[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you can only watch/read an LN or its adaption and not both,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1441109828329.jpg (34KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
1441109828329.jpg
34KB, 736x414px
If you can only watch/read an LN or its adaption and not both, which do you choose?
>>
Definitely watch the adaptation.
>>
I'd rather watch a meh adaptation than read a shit translation. The source material probably isn't gold in the first place anyway
>>
VN:
Always VN.
LN:
Adaptation.
Manga:
Adaptation like 75% of the time.
>>
>>146510801
>>146511055
>>146511106
How do you stand the pain of waiting for the Season 2 or 3 or the like? Or the unknown of not even knowing whether there will be a Season 2?
>>
>>146511410
VN:
I get fucked.
LN:
Ehh, /a/ doesn't talk about LNs enough to get spoiled.
Manga:
I read through Manga to avoid getting spoiled by /a/. I did that with Nisekoi.
>>
>>146511106
I am with this guy
VN adaptions isn't.... great.
LN is what it is, because its for the interested alone, but some adaption are solid(for mang0)
>>
>For manga
manga (even if the anime is god-tier the source material is probably better)

>For VN
anime (I don't play VNs)

>for LNs
depends on which one is good (if neither then LN, I'm not wasting 30 minutes on that shit).
>>
I read an actual good novel like somebody that actually understands the nuances involved in language. LNs are generally poorly written (or translated, idk).
>>
>>146512719
Problem is, you can't tell if it's good until you watch/read it
>>
>>146512783
Yeah but they're the only series where you can get premises like a person dying and starting their lives over again from new born with all their memories.

too bad it can't execute that premise properly.
>>
Manga > adaption > LNs/VNs

Manga is the least time consuming and usually a safe bet as the best version. Anime is a medium I enjoy and am interested in, but it's more of a time investment. LNs and VNs are mediums I have zero interest in and find extremely tedious. LNs for the shitty translations and mediocre writing (I may as well read a good book instead), and VNs for being so fucking long and bloated. They don't excel in either writing or visuals, they're so middling in both areas that I'd rather just not bother.
>>
>>146513319
Doesn't this mean that basically for manga and anime the only things really saving them are the visuals? I mean if you don't think LNs or VNs have good writing, I doubt you would think any random manga would either.
>>
>>146514108
most random manga beats your average LN in terms of writing.
>>
>>146514154
I've never read an LN but that frightens me given what I know about the writing of the average manga, at least that I've read.
>>
>>146514237
battle shounen are bloated affairs but rarely do they make their premises just an excuse to make their MC's unstoppable OPMCs quite like LNs.

besides tons of manga are great in both story and visuals
>>
>>146514344
I'm thinking more like the line to line writing rather than the overall plotting.
>>
>>146514463
that too
>>
>>146514108
Yes, of course. The issue with the writing isn't just the actual storytelling though, it's also the prose. If all I'm getting is words on a page, I'll go with a good book that doesn't need to compensate with art, animation, qts, etc.
>>
>>146514108
Well not the bloated battle shounen on unlikable shoujo drama

but are you saying Spirit Circle and Sanctuary's writing is bad? (I guess the political parts of the latter is).
>>
>>146515059
Haven't read those. I'm thinking of something like Leviathan or even something like Death Note where a character has to give a long, unnatural and drawn out explanation of something for the audience's benefit.
>>
>>146515541
Jump manga to represent manga is like using YA novels to represent literature

They're the most popular and I will argue that some are actually good but as representatives of the medium is kinda questionable.
>>
>>146515672
I doubt Leviathan is jump given it's horror and has a bunch of 18+ themes
>>
>>146515059
>Spirit Circle

>Fuuta Okeya is a normal 14-year-old boy, except for the fact that he has the ability to see ghosts. A cute girl transfers into his class one day,

It'd be nice if I could still read something with a set up like that without going Full Jaded.
>>
>>146516024
read it and maybe it will diminish your Jade
>>
>>146515862
are you talking of this one?

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=350

seems to still be from a shounen mag though
>>
>>146511106
Exactly this. Light Novel translations usually aren't great and when all you have is prose then it's much more noticeable, while the only anime that surpassed the VN was Shuffle and even then it was still pretty shit.
>>
File: Leviathan_v02c10p181.jpg (121KB, 770x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan_v02c10p181.jpg
121KB, 770x1100px
>>146516191
Yes. But it frightens me that somehow this is still shounen when it seems racier than a lot of seinen I've seen
>>
Manga, Visual Novel, and Light Novels any day.

Only the biggest, fattest ugliest idiots would pick an adaptation.
>>
>>146516461
One of the most famous shounen series is about a guy walking about in a nuclear apocalypse blowing people up from the inside with kung-fu magic all while showing all the gore and entrails that ensue.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again, and I'll say it a thousand more times in the future. Shounen has nothing to do with "what is appropriate for kids" (it's more about "what kids want to watch" which is usually blood and gore).
>>
>Manga
Manga

>VN
anime (i can't find the reason to play VN that are plot centric. i only played ilith soft games so far)

>LN
LN
>>
Depends on the series.

For Hack x Hack i'd choose neither.
>>
>>146512719
actually never mind I'm just going with the LN all the way

even when there's a good LN adaption it will never have a S2 (except for Spicy Wolf)
>>
>>146516595
So then why do some shounen mangas censor themselves? Why is Berserk seinen when it's the king of blood and gore?
>>
True story: You should only read seinen manga if you want good plots. Only adults are discerning enough that they want to read high quality literary works.
>>
File: Problem.jpg (230KB, 572x918px) Image search: [Google]
Problem.jpg
230KB, 572x918px
>>146516763
It's the anime that censor most manga just throw the blood and gore out there (dunno why the anime censors, some says it is law others say it's budget).

Berserk has more than just blood and gore it's as much of a love letter to medieval history as GoT is to Renaissance England
>>
>>146510530

I choose the anime.

If I want to read, there are hundreds of thousands of better books than any LN.
>>
File: 042BAiJRRan.jpg (282KB, 690x697px) Image search: [Google]
042BAiJRRan.jpg
282KB, 690x697px
Read VN
Watch LN adaptation
Read manga 90% of the time with the exceptions being shows with godly soundtracks
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.