[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Farmland Sega

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13

File: 1453216553446.png (404KB, 1088x539px) Image search: [Google]
1453216553446.png
404KB, 1088x539px
This manga is such a joke. He literally never won a battle and he never got his damn revenge either. He's only alive because he was kept alive by his enemies. There's also that quote (I'm still searching for it) where the prince makes some sort of vague comment ending a volume that was never elaborated on.

The main character is too selective with his whole justice thing, it doesn't make any sense. This isn't character development, this is someone with an sm fetish.
>>
File: Vinland Saga v11 c78 p24.png.png (367KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Vinland Saga v11 c78 p24.png.png
367KB, 840x1200px
found it
>>
>>145921114
>characters questioning their beliefs is bad
>characters growing into new motives is bad
>vague storytelling is bad

shonen readers pls go
>>
>>145923881
>growing
I get you're using that because it's more like any growth he had went up in flames. I never said any of it was bad either, I said farmland saga is bad because of those things. Dropped plot-points are bad objectively.
>>
>>145921114
>He's only alive because he was kept alive by his enemies

Way to miss the point, Thorfinn Karlsefni has no enemies
>>
Of course he didn't achieve his revenge, he has no enemies.
>>
>>145923981
>>145924038
>no enemies
except for the offspring of the countless of people he killed during the majority of his life?

Or the guy that killed his father? (indirectly albeit)? Do you guys just take the shit they write at face value without questioning its validity?
>>
>>145924088

Maybe you'd prefer a manga with a derpy 2edgy4me protagonist who lives for revenge and doesn't grow the fuck up like Thorfinn did, anon.
>>
>>145924194
not an argument
>>
File: vinland-saga-2262323.jpg (222KB, 800x1134px) Image search: [Google]
vinland-saga-2262323.jpg
222KB, 800x1134px
>>145924194

I'm not making an argument. You're not my enemy.
>>
>>145924088
>except for the offspring of the countless of people he killed
Did you forget about crossbow girl?
Shes literally this
>>
>>145924271
What are you even saying? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? What are you implying? What are you getting at? She's literally what?
>>
Reading Vinland Saga is the reason I started doing battlegaming with the weird murderhobos who live in the park by my house.
>>
>>145924271

Disagree, crossbow waifu is not an enemy.
>>
>>145924088
>except for the offspring of the countless of people he killed during the majority of his life?
The world is a big place, and most people to this day never leave their country and back then leaving your village was probably a rare thing to ordinary people.
>>
>>145924088
>except for the offspring of the countless of people he killed during the majority of his life?
This is recently being addressed. Thorfinn is an idiot.
>>145921329
His lost innocence, love for God and creation. Something like that.
>>
>>145924334
that's a damn fine beard, I'm jealous.

>>145924424
>His lost innocence, love for God and creation. Something like that.
So he wants to redeem that?

>>145924381
Yet he did it for the majority of his life 24/7, saying he doesn't have enemies if factually just not true.
>>
>>145924515

A lot of people want to kill him, and that doesn't make them enemies. Because Thorfinn doesn't want to kill them.

Did you miss the whole bit with Thorfinn finally realizing and accepting his father's legacy of what it means to be a true warrior?
>>
>>145924625
>A lot of people want to kill him, and that doesn't make them enemies
enemy
ˈɛnəmi/
noun
noun: enemy; plural noun: enemies

a person who is actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.
"the traditional enemies of his tribe"
synonyms: foe, adversary, opponent, rival, nemesis, antagonist, combatant, challenger, competitor, opposer, hostile party; More
the opposition, the competition, the other side, the opposing side;
rarecorrival, vier
"he aimed the gun at his enemy"
antonyms: friend, ally
a hostile nation or its armed forces, especially in time of war.
noun: the enemy
"the enemy shot down four helicopters"
a thing that harms or weakens something else.
"routine is the enemy of art"

Origin
Middle English: from Old French enemi, from Latin inimicus, from in- ‘not’ + amicus ‘friend’.
Translate enemy to
Use over time for: enemy
>>
>>145924515
>So he wants to redeem that?
He's rebelling. Making things 'right' where God make them 'wrong'.
>>
>>145924886

You misunderstood my meaning:

>A lot of people want to kill him, and that doesn't make them enemies
>them

"Them" referring to "A lot of people and Thorfinn" not "Them" referring to just "A lot of people."

For clarity: They can act like enemies towards Thorfinn, but Thorfinn will refuse to become their enemy; therefore they cannot be enemies to each other.
>>
>>145924974
If he has no enemies why is he running away?
>>
>>145924515

I'm actually bottom left with the shitty leg armor. Not a huge fan of the neckbeard look, if you're not in shape beards aren't a real flattering look.
>>
>>145925001

Because he wants to find a way to redeem himself. If he dies as is, he'll wind up in not-valhalla with all the psycho zombies, I'd guess.
>>
>>145925048
Ah I wasn't implying that. My bad. Yeah being fat isn't a pleasant thing for anyone. And it implies a weak mentality. But I still wish I could grow a beard like that.

>>145925071
So it's not because his life is in danger of ending? Or beca-

You know what, have it your way, I don't care anymore. It's just not growth, it's a weakness he's the equivalent of a vegetarian. Which is what makes him so unlikable. He quite clearly has enemies. And he himself is his biggest enemy. He's weak because he gives up his convictions, he gave up the farm to save some married girl his friend was into. He blushes like a faggot whenever he makes awkward physical contact with his friend. He's quite literally a beta faggot. That's not growth. He's like a woman now. If you consider that growth, if you're implying he has no enemies. Or never had enemies. If you imply his dad wasn't murdered by a person or a system. You're just simply wrong and not really worth my time. It's not that hard to miss the point of a manga as preachy as Vinland fucking Saga. I'm just baffled how you take any of his selective justifications at face value. He's inconsistent and that's why his life is so miserable.
>>
Is OP an edgy manchild or a teenager lost on an imageboard for adults?
>>
>>145925267
Nope just an adult that wants to discuss this series. No need to get all personal with your attacks.
>>
>>145921114
He won against Thorkell, it's actually a big victory. For his revenge, it was explained to him why the whole point was moot and he should have had it like a coward instead of asking for honorable duels.
As for the king, he was a little bitch who was too kind for this world and became exactly the man he refused to be in the first place. It's his sacrifice, he doesn't have the "love" for the world anymore, but wants to use the same means others used before him only to try and get his own different result. I wouldn't call it a paradise though since it's the same dirty methods and schemes his father used.

>>145925183
He gave up on considering people has his enemies. Actually, his only enemy was Askelaad (best character in the manga by the way), and he's dead, so after feeling empty he embraced his father's views about war and fighting, but we've already seen that this way doesn't quite work either. All in all, it's character development, and the turn it took isn't surprising if you've read Planetes (previous work of the author). The message is just that one way or the other, you can't escape the past even if you try to change yourself, mainly because confrontation is inevitable in life.
>>
>>145925183

I've gotta leave for work and I don't wanna totally cherrypick your paragraph there, but I have to say I don't think Thorfinn is weak for giving up on his convictions.

I think realizing that your convictions are fundamentally wrong \ making you a part of the problem and struggling past all of it is some very respectable growth as a character.

Don't get me wrong; I wanted to see him throw down and butcher everyone who rolled up on the farm like everyone else because we all know Thorfinn's a badass.

But he didn't, the story's going in a different direction and I feel like Thorfinn's better for it.

Although he'll probably be pushed into a ton of even more unavoidable violence with the jomsvikings, don't wanna speak too soon.
>>
>>145925331
It's funny Thorfinn and Canute were both becoming too much like their fathers and are learning to become better than them.
>>
>>145925331
>He gave up on considering people has his enemies
That's what I mean by 'selective justifications' just because he himself believes that to be the truth doesn't mean it is.

>so after so it's character development
Becoming vegetarian doesn't equal character development. It's just your weak convictions showing trying to justify your behaviour. It's the opposite of development. It's reverting back because you can't mentally cope with it.

>>145925358
He's a beta. He doesn't want to be happy so he pretends that what he does is just. If he truly followed his own convictions he wouldn't be alive. But, like vegetarians, they don't care enough to actually do what they stand for so they half-ass it. Hence I called him inconsistent.
>>
>>145925532
>just because he himself believes that to be the truth doesn't mean it is
That's the whole point of the manga.

>Becoming vegetarian doesn't equal character development
It is though, character development isn't always seen as something beneficial. And besides, he can still beat the shit out of people when he has no choice.

But the thing about him changing, wanting to save people and go make a safe haven for them is that he is running from his past, even when he thinks he has find the right way to live and get forgiveness. It's shown through the manga that no matter who you are, you aren't safe from losing everything, including your own life, own a whim. For Thorfinn the only way out he sees is getting the fuck outta the world he lives in for what he thinks is a world without violence at every corner. Of course he is wrong, but that's maybe something he will see at some point.
And cut the vegan crap please, its as bad as actual vegans advertising their way of life at every turn to feel superior.
>>
>>145925788
>cut the vegan crap
Why? It's a valid metaphor for Thorfinn's behaviour. It's the exact same logical fallacy used by a mentally unstable nutcase.
>>
>>145925850
You're just losing all credibility by being obsessed with that. Did somebody forced you to eat vegetables or something ? I've exposed my point, it's just us posting, now if you can only come back to muh vegans and cry because Thorfinn isn't a little ball of rage anymore, you'll have to do it alone. Nice try maintaining your thread though, but you're just boring with obsessions, and you clearly fell to /pol/ memes.
>>
>>145921329
Did you completely skip over Canute's discussion about "love" with the priest? It's a huge moment and is the driving force behind his actions from then on.
>>
>>145925982
What happened to the priest after the timeskip? I can't remember.
>>
>>145926479

He escaped Falconia with Rickert and the whores
>>
File: 1466954934766.png (102KB, 358x325px) Image search: [Google]
1466954934766.png
102KB, 358x325px
>>
>>145926707
Wrong mango.
>>
>>145926479
Willibald shaved and continued drinking.

He's probably still drinking somewhere.
>>
I think we are all missing the point.

Thorfinn is a FUCKING MANLET. That alone disqualifies him and any manga he is involved with.
>>
>>145927145
Sorry anon, but I happen to know that you are actually a manlet too, and so your post can be safely disregarded. Nice try, shorty.
>>
>>145925976
Not an argument. You're the obsessive one here. My personal experiences have nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>145927523
u wan fight me fgt
>>
>>145928079
Don't wanna get caught up in the new Manlet Abuse laws.
>>
File: 032.png (43KB, 420x293px) Image search: [Google]
032.png
43KB, 420x293px
>>145921114
But the smile
>>
>>145924515
>redeeming love
Kinda, he realized that God wasn't a loving god to his children through the shit that is earth life, so he wants to build a new paradise on earth, away from God to spite him and show that his children can indeed be greater than him.
>>
>>145921114
>He literally never won a battle
>He's only alive because he was kept alive by his enemies

Then what kind of MC do you guys want? I'm confused.
>>
>>145929885
I want a well-written one
>>
>>145921114
>He literally never won a battle and he never got his damn revenge either

That's the whole point of the manga you dipshit. Revenge is dull and battles are what destroys men and their countries. His father tried to escape the spiral of destruction for his own sake and his children's but ultimately failed, before Thorfinn finally reaches the same conclusion, after wasting all his youth in a pointless escape for revenge, before being denied at the end.

He's lost everything, but at the same time he grows into the figure of the "real warrior", the one so strong that he doesn't need to fight, or loses his will to fight because he realises the pointlessness of the whole thing.

I think the manga is simply a transposition of eastern buddhist philosophy and values, into the western world. His views on the world and his fighting style also makes him look like a monk.
>>
>>145930678
>revenge is dull
Losers talk
>>
File: guts grinning 2016.png (1MB, 1661x1073px) Image search: [Google]
guts grinning 2016.png
1MB, 1661x1073px
>>145931344
Look at the 14 years old talking
>>
>>145931584
Does this look like the face of a hero to you >>>145921114
Looks like someone that lets his wife sleep with other men
>>
File: Vinland-Tome-14-7.jpg (605KB, 898x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Vinland-Tome-14-7.jpg
605KB, 898x1404px
>>145931674
Hey look i can cherrypick too !
>>
>>145931831
I'm not
>>
>>145931864
You are
>>
>>145931904
No, how about you actually read my post? How is it cherry picking?
>>
>>145931931
I read it and it's only a cuck meme full of shit. How about YOU read my post and try to medidate about it. If you like edgy protagonists just pass your way and go read another manga, there are plenty to suit your (shit) tastes
>>
>>145932013
?
>>
File: goblin sip.png (69KB, 193x315px) Image search: [Google]
goblin sip.png
69KB, 193x315px
>>145932135
OH ! I get your problem, anon. You can't read ! Now that's troublesome. Maybe it's because you shouldn't skip your class, Timmy. Middle school is important
>>
>>145921114
I get it that your favorite mango Bleach just ended and you're jaded as fuck
But seriously grow the fuck up.
>>
>>145932227
>>145932252
try presenting an argument next time
>>
File: tite kubo.jpg (230KB, 1371x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tite kubo.jpg
230KB, 1371x1000px
>>145932271
...Or maybe it's just autism. My bad
>>
>>145932303
Still no argument I see
>>
File: nomnom.png (124KB, 354x390px) Image search: [Google]
nomnom.png
124KB, 354x390px
>>145932330
All right anon. I'm bored as fuck so I will try to deal with your disability and explain it as simply as I can why you're in the wrong about this.

See, I answered to the question asked here>>145930678, by trying to give some insights about what the manga is about and why Thorfinn is like this, and the message the author wanted to convey.

Now, YOU answered here >>145931344 and >>145931674 by giving either some edgy semi reply and le cuck meme xD.

Now, Jimmy, who doesn't have an argument ?
>>
>>145932504
>still no argument just more reaction imagery no one cares about
Just an FYI, common-knowledge does not substitute for your lack of argument. I've read the same manga you've read. Putting this information in your post doesn't make you right.
>>
File: 017.jpg (182KB, 800x1186px) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
182KB, 800x1186px
>>145932553
>lack of argument

What about you anon ? What are your arguments ?
>>
>>145932642
I hope you'll grow up one day. I truly do. Not just for me, but for all of /a/
>>
File: 033.png (516KB, 1110x1600px) Image search: [Google]
033.png
516KB, 1110x1600px
So does anyone know what stance Askeladd takes here? Never seen that one before.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.