[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a thread about fight choreography. What do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: grrrrrrr.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
grrrrrrr.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
This is a thread about fight choreography.
What do you think is good, and what do you think is bad fight choreography?
The worst fight choreography in anime, to me, is the type with no thought put into it. It looks flashy and stylish, but the characters act as if they're on autopilot. The final battle from the first arc of sword art online is a good example of this terrible fight choreography. Kirito just wails on his opponents shield without trying to outsmart or outflank him. There's little coherency to it.

Contrast that fight with the fight against Ramba Ral in Mobile Suit Gundam. Each action in the fight has a consequence to it. You can see the characters putting thought into their actions, and these actions have impacts on how the fight progesses.

https://youtu.be/R3g-H-X9oGM?t=32s

What do you think makes for good and bad fight choreography?
>>
What do you think of ufotable's fight scenes?
>>
posting Maria before anyone else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOJFyTl1U
>>
>>139845031
>Contrast that fight with the fight against Ramba Ral in Mobile Suit Gundam. Each action in the fight has a consequence to it.

I'm a huge UC Gundamfag, but don't pretend that had nothing to do with the budget and animation limitations of the time.
>>
Sakamoto has the best fight scene in the season so far, followed only by Re:Zero.
>>
>>139845031
>What do you think is good
Tomino going wild.
>what do you think is bad fight choreography
Nagai Space.
>>
>>139845031
The fight with Spike and the other guy from the Cowboy Bebop movies in the train was pretty zozzle
>>
I don't know about best, but the worst is definitely shit like Kill le Kill, where every single hit tries as hard as it can to have ridiculously high impact. If everything is maximum intensity, it just gets boring, and that garbage was all about that. Just awful.

>>139845631

I've only seen webms but there's way too much fucking "spin the camera around as much as possible" to be able to tell what's going on and it's either confusing or boring. See: Kara no Kyoukai.
>>
>>139845031
That one early fight in Chaika was good.

>ninja-ish guy with rope daggers vs giant russian man with two-hander sword
>ninja makes good use of the cramped space on the bridge
>goes spiderman all over the place
>can attack from range and weird angles because rope daggers
>big man's sword attacks have weight to them
>makes up for lack of speed by kicking
>fast, simple boot to the gut that hurt the ninja guy bad because big guy stronk

Now when was the last time you got to see an anime large weapon user actually kick or elbow his opponents instead of just swinging nonstop?
>>
>>139846992
Fucking this. It's like because they're holding a sword they're somehow only allowed to attack with the sword for some reason.
>>
O B L I G A T O R Y Sword of the Stranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY
>>
>>139847106
you know looking at the kirito fight again, it's actually disappointing how lazy it was because there was a decent set up. W could have seen some neat things like Kirito trying to pull away the big guys shield with the swords hand guards, and try to pry it open while he defends with the other sword. Or maybe the big guy could have done a shoulder charge with his shield. Or maybe you could have had Kirito try to flank around him and try use the weight of the shield to his advantage.

So much fucking wasted potential in SAO
>>
File: HDtrailer15.jpg (96KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HDtrailer15.jpg
96KB, 1920x1080px
>>139845031
Berserk movie trilogy actually has stellar fighting most of the time. I imagine they got someone who knew his shit about actual techniques.
>>
Sword of the stranger is pretty neat with its fight choreography
>>
>>139846673
>>139846992
>>139847314
I'm noticing a trend here. Bones is great at choreography
>>
I actually like fighting scenes based on raw skill and ability more then tactical ones. Dunno why. What I don't like is "hurr who got the strongest punch?"
>>
The only reason I remember this show was for this one fight.
>>
>>139848017
Skill is just short term tactics.
>>
A great fight doesnt need to be fully realistic but rather a mix of appealing and believeable motion.Norio Matsumoto's work, especially in Naruto is my favourite. There's believable weight and the choreography intricate.
>>
>>139848460
>Norio Matsumoto
Yeah his stuff in Naruto was great, especially part 1 stuff: sasuke vs orochimaru and naruto vs sasuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r818ApIgK5w
>>
>>139847930
Too bad they kept raising the power scale in Chaika as the series went by, and by the end of the first season it had mostly degenerated into shounen-style my special power/trick vs your special power.
>>
File: arlong2.jpg (83KB, 630x470px) Image search: [Google]
arlong2.jpg
83KB, 630x470px
Luffy vs Arlong is one of the best examples of Oda's creativity with Luffy's abilities early on

Grabbing his head and pulling it to dodge the bite, stuffing Arlong's teeth into his own mouth for comic effect, the gatling into the water trying to hit a swimming Arlong, Arlong firing himself out of the water like a dart, grabbing him after he darts out by making his fingers into a net and slamming him into the ground with legs, the fight escalating after Arlong grabs his sword and going upstairs, etc.

I still enjoy the series but haki seems to have replaced some of that old creativity
>>
File: Gundam 0079 Episode 41.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam 0079 Episode 41.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>139845031
It's good choreography if you can follow what's going on and it has a certain flow to it.
Tomino is really good at this.

TTGL for example doesn't really have good choreography but the fast pace and overall crazyness makes up for that.
>>
>>139848129
The rest must be incredibly shitty then.
>>
File: 1444534583586.gif (295KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1444534583586.gif
295KB, 200x150px
>>139848129
C-CROSS-COUNTER
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.