[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Subaru a bad character or a good character? Is he relatable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (334KB, 1000x1275px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334KB, 1000x1275px
Is Subaru a bad character or a good character? Is he relatable or annoying? Is he realistic or just inconsistently written to create drama?

What's the truth /a/? It can't be both.
>>
>willing to kill himself in Arc 2 for the maids
>unwilling to kill himself in Arc 3 until Emilia dies

You know, Re Zero would probably be more interesting if it focused more on how the protagonist valued his life less and less.
>>
>>146632989
He's a bad person but a good character.
>>
>>146632989
He is not regular in his way of thinking.
which makes a lot of scenes forced drama
>>
>>146632989
He's not relatable, he's dysfunctional.
>>
>>146632989
He killed himself for himself. His character revolves around the views of others and depending on how people will view him, his mask will begin to shatter. His true desire is to have expectations and acknowledgement from people to where he can feel self-worth.
>>
Every single character is created to make drama in some sense. Subaru is supposed to be a dysfunctional neet.
>>
He's well written, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>146633126
He did not kill himself for them. He felt acknowledgement from remembering the hand-holding. From that moment, he only gained strength to kill himself. The recent arc only revealed that he revolves around people's views, not people themselves.
>>
He's a psychopath
>>
>>146633506
*sociopath
>>
He's average, but plebs like to overrate him becausu they don't know any better
>>
File: img000023.png (1MB, 958x1400px) Image search: [Google]
img000023.png
1MB, 958x1400px
>>146633389
He's a truant. Not a NEET.
>>146633126
Valuing his own life in the matter is rather strange. If you put your life on the line to move ahead in life, are you throwing it away? No, killing yourself and making a bet on your life are two different things. What Subaru desires is to live, not throw away his life.
>>
>>146633592
> becausu
That's funny, considering how you state that while you look like an idiot. It seems like you don't know any better.
>>
>>146633708
because*
Are you happy now?
>>
>>146632989
He is just genuinely retarded
>>
>>146633741
No, you forgot the damn period as well.
>>
>>146633480
>Subaru didn't actually care for the maids

Are we really doing this.
>>
File: 026.png (413KB, 826x1200px) Image search: [Google]
026.png
413KB, 826x1200px
>>146633772
I call him being unprepared. He's perceptive, but not very good at interpreting what's going on without spending time to plan out. He has good memory, but he's too reckless and gets his emotions ahead of him to desire acknowledgement from others. He lacks a calm mind and time to plan.
>>
>>146633782
Ah, yeah. Well, it doesn't change the fact that plebs overrate him.
>>
File: i031.jpg (231KB, 869x1271px) Image search: [Google]
i031.jpg
231KB, 869x1271px
>>146633822
He felt like he mattered from remembering. The views of people makes him feel like he has self-worth and connection. Until now, he valued how people looked at him, but since he is expected to be a hero, he will try to meet that expectation and value others.
>>
who cares, this anime will be forgotten in a month
>>
>>146634048
No, he's always genuinely valued others. Rem said so in episode 18.
>>
>>146633954
> plebs
You plebeian. Try to use the full word. It goes on both sides. Contrarians undermine him and fans still don't understand what his character really is. Don't act contrarian with me. It is another excuse to say, "I have no idea what this character is all about." Also, you should be more careful with your own image when you decide to state something. Otherwise, you look like a hypocrite. Call it overthinking, but I prefer if people start to insult or claim something, they should look at themselves.
>>
>>146634221
That is her view of what Subaru should be and what Subaru will be for her.
>>
>>146634221
That is what Rem sees and expects of Subaru to be. And he will be that kind of person. Subaru revolves around the views of people. If he truly valued people, he would have killed himself for Rem and the others. But no, he tried to keep looking for someone alive to acknowledge him and his self-worth among those dead bodies.
>>
>>146632989
he;s inconsistent and i hate him
>>
>>146634341
>Contrarians
Or maybe he's just really not that good as you think? Buf feel free to keep calling everyone a "contrarian" and making yourself look stupid.

Don't worry though, once you grow up and read/watch some actual good stuff outside of anime, you'll understand how wrong you were.
>>
>>146634797
>buf
But*
I know you're really sensitive about these things.
>>
>>146634797
> buf
> Telling me that I look stupid.
Buddy, you just shot your own foot in this matter. It is hypocritical to use an ad hominem against me at this point.
>>
>>146634848
>>146634797
And you tell me I'm stupid. You would do well to look at yourself the next time you insult me. That was the biggest flaw in how you used an ad hominem against me. But I commend you for trying to correct yourself. But you cannot erase what you said against me.
>>
>>146635153
I see your autism only in Re:zero related threads, do you not care for other shows?
>>
>>146634377
And it's intended to be true. Subaru tries to make himself out to be someone terrible but Rem shows that he's actually someone good.
>>
File: 1458788854553.jpg (180KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
1458788854553.jpg
180KB, 945x945px
Wait, if he only acts acording with what others expect/think of him, then how is he able to do shit like being denied by the entire group of knights, or getting angry after being played by Anastasia just as she thought he would? Is it just that he only cares about how certain people view him? doesn´t that Imply that he has some form of attachment to them?
>>
>>146634489
>That is what Rem sees and expects of Subaru to be. And he will be that kind of person

The point of episode 18 was that he was already that sort of person. Rem even lists all the great things he did. He'd already killed himself for other people once.
>>
>>146635302
I don't call it my all-time favorite nor do I not watch other shows. There are many other series that I love and certainly think are better than Re:Zero. Though this is my perspective into the matter. Though I prefer not to undermine aspects that people do not acknowledge. Take it as a grain of salt, no biggie.
>>
Subaru's character development is some of the best in any form of media.
>>
>>146635600
>>146635397
Wrong, he decided to mold himself into that kind a person. That is how he changed and developed into. That was at first now he will become that kind of person that Rem sees. Subaru gets purpose from people but at first, through their views, but now it is truly people that matter to him now.
>>
>>146635759
Here is your reply sir, would you like some reaction images to go with it?
>>
Fine in the first arc, although I understand if some people found him unbearable. The second arc during his whole CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIN phase is just awful. No logic, no coherence, just bad storytelling. they wanted to show some sort of character change and decided to do it with typical shounen screaming and shock value (even the body horror is tame). Real dissapointment, the first 10-12 episodes are very well done.
>>
>>146635477
Because he is being seen through by people knowing it is true. Julius and Anastasia did nothing wrong but they see through what Subaru did and what he desired. You would not like a person to see through your own deception and desire.
>>
>>146635759
Here.
>>
>>146632989
The fact everything he says in that photo collage is true just shows the early arc 3 writing was hamfisted forced drama. It might reflect on his character, but not nearly to the extent Tappei exaggerated it.
>>
>>146635759
Is this supposed be false-flagging? Seriously, so many shitposters for this show.
>>
>>146633208
Finally someone else understood this.
>>
>>146632989
His actual influence over events is quite small, especially at the start of an arc. Aside from his obnoxiousness he's pretty much a deer in the headlights like Ichigo in bleach. From meeting an infamous serial killer on his first day in isekai land to being killed several times by maids for esoteric reasons to everyone he likes being killed in a single day, it feels like the entire universe one day conspired to shit on him.

I think one of the biggest features of an isekai story is that most real world knowledge and abilities become irrelevant, which is one of the reasons why NEET MCs are often used. The reason why I don't buy his confession in episode 18 is that the story makes out that his failings have to do with him being a NEET, which is simply not true. I doubt having a degree and job would help you much in dealing with infamous serial killers, demon maids, massive flying whales which can erase existences with its breath, or a dark magic cult.

My point is that the show shits on Subaru and tries to make it look like his fault by making him somewhat unlikable.
>>
>>146635779
Except there's the whole part where Rem lists off Subaru's good traits including how he always looks back occasionally when he walks that shows he was always someone good.
>>
>>146635862
That whole phase was him being a bitch after finding out how they viewed him and felt worthless. Views of others. Damn you people.
>>
>>146635907
Exactly. Such a shame since the show probably could have stood on its own without the whole attempt at "omg so dark and serious."
>>
>>146635958
He's not a NEET. He's a truant. Subaru wanted to be onstage, then let him be on stage and be a player.
>>
>>146635937
Yes what a truly deep revelation about one of the most complex characters of our time. It's a deconstruction!
>>
>>146635907
Wrong. It means he wanted recognition for what he believes are accomplishments. In the end, his desire leads him to being self-centered.
>>
>>146636108
Kill yourself, you sarcastic son of a bitch.
Fuck you all. Contrarians mock the idea of deconstruction. Fans use the idea of deconstruction. I have no idea what kind of notion people are using. So fuck you all. This is the only thing that occurs.
> What first seems to be fantasy with a hero summoned.
> Turns out to become slowly about a person that wants to be acknowledged and self-worth and willing to be in this world for acknowledgement and gain from others
> Becomes a story about a man that is no hero but is willing to go as far as he can with each life he has been given to meet expectations and be a better person.
Is that not it?
>>
>>146635477
He does that shit EXACTLY because he compulsively cares what others think about him. Somewhere inside he kinda knows all the bravado is gonna backfire, but he can't help it. He can't look at the big picture because the desire to appear impressive in the moment is so compelling. Julius emasculated him in front of everybody. Letting it go would equate to accepting a loss of ground as far as his image goes in the short term, so he chooses to accept the challenge knowing full well he stands to lose even more pride in the long term, because there's just a small shred of hope that somehow, reality could grant him favor, and he could just maybe find a way to avoid losing face all together.

People who don't think like Subaru have a hard time understanding him, but he's not badly written. Most of his actions are the combination of procrastination, laziness, and narcissism.
>>
>>146636027
What? I don't speak broken LNfag english, care to explain further?
>>
>>146636063
No, it is own desire that led him to his flaws of being self-centered and reckless. See it anymore than that and you are being an idiot. Just like how you are mocking it.
>>
>>146634341
>You plebeian. Try to use the full word. It goes on both sides. Contrarians undermine him and fans still don't understand what his character really is. Don't act contrarian with me. It is another excuse to say, "I have no idea what this character is all about." Also, you should be more careful with your own image when you decide to state something. Otherwise, you look like a hypocrite. Call it overthinking, but I prefer if people start to insult or claim something, they should look at themselves.
I like this way of looking at him. It's like, I don't get him, really, but if I squint, he starts to make sense. He's a complex character, not a pile of traits.
>>
>>146636205
This isn't a pasta or bait right? If not, it's copypasta gold for later.
>>
>>146634512
He's remarkably consistent actually.
>>
>>146636266
Excuse me, but you are too lazy to find out on your own. Also, next time you criticize my English, look at your own.>>146635862
You forgot to capitalize "they".
>>
>>146636205
>hero but
Opinion discarded, learn to write before getting into an argument.
>>
>>146633126
It was different when the white whale is the thing that will kill you, no eat you alive.
>>
>>146636385
Fuck you. I copy-pasted it myself.
>>
>>146636396
We are typing. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>146635958
It's not about how Subaru would have succeeded more with his overall plans had he been a well adjusted member of society. It's about how Subaru would have handled his interpersonal relationships better if he didn't get so ahead of himself at the start of Arc 3. That's what he's at fault for.
>>
>>146636420
That's just him being unprepared for that crap.
>>
>>146632989
Subaru reminds me of Tidus in too many ways.
He's a NEET tossed in way over his head who spent, what was it, 6 episodes acting like a complete shithead?
Maybe he's a decent character to some (people like Tidus, somehow), but I dropped this anime after the whale popped up, mainly because I couldn't stand the little shit.
Series has good waifus. When I don't want to start a war in places where I have a username, that's what I say. But Subaru made Rem look bad for sticking by his side, and Rem was one of the best things this anime had going for it.
>>
>>146636519
Nice backpedaling.
Just admit that you were stupid and that you won't make the same mistake anymore.
>>
>>146636600
Wait, Tidus wasn't a NEET, he had a job in Final Fantasy.
>>
>>146636600
Re Zero doesn't have good waifus. The only likable girl is Rem.
>>
>>146636600
Nice dubs, but I have to report you to the admins for such a controversial opinion. And so soon after you made a name for yourself on this site, what a pity.
>>
>>146636600
Samefag.
As an addendum, I'm not willing to make excuses for or justify this character. I understand that some people are willing to do that. He gets no pass from me.
>>
>>146636658
It was a copy-pasta. You were right. I didn't notice until now that a comma was forgotten.
>>
>>146635958
His failings are subtle, but the show doesn't randomly shit on him, nor was his confession in episode 18 bullshit.

Subaru has always been lazy and pathetic, but his pride covers it up. The guy Subaru appears to be for most of the show is a just an act. He's content with knowing he himself is lazy and pathetic because he hates himself, however he can't tolerate other people viewing him this way.
>>
>>146636717
I give Subaru pity for his existance, no empathy.
>>
>>146636759
>Subaru
>lazy

Yeah right. A truly lazy person would have just ditched Emilia after the first loop.
>>
>>146636759
I wouldn't call it pride, I call it self-hating narcissism. Self-centered. Besides, we've seen him hide his true emotions and it was stated by Elsa to do so.
>>
>>146636673
And he doesn't have daddy issues, either. Subaru's hangup is that his occupation makes him unfit to deal with his situation, whereas Tidus benefited from bad writing to learn how to use a sword in 10 seconds.
But both are self-important crybabies pulled from their own world who cling to the nearest girl for comfort. Neither is willing to learn more about the world, but rather act like they would in their own as if it would work, inciting conflict along the way.
>>
>>146636826
I call that half-assed effort by not being fully prepared. That's lazy in its own right.
>>
>>146636826
Lazy isn't defined by just one course of action.
>>
>>146632989
he's a plot device. it's annoying to have him learn lessons in one arc that he completely forgets in the next just so he can go through a couple of death loops.
>>
>>146633343
>He's not relatable, he's dysfunctional.

That dysfunctionality makes him relatable to me.
>>
>>146632989
He is very prideful.
>>
>>146636976
What lesson? Learning and using magic and shit?
>>
>>146636976
It's a deconstruction of bad plots.
>>
>>146636946
There was nothing he could have done to prepare until he coincidentally met the White Whale. Not giving up after what happened in episode 15 and his requests for help being refused shows he isn't lazy.
>>
>>146637039
>>146636976
What are fucking talking about? Be specific, don't be lazy.
>>
>>146632989

I was getting super annoyed with the protagonist being a complete dumbass the entire show, all the unnecessary gore and characters behaving nonsensically and that loony villain guy from the 15th episode, but the 18th episode redeemed the show and gave meaning to most of what happened, and even made Subaru somewhat tolerable. I don't think Re:Zero is a good anime by any means, but after that episode I can at least consider it OK. It just needs more characterisation like that and less "lol subaru got dismembered and deaded again, suffering and feels ;_;"
>>
>>146637050
He never bothered to put up actual negotiations that time. That was terrible preparation he made to try and request help and not being prepared to be calm. Half-assed effort.
>>
>>146637144
Fuck you and your emoticons. Where the fuck are you copy-pasting this shit from?
>>
>>146637192
Are you new to /a/?
>>
>>146637083
*you
>>
>>146632989

Terrible main character in a badly written series.
>>
>>146637151
There wasn't much time and he had nothing to offer. It's only after he met the White Whale that he had anything to bargain with.
>>
>>146637256
Yes, why?
>>
>>146636095
I feel that would have had more impact if Subaru actually chose to enter the isekai. Besides, whether he's "on stage" or not, the fact he has the scent of the witch means mabeasts would still be attracted to him. It's wholly possible that if he ran away, the white whale would have caught up to him anyway. Also, in the mansion, he was just minding his own business when he got killed by ram/rem. If the story is about him wanting to be a main character in a story, then he should mostly be thrusting himself into events like with the princess meeting thing. Instead, most events just happen to/around him without much input on his part.
>>
>>146632989
>Is Subaru a bad character or a good character?
Good character and good person.
>Is he relatable or annoying?
Neither.
>Is he realistic or just inconsistently written to create drama?
The latter.
>>
>>146637281
No, he had never bothered to fully think through because he was focused on revenge. That's not being prepared. That's being lazy.
>>
>>146637256
>>146637300
Wait, why the fuck is someone impersonating me? Fuck you, I'm not new.
>>
>>146636826
He is lazy, but it's just not his only trait, or even his most defining trait. Above all else he cares about his image.

As a truant/NEET or whatever, he stayed reclused from the rest of the world, and therefore never had to care about people's opinions of him, because he really didn't exist to other people.

In the new world, he thought it would be like an anime and reality would guide him, so he developed relationships, but once it became apparent this new world wasn't just gonna conform to his wishes, he could no longer go back because the desire to keep up expectations is too great for him.
>>
>>146636390
im going by the anime if this is what its about
I refuse to touch the source material.
>>
>>146637360
He's not inconsistent, you are being fooled by a misconception of Subaru.
>>
>get to royal selection episode
>"finally we can get back to the good parts"
>series proceeds to double down on its cringe worthy attempt at edge and refocuses on some losers autism

They should just remake everything about the series except without the tryhard attempt at some deep or troubled MC. In fact, fuck the MC entirely. Just make the series about that world and the royal selection as if he never appeared and it might be interesting.
>>
>>146637453
Ok, but he's closer to inconsistency than realism.
>>
>>146637305
That would not exactly work. The smell dissipates after awhile. The whale is being controlled.
>>
>>146632989
well that depends. He does forget lessons he already learns but thats more for realism. In real life people don't just 'get over' a problem, they struggle with the same issue for their entire lives making incidental progress.
>>
>>146637531
I'll take "mental gymnastic feats" for 500$ Alex.
>>
>>146637512
What inconsistency? Be specific. If it's about his emotions then here how it goes:
> Depending on the views of others, he will be and feel like that kind of view.
> What you see as his goofy and going about the day is just a mask as pointed by Elsa and will break down depending on others view him.
>>
>>146637452
Yes, from the anime alone, Subaru's actions are consistent with what he values.
>>
Ew weebs
>>
>>146637690
>depending on others view him
Just stop.
>>
>>146637781
*how
Thank you for pointing that out.
>>
>>146637367
He had nothing to offer even if he did think it through. His only choice was to make an emotional appeal.
>>
>>146637512
But that's not true.

Just imagine yourself for a second. If you were constantly put under the microscope for others, can you say that everything you do would seem rational to the audience?
>>
>>146637855
That was a half-assed effort for not fully planning the thing out.
>>
>>146637616

I fucking hate myself
>Subaru~ I rabu yuuu
I'm okay again
>>
>>146637900
His emotional appeals were anything but half-assed. He even kissed someone's foot. He just had nothing to offer until he met the White Whale by coincidence.
>>
>>146637904
No, Subaru realized no one expected nothing of him. Rem gave him her views of what she expects of him and Subaru plans to meet that expectation. The views, acknowledgement, and expectations of others are what Subaru depend on.
>>
>>146637691
This. I didn't even read the WN, but I could immediately understand his actions after watching far enough in to the anime.

His traits and flaws aren't universally relatable, but his actions aren't bad writing.
>>
File: Pathetic.jpg (104KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Pathetic.jpg
104KB, 800x1200px
>>146637970
He did not truly prepare himself of his own image into the matter and looked extremely pathetic. No matter how much you can decide to try to appeal to emotions, actual context of your own image and situation of the negotiations are too much to consider to be written off.
>>
>>146637904
Subaru still hates himself. Everything he's currently doing is because Rem told him she sees him as a hero. He wants to fulfill those expectations.
>>
>>146637781
Stop what? He's right.
>>
>>146638011
>>146638190
not the guy talking about lessons btw

but i still stand by him in part, it felt contrived as fuck for him to (acknowledging off-screen time) bounce from the bottom of the barrel back into master planning mode just because of Rem's confession
>>
>>146632989
He acts like he deserves empathy when nobody could ever know what he is going through.

I don't know if that is terrible writing or intended. So I'm going to write him off as an inconsistent and unrealistic character who forces drama he shouldn't have to force. His emotional and psychological issues could go deeper but no it's the regular ol' 'WHY CANT U UNDERSTAND ME' so prevalent in teenage literature.

Re:Zero has shitty characters but I guess it's fun to watch.
>>
>>146638118
Because he was pathetic. He had nothing, so appealing for pity points was all there was to do. And frankly, after the torture from episode 15, he wasn't in any mental shape for negotiations, so it's not really laziness.
>>
>>146638379
> Master planning mode.
Subaru has good memory and perception, as shown in the series, if he bothers to calm his emotions and try to piece together with time he was given in that day, he can achieve. Though, those negotiations were still flimsy and Subaru cracked a sweat.
>>
>>146638475
That is not being prepared. He could not prepare himself for not his anger of the negotiation going his way or being prepared for a better bargain. Winging it and thinking you'll succeed is a half-assed effort with under-preparation. Subaru never truly succeeded on his own. Those times were Reinhardt because he was lucky since Reinhardt was told by Subaru about the slums and Rosewaal acting like an asshole until the right moment to save him ( Rosewaal is still an asshole letting things happen, why else is he not around?)
>>
>>146638523
its not really about the plan itself and more about how he was instantly able to calm down and think rationally after all the trash he went through just because of a dialogue
>>
>>146638709
His mind and mentality revolves around people. From one glance, you can look at it like that. But if you look at the context, Subaru revolves around people's views to keep up some sense of image to have self-worth and purpose for himself.
>>
>>146638383
You hit the core of it, the same old teen angst narrative is being treated as some sort of unique or great story. If his despair was really so great, there are many times where he could just restart by becoming an hero. It's not that the series is automatically terrible because of some flawed writing. But there's no need to try to explain everything as if it's all perfect and planned.
>>
>>146638693
He can't do anything but wing it. He wasn't being lazy, when he is being lazy Rem calls him out on it.
>>
>>146637904
Yes, being told straight up that you are loved and valued generally helps your self-esteem. It might not fix all your issues, but it could very possibly give you an immediate boost. As it does with Subaru.
>>
>>146638383
It's because he's narcissistic.

Narcissism is just one of those traits that's incredibly hard to explain if you don't have it. It can cause you to do knowingly contradictory things due to an internal urge to always been seen as awesome 100% of the time.

Trump is a perfect example of this. The vast majority of people either think he's incredibly stupid or playing 4D chess, and it's because he does things that seem unexplainable due to his narcissism. The truth of the matter is, he's a fairly smart guy who shoots himself in the foot constantly due to the desire to maintain a godly image, but he's neither a genius magician or an idiot, just narcissistic.
>>
>>146638383
>>146638869
It's not the entire empathy of it, it is how it reveals Subaru trying to brag about accomplishments and thinking that he should matter because of it. No one expected him to do anything. He wanted to appeal through his bullshit to feel like he matters in people's eyes through his actions. No empathy you should feel, it is pity for Subaru's pathetic existance for trying to appeal to his own image from others.
>>
>>146639016
He was already told that by Rem before. He knows. That didn't exactly work but Rem having expectations did. That gave Subaru purpose to continue.
>>
>>146638856
so, keeping in mind that i'm a complete retard

what you're saying is that since he is so hellbent on looking good to other people that he can make these total instant 180s because he sees the actions that he'll take as the most correct way to impress others/live up to expectations? e.g. the incredibly "positive" attitude for the first few days of the last death cycle of the 2nd arc despite how god awful he really felt, which led to the whole head-in-lap thing?
>>
>>146638961
But has he succeeded with that? He really didn't. That shows you how really lazy and unprepared Subaru really is.
>>
>>146639220
Succeed with what? There was nothing he could do to succeed until he met the white whale. The only time he is ever actually lazy is when he tries to run away with Rem.
>>
>>146637305
About that. Why the fuck dd Rem kill him that time he got his chest blown out? Poor guy was walking around vomiting his heart out, and Rem decides, 'oh, he's a threat! kill him now!'
Just, why?
>>
>>146639176
Subaru felt alot better after from letting out that view he was so scared of, refer to image of this post>>146634048.
The lap pillow made him feel much better and encouragement from Emilia was like acknowledgement and giving purpose to Subaru to feel like he mattered. Also, the anime translated episode 8 strangely. He acted try-hard first, then learned about magic feeling a lot better. The anime flip-flopped events, thus looked weird.
>>
File: i033.jpg (217KB, 869x1269px) Image search: [Google]
i033.jpg
217KB, 869x1269px
>>146639424
He was being near her sister. She didn't like that. Plus he didn't give her enough hesitation to not entirely be suspicious of him until he poured his emotions out in front of Emilia. The true context was that Rem was watching.
>>
>>146632989
This thread is proof of Subaru's exceptional character design. Hes selfish, hes emotional, he soilders on because he has no choice, hes extaly what you would expect from someone in his situation.

Hes a pathetic underdog stuck in a world where he has very little control, hes us.
>>
>>146637691
no he isn't one point he is willing to kill himself to save rem, in another he's running like a bitch while crying from the white whale after it kills rem.
>>
>>146639582
So, he kept being killed until the lap pillow timeline? Because he wasn't trusted/liked?

Counterpoint: The twins held his hands when he was dying of the curse one of the timelines. They liked him.
>>
>>146639411
Being unprepared to be able to plan out your actions in a more organized manner is another way of being lazy. Not giving true effort within the quality of how you decide to do it is lazy. Subaru is truly lazy. The negotiations could have gone on a more positive note if Subaru stayed calm and collected and bothered to think ahead, but he did not.
>>
>>146639705
What, you expect him to be brave in all situations? Dying hurts, buddy, so does the process of getting killed.
>>
>>146639424
His witch stink gets worse when he's close to death (you see it come up again when he's dying in episode 18 and it's strong enough to start drawing the white whale all the way to the forest) and he was up shambling through the mansion in the dead of night, with Rem already having zero trust for him that loop. Rem's compulsive and emotional in her own right too so she's prone to doing hasty things like that.
>>
>>146639176
see
>>146639024

Narcissism is complicated. I can definitively explain why Subaru acts the way he does in specific scenes, but breaking down narcissism in general is fairly complicated.

Best way to put it is, Subaru wants to both to be appreciated and deserve appreciation. Well, sometimes, achieving something worthy of appreciation requires short term or even permanent sacrifice of actually being appreciated (See the dilemma at the end of The Dark Knight).

He acts really weird sometimes out of the desire to achieve both.
>>
>>146639707
He showed emotions that made her hesitate and his actions with the kids made her trust him more. When remembering the hand-holding they were still suspicious of him. Rem's death became a catalyst for Ram's fury. Remember, they need a little more appeal than just the emotions.
>>
>>146639824
Makes sense, you sure about the 'when he's close to death the stench gets stronger' thing?
>>
>>146639729
He didnt understand they were negotiations he was simply seeking help, he didnt expect them all to demand things of him he assumed they would help simply on morals.
>>
>>146639921
Yeah, pretty sure. Though if you wanted word of god proof on it like an ask.fm answer or something I couldn't give it off-hand.
>>
>>146639755
>What, you expect him to be brave in all situations?
yes when he already proved he is willing to jump over a cliff into spikes.
>>
Shit anime for shit people
>>
>>146640112
Do you remember how fucking hard it was for him. how long it took him to psyche himself up enough to do it? That entire episode I was telling my screen to just go kill itself.
>>
>>146640117
Gr8 opinion faggot
>>
>>146640117
is it hard being a outcast even in such a small extrovert group like /a/
>>
>>146638383

I guess it makes sense why some enjoy Re:Zero, considering a fair amount of viewers are either teenagers or in their early 20's.
>>
>>146640112
See here>>146633480
And recently, people have not giving him good looks and started to slowly realize his situation and not have the full resolve to die. You noticed his mood.
>>
>>146640197
>>146639755
You guys are hugely misunderstanding the dilemma Subaru was facing in that scene. He wasn't afraid of killing himself. He was debating whether he should just run off and avoid responsibility, or trying again but having to put force effort.

This is why he put on a huge show during that scene. He craves the attention. It's also why he exaggerated how overworked he was in front of Emilia and Rem. He thought "I jumped off a canyon, fixed everything, and it was the right thing to do, I deserve recognition for this."
>>
>>146640236
Don't worry bro, you're not alone. I adamantly argue for why Re:Zero is good almost every day. People who can't understand Subaru's character are filthy plebeians, incapable of the potential to excel in life.
>>
>>146639076
What the fuck are you talking about you ESL fagboi?
>>
>Another thread where anti-Subarufags are thoroughly BTFO

When will they learn?
>>
>>146640236
>small extrovert group
You must be underaged if you actually think that.
>>
>>146640960
Not really. It's just isekai fags justifying a shitty show by explaining a one-dimensional trait of a MC that persists for far too long.
>>
Why was this thread bumped? Dammit, it was gonna die.
>>
>>146642077
> One-dimensional trait
Insolence.
>>
>>146642077
The desire for wanting to be acknowledged and have self-worth from others and leading to a character's flaws is not one-dimensional.
>>
>>146642297
That doesn't mean much when it's executed like shit. There are far too many questionable moments when following the stort, not even including pacing issues, that make is seem obviously amatuerish.
>>
>>146642744
That is your own perception. You've seen what kind of ruin Subaru had to face because of his flaws that stemmed from his desire. Be specific, I'm not gonna argue against someone who won't bother to give examples, point out specifics and only say what they want about it without support. That is a pseudo-intellectual argument that has no true value in an argument. What you claimed is wrong, and now you decided to call it badly executed to backtrack your own claim. Sorry, but your argument was flawed the moment you could not refute my point that it is not one-dimensional.
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.