[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do shonen protagonists tend to be loud, obnoxious, annoying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: sdhfgkh[1].png (1MB, 1093x611px) Image search: [Google]
sdhfgkh[1].png
1MB, 1093x611px
Why do shonen protagonists tend to be loud, obnoxious, annoying and downright impossible to root for?

pic unrelated
>>
>>146432344
Because shounen is for kids
>>
its nice to watch a show where the protag is genuinely a pretty cool guy
>>
File: Madman ch 76.png (452KB, 856x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Madman ch 76.png
452KB, 856x1250px
You can always root for the Madman
>>
>>146432344
I like Souma, he's a cool dude. But he's not the type of MC I can "root" for.

Someone like >>146432427 is someone I can root for.
>>
I'd rather a loud MC than a pussy
Though calm collected MCs are best
>>
>>146432383
anime itself is for kids
>>
>>146432427
This is garbage.
>>
>>146432464
With pussy protagonists, it honestly depends on the setting and their background. I mean someone like Rock is a good protagonist and you can understand why he is so horrified by the shit he sees and why he doesn't hold a gun. Same with someone like Naegi and even Shinji.

With loud protagonists, if they are characters like Naruto, I'd take a pussy protagonist over them any day. Those guys just get on my fucking nerves and make me wish for their demise.

But amen that calm and collected MCs are good. Especially if they are smart. Not in a 'I know everything that you are going to do before even you do'. More on the lines they can work with what their given and find a way to make it work.
>>
>>146432647
>Not in a 'I know everything that you are going to do before even you do'. More on the lines they can work with what their given and find a way to make it work.
The only one I can think of that is like this is Edward.
>>
>>146432625
You mean you are garbage?
>>
>>146432344
I can't remember when was the last time I rooted for Souma eveni f I find him a decent MC and all.
>>
>>146432709
I'd say that Senien protagonists usually fit this idea far more. Probably why I prefer that genre far more than Shonen. Because unfortunately, in Shonen, the smart guys tend to be the deturagonist.
>>
>>146432847
He's too strong, even if he does lose here and there. The midcarders are far more interesting to watch as they squeeze out everything they have to win.
>>
>>146432344
It's hard to root for Souma though since he's willingly suicidal in a battle series. It's not interesting to beat the odds if plot armor dictates you either must win or the consequences are muted.
>>
>>146432927
Well, I guess it's easy to root for him because he acts smug to the people who underestimate him or are dicks, but is overall a nice guy. You're probably right that he's somewhat overpowered in his own universe.
>>
What's the best current ongoing Shonen manga?
>>
>>146433009
It's between Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia honestly. Both are pretty great and have steady releases.
>>
>>146433009
Keijo.
>>
>>146432344
Self inserts for kids.
>>
>>146433009
technically HxH is still ongoing
>>
>>146433009
Haikyuu
>>
>>146433009
That really just depends on what you're into.
>>
>>146432869
Neither seinen nor shounen are genres.
>>
>>146433009
HxH
>>
>>146432869
Which seinen protagonists? Yumeji? Aoba? Seigi?
>>
>>146432344
Most of them are a pain to be around. They're either extremely closed minded when it comes to their ideals or hopelessly naive and hop into situations without fully understanding the risks.

>pic unrelated
Damn straight. Even if you can't find yourself rooting for Soma, at least he seems like a cool guy to talk to.
>>
File: main characters.jpg (252KB, 1020x960px) Image search: [Google]
main characters.jpg
252KB, 1020x960px
>>146432344
Because they're the main characters and have to have it all, win at the end of the day
>>
>>146432344
Black Clover adaptations soon
>>
>>146432344
I must be the only one who can't stand Souma. He is supposed to be the underdog in a school for elites, but there is nothing underdog about him being the son of food Jesus and having learned almost everything about cooking from him.

And almost every match he has comes with the expulsion threat before the match even starts. With such stakes it's guaranteed he will win, just like how he will now win against curry.
>>
>>146433761
I only watched the anime and i stopped cause its gotten so stale just with season 2. Cant imagine how bad the manga gets.
>>
>>146432344
I love souma man. The way he reacts to people trying to grt a rise out of him is absolutely perfect, and he himself never lords himself over anyone else and sees everyone as equal. I cant really fault him ar all, but that may be because I have zero issue with seeing an MC pretty much win all the time. Im sick of muh i was shit but now im good arcs anyway.
>>
>an mc needs to be an actual underdog to want to root for them
How boring you fags are. You root for MCs like souma because it's satisfying seeing the character with the best most proper morals wreck inferiors.
>>
>>146433761
What's worse is that Megumi, the closest character to a deuteragonist who actually loses, is somehow even less interesting. She's ends up being even more predictable that Soma is, at least it's fun to watch what Soma comes up with to win.
>>
>>146433761
I was disappointed at the cop-out when he lost the match with Tsukasa, it would've been a good chance for him to learn and he hasn't lost a match with serious consequences so far.
>>
>>146432344
Why is Soma so arrogant? I rooted for him at first but now I can't stand him.
>>
>>146432400
What about shows where the protag is a cool asshole?
Kaze no Stigma comes to mind, maybe Yuusha aestethica
>>
>>146433940
I think S2 will reach the stagiare arc, probably the last good one. After that it just goes downhill.

After stagiare was some kind of festival where Souma was trying to have a "who can sell more food" contest with some Elite Ten dwarf and again with the expulsion threat. Then arrived Erina's daddy, literally food Hitler who wants to shut down every restaurant in Japan he doesn't like and 6 of the 10 Elite students follow him, making him the new director and giving him total control. Then a match against another Elite Ten to save their Polar dorm with the expulsion threat again. Some bunch of jobbers arrive who thought they were hot shit but lost against Maddog, Megumi and Meat. Souma vs the number one of the school with another threat but Souma didn't have to take the consequence because "lol i wasn't serious with this, k bye".

After that i stopped reading and just went looked at the pictures of every new chapter. I think they do some kind of trip where every teacher tries to sabotage and expel them, but they fail all the time. And now curry, who became a new Elite Ten member, will fight him.
>>
I'm sad because Shokugeki actually had potential to be pretty great especially after the good tournament arc and the Stagiare arc but it's kind of gone to shit
>>
>>146434242
He's literally the exact opposite of arrogant you sperg
>>
>>146434310
Cool asshole MCs are my absolute favourite. Wish we had more of them.
>>
>>146434326
>literally food Hitler
So he did nothing wrong?
>>
why can't shonen protagonists be loud, obnoxious, annoying and downright impossible to root for? It's not like it's a bad thing to have these traits. Go fuk yourself OP. Go watch your shit ass ecchi mc instead
>>
>>146434326
>actually giving a fuck about the vehicles which serve only to prop up the shokugekis
You're reading it wrong
>>
>>146434326
>I think they do some kind of trip where every teacher tries to sabotage and expel them
Not quite, the trip is to see who graduates onto 2nd year, if you fail you stay behind (maybe get expelled too, can't remember).
>>
>>146434384
>So he did nothing wrong?
He was not hitler..he was kinda more like Stalin..comunist..want everione to be the best and cook at the exact same level wich isnt such a bad idea but for that he should create his own school instead of penetrating one that already had a working process that many loved..now he has to deal with some bithes from an outside dormitory...
>>
>>146434384
Yes.

>>146434406
I'm not reading it anymore. I'm now just looking at the pictures in hope for some sexy foodgasm or something cool to look at like that train.

>>146434436
Good to know. I hope some of his friends fail. Wasn't there like only a 1% chance to reach the 3rd year for all 1000 1st years? Souma and all his friends are far more than just 10 people.
>>
>>146432383
This.
>>
>>146434560
I'm sure none of his friends are going to fail, they've all gone through the Erina training.
The percentage thing will either be ignored or shrugged off as
>wow, they're a lot better than last years bunch aren't they? It's polar star's recovery!
>>
>>146434560
Yeah, but under FoodHitler's new management, the goal is a 100% rate as long as you can follow Azami's teachings.
>>
>>146434560
Part of the problem is Soma's friends are all established as in the top ~5% of their year. Even the cannon fodder is leagues above everyone else.

Soma himself is a based protagonist though, even if he's going to win pretty much all the time it's still really entertaining to see how he does it. He's nice without being a weirdo saint, strong as fuck for a good reason reason (challenging one of the strongest chefs on the planet repeatedly is going to give you some pretty good experience) and it actually makes sense why he's popular in the series.
>>
>>146434737
I think Soma himself might fail by the end of this and it'll be Erina who does it, just like she always wanted.

She's their pillar of strength right now and that "let's become first years together" seemed like it's setting up for a situation where only one would be able to advance.

I dunno if I'd actually like that though, even if it'd be a surprising twist there's no way it wouldn't destroy Soma for a bit and make the manga real depressing.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.