[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I ended up liking it more the second time. a lot more. it actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

I ended up liking it more the second time. a lot more. it actually reminds me almost perfectly of a murakami novel and when I stopped expecting a perfect anime ending with everything having a resolution for me, rather than for the characters, I enjoyed it.

was penguindrum a flop? I can literally find zero information on the novels and manga in english.
>>
>>146796850
Agreed, it's definitely an anime that's better after a second watch and time spent thinking about what the show's trying to say.
>>
>>146797250
I was just surprised. For me it went from being maybe somewhere in the top 15 to #1. that's why I'm trying to get my hands on the novels, primarily.
>>
File: tumblr_mt28nbhxlx1qj8bamo1_1280.jpg (479KB, 683x1512px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt28nbhxlx1qj8bamo1_1280.jpg
479KB, 683x1512px
OTP
>>
>>146796850
Was Underground the Murakami work you were reminded of?
>>
File: 1464575080100.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464575080100.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>146796850
I want to save the White Race with Ringo-chan!
>>
>>146797589
There have been translations of a few chapters but if you want to read the complete novels... it's probably time to learn moonrunes
> http://penguindrum.livejournal.com/tag/novels
>>
>>146799425
no but I might make that my next read. I only have read norwegian wood, which itself has heavy parallels that the fujos never mention. there is a love triangle built out of twisted compassion which slowly destroys all three of them, which parallels a twisted revolutionary/terroristic fervor which is also built from twisted compassion. the theme of purity and virginity also runs really strongly though and the virgin in norwegian wood is also cursed with a sort of illness and dies.

also, just learning to take it non-literally like I would an other anime, and approaching it the way I would a book, helped me enjoy it more

>>146799629
mediocre girl
>>
>>146796850
holy shit i read super frog saves tokyo yesterday
fucking murakami
this makes a whole lot more sense now
>>
best girl coming through

>>146799870
Thank you anon. I can actually read runes, it's just very laborious for anything heavier than a manga. Do you have a recommended site for buying import books?

>>146800061
I didn't even realize it was a real book until rewatching the series. It definitely makes explicit half of the ambiguity. The show was definitely written for a Japanese audience. I think it only looks muddled to us because we have different norms regarding justice.

I always thought Kanba's character was ambiguous, but it's pretty clear that he's just evil from a Japanese perspective.
>>
File: Mawaru.Penguindrum.full.830103.jpg (268KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Mawaru.Penguindrum.full.830103.jpg
268KB, 1200x1200px
>>146799000
>not Ringo x Shouma
Utter shit taste.
>>
>>146800936
I think you missed the part where Himari and Shouma pledge to spend eternity together in the afterlife in that big ocean, and you see their souls walking together in the ending.
>>
>>146800385
cdjapan, Amazon.jp probably?
Sorry, I'm a bad person to ask since I don't know Japanese and therefore don't buy many books...
>>
>>146801397
Thanks, I'll try cdjapan. amazon is notorious for rejecting foreign credit cards.
>>
>>146801745
CDJapan is good. I use that place to buy volumes of Birdmen. I like their coupon points system too.
>>
File: penguin0201.png (150KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
penguin0201.png
150KB, 450x253px
>>146800017
>mediocre girl
How do you judge?
>>
>>146803006
this site seems really convenient, thanks.

does anyone have experience buying japanese ebooks online?

>>146803244
She felt more like a plot vehicle than a character. I don't hate her. Shouma might love her more, I'm torn on the issue. He clearly loves Himari too, but their fate on earth was destined to turn their relationship poisonous for as long as it remained on earth. I just don't see how he can be Himari's soul mate, but also love Ringo on earth.

Note that Ringo isn't with them in the afterlife.
>>
>>146803606
But that's about what Shouma feels for her, not what makes her a mediocre girl.
I should have used these images in another order.
>>
>>146803734
Granted. I liked Ringo/Shouma the first watch, because I thought Ikuhara was asspulling us with the soulmate talk, but the second watch I realized that the narrators in Penguindrum are actually extremely reliable, and never really recant anything they say.

Ringo represents the new chance the trio get at correcting their souls (at the cost of their lives.) Maybe that's what Shouma feels.

Supposedly the light novels clarify their feelings more, but I'm not expecting it to become crystal clear. Also, I never paid attention to the Kanji in their names until I started looking for the novel, but it's really important.
>>
Reading the novels now, most of the way through the first one.

Not too many variations from the anime plot-wise so far.
>>
>>146804171
Wait really? I'm really surprised by that, actually.
>>
>>146804628
Well, there's two more novels. Who knows if it'll stay like this.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.