[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STOP PUTTING CGI IN ANIME IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: CG-Captain.jpg (28KB, 400x247px) Image search: [Google]
CG-Captain.jpg
28KB, 400x247px
STOP PUTTING CGI IN ANIME IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT, STUPID JAPS!
>>
>>145581388
But if they stop now, how will they learn how to do it well?
>>
>>145581456
>Japanese
>Learning from their mistakes
You give them too much credit.
>>
>>145581456
JUST DON'T USE IT UNTIL YOU ARE GOOD, DUMB FUCK.
>>
>>145581456
Dumbass Japs will never learn.
>>
>>145581388
he looks lego-ish
>>
why is there a need to have CGI in anime to begin with? they should just not use it, ever.
>>
They can make decent CGI. But the effort and skill it takes means you only get good results from shorts.

>>145581738
it takes another manual labor step out of the production process. humans are running costs, hardware only has to be bought once every few years. it's a cost-saving measure. get about the same amount of work done with less labor.
>>
>>145581727
lmao
>>
>>145581844
>it takes another manual labor step out of the production process. humans are running costs, hardware only has to be bought once every few years. it's a cost-saving measure. get about the same amount of work done with less labor.
Sorry but no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9OA57CXkI
>>
>>145581581
>>145581629
Rude, delete these posts now
>>
>>145582231
>youtube expert
>muh framerate
>interpolated motion
>cites RWBY as good example
>AoT CG being good
>implying background CG is something noteworthy and outstanding
Too many wrong things to refute in a single post.
>>
>>145583017
>implying the low framerate doesn't fucking stupid.
>>
>>145583798
doesn't look*
>>
>>145583798
It works for traditional animation. there is no law that dictates it cannot work for 3d. just a matter of right technique.

GG Xrd makes it work with model adjustments for example, which is at odds with motion interpolation
>>
>>145583798
If framerate is all you care about and style doesn't matter to you you should just migrate to /co/ and watch pixar films.
>>
>>145584411
>It works for traditional animation.
No it doesn't.
>Implying GG Xrd runs at 24 fps
Holy fuck you are stupid.
>>
>>145584742
>No it doesn't.
so you're saying all anime looks like shit? what are you even doing here?
>>
File: IMG_1377.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1377.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
You'll watch it anyways
>>
>>145581388
Is this Lelzerk?
>>
>>145584937
No, not really. I wanted to watch berserk, but then I saw the first screenshots and preemptively dropped it.
>>
>>145581388
>>145581456
I Honestly don't see the point of using 3D at all. 3D can be avoided in most cases.
The use of 3D isn't a budget constraint issue, 3D is only cheaper in certain very specific cases.
Usually these are the kind of shots with lots of camera movements because the perspective keeps changing and you need lots of frames if you don't want it to look jarring.
But anime doesn't need those kind of scenes in the first place. You can create interesting scenes with just good editing, smart use of parallax, scaling, composition, ect...

tl;dr you don't need things to move quickly and all over the place to create interesting scenes. It just shows the inexperience of the director and staff.

3D might be cheaper for things like mechs but certainly not when it comes to organic things.
I highly doubt it was cheaper to use 3D character models instead of 2D in Knights of Sidonia.
>>
>>145584742
Xrd's animations are 24 fps.
>>
>>145586018
CG saves you effort if you're recycling scenes and characters. school club + school uniform

CG kills you have you're constantly changing outdoor settings and your characters are switching outfits faster than a catwalk model or you have tons of one-off characters.
>>
>>145586254
>CG saves you effort if you're recycling scenes and characters. school club + school uniform
2D animation is recycled all the time as well. The only advantage 3D brings in that is that it can be reused at a different angle.
But I doubt it makes up for it, making all those models and creating a good rig for them that animators can use takes time. More time than you might realize.

Sure we might complain about recycled 2d animation sometimes, but it's still less of an eyesore than 3d.
>>
>>145586110
No, they are not.
>>
>>145581388
The interesting part is they actually know.
Ever since the 90 their had some of the best CGI sequences in the world, when it came to games.
Just for some god for saken reason they cannot even come close to doing the same in anime.
>>
File: 1470714635022.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470714635022.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
They just need to stop trying to make an "anime artstyle" with 3D.
The fact of the matter is the average anime face (flat, no nose or very miniscule nose and generally very tiny mouth and large eyes) looks fine in 2D but on a 3D model it just looks outright bad, especially when there are no extra features like pores or hell even fucking gloss.

You also really can't get away with flip flopping mouths in 3D.
>>
>>145584692

that is x100 times far more worse and generic than any battle harem japan ever and will produce so no thanks
>>
>>145584411
To be honest, Xrd looks great when it's in 2.5D mode but as soon as you open up the story mode it sorta runs into the same problems as 3D anime does.
>>
>>145587043
>hating pixar movies
le hipster otacool.
>>
File: -.png (554KB, 767x429px) Image search: [Google]
-.png
554KB, 767x429px
>waaahhh stop putting cg in my anime
>waaaahhh it looks bad now so obviously it will always look bad
>waaaaahhhhh stop trying new things

Yeah, it looks like shit now, but the exact same thing could be said about digital coloring looking flat and dull in the early 2000s. Experimentation is a good thing, because it leads to new techniques and variation. 3d animation could very well help to progress 2d animation. Hell, look at the latest Mob episode with the cg rocks in that cut with Teru punching Mob. They looked fantastic, they served to add depth to the sequence perfectly. There's so many ways to make 3d work, but it takes time to figure them out. Just because there's shit that looks bad doesn't mean 3dcg is harming the animation industry.
>>
I'm hoping CG will decrease the workloads while increasing quality eventually. That way there aren't as many wageslaves scribbling away 20 hour days to animate things as there still are now.
>>
>>145586018
you can also just use 3d movement as reference and draw the frames accordoingly to that
also i agree on mecha stuff, that i dont mind
hopefully tthe new berserk anime killed any future cg might have with all the hate its getting
>>
>>145587069
Yeah, most of the tweaking went into that of course. I'm just saying the technology exists. That doesn't mean it's already streamlined enough to churn out an anime episode on a weekly basis.
>>
File: iona.png (3MB, 1414x1686px) Image search: [Google]
iona.png
3MB, 1414x1686px
>>145587043
then you should stop whining and be glad that japan isn't just aping pixar.
>>
>>145588505
well pixar was doing way better job in cg 15 years ago
it really makes me think why does cg sucks so much there, i would say time and budget but the cg in anime films were also atrocious
>>
File: shot0015_2.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
shot0015_2.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
>>145581388
One of the few well done CG in anime. Basically IG overall does pretty good cg
>>
>>145589086
Anime films still have a lower budget than pixar films.

And they're generally not trying to achieve anything approaching photorealism (ignore harlock or fireball for a moment) and aim for stylized art instead.

While this is not impossible to achieve it places different demands on the software which simply isn't supported as well or maybe the expertise doesn't exist. Take disney's paperman for example, they used specialized vector animation software for that makes Live2D still look like poor knockoff.

So blending 2d and 3d styles still not a settled science, let alone a mature industry.

>>145589698
But it does not represent today's challenges. CG backgrounds and static objects are a solved problem, more or less. Characters and vehicle motion are still iffy.
>>
>>145581388
That is some PS2 shit right there.
>>
>>145589698
Innocence doesnt have a lot of static backgrounds. In fact the only thing traditionally animated is the characters...
>>
https://youtu.be/vghPUVsdSjY?t=53s

Juri thread
>>
File: CIWuOFs.jpg (115KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
CIWuOFs.jpg
115KB, 1366x768px
>>145581388
Nobunaga Concerto was pretty good and the CGI was nicely stylized.
>>
>>145591498
ment to reply to >>145591356
>>
Why is Square literally the only Japanese company that knows how to do good CG? Why don't Japan and Korea, two of the 3 most advanced countries of all-time, have CG as good as the US, the third most advanced country?
>>
>>145591686
the dress looks too pearly.
the saber looks like a plastic toy.
the ponytail looks like a slug is attached to her head
>>
>>145591743
they got a thousand yard stare
>>
>>145581388
Bubuki Buranki looks alright. But I guess they've been doing that kind of stuff for 10 years now.
>>
>>145586110
Game is running at 60FPS,
>>
>>145591949
>Japan and Korea, two of the 3 most advanced countries of all-time
Why is this myth still being perpetuated? When were they ever the most advanced technologically?
>>
File: sniZjSV.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sniZjSV.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>145581388
When they do it well its pretty cool.
>>
>>145592903
GPU frames != animation frames, retard.
>>
>>145593314
Korea actually fell, but Japan is #2.
http://worldknowing.com/top-10-most-advanced-technology-countries-in-the-world/
>>
What if ufotable adapted Berserk (2016)?
>>
>>145594286
The nation of japan is not technologically advanced. In fact, technologically they're a solid decade behind the western world. What their leading scientists are doing doesn't affect the consumer level, which still uses fucking fax machines and flip phones. Most japanese companies don't animate with industry standard hardware (and possibly software but I'm not sure about that), so to say that they should be animating as well as the west because "they're technologically advanced" is kind of silly.
>>
>>145594658
Japanese flip phones are smart phones, and even then that form factor is no longer as popular now.

I'm not sure about standard hardware either, but animation software is pretty standardized across the industry. Retas Pro and Adobe After Effects are the norm for digital composite.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.