[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mou! >itadakimasu! >baka! >so oishii in my mouth!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9

File: whygod.png (118KB, 589x366px) Image search: [Google]
whygod.png
118KB, 589x366px
>mou!
>itadakimasu!
>baka!
>so oishii in my mouth!

Why do translators like to not translate shit like this?
>>
To preserve the Japanese spirit.
>>
>>146727542
Because people read English translations to learn Japanese of course.
>>
It's usually just for the things that can't be translated though, like itadakimasu (Which some use "let's eat" for anyway so)
>>
>>146728127
>itadakimasu
>can't be translated
Bon Apetit, enjoy the meal, rub-a-dub-dub-thanks-fior-the-grub, many ways to tl it retard.
>>
>>146728256
Lol so funny
>>
Well, 'mou' is an inflection more than a word.
For the rest... flavor most of the time.

I prefer TL Notes (kept fucking short) over westernization or literal adaptation. Jap culture pervase through their media and it's one of the little thing that give their stuff (sometime) that extra bit that I enjoy.

For example, you don't fucking translate honorifics!
>>
>>146728256
>bon apetit
That's fucking French! I'm trying to do an English version here retard.
>>
>>146728256
>>
>>146728755
Seeing manga that has "senior" in it instead of senpai makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>146727542
Weebshit cancer TLs desu. A translation should be completely in english or it's shit by default.
>>
>>146728755
>you don't fucking translate honorifics!
If someone calls his teacher Mari-san, it's obviously Miss Mari. Are you retarded?
>>
>>146728898
Of course. We shouldn't even be using japanese names. Madoka should be Molly, Keitarou should be Ken, etc. We'll rename Tokyo to Los Angeles and rice balls will become jelly donuts.
>>
>>146728949
Yeah there are some situations where you can translate honorifics easily, others where you can't.
>>
>>146728949
Okay. What about Chan? Kun? Sama? Dono? etc. etc.
>>
>>146728818
IT'S A LOANWORD FAGGOT EVERY NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER KNOWS IT
>>
>>146729128
Names aren't considered to be a part of another language. Telling someone that Madoka's will come later is different than saying Her Senpai kidnapped her.

>>146729174
>Chan? Kun?
Not needed at all as those time of honorifics are irrelevant in the english language and have no equivalent.

>Sama? Dono?
Context. Lord, Sir, Master etc. etc. Grow up, weebshit.
>>
>>146728838
What are the best subs for Mitsudomoe?
>>
>>146729356
>>Not needed at all as those time of honorifics are irrelevant in the english language and have no equivalent.
They're not irrelevant in the japanese language though, and since they have no equivalent they should just be added in.

Heck since most of the times honorifics don't have an equivalent but are still relevant for the show or work they should just be left as is.
>>
>>146729430
You don't get it anon. If it is irrelevant for americans it is irrelevant for the world
>>
>>146728949

Teacher is an easy case, although clunky, but what about the use of "<surname>-san" of a new classmate or a more distant acquaintance? Simply dropping the honorific and having them call the other like, "hey, <surname>!" comes across as blunt and militaristic, while calling them by first name is a tad too casual and close for people who aren't in that friendly terms.
>>
>>146729430
>They're not irrelevant in the japanese language though, and since they have no equivalent they should just be added in.
Or better left away as they most of the time add nothing to the series. There are just a few instances were they are relevant. For example when someone stops calling someone else with a -kun to express character development and even that is such a tiny detail that it's not needed to add honorifics to an english translation only for that.

>Heck since most of the times honorifics don't have an equivalent but are still relevant for the show or work they should just be left as is.
How is some school girls calling each other chan relevant? Just erase it and it changes literally nothing about the group dynamic.
>>
>>146729560
>Simply dropping the honorific and having them call the other like, "hey, <surname>!" comes across as blunt and militaristic
If you watched a single anime before, it doesn't. I don't see any issue to people calling guys they don't really know by their surname and their friends by their first name.
>>
>>146729571
>Or better left away as they most of the time add nothing to the series. There are just a few instances were they are relevant. For example when someone stops calling someone else with a -kun to express character development and even that is such a tiny detail that it's not needed to add honorifics to an english translation only for that.
They're almost always relevant because they reveal character tendencies and relationships.
Not to mention that they create an atmosphere.

>How is some school girls calling each other chan relevant? Just erase it and it changes literally nothing about the group dynamic.
It's like a sisterly thing, shows fellowship/camarderie. Reveals closeness. You can't infer that from them just calling each other by their names alone like in english. There are plenty of instances where amongst the same age group people will use widely varying honorifics for different people.
>>
>>146729785
>They're almost always relevant because they reveal character tendencies and relationships.
Which ultimate are irrelevant to the plot. A rude girl calling adults with "firstname-kun" is as rude as a girl just calling adults by their firstname.

>Not to mention that they create an atmosphere.
4U.

>It's like a sisterly thing, shows fellowship/camarderie. Reveals closeness.
Pretty sure everything else they do besides using -chan, does exactly that.

>You can't infer that from them just calling each other by their names alone like in english.
There are plenty of instances where amongst the same age group people will use widely varying honorifics for different people.
Which at the same time gets expressed by their dialog with others andl behaviour towards someone else. Nothing of value is lost if you remove a kun or chan.
>>
>>146729957
>Which ultimate are irrelevant to the plot.
So? Even if it's irrelevant to the plot, does that mean we have to take it out? There's plenty of things in shows that aren't related to honorifics that are irrelevant to plot, should we just cut those out too? That's not a very good argument to be spouting.

>A rude girl calling adults with "firstname-kun" is as rude as a girl just calling adults by their firstname.
No it's not, sometimes it is and sometimes it's not, it really depends on context.

>4U.
Not just for me. Honorifics are deeply steeped into japanese culture, and in the end that's what we're consuming by watching japanese media. You might as well argue we give every show the 4 kids treatment because god forbid those multi-syllabic ching chong words might ruin the viewer's experience.

>Pretty sure everything else they do besides using -chan, does exactly that.
Not always. For example, a 'serious' girl that seems stuck up in every other way might call another girl by -chan, while not letting up her 'serious' attitude at all. This shows that they probably have a long history together and that at one point in their relationship she wasn't so uptight about things as she is now. You can't infer that without the honorific because she'd just look like a stuck up bitch and you wouldn't be able to piece together inferences about their past history like that from just those scenes alone.

>Which at the same time gets expressed by their dialog with others andl behaviour towards someone else. Nothing of value is lost if you remove a kun or chan.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just because something is in excess doesn't mean it should be taken out. You might as well remake the entire anime if you think this way.
>>
>>146728949
I'm okay with most honorifics being untranslated because they don't translate well into English the way the Japanese use them.
For example someone saying Nii-san or Onii-san can easily be translated to Bro, or Onii-sama to Brother.
But Mariko-san or Aida-senpai not so much. Sure, we know that senpai is used to refer to some senior or superior, but actually translating it that way, it sounds kinda clunky.
Imagine how awkward a discussion in englishw ould sound if every time a coworker at an office called his colleague senior "name".

>He, senior John, can you just come over?
>See senior John, I have the problem with this so I can't think of anyone better suited to help me but you senior.

It doesn't go well with the english culture so I feel like some things are better untranslated. But the translators are taking it far to much. It feels like I'm reading more romanized Japanese than English in some manga.
>>
>>146727542
Because they are good translators.
>>
>>146729571
>away as they most of the time add nothing to the series
The usually give away the relationship between characters right in the first episode, except for that one lolsorandom guy who gives everyone nicknames or calls everyone by first name and doesn't use honorifics.
>>
I don't think there's much sadder than weebs complaining about X or Y not being to their particular taste.

You're not fooling anyone. For 99% of translated material, you only have a single fucking choice. You're going to eat it up with or without honorifics, TL notes, script rewrites, mistranslations, literal machine translation work, ad infinitum.

Because you're bottom feeders. If you actually cared about the "original intent" of the text, you'd learn Japanese.
>>
>>146730221
>So? Even if it's irrelevant to the plot, does that mean we have to take it out? There's plenty of things in shows that aren't related to honorifics that are irrelevant to plot, should we just cut those out too? That's not a very good argument to be spouting.
Yes, we should, because unlike other stuff that's irrelevant to the plot. Honorifics show that a translator couldn't genuinely translate a work not another language. Japanese Honorifics aren't english ones, so adding them to a translation in itself is stupid, even more so when they are irrelevant to the plot.

>No it's not, sometimes it is and sometimes it's not, it really depends on context.
Show me a single time where they wouldn't be the same.

>Not just for me. Honorifics are deeply steeped into japanese culture, and in the end that's what we're consuming by watching japanese media. You might as well argue we give every show the 4 kids treatment because god forbid those multi-syllabic ching chong words might ruin the viewer's experience.
We're watching a translation of a japanese work. That's a huge difference. If you're reading a manga in jap, then there's no problem. If it's translated, it shouldn't have any japanese gramma/words in it. You're not supposed to teach people japanese, but give them an english work.

>Not always. For example, a 'serious' girl that seems stuck up in every other way might call another girl by -chan, while not letting up her 'serious' attitude at all. This shows that they probably have a long history together and that at one point in their relationship she wasn't so uptight about things as she is now. You can't infer that without the honorific because she'd just look like a stuck up bitch and you wouldn't be able to piece together inferences about their past history like that from just those scenes alone.
Things like that get addresed in universe, every single time.

1/2
>>
>>146728949
No she doesnt call teacher Miss Mari, since most likely the manga events take place in Japan and she addesses japanese teacher in japanese language.

It makes zero sense translate (wrongly) shit that doesnt need to be translated. If its Churchil addressing British queen as -sama, its one thing. If its japanese person addressing japanese person in japanese language the honorofics are what they are and not whatever you want to translate them as.
>>
>>146730221
>Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just because something is in excess doesn't mean it should be taken out. You might as well remake the entire anime if you think this way.
Not at all. Removing a concept that doesn't exist in english, isn't the same as changing the dialog or removing scenes.
2/2

>>146730426
What the characters do, literally does the same.

>>146730523
>No she doesnt call teacher Miss Mari, since most likely the manga events take place in Japan and she addesses japanese teacher in japanese language.
Now this is legit autism.
>>
>>146728818
Im digging in.
>>
>>146727542
>Why do translators like to not translate shit like this?
>mou!
Well, it's better than "darn you!"
>>
>>146730671
>What the characters do, literally does the same.
Not if they don't get enough screen time.
>>
>>146730846
If their relationship with someone else is relevant, they obviously will.
>>
>>146730523
>since most likely the manga events take place in Japan and she addesses japanese teacher in japanese language.
By that logic nothing should be translated ever.
>>
File: fuckingreat.jpg (721KB, 3185x1348px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingreat.jpg
721KB, 3185x1348px
>>146728838
>>
>>146729355

> cries about loanwords
> most of these Japanese words used in these subs /a/ already know the suggested meaning to

wew lad
>>
>>146730520
>>146730671
Languages have cultural discrepancies, nuances and concepts that are oftentimes difficult to translate with a terse phrase, especially when it's something as oft recurring as an honorific which is literally used all the time. Since honorifics do not take anything out of the experience and can only add to it, they should be left in.

For example, you mentioned girls referring to adults, take this example from Amaama to Inazuka, Yagi is a close family friend, same age as the depicted girl's father. Yet she doesn't call him Uncle Yagi, or Mister Yagi, she calls him Yagi chan. This shows just how close they are, and sheds some light on what kind of relationship these two might have shared in the past. From what I know there's no english equivalent for this that can be related in a short phrase like -chan can do.

Honorifics and things of that sort add a unique japanese flavor to the translation and should not be taken out, since after all we're watching japanese animation here. It's simple enough that it doesn't need to be translated. Just like you don't need to translate 'samurai' into 'knight' or 'warrior' or 'ninja' as 'assassin' or 'hired hand' it's just unnecessary for these phrases to be removed or altered as they are.
>>
>>146731238
I don't see any difference in calling him Yagi-chan instead of Yagi. Both shows that she is close enough to him to avoid a uncle/mister/sir/man.
>>
>>146730945
Relationships can be used to give someone character. Unless you change the dialog, you can't show that everyone likes a person without honorifics.

Lets use an example
We have 2 personos.
They go through the hallway in their school.
Everyone greets them.
One person is greeted by adding chan to the name, the other is greeted by adding sama to the name.

If you translate it to English without changing the dialog, you get the exact same greeting for both if you just leave out the honorifics and I don't have enough faith in translators to want them to change the actual dialog to make the point come across. I understand the meaning/implied meaning of pretty much all the loanwords.
>>
The ameritard "4Kids translate everything" kind are retards.

There is no litteral translation - great example about what "good" translation would be translation of ancient greek, chinese, indian or arab works.

You can translate them in different kinds:
1) Adaptation. Translation for dumbest common auditory. The work has little to do with original, but accessable to those not vesred nor interested into original source much. So that retards could read Kama Sutra, Illiad, Bible whatever in the simplest form.
2) Authored translation. A best accepted translation for most relevant works. Translation does not strive to be litteral - but intends to translate the manings and original source style as good as possible, but pretty much rewritten by specific translator/author for modern style/language. In this case, valued is how good author can represent original`s nuances and meanings , as well language (poetic translation is good example, since you cant translate poetry from language to language freely without loosing rhyme and balance). This type of translation is Authored, but usually also comes with many TL notes showing nuances and background info needed to reader. Reader often has choice between many authored translation he can pick of.
3) Technical. A "litteral" translation. With leaving most of unique/original terms and nuances, with lots of TL and at some text pretty much unreadable normally without constantly looking for interpretation/tl notes. This one however is required for works that need proper translation - in academy, litterature and phylosophy, history etc.

The issue with Manga/anime translation is: for which audience do you translate them?

The point is, that mostly such material is translated for those who already read manga/japanese litterature, consume japanese media as live actions or otherwise, watch anime etc. Even just reading manga, you are a "weeb".
>>
>>146731395
>I don't see any difference in calling him Yagi-chan instead of Yagi
Yagi would sound rude in both english and japanese, with the exception being if they were far too young to even know what 'mister' and 'uncle' is. However Tsumugi (the little girl) is definitely old enough to differentiate between the two and it would appear arrogant if she were to just call him without any titles or honorifics.

Adding a chan to it makes it sound cutesy, like they grew up together (they probably did from that image)
>>
>>146731461

And those people, usually watch undubbed anime and when reading manga often mentally vocalize what they are reading, even if dont know the language - just according to their expeiencs watching anime.

So a translator that translates for them, but translates honorifics or otherwise translates differently as the readers would HEAR the phrases - is a retard.

Full translation is needed only if you translate for kids that only watch dubbed anime and have no experiences with japanese medium at all - which are absolute minority of those who consume manga translations. If you still insist on it - you are failure as translator, and fail to understand what you do and why.

Same and even more severe with subs - if watcher "reads" different thing from what he "hears", you failed. Natural translation - regardless of targeted audience, should strive to avoid such discomfort.
>>
>>146731497
>>146731395
To add onto this, you see a lot of little ojou-samas calling their servants by just their surname or just their given name - without any honorifics - See the difference?
>>
>>146728949
You are absolutely fucked whenever there's a conversation about honorifics in the anime or manga.
See >>>/jp/15728018 and try translating it.
>>
>>146729635
>If you watched a single anime before, it doesn't.

It does. It sticks to my eye every time I see it. Though I don't read subtitles much these days.
>>
>>146731453
>One person is greeted by adding chan to the name, the other is greeted by adding sama to the name.
Sama can or rather must be translated, so your point is moot.

>>146731497
So Yagi-chan is not rude in english? Literally what? You're forgetting that -chan is a non-english concept,s o it may give a weeb that feeling, but isn't a objectively good translation.

>>146731584
>You are absolutely fucked whenever there's a conversation about honorifics in the anime or manga.
You act like that would be a common thing.
>>
ITT: People arguing about how to translate a language they don't understand
>>
>>146731659
>You act like that would be a common thing.
It in fact is quite common. If you read the media in Japanese instead of using commie translations, you would know.
>>
>>146731733
>It in fact is quite common. If you read the media in Japanese instead of using commie translations, you would know.
Show me how many anime in this season did it. Show me how many popular manga did it.
>>
>>146731238
I'm with this anon. Honorifics don't need to be translated. A five-year old can figure out most of them pretty quickly, given enough exposure.

That said, it irks me when phrases like "Baka" are left untranslated. Seriously? Just change it to idiot, dammit, the implications are pretty much the same in both languages. English has plenty of Japanese loan words but Baka is not one of them.

Especially if it's dubbed, good god, don't make English voice actors butcher the Japanese phrasing. Some of them are already bad enough. Mispronouncing names is understandable, if annoying, since "LOL ANIMASHUN FOR CHEELDRUN" and the producers may not know how to pronounce the names themselves. Leaving shit untranslated as flavor and then not pronouncing it properly is fucking unacceptable. Just change it to English already, goddamn.
Also, don't translate names. Ever. Proper nouns need to be left in Japanese, because that's their fucking name.
>>
>>146730970
>you fridge. arigatou!

Every time
>>
Honorifics?
Recently I read manga and it had okka-san, otto-san, onee-san, oba-san and other weabooish shit. Why not just translate it directly - mother, sister and shit? It was painful to read it even though I knew the meaning of all those words. This shit is more retarded than any shit you discuss about honorifics here.
>>
>>146731659
>So Yagi-chan is not rude in english?
Yagi is rude in english, Yagi-chan in japanese said by a close relative is not on the other hand all that rude given the circumstances.
On the other hand, Uncle Yagi/Mister Yagi sounds very formal, Yagi sounds rude yet Yagi-chan sounds close and endearing.
>>
>>146732042
Why are americans so retarded? Do they have something in their water?
>>
>>146731900
Nah, we need rice balls to be jelly donuts.
>>
>>146732095
Not for an EOP who translations should be aimed at.
>>
>>146732161
Being single language nation with zero exposure for other cultures.
>>
>>146732042
Because most people in English speaking countries don't refer to their sister as "Big Sister" and it's a bit jarring to hear people do so in translated works.

Not that "Onee-chan" isn't jarring, but it's less so and in more of a good way, if that makes sense.
>>
>>146732209
>EOP
?
>>
>>146732253
>"Onee-chan" isn't jarring
How is it jarring? Might as well go watch dubbed anime then.
>>
>>146732253
Why shoudnt japanese words be jarring? The events happen in Japan, different culture, different language. Whats the obsession with taking cube and trying to fit it into triangle hole?

Its different, live with it.
>>
>>146731792
I don't make notes, but I just watched QUALITY Code, and that has a conversation about honorifics.
>>
>>146732265
Someone who speaks only english or in this context not jap.
>>
>>146732253
Usually it doesn't matter if it's "big" or "little" sister. Just sister. It works.
>>
>>146732388
>1 instance
>many
Keep posting
>>
>>146729396
FFF is the only group that put out a decent release while it aired unfortunately. It's not one of their worst though, and the humor generally isn't lost if you have a basic understanding of what's going on. I suggest grabbing Elysium for S1 BDs and polished for S2 since they have both the FFF track and the modified CR track that some prefer.
>>
>>146732323
It's not jarring only because you heard it for years now. But I'm sure it was jarring for the first few weeks when you started watching anime. Just like "okaa-san" will be jarring even for experienced anime viewers since it's almost never used in translations.
>>
>EOP arguing about which variety of feces is best
>>
>>146732624
>But I'm sure it was jarring for the first few weeks when you started watching anime.
No, it wasn't.

I'm not some cultural xenophobiac that has had no exposure to other people's customs, foods ideas or languages, so it didn't bother me at all one bit. If you're watching anime you're already steeped in weebshit, so might as well go along with it than be half assed about it.
>>
>>146727542
>itadakimasu
Nigger, that one is totally justified. There is no equivalent ceremonial/etiquette phrase, and translating it literally sounds stupid as fuck.
>>
>>146729635
What if someone is addressing another character as "surname-san" and then the latter tells them to drop the "san" without switching to the first name?
>>
>>146732826
“Let’s eat,” “Bon appétit,” or “Thanks for the food.” depending on the characters edge level. Wow that was hard.
>>
>>146732826
I'm sorry you're a godless heathen.
>>
>>146731900
>Also, don't translate names
Well, sometimes it's acceptable, if the name is actually a title or nickname, like how in the Sunabozu dub Sunabozu's and Amagumo's names were translated to "Desert Punk" and "Rain Spider" actually helped the viewer who might not know what those words mean understand better.

That said, in subbed anime I'd still prefer to keep the original names with maybe a TL note the first time they appear, as subs ought not to be localized like dubs are.
>>
>>146732947
>Mr. X, you should-
>Y, you nigga, drop the Mr.
>>
>>146732450
I said I don't keep notes, you troll nigger.
Besides, one instance is all you need when you are a translator. If it appears in the anime you are translating, what will you do? Answer >>146731584
>>
>>146733068
>says it's common
>can only name one instance
Just fuck off, you phony.
>>
>>146732265
English-Only-Person. Somebody that only speaks English. A pejorative used mainly by /jp/ and a few /a/nons.

>>146732437
I have a brother and I've never once referred to him as "brother" or "little brother" or even "bro" in my nearly 30 years of life. I call him by name only. This is also the case for every other set of siblings I know. I had never experienced a culture that commonly used familial terms of address until Japan, which uses them not only for actual family members but also for total strangers.
>>
>>146732950
>Let's eat
>Thanks for the food
Neither of those are common etiquette phrases to say before a meal, and both of them would be particularly odd if eating alone.

>Bon appétit
Do you not know how bon appétit works or something? You say it to someone else who's about to eat.
>>
>>146733180
>both of them would be particularly odd if eating alone.
And you think Itadakimasu would be different? That's literally the implication of Itadakimasu. Being happy about the meal one receives/appreciating it.

>>Bon appétit
>Do you not know how bon appétit works or something? You say it to someone else who's about to eat.
Pretty sure people use Itadakimasu as well when they are eating with others.
>>
>>146733113
Oh Herkz.
>>
>>146733290
Kill yourself.
>>
>>146733263
Not him but there's no real problems leaving itadakimasu untranslated. It seems ludicrous you're fine with "bon appetit" yet are so prejudiced against itadakimasu, as if there's no room in the brain to learn a new cultural phrase with a different nuance than any of the previously existing ones. I find the people who argue most strenuously against leaving it untranslated either have an irrational hatred of the Japanese language and culture, or else they're a turbo autist who thinks translations need to follow arbitrarily strict rules.
>>
>>146733063
That doesn't work well if they're two classmates (I forgot to point that out)
>>
>>146733629
>as if there's no room in the brain to learn a new cultural phrase with a different nuance than any of the previously existing ones
That's not the point of the discussion though. You can literally learn every single japanese concept without learning the japanese language itself. Question is, where's the point in it, when you want a translation?
>>
>>146732209
No, actually, for an EOP that is better, since it conveys the meaning more effectively. Even EOPs know what -chan means, and if you really, really think they don't, you can just throw in a TL note the first time it's said.
>>
If you really care about preserving the specifics of Japanese language and culture, learn it yourself.
>>
>>146733810
>No, actually, for an EOP that is better
Yeah, how about manga teaches people japanese instead of being adaptions, right?
>>
>>146732209
Do you really want to cater to a brain dead audience?
>>
>>146733750
You leave it untranslated when there's something specifically Japanese about the word that doesn't translate well. Why not translate ninja as assassin? Or samurai as knight?
>>
>>146727542
I bet you watch dubbed anime too.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-29-03-10-08.png (611KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-29-03-10-08.png
611KB, 960x540px
>>
>>146733900
Well, there are more people who watch anime and are shit at jap than the other way around.
>>
>>146733964
>are shit at jap than the other way around.
If you can't figure out honorifics, then you really are mentally challenged.

I don't want more retards in the community because that will inevitably lead to shittier boards everywhere, including my sekrit klub.
>>
>>146733902
>Why not translate ninja as assassin? Or samurai as knight?
Because both, Ninja and Samurai are already, officially words that are considered part of the englisch language as well. I would even go as far as saying that both terms are known internationally at this point. Chan isn't.
>>
>>146732437
Nobody calls their sister "sister" in English. They use their name. Honorific suffixes and titles are not common in English. Things that do not translate should not be translates, particularly in a medium such as this which is aimed at people who assumedly already have some basic knowledge of the cultural context.
>>
>>146733902
Samurai and ninja are both words that appear in English dictionary so that's not good examples. In fact you can often see "bushi" in Japanese being translated to "samurai" in English.

At the end there's no proper answer, but you have to consider the target audience, the importance of particular term for the story at hand and difficulty in finding target language equivalent. /a/ acts way too autistic about this like this is an uncomplicated process with one universal correct answer.
>>
>>146734026
>If you can't figure out honorifics
Who said anyone couldn't learn it? Again, you're missing the point of the discussion.
>>
>>146734044
Words only get to be that way because someone, at some point, decided it was a concept that couldn't be honestly translated.
>>
>>146734099
No, you're missing the point. There's no reason to neuter translations to cater to a braindead, casual audience.
>>
>>146734116
That doesn't justify leaving random words in japanese and hoping that they will becoming as big as Ninja.
>>
>>146734151
There literally is. Why else would you translate, if not for "normal" people from which you can't even expect a basic japanese understanding? Anyone good in Jap would just read it raw.
>>
>>146734192
They're not random, though, they're words that don't have a good English equivalent. Would you translate chuuni?
>>
>>146734250
>Would you translate chuuni?
Probably. Depends on the context though and the specific sentence.
>>
>>146734250
>Would you translate chuuni?
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>146734250
>They're not random, though, they're words that don't have a good English equivalent.
Not necessarily, languages and words aren't logical like that. Sometimes people import words because it's exotic, more marketable or more memorable than using the domestic equivalence. Sometimes it's a matter of convenience or a tradition brought in by immigrants.
>>
>>146734391
Because it has no good equivalent. Almost like that's why they didn't bother translating it when they did the dub of Chuunibyou
>>
When will you faggots understand that official translations are targeted at everyone, from the weebest otaku to normal-newfags? Not translating the honorifics would confuse the latter, which is a shame because they give the product a nice Japanese flavor. Using translator notes is probably the best option though.
>>
For anime sub it's understandable because it fit what's the characters are actualy saying. For the mangas it's just part of the "manga vocabulary"
>>
File: 1387542890608.jpg (135KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1387542890608.jpg
135KB, 800x600px
>>146733873
If you can't translate something you should leave it as-is and explain what it means and why it can't be translated. And we're talking about a subtitled anime here, where the original audio is still present. In a manga the more liberal translator can maybe justify himself since it is wont to be more akin to a full localization, though even then it's often more effective to keep untranslatable words and simply explain them, but subbed anime does not lend itself to localization, nor should it be treated as one.

I don't know what the hell happened actually; everybody used to use TL notes and honorifics until several years ago, and it was even fairly common in licensed and officially-translated manga. I don't read licensed manga much anymore but anime watchers generally used to like not being treated like idiots and having literal translations and untranslatable aspects explained explicitly. Is this all because of the influx of hulu/netflix/whatever users who have only just quit watching exclusively dubs and demand their subs to be the same?
>>
>>146732450

I can off the top of my head remember this happening recently in Hero Academia where the translated version without honorifics didn't even make any sense. Less recently, Kanon (2006) had a scene that wouldn't make any sense without honorifics.

This not even including simple dialouges like "xx-kun? Not xx-san?" or similar lines that I can't remember specific examples of off the top of my head, but aren't uncommon.

Its pointless to translate them anyway though, unless there's a valid context reason like >>146730523 . Leaving the honorifics alone is a lot clearer in meaning than translating Onee-san to "Big Sis" or something.
>>
>>146734612
/a/ has always had TL note hate threads, which were often justified because most TL notes are pointless and silly. With that said some people have become so against the idea they think everything can and should be translated to target language, and the failure to do so is only due to translator's skill.
>>
I remember shistorm when these videos came out. Newfags should really watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_BWQ9Kow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8oYz1dP0-k
>>
File: 1328004599929.jpg (81KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1328004599929.jpg
81KB, 1920x1080px
>>146730970
>What you want

Do subs like that exist though? I think I could learn moon a lot faster with this method.
>>
>>146735262
Some of this is pure nitpicking.
>>
>>146735497
Just buy the BDs.
>>
>>146735497
For manga, you can find raws googling, tiebaing.
For anime, nobody is gonna bother to sub and time your shit so you should get the closed captions and time it on your video player. I still think it's a bit distracting to read, and you should rather stick to your book exercises or whatever unless what you're watching doesn't have subs or has simple language.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.