[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /a/, do you seriously believe that a show or manga having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 342.png (388KB, 602x424px) Image search: [Google]
342.png
388KB, 602x424px
So /a/, do you seriously believe that a show or manga having a large fanbase negatively affects the quality of the product?

In that the large fanbase somehow magnifies the lesser qualities and flaws of said product or erode the good qualities?
>>
File: 1467827105172.jpg (413KB, 1280x1183px) Image search: [Google]
1467827105172.jpg
413KB, 1280x1183px
Nobody actually hates things because they are popular. The real reason people here generally have an aversion to popular series is that popularity is generally contained in the scope of normalfags. What this means is that a large amount of normalfags with no desire or ability to remain objective in their judgement of a series will flock to anime such as SAO or Mirai Nikki and hail it as the second coming of Christ with no real basis for their obsession aside from "hype" or ambiguous non-reasons like "it's just good."

Popularity is normally an indicator of shit, not a factor in a series' worth.
>>
No, but more people liking it makes me more likely to look at it from a different perspective in order to be contrarian, so I would notice shortcomings that i would normally not, thereby reducing my ability to enjoy it. Also ur a faggot op
>>
>>145122222
Well stated, and witnessed.
>>
>>145122222
So would you say a current example is Re;Zero?
>>
>>145122066
It doesn't negatively affects the products but just make your kind hate the product when you see shitty black coats cosplays of Kirito in a group
>>
>>145122222
GLORIOUS QUINTS HAS SPOKEN
>>
>>145122222
>Popularity is normally an indicator of shit
This, you need to degrade your medium into a very low grade all family chow before it gets popular. Case in point, every western PG13 rated movie. Every single one.
>>
>or ambiguous non-reasons like "it's just good."

Did a double take there, thought I was on /v/ for a second. "No fun allowed", right?
>>
>>145122322
Oops, I meant your mind*
>>
>>145122373
Not what I meant. Fun is subjective. "Good," while not a very specific descriptive word, still falls under the category of objectivity. When you say something is good, then it needs to have good qualities that can be quantified.
>>
>>145122222
> no desire or ability to remain objective in their judgement

This has to be up there as one of the most retarded things I've ever read here. There is no objectivity in media; your opinions on what shows you think are good or shit are by definition subjective.
>>
>>145122304
Personally, I like Re:Zero, but I understand its flaws and accept that they are there. I won't speak for the show's objective quality, since it's generally more difficult to make a clear-minded judgement while something is airing.
>>
>>145122449
>When you say something is good, then it needs to have good qualities that can be quantified.
>good qualities
>objectively quantified

What the fuck am I reading
>>
I do bellive that popularity can affect the quality of something. Off the top of my head, I believe that adventure time was ruined due to pandering to the fanbase, or rather part of the fanbase that was vocal.
>>
>>145122684
yes, technical exeuction can be objectively quantified.
stuff like audio design, cheorography, direction, dialogue, can be objectively quantified as "good" or "bad".
>>
>>145122066
>In that the large fanbase somehow magnifies the lesser qualities
This irrational sort of reasoning would be better posed to reddit and MAL.
>>
>>145123286
I think the word you are looking for is "qualified", not "quantified".
>>
File: 1447566605537.png (26KB, 172x150px) Image search: [Google]
1447566605537.png
26KB, 172x150px
>>145122222
>Popularity is normally an indicator of shit
Oh wow. This special snowflake has far more sophisticated and mature tastes than the plebs. They're soooo stooopid.
>>
>>145123673
Hes right though, the larger a market something tries to reach the shittier and inane it gets, see hollywood, modern video games, television. The fact is as the average gets more average it gets dumber.
>>
>>145123673

Frankly, he is right. By appealing to as large of an audience as possible, you have to sacrifice details and things that may be unique for the greater chance of broad appeal. That doesn't always make for something bad, but it does increase the likelihood.
>>
Things are popular for a reason. If something is popular it must be good
>>
>An interview of "Shingeki no Kyojin" mangaka Hajime Isayama was revealed on December 4, 2013. In the interview, he mentions that he is thinking about changing the ending he already had a rough idea about. Influencing his decision is the popularity the series has gained from its anime and upcoming live-action movie adaptations. He states that he now has a new idea for the ending, but feels conflicted. Though he does not wish to abandon his original idea, he is concerned about the effect the ending will have.
>>
>>145123673
Good job committing a logical fallacy. Attacking one's character instead of their argument is called ad hominem.
In other words, not an argument.
>>
>>145123992
no
>>
File: 1394596192686.png (128KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1394596192686.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>145123992

If something's popular, the only thing that proves is that it has something that appeals to a large group of people with sizable enough social presence to be considered positive within that group. Even then, once a movement is large enough some people will follow what's popular for the sake of inclusion alone.

Slavery was popular across history. Facism was popular in Germany. Communism was popular in the Soviet Union. Serfdom was popular in the Middle Ages. Catholicism was popular before the Reformation. Cocaine, heroine, and crystal meth are popular among drug users.
>>
>>145124748
>Communism was popular in the Soviet Union.

At one point almost half the world followed communism.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.