[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Re:Zero has been subject to a ton of controversy since it started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 26

File: images.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Re:Zero has been subject to a ton of controversy since it started airing, with the community being more divided than I've personally ever seen. Some praise it as the best anime of the year while others demonize it as the next SAO. I want to hear your reasons for your opinions. Tell me why you hate it, and why you love it, and argue amongst each other.

Personally, I'm in love with it. Despite not being finished, it's currently my favorite anime for many reasons.I relate with the main character heavily, and the characterization and development is handled way more realistically than most other shows I've seen. It's also very clear a lot of love and effort went into the show, with the fantastic directing, voice acting, and art. I feel like a single frame isn't wasted, and they even go as far as skipping opening and endings which I've NEVER seen with maybe one or two notable exceptions with no where near the regularity.

I often hear it criticised as trying to be a Hiragashi, Stiens:Gate, or All You Need Is Kill, but I don't get that impression. The writing treats the loops much differently than most other time travel stories. Every loop feels like it matters and each life is treated like it could be his last. I've always disliked the trope of the death montage into the main character getting overpowered, and I appreciate that this show avoids that.

That's my thoughts on the show, and why I believe it is very good. I want to hear your thoughts too.
>>
Thank you for sharing MaLfriend.
>>
>>145797119
>hey even go as far as skipping opening and endings which I've NEVER seen with maybe one or two notable exceptions with no where near the regularity.
I'll bite. There's plenty that do this and the person who wrote this has watched like 20 series total
>>
>>145797232
Would you mind listing some? Like, I honestly haven't seen it that often.
>>
>>145797119
>the community
Fuck off newfag.
>>
I dropped it after episode 7 because I can't stand the MC. If only he kept his mouth shut for a few minutes.
>>
>>145797119
people don't even talk about re:zero in the last season. I have no idea what happened.
>>
Why are people so obessed with an anime's community so much? if you meet a guy that likes the same anime as you, then good, its fun to discuss it. If they dont , Oh well.
>>
When the first episode aired, I searched and searched for the source material. I found some horrible translations of the WN and the manga was also being worked on. There was an important difference in the MC between the anime and all other mediums. Subaru is a normie in all other version than the anime. For some reason they made a point of him being a shut-in. Really tho, he's still a high school student, and was concerned about missing class. He's too young to be a NEET.

If you want to use his confession to Rem as evidence that his character is a NEET in the other versions, he very specifically avoids details. He relates that he feels that he has done nothing of worth, and really, every high school student in a 1st world nation would feel the same way in that situation.

Why does it matter? If he's a normie, his ineptitude is because of ignorance. If he's an otaku, he is a massive fucking idiot for getting so much of the situation wrong.
>>
The MC is a big fucking loser with very little personality
Everytime his balls finally drops it snaps right back in for the next volume
>>
>>145797281
I'm rewatching Kami Nomi right now. First episode already skipped the ending. There's tons and tons of examples out there.

About this show: I just can't stand Subaru. I could tolerate it up till a point, but after he went and made a complete fool out of himself like 3 times, I decided to just drop it. Is he slowly losing his mind due to the time loops or something? They never explain this so fuck if I know. In any case, can't stand his stupid face and the retarded speeches he makes.
>>
>>145797119
I hate it cause it's popular and I'm a contrarianfag.
>>
>>145797119
I like it and I know the ending will trigger the fuck out of everyone
>>
File: upset maids.png (564KB, 781x635px) Image search: [Google]
upset maids.png
564KB, 781x635px
Why is Emilia so shit? She ruined the whole episode!
>>
>>145798635
Just saying. Most shows skip the OP on the first episode.
>>
>20 eps
>no progression at all.
unless you think rem become a "subaruwhore" is progression.
>>
>>145797119
Sage for blogshit.
>>
>>145798722
ep18 already triggered everyone

This is going downhill and fast. Also what is the point of this whole show I'm still lost and its been like 20 episodes now
>>
>>145798635
i think part of it is satella influencing his mind, but he was a sperg before he was isekai'd as well. had no friends because he was annoying
>>
>>145798635
You can't understand something unless it is directly stated? This is why anime's can't have subtlety.

It is obvious that Subaru can not take dying over and over again.
>>
>>145798844
>announcing sage
spotted the /v/ermin
>>
>>145798827
Episode 18 is when the anime starts. Everything else was build up.
>>
>>145797119
>It's also very clear a lot of love and effort went into the show, with the fantastic directing, voice acting, and art.

wait is this a joke. I mean what you are watching is clearly not re:zero/10 if you think that
>>
>>145798959
>anime's
>>
>>145798320
I think it's to strike a chord with the viewing audience, since many of them are young adults who are self-conscious about those sort of things.
>>
>>145798959
Not in this show, no. From the get go he acted like a retard, it just got worse as time went on. Might as well be because we seen him for longer by then.
>>
>>145798959
No hes a faggot.
He can take it just fine. Hes a NEET, Hes not the guy to get fazed by this shit.

Even bettlejuice knew he was perfectly sane. The nigga just only has balls on when its necessary for the P l o t.
The first 2 damn episodes he already showed he was capable of having at least some balls.
>>
>>145799347
The guy gets 0 development. Almost as bad as Kirito.

I can't think of a single *unique* way hes changed from Episode one.
>>
>>145799466
how about heavy ptsd and realization that he's weak as fuck
>>
>>145797119
tl;dr

It's shit.
>>
>>145799092
>Episode 18 is where the series starts
>The other 17 episodes were a fucking Star Wars prologue intro

What a shit anime.
>>
>>145798320
>He's too young to be a NEET.
Compulsory education ends after middle school.
>>145799347
He was more of a well meaning goof in the beginning, which could actually be endearing, but he just went to shit after going full retard in the castle.
>>
File: asdffds fdsa.jpg (29KB, 344x291px) Image search: [Google]
asdffds fdsa.jpg
29KB, 344x291px
I was going to make a thread dedicated to this, but don't want to put too many threads on the board.

I was without internet for a couple of weeks and have just caught up to this. So here are my thoughts:

I am so fucking mad subaru doesn't just get with Rem. My rage at how big of a colossal faggot he is all consuming. Soon it will swallow up the Earth and solar system. Then it will move on to our sector of the Milky Way, burning all in its path. It will destroy the Milky Way before turning to the Local Group and finally the rest of the universe. Watching Rem's heartfelt confession as he sits there like a total fucking loser fuels my rage. Then him saying "I love Emilia" was the spark that ignited my hatred.

I am so mad. I will never be not mad. Fuck Subaru. Fuck this series. Fuck the manga. Fuck the LN. Fuck anime in general. I'm so fucking over it.
>>
>>145797119
Every popular anime has been super controversial on /a/ newfag
>>
>>145800245
Reddit: Zero isn't really that popular.
>>
>>145800386
It's the most popular show of this and last's seasons.
>>
>>145797119
You tried by posting it at nighttime /a/ but 4chan doesn't allow for this kind of discourse especially because you put your arguments in the OP, which is just asking for fag-calling. Next time post it in a dead Re:Zero thread, it'll work out better. I'll type out an argument for you but I gotta sleep, hopefully the shitposters keep this one afloat until next morning.
>>
>>145800386
This is just plain wrong.
>>
>>145800504
Ignoring the normie animes, i'm pretty sure Kabaneri and Grimgar were much popular. Re-Zero is just picking up scraps.
>>
>>145799097
Kobayashi and Matsuoka's voice-acting at episode 15 deserves a medal, that one I won't yiel. Re:Zero's art is par for the course, nothing too spectacular but the good direction made it more than watchable.
>>
>>145800504
Where exactly? MAL? /a/? Crunchyroll? Japan doesn't care about it. BD sales are OK, light novels are doing pretty good but is far from being a hughe hit to the likes of KonoSuba or SAO
>>
>>145797119
Re:Zero = Best anime of 2016

Why? This anime will remind us:
- how Kirito starts his journey in despair and later Asuna came to his life and give him hope for life (Sword Art Online = best anime of 2012);
- how Eren and his friends fight against the cruel reality and enemies which only bring despair (Attack of Titan = best anime of 2013)
-how a positive man became insane, caused by the cruelty of the reality itself (Tokyo Ghoul = Best Anime of 2014)
-how Saitama... wait I can't find anything resemble Re:Zero in One-Punch Man LOL (=Best Anime of 2015)

Maybe these are ridiculous reasons, but aside those I believe Re:Zero has the quality to become the best anime of the year.
>>
File: BI2a08V.jpg (114KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BI2a08V.jpg
114KB, 1920x1080px
>>145800710
>mfw this isn't pasta
>>
File: 1471239882122.jpg (404KB, 936x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471239882122.jpg
404KB, 936x1200px
>>145800642
Kabaneri is arguable, but Grimgar, really? I'd say Re:Zero is just as, if not less, popular than Konosuba at this point. The dramatic elements make it a better subject of discussion than Konosuba which is more comedic, though.
>>
>>145800710
Fucking remfags
>>
>>145797119
Girls not cute enough, and the winning girl is a typical bland mature bitch.
That's all it takes me not to like it.
>>
Most of the reasons I see is that people hate Subaru. That's a good reason, and this is directed at the people who hate him AFTER episode 12

That was the point. You're SUPPOSED to hate him, and most of the third arc is aimed at making him out to be the most pathetic, entitled, selfish person they can. You're supposed to hate Subaru because Subaru hates himself. At least, that's my take.

I also honestly don't get the whole "No character development!" complaint and I disagree 1000%. The show is really good at taking typical character tropes and making them a lot more 3 dimensional. Back to Subaru, a great example of his characterization is how he treated the world as a game. He acted like a kid that just got put in a crazy fantasy world and that everything would go his when. Then, in episode 17 he punches another character in screams in his face that "THIS IS NOT A GAME". It was subtle, but this was great way to highlight how his view on the world has changed in my opinion.
>>
>>145801158
>You're SUPPOSED to hate him
truly the shinji ikari of our time

except you're wrong

The LN author said he's supposed to be a tragic character.
>>
>>145801158
>You're SUPPOSED to hate him
You realize that this triggers the selfinsert fags, and Subaru is more tragic than rage-inducing. I think Tappeir's intention is for the reader to pity him.
>>
>>145801210
What is death of the author?
>>
>>145801361
Retarded postmodernist theory that belongs in the trash?
>>
>>145800967
Where's Subaru in that male ranking?
>>
>>145801210
>you're wrong
How I interpret something can't be "wrong" even if it's unintended. If we're supposed to pity him, the point still stands as it's highlighting how pathetic he really is.
>>
>>145801158
>most of the third arc is aimed at making him out to be the most pathetic, entitled, selfish person they can.

And then Rem says that he isn't pathetic or selfish. No, you aren't supposed to hate Subaru.
>>
>>145801444
Rem just wants his dick and she's female, unlike the rest of us.
>>
>>145781706
>44 IPs

>>145786351
>58 IPs

>>145786066
>47 IPs

>>145754786
>93 IPs and waifufaggotry themed thread

IRC involvement in shitposting this anime is easy to spot
>>
>>145801444
Like I said, they intentional show his most disgusting traits because that's all Subaru sees in himself. Rem is the outside opinion that reminds of of his good side.

It's like you guys aren't even trying.
>>
>>145801586
Subaru doesn't have a good side.

There's pretty much not a single redeeming quality about him.
>>
>>145800710
this is a rather long-winded shitpost you've got here
>>
File: 1461105455297.jpg (81KB, 700x632px) Image search: [Google]
1461105455297.jpg
81KB, 700x632px
>>145798844
>Don't talk about anime on the board for anime
>>
>>145801611
His determination? His bravery? How, before he's completely overwhelmed, he managed to stay positive despite living through some fucked up shit? How he literally killed himself to fix his selfish fuck up? There's plenty good about him. I swear half of you aren't even watching the same show.
>>
>I relate with the main character heavily,
>they even go as far as skipping opening and endings which I've NEVER seen

hello newfriend
>>
>>145801586
No, they have the rest of the characters continually shit on him without knowing anything about his unique circumstances, and as time goes on he starts to believe their bullshit. He hasn't really done anything wrong, he overreacted in the knight scene but that's the most of it.
>>
File: 1469404572773.jpg (381KB, 1280x1556px) Image search: [Google]
1469404572773.jpg
381KB, 1280x1556px
>>145797119
It's a poorly paced, half baked hodgepodge of unfinished ideas and contrived story lines. The only reason I've kept watching is for the sheer entertainment value of seeing the whole goddamn show crash and burn.
>>
>>145801735
His "determination" and "bravery" are done out of trying to get Emilia to notice him, it's entirely selfish.
>>
>>145797119
>Some praise it as the best anime of the year
>Falling for reverse trolls
>>
>>145801567
>Reasonable amount of IPs

It's call having a discussion, Anon.
>>
>>145801759
So you're telling me Subaru has enough complexity to have self doubt because of how he's treated, but the characters are all shitty and one dimensional with no development?

Again, episode 12-18 are supposed to highlight Subaru's shortcomings and put you in the same mindset that he feels about himself. While it's not completely unique, it's still brilliant writing.
>>
>>145797119
I just like how Mitsubishi-kun fucks up everything, and the last episode will be the bestestes
>>
>>145801863
That's idiotic. If every good thing you did in life were selfish just because you do it for another person, every person in the world is a selfish asshole. If anything it's more admirable that he's willing to make sacrifices for someone else, even if at the end of the day it's for a selfish reason.
>>
File: 1469502828828.jpg (437KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1469502828828.jpg
437KB, 1440x810px
>>145801828
You're entitled to your opinion but it sounds like your complaints are just a bunch of overused terms that "critics" use.
>>
>>145802153
I don't know why you're arguing. Subaru says himself that everything he's done is to make Emilia feel like she owes him something, and he thinks that he's entitled to her attention. This is a major plot point. Did you miss this?
>>
>>145801979
Of course Subaru has the most development and depth, he's the MC and we have inner monologues. The other characters don't get as much screentime and don't know anything about time loops, so they come off as ignorant. Subaru acts reasonably from episodes 12-18 aside from episode 13 when he gets in way over his head. His main "shortcoming" is that he's weak from only having the power to reset time.
>>
>>145797119
>Blog
>>
>>145802209
He's demonizing his own altruistic actions out of self hate. Have you never been in that position before? Because I've certainly had time were I've thought I was a terrible person because I overthink my actions.

Which is a big plot point.
>>
>>145802378
Except Subaru doesn't acknowledge himself as a terrible person until later, and when he does call himself pathetic it's only because he's a NEET who has never done anything in his life, not because he expresses regret over what he said to Emilia.
>>
>>145802304
I agree with this criticism because some of the characters, like Ram, Emilia, and Beatrice have been sidelined hard in the latest episodes. However, the characters that do get screen time are always interesting and get development, like Rem, Crusch, and Wilhelm
>>
>>145802154
explain to me the motivations behind any one character in the whole show. show me a time that an ark doesn't go off on a meaningless tangent for episodes at a time. Find a single motif that makes the story of subaru the socially stunted sperg worth telling. I sure as hell can't. From what I've seen, Re:zero is yet another vapid husk of a story made to sell Light novels and body pillows.
>>
>>145802656
Rem is a character that feels inferior. When she was a child, her twin sister outshined her in every way. She struggled to become the center of attention, but always fell behind. However, when her sister lost her horn and became weak, Rem became the center of attention. Subaru calls her sister useless and pointless many times, but Rem always defended her because she knew how great she was. Over all, this leads to her being protective, humble, and nearly worships her sister.

I honestly think you're trolling, but I'll bite. I haven't seen the show go off track once. In fact, it's pretty concise and everything makes sense in the context of the show. There are moments of rest and levity, but even those serve as a foil for the more extreme sections of the story. I don't think you understand basic story telling or pacing.
>>
>>145803050
The entirety of the second season comes to mind. In regards to Subaru. The beginnings of his possessive mindset towards his relationship with Emilia appear overnight. His self destructive behavior isn't rooted in his character, but rather in a cheap means of forwarding the plot. His motivations and state of mind flip flop at the drop of a hat. A single conversation with waifu pandering personified was enough to pull him out of what the show had built up as deep seated depression/psychosis. Examine any other character and the same holds true, the impetus to their actions lies outside of the confines of their characters.
>>
>>145802656
It's pretty obvious Subaru saw this new world as a chance to change himself. He reaffirmed this when he said that he wants to become someone that can live up to the vision Rem has of him. The whole reason he had his first major breakdown was because he felt that no matter how much he genuinely wanted to become a better person and help everyone in the mansion they didn't trust him, which led to him being murdered several times. Most people complain that his only goal is Emilia but the reason he's so obsessed with her because she was his only pillar of support until Rem came around. I'd also say that every episode moves the plot forward or has some kind of character development. I'm not saying it's Shakespeare, but it's definitely an improvement over most other shows and light novels in recent years.
>>
>>145797119
It's good, possibly AOTS, but this season is rather weak. It's no masterpiece but I am a fan of it.
>>
>>145797119
Thanks for making a good quality thread OP. Its nice to have actual discussion.
>>
I just think it's an above average anime that knows its limitations and understands many of the faults of the genre and avoids or subverts them.

it has its flaws and shortcomings. I still prefer it over anything else airing. It's the only anime other than Mr Robot I even bother to follow.
>>
>>145798944
They should of have said that first. The first mistake of this trash is that it goes the Isekai route with a very generic looking MC so you think he is suppose to be relatable when he isn't.
>>
>>145804237
>in recent years.
Oh please, you don't watch much anime do you?
>>
i marathoned it yesterday, i found it to be good

just started lurking the threads and there's a lot of waifuposting, the usual. aslo something about a sp translator?

and now you tell me people hate it beyond the hatepopularthings meme?

woah
>>
>>145797119
Nice blog.
Where do I subscribe cunt.
>>
>>145801210
How the fuck is a character having flaws that repeatedly and inescapably inflict harm upon him not tragic?

It's a tragedy because he has awareness of his flaws and tries but fails to fix them, with dire consequences.

He even gets the faint illusion that there are no consequences through the return, but that's even showing itself to be a tragedy in the making.
>>
>>145805394
>t's a tragedy because he has awareness of his flaws and tries but fails to fix them
He has awareness of "flaws" that we've never seen (his NEETdom).

He has no awareness of the flaws that we actually have seen (his entitled attitude toward Emilia).
>>
>>145797119
>people not realizing this is bait
>>
>actually trying to discuss an anime
>HURR DURR FUCK OFF BLOGGER
Holy shit, is this really what /a/ has come to? I'm sorry I even lurked this thread.
>>
>>145805537
I'm pretty sure they're directly related. The way he feels entitled to have his expectations regarding Emilia fulfilled is just a symptom of why he was a NEET in the first place.
>>
>>145805816
>The way he feels entitled to have his expectations regarding Emilia fulfilled is just a symptom of why he was a NEET in the first place.
That's pretty reaching, considering he never says anything about feeling any regret over the way he treated Emilia.
>>
Got into because people said it was like Stein's: Gate and I really fucking liked Stein's: Gate. I don't like it as much as that, but it is still definitely a strong contender for anime of the year. Probably will be in my top 15 anime of all time, although half the anime I watch is shit so that's not saying much.
>>
>>145805850
So? He was pretty vague about his other failings too.
>>
>>145805962
>So?
>>145805537
>He has no awareness of the flaws that we actually have seen (his entitled attitude toward Emilia).
>>
>>145805929
>but it is still definitely a strong contender for anime of the year.
Jesus christ

Have you watched ANYTHING else this year?
>>
>>145805130
I watch enough understand that the industry has been overloaded with piss poor uninspired SoL's and harem shows with the same recycled character archetypes and appearances. What do you think are some of the better shows in the past couple years?
>>
>>145806005
What I'm saying is that I literally don't care that he hasn't gone on any sort of self deprecating rant about how he's been treating Emilia yet.

If he goes the entire series without addressing it, you have a fair point, but there's still more room for it to remain a tragic flaw before he addresses or tries to fix it. The more general problems come first.

Or do you want the character to overcome all their problems at once in an unrealistic way?
>>
File: 1469911732932.jpg (22KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
1469911732932.jpg
22KB, 404x404px
>>145797119
I love(d) the show. But when Subaru said I love Emilia I fucking hated everything right then and there.
>>
File: (Angry Bard Noises).gif (302KB, 294x266px) Image search: [Google]
(Angry Bard Noises).gif
302KB, 294x266px
>>145798778
I fucking hate Emilia and Subaru now.
>>
>>145805929
I guess to expand on why I do like it, I'll say the animation is pretty good. The voice acting is well done. It also does the time loop in a unique and interesting way. There is also some good comedy and cultural references.

What is just adequate about it is the writing. After the initial story arc when he first arrives his deaths don't have a strong impact anymore. To top that off his actions in many of them don't sense to me at all even when I sympathize with the fact he probably has mental health issues due to all this shit. Emilia also seems to be incredibly boring as of late and is just there as a plot point. Honestly it seems like the most interesting characters aren't getting enough of their story fleshed out. I've been waiting for Felt and there's been shit. Hardly anything on Puck, Beatrice or Roswall. I liked Ram and Rem more when they insulted Subaru. I wanted them fleshed out, but not lose their original qualities.

I ended up reading summaries of further arcs and I'm mostly just waiting for the witches of sin to show up and the other characters to get fleshed out as they seem way cooler. In spite of all the criticism I gave, it's still really enjoyable.
>>
>>145806245
You're missing the point entirely.

This post >>145805394 said that Subaru is a tragic character because he's addressing his flaws. The fact of the matter is that he is not addressing his flaws. He's just addressing some of his self insert traits that were put in the LN/anime so that losers could relate to Subaru, however we've never actually gotten any backstory or depth beyond a couple of sentences concerning Subaru's NEETdom. So there's no reason to think he's a tragic character based on this, because he's filled with resolve over a conflict that we never saw happen in the first place. He's not addressing his actual flaws which we have seen in the series, such as his obsession with Emilia's attention.
>>
>>145806426
If they're going to ship Emilia and Subaru at least make me like her a little more
>>
>>145806036
Honestly not a whole not. I have a job that requires a ton of travel so not much time to watch anything.
>>
>>145806525
The funny thing is, if I were Subaru I'd go for the other one. Although I don't ship at all because I really don't give a fuck who he ends up with. At this point in the story he is really boring. Although from what I've read he ends up doing more bad ass shit later on.
>>
>>145806473
I don't agree/ We've gotten a whole show full of inaction, selfishness and poor forethought screwing him over, directly because of his NEET learned habits.

His learned behavior as a NEET has been demonstrated throughout the show. It's not literally the same because he can't spend all day in some room. Some amount of action is forced by desperation, and fueled a bit by the delusion that because he played some games like this, he understands how it works and can "beat the game", which contributes to his arrogant expectation that he should be able to "win" based on the amount of effort he felt he had put into is planning.
>>
File: Neet.jpg (6KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
Neet.jpg
6KB, 251x201px
>>145804004
I can see that it's kinda hard to find the reason why Subaru is doing all the things he is in the show especially for Emilia and I think you're kinda right on this note. On the other hand I haven't had any other problems with other characters motivs. Good example, Rem whom is well explained and written in the series.
>>
>>145806708
Good, I'm tired of seeing the same mental breakdown scene. Also, Rem best animu grill 2027
>>
>>145798778
I wonder if as her elder sister, Ram is aware of Rem's complex towards her, or her need to live her life for someone else. At least, she definitely didn't blame Rem for not losing her horn.
>>
>>145806036
And what are your suggestions for AOTY anon?
>>
>>145804004
I wouldn't say his possessiveness emerged overnight. I would say it was the logical next step beyond two events where he seriously believed he had put three of his lives into saving Emilia or making things better in her dominion, and getting quite a bit of praise and apparent recognition for his actions.

One of two problems is, he has some serious trouble understanding that no one really knows how much he's doing. He seriously over evaluates how much respect and admiration he deserves for his actions, and it's an easy mistake to make given the amount of suffering that goes into it.

This is just conjecture but spoiling in case I'm right, I also highly suspect that his obsession with Emilia is driven more by supernatural forces than his own desires in the first place, so his possessiveness popping up as it did would also fit into that to a degree.
>>
>>145797119
Subaru's characterization isn't deep or even consistent. Rem has lost all personality and is now defined only by her love for Subaru. The plot was directionless for the first half of the show, with no real goals or progression, and now we're stuck on whale Namek.

I don't hate the show, but I can't take anyone seriously (especially on /a/) when they say that it's a masterpiece or that it has brilliant writing. I suspect the only reason it's gotten so popular is because there aren't any other big shows to bandwagon this season.
>>
File: 1469973783085.jpg (452KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469973783085.jpg
452KB, 1920x1080px
>>145797119
I think you should watch Macross Delta before you pass that kind of judgement.
>>
>>145806426
> After the initial story arc when he first arrives his deaths don't have a strong impact anymore
I think not a single death has been without impact so far, mainly because unlike most other timeloop shows who is just skips over 10k loops and said the character got PTSD, the watcher actually perceives every single loop Subaru has been through. I like how it showed that the 'time-loop desensitization' isn't a thing that happens so easily, it's one thing that I like about how Re:Zero depicts Subaru and his downwards mental spiral.
>>
>>145807081
>And what are your suggestions for AOTY anon?
Rakugo, BokuMachi, Tanaka-kun, Flying Witch, Luluco, Relife, Orange, Mob Pyscho, even the goddamn Tales anime are far better than Re:Zero. And we still have many more to come. March Comes in Like a Lion, Flip Flappers, Natsume S5, Haikyuu!! S3 are all guaranteed to be better than Re:Zero.
>>
>>145807353
Macross is in its own niche, I personally don't like mixing idol elements with mecha. If you're going to sing in battle, at least make it elegant instead of Jpop, Ar Tonelico style.
>>
>>145797119
so much wrong with this post. i'll try to keep my reply to bullets

-shut up newfag
-lurk more
-you need to watch a hell of a lot more anime (say another 200 series) before you can have an intellegent enough opinion about it to make a post longer than 10 words
-this is not where you post your blogs
-if your sense of self worth and value and your opinions are so malleable that you need the collective approval of /a/ to justify what you think/feel then you're 5 years too young to post here.
-no one here gives a fuck what you think
>>
>>145806953
>I wonder if as her elder sister, Ram is aware of Rem's complex towards her, or her need to live her life for someone else. At least, she definitely didn't blame Rem for not losing her horn.
Ram is too busy taking 12" long clown dick to care about whatever the fuck is going on in her emo sister's head.
>>
>>145800967
>Konosuba

Re:zero wasn't anywhere near as universally liked as konosuba. In fact it was the comparison to Konosuba that hurt it so badly at the start of it's run.

That said Re:Zero is a completely different genre then Konosuba. And it's also now run x2 as long. It's easily been seen by more people, and thanks to the extra DVDs due to the extra episodes it will end up selling more (though the average sale/volume will be lower).

As for it's current popularity? What can I say? Obviously people like torture porn. They like watching awful MCs get tormented. and they like world class Waifus. So it's not hard to explain why its gotten much more popular during this 3rd arc. Furthermore, the director of the anime made a good choice to cut out whole loops of torture porn from the anime adaption, and even adjust the torture porn to be less horrible. Many of the readers of the books quit the series due to all the torment in this arc, something the anime has blunted much to the benefit of the story.
>>
>>145807472
>say another 200 serires
hoboy
>>
>>145797119
IMO it WAS a solid/high 8/10 with potential to be 9/10 up until the episode that introduced Betelgeuse, but the last few episodes have been pretty bland. The buildup to the White Whale at the end of ep19 was hype as fuck, but ultimately left me disappointedcome ep20 with a whole episode of characters I barely know attacking it and accomplishing nothing. The entire battle really should have been truncated, and I didn't like learning Wilhelm's backstory through heavy-handed flashbacks, whereas every other character so far has been fleshed out via Subaru seeing them in a different light and different situations based on his actions in each timeline.
I as a viewer am only interested in the events of the world by way of Subaru's involvement in them, and he really had nothing to add to the battle other than acting as bait once their forces were scattered, which felt like an afterthought of the author's to make Subaru relevant.
The story of Re:Zero is most effective when the stakes are high and urgent with death around every corner, which although I suppose applies to this battle, but the buildup and drawn-out fight just make the tension fall flat.
>>
>>145801567
>all that autism
>thinking that people posting multiple times in a thread is a bad thing
Because fuck having a conversation, am I right?
>>
>>145807414
>Luluco
Ah fuck I keep forgetting to get around to that, thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>145807472
Shortening your posts to be concise and to-the-point is good and all, but you've reduced it so much that it's just buzzwords and memes that effectively says nothing at all. Rather than wasting the space of a paragraph to say one sentence's worth of meaningful things, you've instead wasted the space of a bulleted list in order to say nothing of value at all.
>>
>>145797119
Well holy shit, a thread for this show that isn't just blind praise, blind hate, false flagging or trolls.

Personally, I really enjoy it, but I can VERY easily see why it's often derided. I think that like you said, it's a character heavy show with the development handled not necessarily more realistically than your typical anime, but maybe in a slightly different direction. A lot of people like to just call Subaru stupid and edgy because yes, he can be both those things, but that's what depressed people act like. It's pretty accurate if you give him an imaginary diagnosis. But like everything else in this show, I PERSONALLY think it's saved by being well executed.
It's cathartic for me for some reason. It won't be for a large amount of people, and most of them will probably hate MC's guts.
I agree that the voice acting and directing is great, but I feel like the art and animation is pretty average, especially with other shows airing this season.
I've never understood the criticism that it feels too repetitive, but I have been playing dark souls so I might not be a good gauge for that.
So basically, it's suspenseful and well executed enough for me that I can look past the stereotypical setting and genre tropes, and also due to personal disposition, MC doesn't piss me off.
>>
>>145798635
It's not hard to understand, he was a NEET that thought everything should go his way because he's such a Nice Guy, so when that doesn't go down he throws a hissy fit

That, combined with the fact that he's been in situations that could easily cause PTSD over and over

I mean if you can't stand it that's fine, but do you honestly want it spoonfed to you even more? They've done everything they can to point it out without explicitly saying it
>>
>>145807291
I can't argue much with your other points, but how is Subaru inconsistent?
>>
>>145804237
Give me a fucking break. Even if you were to argue that this was a decent concept for a story, it's written so awfully. The only thing that was palatable were the characters, and then they stirred the edge into the mix and made them all emo psycho faggots. There is literally nothing to defend in this show. It's about as bad a light novel garbage can get. SAO at least tried to breathe life and meaning into its world, even if it failed. Everyone discussing as if this is some Greek tragedy should kill themselves.
>>
>>145797119
It's pretty fucking corny, but it's an entertaining corny. It's good camp.
>>
>>145808584
So your response to their points is "no lol ur dum"

I agree that it isn't fantastic, but you either haven't seen how trash LN adaptations can get, or you just think you're cool for trying to shut down all discussion

Even Skelter+Heaven and shit can be discussed and analyzed, don't act like by trying to dissect something we're somehow elevating it
>>
>>145802656
Or his character revolves around wanting to have an existance within the world? He wants acknowledgment from others to feel like he truly exists? That's why in episode 7 when he was ranting about what he believed that were accomplishments that can be seen by others was not recognized, he felt useless that timeline and until he remembered the hand-holding, he felt that he like he had worth and killed himself for himself. Not truly for others. That doesn't really mean he is entirely bad, all he wants to be is acknowledged by people. Like the kids in the village (although, I'm surprised he did not kill himself for the massacre. That just proves that dead bodies are unable to acknowledge anything and Subaru just kept walking). He feels earnest when it feels like to him, he matters. But that very way of thinking can develop into vanity like in episodes 12-13. He got way in over his head with his own pride with wanting attention. It was his own fault for being clouded by his emotions and pride before and after that blinds him from making good decisions or doing nothing (he only wanted to feel sympathy at that moment, until Betelgeuse revealed the truth that Subaru was faking his madness). In episode 16, he was putting his pride into revenge at that point for his own problems that he let happen. He was too blinded by such pride that he was not able to succeed in anything. Thinking he can achieve all on his own is essentially his downfall. It became more apparent that he did not kill himself for Rem but valued his life moreso than hers. He repeats the words said to Emilia while being stuck in his own emotions that are directed towards himself. Stuck in the past, he repeats trying to tell Emilia about return by death and kills her accidentally. Killing his own symbol of pride. The one that he felt gave the meaning for his existance in the world. And we know what happens and Subaru truly feels worthless as no one expects anything from him.
>>
>>145802656
Motivations:
> Crusch: Remove the covenant that essentially creates terrible politics that revolve around sucking a lizard's dick.
> Wilhelm: Essentially avenge his beloved. What happens to him afterwards is real interesting involving him hating his own son and grandson.
> Rosewaal: To achieve his goals. He will allow anything to occur no matter how vile or immoral it is.
> Anastasia: Gain the benefits of having a kingdom while being pragmatic.
> Felt: Majority of her words are empty threats if anyone has ever noticed her.
> Beatrice: She awaits until the day she can release herself from her realm under the promise she kept.
> Emilia: Equality my ass, she wants to fix the crap that occurred because of her while the people that are long gone nevertheless loved her.
> Rem: atonement. Self-worth
> Subaru: Wanting to bring himself higher from how people see him.
> Priscilla: Everything will be in her favor. Gifted and spoiled by lady luck.
> Ram: QUEERCLOWNDICK.
> Ferris: Support Crusche but is essentially a hypocrite.
> Betelgeuse: A man that lives on the principles of love and diligence towards his goals. His own words and sin is essentially hypocritical and directed towards himself.
>>
File: 1441471250182.jpg (141KB, 601x583px) Image search: [Google]
1441471250182.jpg
141KB, 601x583px
>>145809281
>Ram: QUEERCLOWNDICK.
Nice.
>>
>>145809422
Somewhere down the line Roswaal will body-hijack her, right? Or did arc 4 resolve that?
>>
File: 1471158044467.jpg (14KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
1471158044467.jpg
14KB, 228x228px
>>145809281
> Ram: QUEERCLOWNDICK.
>>
>>145809577
It's what we all want in life
>>
>>145800092
>Compulsory education ends after middle school.
Well then, his concerns about becoming a delinquent is further evidence that he isn't a shut-in.

>>145807752
I think the popularity of Konosuba is one of the main reasons they decided to add the scene where he says he's a shut-in. They wanted to cash in on the prior success. And now everyone pretty much everywhere just takes that at face value. They made him more self-insert for the NEETs in the anime version and I think it backfired horribly.
>>
File: TL;DR.jpg (49KB, 391x478px) Image search: [Google]
TL;DR.jpg
49KB, 391x478px
>>145797119
tl;dr
>>
File: 1471231024611.jpg (19KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
1471231024611.jpg
19KB, 258x196px
>>145809534
He'll body-hijack her with 10 inch queerclowndick
>>
>>145809281
>Rem: atonement. Self-worth. Get Subaru's D in her.

FTFY
>>
File: Free Ram dot com.jpg (108KB, 954x534px) Image search: [Google]
Free Ram dot com.jpg
108KB, 954x534px
>>145809422
>>
File: artsyfartsy.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
artsyfartsy.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>145797119
This part was pretty cool. I can appreciate how some of the best directing moments come about through the worst timelines, since it only adds to how dire Subaru's life is and how tragic it is for him to witness all of his friends die again before he gets offed himself.
>>
File: 1471231884267.png (111KB, 300x333px) Image search: [Google]
1471231884267.png
111KB, 300x333px
>>145809904
>I just now realized that this was when puck went mad
>mfw the writers dickteased us
>>
Holy shit, most of vagueness that people are complaining here could be resolved by just reading the first volume of the LN that just came out.

You know, anime adaptations are just the surface, makes me laugh for people treating like a final version or something.
>>
>>145810280
I think Re:Zero is decent so I want to agree with you, but this is a fucking stupid point

It's its own work, it can and should be judged for what it is.
>>
>>145810448
To echo this, whoever's directing the animation ought to take advantage of the medium as best as they can. Some manga take several panels to explain the emotions running through a character, but any animator worth his salt can express these emotions without having to spell out everything via some train of thought.
>>
>>145810448
It's a audiovisual representation of a literature/writed work, like most adaptations, this argument would make sense if deviated from the original work but that's not the case since it's a faithful adaptation.
It's like pretending that the transition between the two mediums doesn't exist.
>>
My problem with Re:Zero is that as it has continued, the plot has been all over the place to the point where I can no longer tell where the story is going and where it has been before.

I went back and watched the first couple of episodes and the whole thing just seems disjointed as fuck.

I have no idea where we are in time. Why the fuck is this Moby Dick nonsense happening? What happened to everyone getting murdered at the mansion? Is that still to come on the timeline?
>>
>>145810553
There's no virtue in making an extraordinarily faithful adaption if it comes at the expense of making effective use of the secondary medium. Either make a complete anime or don't make one.
>>
>>145797119
Emilia is shit.
>>
>>145810864
Things doesn't work that way anon, doesn't exist an unwritten rule for that, even from a business perspective, they have sucessfully grasped worldwide interest in this work by doing an incomplete work.
And majority of the anime industry is made by adaptations.
I prefer faithful and incomplete work than a bad original one that would stain the reputation of the work for a long time.
>>
>>145810974
/thread. Who the fuck genuinely still shipped the two after Rem did what she did with Subaru?
>>
File: 1453861073743.jpg (40KB, 329x344px) Image search: [Google]
1453861073743.jpg
40KB, 329x344px
>>145810280
>>145810553
You can't say "Hey, this anime is good, you just have to read the light novel in order to fill in all the holes the anime missed" unless the light novel and the anime have been expressed designed to interconnect like that. Like so many times before, this is simply a case of the book being better than the show.
>>
File: Subaru likes the witch.jpg (10KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru likes the witch.jpg
10KB, 300x220px
>>145797119
>>
>>145811185
WHO IS THIS CHARACTER ANON??? Please write me soon, my friend. *tips fedora*
>>
File: 1454596812288.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1454596812288.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>
>>145811281
Who is the character in this anon's post?
>>145811185
>>
>>145811185
like I said, thinking like this is ignoring all the influence a writed work has on an audivisual one, the anime is a partial reflection of the novel, this is a fact, you can't just say that the anime is all the story has to offer.
you don't need to read if you want, but if you want to know more about the story, you can't just ignore the novel and stick with the anime.
>>
>>145797119
The anime is so fucking bad. The only ok things are the art and the music. MC is cringy, dumb, irrespectful. Other characters are blank and generic. Dropped the show at ep 12 as it was too painful for me. Dunno how this shit is so highly rated.
>>
>>145811312
On the flipside, I do believe any portrayal of a story needs to be able to stand on its own, or at the very least demonstrate what's required of the story so that a general audience can still enjoy the series. Look at what's happened to book series like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, where the movies stand on their own and don't ask the viewer to read the books in order to understand what's going on. You could get more information from reading the books, as they're a much more flexible format in terms of length and vocabulary, but all of those details cannot be expected to fit into a format where time is money and there are limits to how long an episode can be. People left with questions might be an oversight on the studio responsible for the anime adaptation of Re:Zero, but ideally the most important questions are the ones which get answered in whatever form the story is told in.
>>
>>145802378

>>145802525

Fucking this.
>>
The show is entertaining but nothing special.
>>
Agreed. Individual works are individual works unless there's some weird exception where it says "hey reed tha ln 4 dis part lol," or if it's a sequel to something that isn't adapted or something, which aren't the case here

I'm curious if this anon thinks it works the other way, in that you can't judge a ln or manga without seeing the adaptation, since apparently both are needed for the full work
>>
File: 1140.jpg (87KB, 736x718px) Image search: [Google]
1140.jpg
87KB, 736x718px
>Every loop feels like it matters
It really doesn't, It's basically let me loop until I've figured the situation out.
>>
>>145811589
I didn't read Harry Potter so I can't reference that, but the lack of information or the "vagueness" is because like you said, can't fit everything in and that can't be helped at all, you have to make sacrifices, I don't know what sacrifices Harry Potter did but in anime industry we have good adaptations that did important ones, like with Steins;Gate, all the plot involving Nae, it was not because they didn't do enough or didn't play logistics, but because they had to fit and make it natural in a very limited time and resources, since in the anime industry companies don't put all their eggs in one basket.
The "vagueness" is because it lacks content or because the nature of visual media being more subjective than a written one, so the novel could help you clear that out.
so what you propose is just an ideal (and I disagree with it) that many works won't archieve, and they will continue to make 'incomplete' adaptations for many reasons.
>>
>>145807357
I guess I just really lack any empathy for Subaru. If I figured out I had his power, I would not give a flying fuck about death. Still would be a pussy regarding pain but I definitely wouldn't fear death. Sometimes he seems to be okay with it when he committed suicide but others he still has his freak out about not wanting to die. I just also don't get him losing his shit over doing stuff for Emilia and her not recognizing it. Of course she doesn't, however he doesn't even try to word shit around the Return by Death to at least give them a hint. He's been completely illogical. Maybe that's the point of the character though.
>>
>>145809857
OP doesn't understand why people don't like it. He thinks it's great. Hears people criticizing it because they think it's too much like other animes.

tl;dr, tl;dr OP is confused people don't like his favorite anime

tl;dr, tl;dr, tl;dr OP is a faggot
>>
>>145797119
I stopped watching this at around episode 4 or 5. It pissed me off about half as much as endless eight did. I'm assuming it gets better?
>>
File: 143333.jpg (12KB, 323x156px) Image search: [Google]
143333.jpg
12KB, 323x156px
Superior gorilla?
>>
>>145809904
Under appreciated scene. I hope somehow the anime ends like that. Subaru is suffering.
>>
>>145812065
It's been a while since I've watched Steins;Gate, and perhaps I'll have to revisit it and look into the LN as well, but I don't see the anime adaptation as incomplete. The directing the anime took, as well as what stories they told from the cast, were more than enough to tell a great story. I understand how easy it is to be upset that a character could be so wholly ignored from one medium to another, but the absence of Nae's route from the anime does not hinder the package as a whole. I disagree with you on what it means for an anime adaptation to be complete, as I am willing to concede the same bits of story which anime directors also omit due to time constraints as well as streamlining the process for the new format. It's a practice that's been around since film adaptations began, and even though it is harder to transition between two different mediums rather than stick to one, I don't think it's impossible to complete a full enough package which will leave the consumer happy.
>>
>>145811886
yeah, he even kills himself one time by diving from a fucking cliff kek
>>
>>145805217
same here bud. Its a nice show. Feedback is average.
>>
>>145812094
>I would not give a flying fuck about death.
Fool, there's no guarantee you will always revive. What if this is your last life?
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.