[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has any show deconstructed school battle anime, similar to how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: 5e12ec4940c5fa38360ccb74881be6ef.jpg (226KB, 752x1018px) Image search: [Google]
5e12ec4940c5fa38360ccb74881be6ef.jpg
226KB, 752x1018px
Has any show deconstructed school battle anime, similar to how Re:Zero deconstructs isekai?
>>
SAO
>>
>>145894430
SAO is isekai.
>>
Hey Arnold.
>>
>>145894369
>similar to how Re:Zero deconstructs isekai?
You clearly have no idea what deconstruction means
>>
>>145894369
>take a formula
>add pointless suffering and time resets
>deconstruction
As expected from a re:shiteater.
>>
>>145894369
Bleach has deconstructed modern romance tropes in school battle shounen.
>>
>>145894542
>>145894598
I suspect neither of you have actually watched Re:Zero.
>>
>>145894598
Not agreeing with OP that Re:Zero is a deconstruction, but you literally just described Madoka.
>>
>>145894832
Madoka is also considered a deconstruction, so I'm not seeing why you don't agree?
>>
>>145894542
>Realistic view of the tropes and formulas over the idealistic and romanticized ones.
>>
>>145894484
How is it an isekai?
It has game worlds, not a completely new and different world.

Isekai has apparently turned into "anything you don't like".
>>
>>145896061
That's quite an assumption. In the sense it's portrayed in SAO, it very much is isekai. Log Horizon would be one too, and I say this as someone who likes Log Horizon a lot.

But what we're looking for here is not isekai.
>>
File: 58295425_p0.jpg (2MB, 2488x2715px) Image search: [Google]
58295425_p0.jpg
2MB, 2488x2715px
>>145895706
>bumping a bait thread
At least post Rem.
>>
>>145894369
i want to deconstruct rem's heart with my handholding
>>
>>145894369
Re:Zero deconstructs nothing.
>>
>>145894484
How the fuck is SAO isekai. Only Alicialization could possibly be one.
>>
File: 1467211085053.png (321KB, 509x509px) Image search: [Google]
1467211085053.png
321KB, 509x509px
>>145894369
>>
Re:Zero didnt deconstruct shit but Utena?
>>
>>145896901
>>145897099
Not an argument.
>>
>>145894925
I think his point was that madoka isn't really a deconstruction?
>>
>>145897738
That's like trying to make the point that peanut butter doesn't contain peanuts.
>>
>>145897789
cmon man no food analogies, this isn't /v/, you're better than that
>>
>>145897680
Having edgy deaths doesn't make a show a deconstruction
>>
>>145894946
so not RE:Zero?
>>
>>145897967
What does that have to do with /v/?
>>
>>145897994
Yeah, you definitely haven't watched it.
>>
>>145898126
>y-you haven't watched
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>145898291
Not looking good for you.
>>
>>145898024
That describes Re:Zero.
>>
>>145898592
it really doesn't
Typical Isekai:
>MC gets dropped into unfamiliar situation
>through trial and ingenuity overcomes his environment and goes on to do incredible things
Re:Zero:
>MC does stupid things and dies over and over again and gets depressed

So it's a deconstruction or just bad writing?
A true deconstruction would have the MC acknowledge that he can not overcome his environment without great effort.
Perhaps it would come out with the conclusion that he can't have a great impact on the world he's in.
That's not Re:Zero. Re:Zero just presents this comically slapstick MC to the audience, who for some reason tends to make the worst decisions ever at every turn. We already have Watamote/Kaiji/NHK for that and those do a much better job.

This is the same situation as the Jesus cross in a jar of piss.
It has no artistic value but somehow there are people who praise it for being piss in a jar.
>>
<MC transported to another world>
>"Boring" "Generic" "Zzz"

<It's a deconstruction!>
>"10/10" "aotyay" "ebin"
>>
>>145899087
Well this definitely confirms you haven't watched the show since episode 18 is exactly what you claim didn't happen.

I wonder if you'll ever stop being a petulant child who only shitposts about popular things.
>>
Re:Zero is the deconstruction of our generation
>>
>>145899191
>stop calling my show not a deconstruction wahhh
Not an argument
>>
>>145899191
>episode 18 is exactly what you claim didn't happen
I watched it and the only thing I saw was self pity and a very awkward set of monologues.
>>
>>145894369
I want to deconstruct Emilia
In a sexual sense
>>
>>145899338
Everyone who tries to use this "Not an argument" meme is completely incompetent at it.
>>
>>145899342
Well then maybe someone should tear your fucking eyes out because you aren't using them.
>>
I was always curious why "deconstruction" has been a swear word on /a/ since even before Madoka, but on /co/ it is often celebrated as a way of bringing new life to tired old characters and the aging cape genre is general.
>>
>>145899833
It's simple. /a/ hates popular things and, even though deconstruction accurately describes Madoka, they hate it because Madoka's popularity means they had to see that word a lot.
>>
>>145894747
x
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

Reminder that the term deconstruction should be applied to a type of literary criticism, not to a work that subverts genre expectations.
>>
>>145894369
Fucking idiots. In order to deconstruct something, you need to reconstruct it in the long run.
>>
>>145901425
Re:Zero is doing that too.

So I'm guessing that since nobody was able to provide an answer, there's yet to be something that did for school battle what Re:Zero did for isekai. A shame, but not too surprising.
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (59KB, 619x470px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
59KB, 619x470px
>>145901739
>>
File: upset maids.png (564KB, 781x635px) Image search: [Google]
upset maids.png
564KB, 781x635px
Why is Emilia so shit? She ruined the whole episode!
>>
>>145901934
What is this meme, Emilia didn't even show up in the last episode
>>
File: bigeyecat.jpg (38KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
bigeyecat.jpg
38KB, 268x265px
Re:Zero might not be the best deconstruction, but it's definitely arguable that it is one.

It takes the trope of someone from our world who's in good shape while still being "normal" (eg not a world champion martial artist) getting thrown into a high magic setting of swords and sorcery and points out that without plot armor, they should to die extremely quickly if they attempt heroics instead of acting like the peasant they are.

That's not much of a story though, so they have to give him a power to keep the plot rolling. As far as deconstruction goes, they chose an extremely good one to accomplish that. Subaru can use his knowledge of the consequences of his actions to take just the right action(s) to undermine an overwhelming foe, which naturally looks like luck to those not in-the-know. It also allows the writers to show how even if the trope is done straightforward with a veneer of reality, the main character prevailing until he becomes godking tier powered or whatever is mostly sheer, dumb luck (or at best at the direction of a "just as planned" background manipulator, much as Subaru is inevitably going to be revealed as a pawn of some larger plot when the nature of his transportation and power is explained).

Is it executed flawlessly? No, it's first and foremost presented as an emotionally engaging show attempting to appeal to a wide audience, and prioritizes the storytelling elements that accomplish that. If you were never looking for it, the significance of the deconstruction elements could completely slip your notice and you wouldn't have missed some crucial arc of the story.

>>145901304

Subverting genre or plot conceits while maintaining the first conceit is a time honored a form of criticism. Why do you think parody is considered a type of criticism? It's been going on for at least as long as history, and some classics are actually deconstructions of tropes of their time even though the tropes themselves are dead and the deconstruction is lost on us.
>>
>>145894598
But Evangelion doesn't have time resets. unless rebuild is a sequel
>>
>>145894369
How has re:zero deconstructed isekai when SAO hasn't? They are both equally generic isekai, SAO just has an overpowered gary stu MC, whereas re:zero's MC is a steamy pile of shit that can't do anything. I don't understand the re:zero diehards... seeing someone say re:zero is a deconstruction of isekai is just as cringey as seeing someone roleplaying as kirito online. Please stop.
>>
>>145894369
I wouldn't say re:zero is a deconstruction. A deconstruction is usually made by taking a realistic views of idealized genres and tropes. Evangelion for example, shows just how emotionally scarring it is for a teenager to be forced into fighting massive world destroying threats in a giant robot on a daily basis, as well as the bizzare and twisted scenarios which would lead to only teenagers being able to pilot said robots. If re:zero was a true deconstruction of the isekai genre (if you can even call it that), I think it would at least have done a similar thing, by taking a realisic view on being pulled into a parallel world.

>mc is a normal social person
>gets isekai'd
>mc realizes he'll never see his family/friends again
>forced into conflict he has no personal investment in
>has special power which he hates or doesn't care for.
>mc becomes bitter/hateful to everyone who keeps things on him, especially the person responsible for transporting him into new world
>side characters have to cope with realizing they have to rely on a newcomer to do the job they've trained their whole lives for

All re:zero has really done is depower the mc and make him less of a good guy, and not even by much, considering his return by death ability, and saving Rem/Emilia. Besides I wouldn't even say the tropes in isekai are well defined enough to make a proper deconstruction yet.
>>
>>145902018
Emilia ruins every episode by being Subaru's driving force.
>>
>>145902181
>Durr hurr how is Re:Zero different from SAO, here's how they are totally different and this somehow means they are the exact same thing
>>
>>145901820
What the fuck is this post supposed to mean. He doesn't even have a fedora.
>>
>>145902036
Genuinely great post.
>>
>>145902676
use your imagination
>>
Idk
>>
>>145902814
Are you trying to say that Gundam Wing is a deconstruction of school battle anime?
>>
>>145902181

Wow, you're fucking dumb
>>
>>145902036

Great post, anon

>it also allows the writers to show how even if the trope is done straightforward with a veneer of reality, the main character prevailing until he becomes godking tier powered or whatever is mostly sheer, dumb luck

Can you elaborate more on this part?
>>
It really fucking puts into perspective how out of touch some people are that they think "edgy deaths" have anything to do with why Re:Zero is a deconstruction.
>>
>>145894369
This show decostruct absolutely nothing, jesus christ. Sasuga REEEEE:Zerofags tho.
>>
>>145894369
(you)
>>
>>145903448
It's the standard "hey guys I don't like re:zero" formula that gets (You)s
>>
>>145903448
Not trolling, explain how it is? If you make a claim back it up.
>>
>>145894369
Deconstruction is such a fag term.

Re:Zero doesn't so much deconstruct isekai as a whole as it does deconstruct the protagonist. It's still pretty isekai and I think the shallow side characters exemplify that. Thankfully they don't get that much screentime so the show isn't hurt too much by them.
>>
OP here, I just realized I've actually already watched the show I'm looking for. If anyone else is wondering, it's Mahouka. So that settles that, I guess.
>>
>>145904145
Why do so many retards on /a/ use "sasuga" with their condescending posts? Just makes you look like a stupid fucking weeb.
>>
File: bigeyewtf.jpg (33KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
bigeyewtf.jpg
33KB, 268x265px
>>145903343
>>145902742

Thank you.

As for highlighting the luck of typical protagonists, it displays how crucial common knowledge (such as the existence of mabeasts) that the protagonist lacks means that he also has no real chance of overcoming such antagonists if the plot doesn't drive him into just the right actions to find out just in time to act against the threat, allow him to home in on the weakness of a threat through luck (often written off as instinct or intuition) or drive him around the threat until he's equipped to deal with it. It took several attempts and quite a bit of time exploring dead end ideas before Subaru learned the bare minimum about mabeasts required to actually do anything about the cursing. He was essentially grasping at straws until the collective attempts revealed enough about the world to where he could take an educated guess at how to determine what was killing him or Rem each time.

It also demonstrates that early in the character's arc, before they've had time to gain enough experience to form reasonable expectations about he world around them, that they can't differentiate between minor threats and major ones. That was the case in his attempts to keep Granhirte from killing everyone in the bar. He kept bringing relatively weak reinforcements into the fight, expecting them to stand a chance against her. Since this was so early in the story, they showed that he ultimately had to just brute force his way into a solution to the point where his mostly futile attempts accidentally dragged Reinhard into the fight, which a more informed character might have done straight away.

While there is going to be the typical anime power ramp in Subaru's opponents, the writers can introduce threats that a normal protagonist would have no prayer of defeating (even in underdog contexts) as long as they also provide an unlikely and unconventional solution that only his foreknowledge can reveal. He's expected to craft his own sheer, dumb luck.
>>
>>145902885
Why?
>>
>re:zero is different because the beta faggot MC dies and kills himself multiple

Nope, just generic isekai with forced edge and drama
>>
>>145905261

I should also add that if I had to guess, I'd say Subaru's story is going to culminate in him defeating some powerful antagonist after he's lost the Return by Death ability. He'll have a typical isekai victory, but the major theme will be that he was only able to get that far because he literally could not fail to do so due to his Groundhog Day type circumstances, whereas anyone else who even attempted it in a realistic fashion would have simply been crushed by the dangerous world they found themselves in.
>>
>>145894369
>deconstructed
>he says
>literally some cuck stuck inside elder scrolls
>that keeps on dying
you're a retard
>>
>>145905768
Not him but his post reads like he's 14 years old and really dedicated to being a hipster.
>>
>>145906115
>KEK KEK KEK KEK

You kids and your buzzwords. Sound like a goddamn rooster.
>>
Re: Zero doesn't deconstruct the Isekai genre as a whole. It simply deconstructs the otaku protagonist trope.
>>
>>145906385
Doesn't someone eventually come after Emilia to give her the D?
>>
>>145906998
Sure, if D stands for "Death."
>>
>>145906214
How?
>>
>>145906385
You seem mad bro that your shit anime isn't liked.
Go watch SAO or SnK again.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.