[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the definition of a mary sue.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

This is the definition of a mary sue.
>>
File: 12341243423.jpg (94KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
12341243423.jpg
94KB, 468x468px
wrong picture
>>
>>146312568
>Part 4 jotaro not the biggest jobber
>>
File: pucci.png (370KB, 349x547px) Image search: [Google]
pucci.png
370KB, 349x547px
>>146312568
Gay Priest disagrees
>>
>>146312568
The difference between him and say, Jesus Yamato is that he actually let other characters stay protagonists in their respective stories.
>>
I never liked him, at least not as much as the others. He was such a disappointment after Joseph was so fun and clever.

I don't get why he is so popular.
>>
>>146316846
Because ORAORAORA is so fun to hear and watch. However, I agree 100% Joseph is better.
>>
>>146312568
Yeah, that's why around here he's pretty regularly ranked as one of the worst JoJos, second to only Jonathan and (if you're a tasteless pleb) Giorno. The nips love him, though.

>>146317027
This, ORAORAORAORA is fun as fuck. Star Platinum > Jotaro.
>>
But Polnareff is the true protagonist of Part 3.
>>
>>146313816
He posted Part 3 Jotaro.
>>
>>146312568
Don't worry, he jobs the fuck out later on.
>>
>>146313816
Come on, part 6 Jotaro gets jobbed out even harder. From the very beginning its obvious he's gonna get fed to Pucci.
>>
>>146317088
Giorno was a plot device not a character. Every other member of the group had a more memorable personality, even Fugo.
>>
>>146316846
>I don't get why he is so popular.
Because of cultural differences on how people perceive what is cool. For Westerners funny and brash characters like Joseph are cool, whereas in Japan they prefer calm and stoic characters like Jotaro.
>>
>>146318840
It's not a coolness factor, I just find Joseph much more likable. He's more human, it's stupid to just go "Hmph" to every fucking thing. Indifference is not a personality. My buddy tried to explain it away by saying Jotaro wasn't a faggot Sasuke archetype but instead he was trying way too hard to be cool and that's why some of his lines seemed bizarre, and that he was actually just an awkward weirdo. That worked for a while but most of it is played too straight to believe that for long.

Then again what do I know? I'm waiting to get back into reading part 3. I think I'm at the part where Polnareff gets turned into a child or something.
I stopped reading because Jotaro is boring
>>
>>146318985
>It's not a coolness factor, I just find Joseph much more likable.
That's what I'm talking about. It's all cultural.
Japanese look at traits such as calmness, aloofness, stoicism, cold-headedness as things that make a character likeable.

Considering this is from a culture in which keeping your shit to yourself is a virtue, and whilst you're not expected to act emotionless, you are expected to be on control of your reactions most of the time.

On the other hand, in Western countries (to varying degrees, of course) you're expected to be very expressive (even Bongs and Germans), so characters that are very aloof and silent can come off as either jerks and/or boring.
>>
>>146318985
>Indifference is not a personality.

Actually, it is. IIRC, some consider it a mental disorder, but it does exist.
>>
>>146312568
>Jotaro is bad
I hate this meme.

Gappy>Jotaro>Johnny>Giorno>Jonathan>Jolyne>Josuke
>>
>>146319202
There's also the fact Jotaro isn't indifferent toward things at all.

He is aloof and feigns indifference, but if you've followed SC from start to finish you know Jotaro does care a lot about those around him - and would also go as far as to help those he doesn't know.

He simply doesn't like showing his emotions openly, and yet he does that from time to time.
>>
>>146312568
no that's a gary stu
this is a mary sue
>>
>>146318985
Araki has stated that someone like Joseph would've been more fitting for Shonen Jump, but decided to go for a more "heroic" protagonist instead, modeling Jotaro after Clint Eastwood, a seemingly collected man that doesn't ask for attention or fame, just dispensing justice where it's needed, not unlike Kenshiro. That's part of the reason why he's sort of detached to the others. A similar example is Mista, who is canonically an Eastwood maniac.
>>
>>146318840

Plus it was the 80s and the "silent badass that beats you down and has a one-liner" were all the rage
>>
>>146319152
I can buy the fact that on Japan's side it's just another case of them having a garbage culture. The problem with your argument is that so many western fans say he's their favorite. The only reason I can imagine for this is a ripple effect from Japan's fans:
Shit culture -> Jotaro fans -> Jotaro is extremely well represented on game covers and other related merch -> More westerners are exposed to him -> More western Jotaro fans

These are people with bad taste. He has a cool ass costume though.

>>146319202
>>146319316
What I mean is that most of the time it makes for a boring and annoying character. Admittedly Jotaro is one of the better characters in this archetype I can think of, and I don't actually hate him so much as I'm disappointed with him.
Like if we compare Joseph's love for Granny Erina with Jotaro and his mom it's no contest. Joseph is a trickster and a cheat, he also has a temper but he acts extremely kind to his grandma and won't let anyone upset her. Jotaro travels around the world for his mom and all that, he loves her, but he still calls her a bitch constantly and does things he knows upsets her. He also very rarely shows that kinder side.

Jotaro comes off more as a fucking asshole who sometimes pretends to be secretly nice rather than vice versa.
>>
>>146319684
no you're wrong. The reason myself and others like Jotaro is because he breaks the mold of the regular shounen characters. You watch so much shounen that all the main character start to just blend in together: nice guys who are stupid and over emotional, and always fuck up/act stupid but they win anyway by some deus ex

Jotaro on the other hand is the cool calculating type... in every other shounen he would be the 'cooler then the main character' type yet he's the star of this show.
>>
>>146319684
Joseph isn't Jotaro. Grandma Erina's a strict, strong-willed woman as a result of her husband's death, while Holy is a cheery girl just like her mom. Jotaro's character is centered around preferring solitude and living life alone, but also having a strong sense of justice and fairness. At the very beginning he insists that he'd cause too much trouble if he went out of jail, and wishes to stay. It's just a matter of him not being exactly like Joseph.
>>
>>146312568
I don't know about that.
>>
>>146318840
Explain Batman then.

It has nothing to do with cultural differences, just that Jotaro is a boring piece of shit.
>>
File: tumblr_mk1nwwTLTN1s2jvk8o7_1280.png (288KB, 632x345px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mk1nwwTLTN1s2jvk8o7_1280.png
288KB, 632x345px
>>146317088
>>
>>146322450
I like Jotaro, and believe Batman is a boring piece of shit, since he's written to please to whims of every fanboy of his, thus why his stories involve PIS more often than not.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.