[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which series have you seen that proves that anime can be taken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 12

File: animu eyes.png (75KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
animu eyes.png
75KB, 1280x782px
Which series have you seen that proves that anime can be taken seriously as an artform?
>>
>>139857912
Boku no pico
>>
Keit-Ai
>>
boku no >>>/wsr/
>>
None.
>>
Sengoku Basara without a doubt.
>>
Rail Wars
>>
File: 1459329457876.jpg (63KB, 558x424px) Image search: [Google]
1459329457876.jpg
63KB, 558x424px
Yuigoh
>>
Breaking Bad
>>
Monogatari Series.
>>
Kodo no jikan
>>
K-On
>>
>>139857912
>taken seriously as an art form
Explain, regardless of whether it be Naruto, 1001 Nights, or Penguin Musume Heart, anime can be taken seriously as an art form.
>>
Girls Und Panzer
>>
King of the Hill
>>
>>139858758
I think you a word here.
>>
File: 1446392508909.png (469KB, 1500x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446392508909.png
469KB, 1500x1080px
>>139858737
This and Azumanga Daioh.
>>
>>139857912
Naruto
>>
Kantai Collection
>>
End of Evangelion
>>
>>139857912
All of them.

>>139858758
I swear to god there are people who claim their shitty Youtubevideos are art, but anime isn't necessarily art.
>>
It's not whether you can take anime seriously as art

it's whether Americans can take animation seriously as arts. Americans (like you) hate animation so that's why you have a hard time wrapping your head around the concept.
>>
Love Live
>>
All of them. They all have illustrations, animation and spoken lines.

If you can't do art with pen, paper and words then you should reconsider what you think art is.
>>
>>139857912
>First Tier
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kaiba
Mindgame
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Kino's Journey
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
Angel's Egg
The Sad Belladona
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Spring and Chaos
Paranoia Agent
Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Casshern Sins
Mononoke
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yuri Kuma Arashi
Kemonozume
Naruto + Shippuuden

>Second Tier
I don't really care. All Kon movies, Trapeze, Gankutsuou, Princess Tutu, some Oshii, some Shaft, FLCL, Ping Pong, I don't really know.

I didn't try to count any short films on either tiers. There are a lot.
>>
Boku no Pico.
Fuck off with your rec thread.
>>
File: disgust.gif (905KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
905KB, 240x228px
>faggots in /a/ think anime can be taken seriously as an artform
HAHAHAHAHAH oh fuck
>>
>>139860836
>edgelord "first tier" anime
You must be 18 years or older to post on 4chan anon-kun~
>>
>>139860836
>All that good shit
>sneaky naruto
moshi moshi baito desu
>>
>>139857912
Samurai Flamenco.
>>
>>139861130
It's experience. I'm just answering the question. These are taken seriously. Yes, even Naruto, due to some aspects. Not Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, not Death Note.

What kind of anime would you like to see being promoted..? You sound compotent, please educate me.
>>
>>139860836
Niggas like you give me secondhand embarrassment.
>>
Mawaru Penguindrum
>>
>>139861310
Look, I answered the question. This is a matter of what the "art/literature/cinema circles" consider as noteworthy.

I could have added Mushishi and Cowboy Bebop to second tier, now that I think about it. But Cowboy Bebop's only because its cultural relevance.
>>
>>139861432
The art circles would consider all animation to be art you idiot. Stop flaunting around your "experience" especially in shitposting threads.
>>
>>139861594
OK, sorry, you're right, they probably wouldn't deny that "everything is some kind of art". Post-structuralism has happened, that's a paradigm now. I was just using common sense, assuming that the issue here was what works are sincerely, authentically considered worthwhile for intricate praise.
>>
>>139861761
In that case your list is utterly retarded. Kon movies less "intricately praised" than Yuri Kuma Arashi? No one has ever heard of Yuri Kuma Arashi. Stop thinking your special patrician taste is somehow objective or that deep metaphor and symbolism makes something more praiseworthy.
>>
>>139861761
How on earth do you need post-structuralism to consider anime some form of art? You'd need to at least consider both literature and all visual art "not arts" to be consistent in your classification.
>>
All of them, I think Gits should be a definitive though.
>>
>>139862083
OK, you're right, I haven't been completely consistent in my attitude.

What I was thinking there is that Miyazaki gets more recognition than Kon and Kon gets more than Ikuhara and Kon's movies get more than Paranoia Agent (which is undeniably better than all of the movies). What I've figured out is, these are solely due do accessibility (most "art circle" people don't like dumping a lot of time into series, whereas they can appreciate doorstoppers in literature, I don't really know why) and the amount of exposition the works get. Since there was no way to include Miyazaki in such a list (I couldn't bear it), I had to make some adjustments. You would be right in saying that this damaged my realistic approach.

You're right about Yuri Kuma Arashi not being that good, but "gender studies" and LGBT fanatics exist, and they're interested in art and they'll love Ikuhara, you can't do anything about it.

I don't really like these anime now, I used to, not as much today. I might be slightly retarded, I probably am, but I was just trying to help OP, I hadn't noticed OP was here for shitposting too. Sorry that I've caused a hustle.
>>
>>139862382
I went all the way ahead so that we wouldn't have to argue about what is will, what is production, what is intention, what is work, what is author etc. at any point.

There are people who'd deem things "art" only based on intuition today, or based on the (presumed) quality and sincerity of the author/composer. So, some people don't consider any anime and most literature art.
>>
>>139862716
No, shut the fuck up. I'm 100% confident you have done no research whatsoever. Stop talking out your ass. Stop talking at all. I hate nearly everything you've said there and it'd honestly hurt me to take you any more seriously than this. You're not smart and your opinions are meaningless.
>>
File: image.jpg (157KB, 640x688px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 640x688px
Parasyte.

Was it truly deep, /a/?
>>
>>139863059
The manga was a bunch of layers deeper than the anime, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its own worth.
>>
>>139863059
I was a parasite when i was deep in your mom
>>
Nami
>>
>>139862945
OK, well, thank you for your concern up to now then. I don't think I'll stop posting (since there are other people here too), but if I accidentally respond to one of your posts, I apologize beforehand (there's no way to know, since, you know, anonymity and all). I would certainly appreciate any attempt at explaining your frustration with me, but I don't claim that I deserve it. I'm definetely not smart now (I have brain damage, I'd like to recover, but it's not like I'll stop every activity in anguish of this condition, that'd be too difficult), and you are absolutely correct in saying that my opinions are meaningless.

You're wrong in I've made no research, however, so, you can be wrong in your confidence too, I don't want to give you unfair credit. Maybe since we're living in much different cultures/environments/social circles our observations turn out contradictory, maye it's just that I'm too stupid to infer appropriately. On the other hand, I have done research and I have spent time on these matters, no matter how futile.

Thank you for everything.
>>
File: questionmarkgirl.png (362KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
questionmarkgirl.png
362KB, 700x700px
>>139862945
Not him, but damn dude, relax...
>>
>>139860168
EoTV is leagues above EoE
>>
>>139857912
The general public agrees that Studio Ghibli productions are great art. Not a series but...
>>
File: 1460137064455.png (649KB, 813x679px) Image search: [Google]
1460137064455.png
649KB, 813x679px
>taking cartoons seriously
>>
>>139863813
>taking art seriously
>>
>>139864248
>taking seriously
>>
>>139863813
>>139864248
does it even make a difference whether you do or don't
>>
>>139864404
>seriously
>>
>>139864404
>there are people here who don't live entirely beyond the veil of sincerity
>>
File: KeionButts1.jpg (2MB, 1032x2938px) Image search: [Google]
KeionButts1.jpg
2MB, 1032x2938px
>>139857912
K-on!
>>
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=56133519
>>
>>139861130
>>139861310
Go batch to your Kyoani shit faggots
>>
>>139864680
Kyoani shitters are truly autistic
>>
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
>>
>>139861310
Too embarrassed to say "cringe" since it's popular now?
>>
Sword ART online
>>
>>139864900
>>>/v/

Also

>Replyng to a rec thread
>>
File: UPkhsWy.jpg (89KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
UPkhsWy.jpg
89KB, 500x667px
>>139860836
>>
Usagi Drop
>>
>>139865614
>I don't browse /a/ at all.
Then don't post.
>Why are recommendation threads so despised?
See above.
>>
>>139865614
Because we have two boards dedicated to make requests and /a/ is not one of them.
>>
>>139865709
>>139865734
>make any thread asking for anime
>/a/ get temper tantrum
>make thread asking for smug girls and lolis
>thread hits limit

sasuga /a/
>>
>>139865525
>>139865589
kill yourselves moeshit degenerates
>>
>>139865936
>Everyone on /a/ is the same person

Nah you are still retarded
>>
>>139866022
/v/-kun is kawaii when he is mad
>>
>>139862945
You need some cream for that anal pain you're having?
>>
>>139865709
OK, thanks for nothing. I guess I'd better attach a waifu picture and top it with a self-conscious idiotic remark? OK.

Gee anon, it's like you don't even want redemption.

>>139865734
That would make sense, if anything common here was in any way better, if you ask me. Also, it's not a straight-up rec thread, there's been going on discussions on different topics. Lastly, even if the rules seperated boards as "for rec" and "not for rec" (which seems to be the case), I wouldn't really support them. What do rec threads do, like, contaminate the... rest of the contamination?
>>
Bible black.
>>
>>139858629
The only correct answer
>>
Entertainment only needs to entertain and make money for people making it since we live in capitalistic system.
Only marxist feminists want entertainment be something more than that.
>>
>>139863813
I know this is shitposting, fuck you, but let me adress something:

Why the fuck does people complain when a medium "takes itself seriously" ? I mean, how can that be a complaint at fucking all? I've read people saying "This anime takes itself too seriously" or "this game takes itself too seriously". What the fuck does that even mean? It's as empty as saying "X is so pretentious". It's literally just "I don't like thing".

What's wrong about trying to relay a message? If some anime has no constant slapstick or gag episodes or a boke-tsukkomi routine every few minutes, is it automatically shit?
>>
>>139866334
No one is forcing you to stay
>>
File: Matthew_Arnold.jpg (108KB, 592x751px) Image search: [Google]
Matthew_Arnold.jpg
108KB, 592x751px
>>139866384
>Only marxist feminists want entertainment be something more than that.
Marxist revisionist please go
>>
>>139857912
El chavo del ocho
>>
>>139866582
OK, that's a proposition I agree with. I don't agree with the intention behind it though.
>>
>>139857912
I'm convinced that /a/ is the worst place on the internet to discuss art.
>>
>>139867210
Seems like it.

What's the deal with the enmity with /v/, by the way? I thought video games and anime went hand in hand (at least in the mainstream).
>>
>>139867329
/v/ is so awful that it isn't even in contention for places to discuss art. In the same sense that I wouldn't even consider Reddit, I wouldn't consider /v/.

Don't post unless you frequent the board. Please.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>139867428
I don't frequent /v/ either. I don't frequent anywhere, and I'm not going to "lurk moar". I also won't resort to the "I have a life, I'm busy with things better and more important than shitposting, you lowlifes" meme. I just don't think that regularing boards or posting or lurking are significant, so I'll just keep posting whenever I feel like. Sorry for not meeting your cultivated taste for anonymous posts, I guess?
>>
>>139867689
>I'm proud to be cancer
Also don't forget to sage shit threads.
>>
>>139867428
/v/ is almost entirely the same as /a/ and shares about 70% of its userbase (though it makes a much smaller fraction of /v/'s populace)

They have decent discussion when the kids are asleep or shitposting in alternate threads, just the same as us, it's just that new vidya doesn't come out every day, so board culture fills in the blanks with tertiary nonsense and off topic discussion.
>>
>>139867689
You could just kill yourself too
>>
>>139867913
>/v/ is almost entirely the same as /a/ and shares about 70% of its userbase
This is the problem.
>>
This is clearly a shitty rec thread so fuck off OP and even if it is not. Anime is not an art, it is a step up from stick figuires.

>>139867329
>enmity with /v
Go have a look. It use to be a boogeyman or meme because they were kind of annoying and always asked for recommendations while being smug about the five anime they have watched.

But /v/ now is awful and this is someone who browsed there years ago I eventually went there one day and decided I could not stick it anymore.
It is wall to wall force memes that never ever go away, pepe and shitty feel meme are prime examples instead of coming up with something new they just evovle.
Another thing is e-celelbs, they are obssed with ecelebs the ones they like and don't like causes constant twitter based threads to spawn that are not even related to video games.
The worse thing is console wars, consoles wars use to be kind of a joke but every single thread gets derailed as if the idea of someone owning more than one platform to play games on is impossible.
>I like x
>hurr durr fucking sony faggot fuck off, pc master race
Everyone is forced into some shitty faction.

/v/ is pretty much hated on all boards, go look at /qa/.
>>
>>139867329
>>139867913
No one likes game gaters
>>
>>139867913
I've never been on /v/ so this is enlightening.

I suppose my view of it is warped.
>>
>>139867964
I could. I didn't say I'm too eager to live.

>>139867876
I don't know how to sage, can you teach me anon-sama?

>>139867913
OK this explanation is more agreeable -- but why the hatred here then?
>>
>>139867994
I play videogames too but I never talk about them specially not on /v/. Geeks are terrible people but "gamers" are by far the most cancerous.
>>
>>139867994
Thanks for the long response. Hmm. What you tell about /v/ are definetely dislike worthy, but, what better does /a/ have? Can you tell how you enjoy this board more?
>>
>>139868128
3/10 bait
try harder next time.
>>
Where are the mods?
>>
>>139868321
Part of it was bait. I don't know how to sage, but I don't want you to teach me.
>>
>>139857912
Nice thinly veiled request thread
>>
>>139857912
First is is 5 cm/s
and then perfect blue
>>
>>139868686
Shinkai's works look shiny, nothing more. And I think the best looking is The Garden of Words.
>>
>a jar of vibrating dead wasps is considered art
>a room with a light switching on and off is considered art
We can savely say that Anime is art.
We can also savely say that modern "art" is bullshit.
>>
>>139865614
The idea is to prevent neverending flood of rec-threads (especially by people from somewhere else).
This may be a thinly veiled rec-thread, a serious question or (what I think) provoking, but at least it offers some possibility for proper discussion (no matter how shitty).
>>
angels egg was pretty artistic, although i dint understood what t was about at all
>>
>>139869225
Alright, thanks, I'm satisfied. I can see rec threads turning out to be trouble here, since anime is so immensely popular and enjoyed by moderates and savants alike.

I agree with your view on this thread too.
>>
>>139869320
You don't have to accept any standardized interpretation, but the main take on it is that it's about Christianity (or Gnostic Christianity), salvation, God, Christ etc. Also, the ending is a reference to Tarkovsky's Solaris, you don't need to really think too much about it.
>>
King of the hill
>>
>>139868276
>Can you tell how you enjoy this board more?
We talk about Anime, the board is big but pretty secluded so that there is diversity. /a/ as a whole is pretty fucking awful but you can find some good threads each season, it is a good place to find Anime to watch(without outright asking) and news on the Anime world.

It is the little things I like about /a/, it can make me laugh without being faggots about it, can show me some interesting stuff I did not know and some /a/nons are pretty cute.

>>139868206
Gamer culture is cancer, I play games too but according to everyone games are either shit or don't fit with their agenda. If some asks me if I like games I say no.
/v/ is no place to discuss games especially new ones because of the cycle of hatred it goes through.
>Game is annouced
>Wall to wall shitposting about how the game is bad
>Some stuff is teased
>Wall to wall shitposting about how the game is now ruined
>Reviews about the game come out
>HAHAHAH 9.5 OUT OF 10? Checkmate (insert platform preference here) fags
>Game comes out
>Silence, people are playing the game a few days later there are some minor threads discussing it that get shitposted to death.
>Games is a bit old now, no one who likes it is talking about it or moved to /vg/
>Threads are now about remember how terrible it was.

I just go in blind now, I watch the first trailer then ignore it until the game comes out.
>>
>>139857912
The question is inherently pointless, since all anime is art by definition.
"Art" does not imply "Great Quality of Supreme Awesomeness", since this would be highly subjective anyway (I will never be able to appreciate modern art, i.e.). Art simply means one of three things: visual creation, auditory creation and storytelling.
Anime (as well as all movies or shows) combine all three.
>>
>>139869401
>Savants

Highschool dropout/10
>>
>>139869498
Well, christian symbolism was all over the place but i could not really figure out something coherent.

I read somewhere that it is somehow related to mamoru oshi personal experience of abandoning christian faith.

And about solaris, i only read novel, wonder if it is much different from tarkovsky movie
>>
>>139868373
Right now we have

>Request thread
>Vegetarianism thread
>Normalfag threads

/a/ is death
>>
>>139869780
Alright. Thanks.
>>
>>139870063
>Vegetarianism
Huh? The Dragon Ball thread? You know, because of Saiyans?
>>
>>139857912
Kemono no Souja Erin would be my pick. The animation itself is not necessarily the greatest, but it tells its story in a very powerful way through it's storyboarding, music, and characters.

Also, Usagi Drop.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>139869873
I have brain damage AND I'm not a native speaker, have mercy on me for using whatever word that first comes to my mind (other than "otaku" in that instance, but it felt like a too outdated term so I had to opt for something else).

>>139869907
Yeah, figuring out something coherent depends mostly on your intuition and your confidence in it. Some people just don't like to assign meanings of their choice to things and it's fine. Some people love to produce their own meaning out of works of art and that's also fine. Angel's Egg is definetely not an easy movie to get something concrete out of apart from themes and mood.

I haven't read the novel, but I know that it's really different from the movie. I doubt Oshii read the book either.

>>139870063
Post links please, I'll try to keep them up and going.
>>
>>139870145
>>139858794
>>
>>139870484
>>139867876
>>
>>139870491
That's just a stupid quotes thread.
If you think that's amongst the worst /a/ ever offered, then congratulations.
>>
>>139870787
Oh wait, halfway it becomes a stupid discussion.
Eh, at least it's not a show discussion thread.
>>
>>139857912
Corey in the House
>>
>>139857912
I\d say Jojo, or Cowboy Bebop film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUk3db82tSA
>>
>>139869812
You're forgetting about design creation, which covers things like UX and gameplay.
>>
>>139857912
Iblard Jikan
>>
>>139862716
>Paranoia Agent (which is undeniably better than all of the movies)
What the fuck is wrong with you? It and Paprika are his worst, and this isn't a very rare opinion, either.
>>
>>139874224
And you'll say the best is Tokyo Godfathers?

I was exaggerating, I don't think it's undeniable (as you proved by denying). On the other hand, it's Paranoia Agent > Millennium Actress > Tokyo Godfathers > Paprika = Perfect Blue for me and I'm insistent on Paranoia > the rest.
>>
>>139874492
No, I'll say the best is Millennium Actress.

Also, since you're actually still here, I just want to say that I agree with the other guy that your list is silly. You can't try to judge common opinion and then start throwing in your own bias arbitrarily.
>>
>>139874649
I think I admitted being inconsistent. I won't defend myself by saying "we're not doing science". It's just that trying to come up with a broad but selective, satisfactory list is difficult, especially when there is not much literature on the issue.

Do you think my list is generally too far off? What would you change? What would your list be? I'm guessing you wouldn't make a list since it would inevitably be imperfect..?
>>
Spirited Away is now to the point that some schools show it as part of film classes. I'm pretty sure that makes it the undisputed winner of this thread.
>>
>>139875435
>>>/v/
>>
File: 44ec7ba902b08_01.jpg (55KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
44ec7ba902b08_01.jpg
55KB, 1000x1000px
>>139858041
>>139858041
>>139858041

But for real ALL anime is art. Art can be silly and sexual and whatever else. So yes, even Boku no Pico is art.
>>
akira
>>
>>139857912
Yuru Yuri is a beautiful example of Anime As An Artform, from the stunning animation all the way to the simply sublime subtleties of the relationships defined in such a way that both casual and clever viewer can appreciate the stimulation of senses Yuru Yuri provides.
The presentation and 'many levels' interpretation of this show allows it to overstep the boundary from 'anime', to 'artform'. Simply stunning.
>>
>>139860648
What is Black dynamite?
What is Samurai Jack?
What is Avatar: Last airbender?
>>
>>139878959
Also Boondocks.
>>
None, fuck off
>>
>>139858577
>But this is Japan
I believe Duelist Kingdom was in California, even in the sub/manga
>>
Legend of the galactic heroes is the closest thing to what would be considered 'good television' if shot in real life.
Thread posts: 141
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.