[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do people in anime always have involved conversations about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: Food Wars 7_zpsedgf3jld.png (383KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Food Wars 7_zpsedgf3jld.png
383KB, 800x450px
why do people in anime always have involved conversations about how good food is? I get that it's supposed to be a token of affection but really it's just food wtf. Pls explain.
>>
>>146584346
For the same reason hentai sex is about people describing what's happening and never shut the fuck up.
>>
>>146584346
Yeah I don't get why elevens love food so much, maybe my dopamine balance is skewed by drugs and lots of sugar but I've never felt particularly better from eating food and I certainly never thought to share my feelings with nearby people.
>>
And sure if the anime is literally called "food wars" it's understandable, but in many anime it will be a plot point like the MC is depressed but suddenly they eat their favorite food and turn their whole life around.
>>
>>146584346
it is not only eleven's thing. Try to talk to some real people sometimes. Food is like only thing they discuss alongside with cars and sports.That is why I hate normalfags. They only care about stupid things like this
>>
Japanese have a different cultural emphasis on meals. Rather than slamming down burgers they make a big event out of eating smaller portions.
>>
>>146584346
>it's just food wtf
Typical American, shoving whatever at hand's reach down his throat without appreciating.
>>
>>146584346
It's just an exaggeration of how the Japanese have a very engaged, active listener culture of conversation. Here, it's customary to shut the fuck up when someone is speaking, there, it's seen as rude if you don't interject with some exclamation now and then.
>>
>>146585762
>source: My ass
>>
Do you not cook?

Do people not sit down and eat your food and say 'this is really good food'?
>>
>>146584346
t. Ketchup-on-your-well-done-Steak Amerilard.
>>
>>146584346
Stop eating at wawa and you would know.
>>
no smell-o-vision
>>
File: 1443910717566.png (67KB, 1120x977px) Image search: [Google]
1443910717566.png
67KB, 1120x977px
>>146585522
>Food is like only thing they discuss alongside with cars and sports.That is why I hate normalfags. They only care about stupid things like this
>>
>>146584346
People talk about food all the goddamn time.

How the fuck is it that out off all the unlikely shit that happens in animu, THIS is the thing you complain about when it's common as all fuck in real life?
>>
>>146586828
Yes I'm courteous and give compliments, deserved or not. My question is, what is the difference between good food and really good food? To me it's miniscule, in anime it is life-changing event. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm too lazy to provide the examples but you know it's a common trope in anime.
>>
File: mei 00097.png (260KB, 325x367px) Image search: [Google]
mei 00097.png
260KB, 325x367px
>>146584346
>it's just food

There are so many things wrong with this statement I can't even think straight right now.
>>
>>146587166
>>146587166
>what is the difference between good food and really good food? To me it's miniscule
Maybe you'll find out when you eat good food.
>>
>>146585522
Yes because talking about chinese cartoons all day make you a way better person than them.
I really wish retarded people would stop posting.
>>
>>146587274
You're just assuming I'm an Amerifat. I'm not.
>>
>>146587238

Go be fat somewhere else.
>>
>>146585862
It's mostly true though. I wouldn't say it's strictly rude to not say anything but it's definitely the norm to talk about the food you're eating. In anime you see tons of characters go UMAAII!! or OISHII~ when they start tasting food. In Japan, probably the majority of people say shit like that when eating.

source: live in the motherland
>>
>>146585862
Watch some livestreams of 2 people program. While one person is speaking the other person says every few seconds combination of hai, hai, naruhodo, so desu ne, sugoi. No, it's no exaggeration.
>>
Drugs are extremely illegal in Japan and most of EA, so people obsess over sex and food instead.
>>
>>146587879
Yes I agree with this explanation. Sure I've eaten good food but it doesn't compare with actual drugs.
>>
Food is a big part of life, so people like to talk about it.

Same goes for disease, have you ever been around any old people? Their diseases is literally all they talk about.
>>
>>146584346
Delicious food is delicious
>>
>>146584499
And what is that reason?
>>
File: 1468898726403.jpg (64KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1468898726403.jpg
64KB, 1200x675px
>>146584346
You must be from a third world country. In advanced nations such as Japan, there is actually food. It's good. People even eat it for fun, not just to avoid starving.
>>
File: 13124184649.jpg (70KB, 1121x764px) Image search: [Google]
13124184649.jpg
70KB, 1121x764px
>>146584346
you haven't seen nothing yet
>>
>>146587501
People of all sizes enjoy food, it's a staple aspect of living. Not everyone enjoys water and celery while watching anime.
>>
>>146584346
Because some people like to taste and savor their food, truly appreciating it in the process instead of just stuffing as much food as possible into their fat fucking faces. I'm part of the latter group, but my point still stands.
>>
Oh btw mystery solved:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

A supertaster is a person who experiences the sense of taste with far greater intensity than average. Women are more likely to be supertasters, as are those from Asia, South America and Africa.
>>
>>146591002
Most estimates suggest 25% of the population are nontasters, 50% are medium tasters, and 25% are supertasters.
>>
>>146587802
Indeed no.

Most Japanese courses include some sort of "how to listen without looking like a zombie" lesson.
>>
>wtf
Kill yourself.
>>
>>146585862
Interjections that show that the person is listening are part of the culture. Like the first anon said, at least in the US, eye contact and maybe the occasional head nod are used to indicate the listener is still tuned in. You can also use interjections, but in this culture after a while those interjections seem more like the listener is only feigning listening (at least to most people who are socially aware). In Japan those head nods and interjections are much more common and frequent. You can see it all the time in interviews, daytime TV programs, nico nico videos, etc.
>>
>>146584346
You need to kill yourself OP for not taking the time to truly appreciate the finesse in culinary matters. The fact that you don't realize how much of the human experience revolves around food makes you such putrid filth.
>>146584692
I almost pity your inability to appreciate good food by how sugar and drugs have ruined your olfactory and tongue.
>>146587501
You hypocrite. Go be fat is what Americans end up doing as they've lost appreciation for what good food ought to be about.
>>
>>146591787
Why almost? Give me your pity you cheapskate. Anyway check the supertaster thing, it's possible the drugs weren't the problem but genetics.
>>
>>146591002
Yeah, no.

Tongue-taste is a tiny portion of the sensation of tasting*; almost all of it is in the nose. "Supertasters" have really sensitive tongues, which translates to them being massively picky eaters, who won't try stuff like broccoli, because they think it tastes icky.

Tongue-taste is a blunt instrument, which reports essentially five channels:

GOOD
Sweet: does this food have sugar
Umai: does this food have protein
MAYBE
Sour: in small amounts, GOOD this is likely to have C-vitamins; in large amounts, BAD what the fuck are you doing this isn't food
Salt: is this refreshing water or not? Food with no salt tastes weird; liquid with too much salt tastes weird.
BAD:
Bitter: is this even food?

LITERALLY ALL THE REST OF YOUR SENSE OF TASTE COMES FROM YOUR NOSE. All of it.

An important stage in becoming a mature grown-up is learning to ignore your tongue when it says "THIS IS BITTER", as almost all of our diet is in some way bitter, and the tongue is essentially wrong in saying it's inedible.

Supertasting is a positive impediment to enjoying foods, as it makes a bunch of stuff that isn't bitter taste bitter, it drowns out subtle nose-tastes with THIS IS BITTER AND SALTY, and it makes it much harder to develop a grown-up palette and eat grown-up foods.

* be me, be chef, have cold, try to do fucking job, completely impossible beyond "this mush has the right amount of salt in it".
>>
>>146584346
>americans
>>
>>146592038
Yep, I agree with everything you said and I stand corrected, but I have a question.

Is nontasting a negative impediment or a negative benefit? It's the opposite of supertasting but is it superior to medium tasting or also an impediment?
>>
>>146592038
>Umai
You meant umami?
>>
File: 1465544174637.jpg (2MB, 2006x2833px) Image search: [Google]
1465544174637.jpg
2MB, 2006x2833px
>>146584346
And how the fuck does she look like this while eating candy and Nip Cheetos all day?
>>
>>146592464

Well, it's also umai.
>>
>>146592584
Yeah but no one calls it that. Go to any big low-sodium products research and they literally have an 'umami increase' department
>>
>>146592350
Not having it, I couldn't tell you first-hand, but every description of nontasting (and it seems to be something no-one bothers to write about) makes it sound like it's exactly like tasting, except without being able to taste that stuff tastes bad.

From what I've read, nontasters (barring people with neurological damage) still taste salt, sweet, umai, etc., they just find far fewer things bitter, and they maybe don't taste salt as strongly.

If that's the case, I'd say there's basically no drawback to nontasting.
>>
File: 4L_0CpPbEFM.jpg (8KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
4L_0CpPbEFM.jpg
8KB, 229x173px
>>146592464
Go bug the DJT.

美味い [umai] is the adjectival form, which is the correct form to use in that context; 美味み [umami] is it nouned, in a poncey form that the IME doesn't even recognise and let you type (the regular form is 美味さ [umasa]).
>>
>>146592576
She exercises a lot every night.
>>
People are stupid. Having a meal is such a chore, I wish I didn't need to eat. I won't even talk about preparing it. Staring at the ceiling all day long is more entertaining than cooking.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.