[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yen press- Konosuba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 523
Thread images: 25

File: 1223325851.png (343KB, 587x367px) Image search: [Google]
1223325851.png
343KB, 587x367px
Can't fucking wait
>>
Really? They waste money on this FOTM shit?
>>
>>141770247
We will still get fanfiction , wont we?
>>
>>141770247
How is the manga compared to the LN? Just saw on shitter that they're releasing the manga in November and LN at a later date.
>>
>>141770277
They could have wasted it on [your favorite here].
>>
>>141770288
of course
its fanfic after all
>>
>release one volume every year at best
>drop it a few volumes in once fans inevitably get bored of waiting when there's fanlations
At least we have fanfic this time. A lot of LNs are forgotten entirely once they get licensed and then dropped.

Also, just FYI
>>141753354
>>
as long as the yen press jews dont try to DMCA i'm fine. if they shut shit down like danmachi i'll just finish what i already have and move on elsewhere.
>>
>>141770848
That's already happened.
>>
>>141770848
They obviously will.
And if they translators aren't such faggots like the one from DanMachi was, they won't stop.
>>
>>141770949
>>141770973
good, about time these LN trans grew a set and stick it to kadokawa
>>
http://skythewoodtl.com/yen_press/
fucking hell
>>
>>141771027
>LN trans
There are no LN translations. Let's be 100% clear on this.
>>
>>141771038
This is a joke, isn't it?
>>
>>141771038
And there we go, proven faggots again.
>>
>>141771038
Non-US fags again getting the short end of the stick.
>>
>>141771099
Not really, there are websites like the Book Depository.
>>
>>141770973
lol, people who don't give you free stuff are faggots now eh?
>>141770848
Sorry, but volume 9 will be the last one, just the principle I set on myself. Don't let me hold you back though, your translations are great.
>>
>>141771193
I won't even try to discuss this with you since it will results in nothing.
>>
>>141771193
>free stuff
There's a Donation link on your site.
>>
>>141771314
That's not a purchase translation button, that's a donate if you like the work that have already been done button.
>>
Just learn japanese already

fucking lazy kids I swear
>>
>>141771379
>>>a/djt/
>>
i just love how these LN trans break the law by translating unlicensed stuff, but the minute it get's licensed they wanna pull the moral high ground. spare me this nonsense please, it's textbook hypocrisy

>>141771190
>Book Depository
i'm not even going to touch this one, toostupid4me
>>
I'm just waiting for
ISBN 9781935548539
ISBN 9781935548522
myself.
>>
>>141771416
That's just drawing the line somewhere and what do you mean by moral high ground? High ground relative to who?
>>
>>141770847
actually, Yen press release 3 volumes of Index every year
>>
>>141771416
>moral highground
The reason why theyre even translating is because theyre making an accessible channel for the fans who cant read moonrunes.
Once its out in a native language its pointless for them to continue translating so now you can actually support the people who made it through an official source. And yes I know Yen Press is slow.
>>
>>141771520
4 per year, actually.
>>
>>141770847
>fanfic
I don't get it.
>>
>>141771597
3-4 volumes for each LN a year isn't slow.
>>
File: 987764387.png (44KB, 205x250px) Image search: [Google]
987764387.png
44KB, 205x250px
>>141771675
>>
>>141771685
tell that to the mahouka fags
>>
>>141770247
>another drop by sky
>>
>>141771597
I have more of a problem with their need to grab something the second it's popular despite already having way to many LN as it is also some of their translations are meh probably from giving them to their c team.
>>
>waiting 20~ years to catch up to Mahouka
no thank you yenpress.
>>
>>141771516
For people who have been reading the title through fan translations, they understandably get upset when they are no longer able to read new fan translations for the sole reason that a company will get around to localizing volumes beyond the fan translation years down the road. Especially when such things are much rarer in anime or manga due to a combination of fan translators not caring and the official efforts doing a better job of releasing titles at the same time.

They also do see it as hypocritical that a fan translation group goes out of their way to justify blatant copyright infringement, even ignoring DMCA notices in this case, until a US publisher announces it. It's understandable to draw the line somewhere and I personally don't fault you guys for doing so, but for those unhappy about the situation it's also understandable that they don't see the difference between copyright infringement before it was picked up and after it was picked up, especially because the official translations won't pick up progress wise anytime soon.
>>
>>141771597
by translating something kadokawa doesn't want them to do, licensed or not. dont pretend to give a shit about supporting the author just because of a license when you had no problem putting out their work for free against the wishes of the property holders when they weren't looking. (sometimes even excepting donations for it)

if you dont want to do it because now someone else will, fine, but let's not pretend this is about 'supporting the author'. most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases in spite of them being localized to hell or even buy the raws because they know the author will actually see a good chunk of that money. so let's also drop the "muh you just want something for free" BS.
>>
>>141770247

Are LNs genre popular in western? people buy LNs in english?
>>
>>141772309
it's a niche market and in the case of physical release, like everything else in the west, a dying one
>>
>>141772309

Considering that all the popular titles are continuing to get licensed, and that Kadokawa felt it was a worthwhile investment to acquire a controlling interest in Yen Press, someone is buying them.
>>
>>141772309
There is a lot of demand for books that middle and high schoolers can read, often called Young Adult (YA) fiction. Many LNs are suitable for that.
>>
>>141772256
>most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases in spite of them being localized to hell or even buy the raws because they know the author will actually see a good chunk of that money.

By most, do you mean 5%?

>you had no problem putting out their work for free against the wishes of the property holders when they weren't looking.

But I brought them plenty of sales according to your other point?
>>
>>141772256
>most of the people who read fantrans are the same ones buying the physical releases
Youre projecting pretty hard right there. Also, im not the translator so i dont know why youre going all ad hominem about MY intent vs whatever the fuck their intent are.
>>
>>141772585
don't bother m8, keep the good work
>>
>It's a thread where people who read the fan translation shit on YP and spout crap like 1 volume a year thread

Look, i know you guys are mad YP caused your translations to stop but the only reason that has occurred because the translators for LN's are incompetent fags who don't know about keeping their identity hidden and thus allow them to get traced.

If manga adaptions of LN's can get localised and then even still get translations without a problem of getting taken down, then that says a lot about the people who do LN's.
>>
Why do people read light novels?
They're shit.
>>
Thank god, I won't have to read the shitty fan translations now.
>>
>>141770247
>Cover not final

What did they mean by this?
>>
Jew Press needs to die in a fire
>>
>>141773065
>spout crap like 1 volume a year thread
It's not crap though, Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license.
The problem is everyone could've told him that stuff like Korean Zombie Desk Car wouldn't sell, and they still license it, release some shit and now they haven't done shit with it for almost 3 years.
>>
>>141773065
so much truth here it hurts.

guess it's time to switch to the manga community be done with this same song and dance
>>
File: 1460016250760.jpg (22KB, 206x580px) Image search: [Google]
1460016250760.jpg
22KB, 206x580px
So we have to wait ~2 years for the official volume 10?

>>141772585
Thanks for all your hard work
>>
>>141773460
It means that the final cover image is subject to change before release.
>>
>>141773460
They will probably change the title into English.
>>
>>141773065
Also
>who read the fan translation shit on YP
Do you actually think that Yen Press translations are a lot better than decent fan tl? They're not. Hell most of their translation staff used to be fan translators and not even the good ones.
>>
Isn't this old news? Why is everyone sperging about it now?
>>
>>141773065
Aimless copyright trolling is still trolling.
>>
>>141773641
They didn't have a license before, they just send a DMCA notice to skyth ewood.
>>
>>141773641
The announcement of Yen Press having the license was just made at Anime Central earlier today. Granted everyone had expected it for some time now though.
>>
>>141773605
>remembers what they did to no game no life
>they don't bother with honorifics outside of the occasional mr/ms
>they replaced names that start with R with L
>their tendency to fuck up names in general
>changed dialogue to sound more "politically correct"
>most releases dont even offer a digital format
>paper quality is rubbish
>frequent misprints

Yup, quality translations.
>>
>>141773498
>Index
>log horizon
>Durarara
>Devil is a part timer
>Accel world
>Hestia

These all have 2 or 3 volumes come out in a year.

Fuck off with your bullshit.

I look forward to the hardcover Baccano.
>>
>>141770288
>>141770435

>Great news for everyone who wants a quality translation! Yen Press has picked up this project.

>This site started because they DMCA me without licensing anything, which was just stupid.

>Now that they have licensed it, it is only right to stop since they are releasing an official version. Not right to deny the author her share of the profits.

Emphasis on
>Now that they have licensed it, it is only right to stop since they are releasing an official version.
>>
>>141773605
>decent fan tl?
Pfft do you know how rare as fuck this is?

Don't know why some of them attempted with monogartari like they are capable of handling Nisio tier shit.

Anyways i don't care, your translators are just a bunch of retarded pussys anyways so enjoy seeing your fav series get DCMA'd left and right.
>>
>>141770247
Another good series condemned to death.
>>
>>141773863
>mahouka just now getting volume 1 out even though it's been licensed for ages
> delays for multiple series including SAO progressive which was already caught up
> 2-3 releases still means upwards of 3-5 years to catch up on index, mahouka and all the other long running series they've been sitting on

>bullshit
>>
File: axatkc6.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
axatkc6.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
Don't think I'll read/buy, the voices really carried the show.
>>
>>141771520
Yen Press killed the Strike the Blood fanbase though.
>>
>>141774164
What , it had a fanbase? Anime was shit , dont know ln tough.
>>
>>141774053
>Thinking a book company can just dish out 5 or more books a year
>Not understanding moderation and sales

You don't see japs do this or even normal fiction books do it so don't be retarded.

But yeah go on, name more examples because just listing Sao isn't good enough.
>>
>>141774243
There was gonna be a LN fanbase since people were interested in reading it but Yen Press just put it on their ever growing Backlog of Licensed Novels they probably only plan to release after the Japanese Olympics which by that point, everyone stopped caring.
>>
>>141774164
Strike the blood is so garbage only the fanservice in the anime was the good points so i don't see why people would result to reading that trash in book form.
>>
>>141773498
>Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license.
When has Yen Press done this, ever?
>>
ITT: mad poorfags
>>
>>141774537
Most Of yew press releases get ripped anyway.
>>
>>141774537
People don't get mad because they are being released for money, but because it stops translations for years.
>>
>>141774300
>more examples of delays

you're kidding right?

>not understanding that digital releases aren't subject to supply and demand rhetoric companies keep spouting to keep the money in their pockets and out of the middleman's

keep drinking their koolaid. meanwhile kadokawa annouces bookwalker with hopes of simultaneous releases. they can and eventually will be able to put out content faster, but by then they will be able to dictate how you read it via their awfull apps and DRM ridden formats.

but go ahead and keep being a sheep
>>
>>141773897
I like to put emphasis on
>Vanir fanfic will be uploaded starting next week, and fanfic 9 will be the last volume to be worked on.

Thank you Sky.
>>
>>141774769
Damn you really are delusional and don't know how shit works huh?

You seem mad to be disregarding basic grammer too but regardless, I won't be mad if that brings in more official translations so whatever.
>>
>>141775022
>grammer
Nice try.
>>
where's my fucking second season?
>>
>>141773863
You realize they own a lot more than your cherry picked examples?
>>
File: 1296877889055.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1296877889055.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
>>141770247
>Yen Press's shitty localization
>>
Thanks, OBAMA!
>>
By the way Death March LN and manga got picked up by yen press too.
>>
>>141770247
Another great LN dead because of nigger-press.
>>
By the way is jcafe kill? Cant go there for more than a week. And here i was waiting for the no game no life translation update.
>>
>>141773501
Basically yes. 2 years at minimum. Holy shit this sucks.
>>
DONT STOP THE FANFIC PLEASE
>>
>>141773897
If that is their reasoning, how do they morally justify translating titles that anyone with half a brain knows are going to be licensed just because they haven't made the official announcement yet?
>>
I hope you people realize that you can't fight with them to make them continue. At most you can ask and hope
>>
I wonder when Vertical will announce what they picked up after that poll in April.
>>
Too bad, the fanfic was great
>>
>>141776767
Everyone will have big announcements at AX.
>>
>>141776767
They'll only do that next year.
>>
I still don't understand why translators don't have a dark-net hub yet. IPFS is perfect for this shit, it's already usable for (static content) and everyone can access the resources unlike TOR.

You would think after translations getting shut down so frequently translators would band together to make something DMCA-proof.
>>
>>141774321
Not wanna sound crazy, is it true by all means to have first volume after the Japanese Olympics.

I didn't know we had a fanbase dedicated to StB.
>>
>>141772256
You're being retarded. Most translators TL stuff because they enjoy the series and want to spread the word. While it may be illegal (or at least, in a legal gray zone), the fact is that once something gets licensed one of the main reasons you're doing it - to help spread the work - is moot. That said, in some cases it makes sense to continue a fanTL because licensed releases will often take ages to catch up to the fan TL and will never catch up to the current Japanese release, but that is up to the discretion of the translator. As for me I never drop a series I'm working on because it got licensed but I can completely understand why somebody would do it. There's always more stuff to work on; if something is going to be translated by somebody else anyway, and officially, there isn't much point in wasting your time when you can put effort into helping spread some other author's work. You are assuming that translators think about things the same way you do, when they don't.
>>
>>141777058
We're just looking at this from our perspective, which equals to NO NEW KONOSUBA FOR YEARS, and it hurts anon
>>
How much would it hurt Yen Press to start translating from the start and from where fan-translations ends at the same time?
Or slightly more realistic: start from the beginning and from the next volume released in Japan.
I know that in a lot of cases these options are identical.
>>
>>141777337
It's impossible for them to do that because they would be legitimizing the fan tl, which they don't
>>
From what I'm reading this is just disheartening

If Yen Press and Kadokawa think this a smart plan to eliminate fan translation as business step. They are nothing full of shit. You translations and fans need to stick and fight for you love the most.
>>
>Tap continued translating SAO with no DMCA takedowns
>Drunken Wolf continued translating Spice and Wolf with no DMCA takedowns
>ultimatemegax translated Haruhi volume 10 with no DMCA takedown
>livejournal translator continued translating Maou-sama with no DMCA takedowns

I think Danmachi is literally the only one in recent years (i.e. not the original C&Ds sent to Baka-Tsuki for Haruhi, Spice and Wolf, and Book Girl) that got hit with a cease and desist from Yen Press. Possibly because Danmachi was on volume 4 while YP was on volume 1, whereas all the others are currently many more volumes ahead.
>>
>>141772585
Alright faggot I'm gonna be paying you up front in bitcoin for fanfics to continue. How about it?
>>
>>141777377
Except that Yen Press has left the SAO translations, the Hataraku Maou-sama translations alone, and the S&W translations alone.
>>
>>141773498
>Yen Press is notorious for licensing shit, releasing 1 volume, seeing it doesn't do as well as they expect it to do and then they drop it while keeping the license
That's not Viz Media or Tokyopop. Yen Press actually releases what they license, even shit that sold badly like Bungaku Shojo.
>>
>>141774321
>but Yen Press just put it on their ever growing Backlog of Licensed Novels they probably only plan to release after the Japanese Olympics
They're steadily releasing one volume every four months since September 2015.
>>
>>141777536
The fanfic is pretty good, why would you care about Yen Press? This literally just means a few years of no new content
>>
>>141771038
someone remind me again why the fuck LN translators just give up when series is licensed to a north american publisher? crunchyroll and funimation sub all of their shows on their own and yet fansubbers still persist
>>
>>141777631
>The fanfic is pretty good, why would you care about Yen Press?
Have you compared the Maou-sama fan translation to the official translation from Yen Press? Yen Press's version is actually funny.
>>
>licensing LN which already has fantrans
I kind of hate their move, they're just like Sekai Project of LN.
>>
>>141776767
Vertical has his hands full whit bakemonogatari this 2016
>>
>>141774387
Konosuba is the same.
>>
>>141777631
>This literally just means a few years of no new content
Don't be stupid, somebody will pick it up if only for the e-peen. This has been happening with for years when it comes to popular series that Yen Press licenses. See: Haruhi, S&W, SAO.
>>
>>141777682
Anime fansubbers went through this a decade ago and only those who don't give a shit and those who translate ancient titles remained afterwords.
>>
>>141777768
That would be great, but can we actually expect the same quality?
>>
>>141777682
It's not just LN translator, but it's also Manga and even Eroge.
>>
>>141777695
They have two options most of the time.
License stuff without a fan translation, or license stuff that actually sells.

>>141777700
They had a poll where people could write in an LN they wanted to be licensed, so they are clearly planning to pick up more stuff.
>>
>>141777682
90% of fansubbers do it for the efame and dick sucking
>>
File: Kidding me.jpg (51KB, 542x466px) Image search: [Google]
Kidding me.jpg
51KB, 542x466px
>Blaming Companies for Fans translations for being discontinued when the fucking translator can still do it regardless

Gosh people are so retarded.
>>
>>141773897
>implying any jap author gets gross points on western sales
Good one /a/, you're totes "supporting" the author.
>>
>>141777951
Can you even read? Vol 9 will be the last volume they will translate, retard.
You're the one who retarded here.
>>
>>141777878
To be fair, while eroge usually stops because when something is picked up, the fanTL team usually works directly with the company who picked up a license.
>>
>>141777960
i dont care about supporting the author fampai, she is already doing quite well in nipland i just want my konosuba desu
>>
>>141777951
Official translations a shit. A SHIT.
>>
>>141777951
If Yen Press didn't decide to translate an already well translated series we would still continue to get timely translations
>>
>>141778010
I'm still waiting Chrono Clock and Wagamama. And moogy-dono finishing Subahibi with Sekai Project.
>>
Holy shit, Did Yen Press just post on /a/?
>>
Remember what happened to Danmachi? Fantrans died by DMCA and everyone who didn't want to give shekels to Yen Press lost interest. Not only that, but the more series they add the slower translating everything else gets and the quality of the translations is in question (do they localize it or do a faithful translation with honorifics? Couldn't know, I don't give shekels to YP).

This comes down to translators not hosting translations on something that doesn't fucking burn down when a single DMCA notice comes through, the fansub scene has already existed for fucking years and they still can't make a goddamn DMCA-resistant hub. This is not the fucking NSA or FBI that's after them to shut them down, the publishers can't do shit if you host the translations on some site on TOR or something like IPFS.
>>
>>141778157
No.
>>
>>141777996
I think you can't read. This whole thread is full of bitching about it in general.

>>141778093
Doesn't matter, same shit happens with manga and everything still goes smoothly. LN translators just always feel like giving up for some retarded reason, like you begin to wonder if they even liked the series they worked on at all.
>>
>>141776531
Exact same fucking situation as Accel World, where it's taken them like 2 years to catch up to the point where the fan translated stuff was up to.

And at that exact point, they drop their release rate to something like 2 per year. I'll still buy the fucking books but YP Licenses generally kill's the established fanbase because they take so long to release "new" content that everyone's moved on.
>>
Any reason to hate official releases that is not "muh DMCA'd fan translations"?
>>
File: 1304256883177.png (174KB, 359x400px) Image search: [Google]
1304256883177.png
174KB, 359x400px
Do people not WANT to read a translation of Gifting that didn't come via Singlish by way of Mandarin?
>>
>>141778213
>LN translators just always feel like giving up for some retarded reason
They don't want to impact themselves getting a job there.
>>
I should really fucking learn japanese
>>
File: 1463346712189.jpg (56KB, 415x395px) Image search: [Google]
1463346712189.jpg
56KB, 415x395px
Bring in Hakomari faggot ass YP instead of always bringing garbage that aired recently.
>>
>>141778175
I haven't seen a single honorific in any of the YP LNs I have.
>>
>the Slow Press
>AGAIN
Jesus fucking christ
Why does sky quit anyway? Wasn't the whole fucking point of the new site to avoid DMCA?
Good thing I finally started learning moon fuck this shit
>>141778234
No, people don't want to read a translation of possibly questionable quality (see NGNL) after waiting fucking years for it to catch up.
>>141778232
No, besides the fact that they're incredibly slow, not always of good quality, and always years behind.
>>
File: 1463144726505.gif (2MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463144726505.gif
2MB, 280x200px
Why do yen press not just commision the fan translator since he has already done 9 volumes. Pay for his work and they can reap in a load of money quick before the hype dies down. they really have no head for business!
>>
Who else here can't read psycome thanks to jewpress?
>>
>>141771675
It's a FANFIC of Konosuba, there is not much to get
>>
>>141778175
I second this we need a fan-translations project/website by anons, only anons who don't give a fuck against DMCA or stupid bullshit.
>>
>>141778232
They're usually localized as fuck.
>>141778332
The Jew Press makes everything disappear.
>>
>>141778305
>people don't want to read a translation of possibly questionable quality (see NGNL)
With the breakout popularity of Konosuba, they're more likely to put someone of actual capability on it like they did for SAO and Index, especially if Kadokawa has a say in it.

>>141778332
Read the first four volumes long ago.
>>
File: horo~~n.jpg (8KB, 150x193px) Image search: [Google]
horo~~n.jpg
8KB, 150x193px
>>141778232
Back in the Tokyopop days they had horrible release schedules and were dropped at random. The last official LN release problem I can think of was the debacle with the first couple volumes of Spicy Wolf, which Yen Press did go back and fix after getting a lot of shit from fans.
>>
>>141778306
It's all about the greed nigga
>>
>>141778370
>Index
Where are they up to in Index?
>>
>>141778349
>They're usually localized as fuck.
This is not a bad thing. See: Maou-sama. What the fuck do you want to read broken English translations from Chinese for?
>>
>>141778332
Psycome got Editor'd at volume 6.

He ends up with Gasmask, obviously.
>>
>>141778305
You forget that non burguers are utterly fucked since if the shipping doesn't kill us, the coin change does
>>
>>141778415
Localized and correctly translated are not the same thing smartass.
>>141778443
This as well.
>>141778389
Season 3 never.
>>
>>141778413
>Where are they up to in Index?
Volume 7 due in June.

>>141778418
I thought he ended up with Rusty because Gasmask was comatose?
>>
>>141778404
They should at least be efficiently greedy. At least yen press don't meme us into oblivion like seven seas.
>>
>>141778415
>This is not a bad thing
I hope you are joking
>>
>>141778415
I'd rather a good translation than either of those. Which if you're actually paying money for, you should get.
>>
>>141778457
Wait what? I just don't know then.
>>
>>141778457
>Volume 7 due in June.
>volume 7 due in June
>this is why they demanded all of Old Testament to be removed
epic
>>141778415
Someone post the fansubbing comparison with 4kids
>>
>>141778443
Can't someone just upload it?
>>
File: horo denied.jpg (307KB, 993x1400px) Image search: [Google]
horo denied.jpg
307KB, 993x1400px
>>141778454
To be fair, it would require multiple seasons to cover the "essential" content from the books, and they'd have to go back and cover Elsa's introduction since they skipped that book.
>>
>>141778443
>the coin change does
Not in Euroland. Also, unless you want the physical copy, you can buy the digital version.
But if you were reading the fan-translation, why do you care about physical copies at all?
>>
File: IMG_20150425_201057.jpg (40KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150425_201057.jpg
40KB, 1024x576px
>>141778306
>Pay a fan translator who literally went on google translate then edited out minor stuff

My fucking sides they deserve jack shit most of the crap on Baka tsuki.
>>
>>141778538
Which is why you spend so much time translating that all hype and interest dies right
>>
>>141778443
Bookdepository has free worldwide shipping.

>>141778470
I am not joking. Aside from the loss of honorifics Yen Press doesn't generally insert dumb memes and donuts like Commie does. They did good work with SAO, and they are actually doing SAO Progressive on time, which the fan translators would have finished by about 2025.
>>
>>141778538
I didn't mean just shove that shit straight out but buying the "work" of the fan translator will undoubtedly speed up the production schedule.
>>
>>141778581
>I am not joking
Localization is literally exclusive to accuracy, I hope you realize that.
>>
>>141778555
LN is a dead medium here regardless and this hype you speak is like what? 300 or so people possible reading that shit? Get real no one deserves to be paid for bad work.
>>
>>141778443
Where is shipping and coin change a problem?
I get all my manga and LN pretty cheap from a Scandinavian website with free shipping.
>>
Yeah so I'll buy the first manga print like I did "No Game No Life," Then YP will get distracted with the next flavor of the month and release volume 2 and 3 as LNs only. Yen Press is to manga what Funimation is to anime.
>>
Is it so hard to publish fan translations on the internet when the series get licensed?
I mean, hosting them on a website will result in a take down, but isn't there any other way? Like torrents?
>>
>>141778653
No e-peen to be had that way
>>
Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.

It's been over 5 fucking years maybe close to 10 now. Either finish it or let someone else do it by this point.
>>
>>141778333
I don't get why would anyone care about fanfiction and why I see it ever fucking time I come in a Konosuba thread. I must have missed something.
>>
>>141778653
>hosting them on a website will result in a take down
Like fuck it will, there exist other websites besides wordpress and blogspot
>>
>>141778653
There are loads of ways, which is why it's retarded that some translator hasn't done that yet. Tor, IPFS, torrent, etc..
>>
File: 1460172177191.jpg (149KB, 637x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460172177191.jpg
149KB, 637x480px
>>141778581
>Yen Press doesn't generally insert dumb memes
>>
>>141778306
Why pay when you can use it for free? I remember when man-ga here in italy stole low quality with shitty grammar subs for highschool of the dead.
>>
File: 1463225993482.jpg (26KB, 328x466px) Image search: [Google]
1463225993482.jpg
26KB, 328x466px
>>141778734
>>141778581
>he doesn't like memes
>>
>>141778622
>Actually wanting to pay for garbage shit straight out of baka tsuki

But listen anon, that translator does not own the series and has no copyright crap on his translations. There is no "Kind" business that would pay for shit like that out of goodwill.
>>
>>141778770
>having Sora say 1337 gamer is a good meme
>>
>>141778671
>Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.
Yes it is
>>
>>141778625
Localization is about equivalence of spirit, tone, and the reader experience. Literal translations do not automatically result in accuracy, you humungous pillock.

Can you imagine a translation of an English work into another language being literal when translating shit like "make like a banana and split" or "it's up in the air" or "have no clue"? How the fuck would that make any sense?
>>
>>141778671
>Spice and Wolf still isn't translated in it's entirety by Yen Press.
It is.

>or let someone else do it by this point.
Someone else did do it, and Yen Press left them alone.
>>
>>141778829
Most of these idiots complaining about localization don't even know Japanese and are just throwing fits about lack of honorifics.
>>
>>141778829
That's not what complaints about localization refer to and you know it faggot.
>>
>>141778810
>>141778869
No it's not I jus-

oh... well shit. I guess it's been quite a while since i've checked. I retract my previous statement and hang my head in shame.
>>
>>141778888
nice quads.

But really, I don't give a shit about the lack of honorifics as long as the translated text flows properly and doesn't make shit up. What I do give a shit about is having to wait 2-3 years to read new content, since it's long established that I'll never fucking be able to read japanese.
>>
>>141770247
>Yen Press picks up another LN despite being unable to translate the ones they already have on time.
Figures
>>
>>141771193
hey Sky, since Setsuna is such a shit, would you translate Bahamut please? preferably volume 8-9
>>
It is as if you want the pussy LN translators to shut down.
>>
Yew Press is evil
>>
>>141778829
Accurate translations are not literal translation. 'it's up in the air' does not literally mean it's up in the air, which is why you replace it with a term that means roughly the same thing.
I've never read YP so I don't know how they localize, but technically replacing sushi with oreos is localizing and nobody would find that okay.
>>141778994
Mainly this. I'm going to learn Japanese if it fucking kills me
>>
>>141778994
>it's long established that I'll never fucking be able to read japanese
The only way to lose is to give up.
>>
File: IMG_20160520_012838-1.jpg (108KB, 663x398px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_012838-1.jpg
108KB, 663x398px
>Reading ongoing LN's that come out twice a year in nipland

Give me on good excuse to reading LN's while they are ongoing and not just wait for the end.

Last LN I've read that was ongoing was Tokyo ravens and there still hasn't been any damn translations in a year.
>>
>>141779106
It's horrible. And manga fags complain about lack of updates :^)
>>
>>141779106
If you started learning nip you'd be able to read fine.
if not it's because you'd get hit with shit like Index where the Jewish Press orders a takedown.
>>
>>141779106
>one good reason to read ongoing LNs

Impatience.
>>
Has anyone else tried the Heisig method out? It's good for being able to understand, but not really read passages.
>>
>>141779106
To be*
>>
>>141779045
>I've never read YP so I don't know how they localize
Oh, so you're complaining about shit that you didn't read.

>but technically replacing sushi with oreos is localizing
Yeah, and technically your mom is a form of whore but that doesn't mean anyone is actually paying her for sex.

Shit, if you want to actually read a decent Yen Press localization for free then go download the Maou-sama or Index epubs from the sekrit club.
>>
>>141770247
See you in 2030!
>>
>>141779183
Heisig method is fucking retarded. There is no good reason to deliberately refrain from learning how to pronounce kanji while learning the meanings and will impair your ability to listen to anime.
>>
>>141779106
This.

Series Like Konosuba look like it'll never end so i don't bother reading that shit.
>>
>>141779183
It's a fucking retarded method. Just memorize them and the shit comes naturally, it's only useful when you suddenly find a kanji you don't recognize and want to guess it without booting up a dictionary.

>>141779200
>Oh, so you're complaining about shit that you didn't read.
I'm not even someone complaining about YP you fucking moron, but great job slinging your mom insults hahaha fucking epic XDDd :p >>>/b/
I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy, because it actually fucking is.
>>
>>141779275
It shouldn't be too far away from ending actually
>>
>>141773842

Are you shitting me?
>>
>>141779153
How long could it take until I'm able to understand LNs?
>>
Who gives a shit anyway? There's already 8 volumes translated and I'll bet the series won't even go on for much longer.
>>
>>141779183
Studying kanjis individually is useful for word retention. However, the best way to do it is to study vocabulary and only focus on kanjis that make up words you find difficult to memorize.
Studying even simple kanjis individually, as in the Heisig method, is kind of a waste of time in my opinion.
>>
>>141779327
What makes you think that, they've gotten rid of only 2 Demon Generals (Vanir and Wiz are alive) out of the 6 needed to make the barrier die.
What would the endgame even be? Kazuma gives no shits about killing the Demon King.
>>
>>141779275
They all end eventually.
I have a series with 80 volumes in my cellar.
Got through ca. 50 of them before I suddenly forgot I was reading it.
>>
>>141779314
>I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy
Yes, using an incredibly facetious definition of "localization" that equates the entire process to replacing onigiri with donuts instead of recognizing the existence of a spectrum.
>>
>>141779406
I don't think Vanir is supporting the barrier anymore. After all, he's Vanir II now. Vanir I died back then.
>>
Didn't YP kill the mahouka fanbase alone?
>>
>>141779387
a month if you got nothing, absolutely nothing else to do, and invest 100% of your time awake just crunching efficiently. Obviously, you'll spend that time reading/watching things you want to be able to understand as well.

Or it could take years if you don't actively put in the time. There's no fixed estimate for how long it takes to learn a new language that has very little in common with what you already know.
>>
>>141778418
>Psycome
Just one volume more and its the end. I just want to see the ending.
>>
>>141779387
If you study 20 new words a day, in one year you should be able to understand them, but it's gonna be very slow and hard at the beginning.
However you should start to read native material after 3-4 months of studying. That's the best way to learn a language.
>>
>>141779314
>I'm only telling you that localization actually is opposed to accuracy, because it actually fucking is.
No, creating a text that flows and doesn't make shit up necessitates a measure of localization, or else you just get literally accurate but effectively inaccurate translations. Swapping ramen for burgers is just one thing that may be chosen to be done in the localization process, but is not itself the core of the process.
>>
>>141779485
A lack of new material leads to poor discussion, so I can only imagine.

At least Youjo Senki is too anti-PC for YP to pick up without ANN throwing a shit fit like they did with KnJ.
>>
>>141773897
>Not right to deny the author her share of the profits.
What share of what profits
>>141779447
Translating shit like 'up in the air' literally would be an incorrect translation, the correct version would be to use either the plain, non-saying version or to find a similar phrase. I count that as part of translation, not localization.
Replacing Sensei with Teacher is also localization and compromises on accuracy, but it's such a small loss that it doesn't matter that much and you might not even know there IS a loss. I chose an extreme example to make sure you got the point, but you still managed to miss it.
>>141779479
Isn't he just trolling?

>>141779387
Two months if you work at it.
>>
>>141779408
They'll end when I'm a 60 yo fag and don't give a shit about jap media.
>>
>>141779509
>a month
How can anyone make it one month? You can cram all of Tae Kim and study like 200 words a day, but there's no way you're gonna retain all that in such a short time
>>
>>141779599
Translation doesn't mean literal translation though, unless you're counting even changing the grammatical structure of sentences as part of localization.
>>
>>141779618
It's Vanir after all, so who really knows?
>>
>>141779696
His masks are serious business. He wouldn't bullshit about being Vanir II.
>>
>>141779528
Was volume 3 the one in the woods?
I'm pretty sure that was the last one I read.
>>
>>141779651
You cram it all and study 200 words a day then start reading WNs, which means you're now applying the knowledge and can actually remember it.
I dunno, I used two and a half months of cramming with a week of slacking off in the middle and made it enough to be reading Jashin Average which isn't really one of the hyper difficult WNs but not a baby one either.
>>
>>141779485
And Danmachi, and Log Horizon, and Hataraku Maou, and Index (original), and Haruhi, and No Game No Life, and Strike the Blood, and sword art online, and they will kill many many more in the future.

Darknet hosting FUCKING WHEN already?
>>
Yen Press a shit.
>>
>>141779618
>Translating shit like 'up in the air' literally would be an incorrect translation, the correct version would be to use either the plain, non-saying version or to find a similar phrase. I count that as part of translation, not localization.
Yeah, well, we're operating on two different definitions of localization because to me localization also includes replacing turns of phrase and idioms and slang with equivalents that make sense.

>Replacing Sensei with Teacher is also localization and compromises on accuracy, but it's such a small loss that it doesn't matter that much and you might not even know there IS a loss.
No, it enhances accuracy, because your average English-speaker doesn't understand the term "sensei" the way a Japanese person would. If you left it as "sensei", they would think of a martial arts instructor, and be confused as fuck when it actually refers to a teacher or a doctor.

>I chose an extreme example to make sure you got the point, but you still managed to miss it.
No, you're missing the point that localization includes even the most basic of translation adjustments needed for proper equivalence, which are not inherently opposed to accuracy, and chose instead to parrot the 4kids boogeyman.
>>
>>141779765
>Log Horizon
You can blame the double whammy of Snail Press and DEEEEEEEN for that.
>>
>>141779765
>Index
>Gets daily threads here
>>
>>141779651
just some shit someone bragged about in a DYT at some point. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, though retaining all that is gonna be a bitch regardless of wether you add new 20 words per day or 300. The key, imo, lies in using the acquired knowledge through reading, rather than be satisfied that a computer program now declares that you "remember" a word.
>>
I wouldn't mind so much but this is all they do. When was the last time they didn't license something following a popular anime adaptation or popular fan translations?
They start something, they just snatch it away when it's popular. Why not take a gamble on something newer for once and keep it up as close to date as the Japan release as possible?
>>
>>141777021
Because they want money from ads since donations ain't cutting it
>>
>>141779836
Well yeah, luckily New Testament is a separate series, would be a shame if YP licensed it now wouldn't it?
>>
File: 1453199413981.png (541KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1453199413981.png
541KB, 704x528px
You know what smacks it? The series I'm seeing people complain about are some garbage entry level shit like holy fuck the amount of shit taste in thread.

Whatever YP is doing good on them for killing this cancer.
>>
I want Yen Press devs to leave.
>>
>>141779888
You mean it's hard to make a blog where they can point to for donations? WOW, SO HARD, WHAT IS TECHNOLOGY?
>>
>>141770294
It's totally shit. There are lots of things they changed there. One instance is that Aqua acts like she's in love with Kazuma.
>>
>>141779805
>No, you're missing the point that localization includes even the most basic of translation adjustments needed for proper equivalence
Which I count as part of translation. If we're operating on two different definitions then there's not much to talk about I guess.
>If you left it as "sensei", they would think of a martial arts instructor
They do? Normals at my old high school knew perfectly well that sensei could mean teacher.

>>141779765
>Index
>Haruhi
>SAO
These three are alive and well though. Or well, Haruhi is alive in the way that a zombie begging for Season 3 is alive.

>>141779894
NT looks to be almost done though.
>>
Remember.

Kadokawa bought Yen Press.

This means they want the LNs out properly. And not just fucking delays.
>>
File: 1462504817762.jpg (51KB, 305x303px) Image search: [Google]
1462504817762.jpg
51KB, 305x303px
>>141779927
Hi there, anonkun! I heard you had impeccable taste so I wanted to know what types of LNs you liked.
>>
>>141779765
They don't kill anything.
The translators who stop kill it.
>>
>>141779894
Nah.

NT has been pretty shit lately so wouldn't really care at this point and nips seem to lose interest too. Not to mention the discussion in the threads are just full of frenda spamming memes and waifu war crap.

Series should have ended with OT.
>>
>>141779406
3: dullahan, slime and chimera tranny.
>>
>>141780062
Forgot the slime.
>>
>>141770847
Most of Yen Press's light novels get three volumes a year, though.
SAO gets 6, if you count the spin-off (though they already caught up to the spin-off)

>>141771520
Index gets four

>>141779979
>And not just fucking delays.
Possibly. But I somehow doubt we'll get a significant improvement in release speed.
>>
>>141779996
You don't need to mention the obvious, we know translators are lazy fucks in anything, but translating and even that is questionable.

The only reason they stop is because they can't be bothered to host on a darknet site or because one does not exist.

Their precious donation buttons can still exist and can easily be mentioned where they can be found, they have no excuse.
>>
>>141780110
>Their precious donation buttons can still exist and can easily be mentioned where they can be found, they have no excuse.
I'll be honest though, does anyone actually buy them a coffee? I mean, I personally donate at random but...
>>
>>141780097
They need to impress Kadokawa though.

The fact that even Death Match is getting translated just means Kadokawa is in serious business mode in regards to their acquisition.
>>
If Yen Press gets rid of honorifics, then what the fuck do they do if there is a part in an LN that focuses on honorifics?
>>
>License stuff that only ever got popular because of fan translations
>Kill the fan translations
>Release volumes Y-E-A-R-S behind the Japanese schedule
>Anyone that cares will just read the previous fan translations and be mad for 2 years while waiting

Yen Press has a terrible schedule and still manages to do bad translations. I hope they improve fast, they're just killing themselves.
>>
>>141779949
>Normals at my old high school knew perfectly well that sensei could mean teacher.
Did they also know that it is used to address respected professionals like doctors or lawyers or even anyone accomplished beyond most people in a field like famous movie directors or mangaka?

Your highschool pals would be at least a little confused a translation left a physician being addressed as sensei instead of Doctor, right?
>>
>>141779882
Maybe the Kadokawa buyout will cause them to take more risks. That Goblin Slayer LN they just licensed only just started in February of this year in Japan. Re:Zero was an obvious case of Kadokawa meddling as well.
>>
>>141779979
>Kadokawa bought Yen Press.

They buy up everyone these days huh
>>
>>141779882
Your argument would've been better if they didn't announce Goblin Slayer literally last week.
>>
>>141780187
They would, but you could compromise on that, and it still does lose meaning compared to 'sensei' - the problem is that the original would just be incomprehensible. This doesn't mean that it magically fails to lose meaning in the process of making it comprehensible.
>>
>>141770247
Why idiots praise these Yenpress faggots again?
If they really wanted to help they would license series which aren't getting fan translations to begin with.
They are just another group of greedy pigs.
>>
>>141780183
>bad translations
If anything, the translations themselves are the only thing they do right, with the exception of a few bad releases.

>>141779882
On top of Goblin Slayer last week, there's Death March that was announced just a little bit before Kono Suba. Both Goblin Slayer and Death March have no anime, and look like pretty big gambles by comparison.

>>141780198
They're trying to stick their hands in all the pies, yes.
>>
>>141780183
See
>>141779996
>>
>>141780264
>and it still does lose meaning compared to 'sensei' - the problem is that the original would just be incomprehensible.
This is the crux of the problem, is leaving in an unmodified honorific still accurate if the accurate meaning is inaccessible to the majority of the target audience? The end purpose is after all to convey a meaning, not to convey a word. If you throw out localization, you get TV-Nihon tier moubakakisamatachi-tier translations.
>>
>Yen Press known for being jews that shut down any fan translation project.
>SAO is a Yen Press cash cow
>PDFs for the LNs are openly available on the subreddit
>Fan Translations still actively ongoing in the open, and haven't moved ever since the license was announced.
>That one spinoff no translator picked up was translated by YP, and they caught up in a year

Feels nice being an SAOfag
>>
>>141780326
I don't mind greedy pigs, I just don't like incompetents who claim they can release 4 volumes in a year then delay that to 2, picking up yet more series anyways as if their workload was clearly too much as it is.
>>
>>141780485
Yes? I never challenged this.
>>
>>141780326
>If they really wanted to help they would license series which aren't getting fan translations to begin with.
But they did do that.
>>
>>141780515
Yes you did, when you stated that localization is inherently opposed to accuracy when in fact a measure of localization is necessary to maintain accuracy.
>>
>>141780597
Picked up I guess. She looks like a qt.
My main problem with them is DMCA'ing volumes they're nowhere fucking close to.
>>
>>141780653
>DMCA'ing
Why do people keep calling it this? They're sending C&Ds, not DMCAs. DMCA is the law that says they can send C&Ds, not the actual C&D itself.
>>
>>141780198
>>141780345
Banrise will then later buy Kadakawa
>>
The real problem with localizing light novels is that you almost have to make shit up to make it actually readable, because maybe 50% of the text in an average LN is constructed entirely from boring stock phrases, rising to 70% in a web novel.
>>
>>141780738
That's my line!
>>
sky pls dont give up pl0x
>>
>>141780768
Idiot, don't say things like that!
>>
>viral marketing
lurk 2 years before posting
>>
It's literally your own fault for getting invested in a long running series.
>>
>>141780738
Hah. After 10 volumes of Magika no Kenshi, the MC always defaults to "you're cute" even when one of his girls flat out tell him to be more poetic when praising them.
>>
>>141780652
And it does oppose accuracy. Localization does not maintain accuracy, it trades accuracy for easier understanding. Beef udon being replaced with beef noodles would be an example - people might not know udon, but they definitely know noodles. Translating 'yare yare daze' to 'good grief' doesn't quite capture the true meaning, but people understand 'good grief' as opposed to 'yare yare daze'.
I'm not saying that you should translate everything literally, but as I said I believe that changing idioms to roughly equivalent idioms is part of translation, and even that always loses meaning. I never said that localization should never be used, but don't pretend it maintains accuracy.

>>141780684
It's just a term that gets used I dunno. They're not C&D'ing either, since they're sending C&D, but they're invoking DMCA therefore I say they're DMCA'ing.

>>141780738
I wonder how nips stand it to be quite honest.
>an otherworldly beauty
Alright I get it everyone in the world is an otherworldly beauty move on now
>>
>>141780653
>Picked up I guess. She looks like a qt.
Do you seriously not know about a LN that is as popular as SAO in japan?
>>
>>141780917
>in Japan
I'm not in Japan though.
>>
>>141780887
>implying I'm mad
>implying I won't buy all the volumes as they come out to decorate my shelf.
>>
>>141780738
Just replace everything with burger culture.
>>
>>141780846
>implying that's still a thing
Have you had the good fortune of not running into someone who claims to be not new because he's been here for six months?
>>
What's to keep a company like Yen Press from just offering to compensate the fan translator and just analysing/editing an extisting translation, rather than starting from scratch and taking literally years to catch up.
Seems much faster and more profitable.
>>
>>141781107
Nobody knows
I don't care Moonreading masterrace
>>
>>141780905
I think we have different views on accuracy, to me accuracy is accuracy of the audience's understanding as opposed to the terminology's inherent accuracy as understood by some other group of people who are fluent in the source language.
>>
>>141781167
Then yes, we have different views on accuracy, because I'm comparing [this is what burgers understand after reading a translation] to [this is what nips understand after reading a translation]. You always lose accuracy.
>>
>>141781227
>[this is what burgers understand after reading a translation] to [this is what nips understand after reading a translation]
So I worded that like a retard.
[this is what burgers understand after reading the English version] to [this is what nips understand after reading the Moon version]
>>
>>141780152
I need an answer to this.
>>
>>141781107
>compensate the fan translator
Professionalism, probably.
They don't want to have to pay an amateur for something they might have to completely rewrite anyways.

Take for example Death March; Yeah, translation is 13 volumes in... of the Web Novel. If they buy his translation, they then have to read through everything and compare it to the Light Novel anyways, and make proper changes. On top of that, the English is far from professional, so an editor still has to completely rewrite it.

In theory it's a great idea; in practice it's not likely to work, because most fan translators don't actually know what they're doing, and they still have to pay a real translator to translate the original to double check the translation's integrity.
>>
>>141781266
They can't do anything, just like you're fucked if there's homonym play.
>>
>>141781107
They're a real company and not some kids in a basement. There's proper procedures and accountability, something like that is difficult to get approved by your sponsors/owners you know.

I bet they lose more time with legalese bullshit than actually translating. They long waits are a (bad) business decision, not sheer idiocy.
>>
File: cnfsd.jpg (36KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
cnfsd.jpg
36KB, 720x400px
>>141781261
But that's what I'm comparing too? To use the earlier example, localizing "sensei" to "doctor" makes [burger understanding of translation] closer to [nip understanding of moon] while leaving it as "sensei" causes a greater mismatch between burger understanding and nip understanding, hence the localization is more accurate than the weeb version.
>>
>>141781458
Doctor isn't a complete match for Sensei, therefore there's a loss of accuracy.
>>
>>141781525
It's a hell of a lot better a match than leaving it as sensei would be for a burger reader, hence there is a gain in accuracy compared to not changing it in localization, if you are really using your definition of accuracy to mean the accuracy of [burger understanding].
>>
I was going to say something about how retarded Yen Press must be if it thinks people who watched the show are going to wait years for the official translation to catch up, but then I realized that market is probably not large enough to warrant speedy translations anyways
>>
>>141781665
Sensei -> Doctor is translation. I'm not sure what the fuck I'm talking about anymore, I drank a little too much coffee half an hour ago and I'm frazzled as fuck.
I think the point I was trying to make was that Sensei -> Doctor loses accuracy, but you need to do it if you want a burger to understand hence it's translation, while Udon -> noodles isn't actually strictly necessary but still loses accuracy so it's localization, which might be beneficial (since not all burgers know what udon is exactly) but isn't actually necessary as turning sensei into doctor is.
>>
>>141781777
>Sensei -> Doctor is translation.
Okay, well, we've made it obvious that we have different ideas of what is considered to be localization. Changing udon to noodles is going too far in my opinion because Japanese restaurants are a thing that exists (and going by Maou-sama YP doesn't habitually change udon to noodles anyway).
>>
>>141782073
I told you, I don't read YP so I don't know what they do. I'm just saying that localization by my definition will always lose accuracy, because if you need it included to be understood I say that's translation and sensei is a japanese word anyway so -> doctor actually is a translation
>>
>thinking a flowing text means just making shit up in localization

Fan translation:

Satan and Alsiel sealed the contract out of the spur of the moment. They were dazed out for a while but they were barely able to recover and think about their situation critically.

The building was old and their landlord was someone who couldn’t possibly be a human. However, the two youths were unemployed and they had no address. By the rules of this world, would there be another place that would accept someone as suspicious as them? Looking at the situation like that, they needed to be grateful about having a roof over their heads.

The two of them vowed to live quietly and pay the rent on time, so that they wouldn’t need to see their landlord’s face ever again.

“In this world, there seems to be a proverb that says ‘one must endure unspeakable hardships for the sake of vengeance’[9]. This must be one of those cases.”

Their bodies were injured because of their fight with the Hero, their magical energies were spent, and they were swept up by the gate’s flow and deposited in a world that they’ve never heard of. Even someone like the Demon Lord Satan was losing his powers after using the hypnotic spell twice. Satan experienced tiredness like he’d never felt before.

To heal his wounded body and heart, the Demon Lord Satan slept for three days straight.

Sleeping for three days straight with his injured body without eating or drinking caused Satan to suffer from malnutrition and had to be rushed to hospital. He couldn’t even stand up straight because he was dehydrated and was lacking in vitamins.

To save his pale and dying master who was staring blankly with unfocused eyes, Alsiel had to request help from their landlord Shiba after just three days of moving in. Because they didn’t have a clue as to how medical attention worked in this world.
>>
>>141782161
Yen Press localization:
They had signed the contract, completely unable to mount any sort of protest. The two of them stood there, their minds blank, waiting to regain their composure so they could reflect over these sudden events.

The place was a dump, its landlord a nonhuman behemoth. But what other living space would be willing to accept two homeless, unemployed young men, a concept that would send any sane landlord running at first sight? They resigned themselves to their fate, knowing the answer all too well. At the very least, they wouldn’t be rained on.

So, deep in their hearts, the two demons swore to work hard, make the rent each month, and otherwise have as little to do with their landlord as possible.

“‘You have to start somewhere,’ as they apparently say around here. Perhaps this is exactly what we need.”

They were overwhelmed in battle against the Hero, battered by the wild journey across the flows of the Gate, and mentally fatigued by their adventures in an unfamiliar world. Satan, the Devil King, was rapidly expending his magical force, his breathing ragged after only two hypnoses. The sense of extreme exhaustion was like none he had ever tasted.

So the Devil King fell asleep. And he stayed asleep for three days and three nights, healing his scarred body and drained soul.

Then, after sleeping three days straight without eating or drinking, Satan was taken to the hospital for malnutrition. The dehydration and vitamin deficiency had immobilized him.

In order to rescue his master—near death, skin dry and pallid, empty eyes staring aimlessly into space—Alciel had been forced to ask their landlord, Shiba, for help the third day after moving in. He had absolutely no idea what manner of medical facilities to expect in this world.
>>
What about megumin spin off? Are there still the epubs for it?
>>
>>141782195
So was this in the original or just made up?
The fan translation IS kinda clunky with too many full stops though, I'll give them that
>>
>>141782151
We were discussing its use as an honorific, and one of the litmus tests that weebs use for differentiating "muh pure translations" from "localized 4kids trash" is whether honorifics are left untouched. So it's localization, not translation.
>>
>>141782161
>>141782195
I stopped after the first two lines but it's basically the same.
>>
>>141781107
Don'tyou fucktards realise that they can translate this shit quickly and do once a month of if they wanted to but it's a fucking book industry so they have to slow things down on purpose to maximise sales on each volume.

They are going slow on purpose.

Also if i knew YP was using baka tsuki shit with minor edits I'd not pay for such garbage
>>
>>141782323
Nothing is made up. If you compare the fan translation with "hurr overlocalized Yen Press shit" you find that the meaning is pretty much the same, with the difference that Yen Press doesn't read like it was done by an ESL with no writing skill.
>>
>>141782329
I'll be perfectly honest and say that people who don't know what -san / -kun / -sama / -dono / etc. entail have very little place reading this stuff in my opinion, but whatever.
>>
>>141782332
If you seriously think they are similar, you need to study some English. Style and flow are completely different.
>>
>>141782446
I don't even know why they would read shit that obviously takes place in Japan and most of the time in Tokyo and not expect very different culture, meanings and expressions in those works. It's why I find localization so fucking retarded as it ruins the point of reading these novels.
>>
>>141782511
I think he's talking about the contents
>>
Honorifics are garbage and should fuck off in my English translation.

Fuck your Sama.
>>
>>141782525
Why is it always fucking tokyo anyway
If it's in a named city in Japan then it's Tokyo 80% of the time and Kyoto another 15%. Why?
>>
>>141782534
Yes, I do. No clue why he would think otherwise.
>>
>>141782575
>Yes, I do
I didn't propose to you shove off
>>
>>141782395
>the difference that Yen Press doesn't read like it was done by an ESL with no writing skill.
And that's why official translations are usually better.

>>141782446
If you're talking about Manga, that would be one thing, and YP does keep Honorifics in some of their manga. But novels are "more professional", so they edit the translation more thoroughly.

>>141782567
Most of the population live in those areas?
I assume most writers have characters from where they live, instead of where some other people they don't know live.
>>
>>141782607
I don't know
I mean
Are there no other big cities?
>>
>>141782567
Well, almost half of Japan either lives in Tokyo or the Osaka/Kyoto metro areas.
>>
>>141782716
I didn't know that. That's pretty goddamn ridiculous.
>>
>>141782649
Off the top of my head I can think of Osaka and Nagoya. But there's a bunch of others.
>>
>>141782649

Osaka, at most.

When they want to be cheeky they use Hokkaido, Okinawa, or Kyushu as settings, but there's really no reason to.
>>
>>141782736
Greater Tokyo has 37m people. Neat.
>>
File: 1460419760140.jpg (113KB, 640x848px) Image search: [Google]
1460419760140.jpg
113KB, 640x848px
>Going to have to wait 5 years to get where the Nips are now
Yeah thats fine I guess
>>
>>141782828
>82828
Not quite a get but pretty cool
git gud EOP
>>
>konosuba thread
>not a single image posted relates to konosuba
>not a single image is best girl darkness
>not a single image is second best bang-boom loli
H O W
O
W
>>
>>141782161
>>141782195
Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker, but for me I think the fan TL is better. Mainly because I find it easier to read, in contrast with the official one which just feels convoluted.
I prefer text that's simple so I can just speed read it. No need for 100% perfect syntax or semantics.
>>
>>141783000
>konosuba thread
This is a "Yen Press ruins everything" thread.

Konosuba thread is over here: >>141753354
>>
>>141783000
>Konosuba thread
it's a YP thread
>>
>>141783038
>Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker
That explains a lot. The Fan TL is boring 9th grader shit, too many full stops, no structural variety, convoluted phrasing, etc.
>>
>>141783038
Funny, because as a native speaker, the fan translation sounds like a non-native speaker or a child wrote it. Understandable, but not pleasant to read.
>>
File: 1463515160225.jpg (3MB, 6468x4104px) Image search: [Google]
1463515160225.jpg
3MB, 6468x4104px
>>141783000
Here are both the best girls condensed into one image, just for you anon
>>
>>141783080
Even worse, it just feels like publicity.
>>
See you guys in seven years when they finally catch up to fan translations
>>
>>141783364
>3 volumes a year
>currently at Volume 8
That's three years, senpai.

Assuming they don't speed up their schedule, now that Kadokawa bought them.
>>
>>141783123
>>141783115
Well, I'm more interested in getting the idea through. I'm not looking for poetry.
I just want to enjoy the story. Even if the author is going for a specific writing style, most of it is going to be lost in translation. So in the end all that pretty writing is useless to me.
>>
>>141783124
I love those saggy titties. I have no idea why. Maybe it's backlash to all the perfect round orbs strapped on to chests I see too much of.
>>
>>141783613
Saggy tits have weight and look like they'd be heavy and soft in your hands.
>>
>>141783137
That's because we have some of their devs pretending we should be thankful to them for killing the series we like
>>
>>141784065
>devs
We ain't in /vg/ m8
>>
>>141780497
I don't follow SAO, but isn't there SAO and then a sequel series with a subtitle? I think the thing is that they have to licence the second series seperately, so they won't take it down until they get through all of the old ones. Same deal with Index, they've DMCA'd a few things hosting PDFs of the original "series" of LNs, but New Testament has been totally safe so far.
>>
>>141783421
They really need to start releasing omnibus volumes, otherwise they'll never catch up. Some series (e.g. Index) get written faster than YP translate, so YP are going to be stuck 30 volumes behind until the series ends.
>>
>>141784626
There's SAO, and there's SAO Progressive.
But that's not a Sequel Series. It's just a spin-off, and Yen Press is translating both at the same time.

The manga on the other hand does that weird thing, where each arc has its own subtitle and artist.
>>
>>141784861
>But that's not a Sequel Series
That is odd then. They went out of their way to take down a mediafire folder used mainly by /a/ that was hosting Index PDFs, I wonder why they don't bother for SAO?
>>
>>141780497
pretty much this.

"i may have shit taste but at least i'm getting fed what i asked for."
>>
>>141781306
>In theory it's a great idea; in practice it's not likely to work, because most fan translators don't actually know what they're doing, and they still have to pay a real translator to translate the original to double check the translation's integrity.

There are so-called "professional" translators who do worse than fan translations. (see Crunchyroll subs)
>>
>>141785036
Subs can be disjointed statements removed from context since there's no narration or description to translate inbetween.
>>
>>141785085
On anime, that could be fixed by dedicating more time in grasping the context. But shoddy translations in LNs is far less forgivable because they should have the entire manuscript in their hands.
>>
>>141785036
I find that generally YP's prose is better than most fan translations (not by much, it's still pretty bad) but their translation of terminology is worse and they aren't always consistent between novels, even in the same series.
>>
>>141785273
Yeah, this was pretty bad in their Danmachi translation. Things got romanized really weirdly, even if they had real components in mythology, like Daidaros and Ikoru.
>>
>>141785273
>translation of terminology is worse
I could see that. They translated "Roman Catholic Church" as "Crossism" based on the kanji used for the term despite the fact that a volume in the LNs was explicitly entitled as "Roman Catholic Church".
>>
Can't wait for Yen Press to get caught up to the fan translations in 2020 while Konosuba is on volume 16.

Thanks Yen Press. They should just start doing what the fucking Sekai Project does with VNs and snatch up fan translations then edit them.
>>
>>141785366
>Crossism
whay
>>
>>141785334
>>141785366

let's not for get gareth being changed to gallel, Ryuu being changed to Lyu or Valis changed to Varisu.

and what sad is the authors already defined how certain terms are spelled yet jew press guys can't even be bothered to do a simple google search.
>>
>>141785398
How much content should they remove then? I sure love how Sekai Project refuses to release anything other than all age versions of fucking eroge. Already translated eroge even
>>
Never read something translated by Yen Press, are they the kind of guys that translate metric units as imperial and 3rd year of middle school as 12th grade?
>>
Whoever buys Kadokawa needs to remove Yen Press immediately out of the translation business.
>>
>>141782394
>They are going slow on purpose.
Then they should stop promising to go faster and delaying. If they started with "We'll release once every 6 months" rather than just always delaying their 3 month schedules to 6 they would look much more professional and I might actually believe you when you said it was on purpose.
>>
>>141786050
They did some pretty weird shit in Index like changing a reference to the Gulf War to something about an "Okinawan War" that has never happened either in-universe or in real life.
>>
>>141786389
quality translations indeed
>>
>>141786389
Must be sensitivity for 'muricans?
>>
>>141786663
someone was asking what i meant about politically correct trans, this is what i meant.

index is especially heinous
>>
>>141786948
>politically correct translations
>politically correct
>correct translations
I guess there's a reason it's not called Politically Correct Correct Translations
>>
>>141786663
Maybe, the line was about a type of sniper rifle being used in the gulf war and since they already changed the name of the rifle to dodge copyright perhaps they though they'd be extra safe by changing the war it was deployed in?

>>141786948
I'm not sure I'd call it "politically correct", they haven't changed anything about christianity being evil as fuck which is the only thing in Index I can think of that might offend somebody. They also didn't change the line in the first volume where a character proudly proclaims that they are a lolicon, which might also get some people mad I guess? The actual content is preserved, they just fuck around with the terminology in ways that don't make all that much sense.
>>
>>141787180
They're not Christians though, they're Crossists.
>>
>>141778175
>(do they localize it or do a faithful translation with honorifics? Couldn't know, I don't give shekels to YP).
I buy their version of Gakkou Gurashi and they do keep the honorifics (Megu-nee, Kurumi-chan, etc.). They even keep the screams/yelps as "KYA".
>>
>>141787205
beat me to it.

i mean what do you call changing the roman catholic church to church of crossism?
>>
>>141787205
To be fair, the original novel says they're 十字教徒 rather than キリスト教徒.
>>
>>141787205
>>141787303

One specific sect is referred to as "Crossism" for some reason, but other stuff like the Church of England are kept. I think they fucked around with the Roman Catholic Church and the Russian Orthodox Church though (Switched it to Roman Orthodox and Russian Catholic, if I remember right). No idea why.
>>
>>141771416
You never pirate any anime in real life now? Really?
You pointing out other people's supposed hypocrisy is faggotness at it's finest.
>>
>>141787493
That anon didnt say he had the moral high ground, just that translators weren't fixing anything or being any less illegal by dropping a series once it had a localization.
>>
>>141787493
see this >>141787531

try reading next time
>>
>>141776614
It's the difference between a little shit who feeds off a community / interest.
>Here's a you
and people who put the time and effort to share what they find interesting with others.
As in, why the fuck would people translate manga to English then with your mentality you nignog.
>>
>>141778538
>Being this retarded
It was all one anon in his basement translating everything.
>>
>thread filled with translator dick suckers supporting their support de artist!!!1! retard shit they do everytime just so they can drop work
>thread filled with localizations are gud le memes le ongiri = donutz
What a shitty thread.
>>
>>141787947
for real... can these people fuck off back to r/lightnovels with this shit?
>>
If you want to promote the Konosuba community, dropping the TL because of Yen Press is counterproductive, because Yen Press has demonstrated time and again they're very bad at releasing a timely, quality product. The fanbase will stagnate and wither, like many of YP's other titles. The fact that YP is more famous for DMCA dicking shows that they're incompetent.

Moreover, I seriously doubt that Yen Press is going to be the major provider for Konosuba's author's income. I wager threads like this, where anons with money buy figurines, japanese releases or other licensed products online related to Konosuba are far more likely to generate revenue than LNs in the US.

Because my power level is so high, I would never buy any US print media. I never have, and never will. Anything I buy comes from Japanese who are willing to do overseas.
>>
>>141788055
/a/ has practically become reddit at this point. Let's not lie to ourselves here.
>>
>>141788055
Maybe you should fuck back off to there?
>>
>>141788230
Haha, got him!
>>
>>141788069
How does YP stay afloat like that?
>>
>>141788304
Nobody knows, I hope everyday the company dies so translators can do their fucking work without worry.
>>
>>141788280
Is it just me that doesn't see the difference between ellipses used like that and emoticons?

Normally someone would use a comma there. The way he did it is like if he'd use >_<.
>>
>>141788467
No, you're right, but the old "NO U" routine is pretty stupid as well.
>>
The LN and manga are actually much shittier than the show. Especially the manga.
>>
>>141777682
There's a lot more LNs that are un translated than anime w/o subs
>>
File: 1459475127747.gif (813KB, 462x259px) Image search: [Google]
1459475127747.gif
813KB, 462x259px
>>141773842

I require examples to determine how mad I am going to be.
>>
>>141788374

I have insider info: it's much more economical to license a title and drop it later, maintaining the rights only to what you've licensed, than to keep producing titles. And franchises that tend to sell big can basically carry your catalog on your back.

At Viz, Naruto, FMA, and Bleach carried the rest of Viz's projects for years. When Viz licenses a new title, there is an initial fee and an agreement of volumes, and then additional fees for each volume after the agreement. Typically, the first volume sells the best and sales go down from there on out. It's a selection bias: people who buy and don't like the title are unlikely to buy Volume 2.

I bet that it works the same for YP. They probably have more customers than you think, and huge supporters for their major franchises.
>>
>>141771193
Just wanted to say thank you for everything you and your team have done.
>>
>>141788713
see >>141786389 >>141787205
>>
>>141788800
This is scummy as fuck, but LNs in general aren't popular enough for them to care.
>>
>>141781167
>accuracy is accuracy of the audience's understanding
Unless I'm interpreting that incorrectly, wouldn't that suggests every word's meaning is up for debate because each people has a different opinion on what they think it means, not what the word actually means? And that's before applying the debate between you and the other anon regarding translation and localization.

For example, it's the equivalent of arguing against a dictionary definition of a word because Person A thinks it means something else, i.e, Apples mean Oranges (as stupid as it sounds). It doesn't matter what Person A thinks, the word has a define set of what it is used for.
>>
YP has a big backer. They're just a tiny part of a larger publisher.
>>
>>141789400
The audience's understanding of the word will generally be the dictionary definition seeing as we're talking majorities and not what one idiot thinks an apple is.
>>
>>141789400
>Unless I'm interpreting that incorrectly, wouldn't that suggests every word's meaning is up for debate because each people has a different opinion on what they think it means, not what the word actually means?
It means you have to know who your audience is before translating. If you know you're going to be translating for a niche audience, then you don't need to spend too much effort on localization.
>>
>>141771038
Oh boy. Can't wait until 2021 when they catch up to the fan translations and the anime is four volumes ahead of where we are now.
>>
Sky and friends can do what they want, good job on what they've done so far.

That said, if someone else picks it up it'd be great cause I can't see something like Konosuba staying funny with localization. The way YP words things is rather dry and only really passes when reading stuff like Spicy Wolf that has zero weeb/meta material.

>>141773842
>not mentioning the hideous grammar errors that were the first thing pointed out in the blog

To this day I feel bad for buying it the moment it was available, and also a bit bad that I managed to sell it second hand to recoup the loss. Nowadays if I can't read the whole damn thing first I don't trust it enough to buy, which sounds so fucking unreasonable but that's how little trust I have in licensed shit.
>>
>>141789647
This happens often in French manga. It's not uncommon to see a list at the beginning explaining the nuance of the honorifics and notes at the end explaining any cultural references foreigners wouldn't know about.

Translating and localization are more often than not at odds with one another. A translators jobs is to stay true to the original text, a localizers job is to make sure his audience will understand it as is and will go as far as to "translate" culture.
>>
>>141789450
Kadokawa is in a world of shit, If Bamco or other company looks Kadokawa see Yen Press in the negative for a long time then they will shut'em down or sell the business.
>>
>>141789756
NGNL was still pretty funny though. It may or may not have been accurate but it worked.
>>
>>141778175
>(do they localize it or do a faithful translation with honorifics? Couldn't know, I don't give shekels to YP).

It's random, most likely due to their translators not having some orderly policy that they abide by and they do everything with some vague guideline. That's how you have >>141787276
and then you have NGNL.

The more they license, the more peanut translators they will 'hire', it's inevitable. It'd be one thing if they just kept a core revolving around those remotely competent, but that doesn't make money when they got a legion of retards wanting to support the source author even if it means supporting fast-food tier licensing.

On the bright side, assuming companies like YP keep climbing up and up, in about 50 years those translators that keep at it will most likely get better. Or Google Translate will have a paid pro version and actually do a better job than they will and then voila. Of course by then DRM will be so advanced Denuvo will look like a fucking cd-key in comparison and we'll probably need nanomachines just like Ainz just for authentication.

This is the future you chose.
>>
>>141778389
>which Yen Press did go back and fix after getting a lot of shit from fans.

What did they send people who bought the old paperbacks a new copy that doesn't suck dick? Cause I didn't get mine. Do I just email them or am I boned?
>>
>>141770247
>takes years for them to release first few novels
>after which they drop the series and continue to hold on to rights to it so no-one else can touch it for the next decade
>>
>>141788800
I'm not seeing your point. Unlike Viz, Yen Press has never dropped an LN they've licensed before completing all the volumes. Even ones that bombed.
>>
>>141789950
>Of course by then DRM will be so advanced Denuvo will look like a fucking cd-key in comparison and we'll probably need nanomachines just like Ainz just for authentication.
I hate the future. The internet will never be free again
>>
>>141777691
Hell, just look at the edited fanfic as well in terms of flow for english readers.
>>
>>141787311
That's just slang for Christian.
>>
>>141779979
I remember a chart saying Kadokawa isn't doing that well on a whole though, was it true or was it just some bullshit? It was on /v/ though and vidya related but basically the umbrella company wasn't doing so hot across the board.
>>
>>141780152
Depends on what the translator comes up with. That's the answer to all questions like these. It's very rarely consistent. It's kinda like playing cash shop lottery in MMOs.
>>
>>141790156
It sucks man, we have the fight for ourselves and help future.

The future is still miles ahead but we have to keep fighting for the internet.
>>
>>141789618
Never had to deal with people insisting that gay cannot refer to women or that someone with a penis is not a man because he's transsexual?
>>
>>141790039

Think of a ponzi scheme. The new investors money is used to pay the older investors, until a revenue stream is discovered that reverts the scheme back until a normal business.

This is speculation, but after that, it's a matter of licensing new titles and finding a hit big enough to pay off the debts of the older ones.

Unless YP paid a huge commission for a LN that absolutely bombed in the US, this model is almost certainly profitable. The highs are very high, while the costs are cheap enough so that the highs pay them back with interest.

It's almost certain YP gets a boost from the first volume of LN they release, so by releasing a large number of titles, they maximize the chance of something going off like a rocket. If you pick the most popular LNs online, license them cheaply, it's going to be very easy to stay in business.

It's not like Japanese publishing companies have many other options for their niche product. In the US, almost all Shueisha goes to Viz by default, except a few legacy titles Viz is trying to regain control of.
>>
>>141781665
>It's a hell of a lot better a match than leaving it as sensei would be for a burger reader

The irony in this is that today we have a global culture that threatens you for not embracing ethnic cultures and languages yet when it comes to localization it has to be white washed so hard even the KKK could read it.

It's just so hypocritical considering the English language borrows from other languages possibly more than any other, yet it's the most anal when it comes to publishing. Chinks, nips, and gooks will just slap on the alphabets and provide some pronunciation for the retards. well, maybe not the chinks, they do localize pretty hard at times and are very fucking random about it, but no one expects better from them.
>>
>>141790363
I said majority, not vocal minority
>>
>>141790363
Those are rare exceptions.
>>
>>141790244
Sounds like bullshit. They are a publicly traded company, so it isn't hard to check their earnings reports. They are doing fine, good even. Also remember, they have a near monopoly on the LN market.
>>
>>141790430
>The irony in this is that today we have a global culture that threatens you for not embracing ethnic cultures and languages yet when it comes to localization it has to be white washed so hard even the KKK could read it.
Political correctness hurts profits.
>>
>>141790212
Regardless, the original author goes out of his way to never actually refer to them as Christians and only ever uses the title "Son of God" when mentioning Jesus, so it's stupid to claim the translators are the ones "censoring" it.
>>
>>141790430
The Chinks barely localize at all from what I've seen here, I've actually had to look shit up because I had no fucking idea what they were. They sometimes fuck up names due to not having a pronunciation alphabet and spanish names 12 letters long in English becoming six hanzi in length in Chinese.
They're pretty good with Japanese of course, since Japanese shares a good amount of idioms with Chinese and a rudimentary knowledge of kana can actually enable a chink to read basic Japanese.
>>141790450
>>141790457
I've met like two in the past week on fucking 4chan lads
>>141790523
It's pretty damn stupid when you have the Roman Catholic Church, the Russian Orthodox Church, and the Church of England and refuse to call them Christians because the author calls them 'people of the cross'.
>>
>>141790293

The internet is still free, but people will have to take their opinions underground to Tor to maintain them.

Onion sites might be the future of piracy. They're hard to prosecute and by nature, more anonymous than 4chan.
>>
>>141790583
>I've met like two in the past week on fucking 4chan lads
I meant that the words themselves were exceptions. The vast majority of words have a generally agreed upon definition.
>>
>>141790630
True, I guess those words are ones currently undergoing attempts at re-definition like so often throughout history. Just like White
>>
>>141789931
Funny because it was so horrible, it's no different than when I read Spear Hero Gaiden MTL imagining Motoyasu literally says what Google Translate puts out cause I know he's retarded.

I mean yeah it has the Ghost Stories dub effect, but that gets old and definitely puts me off on buying any subsequent volumes.
>>
>>141790583
Believe it or not you're more likely to find people like that on 4chan than in the general populace.
>>
>>141789931
It was pretty damn cringe-worthy at times.
>>
>>141790676
Like I said, I can't speak for the accuracy of it since I never read the fan tls or the Japanese novels, but it felt appropriate while I was reading it. Does YP occasionally throw dumb memes in there? Sure, but Sora is a loser who hides in his room all day and only talks to his sister, he walks into rooms blaring Phoenix Wright music that he knows no one will get and unironically references JoJo in real life, trying to pass it off as serious. No shit he's going to sound like an autist at times.
>>
>>141774394
Never. Lots of misinformation by people with a vested interest in seeing YP burn in this thread. Unfortunately for them, Kadokawa now holds a controlling 51% stake in the company and it's not going away unless they decide to pull the plug. Hachette and Kadokawa are "too big to fail" publishers, so they will only ever cancel anything or close shop under extreme circumstances. The tin foil in this thread is well beyond the pale. Books are getting a confirmed 4 releases a year, but the 1-3 releases meme is still going strong for some reason.
>>
>>141790583
>The Chinks barely localize at all from what I've seen here

I'm more referring to how they use names. For example depending on which country/state/province/etc you are, their name could sound very fucking close to the original, or it could sound completely different without a single similar syllable.

For example, Bush and Obama -> Bo Shu and O Ba Ma, however America/USA -> Mei Kwok, Kwok being Kingdom, while Mei a direction/location adjective, basically saying "Western-something Kingdom". Yeah, that's how they call America.

However, Bo-Shu, and O-Ba-Ma have no fucking meanings to their words, or at least not matching ones. It's just randomly picked ones that sound alike.

And if you really think Chinks don't localize you haven't seen enough Chink dubs. Take their Disney shit, like the rat chef one. I watched both engrish and chink, and let me tell you everything from the names to the jokes were localized to hell and back, hell the jokes were pretty much baidu meme tier, only a tad bit lower often referred to as TVB meme tier but I don't think most people here know what TVB is.
>>
>>141771038
Is there a complete volume 8 pdf of the fanfic yet? Debating on saving the text in case something happens.
>>
>>141790863
1 is exaggerating but 2 a year has definitely happened and still does, I would know because I'm actually buying them and they only need to get delayed twice in a row to pull it off.
>>
>>141790784
You can Google the blog for comparisons in 5 seconds.
>>
>>141790936
You seem to be under the impression that I give a shit. I don't. So long as it sounds appropriate and doesn't take as many liberties as Index to the point where it actually interferes with the story I don't care about some minor changes.
>>
>>141790894
Not him but every time I look at the Chinese version of a manga I read I notice that the Kanji names are written exactly the same. They don't change the hanzi to make itsound the same, they just take the name as is.
>>
>>141787947
Nice generalizations. Curious how you know what it's like there though.
>>
>>141790997
I'll spoon feed you then since you're too retarded to understand, it's worse than Index and you basically failed English if you think it was good enough, which is ironic cause this is the very same thread the Maou-sama guy comes in defending YP having better grammar, syntax, etc.

YP is always random and ranges heavily from pretty good to absolute dog shit just like fan translations, and NGNL is absolute dog shit.
>>
>>141790863
>Lots of misinformation by people with a vested interest in seeing YP burn in this thread
>vested interest
Are we getting paid to anti-shill or something
Most of us just want the release of volume (n+1) earlier than 5 years from the last volume we see.
>>141790894
I'm Chinese you keker.
Mei-Guo means 'Beautiful Nation' and Mei is not a directional or locational adjective but is literally just Beautiful / Pretty / Elegant, probably from the time America was the golden land of opportunity with roads tiled in solid silver where coins rained every Sunday and you could just sit on a plot of land and make it yours. We don't have an actual sound-based writing system so for transliteration of names we can only choose hanzi that sound similar, so Bush and Obama can either be written in English or in similar-sounding Chinese.
Disney is garbage so I don't watch it in English or Chinese, but I've seen things like the Iron Man movies and they were pretty similar.
>>141791004
Kanji is valid in Chinese so we just take them. We change foreign names because unless we want to suddenly type English letters in the middle of a block of kanji we need to figure something out.
>>
>>141791154
>I'll spoonfeed you with no actual examples because I literally have no idea what I'm talking about
Which project of yours did they DMCA?
>>
>>141778491
What were you expecting? YP has only been doing LNs for a year and a half now. They haven't skipped a beat on Index yet and managed a book every 3 months thus far.
>>
>>141791004
Cause Jap->Chink shares a lot in common. It's nowhere close to Eng->Chink, so for /a/ related purposes you are correct that Chinese isn't too bad, I'm just being more general here. There's some slight exceptions, but very rare cause the chink translation community for manga isn't archaic and as retarded as the generations that still have some Chairman Mao in them, you know the same kind that believe in eating lead and mercury filled pills for colds and all that crazy stuff.
>>
>>141790933
dont bother anon, he thinks YP has never delayed a series set to be 3-4 releases a year.

it's like I imagined the numerous delays and the ad yen press put out saying that they're hiring.

yup, they definitely aren't biting off more then they can chew
>>
>>141791154
>I'll spoonfeed you
>Makes claims with no evidence
Do you not know the meaning of the word?
>>
>>141791226
>I can't google something that appears on the first link on the first page

Underage get out, nobody is gonna spoonfeed you that hard may as well ask me to wipe your ass you dumb nigger.
>>
>>141791317
I'm not going to give your blog ad revenue from my visit, sorry.
>>
>>141791305
So are you the retard that tells people to post a direct download link when people tell you to search sekrit klub or sadpanda? What about nyaa? Do you know that exists? No one in the history of /a/ has ever had the fucking blog appear not on the first page.
>>
>>141791317
It's not spoonfeeding to say "SAO is garbage"
>>
>>141774243
You should just search for "IIE SENPAI" in archive, and it will surprise you.
>>
>>141791367
I've already told you I don't give a shit and that's why I haven't looked for it. I'm simply telling you that you're using the word spoonfeeding incorrectly. I haven't begged for shit.
>>
>>141791349
>won't visit a site that gives comprehensive examples with picture comparison of scans to show direct evidence

Damn only 300-400~ posts to get these YP shills in here, next time you gotta do a better job for your shekels, cause here's the thing, EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT NGNL.
>>
>>141791251
No I'm not angry that they're only up to V7, that's actually pretty well done for them. I'm mad that they took off all of Old Testament when it'd take them 5 years or so at their own stated pace.
>>141791268
Mao was the worst thing that ever happened to us.
>>141791226
I'm pretty sure this is what he's talking about.
https://frogkun.com/2015/05/03/stay-away-from-the-no-game-no-life-english-novel/
>>141791417
Do you not know how many newfags there are?
>>
>>141791407
Yeah you don't give a shit that you are eating shit, so why are you posting? Gotta get that last word in shit eater?
>>
>>141773842
>>changed dialogue to sound more "politically correct"
And THIS is one reason why I stopped buying "translated" works in English. Fucking "professional" translators are driven by their own political biases, not respecting the art by the original author.

I remember buying all those Tokyopop manga and the egregious bullshit the English translation community put out, but that was simply a start. It continued on to Yen Press too.

Then again, I learned Japanese and just buy the original Japanese work instead, because this kind of bullshit is just fucking messed up.

>>141788069
This is another concern about the slow release of material. It literally depletes the love for a series.

Yen Press would do well to have an online release website, where they charge people for a subscription, like CR, and then release the chapters on a timely schedule. Then, when they're finished, they start releasing books for purchase with illustrations and all.

But I am still not down with "politically correct" localization. I am not buying these things to read American bias, I am reading a story written by a Japanese person with a very different culture than ours.
>>
>>141777725
At least Konosuba didn't make the girls insufferable. Note that in StB almost every fanservice scene would always lead to "I will stab you senpai" bullshit.
>>
>>141791469
>Mao was the worst thing that ever happened to us.

Eh I don't know about that, it's a mighty big title. But he definitely ranks up there given he was in charge of a massive country full of poor farmers. You gotta wonder if even Hitler fucked over as many jews as Mao fucked over parents.
>>
>>141791471
I wouldn't have even replied had you not claimed you were spoonfeeding when you did nothing of the sort. It's kind of ironic that you refuse to use the word properly and then get upset at translations being faulty was why I took interest.
>>
>>141791512
IIE
I
E
>>
>>141791561
Why are you still responding to an ESL in a thread about English translations? You're wasting your time.
>>
>>141791537
The only person who can claim to have been worse for China than Mao is Cixi.
>>
>>141791561
>leading someone to water isn't helping them quench their thirst, you gotta do mouth to mouth or else it doesn't count

This is how retarded you are with your semantics. Lurk moar newfag.
>>
>>141791587
>ESL
>Thinks NGNL YP translations are passable

I'm not the one who lacks proper grammar here shill.
>>
>>141791500
i left western comics/media to escape that bullshit, only to run into it again here. fuck me right?
>>
>>141791614
Spoonfeeding is what that is though. It's not "helping" otherwise telling someone to search a picture with google would be spoonfeeding. Look at the word, it's literally feeding someone with a spoon, no part of that implies that you're only doing a little help, it calls to feeding a baby their breakfast by passing the spoon to their mouth with the food.
>>141791587
Because I have shit all else to do
>>
Did sky pull the fanfic for Volumes 1-8?
>>
>>141791649
I don't know who you're trying to fool, the way you construct sentences (and your posts as a whole) reeks of someone who took English for a few years in high school and thought they could piece together the rest using 4chan as a learning tool.
>>
>>141791649
>YP shills have no response for NGNL
>still insist official trans are better
where is a smug aqua meme when you need one?
>>
>>141791800
It's funny, because reading the blog it sounds like nitpicking at best. The only point that might be legitimate is the grammar point they make, but they also allow in the same sentence that Kamiya has a very odd writing style, which would make me think that perhaps the translator was trying to emulate that rather than just fix it.

This becomes more obvious when they then complain about a guy speaking Japanese using random English words being *totally* different from a guy speaking English using random Japanese words. Somehow this would only make sense if you used French, what is this Canada?

Memes and engrish, as said, are legitimately in character and make sense.This reads more like complaints on the blogger's part than any legitimate criticism of quality.
>>
>>141787321
They didn't fuck around with anything. It's the Roman Orthodox Church and Russian Catholic Church in Index. It has always been this way. Your fantranslation headcanon won't change that. Read the original text and stop relying on translations, you fucking retards. You look pretty stupid when you just assume something is wrong when research will tell you they got it right. If you have a problem with this weird bit of nuance, take it up with Kamachi. Just to trigger you further, it's crossism in the original Japanese text as well. Stay mad.
>>
>>141792086
And the correct translation was also Demon God and not Magic God right? Good to see you again anon I was worried you had died.
>>
You're all arguing pointless shit about grammar and translation quality.

The real problem is how YP is going to take years to reach Vol. 9, so much that interest is likely to be gone at that point.
>>
>>141791962
Generally, when a japanese person thinks of a foreign language to use to sound cool, it'll be english 99% of the time.

When it's an english speaker, I find that the goto languages for the same purpose are French and German, maybe Spanish. Using any of those would have been more appropriate for an English translation, instead the translator opted to have him use Japanese there, which is something that for an English speaker, generally only a "weeaboo" would do.
>>
>>141792236
If a person was going to use a language just to sound cool they would go with something like Latin not fucking French.
>>
>>141791500
Are you on crack? One translation flub in regards to the gulf war is now damning evidence that YP has an agenda to white wash history?
>>
File: 1463010963649.png (490KB, 999x771px) Image search: [Google]
1463010963649.png
490KB, 999x771px
I will patiently wait for season 2 instead.

I'm not as much of a LN guy anyway, would have bothered if it was mango.

I agree with the anon that said the voices carried the show.
>>
>>141791304
The stuff I read doesn't get delayed. Maybe you just have shit taste and YP agrees.
>>
>>141792421
>Moving the goalpost
>>
>>141792160
Then do something about it

Get your fans high demand to make them translation or hire more people involved. If Yen Press make these promises long time ago then create a lawsuit or some shit to make them suffer. Failed promises and slander will cripple Yen Press.

I'm not a lawyer by any means and I'm not good giving advice.
>>
>>141792450
Funny that you say that now considering how many times it had already moved in that comment chain.
>>
>>141782161
>>141782195

I agree for the most part but why the hell did they change

>“In this world, there seems to be a proverb that says ‘one must endure unspeakable hardships for the sake of vengeance’[9]. This must be one of those cases.”

to

>“‘You have to start somewhere,’ as they apparently say around here. Perhaps this is exactly what we need.”

? You can't call that keeping the context, it's literally a completely different proverb with a completely different meaning. And it's not like the fan translation one is jarring either.

Is the raw supposed to be the YP version or some shit? Everything else was better but this stands out, considering the revenge part was a big fucking deal when Satan started out on Earth while the YP version practically can remove that entire message entirely unless you force yourself to believe there's an implication in there.

Personally I think the best way is to edit YP stuff if the fan translations aren't up to snuff, I wonder why no one ever bothers?
>>
>>141792505
What promises? YP can release at whatever schedule they want, and high demand has never done shit about it.

Konosuba readers are fucked until 2018 or whenever they reach Vol. 10, either that or we learn moonrunes.
>>
File: 1380803237703.png (147KB, 341x334px) Image search: [Google]
1380803237703.png
147KB, 341x334px
I don't get why yen press doesn't just look at an anime chart in advance or hell even work with publishers in Japan to get a sense of when there will be anime adaptation.

Like imagine if they had 1-2 volumes of Konosuba, Re:Zero or whatever out the door already before the first episode even aired.

It just seems like poor business on their part. You should capitalize when interest peaking and hook people.
>>
>>141792575
we shouldn't have to do their jobs for them, that's why they get paid for it, it's their job.
>>
>>141792662
It's easier to capitalize on an already existing audience.

At least they can estimate an amount of readers from the people who follow the fan translations.

They could do better though, taking too long means progressively losing audience, so they should strive to be fast for recent series.
>>
>>141792628
>remembers the high demand for mahouka back in the day
>just now getting the first volume out.
>>
>>141792662
Why guess what will be good and what won't when you can just wait for it to succeed and jump on the bandwagon?
>>
>>141791962
I'm not saying that the blog's suggestions for alternatives is any good, but what he pointed out is fact and if you claim it's nitpicking you're in no position to claim fan translations are worse just because you cherry picked the MTL ones.

>>141792330
Like here you are clearly showing your bias for Latin thinking it's some kinda objective measurable result when to everyone else you're no different than the guy suggesting French.

If you can't even accept that you may as well just end yourself.
>>
>>141792505

That delusional. This institution is really fucked up because nobody gives a shit about chinese cartoons. That's the only reason you can pirate this stuff in the first place without having the cops knocking on your door, and this is the flipside of it.

The one, true way to make this dream accessible is a truly anonymous pirate site set up as a Tor hidden network. And then, you need dedicated J-E translators who are doing it for the love of translating, desire to foster community, desire to tell the copyright facists to fuck off and less desire to go full Japanese once they've mastered the language.

There's a reason the fan community lacks good translators despite having seen such translators in their ranks over the years - people get jobs, or go full Japan, or lose interest in anime. 4chan as-is is basically a zombie sucking off CrunchyRoll and Horrible. This site is literally undead because the content providers who once serviced it are almost all gone.
>>
>>141792846
It's a fact that memes and engrish are in the novels sure, but it's not a fact that his suggestions are good nor is it even a fact that what he's pointed out is even bad. I realize that I might also biased in what I am suggesting, but it doesn't change the fact that objectively speaking there's no real reason it couldn't be Japanese, and would in fact be the most obvious choice considering your audience and where the novel is from. The fact remains that the entire blog has maybe one point that would objectively be called a reason to think the translation is low quality and even that one might have a good reason for it.
>>
>>141792708
That's not the point, it's just a faster way to fan translate while keeping up quality. Take their good, throw out their bad. If guys like niggerstream can keep up raw providers, and /a/ can have viz dumps and such, LN translators sure as hell can figure out a way to jew the jew press.

But I digress, most translators in the LN community have relatively high morals, backwards as it might be. Kinda like how the 'average' fan translation would be like an economy car, and then a localization would be a luxury, and if you cherry pick the localization to improve it that would be a supercar.

Everyone talks about better quality as one of the main reasons, but no one's ever willing to take it that extra mile. Funnily enough, subs are basically purely the supercar method nowadays.
>>
>>141792824
>Insert "what year is this" meme here
>>
>>141793009
>objectively one point
>objective

according to who, you?
>>
>>141793026
you know what, you may be on to something here
>>
>>141793126
Grammar being bad is pretty objective anon. Things like "I didn't like the memes" aren't, this isn't difficult.
>>
>>141793009
Emulating is not a good reason when it's done poorly. You can claim the Citra plays 3DS games all you want but nobody actually fucking wants to play a 10 FPS run of Mario or Fire Emblem.

And you're acting like he covered all the problems. He would write his own light novel about it if he did that. All I'm saying is that when I read NGNL paperback and compared it to say, Spicy Wolf paperback, the former was dog shit and gave examples cause you asked for them. And Spicy Wolf was kinda bland, but it was still passable since I didn't buy the ugly ass cover version.

You do realize the guy who translated NGNL was barely qualified as a translator right? I'm not gonna spoon feed you this time in case people get anal again, but pretty much half of the translators on /a/ had higher qualifications than that guy.
>>
where's my fucking volume 8?
>>
>>141793260
>Things like "I didn't like the memes" aren't, this isn't difficult.

The politically correct changes are not categorized as "I didn't like the memes" and no amount of rationalizing is gonna change that, but I'll be honest since I'm not a burger I didn't care about NGNL that much, but more in general.

Can't wait for fucking Youjo Senki YP license!
>>
>>141793302
He might not have given every example, but generally speaking you try to give the most convincing or damning examples when making a point. So if you give 5 examples and only one of them sticks it makes it seem like the rest of your examples aren't going to be very good, whether or not they are.
>>
>>141793009
Hey so since you're apparently really qualified, explain >>141792575

And by that I mean I wanna know what the raw means I have no opinion on what's better, I just wanna know which is the accurate one, if even either is. I just wanna know the truth.
>>
>>141793395
What politically correct changes are there in NGNL? I'm aware Index was garbage so don't go bringing that up.
>>
If it didn't fill me with rage, I would laugh at the fact that normalfags with their retarded "I support the industry" antics are the ones harming it the most via these fuckers
>>
>>141793470
I don't know where you think I have any qualifications besides basic critical thinking but I don't speak Japanese so I can't tell you what the raws say. I haven't heard that proverb before, haven't read whatever series that's from and don't really know what it's aiming for so I can't tell you much.
>>
>>141770247
any release date?
>>
>>141793530
>normalfags harming the industry more than the shady businesses

No. The masses definitely have responsibility but the amount of control a business has far outweighs the consumer in almost any industry. You can claim the consumer just has to be smarter or get better standards, but at the end of the day that just means the businessmen have to be trickier and more cunning, like how Google started up as everyone's search bar hero and then became the botnet. That isn't to say I'm condemning the guys for jewing, but you get what I mean.
>>
>>141793530
>Am I fitting in yet, guys?
>>
>>141793530
it's even worse when the thread is infested with these shills.
>>
>>141793578
Alright fair enough but are you serious about the proverb? That shit appears in every other series about revenge. It's so meme that even Legendary Moonlight Sculptor spams it, and that's gook shit that stays away from anything nip. It's more of an Asian Culture thing referring to historical figures enduring hardship for revenge years later.
>>
>>141793628
What are you even talking about? Why don't you go force your meme somewhere else faggot.
>>
>>141793695
I don't think I've read many stories on revenge so yeah I'm serious. It might have come up once or twice but I've probably ignored it.
>>
>>141793623
Don't worry, the point got across.
>>141793628
>Am I fitting in yet, guys?
>>
>>141791744
If only you could check and see yourself.
>>
>>141792859
There is also I2P, but the speeds may be a bit slower. There is also ZeroNet as well which makes it hard to go after too.
>>
>>141794623

ZeroNet sounds very promising since Bittorrent isn't viable over Tor, but I don't trust it. The kind of translators I described are very rare people, and in the 10 years I've been on /a/ I haven't seen one that dedicated to telling copyright to fuck off. You have to guarantee these guys protection or else party's over.
>>
So how slow will it be?
>>
>>141795673
2-3 volumes per year
>>
>>141796132
I find it odd that they would go this slowly since Konosuba is not difficult Japanese. It's like Middle School level at most.
>>
>>141795634
The translators you are describing don't need protection. They need motivation to spend weeks/months to type about 10,000 words per chapter (Overlord chapters are about 25,000 words).

In contrast, manga chapters have maybe 300 words, and is much more popular than light novels.

Anyway, my point is that translating light novel is a really thankless job, so good luck in getting people to spend months of their spare time for the entertainment of a small fan base anonymously.
>>
>>141795634
The other issue I have is that you have people hosting their own websites and you don't know what is exactly is on there. Of course that is just like any other site, but the concentration of people trying to host shit you don't want can be concentrated in those types of areas. It also reminds me of freenet as other users traffic is routed through you. Of course if it is encrypted it shouldn't matter, but some people might take issue with "transporting" content they don't wish.
>>
>>141770247
Yeah, I sure can't wait for five years until they catch up!

Stupid lazy whitey can't even translate fast enough.
>>
>>141796257
http://shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/
>>
>>141796257
Well just saying that would get rid of the excuse that they are stopping because DMCA fears. Now when it comes to what you said, sure that is a valid reason like anything that takes time. Then it comes down to if they are stopping because it was picked up and rather move to something else or just find that their work will in time be for nothing since it was licensed.
>>
>>141796257

I know people who might do it. But they're terrified of identity leaks like how Satoshi got killed, or Silk Road raided. There's a sense even Tor isn't safe. So if you could manage to provide a solidly anonymous framework,
>>
>>141770247
Will they even translate the spinoffs? IIRC they don't bother translating the side-stories for Bungaku Shoujo.
>>
>>141796411
Sky didn't stop because of DMCA fears. fanfic in Amsterdam is solid, he just stopped because it is licensed.
>>
>>141796411

Most translators are namefags. There's only a handful that do work anonymously, for the good of the community, because when you translate something for the community that's imposing you're revered like a god or even paid (like sky with donations). Saying no to that is hard - usually, someone has to already have good status in society to do all that hard work for free. Hence why there's a greater risk in them doing it. If they're exposed, they have far more to lose than some glory seeker.
>>
>>141792086
Index Light Novels Volume 7 Chapter 2, Title.
"The Roman Catholic Church".

I'll be waiting for your bullshit.
>>
>>141796352
Nice example, now find me 5 more.
Thread posts: 523
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.