[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it with Japan and incompetent main characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: End_of_Evangelion_Shinji_Ikari.jpg (21KB, 479x282px) Image search: [Google]
End_of_Evangelion_Shinji_Ikari.jpg
21KB, 479x282px
What is it with Japan and incompetent main characters?
>>
>>141019971
Shinji did his job, you fucking cunt. How dare you fucking question his manhood, when you spend your time shitposting on chinese cartoon boards?

Fuck off and die
>>
>>141019971
>21 years later and people still don't understand why Shinji wasn't a hotblooded screaming retard
>>
>>141019971
>ugh shinji is such a pussy i wish he was more manly
>refuses to watch hotblooded super robot shows
>>
>>141022632
>watching spic shows
>>
>>141019971

The only one competent character in NERV, you took it. Bravo, OP.
>>
>>141022663
please >>>/m/
>>
>>141019971
They're relateble to anime watchers like me and you.
>>
>>141020647
Shinji's a good man.
>>
>>141019971
Incompetent characters are easy to write because you can just have the supporting cast explain things to them(and the audience) without it seeming out of place.

Pic not related though
>>
It makes for easy character development
>>
For pic related it is because he had to make a decision no other MC had to burden to make, Rei or Asuka?
>>
>>141019971
They do it for ease of self-insert, /a/non. We've been over this.
>>
>>141023816
He picked neither of them
>>
File: 1462237195466.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1462237195466.gif
2MB, 200x200px
They're just making them realistic since the majority of humanity are a bunch of depressed stupid incompetent fucks who just want to stay at home with people they love until they die of old age.

That's literally considered the grandest aspiration, is dying old with all your friends long dead and being surrounded by loved ones you'll never ever see again. Nothing about life is awesome at all and Japan knows this and so does France and especially Russia.
>>
>>141023816
i want to shitpost right now but i feel too much
>>
>>141019971
What is it with the West and hyper-competent ones? I swear, it's like weeaboos want fucking John McClane to be the star of everything they watch, yet they watch chinese cartoons instead of action movies. I don't get it.
>>
>>141019971
There have been several robo anime before Eva that had a teenage boy (or even a kid) suddenly thrust into a robot's cockpit and inexplicably being able to piloting it efficiently enough to destroy alien invaders or monsters.

Anno decided to explore what would happen in such unlikely situation from a more realistic standpoint.
And guess what? He concluded that the teenage pilot would be pretty incompetent.

Outrageous isn't it?
>>
people usually like to root for the underdog when it comes to this sorta thing

sorry for using naruto as an example but imagine if he wasn't always a bumbling idiot. that'd be pretty boring yeah? like if we had to watch "Sasuke" and the protagonist was a gifted kid who only got better because it was natural, not by the seat of his pants

it's interesting to see how the incompetant prevail over the baddies, whether its by accident, a gamble, or a sudden stroke of inspiration
>>
File: sekkml.jpg (89KB, 447x359px) Image search: [Google]
sekkml.jpg
89KB, 447x359px
>>141019971
i dunno man
>>
File: JosephJoestar123.png (491KB, 466x601px) Image search: [Google]
JosephJoestar123.png
491KB, 466x601px
the opposite can also be true
>>
>>141019971
Shinji was the most competent out of the three and got the job done.

The two times he could have left he chose to stay.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.