[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Re:Zero actually good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: re-zero-mv.jpg (66KB, 550x496px) Image search: [Google]
re-zero-mv.jpg
66KB, 550x496px
Is this show good? Is it the next evangelion or is it another erased?

Also, when you claim that it is good or bad, make examples or bring reasons why it is so.

I just want to know if it is good or bad, and what flaws does it have. I dont want to hear blind praise or just hate.
>>
It's really bad no joke.
>>
>>145533999
I love the suffering because it felt so real and you could really empathize with Subaru. But it also has a really stupid cycle of "Motivation > Failure > Depression" that has gone around a few times now. I'd rather see a slow, long spiral into insanity. Really mixed feelings, but I think it will at least succeed in being remembered for a while.
>>
>>145533999
>>145534444
>>145534300
Those are good numbers.
>>
>>145533999
>>145534300
>>145534444
triple x rated
>>
>next evangelion

Is this a fucking joke or are casual weebs this dumb?
>>
The writing is great
>Ok tell us why you should be ruler
>because I'm a greedy girl and I want everything!!!
>>
>>145533999
>Light novel
>isekai
>time resets
Each element on it's own creates trash. Re:zero has all 3 of them.
>>
>>145534987
>One of my "friends" said that evangelion is absolute shit and that Re:Zero is better because it has better animation.
>He has never seen Evangelion.
>He unironically thinks that all anime that is older than 2006 is 100% shit.
>He thinks that now are the best years in anime history.
>and he claims that he has better taste than me (I like Eva, berserk, lotgh and other old stuff)
Yes, casuals that are this retarded exist.
>>
>>145535298
>Haruhi
>Log horizon
>Steins gate

The only good things I come out of these things you mentioned.
>>
Re:zero is edgy garbage that is liked by the same people who claim that elfen lied is good because it is deep.
>>
Erased was way better.
>>
>>145535858
A lot stronger counter example would be
>NHK
>nothing at all
>Tatami Galaxy
>>
>>145536454
>isekai
>nothing at all
NGNL was entertaining and quite good desu.
inb4 reddit
>>
>>145533999
>>145534300
>>145534444
wew
>>
>>145533999
Re:zero is the current sao. It is popular and the fandom is split over it now. Once it ends, plebs will still love it, while people who have even an little bit of critical thinking will hate it.
>>
File: 1395585911192.png (440KB, 472x530px) Image search: [Google]
1395585911192.png
440KB, 472x530px
It's decent and entertaining, I'd say strong 6/light 7, but gets praised by dumb casuals and teens because there's suffering and baby first "depressed" main character for teens to self insert to.
>>
>>145533999
Nice trips

Another erased. Starts off great, cuckoldey ensues.
>>
>>145538841
Sao was always shit but had an interesting premise. Re zero was legitimately good for a while,
>>
>>145533999
It's ok, but nothing mindblowing.
>>
>>145540159
When did it stop being good?
>>
>>145533999
the worldbuilding is good, the side characters are good, the main character and the girl he's obsessed with are bad, bad to the point where it's obnoxious enough to overwhelm the good aspects
the story would seriously be a lot better if subaru didn't exist and emilia didn't matter
>>
>>145533999
It's both good and bad. It has dumb bad stuff, obviously, but it also has good stuff. The good parts are good and the bad parts are bad.

>is it the next evangelion
No.

>or is it another erased?
No.

It has engaging characterization and plot, and it's a total roller coaster ride. It's also packed to the gills with cliche, fan service, awkward pacing, etc.
>>
>>145534444
>>145534300
>>145533999
in 00 years erased will be forgotten
in 999 years evangelion will be forgotten
in 4444 years people will still be watching Re:Zero
>>
I watched the first episode and it was absolutely a generic isekai LN.

Go read LNs and you'll find 100 exactly the same and that's only the translated ones.
>>
It's incredibly boring.
MC is a complete retard who is falling into the "I'm in another world so I'm special!" trap except he's not taking advantage of the ways he's actually special.
He's literally a nobody talking to the highest social echelons in that world and he still thinks anything he says means anything at all.

Would be better if mc was intelligent and it was more a mystery/thriller with him taking advantage of his revives to gather information to pass on to people who can actually do shit.
>>
>>145545909
You're suggesting it would be better if they got rid of the only element which makes it distinct from other similar shows.
>>
>>145545799
>reading
>>
>>145545985
No, anon.
If I was suggesting "He takes advantage of his revives to become the best swordsman and mage alive", I would be suggesting it become like everything else.
I'm literally advocating for it to turn into a pseudo-detective novel. That sure sounds like every other light novel, right?
>>
>>145545909
I think the point of the show is crating the contrast between people that actually do shit (pretty much everyone) and Subaru who just throws his body around acting like he's top shit.
I don't know if I'd say it's really good or not, but I do enjoy how it slowly shows you that the MC is not the good guy. While he goes through waves of suffering and confidence, you just watch him leech off other people, feed off their attention, but still acts like a nice person until things start going bad for him. I think it's really good in that respect - that the more you watch, the more you realize Subaru is the one doing the most damage to the people around him
>>
>>145546052
Yes? The only thing which makes the show interesting is that he doesn't WANT to use his ability because his using it has greatly amplified his character flaws to the point where he's all fucked up.
>>
>>145546236
What character flaws?
His entire character is flawed.
There is literally nothing good about his character.
Subaru has no redeeming character traits to balance out his flaws. That's why he's bad and even generic gary stu #1921 would be more entertaining.
>>
>>145546359
Of course he has positive character traits.

>loyalty
>self-sacrifice
>great fashion sense

etc.
>>
>>145546359
He likes helping people.
Is willing to sacrifice a lot to do it.
Has a fun personality and decent banter.
>>
>>145546446
>loyalty
More like shitty obsession for muh waifu
>self-sacrifice
Self sacrifice when your deaths aren't permanent so nothing really has any consequences at all.
>Fashion sense
lol
>>
File: AKuXoH1.png (843KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AKuXoH1.png
843KB, 1920x1080px
>>145546359
I think his redeeming trait is that he has a stupid amount of perseverance. In the last few episodes he needed someone to support him, and Rem did that. In episode 18 and the ones leading up to it he realized how utterly useless of a human he has been. In the entire show he only ever did anything right twice.
The weakest thing about this series is the pacing. The real character development with Subaru doesn't happen until this point
>>
>>145546535
obsession doesn't mean he isn't loyal
in both of the arcs coming up to this he put himself in harms way a bunch of times in the timelines where he doesn't die
>>
I liken it to Index. It's not a good show but it's still fun to watch.
>>
>>145546660
Subaru is shit because any random anon would be getting far more done that he is.
Watching re:zero is like watching a let's play of an incredibly shitty player.
I don't even want to self insert subaru is that bad.
>>
>>145546535
>implying he's loyal to only his waifu
>implying he has nothing to lose but his life
>implying his one tracksuit outfit isn't fly as fuck
>>
>>145535772
I was following you until you mouthed off random anime; somehow implying that taste isn't subjective. Just because you like Berserk doesn't mean you have good taste. I love Berserk but I could come up with many flaws for it.

Also just kill your friend the you won't have to deal with him.
>>
>>145546792
then the author did his job right
>>
>>145533999
You made an honest mistake anon. To be honest it's pretty standard until the second arc, which starts on episode 4. However the first 2 arcs are just prologues of what's to come, the true meat of the story is in arc 3. This is where shit escalates. Many people dislike the beginning because of how real and scummy Subaru was becoming. Episode 15 was where it met the hallmark of success, episode 18 further strengthens that and the next few episodes definitely make it worth watching.
>>
>>145547054
Oh yeah, the mistake was you came here for recommendations.
>>
>>145534987
No its bait posting reaching its logical conclusion
>>
>>145546535
>More like shitty obsession for muh waifu
He's not just loyal to Emilia, he also goes out of his way to help Rem, Ram, and the children of the village, putting his life on the line several times in the process.

>Self sacrifice when your deaths aren't permanent so nothing really has any consequences at all.
The whole point is that his deaths still do have consequences. The show always makes sure to depict how painful and horrifying his deaths are, and how much they subsequently affect his psyche. This is the whole reason they had that scene where he talks about how terrible death is, and how dying is the last thing in the world that he wants. His fear of death is greater than the average person's despite the fact that he'll come back because he knows how awful it really is, because it's a concrete reality for him, a specter constantly haunting him. Knowing this and still pressing onward in an attempt to save everybody despite that fear, and despite the huge odds stacked against him, makes him heroic. And the fact that he eventually falters, doubts himself, doesn't think he has the strength to carry on and tries to run, only to be picked back up by Rem, dust himself off, and redouble his efforts, makes him human.

But yeah, if you can't buy into the idea of his death having consequences then it would make sense to not like his character.
>>
>>145543295
Subaru is the only one with characterization despite him being a retard.

Rem is characterless waifu bait and everyone else is standard NPC archetype.
>>
>>145543295
>good characters
The few characters who have any personality at all are entirely one-note. Rem is loyal, the old guy is stern, felt doesn't like rich people, Roswal is gay.

>good world building
So there's this evil witch... Also elections to be queen... All you need is this emblem. Oh look -- A whale! It makes people forget things tho. BTW, laziness is a sin. I also think there's an iron shortage or something. Also puck is really old. Don't forget the hot chick who loves disemboweling.... Is that related to the dogs that kidnap people? Also oni have horns which makes then different from elves who don't.
>>
>>145545909
He'd just be a different flavor of Kirito and we know how much Kirito is despised
>>
>>145533999
>Is this show good?
Yes. It's overhyped by the fanbase and shat on by contrarians, but the truth is somewhere inbetween.
>Is it the next evangelion
Jesus no. Even Madoka wasn't really the next Evangelion.
>or is it another erased?
Erased was shit. It never had any message to tell and the author has sabotaged the story once he felt the executives were meddling too much. Not to mention that the adaptation botched the end.
>Also, when you claim that it is good or bad, make examples or bring reasons why it is so.
-interesting characters, more developed than they initially appear to be
-engaging story, spiced up with gore without going into akame ga kill EDGY territory
-visuals and audio above average, with studio White Fox cutting OPs and EDs to fit in more content
-rich worldbuilding
-attempt to argue against the isekai cliche where an antisocial nerd goes into a fantasy world and becomes a hero, disregarding his character flaws that made him a NEET in the first place

It's at the very least okay.
>>
>>145547526
This. You said exactly what I had in my head.
>>
>>145547526
>>145545565
Stop stealing my sentiment you faggot.
>>
File: 735245623.png (244KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
735245623.png
244KB, 512x512px
The thing about Re:Zero is that it isn't amazing, it's just an MMO anime done decent, so when compared to other anime with the similar concept, it actually looks great, when in reality it's mediocre.

No, it's not even close to being compared to Eva. I'm not gonna deep throat eva, and then spit my gurgled cum down your throat, but Re:Zero is an anime that will be forgotten once the season is over.

Re:zero isn't bad, but i's just one of the only MMO anime that's actually NOT been utter shit, so it looks better than it is
>>
>>145548000
I'll also add that it manages it's "time travel" (If that's what you wanna call it) pretty well.

Does it get better after episode 8?
>>
>>145533999
>is in his world
>suddenly in new world
>never wonders how he got there
>never wonders how to get back
>never wonders how anyone back home is doing
>never misses playing his games, the internet, a pet...nothing
>never thinks that this might be a huge prank
>just accepts his situation and moves on like it's no big deal
>becomes obsessed with first girl who was nice to him
>in recent arc he was in lowest of lows and only want to run away to a different country IN his new world and never mentioned going back home at any point

Subaru is too unrealistic of a character. Comparing him to Shinji is misguided. A better comparison be Okabe from Steins;Gate. The difference is that Okabe, as with Shinji, is that he is a much more well rounded character compared to Subaru. What's worse was that in a recent episode he went on an exposition filled rant about what shitty person he is rather than to just show it.

I don't know how to explain it, but the reason it's popular, is because it's like the demographic that this show is targeting eats this shit up. They like shows that are 'dark,' 'grim,'and about people suffering. I feel it makes them feel like they are watching something 'adult' or 'older,' because they live in a world that considers them to be juvenile or young. They want to be older so watching things like this makes them feel like they are older, but it's obvious shows like this are for younger audiences.

For all intents and purposes Steins;Gate did this show way better.

That isn't to say that the show isn't entertaining to watch. People might like it now, but when they watch more anime and get older they are going to see it for the juvenile mess that
>>
>>145547526
>Not to mention that the adaptation botched the end.

I don't agree. I liked the ending of Erased.

>-interesting characters, more developed than they initially appear to be

Are you going to sit here and tell me that the red headed Knight and Emilia are more than one note characters? Seriously?
>>
>>145548000
>it's just an MMO anime done decent
Would you recommend a person new to anime to watch Re:Zero before SAO, Log Horizon or any other isekai "MMO" anime?

A huge part of Re:Zero's identity is arguing against the concept of self-insert otaku protagonist. It's as if you watched Madoka as your first magical girl anime. Or, fuck it, this isn't as good as Madoka - it's as if you watched Yuuki Yuuna as your first magical girl anime.
>>
>>145548000
>MMO anime
Why use this term for Re:Zero? It has nothing to do with games.
>>
>>145548150
It gets significantly better in episodes 13, 15 and 18. The MC develops a character and you can start to see the meaning of the title.
>>
>>145548237
Maybe, just maybe the story intends to address that later on. If anything him never looking back is a huge red flag.

Hint: there's a type of people who would gladly cut ties with their family and move on to a different country if they had the opportunity. There's also a type of people who would gladly commit suicide if they didn't feel bad for their family.
>>
>>145546236
> Doesn't want to use ability.
It is not his ability. That is essentially a terrible mindset.
>>145546359
His entire character is neither good nor is it bad. Subaru wants to create an existance for himself in this world to where it comes off as being selfish. He is truly earnest when he believes he belongs and exists for a purpose.
>>
>>145548423
Sword Art Online is just genuinely bad if you're not ten.

I wouldn't say it's a deconstruction similar to Madoka. I think it's just an MMO that doesn't have super generic characters and overtone. SAO is literally a story done wrong, and what happens when you pander to your demographic too much, and are too afraid to make any risks. Log Horizon, No game no life, etc. Aren't done nearly as bad as SAO, but aren't perfect by any means.

So to answer your question, I think someone should watch Re:Zero first, unless they have they have the time to go watch the other example for the sake of "this is what you do wrong, and this is what you do right" At that point, just watch SAO, and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>145548368
>Are you going to sit here and tell me that the red headed Knight and Emilia are more than one note characters? Seriously?
Reindhard is one note, yeah. He's meant to be the stand-in for all the standard isekai protagonists, to contrast him with our MC.

As for Emilia, she's more than one note. She has enough character to defy the MC. Both her and the moeblob waifubait see through his autism, reject him and force him to face the consequences of sperging out. It's not much, but it's one entire classs ahead the usual isekai heroines, who tend to gravitate towards MC's dick and lose any agency they started out with.
>>
>>145533999
I noticed Subaru is able to actually competent on multiple instances.
> Thought of selling his phone to Rom.
> Actually is planning to redo everything from the mansion to recall how he was being murdered.
> Actually wrapped his arm with his jacket to prevent further injury.
> Recent episode.
The only thing Subaru needs to be is focused and NOT emotional. He can be pretty resourceful and achieve if he was actually giving effort and not get in over his head. Being prepared is Subaru's strongest suit but does not achieve it.
>>
>>145548654
Having 1 inspired character is still not better than 0.

SAO is still a must watch for how not to do something.
>>
>>145548654
I'd argue that Re:Zero is more like the isekai that haven't been adapted yet. Something along the lines of MT and the boatloads of other shitty web novels where the main protagonist is genre savvy enough to be aware of his situation. SAO and Log Horizon weren't trying to be isekai shows in the first place, so there's really no relationship between them and Re:Zero beyond the shallow similarity of not being able to return to your home world.
>>
>>145548962
>Genre savvy.
People keep using this. When Subaru understands certain tropes, it ends up backfiring to what he did not expect.
>>
>>145546771
This is about as spot on as it gets. Index has potential that it heartily squanders on being mediocre, but not bad enough to stop watching.
>>
>>145549093
That's exactly the point though. I was looking for other works that have this element, whether or not it ends up being exactly what the protagonists expect.
>>
>>145533999
It's much closer to Erased-tier tbqh.
>>
>>145548605
That doesn't make any sense in regarding Subaru's character and it's not realistic reflection of human nature. No one just jumps into anything, especially if they might have, previously, been a loser with no friends. Especially, if they have been burned before. People who have been hurt are more cautious, guarded, careful. This is because they don't want to get hurt again.

Subaru? He just jumps right in. He doesn't even consider that it was joke or that he even died. He saw the world and just accepted it. Unless you were just born yesterday no human just accepts shit like that and then acts like nothing happened. Not even the worst MC from the shittiest LN anime adaption has ever done that shit before..
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.