[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the most grand and powerful work of japanese animation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

Is this the most grand and powerful work of japanese animation?
>>
no it isn't, but it's still pretty grand
>>
>>144821314
Akira is probably better on a technical level but NGE is pretty damn good.
>>
File: End of Evangelion.jpg (2MB, 1800x1690px) Image search: [Google]
End of Evangelion.jpg
2MB, 1800x1690px
>>144821619
>no it isn't
Yup, it is. It's strong both in terms of the personal narrative conveyed in it and the large-scale narrative. It invokes such a wide ray emotions that's just fuckin silly: disgust, confusion, sadness, anger, hope, tension hapiness and awe. It has segments of beautiful animation and some of the best direction and especially in terms of shot composition ever produced in this medium.
>>
>>144821651
Sure, Akira had more money and thus better animation quality throughout. But the other aspects of the visual direction were stronger in Akira. I mean the framing is Kubrick-tier and the editing is Godard-tier in EoE.

Akira had cool action animation. Eva had that albeit less but Akira had nothing like the scenes of visualized introspection in EoE that we see during third impact. The human mind never looked so fuckin great and weird in animated cinema.
>>
>>144821767
no there are still movies grander

and narrative was it's major fault, being the lead up to something that was occurring mostly in the background throughout the series leaving the audience and protagonist not knowing what's going on.

>you can understand if you pay attention!
it's the directors job to make sure the narrative is followed, it's why people call Michael Bay a hack
>>
Perfect Blue does everything better.
>>
>>144821861
>>Sure, Akira had more money and thus better animation quality throughout. But the other aspects of the visual direction were stronger in Akira
What did he mean by this?
Akira was less all over the place and more focused. EVA was trying to deal with the entirety of the human mind, mankind's reason to exist, its future etc. Akira was just dealing with power in its rawest form and had probably the best animation done to this day and influenced nearly any science fiction visuals that came after it.
>>
>>144821314
Wings of Honneamise was better
>>
>>144821902
The confusion that arises is part of the experience. You're literally calling one of its strongest points a flaw.
>>144821958
You just repeated yourself and added a point just adds to the strength of Eva.
>>
I hated the actual Evangelion but for some reason liked End of Evangelion
>>
>>144821314
Yes.
>>
>>144823591
Tang is pretty good.
>>
>>144823591
I disliked Eva up to the point Asuka arrived

>much needed comedy relief
>Shinji too annoyed by her bitchiness to do his daily whining
>doesn't take Shinji's bullshit and just straight up calls him a faggot

she a bitch, but she saved Eva for me
>>
>>144823591
Same here.
My guess is that there is no way I'll ever enjoy the "monster of the week" format.
>>
File: 6423512353246443.png (441KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
6423512353246443.png
441KB, 640x480px
>>144821314
yes, and the most powerful work of art.
>>
Yes, especially if you watched it at a certain time in your life, as in early teens or in a time of equal mental stress. Maybe as people age, they start to lose the initial impact of something of EoE. But seeing it for the first time is a feeling I haven't been able to recreate watching any media since, and that's pretty cool for an anime.
>>
>>144824197

She arrived when Shinji was getting better, though, and their early interactions showcase that. I liked that one moment when Shinji starts pitying himself for second in the Magma Driver episode when he figures he has to do it because, but Asuka ends up doing it.
>>
>>144824341
Well that's probably just your personal taste, but NGE has so much going on besides the baddie of the week that I can't understand why it would turn you off. There is a palpable feeling of dread and impending doom from the Angels that is so different from the usual "and then the heroes beat this bad guy, until next time".
>>
>>144821314
>Is this the most grand and powerful work of japanese animation
It isn't. Girls und Panzer der Film is.
>>
File: VivreSaVieRecordShop1Baja.jpg (41KB, 620x367px) Image search: [Google]
VivreSaVieRecordShop1Baja.jpg
41KB, 620x367px
>>144821861
>editing is Godard-tier
confirmed for never seeing a godard. back to reddlt with the little baby
>>
File: a38.gif (548KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
a38.gif
548KB, 500x377px
>>144823514
>>
>>144824853
You're right, it's better.
>>
>>144824532
I didn't really start watching anime until I was 18. I never related to Shinji but I did feel sorry for him.
>>
So I'm about to start watching show, Does /a/ like it?
>>
File: 1469658118498.jpg (160KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1469658118498.jpg
160KB, 1024x576px
>>144825561
why are you name dropping directors whose work you've never seen?

I'd really love to see you try and name drop some anime that you personally think comes close to or surpasses EoE in whatever way
>>
>>144825838
Lurk at least 4 months before posting, newfriend
>>
>>144821314
I'd say yes.

Another good candidate is The Wind Rises. Millennium Actress was pretty powerful too.

Akira is amazing visually and in world building but the pacing and characterisation are a total mess.
>>
>>144826146
Stop replying to obvious bait anon, just ignore him.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.