[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, did anyone else feel something wrong with the ending of this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: UtsuroNoHako_vol1.jpg (29KB, 250x357px) Image search: [Google]
UtsuroNoHako_vol1.jpg
29KB, 250x357px
So, did anyone else feel something wrong with the ending of this series? It feels like Kazuki chose the absolute stupidest way to get what he wants in the end.
>>
>>146163523
He just kept being annoying until he got what he wanted.
>>
BANG

BANG
>>
>>146163523
>It feels like Kazuki chose the absolute stupidest way to get what he wants in the end.
Do elaborate.

What should he have done?
>>
>>146163523
>Not enjoying the part where he literally massacres everyone and heroine comes back and wonders what in the fuck happened
>>
Daiya literally did nothing wrong and was making people learn from their mistakes physically and thus improving the world.

Kazuki is a fucking bitch ass faggot
>>
>>146164253
There are two main ideas that i feel like were wrong/could fix the ending.

1) O did the absolute dumbest thing by putting her kryptonite inside her. Kazuki is psychologically programmed to never give up, which O knows, but still she puts him within his goal.

2) The situation is the reverse of Rejected Classroom. Now Maria is the person without any information of prior events, while Kazuki and his group know everything about the situation. Also, Kazuki has Maria's greatest wish: a box that can do anything in his Empty Box. He should take up the role of the villain (which he just did in the prior volume) against Aya and show how terrible her box is, all while dangling the carrot of the empty box in front of her (if you think this is stretching his personality, he has multiple people around him who want to help him that could come up with these ideas).
>>
>>146163523
>So, did anyone else feel something wrong with the ending of this series?
Because it was a pretty different format compared to the rest of the series. Rather than pvp arguments and all that long dialogue, the characters were mostly isolated during the last book.

I don't think it was a bad idea; to wrap everything up they had to do it kind of differently.
>>
>>146164919
>1) O did the absolute dumbest thing by putting her kryptonite inside her. Kazuki is psychologically programmed to never give up, which O knows, but still she puts him within his goal.
You have completely missed the point. Well done.
>>
>>146164923
I'm not so against the format of the book, but I felt like the theme was really off. One of the main points of the series is how useless wishes are, but Kazuki only really gets through to the end because Maria unconsciously fucked with his personality to make him her savior. Because of that detail, their connection feels incredibly distorted and unsettling to me, since Maria's wish of 'wanting to have someone who needs her' is fulfilled through her wish. That basically means that her 'wish' was granted in the end, when the entire series was about finding those solutions without wishes. If you want a way it could have been done, see >>146164919
>>
>>146164919
>1) O did the absolute dumbest thing by putting her kryptonite inside her. Kazuki is psychologically programmed to never give up, which O knows, but still she puts him within his goal.
O wasn't really in control of any of that. The whole overarching story was about the two conflicting halves of Maria's wish (in the form of O and Kazuki) fighting it out. O was just the embodiment of Maria's wish to become a magical wish-granting being, while Kazuki was hijacked by Maria's wish to become a normal girl.

If the "normal girl" part of Maria's desires had been weaker, or if it had picked a weaker guy to attach itself to, O might very well have won.
>>
>>146165093
Could you clarify this? Do you mean that 'O' was doing so in order to make Maria happy? I understand that is her MO, but it isn't necessarily explained.
>>
File: fact.jpg (71KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
fact.jpg
71KB, 500x375px
Its a shitty story in general.
Maria a best
Kazuki a shit
Everybody else a shit
>>
>>146165313
That's one way to admit you're an idiot.
>>
>>146163523
So the series is finished? How many volumes? I dropped it at the middle of volume 5 or so.
>>
>tfw you will never take care of your waifu while she suffers through a fever
>>
>>146165207
The problem I have here is that it takes all agency out of Kazuki. Since it is explained that he has been hijacked since the beginning, isn't spending time with him just Maria flirting with the idea of her humanity? I understand that Kazuki, up until the 4th novel, is a bit of an underwhelming character. However, that detail just makes it feel like he was not even a character to begin with, and Maria is basically marrying a doll that she carved into her wish at the end ( i don't know, it just feels weird after how much she fucked up Kazuki).
>>
>>146164777
t. Light
>>
>>146165417
7. Pick it back up.
>>
>>146165417
It is finished at seven volumes. It's a pretty engrossing read, but it stumbles a little after the sixth, in my opinion.
>>
>>146165111
>One of the main points of the series is how useless wishes are
I think it was more about showing how regular humans destroy their own wishes through a lack of commitment and determination. Most of the boxes failed because their users doubted themselves and created conflicting orders, and Daiya's failed bid to become a superhuman impartial judge underlined it even more.

It didn't present all wishes as inherently bad: Maria's wishes were pretty admirable, Mogi's wish was perfectly understandable, the Danganronpa guy's wish was terrible, Daiya's wish was misguided, etc.

Meanwhile the only guy who actually got a box to work as intended was Kazuki, who regularly was described as nonhuman or somehow external to humans.

>>146165645
That is a way to interpret it, and I don't entirely disagree. But they kind of went out of their way to suggest that Daiya could have been the white knight, but in the end Maria didn't 'pick' him, so I don't think any just any guy would have worked.
>>
>>146165645
I would really have liked to get some 3rd person perspective scenes of Kazuki before Volume 1 We know from the tear drinking fetish he's not a totally normal guy, but we'll never really be able to compare him before and after meeting Maria, to find out how much of that was him and how much of that was the box.
>>
>>146165815
>Daiya could have been the white knight, but in the end Maria didn't 'pick' him, so I don't think any just any guy would have worked.

Kazuki had already been chosen at that point, so I don't know if that would have worked.
>I think it was more about showing how regular humans destroy their own wishes through a lack of commitment and determination.
I do agree with this interpretation as well, although I think my theme is a corollary of this: since people destroy their own wishes, it's useless and fruitless to take the shortcut of 'wishing' for the goal rather than trying to achieve it.

>>146165945
The tear thing was forced onto him from Nana, iirc. It seems he also had a fucked up life, like everyone else in this series.
>>
>>146166227
>The tear thing was forced onto him from Nana, iirc. It seems he also had a fucked up life, like everyone else in this series.
I seem to recall him actually liking it in the end. But yeah, puberty hit these kids like a truck.

Honestly the only part that annoyed me is having to sit through characters like Kokone and Daiya going super melodramatic nuts over middle-school love. I know that "kids drowning in emotions, getting in over their heads while faking maturity" was a recurring thing, but it still was less than entertaining to read through.

Rereading the Aya flashbacks, first from Maria's big-sister-worship perspective then from Aya's scared-normal-kid perspective, was fucking fantastic, though.
>>
>>146166541
>Kokone and Daiya going super melodramatic nuts over middle-school love
I still don't get what happend here. They both loved each other but yet Daiya dumped her? I don't get it.
>>
>>146166635
Try reading properly.

If that doesn't work, find an easier LN to read.
>>
>>146166541
I can see why Daiya and Kokone would be annoying. I felt it worked since it allowed side characters to have actual effects on the plot. I was a bit disappointed how, outside their arcs, the characters didn't really do much until the 6th volume. I would have liked to see more Mogi, or any of the characters actually helping Kazuki with Maria after all he did for them. This is all a bit nitpicky, since I enjoyed the final volume until thinking about its consequences.

Aya really comes across as a monster initially. I was totally under the impression she had a wish of hers granted for a while.
>>
>>146166635
Honestly I don't get it either. I don't want to wave it away as "kids being hormonal and taking shit too seriously" but I still haven't come up with a preferable alternative interpretation of what those two did.
>>
>>146166819
>>Aya really comes across as a monster initially.
I loved that. I'd even been reading Kamisu Reina beforehand, so I was totally ready for some supernatural monster slant too.
>>
>>146166852
Daiya dumped Kokone as a method of protecting her. Kokone's bullying gave her terrible self-image problems, which made her feel disgusted being with her beautiful boyfriend. She also lost the gentle wholeheartedness that Daiya initially fell for, so both of them felt hurt seeing how the other had changed. Essentially, Kokone really needed a shrink, but didn't get one, while Daiya never stopped blaming himself for what happened to her (that's why his box works through guilt).
>>
>>146166963
>Kamisu Reina

thank you for introducing me to Mikage's other works. I was under the impression he had only been writing Maria.
>>
>>146167003
>so both of them felt hurt seeing how the other had changed.
Would you say they were extra fixated on the idea of changing (particularly themselves)? I might have just over magnified those parts when I was reading, but it seemed like they couldn't stand the idea of being loved by the other after they themselves had changed. As if Kokone felt guilty for not being the same girl anymore? Or am I imagining shit?
>>
>>146167212
Would you say they were extra fixated on the idea of changing (particularly themselves)
They were both fixated on changing, but for different reasons. Kokone tried changing to fix her self image problems, while Daiya was changing as atonement for his perceived sins. For Daiya, if he was no longer the perfect prince, maybe he could have Kokone again. This fails, so he instead tries to find someone who could be there for Kokone.

> but it seemed like they couldn't stand the idea of being loved by the other after they themselves had changed.
I didn't get this. Kokone was trying to move on from Daiya, but not because of Daiya himself, but the memories he brought up. She hated herself for having changed because it hurt Daiya. (so yea, she felt guilty for not being the same girl).
>>
>>146167493
>She hated herself for having changed because it hurt Daiya.
That does seem to make more sense.

It sure was frustrating to read about what's clearly mutual love, while the characters themselves are pushing each other away like that.
>>
One of the best love story from Japan.
>>
>>146167976
It'd be hesitant to call this a love story. Kazuki is basically deranged by the end, because of Maria's selfish desires. More of a horror story, really.
>>
>>146168668
>More of a horror story, really.
That's the best kind of love story.
>>
>>146168668
It's a twisted love story. Kazuki falling in love with Maria was just an indirect consequence of her wish. While Maria falling in love with him just happened because her wish end up making him bonded to her.

I truly love it. I never see something like that in any other midia.
>>
>>146170027
I think the biggest problem I have with the last volume is that I don't know how indirect the consequence is. As I said in >>146165645
without that knowledge it's just very unsettling.
>>
>>146170027
*that said, I was a pretty unique tale that I didn't expect to find in an LN of all places.
>>
File: 04_0919.jpg (31KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
04_0919.jpg
31KB, 500x281px
So, ladies and gentlemen, which anime studio would you choose for an adaptation?
>>
>>146170172
Isn't that the fun part? You can either go full romanticist and decide he genuinely loved her, or go full pessimist and decide he was completely warped by her box, or pick a stance somewhere in between. You could even choose to reverse the cause and effect if you're inclined towards love at first sight: the box picked him because they fell in love, instead of they fell in love because the box picked him.

And I mean, it's not as if Maria was able to tailor Kazuki however she wanted. Although he was a product of her box, it was a subconscious wish that directly clashed with her conscious wishes. Around the 5th volume he was well off the rails and out of her control.
>>
Why does the characters that improves the world always loses?
>>
>>146170720
Go to bed Daiya.
>>
>>146170749
How about you fuck off you deranged mass murderer
>>
>>146170663
That's a good point. I was definitely looking at it through a pessimistic lens. I originally waited a while in between the last volumes to try and guess what would happen next, and after thinking about it today I couldn't really feel happy for Kazuki after all the crap that was dumped on him. 400 years is pretty damn brutal.

>>146170598
Sadly will never happen. This is far too internal a story to really do well.
>>
>>146170894
>Sadly will never happen
Nobody is saying it will you fucking idiot. Read the question again.
>>
>>146170663
Thats a pretty good interpretation anon.>>146170663

>And I mean, it's not as if Maria was able to tailor Kazuki however she wanted. Although he was a product of her box, it was a subconscious wish that directly clashed with her conscious wishes. Around the 5th volume he was well off the rails and out of her control.

Thanks Daiya for it. He made Kazuki aware of himself and this leading him to end up becoming a batshit insane yandere.
>>
>>146171003
Well here. I'll say it'll never happen.

I don't really care about an anime adaptation. Maybe Brain's Base; they did the Denpa Teki OVAs several years after the LNs ended. But I'd prefer a drama CD.
>>
>>146171003
White Fox is good at doing adaptations. I can see this story being portrayed as a lot of dialogue and stills, so maybe SHAFT.
>>
>>146171081
>Thanks Daiya for it.
I'll blame whats-his-face too, the edgelord from the killing game box. The white knighting noticeably ramped up around the 3rd and 4th novel.
>>
>>146171279
The white-knighting was throughout the story though. That's how he got out of the first volume, while the entire second volume was devoted to him recovering his white-knightedness.
>>
File: 1470863012745.jpg (40KB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
1470863012745.jpg
40KB, 499x281px
>>146171201
>shaft
>shinbo
>ever touching a story like hakomari
>>
>those implied rape scenes
I got to say, that was really weird and completely off the walls when I first read this series. I didn't appreciate the whole (as others have pointed out) implication that Kazuki had no real agency.
>>
>>146171354
I did say "ramped up." But I also think he was more about "preserve everyday life" in the first two novels, then started changing to "revert to the zeroth Maria" around the 3rd and 4th, before officially ditching everyday life and fulling focusing on Maria in the 5th.

Reverting Maria was definitely grounded in the ideal of normal life, but it kind of shifted from preserving his normal life to creating her normal life.
>>
Reminder that the author tweeted about MAL:

https://twitter.com/mikage_eiji/status/726767715734589447
>ふと思い立ってMyAnimeListを見てみたが、「空ろの箱と零のマリア」がノベル部門で相変わらず一位だったぜ。http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=novels マンガの括りでも全体二位。母国でももっと人気出るべき! クールジャパンの戦略に組み込み、ハリウッド映画化すべき
>>
>>146171588
That's true, I was discounting his arc there. It really was Maria paradoxically calling for his everyday life by the end.

>>146171524
The odd thing about those scenes were that they never happened to a major character. I was originally under the impression Kokone changed her name after she went to high school to distance herself from them.
>>
>>146171734
Wasn't it implied that a Maria was raped by the edge guy with the killing game?
>>
>>146171863
iirc, in the first iteration edgelord dies before that can happen, while in the second Yuuri is manipulating him/taking on the burden herself.
>>
>>146171863
I think in one of the games Yanagi screwed him, but I don't think it was ever implied he raped Maria.
>>
>>146167160
>Kamisu Reina
Nobody's Right and Everyone Misunderstands Each Other: The Ghost Story
>>
>>146167976
This.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.