[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the straight man so underrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: Shinpachi.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shinpachi.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
Why is the straight man so underrated?
>>
EEEEEEH?!
>>
They're not. They're pretty vital in Japanese comedy. But it is natural that the more plain character in a group would get less attention.
>>
>>145338887
shinpachi isn't plain you faggot
>>
>>145338923
He is in relativity to to Gin and Kagura
>>
>>145338923
He is (supposed to be) your average Japanese teenager.
>>
Because their standard reactions gets tiresome after a while.
>>
File: shinpachi8th.jpg (10KB, 185x116px) Image search: [Google]
shinpachi8th.jpg
10KB, 185x116px
>>145338791
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 1136x640px
>>145339010
Then why are they still used huh?

You can't explain that. It's impossible.
Really makes you think.
>>
who shinpachi x kagura here
>>
>>145338791
They wear glasses
>>
Boke and tsukkomi suck 95% of time. The silliness of the situation must speak for itself, if you always need someone to point it out that's just cheap humour.
Boke+more boke works better.
>>
>>145339753
>he hasn't seen arrested development

shit taste
>>
Watching through Gintama for the first time. Just finished the Shinsengumi Rebellion arc. I thought it was amazing, and even better than the Benizakura arc. Then those two episodes after with Katsura/Yamazaki/Jackie Chan , and Katsura going to the island prison and everyone trying to break out have been some of the high points in comedy for me so far. I heard it gets even better later on. Is that true for both the serious arcs as well as the general comedy ep of the show? Do the longer serious arcs start to happen any more or less often? Really glad I decided to finally watch this series. I'd have to say Katsura, Madao, and Yamazaki are some of my favorite characters outside the main trio.
>>
>>145339169

Guy who's watching through it right now. I don't generally ship, but if I had to see Kagura with someone then I think I like her with Okita.
>>
>>145339952
Next serious arc is yoshiwara in episode 140 or so, and most would agree it's the best action arc of gintama.
Serious arcs only become more common in the latest season because shit hits the fan massively, for now expect one every 30-40 episodes.
As for the comedy i don't really know, but if you've liked it until now you'll like the rest too.
>>
>>145338791
I find his reactions to be really overdone in the later seasons. I also think that while it's pretty cool that he can go toe-to-toe with the later enemies, I hate that he became so serious in the fight scenes and yelled a lot more. I would probably dislike him a lot more if it weren't for the fact that he is voiced by Uso from Victory Gundam. Oddly enough, I liked the increase of the jokes about his glasses and popularity in the later arcs.
>>
>>145339886
Arrested Development isn't even the only example. The fact is that all the best comedies out there have a straight man as the MC or as one of the main cast.
>>
Why is japanese comedy so unfunny?
>>
Straight-man thread!
>>
>>145339010
DONDAKE?!
>>
>>145338887
He haves more personal arcs than Kagura tho
>>
>>145340083
>Okita
I see him with Sarutobi or Nobume first though
>>
>>145339952
I definitely think that there's a higher amount of funny episodes after the 100 episode mark or so. Personally there's not many serious arcs that I can say I like very much, especially much later in the series since the mediocre animation of Gintama really sticks out during battle scenes
>>
>>145340218

Thanks senpai. 30-40 eps sounds about right for me. I really like Gintama's serious arcs, but if they started to occur too often I feel like I wouldn't as much, and it'd feel more like typically shounen type stuff. If this Yoshiwara arc is really that good, I'm excited for it. Shinsengumi and Benizakara were both great. I love the comedy and that's what I'm 80% in it for, and so far it seems to be getting better and better.
>>
>Looks like the sane, simple man and acts like it most of the time
>It's actually one of the most deep and perverted characters in the series
>And he's also kind of strong tho
>>
>>145341202

Yeah, that's the thing. If Gintama was just a normal battle Shounen, I don't think I'd find the serious arcs to be anything special. The ones I've seen so far at least, still fall victim to a lot of the shounen tropes that aren't so great. But, for some reason them being used to break up long periods of the great comedy, make me really enjoy them. You get to see the typically comedy oriented characters almost like how they'd be in a different serious all together. It's interesting to see them serious, and fighting enemies that are supposed to pose an actual threat. Benizakura was some really cool fighting moments with Gin, and I liked his fight against Bonsai I think his name is? In the Shinsengumi arc. I'm on episode 110 right now, and it's only getting better for me, esp comedy wise. I picked up the series twice multiple years apart in the past, and never reached episode 10 before deciding it may not be my thing. A friend urged my to watch the movie, and I thought that was pretty cool and gave it another go. As soon as you get episode 20ish I wanna say, for me at least is when I realized I was actually really enjoying the show, and the comedy was finally appealing to me. It's rare to find a series this long that seems to improve with every episode, when it most cases it seems to be the exact opposite.
>>
Gintama thread?

Gintama thread.
>>
>>145341653
Tiny veiled MADAO thread?
>>145341588
Keep watching anon, if you like this, you're going to love the farewell arc
Also, Tama best girl.
>>
>>145341257
>Benizakara
I can still hear the main theme for that and the OPs and EDs in my head

Also every time Takasugi shows up onscreen
>>
>>145341829
>Takasugi's theme
He and Jiraya got them best themes of first season
And the Prince Hata is also GOAT
>>
>>145341816
Fucking Madao. He finally did something and it went 360.
>>
>>145341816

Nice. Yeah I'm going to watch it all for sure. It's really the only show I'm devoting my time to right now. I haven't had a comfy anime feel on the level of snuggling up in bed and watching 5-10 Gintama eps or so before falling asleep in a long long time. One of the comfiest and just all around most enjoyable shows I've gotten into in a while. I just feel happy as fuck when I'm watching it after a long day.
>>
>>145341953

Dat Prince Hata Tarzan/Jungle sounding theme? Super dank. Prince Hata is GOAT.
>>
Tsukkomi are funny whenever their remarks are more subtle instead of literally explaining what's happening. Shinpachi is a good example of a good tsukkomi.
>>
Pattsan is too good
>>
>>145342584
>My (vidya)lady
>>
>>145338791
>Why is the straight man so underrated?
Because we're all fags.
>>
>>145341953
>He and Jiraya got them best themes of first season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuKMEyubrSM

>And the Prince Hata is also GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaP6p9whWR8&spfreload=10

Everything Audio Highs touches is gold
>>
File: Shinpachi.jpg (12KB, 320x197px) Image search: [Google]
Shinpachi.jpg
12KB, 320x197px
>>
>>145338791
Because fujos can't stand them.
>>
>>145344906
>>
Would be funny if gorilla ends the manga at chapter 666
>>
File: GintokiGinkoandGintoki.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GintokiGinkoandGintoki.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: laugh.jpg (38KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
38KB, 450x450px
>>145344906
o shit
>>
I sure love having the punchline screamed at me by some guy who never learns that shits gonna get wacky
>>
File: gintamahistorical.jpg (317KB, 1280x927px) Image search: [Google]
gintamahistorical.jpg
317KB, 1280x927px
>>
>>145338791
Because 90% of nip comedy is straightman shit and they're mostly shit. Shinpachi is number 1 though.
>>
>>145351693
Wait what am I looking at? Are they actually based off historical people?
>>
>>145340812
Show was boring after the first 2 episodes
>>
>>145351693
The tranny is an historical figure?
>>
>>145351693
Is that real?
>>
>>145351809
A lot of characters are, all the amanto thing is a allegory to the opening of Japan to foreign
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.