[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do nips suck so much at writing? Say what you want about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: vlcsnap-2016-07-25-19h48m06s913.png (1MB, 1440x1088px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-25-19h48m06s913.png
1MB, 1440x1088px
Why do nips suck so much at writing? Say what you want about western shows but at least they can handle the exposition properly.
>>
>>144692146
i've always thought it's more incompetence of the translator then the writer. since it always seems like more high budget anime have a lot better exposition/dialogue or the like. i may be wrong
>>
>>144692365
What? Even if that sentence was more fluid, it would still be shitting all over the "show, don't tell" rule. This also wasn't the first time in that series there was something like this, in fact it was the third time that episode.
>>
Because, with adaptations at least, if you don't include every single inner monologue you get bitched at for not being faithful.
>>
>>144692800
E7 is anime original.
>>
>Shitting on E7
I should cut your toes off right now
>>
>>144692146
I don't think E7 is a series that can be blamed for having uncalled
>>
>>144692592
>"Show don't tell"
I kind of dislike nerds like you that treat scriptwriting as something that has universally necessary golden rules without realizing everything is up to the context. For example LoGH is a great example of good series that totally shits on your ruleset.

Haven't watched the anime in question looks like Eureka, I don't know? but you should probably realize your shitting on something that's essentially aimed at teenagers. I don't badmouth Teletubbies and the storytelling aspects as it obviously panders to certain audience.

tl;dr you're a retard and I bet you use tvtropes
>>
>>144692975
>high school politics in space
>good
>>
>>144692946
*exposition nor walls of text.
>>
>>144692880
Never watched E7, but I think it was a show for kids who you need to explain everything to. Plus it's 50 episodes and you have to stretch it out somehow.
>>
>>144692146
>vlcsnap
Fuck off back to whichever western media board you came from, newfag.
>>
>>144693089
I bet you have seen less than 50 series including OVAs and movies
>>
>>144693089
This at least kind of reveals your opinions are shit.
>>
>>144693279
Nope, now only someone who's seen less than 50 series would find spoon-feeding the animation good.
>>
>>144693225
It's for teenagers and they don't explain shit until the very end and every character except the MC seems to know more about what's going on than the viewer.
>>
>>144693405
>Nope
don't lie kid
>>
>>144693463
>no one could possibly find my poorly animated talking heads show bad
>>
File: 1466511761325.jpg (34KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
1466511761325.jpg
34KB, 500x436px
>>144693405
This is exactly the thing I was talking about. The limited view that in all fiction there exists only one "proper" way of exposition, based on nothing else than your shit opinion you probably plagiarized from someone else you considered smart.

LoGH is supposed to read like a history book. Even some of the central character deaths are essentially spoiled 10 episodes beforehand. It's completely different form of storytelling than your regular "subtle". The fact you fail to see this and consider it "shit" means you consider a large part of widely recognized fiction shit in similar fashion, and reveal your taste is shaped by absolutely modern fiction that you haven't even consumed that much.

You should broaden your horizons a bit more before acting like you have an idea what you are talking about, as frankly you seem like your existence on this site is violating very specific global rules.
>>
>>144692975
>I bet you use tvtropes
Rather I went to school and have actually read books in my life. The writer of lotgh was a historian from what I read in an interview, he became a fiction writer by chance. That's why his prose isn't polished.
>>144693131
But lots of the vital information is delivered through it. Just at the beginning of that episodes you had the villains explaining things they obviously knew to each other as well.
>>144693225
American shows for kids and teenagers are better written. You can argue if american animated works have more interesting ideas or not but at least that aspect they can handle. In fact if you use visual exposition properly it would be easier for the viewer to retain that information then some bland stretch of text that or speech that lasts a couple of seconds.
>>144693279
I myself have watched the whole thing, the ideas, scope and characters (besides the villains) were great, but it's not like its writing was that great. It's besides the point anyways, since it's an adaptation from a book. I'm talking about writers working on anime and I guess manga.
>>
>>144693707
Who fuckin cares about lotgh. However it handles it, it doesn't change the fact that the writing in most anime is bad.
>>
>>144693707
>LoGH is supposed to read like a history book.

And it's boring because of that. Why would I watch LoGH when I can just read an actual history book or watch a documentary?
>>
>>144693734
>In fact if you use visual exposition properly it would be easier for the viewer to retain that information then some bland stretch of text that or speech that lasts a couple of seconds.
Again, if you consider there's a "proper" way for exposition you are full of shit. Aside that, if you want your share of great subtle visual exposition then why are you watching a series geared towards teenage audience? Sure, you can probably cherry-pick better western series than E7 but essentially you are searching for something from a wrong place.
>>
>>144693839
For some it's the definite charm point. Subjective, I guess. Then again, if you find LoGH boring then you probably find actual history book boring too.
>>
>>144693780
But your argument wasn't initially that most anime is bad, but that nips handle exposition badly.
>"Waah every anime should handle the exposition the way I like"
>"But there's alternative methods too, check this out"
>"Who fucking cares"
You're essentially now trying to dismiss a point that proves your autistic standard of exposition isn't and shouldn't be shared universally.
>>
>>144693990
These aren't just made up, ass-pull rules. Certain things just feel universaly unnatural to people Let's look at animation. Sure, sometimes there's a reason for a character to go off-model for the purpose of comedy or action, but when we see this happening randomly without any evident purpose it's natural to treat it as a flaw. With exposition, sometimes there is a purpose. Sometimes it feels natural for people to explain things or to have discussion, obviously that happens in real life as well. But if a character says something like: "Hello XY, my childhood fried who is always gloomy but actually has a kind heart!" it feels obviously forced. In the sam way in these scenes in E7 where characters for no reason start explaining things that other characters know already.
>>
>>144694288
>autistic
You won't get anyone to treat you seriously this way.
>>
File: 1436290123412.jpg (103KB, 874x720px) Image search: [Google]
1436290123412.jpg
103KB, 874x720px
>>144694562
>Crappy irrelevant analogy about animation quality
>Makes a generalization about industry based on one example series
>The real screencap you posted doesn't even seem as bad as the over-exaggerated example at the end of the post
Okay?
>>
>>144694562
no one laughs WITH you
>>
>>144694846
Great, now you can fuck off.
>>
I can't really point out a specific reason for it, but I watched 4 episodes of E7 and found it incredibly boring. This is bearing in mind that I'm someone doesn't mind exposition at all and prefers large dumps of it at the start of a series. I loved Shin Sekai Yori, Psycho-Pass, etc.
>>
>>144694770
So you decide to ignore entire post because it has a singular word you don't like, and choose a patronizing attitude, even after the clear failure of constructing a proper counter argument?

Where do you think you are? If you can't handle buzzwords after presenting a poor opinion then what are you even doing here in the first place?
>>
>>144694972
You might be too old for it now, or you're simply not into it.
>>
>>144692975
LOGH has an execrable script. Absolutely awful. It doesn't have characters, it has hollow mouthpieces that exist only to deliver exposition and author's opinions.
>inb4 it's historical
Read some historical literature sometimes. You won't find endlessly monologuing talking heads there.
>>
Many people have asked this and the answer is simple. The best writers don't go into anime. They become fiction writers or go into either film or journalism. That's why there is such a big difference between the average writer and someone like Konaka or Enokido. They went into anime DESPITE being skilled and talented. Also, western shows have higher budgets, they can hire better writers, often several ones which makes their scripts more polished.
>>
>>144695201
>It doesn't have characters
There's even a 50+ episode OVA which has absolute character focus. But of course you didn't know this. And regarding opinions and exposition, most exposition is handled by the narrator, and the fact the entire story is about morally gray conflict does a poor job of reflecting a concrete opinion of the author, as the field of ideologies is really wide. I really can't agree with anything you presented in your post.

Why did this turn into a LoGH thread?
>>
>>144695433
Thanks, this makes sense. Kind of obvious, but it's nice that someone actually answered the question.
>>
>>144692146
If you were fluent in Nip you'd understand that Nip exposition is much better than English exposition. The problem is when they try to translate Nip into English, of course it sucks. That's what happens when you try to translate from a deeper language with lots of nuance into a superficial language like English.
>>
>>144695597
>"I'll just choose this answer that co-exists with my current views and pretend the other 35 posts don't really have discussion about the topic"
>>
How many westerner animation studios are left. All European ones died in the early 90s and most of the stuff was ordered from Japanese studios anyway.
inb4 korra
>>
>>144695433
>Also, western shows have higher budgets, they can hire better writers, often several ones which makes their scripts more polished.
Nigga stop. I was with you until that point. Of course the best writers who truly care about the stories they create will use mediums where their writing is the main focus, either literature or independant film. But block buster Hollywood films which hire multiple writers N E V E R have that kind of writing. The only reason to hire more than one writer in the first place is to have new writers edit the work of the original writer, usually in the interest of making it as crowd pleasing and riskless as possible, and the end result is simply a script which has mostly been written by people that don't actually care about the story at all and feels completely soulless. Not to mention the amount of continuity errors that arise from the lack of communication between these writers since the original writers usually don't want to be involved in the butchering of their work, or otherwise aren't allowed to in case they are understandably upset by it. Hiring multiple writers, especially ones who are used to working on multiply written scripts, never results in a more "polished" script.
>>
>>144695759
Is this bait? I seriously can't tell
>>
>>144696258
Not him, but he's kinda right. A lot of lines which sound natural in Japanese come off as awkward when literally translated into English. This is understood by everyone. But for some reason, when people see a line of expositionn that looks awkward in English, they suddenly forget this, and cry "forced exposition!!!!"
>>
File: Gundam-G-no-Reconguista.jpg (172KB, 610x863px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam-G-no-Reconguista.jpg
172KB, 610x863px
The modern audience needs to be spoonfed a story to understand it.
Pic related.
>>
>>144696258
He's half trolling you.
For starters you lose all honorifics.
>>
>>144696640
I take it Tolkien was SUCH a millenial.
>>
>>144695824
Literally no one, besides him actually answered my question in a more elaborate way. All I got was these:
>>144696640
>>144692365
>>144692800
>>144693225
>>144693225
The kids argument doesn't work since there are lots of kid shows that have better exposition and in fact with kids you'd rather want to avoid text dumps. The argument with the transliation could work if I talked about how the sentences are formed, not the basic goal behind them. It's not like in english it's an exposition dumb and in japanese it's not. The adaptation argument just makes you beg the question why are manga written like this as well so that doesn't help.
>>
>>144696640
I know this is a shitposting thread, but G-Reco shitposting is on another level and should not be brought up ever.
>>
>>144696682
>For starters you lose all honorifics.
What the fuck does that have to do with exposition?
>>
>>144697071
Found the retard.
>>
>>144694972
>Shin Sekai Yori
I thought that's one of the series that does exposition pretty well.
>>
>>144697335
You're doing it wrong.
>>
>>144692146

Honestly Ive seen enough western TV to know that just isn't true, there's plenty of shit western TV shows and the fact that people think the adaptation of Game of Thrones is the pinnacle of deep television story telling speaks volumes. Never in my life have I seen something that utterly disrespectful to the source material.

Also at least most Japanese shows that are bad don't drag on for fucking ever and ever with like 5 seasons worth of filler like a lot of western shows do.
>>
>>144697343
But then again, it's an example of firstly different target audience and secondly different form of exposition entirely with a narrator included etc.
>>
>>144697291
In Japanese, charcter Y refers to character X as "X-nii-sama". We now know that X is the older brother of Y in a way that, while formal, still isn't ridiculous in common speech.

This is translated as character Y referring to character X as "older brother X" which sounds completely unnatural in English and is never used in real life. To the ignorant, this seems like forced exposition.
>>
>>144697343
I think that a world building series like SSY is within every right of using expository dialogue and set-ups. When they were used in the opening episodes of it, my intrigue was caught and I was fascinated throughout the rest of the series bc I knew the basics of the world which it was exploring. But true enough, almost every SSY thread I see has at least one person spouting "this series is shit it doesnt follow muh show dont tell!!!!"
>>
>>144692146
What episode is that line from?
>>
>>144692146
The answer is fucking clear:

The people who go into ANIMATION are those who can draw. Being able to draw and write very well is a rare gift.
>>
>muh show don't tell
I want film students to leave.
>>
>>144698298
You're right, people nowadays are so retarded they don't even understand the Martha scene from BvS. They should have shoved an inner monologue in there instead of just letting the visuals do the work.
>>
>>144697587
Ok, but first of all nowadays most subs don't trasnlate the honorifics second of all this doesn't explain why characters will describe themselves to each other or how they'll describe events they both know of.
>>144698066
Episode 5. You can also check out the scene at the beginning.
>>144698186
They don't hire animators as scriptwriters.
>>
>>144699565
>but first of all nowadays most subs don't trasnlate the honorifics
Most people who are that ignorant of Jap culture are dubfags tho. And dubs do use "older brother X" and such a lot.
> this doesn't explain why characters will describe themselves to each other or how they'll describe events they both know of
True, that can just be bad writing. I'm just saying that in some cases ignorance can lead to the misconception of exposition being forced.
>>
It's like some of you are comparing Shakespeare plays or Cervantes to light novels.

I found some of the narration systems from Japanese light novels very entertaining. In Haruhi Suzumiya the author is constantly mixing dialogue with Kyon's first person narration (not sure who created this system). Even in the anime the result was good.

Maybe it's because most light novel adaptations try to be faithful to the source and not rape it as it happens in western movies. After all, the anime is made to promote the light novel sales in most cases, not the other way.
>>
>>144698298
I wish I could purge that and muh visual medium shitters from /a/ entirely.
>>
File: Eureka.jpg (25KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Eureka.jpg
25KB, 600x450px
this is my waifu
>>
>>144700515
I'd bang the other chick, the noisy one that isn't ugly.
>>
>>144700425
Butv what if I don't mind exposition but also want shows to remember and utilise their visual aspects?
>>
>>144699565
Some of the biggest names in industry have background as animators though.
>>
>>144701640
Like who? I can think of animators who ended up being scenario writers, (Anno, Imaishi, etc) but not script writers.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.