[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he one of the worst protagonists in anime history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 37

File: 1468513449830.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468513449830.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
Is he one of the worst protagonists in anime history?
>>
>>145042119
He has shit taste
>>
File: 1452845391801.gif (1MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1452845391801.gif
1MB, 300x169px
>>145042725
This so much.

>mfw he still chose generic waifubot even after that last episode with Rem
>>
>>145042119
Without a doubt. Somehow he manages to not only be nearly useless and bites off way more than he can chew, but justify it all with lying so hard even he believes what he does is the only right choice.
>>
>>145042119
Yes. He bitches and moans way too much.
>>
>>145042119
He's the incarnation of /a/. we hate him because he remember things that you hate in yourself.
>>
So what was his reasons for not asking for help from those with powers?

Is he a retard? There's atleast 3 very competent people who could easily end this stupid forced drama, all three of them he's close with, yet he doesn't do anything.
>>
File: amzv7Gj_460s_v1.jpg (24KB, 450x210px) Image search: [Google]
amzv7Gj_460s_v1.jpg
24KB, 450x210px
i think he is the most ordinary anon protagonists
>>
>>145042119

taaaaa hahahaha

Go watch white album 1.
>>
Character admits to being useless and complains too much.
>/a/ hates it

Character lifts himself from the abyss and makes him determined to not give up and follow his dream
>he talks too much

Same faggots who hated Shinji. Any character that hits too close to home, /a/ will hate.
>>
>>145042119
Yes. He is so incredibly fucking retarded. I cannot believe people got through the first couple episodes with this idiot as the main character. I think he's supposed to represent the average we/a/boo.
>>
>>145043100
The only site worse than reddit. Go home dude
>>
Whine whine whine whine waaaaaahhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhh
I'm so worthless I hate myself waaaaaaaaahhhh
>>
subaru has his eyes on the higher prize. who wants a lowly servant when you could be with the next ruler of lugnica.
>>
>>145043131

>Any character that hits too close to home, /a/ will hate.

Well yeah. Why would I hate myself any less just because I show up in an anime
>>
File: 1374178035560.jpg (98KB, 1432x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1374178035560.jpg
98KB, 1432x1076px
>>145043258
could is the keyword
>>
>>145043131
This
>>
File: 130_-_Gon_crying_2.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
130_-_Gon_crying_2.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
That part when he talked wasting time and not doing what he wanted when he had all the freedom hurt pretty bad.

Honestly this episode was hard to watch because it showed how much of my life I wasted.

No wonder /a/ despises him....it is a reflecting of themselves.
>>
File: 1464069970111.png (89KB, 203x181px) Image search: [Google]
1464069970111.png
89KB, 203x181px
>>145042921
He's worse than useless though. He's legitimately a detriment to those close to him. I mean fuck, how many times has Rem died saving his worthless ass? And never once has he actually tried to make himself not useless.

And even after all that, plus that emotional bonding in the last episode, he still chose Emilia. The vanilla wafer who paid attention to him once or twice.

Subaru is trash.
>>
>>145042883
>he's a speedwatcher

He wanted to run away with Rem. But Rem wanted him to stay and fight for Emilia. She wanted it this way.
>>
>>145043479

You can't fake love. Picking Rem even though he doesn't love her is disingenuous. Honestly he fell in love with Emila the first time he saw her and yes it is irrational teenage love shit but that is how it works in real life.
>>
>>145043647
Not the anon you replied to but

>Girl comes along
>Pays a bit of attention to me and not much else
>"Better autistically fawn over her and turn into a giant sperg!"

>Another girl comes along
>Have actual chemistry together
>Accepts me along with my flaws and sees the good in me that I don't even see in myself
>"Nah I won't give you a chance. I'd rather just blindly follow someone who has and will continue to barely want me around."

You don't see a problem with this?
>>
Nope. Even if he did piss away a bunch of episodes for fuck all nothing he's still better than a whole bunch of other protags.
>>
>>145043213
You mean tumblr too right anon?
>>
>>145043131
>the classic "you only hate him because he hits too close home!" copout
If a character resembles a fucking /a/ poster he is definitely not a good character.
>>
>>145042119
Wouldn't know.
The moment I learned it's isekai I dropped this shit. Long time before I watched even a single episode too, dodged a bullet there!
>>
File: 1463028869850.jpg (52KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1463028869850.jpg
52KB, 1024x640px
>tfw you were a loyal Emiliafag all along

First time in a while that Subaru was as cool guy, he could have caved in and settled for second best, but he chose Emilia instead.
>>
>>145043131
What a cop out excuse. Sure some on /a/ hate him for that reason but plenty hate him simply because he is walking cancer. If anything he reminds me of that guy who would tell anybody anything that made himself sound better and just builds lie after lie until it all comes crashing down and THEN has the nerve to say it is everybody else's fault.
>>
http://m.imgur.com/a/jBrIW
>>
>>145044102
>another girl comes along
>she turns you into meat paste

Subaru gave her plenty of chances. Maybe if she wasn't a homicidal psychopath he'd have more feelings for her.
>>
File: UDbjQ.jpg (47KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
UDbjQ.jpg
47KB, 800x450px
>>145042119
Nah, he's a well written and realistic character, pic related is the worst and shitty written character in anime.
>>
>>145044996
There is no bullet to dodge.
>>
File: DmA4xLC.jpg (1MB, 1364x2274px) Image search: [Google]
DmA4xLC.jpg
1MB, 1364x2274px
it's for the better that subaru chose emilia over rem. rem quickly maxed out her potential as a love interest and beyond the surface has little to no relevancy to the remaining story. it's even a good thing that tragedy befalls rem before people can see how boring she really is.
>>
>>145042119
No, he's one of the best.
>>
Being turned into bits of flayed meat by rem several times is a turnoff
>>
>>145043049
they all refused and shit on him as a person, maybe REM helped him get over the negativity now
>>
>>145043551
She wanted him to be looking forward to the future, which was the reason she started talking about all of her dreams for a family. It was to highlight how differently they viewed that prospect. It was a future she dreamed of and would have looked forward to, but to Subaru it was just giving up on what he really wanted. If Subaru actually had similar dreams of his own, she'd probably have said yes to his proposal.
>>
I am conflicted on this because while he is pretty retarded about relationships as most anime protags are his reactions to being torn apart and killed over and over again seem pretty realistic. Most frustrating thing about him is that unless he is trying to figure out how to survive a situation he pursues the most retarded objectives. He should be trying to figure out about the nature of Return from Death and why he was brought to this world.
>>
>>145045302
Whatever you say. Keep eating this shit.
>>
>>145045889
Sucks to be you.
At least you're stubborn enough to never find out what you missed out on and then kick yourself over it.
>>
File: itsover.png (186KB, 497x578px) Image search: [Google]
itsover.png
186KB, 497x578px
Remfags BTFO, enjoy your vegetable as she stays irrelevant til arc 6.
>>
>>145045856
Subaru knows how return by death works and that it's caused by Satella and he doesn't care why he was brought to this world
>>
>>145045856
I like him when he's trying to overcome his death but the instant Emilia comes into his proximity he starts acting so fucking obnoxious with all that embarrassing LN dialogue and "flirting".
>>
>>145045856
He could be, but that's not what matters to him.
Besides, the situations don't exactly allow for much respite due to the conflict that happens, and he certainly doesn't want to mess up his auto save.
>>
Dude is such a drama queen. He is basically immortal and yet is traumatized by literally everything. Totally ruins the show. I hate all the bitches that fall for him for no reason. Only character I respect is Felt. I hope she fucks over everyone and Makes Re:Zero Great Again.
>>
>>145046338
>I hate all the bitches that fall for him for no reason
And who has that been?
>>
>>145046037
He doesn't know how it works, he killed Emilia last time he tried to disclose it to her and was surprised. Him not caring about why he was brought to this world is idiotic. He should care, even if he had a shit life before he was brought to this world, that was his own fault.
>>
>>145046338
>I hate all the bitches that fall for him for no reason.
What bitches? Only character that has shown him any kind of affection is Rem. Emilia just feels indebted to him and liked that he was someone she could relate to as a normal person.
>>
>>145046157
Yep, the situations that Nips consider to be 'flirty' or when Subaru is trying to earn her affections just seem spergy and autistic to any normal well-adjusted person. Anime has ruined my perception of Japanese men, I consider them all to be autists by western standards.
>>
>>145043295
Because the guy in the anime succeeds in turning it around at some point.
Unlike you.
>>
>>145046338
Well firstly, he is a horrible person. Secondly, dying FUCKING HURTS
Thirdly, seeing people you care about die in horrible ways over and over again is bad too.
Fourthly, imagine there was a whale that deleted the people you cared about from existence and then the game autosaved
>>
>>145043131
This
>>
File: images (11).jpg (8KB, 248x233px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
8KB, 248x233px
>>145042119
No the worst of all time protagonist would be Shinji.
>>
>>145046338
yeah but its not like he can do anything to build himself up

he cant build muscle mass, he cant use his magic in the loop since he busted his gate

so hes in a powerless position to gain physical strength and hes also ruined his social standing in the loop, so in a 2 day time frame how do you amass people who all think youre a loser or strengthen yourself to stop the oncoming threat

its a overburdening hurdle and its a pretty accurate way of embodying such stress
>>
>>145046497
Knowing the isekai trope from being an otaku himself, he believed it was his chance to start over, like the title of the show implies. And despite all the setbacks, he has managed that to some degree, he now has people he cares for and who to varying degrees care for him too, which he didn't seem to have at all in his old life. There's absolutely nothing there for him to return to, which is why after he got sick of dying over and over, his idea was to escape to a place where he has no fear of death, and try to achieve as much happiness as he can, which presumably would be more than in his old life simply due to having Rem.

Not really seeing why he should care about how he got there. What matters to him right now is protecting Emilia.
>>
>>145046338
I don't agree, many of the girls in the show feel outright disgust towards him and his actions. He's a shitty human being in general.
>>
>>145046157
>>145046750
Emilia-tan doesn't have any context to judge his behavior from. To us, he's showing that he has an issue separating fantasy from reality by acting like he's in some kind of cliche romcom LN, but to Emilia he's just an eccentric guy who means no harm.
>>
>>145042119
You can do plenty worse than Toyota
>>
>>145046875
>dying hurts
How would you know? No one that's died has come back. Science tells us, once we're dead, there is no "feeling hurt".

He's a dramaqueen
>>
>Subaru who is cursed by the witch is in love with someone half-trash who fits the description of the said witch.
>/a/ still thinks it is his free will.
>>
>>145047736
Well it's not the process of death itself which hurts, it's more so what happened to cause the death which hurts.
>>
>>145047106
Eh, I mean we don't know much about his old life other than the fact that he said he "never did anything". We don't know what relationships he had with other people, his parents, possible siblings etc. He clearly doesn't enjoy pain, and he understands his situation is fucked up. Even a boring life is better than one where you are constantly killed in painful ways and are faced with overwhelmingly horrific and depressing situations. Anyone who prefers the latter is mentally ill, and other than his autistic tendencies Subaru doesn't look to be mentally ill.
>>
File: 14426091772521.jpg (51KB, 957x717px) Image search: [Google]
14426091772521.jpg
51KB, 957x717px
>I love Emilia
Shit, nigga, what are you doing?
>>
>>145047772
>remfags still at it
>>
File: 1464052824305.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464052824305.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>145047958
Being a smart man with good taste.
>>
Is the reason that Subaru's so attached to Emilia the dark witches influence?

If he only wanted attention and acceptance, he probably would've sodded off already. Same for infatuation or puppy love.
>>
>>145048007
You don't choose your waifu, son
>>
>>145047845
Getting injured hurts as well. You ever try to pass a kidney stone? Or get a cluster headache? Or step barefoot on a lego? Being disemboweled or frozen into pieces would feel peachy in comparison.
>>
>>145047846
As I said, he already tried to escape from his suffering by escaping with Rem. That would (presumably) give him a happy life where he doesn't have to worry about dying over and over. But as we know, Rem convinced him that he shouldn't run away.
>>
>>145048066
>You don't choose your waifu, son
This is the logic of an autist who chooses to see the world as it is and not do anything about it instead of seeing the world as they want it to be, and trying to change it. This is the logic of losers.
>>
>>145048287
All the more proof that Rem is worst girl. She convinced him to continue his life of pain and suffering.
>>
>>145048287
I don't think the curse would allow him to live a happy life.Remember the puppy who turned out to be a boss?It had no chance of meeting Emilia so it wouldn't be able to curse her.I think it was aimed at Subaru in the first place to give him a way to die in case shit didn't go as planned.It might be far fetched but I think the reason of Subaru's curse and those arbitary checkpoints is that his quest is making Emilia the queen.
>>
>>145042883
but Rem IS a generic waifubot
>>
Subaru admitted that he wanted to be great, but knew that his laziness and complacency--slothfulness, if you will--in the actual world put him at the whims of the much more able people and things around him.

It's not like he could have trained in magic, but he realized that anything that he could have done in the real world--be it more physical activity, social skills, sensible thinking, whatever--instead of sitting down and doing nothing productive might have been helpful in the world he's been thrown into. He lacked pretty much all of anything useful, and it generally ended up making him either being powerless or biting off more than he could chew and making a situation worse, regardless of how well-meaning he was.

He's got dreams to be great, but he confessed that he was all talk about it instead of actually doing, and it was in keeping up a facade that he put his ego over thinking and forgot how little he could really do.

He had accepted that he's a real self-insert someone that really can't do anything because of his own laziness, but the hope is found when, even at zero, he realized that he was able to start over. With all of his past mistakes to learn from and knowing now about what could be, he was more than ready to take a crack at a second chance.

He done fucked up in his first run around life; now it's time for him to try again.

So yeah--he was a pretty awful character. Was.
The fact that he admitted it and really does plan to change might change that.
>>
>>145048498
Well, that's because literally no one can actually relate to his pain and suffering. He can't even try to explain it himself. To Rem, he went through some tough times and suddenly starts having panic attacks. At best she can understand that she doesn't know his suffering, but she can't even begin to imagine how deep it goes. All he can do is hope she takes his word for how much he's suffering, but she doesn't because to her it seems like he's just being really pessimistic, and that the right choice is to push him on. Makes me wonder how much good her encouragement will do him in the end, considering it's based on a lack of understanding of his situation.

>>145048574
>I don't think the curse would allow him to live a happy life.
Sure, I agree. But this persistence of the curse probably isn't obvious to Subaru himself. It's only obvious to the viewer because we're starting to see how it fits into the narrative. Subaru has a bit of a hero delusion, so to him he's just getting into all that shit because he insists on helping everyone out.
>>
>>145042119

He was so cocky all the time early on and then he turns into a coward despite being able to restart. To top it off he gets the most wonderful confession a girl could give a guy and then shrugs it off for the shallow plastic doll that is Emilia. He's pretty damn shitty.
>>
>>145047845
If you jump off the cliff, you die in less than couple of seconds.
>>
>>145042119
Time to stop posting, Subaru.
>>
>>145049281
How far that encouragement will go depends on how much Subaru really will do to make himself the "awesome" Subaru he can be.

Regardless of whether Rem ever does understand what Subaru's been through, encouragement is encouragement.

Being specific about it sounds nice, but I think "whatever it is you plan to do, don't give up on it" is good enough.
>>
>>145049459
He's single mindedly chasing an ideal. Rather in line with his character so far, really.

I do think it would be hilarious if he turned Emilia into an ideal she could not possibly fill.
>>
His bitching and moaning during recent episodes are making me watch this crap on x2.0 speed.

What is it with Japan and crybaby faggot MCs?
>>
>>145049676
Being the powerless arrogant ass he is/was, there isn't that much more to expect from someone that can only helplessly lash out.
>>
>>145042119
Because her from a isekai novel don't look up isekai novel.
>>
File: bat.png (683KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
bat.png
683KB, 800x430px
I feel like the only way you could watch this show without cringing would be to have some sort of fetish for gross, self-pitying incompetence.

Also episode 18 was 'crying on a tower-top'. The WHOLE thing. Fuck this shows pace. I cannot handle this. I don't even care what happens anymore. Dropped.
>>
>>145050304
>the episode was him admitting that everything he had done was fucking disgusting
It should have at least been cathartic to see him finally call himself garbage.
>>
File: 1469624577871.jpg (26KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
1469624577871.jpg
26KB, 325x325px
>>145050304
See you next week.
>>
File: 1276344302860.png (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1276344302860.png
21KB, 400x400px
>>145050444
>20 minutes of Subaru crying followed by Rem getting cucked till kingdom come
Not the guy you quoted, but screw it. I'm done.
>>
>>145043417
This too much. Also wanting to achieve something without doing any effort hit too close. Fuck you Subaru for waking me up when it's too late.
>>
>>145050720
We can always start over.
It'll be harder to take another chance this far in, but it doesn't mean you can't try.
>>
I was really mixed on this weeks episode. To me this episode seemed to say Toyota is aware of his own powerlessness and that he gives up on/runs away from everything, but the rest of the series doesn't really imply this. He continues trying to help Emilia/Rem/Ram even after being rejected/killed multiple times, and we have objective proof that he can do something, namely saving Emilia and Rem's lives by doing something only he in the re zero universe can do. In fact, this weeks episode is the first time we've actually seen him try to give up/run away.

I know that his faults can be inferred through the pre-isekai flashbacks, but isn't the fact that he never showed any tendency to give up/run away before now a bit incongruous?

Also it's worth noting Rem went from not knowing Mitsubishi to being in love with him over the course of about a week.
>>
File: No tears, only love.jpg (883KB, 941x1100px) Image search: [Google]
No tears, only love.jpg
883KB, 941x1100px
>>145049459

When I think about how shitty Subaru is, I don't even get mad. I feel sick. For the first time I genuinely feel I have been trolled by my korean cartoons.

Still, Rem is pure love. This episode made me shiver. I regret NOTHING.
>>
>>145052928
He's basically hit a brick wall these past few episodes and feels that these events are way out of his league and his interference either won't change anything or might make things worse
Initially his opponents were beings he could actually fight, like Elsa or the mabeasts, and he had some relatively powerful allies. Now he's going up against a giant whale that eats people out of existence, a witch cult led by a madman with powers given to him by satan, and the only people who can help him in time want nothing to do with him.

>This weeks episode is the first time we've actually seen him try to give up/run away
He's been running away from his problems since he got isekai'd, it's why he was so upbeat about getting another shot at life and didn't seem to give a shit about going back.

>Rem went from not knowing Mitsubishi to being in love with him over the course of about a week
I believe there was about a month timeskip between the mansion arc and the trip to the capital
>>
>>145052928
It's that kind of infatuation that occurs when someone does something real heartwarming to you. It's like phase one love.

For Rem, it was when Subaru brought her back up from her lowest point. I think anyone would at least fall for, if not want be together with, someone who could do that.
>>
>>145042119
hardly
>>
What is the logic behind checkpoints?Why does he wake up in front of that greengrocery?
>>
He's a complete fucking idiot, but I can't help but like him. I don't see myself in him at all, though. Even I'm not this stupid.
>>
Even though I hate him I still think he has potential.
>>
>>145054300
mr. shop owener is a witch of greed
>>
>>145054300
Appaman is Satella's underling,
>>
File: 1443212151349.png (439KB, 654x822px) Image search: [Google]
1443212151349.png
439KB, 654x822px
>>145054344
>>145054463
his brain ain't right but it's fun
>>
>>145054470
>>145054501
I just ruined a good twist for me didn't I?
>>
File: 1420038240129.gif (408KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
1420038240129.gif
408KB, 480x280px
>>145054814
you sure did pal
>>
File: 1353091226313.jpg (185KB, 700x1492px) Image search: [Google]
1353091226313.jpg
185KB, 700x1492px
>>145046976
For all Shinji's faults, he at least tries.
>>
I just hate him putting on the waterworks and wanting pity every where because he's too weak to do anything.

He is really annoying in how he goes about things.
>>
File: nice.jpg (18KB, 157x229px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
18KB, 157x229px
>>145054968
>He is really annoying in how he goes about things.
like a real shut in loser
>>
>>145054968
What else can you do when you can't do shit?
>>
>>145054344
He can be very manly. I like him.
>>
Stop cluttering the catalog with this fucking shit.
>>
>>145055120
Not pull a Subaru that's for sure.
>>
>>145055551
I'm beginning to think I should have watched this show.
>>
>>145055607
I'd like to know exactly what that is.
>>
>>145042725
truly /a/non incarnate
>>
>>145054968
Him crying like a bitch is infinitely more preferable to him being the "hilarious" and random genre savvy otaku guy. His brand of comedy is utter shit, he just yells dumb shit all the time and his LN banter interaction with Emilia is so bad I want to cry. The VA's subpar comedic performance makes it even worse.
>>
>>145055886
>he admits that everything he did was disgusting in episode 18
Everything the writers made him do was on purpose to make you really hate him.
>>
>>145042119
does re:zero have to get such shitty threads?
he's a great protagonist, he's more of an anti-self-insert one, if you try to self-insert, it basically shows you how much of a hypocrite you are, and that in itself is amazing...
>>
>>145045262
>characters basically have zero personality
>takes 18 episodes to establish anything
>it's all hamfisted retardation
I almost never drop shows after watching so much of them, but I am dropping re:zero on principle. I liked the setting, but nothing is worth this.
>>
>>145054968
you just said why he's such a well made character
>he's too weak to do anything
that's what a shut-in loser should be like
not a kirito clone
>>
>>145042119
cringe: the animation.
>>
>>145055688
you should, it has a good amount of episodes now...
>>
>>145056223
>I liked the setting
>it's an isekai setting
kek
>>
>>145056279
basically, and that's how it should be
>>
>>145056244
>that's what a shut-in loser should be like
A shut in loser wouldn't constantly put himself in the situations Subaru does, and what's more they wouldn't be so stupid and unable to articulate anything precisely because they are capable of introspection. I mean, FUCK, he hasn't even once considered how or why any of this has happened to him, any real neet faggot would never be able to so readily dismiss that and embrace an entirely new life as he has. Nothing about the character or his actions makes sense, it's all hamfisted as fuck.
>>
>>145056370
I more so meant the whole medieval fantasy setting, very few shows produce an attractive version of it, it's either over the top Final Fantasy garbage or no fun brutal realistic whatever. Re:Zero has a pretty good balance, it's a shame about literally everything else.
>>
( samefagging >>145056244 )

>>145056430

>he hasn't even once considered how or why any of this has happened to him
okay, you got me there....
>>
>>145056522
>the witch cult is going to attack
>I don't believe you
>FUCK YOU, BELIEVE ME
This, after in the first few episodes he treats the whole world like one big fantasy MMO trope. He even thinks to trick people into thinking his cellphone is magic. He couldn't just say something like...hey...I can see the future. This will happen, trust me? Subaru is incredibly and inconsistently stupid just because the plot demands it, he is a grade A example of poor characterization.
>>
>>145055607
Oh you'd surprised. People do pull Subarus a lot more than they should.
>>
>>145042119
I kind of wish I was in his situation

I want to be mind broken.
>>
>>145056737
That's generally in the sexual way though.
Turning into a gibbering mess isn't that fun unless you gain something out of it.
>>
>>145056638
I think misleading people would still make Satella pissed off. Telling the future would be too damned easy.
>>
>>145042119
No, just wrong place wrong time. Usually people are not supposed to save the world, this is a work for Reinhard but he is narcissist too much for noticing world end.
>>
>>145056839
Even though seeing yourself and your loved ones die because of your uselessness over and over again might fuck you up over coming it and saving them would definitely make you a better person
>>
>>145056898
Try it and find out, it's worth confirming.
>>
>>145056638
Why would people take his word for his clairvoyance? They'd probably ask for some kind of proof, which he generally can't give before the shit he's trying to prevent has already gone down. The cellphone trick only worked because he showed people something they couldn't explain and offered an explanation for it, which by pure luck matched with something Rom knew existed. And the whole idea of using the cellphone just came in an eureka moment when he was digging in his pockets and realized he still had it, it doesn't really reflect on him being cunning enough to come up with a lie for any situation.
>>
>>145058173
>Why would people take his word for his clairvoyance? They'd probably ask for some kind of proof, which he generally can't give before the shit he's trying to prevent has already gone down.
Are you kidding? He can easily and reliably predict the future by killing himself and then relating what happened before he did. He was literally willing to kill himself until he wasn't, so don't give me that either.
>>
>>145049647
They actually tried to hint at that a few eps ago.
But they honestly know fuck all about each other and neither one made even the slightest attempt at finding out anything about the other.

I supposed they could have made a point about him not asking her anything about herself and what that says about his relationship with her, but they don't.
Mainly because the author doesn't actually understand or care about the importance of them basically being strangers but carring about each other.
>>
>>145043131
>Any character that hits too close to home, /a/ will hate
Wrong.

I love Satou.
>>
>>145043417
First time getting into anime? Subaru speech isn't really all that grand nor is it the first time a character spoke along those lines.

You Re:Zerofags are pure cancer.
>>
>>145043131
Who cares what a bunch of fucking weaboos opine, just enjoy the series
>>
>>145058924
>He was literally willing to kill himself
When he was in total despair and saw no other way out.
>>
>>145043417
>Anon's first MC who is a criticism of otaku culture
your age is showing
>>
>>145059685
He killed himself deliberately in episode 7 to reset
>>
>>145056482
The setting (or at least the town) looks nice, but it seems kinda artificial.
>>
>>145043417
Ya that part him me in the feels....I need to make some drastic changes.
>>
>>145043131
at least back in the day there were confidant badass for /a/ and neets to look up to now all we have is pandering cancer
>>
>>145043131
Even the most shut in loser I know isn't as prideful or retarded as Subaru is. Hes like a political caricature level of awful.
>>
He would need to die ten thousand times more to start becoming a man.
>>
>>145042119
No, he's actually pretty entertaining.
>>
I just can't hate him. He reminds me of my pathetic self.
>>
He's utter trash.

Pathetic
Useless
Socially retarded
Entitled
Slothful
Unambitious
Unwarranted self-importance
Blames the world for faults
Desperate
Shameless
"Nice guy"
Beta orbiter
Oneitis

Everything a woman would hate. The love Rem has for this trash is disgusting and Emilia is stupid if she falls for him too.
>>
>>145042119
He's actually one of the better protagonists in a while, actually flawed, not a mary sue but not utterly fucking worthless either.

Gets shit done albeit not necessarily the best way possible.
>>
>>145045150
>What a cop out excuse.
Name one "hit too close to home" character who is NOT well-written.

Re:Zero is the deconstruction of the otaku/NEET protagonist trope in isekai stories. If it hurts it means it's working.
>>
>>145064032
Are we still talking about Subaru?
>>
>>145064125
Yes and all men like him. They deserve their awful lives.
>>
>>145043131
>Any character that hits too close to home, /a/ will hate.

Speaking as a highly experienced wizard, and knowing that all true /a/nons are wizards in training if not full blown wizards themselves, if a cute girl like Rem expressed her unequivocal love for me and how she wanted to have children together and live together forever, I could not physically turn her down like that. It wouldn't be possible for any of us. Fuck, most of the people watching this show love Rem vicariously through what she has done to Subaru. If they were put in Subarus shoes they would have spilled their spaghetti all over the fucking place just looking at Rems love filled eyes.

So, no. Subaru does not "hit close to home" with /a/. Not even close. And, frankly, if he is supposed to be a flawed character, a former NEET who is likely (if not confirmed) a virgin, there is no possible way he could reject Rem that easily. Especially not after everything she has done for him, and how little Emilia has done for him and how little chemistry there is between them, if any.
>>
File: 168.jpg (30KB, 446x235px) Image search: [Google]
168.jpg
30KB, 446x235px
>>145064352
Don't be so hard on yourself, anon. I think you deserve a good life.
>>
>>145064592
Don't reply to me, you creep.
>>
>>145059685
and the reason he confesses everything to Rem when he wants to run is exactly because he sees no way out, in fact he literally says there's no escape (and then asks her to escape with him)

the character is full of contradictions
>>
>>145064451
This, Subaru's all bad traits rolled into one. He's more of a caricature of a loser, down to his obsession with Emilia. Play around with a piano and you'll produce a few good tunes.
>>
/a/ hates Subaru because he chose the prettier girl.
>>
>>145064100
Are you watching Mob Psycho? Mob is interesting yet relatable protagonist despite being OP. Subaru is just relatable but nothing else.
>>
File: 1407820672678.jpg (37KB, 400x447px) Image search: [Google]
1407820672678.jpg
37KB, 400x447px
>>145064640
You still deserve a good life:)
>>
File: 1454341262084.png (376KB, 907x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454341262084.png
376KB, 907x720px
>>145064451

My girlfriend of 7 years was choking back tears as she told me she loves me and wants to spend the rest of her life with me and have kids and get married.

And I told her I was ending the relationship.

Why? She just wasn't the one.

Rem is cute, but I would turn her down as well.

Don't settle for second best.
>>
>>145065168
>Don't settle for the second best.
That would be Emilia.
>>
>>145065168
He's not speaking for you, normalfag.
>>
>>145065168
>girlfriend of 7 years

Anon I hate to break it to you but you are the abnormal one here. In the context of the argument, if Sudoku "hits close to home"
with you, as in, you can sympathize and understand his motives, it doesn't matter since you are in an extreme minority on /a/ who has had long lasting relationships (or any relationship for that matter)

Sympathizing with Subaru's motives might make sense if he also had long lasting relationships, but he has not. We have no reason to believe he has had any relationships. He is portrayed as a typical NEET loser. Therefore, his actions regarding Rem and her love do not make any sense whatsoever.
>>
This anime inspired me to give lap pillows to my significant other.
>>
>>145065168

anon subaru settled for second best
>>
Does anyone get the feeling that Subaru is written the way he is to maximize the amount of gruesome, retarded deaths he faces throughout the series to have an "edgy" (I don't like using this word loosely, but I feel it applies here) appeal that the typical LN audience might enjoy?
>>
>>145065861
I am sure the author has a suffering fetish. As someone who writes, I love to slip in my fetish for plot enhancement because its one of those things no one will notice.
>>
Im a girl and I like him
>>
File: shock.jpg (27KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
shock.jpg
27KB, 640x360px
Really, really, I want to see Subaru left to die. Alone. Rem is fucking worst cuck ever.

Rem
>Be saved over9000 times by Rem, even if cost her life
>Be encouraged by her all time
>She never throws him away (only one time in the beginning)
>She think about her and his future
>She isn't a bitch
>She loves him even after become total cuck

Emilia
>empty girl
>subtly cucked him all time
>she demands tons of attention
>when subaru trying to tell her about his miserable life she just throw and accuse him "WHY YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT ME, I WAS THINKING WE ARE FRIENDS"
>>
>>145043417
>That post with shounenshit picture
Like clockwork.
>>
>>145065973
Yes, yes anon we are all little girls but no one likes him.
>>
Is the anime going to be caught up with the books at the end of this season?
>>
>>145065861
Subaru and the story both. Neither make any sense. They just lead to drama and emoness.
>>
It is literally impossible to enjoy a Re: Zero thread without unspoilered spoilers. Give me all the shitposting, I don't care as long as you dont fucking post spoilers.
>>
Subaru chose correctly. Emilia literally has no flaws.
>>
File: 1449418238561.png (273KB, 432x407px) Image search: [Google]
1449418238561.png
273KB, 432x407px
>tfw you can't save everyone
>>
>>145042119
I swear we get one of these threads almost every week

And to answer your question OP, he's probably a humane protagonist. Think about it, in a world wear all your acquaintances and associates are fucking decked out with either magic or raw power, he's fucking useless. And at least he realizes he is.

Also why is most the reasoning for people hating Subaru about choosing Emilia over Rem? Waifufags pls
>>
>>145065168
So you wasted her youth and now her ovaries will be all dried up, and she has lost all her dating market value.

Good job.
>>
>>145065610
>>145065319
>second best
>winning
>>
File: blue meido.jpg (2MB, 2904x2100px) Image search: [Google]
blue meido.jpg
2MB, 2904x2100px
>>145066419
but anon,
posting spoilers is partly shitposting
>>
File: oh.jpg (74KB, 960x538px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
74KB, 960x538px
>>145043417
Your probably like 16 kid, chin up don't be such a faggot it's only a fucking anime are you THAT insecure?
>>
Will leddit and MAL finally leave after this shit show is over?

I've endured horrible shitposting before but I think leddit and MAL's collective stupidity is finally taking a toll on me.
>>
>>145066898
Give it a month after more who's rem and coma and "Why Subaru is the shittiest character and is definitely not me" shitposts when the anime ends, and they might leave
>>
>>145066898
>will leddit and MAL finally leave after this shit show is over?
they have always been here, they will always be here
>>
Is it pretty much a 0% chance of a Rem ending at this point?
>>
>>145042119
>calmly kills himself
>couple episodes later loses his shit when he's about to be killed
His yo-yoing is one the things I can't stand.
>>
>>145066777

>worst girls can't win
Is this your first anime or something like that?
>>
>>145066992
It's actually reddit and MAL who are the Subaru apologists throwing around the you-just-hate-him-because-he's-like-you retarded reasoning. Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>145067027

Don't hold onto the hope that rem might come back
Hold onto the hope that emilia might be killed off in a brutal manner
>>
>>145067145
What happens in the LNs?
>>
>>145042119
In world he is a worthless piece of shit, but he's a great character.
>>
>>145046338
>I hate all the bitches that fall for him for no reason.

So Rem and...
>>
File: protectit.jpg (15KB, 626x351px) Image search: [Google]
protectit.jpg
15KB, 626x351px
I will never not be salty about Rem.
Especially the fate that tappei writes for her.
>>
>>145067095
Best girls always win. That's why they're the best. Try liking better girls.
>>
File: 1449330898873.jpg (39KB, 1277x546px) Image search: [Google]
1449330898873.jpg
39KB, 1277x546px
>>145042119
Npoe
>>
Subaru will end up with Rem in the end
>>
>>145067393

He is just baiting all emiliafags out of the woodworks so he can crush them all in one swift blow
>>
>>145042119
Yes, but it's not his fault.
>>
>>145066610
I just find his actions irrational and I cannot relate to his character. Nothing personal, and I don't care about waifus. But it's just an adaptation of some shitty web novel so of course the characters aren't going to make much sense, and for that matter, characters in almost every anime series act irrationally and nonsensically so it's not a deal breaker.

The only bothersome thing really is that there is a Re zero defense force to come and tell us why we are wrong and how he is a perfect character and we just don't get it.
>>
>>145042119
He sounds pathetic, I don't think I could stand to watch this show.
>>
File: Texflex.png (53KB, 402x225px) Image search: [Google]
Texflex.png
53KB, 402x225px
>>145067062
>calmly kills himself

When has that happened.

>>145058924
Please. Jumping off of the cliff was a purely emotional action. He was still scared of dying, but his desire to make things right won out in the end.

>but then why doesn't he do the same now????

There's a big fucking difference between making a maid not hate you and preventing her from dying and stopping an insane OP witch cult, a massive OP Puck that hates your guts when you fail, and a giant fucking flying whale. On top of all that most of the people he could ask for help think he's completely worthless or hate his guts and won't listen to him.

Are there ways out? Yes, and we're about to see one. He didn't find it earlier because he wasn't thinking clearly. The compounding stress was taking a toll on him and clouding his judgement. Rem broke him out of that and now we can finally see him make steps toward fixing the situation.

I dunno. It feels like most of the people who have these complaints are just living episode to episode and not looking at the grand scheme of things.
>>
File: 1401911387430.png (4KB, 265x292px) Image search: [Google]
1401911387430.png
4KB, 265x292px
>>145067669
>>
>>145067970
>When has that happened.
When he left the cave carrying rems body. He was calm and clearly intended on killing himself.
>>
>>145068193
>mind broken and heart broken
>gravitating to the only place you consider home like a wounded animal
>calm

I also don't see where it was clear he intended on dying. He probably wasn't even thinking about what he could do to fix the situation at that point.
>>
>>145068328
I don't think we are talking about the same episode. I'm talking about the one where he was captured. Rem showed up in the cave and then betelgeuse fucked her shit up. He clearly intended on dying so he could save Rem. Which is why the whale part made no fucking sense. He already killed himself once to save Rem but he wouldn't do it that time.
>>
>>145068509
We are talking about the same episode. He picks her up, walks to the mansion, and puck kills him. That couldn't even be considered a suicide, because Subaru could have never guessed that a giant monster would pop out of the mansion and freeze him to death.

Actually. In all of the loops he ends up going back to Emilia to see if she survives, and only talks about wanting to die after he accidentally kills her.

Plus, he doesn't know how the white whale works, he doesn't even know if Rem is dead, and no matter how many times someone dies I imagine the prospect of getting eaten by a giant whale is still terrifying.
>>
>>145068844
I could be misremembering but I don't care enough to redownload the episodes to check. While leaving didn't he say something about wanting to fix things?
>>
>>145069066
Nah he's like "let's go, Rem" then just says Betelguese over and over again.

He does bash his head against the floor a bit, but even that's half-assed; nigga doesn't even have a bruise.
>>
>>145069307
Guess I'm wrong then. Oh well. Dropped this shit show anyways.
>>
File: ntr.png (168KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
ntr.png
168KB, 600x338px
>>
>>145042119
Subaru are built to never die, more than any other brand.

If only he was a more regular brand of car, could have even been a cute Suzuki bike. Such is fate.
>>
>>145069624
Eh, it's not for everyone. Nothing is. If it failed to grab you emotionally then there's not really much to be done about it.
>>
>>145069783
Started out ok but got increasing worse as it went on. An entire episode of the protagonist talking about what a piece of shit he is, no matter how true it is, was the last straw.
>>
>>145069984

Whatever do you.
>>
>>145069984
Really? That's weird, because for me it was exciting. Now that he's acknowledged it he can take steps toward fixing it, and according to spoilerfags that's exactly what happens.
>>
>>145042119
Yes but not because he didn't choose the dumb maid.
>>
>>145045150
>just builds lie after lie until it all comes crashing down
Anon, did you figure this out by yourself or you watch the latest ep and copypasta Subaru's words?
>>
>>145045988
That vegetable you speak of will be relevant forever in Subaru's drive to move forward.
>>
>>145070211
We've seen him do this kind of thing before. This time it was just more stretched out.

Why are anime protagonist that aren't either beta faggots or a "this isn't even my final form" faggot so rare?
>>
File: Stan.png (2MB, 1203x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Stan.png
2MB, 1203x1500px
Can't help but think of this guy
>>
>>145071335
k
>>
>>145071413
Really? The closest thing I can think of is the cliff scene, which isn't the same. He's made decisions to make an effort to overcome adversity, but this time trying wasn't enough; he had to face his own flaws and self loathing in order to grow enough as a person to tackle this problem.

It's similar, yeah, but that was more of a band-aid fix than the lasting and real change that this episode is supposed to incite.
>>
>>145071833
Meh. I'll wait until it's over to see what people say. If it improved I'll watch the rest.
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.