[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do Japanese artists learn how to draw differently compared to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: lewd.png (494KB, 626x679px) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
494KB, 626x679px
Do Japanese artists learn how to draw differently compared to Western ones? I've noticed that their sketches all seem similar, and don't use the circles-and-lines techniques you see in How To Draw books
>>
>>145387638
Some older folk got classical artistic education AFAIK. Anyway look up the Manben TV specials if you want to see a bunch of IRL Rohan Kishibes.
>>
A lot of manga-type drawers start out with Andrew Loomis books afaik, so it's not all different. But I notice a huge difference in coloring, more than drawing itself.
>>
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I suspect that a lot of nips initially learn top draw by copying other manga. That's probably one of the reasons why oftentimes proportions are all sorts of fucked.
>>
>>145387638
Probably. The style is different, after all. I would even say that the western obsession with proportions is not a big deal in manga. In fact, manga is probably more about the character design and story than the art, ie. shit art and good story sells, good art and shit story doesn't sell.
>>
>>145388508
I just hate how all comic books look so sterile and uniform. You can barely tell the difference between artists.
>>
File: gg.png (74KB, 564x940px) Image search: [Google]
gg.png
74KB, 564x940px
>>145388368
Don't mangaka seem to use contour drawing more often though?
>>
>>145388706
I don't have any data or idea on that. But it can be that most mangaka draw similar poses and faces so often and in such a limited time frame, they more or less have to free ball a lot of things to make deadline.
>>
>>145388617
There's a decent variety, but imo western artists are less likely to be cute and simplifed stuff tends to be more zany and wacky. Though that's been breaking down a bit since most western cartoon artists are also weebs in some form.
>>
>>145388617
It's not comic books lad
It's just the big two and their house of artists
The next companies after the big two (such as image) consist of artists and writers that work for the big two

Once you get out of that chain you start to see a lot of interesting pieces and variety in terms of art
>>
>>145389212
Any recs on non-house style comics?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.