[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Engrish a thing? Do japs just never listen to natives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1396054571444.gif (944KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1396054571444.gif
944KB, 500x281px
Why is Engrish a thing? Do japs just never listen to natives speak the words they need? I mean, even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word, so why isn't this the case in Japan?
>>
>>146285092

You're giving burgerclaps far too much credit.
>>
>>146285092
Its called having an accent, nothing to do with being Japanese. English education sucks and there really isnt a need for speaking eng in Japan cause its so isolated and thats why most either dont speak it or only do it really bad.
>>
>>146285279
That aside, why fans who speak english more than perfectly fuck around by saying "za wardo" instead of "the world"?
>>
>>146285092
So how syka is pronounced?
>>
>>146285279
But they can't even google a few words to check how they're pronounced? Where is their sense of professionalism?
>>
>>146285360
I dont know if that was bait, but its quite obviously just a joke. Making fun of the way its pronounced in japan.
>>
>>146285360
the sound needed to say 'th' in 'the' is not found in the Japanese language. Conversely, it's rather easy for us English natives to pronounce Japanese words since our language is not a sound-poor language.
>>
File: 1436812787266.jpg (103KB, 907x718px) Image search: [Google]
1436812787266.jpg
103KB, 907x718px
>>146285092
>even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word
>>
>>146285092
>I mean, even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word
>Implying you ever pronounced a foreign word correctly
>>
>>146285092
>I mean, even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word
voila!
>>
>>146285501
Even if you see the right pronunciation, its hard to get that accent out of you ,if you didnt speak that language before. Speaking it in school doesnt count, most of these guys are years out of school. Also Its not like they have nothing else to do, but i also think they just dont care. Anime is for an niche Japanese audience, they dont think any westerners will see it and if it will get dubbed. Just speaking english is already seen as something amazing, standards are low i assume.
>>
>>146285501
Nips just don't care enough about the language.
English is cool when used occasionally, like catchphrases, but it's not something that is terribly useful to them so they just mostly ignore it because realistically they will use or need it very rarely, if ever.
>>
The japanese language doesnt have phonetics analogous to sounds such "th," as in the, "c," as in the letter, and "R," such as "roll."

For example, roll would translate to roru, but only an english speaker can distinguish the difference between the R and L pronunciation, whereas a japanese cannot.

Obviously it can be learned, but japan is quite closed and the opportunity for it rare.
>>
>>146285711
Why does not having a sound in their language mean they're incapable of pronouncing a sound? All they have to do is hear it pronounced correctly, right?
>>
>>146285980
Adults are bad at distinguishing sounds that are not found in the mother tounge.
>>
>>146285980
Because your mouth literally wouldn't know how to make that sound.
>>
>>146285980
I would like you to pronounce some Germans words without any accent. I dont think you would do any better.

Eichhörnchen - squirrel; try that one you will probably struggle, fail, give up and just say it the english way.
>>
>it's a 'why are the nips so bad at x thing that's relatively common everywhere but I have no idea how things work because I only watch Chinese cartoons' thread
>>
>>146285980
You wouldn't be able to immediately get right clicks or guttural sounds that are pronunciation elements in certain languages. It's the same.
You can learn, but japanese just do not care and they have limited exposure to the language anyway.
Pronunciation is secondary to intelligibility anyway. Of course clarity helps but one doesn't have to master received pronunciation to convey perfectly understandable speech.
>>
>>146285279
It's not about having an accent, they're just reading it as it's written in katakana, which completely bastardizes the language.
>>
>>146285092
>Do japs just never listen to natives speak the words they need?
English is a 'Germanic' language, and it is substantially different from any Asian language, all the rules and shit are different, someone who grew up learning one of those languages is going to have issues learning the other ones.

They can learn how to understand and speak English quite reasonably, but pronunciation and shit will elude them, they'll never not pronounce L as R.
Even the best English speaking Jap will "Speaku rikeu this" because that's how you speak naturally when grown up being taught Japanese.
>>
>>146285980
Being Swedish melody is really important in Swedish, I've had Americans Pronounce all the sounds right and then no get the melody right and I can literally not understand what they are trying to say. Speaking foreign language is hard.
>>
>>146285980
>All they have to do is hear it pronounced correctly, right?
I dare you to pronounce Řehoř.
I heard it spoken dozens of times.
It comes from a language as close to mine as possible.

I have never managed to pronounce Ř in a word. I always comes out as ż or hr.
>>
>>146286289
Its totally about having an accent. Its not like they dont practice and discuss the script and know what "the world" means, how its supposed to be pronounced and that it is an English word. Katakana does butcher everything tho.
>>
>>146285171
As someone who speaks german I have to agree with this.
You are giving americans too much credit.
>>
> I mean, even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word, so why isn't this the case in Japan?
I have never seen this happen before. Like, never. People mispronounce French and Spanish shit all the time non-stop without a second thought and there's no reaction. It's almost more funny when someone goes out of their way to say it accurately, especially if they roll their Rs a lot.
>>
>>146285092

Part of the problem is that some "engrish" is just katakana based on an English word. It's not supposed to be an English word anymore, but a Japanese word.

Another part of the problem is that most of the population in Japan isn't fluent. They study Japanese in middle/high school, but not enough to speak the language fluently. I've actually read reports how audiences where often actually -don't like- how correctly pronounced English sounds. Even voice actors that might be able to speak English often have to stick with the katakana script due to that, rather than actually speak English.
>>
>>146285092
"carry okey"
"sue nahmi"

And plenty of examples from English, Spanish, French and Russian.

English monolinguals can barely even pronounce the better part of their own language because of how fucked up the phonology/orthography is.
>>
>>146286552
Americans in Germany have such a heavy accent, but it doesnt sound too bad.
>>
>>146285092
>even in America most people will cringe slightly if you horribly mispronounce a commonly known foreign word
Most people (that are not American).

>>146285501
It sounds pretty stupid when you're speaking your native language and completely switch to another one just for a single word. The English loanwords in my language would probably be hard to recognize for an English native speaker.
>>
>>146285980
Actually, while newborn infants are still able to produce all the sounds the human vocal system is capable of, they lose this ability more and more as the sounds they need get narrowed down to what is needed to speak their mother tongue. The most famous example of this is most people in the world being completely incapable of producing the clicking sounds some African languages consist of.
>>
>>146287000
Mostly refering to german used in english media.
>>
Japanese use kana and kanji.

The approximation for "The World" isn't 'Za Warudo', but instead 'ザ・ワールド’. They're not speaking "Engrish", they're speaking their own language that uses foreign loanwords. Criticizing Engrish is Western-centric and a bit racist.

That isn't to say the English education system over here isn't awful, myself playing a role in how lacking it is. But hey, visa lets me live here, so whatever.
>>
>>146285092
Nah, they'll try to correct you with an equal or worse mispronounciation.
>>
>>146285980
try pronouncing this shit
>>
File: 14261554918750[1].jpg (312KB, 1280x1456px) Image search: [Google]
14261554918750[1].jpg
312KB, 1280x1456px
>>146285980
repeat after me
ыыыыыыыыыы

>>146287969
One thing is using borrowed words in Japanese phrases, but it's no excuse to use horrible accent and broken grammar/sentences for lines supposed to be be in foreign English.
>>
>>146286299
>Even the best English speaking Jap will "Speaku rikeu this"
Not true. I've spoken with a few Japanese who have very good pronunciation. They've all studied English extensively though, and have studied in America. Your average Japanese voice/live action actor isn't going to have the same training.
>>
>>146285092
They think it is cool.
>>
They literally can't understand properly pronounced English, because many of the words end in ways that the rules of Japanese speech don't allow, hence shit like extra vowels when they try to say some English words.

A lot of Japanese actors who learn real English admit they have to mispronounce on purpose so the Japanese audience can understand it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.