[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Lucky Star remembered less fondly than K-On? Is it because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: LuckyStarAtChristmas.jpg (696KB, 2173x1429px) Image search: [Google]
LuckyStarAtChristmas.jpg
696KB, 2173x1429px
Why is Lucky Star remembered less fondly than K-On? Is it because it aged poorly?
>>
Pretty much. A large chunk of the humor in Lucky Star is based on references to anime that aren't as relevant today. It also doesn't help that the artstyle is pretty extreme and almost looks like a caricature of moe.
>>
Breh i watched this 6-7 years ago on youtube dubbed. This shit did not age well.
>>
I didn't understand a lot of the references. I was just there for the cute.
>>
It's poor man's Hidamari Sketch that relies on Haruhi and only Haruhi references for humor.
>>
It definitely aged like milk. K-On and Nichijou are the perfected versions.
>>
LS wasn't hailed as much as K-on! even in its own day. The humour is extremely dry, and a lot of it sounds like meaningless fluff if the satire doesn't resonate for you.
>>
I want to cum on Tsukasa's feet.
>>
>>145786846
I think it aged fine
>>
Oh yeah, Lucky Star used to be a big deal, huh? Totally forgot about that.
>>
File: luckystar.webm (3MB, 533x300px) Image search: [Google]
luckystar.webm
3MB, 533x300px
It had its moments.
>>
>>145786846
Nothing
Just too old
>>
>>145786846
It was really cute but not as funny as azumanga daioh before it or hidamari sketch, nichijou, and other cute/funny 4panels that came after it.

I remember it more fondly than K-On but I didn't really like K-On so I'm probably in the minority.
>>
>>145787285
Nichijou's "Episode 0" ruined it for me.
>>
It doesn't help that it's almost impossible to discuss LS on /a/ so you're unlikely to hear much about it either way.
>>
>>145786846
Probably because its humor gets overshadowed by other popular franchises from the same segment i.e. azumanga, nichijou.
References aren't that easy to understand and some jokes will pass right through you if your medium/cultural knowledge is low.

K-ON! on the other hand is pretty carefree, making it easy for a wive variety of people to enjoy.

Now if you mean
>on /a/
I suggest you lurk moar.
>>
>>145788360
*wide
>>
>>145786846
Personally I've always liked Lucky Star more than K-on. It did age pretty poorly and most newer anime fans probably haven't even seen it.
>>
Lucky star takes a special place in my heart but most of it charm are the references they make and they get old. K-on on the other hand is complete by it's own and nothing gets old there. And also K-on has a more appealing art-style.
>>
>>145787142
>only Haruhi references
The only way you could think that is if your powerlevel is so low that Haruhi is the only anime you've seen out of the ones the referenced.

>It's poor man's Hidamari Sketch
They're not similar at all aside from having cute girls
>>
Art is pretty bad and it was nothing more as another way to promote Haruhi (anime had several references to it).
>>
>>145788753
Bullshit. Name one Haruhi reference.
>>
>>145786846
Otaku's humor
>>
Lucky Star is almost impressive in its insistence on jokes not needing punchlines. Most of its conversations don't result in clear setups and endings; they just continue for a while and then end, or the show cuts to an unrelated scene at some undefined later point. Watching Lucky Star often feels like being trapped in an elevator as a group of strangers have a bland conversation around you - you can completely understand what they're talking about, but you already know this conversation is going nowhere, and you really just want your floor to arrive.
>>
File: Hiiragi.Kagami.full.1071376.jpg (46KB, 595x841px) Image search: [Google]
Hiiragi.Kagami.full.1071376.jpg
46KB, 595x841px
Newfags can't understand the references and can't keep up with the banter.
>>
>>145788890
Why is Kagami so perfect?
>>
>>145786846
It's just not as good really. I mean, I like LS, but K-on! has just so much more going for it.
>>
>>145788802
There is a shit ton of them. I.E the cafe where Konata works cannot be considered a reference anymore, it's just making fun of Haruhi and the hype which it has gathered.

But lucky star referenced the whole gaming/anime industry. The whole Haruhi promotion thing is just because they could.
>>
>>145788802
There's a bunch, you dweeb. Konata's ringtone is hare hare yukai.
Doesn't matter, though.
>>
File: 1469724273904-a.jpg (199KB, 553x700px) Image search: [Google]
1469724273904-a.jpg
199KB, 553x700px
>>145788890
It's not an entry level show by any means. I think K-On is easier to get into when you compare the two and it has better animation. LS is one of my favorites though.
>>
>>145789000
To name at least a single reference is just begging to tell about all of them.
>>
>>145788985
>>145789000
Pretty sure that was just bait.
>>
Why to people always go to the references when talking about LS? It's not as if the show was just a bunch of references all of the time. It had a lot of normal comedy-SoL and that was really what it did best.
>>
>>145788985
It also has the dude from amagi as a stuffed animal, Latifah's uncle.
>>
>>145789092
It's just that it's main trait. The whole point is just to circle around the meta of anime/gaming of that time.
>>
My most favorite aspect of Lucky Star was a capecuck writer saying it was his most favorite anime of all time because it "never relied on sexualization or sexual jokes" just so the very next week you had the mandatory group shower scene.
>>
File: 1459669479170.gif (977KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1459669479170.gif
977KB, 500x281px
>>145789092
Well yeah, but newfags generally don't appreciate something like well-written character interactions either. Kagami's and Konata's back and forth was extremely entertaining, and Tsukasa was a helpless moeblob, but she had her own very distinct personality that made you want to protect her.

There's also a lot of little things that made Lucky Star a masterpiece, such as Shiraishi's EDs and Lucky Channel.
>>
>>145789187
There are actually a lot of them if you think about it. The same with Hidamari Sketch and many others, too tired to remember them but there were around a dozen.
>>
>>145789260
Also we have to thank LS for the billions of YTP.
>>
File: 301.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
301.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>Lucky Star
>Age

Referential humor and parodies don't age. What age are the fans, or rather, newshits like some of you in this thread won't get the humor because you haven't watched the older shows Lucky Star parodies. So if anything, not liking Lucky Star is proof that you're a bunch of fucking underage retards.
>>
BUY HARUHI DVDS
>>
>>145789262
That wasn't anything but VIRTUE SIGNALING really (I ONLY LIKE ANIME THAT DOESN'T OBJECTIFY WOMEN, AM I A NICE GUY YET?), but it was just too funny how it blew in the guy's face in no time
>>
>>145789181
>main
Perhaps most discerning trait, but it was not really anything I'd call main. Most of the time its jokes were about really mundane stuff, and even when anime/gaming culture was used it was often just as a facet of the characters' day to day, with references to other media being in the background, when they were there at all. The thing is that when the references took the foreground it really stood out, but when you look at it from an unbiased perspective they constitute a really small part of Lucky Star.
>>
>>145789441
Fuck being a nice guy, everybody can enjoy some uncensored to love-ru. It's just that it's nice to see some female characters without being forced to watch useless fanservice all the time.
>>
>>145787877
Man. This hurts.
>>
>>145789487
Good point. If I think about the main trait is that the characters meta is made that way that there will always be something to talk about.
>>
Lucky Star thread?

>inb4
>>
>>145789726
Hold your horses, we're still talking here.
>>
>>145789358
Not really. There were plenty of people who hated Lucky Star when it was airing.
>>
File: 1469726358057-a.jpg (99KB, 513x650px) Image search: [Google]
1469726358057-a.jpg
99KB, 513x650px
>>145789726
>>
I feel like they did a great job building the charactors though. Its pretty relatable and I personally appreciate the dry humour. It definitely shows its age but I will always have fond memories of the first time I saw it and how it made me feel.
>>
>>145789726
>>145789985
it keeps happening
>>
>>145789795
We can't escape it. It's bound to happen.
Every thread.
f̸̪̳̞̖̱͂͛͆͐̈͗̑̉́o̢̼̺̥͚͛̑ͫ̎ͣ̓̌ͯ͠r̷̞̲ͯ̄̔̂͋ͨͫ̃e̶̼͔̱̠̪̝̲ͭͤ̓v̡̫͈̤̖̟͈̐͐̏̚͡ẽ̾̈́̑ͧ̊̀͟҉̺̯̠̝̻͉͈̙ͅŗ̸̬͉͙̤̬̞̖̯ͯ̐ͅ
>>
>>145789358
>Referential humor and parodies don't age.
How adorably naive for such a cynical bullshit perspective.
>>
File: blog.png (8KB, 238x82px) Image search: [Google]
blog.png
8KB, 238x82px
>>145789726
It just occurred to me that I honestly can't remember what was the last time I saw a (significant) LS thread without either spookykasa, deer.gif or the lonely kagamin comic getting spammed.

You don't see haters like these anymore. This was true commitment. 2007+9 and still shitposting. I salute you, lads.
>>
>>145790367
In the future, you should write it naïve when shitposting. Or naïveté if you really want to get their blood boiling
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.