[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does Madoka really do differently compared to typical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: madokagundam.jpg (34KB, 564x842px) Image search: [Google]
madokagundam.jpg
34KB, 564x842px
How much does Madoka really do differently compared to typical magical girl shows? I've seen some people say that it does things far darker than other magical girl anime, but I find that those people often can't name any magical girl shows beyond Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. So did Madoka really change things that much? Or was it just a show that happened to be in the right place at the right time?
>>
>>146258823
To be fair, Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon are pretty much the quintessential magical girl shows. If I have to choose truly genre-defining shows, I'd go with those plus Cutey Honey. I'd say everything else (i.e. Wedding Peach, Tokyo Mew Mew, the bajillion Precure shows, even Cutey Honey Flash), while still having their own merits and flaws, follows the path one of those three set.

Madoka set out to be the Evangelion of magical girl shows, but sadly the time for an Evangelion to change things forever is long past.

It's still a good show, but it doesn't have the weight it was planned to carry.
>>
>>146258823
This is a bit of a difficult question. Akiyuki Shinbo set out to do something different for the magical girl genre and put together Butcher, InuCurry, and Ume to help create that. He succeeded at this. They really didn't expect anything beyond a seasonal hit. At this point, I think the franchise went from attempting to change to game to finding it's niche within the magical girl genre as dark fantasy.
>>
>>146258823
Akiyuki was just trolling everyone.

Calling it an eva is a bit overboard.
>>
It DID change things. Madoka was the rise to fame for Aoi Yuuki and Gen Urobuchi, for example. Most likely we wouldn't have Psycho-pass without it. There are also a bunch of shows taking after it, like YuYuYu, Wixoss, Genei wo Kakeru Shoujo and probably more.

Of course, it didn't have the impact of Evangelion, but I don't think it ever intended to. Like >>146262041 said they probably only expected a seasonal hit, not the massive success it got.
>>
>>146262041
>They really didn't expect anything beyond a seasonal hit. At this point, I think the franchise went from attempting to change the game to finding it's niche
Either they attempted to change the game or they expected no more than a season hit, anon. They could not have done both.
>>
>>146258823
Try watching the magical girl shows, imbecile.
>>
How big is Madoka?
I mean, it's got a couple of movies after the show ended, but I never felt it blew up like things like, I dunno, Utena or Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>146264476
It's the best celling anime of the century except for Bakemonogatari.
>>
>>146264026
Two different things. I said they tried to change the game for the magical girl genre. They tried to do something new and they succeeded at it and dark magical girl shows will now be compared to Madoka Magica. It was a very well done show. What they did not expect was for the anime to explode and win award after award and have a fanbase that wanted more than they were prepared to create.
>>
>>146264626
That is a sad commentary in itself.
I mean, liked Madoka when I watched it. It is certainly a good show. But for it to be one of the most sought out things in the last 15 years? Jesus.
>>
>>146264935
So what do you think deserves it more?
>>
>>146266262
I'm not saying another post-2000 show deserves it more. Monster, maybe?
I'm just thinking that, comparing it to the flagship anime titles of 70-90s, Madoka doesn't seem to fit with them.
>>
>>146267152
>The show won the Television Award at the 16th Animation Kobe Awards, as well as 12 Newtype Anime Awards and the Grand Prize for animation in the 2011 Japan Media Arts awards.
>It also won three Tokyo Anime Awards in the Television Category, Best Director and Best Screenplay, and the Selection Committee Special Prize award at the 2012 Licensing of the Year awards.
>Madoka Magica was awarded a Seiun Award for "Best Media" at the 2012 Japan Science Fiction Convention.
>In 2015, the show was also awarded the inaugural Sugoi Japan Grand Prix, Japan's nationwide vote for manga, anime, and novels considered as cultural assets that have the potential to be beloved all over the world, among all the works published since 2005.

I really don't think you understand how much the Japanese loved and still love this show.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.