[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime Movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: hunter_d.jpg (140KB, 869x556px) Image search: [Google]
hunter_d.jpg
140KB, 869x556px
Whats your opinion on Stand Alone Anime Movies? not this TV Show tie-in bullshit, but actual stories on their own. i just started to watch some of these. so far i've got
>Vampire Hunter D
>Redline
>Akira
>Mononoke Hime
>Spirited Away
>Howls moving Castle
>>
They're good.

All of those are good.
>>
>>144412063
So is your mum in bed
>>
Great but the industry is nearly dead now
>>
>>144411753
Is this a recommendation thread?
>>
>>144411753

you've just now watched 3 of the most famous ghibli films of all time? how old are you, 12?

>>144412203

not yet, but it has the potential to be
>>
>>144411753
>Vampire Hunter D
There was a manga and novel series. Not sure if they came before or after. And I think Howl was based off some old book.
>>
>>144411753

i like a lot of them and i actively watch them whenever something decent looking catches my eye. the production values that go into them usually make for a pleasant even if the actual plot is not that good.
>>
>>144412257

there was another Vampire Hunter D movie that came before Bloodlust
>>
>>144412257
It was, and Akira was based on a manga.
>>
OP you should probably watch more anime before posting here. Also lurk before posting. You'll soon realize that anime films don't get discussed here a ton because there aren't many good ones being made anymore, and the good ones that have been made have already been discussed quite a bit.
>>
>>144412317

and that one was pretty awful
>>
A lot of them are great apart form last decade or so where none of them were particularly noteworthy.

>Kon dies, we get Hasoda instead.
>Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>144411753
I was contemplating watch Vampire hunter D Bloodlust, is watching the original 1980's one a must?
I plan on reading the Manga regardless
>>
>>144411753
Watch motherfucking Sword of the Stranger right now.
>>
>>144412486
Not at all.
>>
File: studio_ghibli.jpg (48KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
studio_ghibli.jpg
48KB, 1280x800px
It's fucking depressing that these guys are no longer making films. The Wind Rises was very good (although it fell off a bit at the end), Kaguya-hime was a masterpiece, and When Marnie was There was one of the better non-Miayazaki/Takahata ghibli works. They went out with such strong movies, it makes me sad thinking what could have come in the future. They were such a constant for all those years.
>>
>>144412748
>Kaguya-hime was a masterpiece
I don't get Kaguya at all. What's so great about it?
>>
>>144412748
You know about that French co production right? The Red Turtle, it looks quite good.
>>144412950
I don't really like it either, only the first 5 minutes or so when she was a baby I loved.
>>
>>144411753
>D
>Akira
>Standalone
One is an adaptation of two novels (original D movie, which sucks and the Bloodlust one which adapts a different novel from the series, it's good) and the other is a horribly rushed adaptation of a Manga.

Neither of them are standalone material.
>>
Darkside Blues is alright
Metropolis is good
Bio Hunter was alright
Five Star Stories was weird and probably something I shouldn't watch whilst drink
Royal space force was amazing
>>
>>144413547
Isn't royal space rapist getting a sequel?
>>
>thinly veiled rec thread
You know what to do
>>
>>144413547
Spriggan was really enjoyable, I wish the manga would get translated, but the film stands fine on its own.
Anything directed by Kawajiri is pretty good, but I've yet to watch the Wind Called Amnesia.
The Golgo 13 films are brilliant, certainly worth a watch.
>>
>>144413620
I sure hope so, but I don't think modern gainax could pull it off.
>>
>>144412748
Overrated as fuck, I'd rather watch more naruto movies.
>>
>>144413638
Judging from this thread it's piss-easy to get recommendations as long as you don't actually say you're looking for recommendations. I'm sure the OP is happy considering his list is literally just babbys first anime movies.
>>
there's a lot of good films from franchises where almost none of the other material has been translated, it's quite a pain
>>
File: patlabor 2.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor 2.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Reminds me its time to go re watch some Oshii movies
>>
>>144412438
If you seriously can't think of any noteworthy movies from the last decade you should try harder.
>>144413651
>Wind Called Amnesia
Just watched that yesterday, actually, and it was pretty good, but Kawajiri only did the script. It was directed by Yamazaki, who also did FSS and the second half of Urusei Yatsura.

>>144412748
They were old and had to retire at some point, there's not much reason getting sad.
>>
>>144413983
I still need to watch midnight eye Goku, and then I'll have seen all of his major works. I need to start Urusei Yatsura, I've been wanting to for a long while.
>>
>>144412748
I love ghibli like everyone else, but after watching almost all of their shit over the years, it started to get a bit boring. They are pretty samey in themes and atmosphere. Their best shit is 20 years old anyway.

>>144412203
I'll take it. I have been out of the loop for a while, so tell me please, what's the best shit since madoka?
>>
>>144414138
Fuck off, newfag. Requests go to /wsr/.
>>
>>144414229
I am willing to bet I have been avoiding /a/ for longer than you have been here. It was recommendation threads that were frowned upon when I left, not asking a question inside a thread, but I guess /a/ got more paranoid since.
>>
Most stand alone movies are just decent. None of them really impact me very much. Ive seen almost all of Ghibli's movies, all of Satoshi Kon's, and some of Shinkai's and the only ones that really hit me were Marnie, LWA, and The Cat Returns.
>>
File: here comes the wolf.gif (987KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
here comes the wolf.gif
987KB, 500x270px
Jin Roh was pretty good.
>>
>>144411753
>Vampire Hunter D
Mah niggah.
>>
I really dislike watching them, actually. It's not that they're bad, I just think anime sets itself apart as a medium in longer series . Western movies are almost always going to be better than an anime movie, but there's no western equivalent to a long running anime series.

In a way, a lot of anime series feel like a movie plot stretched and filled out in a way that western series never do. They can be quite cinematic, I guess, but a lot of the time it just feels like the plot could be simplified and condensed into a movie length story.
>>
>>144417053
>but there's no western equivalent to a long running anime series.
Supernatural easy.
>>
File: jin roh 4.gif (997KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
jin roh 4.gif
997KB, 500x270px
>>144411753
Check out Jin-Roh. It's a little slow paced but the directing and soundtrack are amazing.

Pic related is one of my favorite film scenes in general.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.