[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Yuu Yuu Hakusho quality progression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

File: fisch.png (2MB, 1890x1067px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fisch.png
2MB, 1890x1067px
I'm struggling to find a good shounen to watch after finishing HxH. So I started watching its creators older work, Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
I'm 16 episodes in, and so far it was disappointing, especially all of the flat antagonists.
So, will it get better later like HxH did? Should I finish it if I didn't enjoy it so far?
>>
no, it's shit
>>
>>144564549
before HxH was written people thought he peaked with YYH. It probably has the best tournament arc in all of anime, but it is obvious Togashi didn't want it to go on much longer, and the show falls off a bit afterwords.
in short it's a really good series, but has probably been surpasses by hunter x hunter at this point
>>
File: What a story.jpg (51KB, 876x208px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
What a story.jpg
51KB, 876x208px
>>144564549
>So, will it get better later like HxH did?
Nope, it's basically the most generic shonen i've ever seen.
The first arc was actually the best part of the series, it's all down hill from there
>>
>>144564549
>Find a good demograph
Also nice falseflag shit poster
>>
>>144564549
>I'm struggling to find a good shounen to watch after finishing HxH
If you're requesting a good shonen to watch, you may want to post the thread in the appropriate board >>>/wsr/
>>
File: yy.png (31KB, 517x429px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
yy.png
31KB, 517x429px
>>144564769
wat
no idea what you mean, but I really did just start watching it.

>>144564819
Oh sorry, that was just an introduction. I like to give context when asking questions.

So basicly the story will get even worse, but there will be an epic tournament later? I'm torn. I love tournament arcs, but they need to involve interesting characters.
>>
>>144564549
>Yuu Yuu
>disappointing
By all means, go back to Hiatus x Hiatus and stop asking /v/-tier questions, newfag.
>>
DELETE THIS
>>
>>144565176
I only watched 16 episodes, but so far:
-no antagonists with a story
-no explanations for why things work
-abolishment of the shows own rules (this shinigami bitch is suddenly human, but it was emphasized MC was the only spirit realmer able to interact with humans)
-illogical decisions and pauses in every fight, DB style half episode taunting
-MC fought for 5 minutes after stating "no power left", then another 5 after "now REALLY no power left" and then another 5 after calling it a third time

It had some good moments, but they were rare so far.
So yes, I am disappointed atm.
>>
Overrated shit. Also turns into DBZ towards the end. Anyone you see praising it as 10/10 is simply a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>144564549
Even if you're shitposting, I'll answer since I recently did a rewatch. YYH definitely didn't age well. The start is interesting and Yusuke getting his body back is still pretty comfy, but it's pretty bland from there up until the Dark Tournament. Pre DT has Toguro and the four demons aren't even that bad. It picks up later and even then, some fights are just bad like the Doctor's with the three students. Jesus Christ that was disgusting. The DT is just what you would expect from a tourney arc and it's arguably the best arc in the series. Sensui is hit or miss and while it was forced, Togashi did some experimenting here and there until the disgusting asspull of asspulls of the series. The last arc is another tournament arc, but I didn't dislike it. By all means, watch it just to know your not so old history.
>>
File: 1462916713872.gif (200KB, 284x288px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1462916713872.gif
200KB, 284x288px
>>144565433
Nobody told you to watch something that aged like crap for others. Nostagliafags will defend it but in the end, the plot was simplistic but driving which did the trick since most of /a/ today will derive their experience of yuyu hakusho from according to their country's dub version (e.g toonami). Camaraderie and power levels was and still is a adolescent favorite because it's so easy to understand and get into so normal folks and people who grew up watching it have that lingering feeling that it's the shit. Watching it for something it's not suppose to be meant for will derive you of any enjoyment so bitching about it is pointless, overdone even.
t. lurkm0ar fucking newfag
>>
File: yusuke.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
yusuke.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>144565055
The story doesn't get "worse". It just remains stagnant.YYH is a lot like HxH in that it eschews a focused, overarching storyline in favor of smaller, self-contained arcs. If you've read or watched HxH you should be familiar with Togashi's tendency to move from arc to arc without lingering too long on one particular plot thread. The following arcs are more interesting and have more compelling antagonists.

Really, YYH isn't known for its story. It's carried mostly by its likeable main character, charming supporting cast, amusing character interactions and strong production values. YYH is one of the better long-form battle shounen adaptations, but given the amount of hype and reverence surrounding the series, I can understand being underwhelmed, especially if you feel that it isn't living up to the praise. A great deal of the love people have for it comes from nostalgia, but there is also a lot to like about it. Perhaps try to watch up to the Dark Tournament and see if you feel any differently.

>>144565694
>some fights are just bad like the Doctor's with the three students. Jesus Christ that was disgusting
Really? I thought that was one of the better fights in the Chapter Black arc, especially the episode done by Akiyuki Shinbo.
>>
>>144565738
>t. lurkm0ar fucking newfag
Pretty fucking ironic.
>>
Thank you for your replies.
You are probably all right, it didn't age well at all, but I also had wrong expectations getting into it.

I decided to pause it for a few days to get the bad feeling out of my mouth, then binge another 16 episodes. If I then still don't enjoy it, I'll drop it.
>>
File: laugh-at-you.png (161KB, 500x313px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
laugh-at-you.png
161KB, 500x313px
>>144565851
What's ironic is that you made a shitpost thread that will die very soon.
>So I started watching its creators older work
keksimus
>>
>>144564760
>The first arc was actually the best part of the series, it's all down hill from there
isn't that true for every shounen fighter?
>>
>>144565915
What's so funny about that? I enjoyed someones work, so I looked for more and found it.

Also, the guy you replied to isn't op.
>>
>>144565923

Only the bad ones.

They start off as their own thing, then inevitably degenerate due to Dragon Ball poison.
>>
>>144565433
Then (again), stop asking /v/-tier questions, and stop adding an extra 'u' in the first two words, intentionally misspelling the name of the fucking series.
>>
>>144566117
The Japanese anime adaption uses "Yuu Yuu Hakusho" as its name and that's what I'm watching.
I don't give a shit about American version, Manga or any other adaptations/versions.
>>
>>144566355
>I don't care for the source material
Please become an hero. In all utter sincerity, by my word as a man, please, through any means possible, please become an hero. Or, at the very least, stop posting on /a/.
>>
I'm up to about the end of DT, Toguro was cool af but overall its been quite meh.
Does it pick up later or this was the peak?
>>
File: Toguro at 120%.jpg (2MB, 2037x3056px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Toguro at 120%.jpg
2MB, 2037x3056px
>>144566514
>does it pick up?
>>
>>144565803
>Really? I thought that was one of the better fights in the Chapter Black arc, especially the episode done by Akiyuki Shinbo.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Doctor's fight from the Chapter Black was very stylish and was actually pretty neat. I was referring to the Doctor that conned the sensei and brainwashed the three disciples.
>>
>>144566728

Ok then so its downhill post-Toguro
>>
>>144566816
Chapter Black is a fine arc. No, I don't have caps of that because I haven't re-read that arc yet.
>>
File: 1459361266640.png (41KB, 480x320px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1459361266640.png
41KB, 480x320px
>>144566741
>I was referring to the Doctor that conned the sensei and brainwashed the three disciples.
Oh yeah, no wonder I forgot. You're right, that fight was lame as fuck. I thought you were referring to Doctor and the three psychic jobber dudes. My bad.
>>
>yfw Hiei won it all
>>
>>144565803
Well yeah, but if you are a hardcore "Tourneyfag" and generally enjoyed ALL THE FUCKING GRAND TOURNAMENT ITERATIONS MOTHERFUCKER!" you will inevitably put up with the sloshing ocean of horseshit surrounding YYH tournies.

Especially the whole "I'm nostalgic for the magic and demons and shit from Dragonball!" bit.

There also always seems to be like, "Here, have this funny situation with Koenma and Jorge fucking around" lurking around every corner or every other corner to like, lighten things up some.

Although, be prepared for the occasional annoying shit, like Murugu.

Goddamn fucking bird. I swear to God.
>>
>>144567335
>Although, be prepared for the occasional annoying shit, like Murugu.
Fuck. So many of the YYHakushos deserve a slap.
>>
>Implying Kuwabara isn't the best character

https://youtu.be/LZeiOLPyd1A
>>
>>144565694

>the Doctor's with the three students. Jesus Christ that was disgusting

What's wrong about that when it happens all the time in real life?
>>
>>144568236
How dare people call this man a jobber. I'd like to recap the anime with one on one official fights:
>only lost to Rando on Genkai's, has at least a win prior
>beat Byakko twice
>practically beat Yo Yo Rink, but his dumbass got the best of him
>beat the ninja leader WITH THE POWER OF LOVE
>admittedly, he got fucked twice by PORTALS
>beat the Toguro Ani by smashing
>got fucked by Kaito if that counts
>cut through dimensions with Seaman and saved everyone after
Kuwa-chan is pretty based even if he isn't that strong.
>>
>>144568236
YOURAMESHI
I can't watch it dubbed now.
>>
>>144564549
>So, will it get better later like HxH did
It gets good at episode 67
>>
>>144564549
It has charming characters and is quite fun but it's definitely not as good as HxH, and the appeal of both are quite different. There's no tipping point where you realize it's less generic than you thought, like there is with HxH, but it does peak somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>144564549
I recommend reading the manga, and just keep going. If you're looking for the perfect shonen action manga, you're not going to get it. YuYu, espicially the later parts, is pure Togashi, but whether you'd enjoy depends on why you liked HXH in the first place.
>>
>>144564700
/thread
>>
>>144564730
Togashi even wrote he was selfish that he ended it early because his editors annoyed the hell out of him
>>
>>144565915
I don't think you know what shitpost means. Look at [s4s] for examples of shitposting.
>>
>>144566410
>autism
>>
>Yu Yu Hakusho
>WOW BEING A SPIRIT DETECTIVE IS FUN SHIT
>martial arts tournament
>you are actually a super saiyan demon.
>martial arts tournament
>end

fuck yu yu hakusho
>>
>>144564549
>quality
>shonen
Theres your problem
There are no good shonen
>>
>>144564760
Is the story in the pic a fanfic?
>>
>>144578199
>last martial arts tournament
>not a single good fight was showed
>skipped everything because lmao my health
>>
>Leorio = Kuwabara
>Kurapika = Kurama
>Killua = Hiei
>Gon = Yusuke
When you see
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.