[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I argue that Eva isn't deep. It merely pretends to be deep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

File: download.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
I argue that Eva isn't deep. It merely pretends to be deep in order to attract pretentious douchebags.
>>
Then you're a 13 year old arguing against 12 year olds.
>>
>>139821720

How is this news? Every knows that.
>>
>>139821720
it's really not even that deep
>>
>>139821720
It's good and that is what trully matters.
>>
>>139821720
>merely pretending
it's about depression, shinji piloting the robot just because he is told he has to is supposed to reflect how many people only live their life because everyone tells them that they should.
>>
File: 1454012147801.jpg (24KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
1454012147801.jpg
24KB, 500x414px
>>139821720
Where's the difference between being deep and pretending to be deep?

>>139821932
kek
>>
>>139821720
It has enough substance to have to carefully look at it and merit discussion of what was going on.
That's some kind of deepness.
>>
>>139821720
>I argue that Eva isn't deep
when did you argue this? Or is this a general statement, describing something you do habitually?
>>
Deep is a buzzword
>>
File: madman.jpg (77KB, 540x699px) Image search: [Google]
madman.jpg
77KB, 540x699px
>>139821720
Evangelion has a lot of themes are explored but ultimately doesn't contribute to the story. From the 15th angel onward the show really stopped being fun and become uncomfortable. I still watched it but Anno's commitment to being different from other mech shows really killed it for me.
>>
>>139825032
>Anno's commitment to being different from other mech shows really killed it for me.
It came naturally out of him being depressed though. The intent was a normal show.
>>
>>139825200
Don't get me wrong I love this anime but I just would have liked a better put together story that doesn't get to muddled at the end.
>>
>>139825696
I'll just disagree that it was muddled. The last episodes are what made it golden for me.
>>
i'm pretty sure the show started off as a pretty good mech show with some actually deep themes such as depression and coming of age, sprinkled with some biblical easter eggs. the show started to change after the director read some psychological books. So i try to watch it as two different shows because that's what they technically are and the it definitely removes some of the horseshit themes that were shoved down the audiences throats towards the end.

i also think it's a great show. many can hate it or not but we're all still talking about it 20 years after it ended.
>>
>>139826169
He named a character Jung Freud (Bravo, Anno) back in Gunbuster, so it wasn't really local to Eva.
>>
>>139823054
If you dove into a pool that was "pretending" to be deep you would get brain damage. Much like people who dive into eva thinking it is deep.
>>
>>139826169
>watch it as two different shows because that's what they technically are and the it definitely removes some of the horseshit themes that were shoved down the audiences throats towards the end.
The only horseshit here is that justification
>>
I argue the contrary.

I argue that every piece of imagery displayed served a purpose with its relation to the plot, and to a heavy extent, its production as a whole. And while it may not be necessary to convey the story, there is substance behind all of it.
>>
What a deep show

inb4 The Sopranos
>>
>>139821720
>stop liking things that i dont like

you can fuck off now retard
>>
File: 2c4.gif (944KB, 339x336px) Image search: [Google]
2c4.gif
944KB, 339x336px
>>139826461
>christian imagery because it looks cool
>>
>>139821720
I argue that Eva isn't good. It merely pretends to be good in order to attract pretentious douchebags.
>>
Eva is actually deep. People who like it and say it isn't just aren't confident in defending an opinion.
>>
>>139827725
That's a dumb statement though. I mean religion isn't the central theme of Evangelion if people watched the show and that's what they got out of it it means they are pretty bad at interpretation and understanding visual storytelling.
>>
>>139827936
I argue that your post isn't clever. It merely pretends to be clever in order to attract pretentious douchebags such as myself.
>>
>>139826169
Curious for your reasoning. If you like the fact that it dealt with themes such as depression and coming of age, then what were the later added themes and why were they so bad?

I thought Eva was pretty consistent in its themes.
>>
Eva is deep, mostly so in it's characters and the way it goes about their portrayals and troubles. It's a very human show, despite the setting and End of Evangelion is something that got to me on a very deep and emotional level. Its fair to say that it might not be for everyone.
>>
ITT: people who don't understand Eva.

NgE is not about the story, the Christian symbolism or being deep, eva is all about the characters. It has one of the best cast of characters ever put to screen, and the show does a wonderful job, analyzing, developing and deconstructing them. Eva is not about the mecha battles or the waifus, it's about the difficulties of human communication. Anno wrote stuff he was familiar with, he had Asperger's syndrome and that aspect of his personality can be seen in all of his characters. What makes his characters so special is how personal they are to him, and that's why they are so well written. I know psychology and i have studied autism/Asperger's, and I can tell you all right now that Anno is a genius at writing such characters.
>>
>>139828828
This.

From my experience, there are two kinds of people who dislike Eva:
Normalfags who have never dealt with existential dread and autistic otakus whose way of life the show criticises.
>>
File: 195.png (280KB, 596x305px) Image search: [Google]
195.png
280KB, 596x305px
>>139821720
Apparently this shit IS too complex for my dumbass.
How is Asuka bandaged? Have they been living post third impact for a while in complete insanity and Shinji just one day decided to choke her? Why was she remade with injuries from the LCL? Why isn't she dead?
And is it an alternate ending? Or just complementary? Seems to me like Shinji accepted what was going on in the series.
Also the fuck is up with Rei apparitions?
>>
>>139828828
Oh fuck off
>>
>>139828828
my only complaint about the show was episodes 25 and 26. i just couldn't handle the autistic rampage for 2 entire episodes. i couldn't tell if the episodes were meant to actually give me autism or if it was an unfortunate side-effect, but i haven't been the same since.
>>
>>139829349
In the last episode Shinji breaks instrumentality. Those two episodes are about what is going on throught Shinji's mind.
>>139828655
I also want to know.

Eva it's about the chracters, the monsters and mechs are just puppet shows. The judeo christian symbolisms are just for the cool factor.
>>
>>139828828
>I know psychology and i have studied autism/Asperger's

Are you a board certified clinical psychologist?

No?

Fuck off
>>
>>139829655
Well then, I'm just puzzled about EoE Asuka's bandages.
>>
>>139829465
i love the last 2 episodes. I have rewatches them the most. Especially the last 5 minutes of 26. they contain my favorite scenes from the whole show (Rei's monologue, alternate universe and everything leading up to the congratulations scene ect)

Also, I kinda dislike end of evangelion, it was a wonderful movie, but while the end of episode 26 always leaves me with a really positive feeling, EoE leaves a bitter taste. Maybe it's because the last arc of NgE (16-25) went on a downwards spiral into depression, with each episode being more and more negative, and then it picks up from that in the last five minutes and manages to deliver a happy ending that makes me feel warm inside and makes mental up every time is see it (the first time i saw this, i came out of my relationships and alcohol induced depression). So the final 2 episodes will always have a special place in my heart...
>>
>>139821720
You merely pretend to be controversial in order to attract replies.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 443x332px
>>139821720
>>139821720
I'm a really big fan of evangelion, I watch it again like every 3 years or so, and I must say it is not really as deep or confusing as I taught back in middle school. Yet I dont feel it is pretentious.
>>
File: 1438907672846.jpg (188KB, 605x632px) Image search: [Google]
1438907672846.jpg
188KB, 605x632px
>this thread
>these kids
>>
>>139830404
Poor Aoba.
>>
>>139829916
No, But it's my family's hobby to research psychology. One of my sisters is had clinical depression, my brother is an autist, who is fully functioning human being, but he cannot communicate with us, I fake having aspergers so I could earn 300 a month without doing anything, Get a special deals, waveing my documents around. I also don't have to work and don't have to go to the military (that was the main reason this fraud) if I had sent me to military, then i would have had to cut off my beautiful long hair. And my other sisters is currently learning psychology in university (she wants to become a psychiatrist) and my mom studies aspergers/autism very carfully.
>>
>>139830766
So you know jack shit about autism. Thanks for letting us all know to ignore you.
>>
>>139828828
Lain shows Aspergers better than NGE does desu

t. Aspie
>>
>>139830766

Impressive fraud scheme, welfare parasite
>>
>>139830404
that guy had it tough

>be the designated 'look at computer and scream stuff' guy
>completely irrelevant most of the time since everything is off the scales anyway
>everything starts blowing up, forced to look at computer and scream about how everything is blowing up
>Armageddon happens and everyone seems okay with being turned into tang but you
>scream like a bitch because your computer is broke and you're going to be killed by naked clones of your boss's dead wife
>die experiencing absolute terror
>but at least you got to scream at your computer one last time
>>
>>139831220
His fault for not liking Misato.
>>
>>139831220
He just wanted to play air guitar ;_;
>>
>>139830178
I really love both, the original ending and EoE.

I think episode 25&26 are a lot better if you rewatch them after having watched EoE. You understand the context and the things that are said are pretty well thought out in my opinion. I haven't rewatched it in a while and I know I risk people calling me out for thinking an anime is intelligent, but I remember watching 25&26 a second time and while the things that are said are even kinda simple, they're so true for so many people out there, but most of the time you don't dare to reflect on all that stuff.

While it seems a lot more negative, I also really like the ending to EoE. While 25&26 are more happy and they're not wrong in what they represent, EoE's ending seems a little more grounded. You can learn to love yourself, but even if you realize that it's not all that easy. I feel that EoE better represents Anno's mindset that while change is possible, it's really hard and takes a lot of time and effort, which is represented in Shinji revealing his actually aggressive side and then falling back into his weak 'act' and Asuka being the exact opposite.
>>
File: 1450724290406.jpg (90KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1450724290406.jpg
90KB, 620x670px
>>139831220
Now THAT is a funny post, anon
>>
File: 1458359036194.jpg (186KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1458359036194.jpg
186KB, 1280x1024px
>>139830117
they where put there to caracterize that she was wounded on those places during her battle against the MPE.

But dont worry Anon, they will be alright.
>>
>>139831781
Is Shinji supposed to be really young in that picture or is it perspective?
>>
>>139831334
>I really love both, the original ending and EoE.
But the ending of the series is what is happening in shinji's head during EOE.
EOE it's the real end, why do you think it's named EOE in the first place?
>>
File: 1457570441396.jpg (1MB, 1645x4717px) Image search: [Google]
1457570441396.jpg
1MB, 1645x4717px
>>139831834
perspective.
It was drawn by one of the guys that worked in the series and in EOE. I think he now works on trigger. "I think"
It was published on an EVA artbook.
>>
>>139831220
>last day on Earth
>have to work
fucking sucks tbqh
>>
>>139830117
>people can come back as long as they imagine themselves
or something along those lines. Asuka imagined herself like that.
>>
>>139831838
>But the ending of the series is what is happening in shinji's head during EOE.
Does this contradict anything I've said?
>>
>>139821720
I argue that you aren't actually retarded. You merely pretend to be retarded to bait people who know what they're talking about.
>>
I agree. I'm 18 and have seen over 10 animes, this is trash compared to the likes of naruto,. Literally everyone dies at the end, its just emo edgy stuff that doesn't make sense. Don't try to explain it to me, and don't you DARE say I don't understand it, I will cover my ears and yell "PRETENTIOUS! PRETENTIOUS!" because evafags are dumb and im always right. If you like this anime you are pretentious!!
>>
>>139833592
This perfectly describes the vast majority of "the anime community".
>>
The message is not deep.
The chimera surrounding the world is.

It isn't pretentious so much as it "well-informed" in its use of visual symbolism. Much of it goes over many viewers' heads.
>>
nobody goes through all the pain and suffering and sacrifice of creating a understaffed, underbudgeted hand-drawn 26 episode tv show on a pretense.

that i have to explain this to you should tell you that you know nothing about the world or what it means to be a creator. to even suggest something this ridiculous suggest that your entire paradigm of human consciousness hasnt evolved past the cliched social dynamic of an american middle school or a kids facebook. you arent qualified to even have an opinion about art, and shitheap digital spaces like this one have to be manufactured for you to even have a platform for your retarded perspective. you are a powerful argument that the internet was a mistake.
>>
>>139821720
it is deep
>>
File: rei_ayanami_chronicle.png (289KB, 900x511px) Image search: [Google]
rei_ayanami_chronicle.png
289KB, 900x511px
that schizophrenic image flashing throughout the series was pretty damn amazing at conveying emotions of panic, confusion and sadness
>>
>>139821720
>I argue
Good luck with that.
>>
>>139821720
I argue that you haven't argued anything. You're merely pretending to have an argument with nothing to back it up.

These discussions are always so fucking bad. "Deep" is a meaningless descriptor.
>>
>>139831043
Nope, I know absolutely everything about autism.
>>
>>139821720
How does one even determine "deepness"
>>
File: 1340623718224.jpg (59KB, 376x419px) Image search: [Google]
1340623718224.jpg
59KB, 376x419px
>>139831220
it's cool though his haircut lived on
>>
File: 1439499733980.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1439499733980.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>139846982
on closer inspection it's only a little similar.

my mistake.
>>
>>139833592
Naruto ending it's pandering piece of shit.
>>
Anon, art is as deep as the observer can see. These things go beyond an artist's original intentions. Stop being such a douche.
>>
>>139830402

I got around to finally watching it a couple of weeks ago and I think it's okay. I don't regard it as a masterpiece (although it is impressively animated for the most part), but its awfulness is greatly exaggerated. I also agree with >>139830178 that EoE was a let-down.
>>
>>139845496
Of course you are, you have one yourself.
>>
Why does anything that's not completley straight and narrow in terms of themes have to be the deepest thing ever or kiddie pool garbage? NGE isn't something that hasn't been explored before and not every detail is some deep unending fountain of knowledge that you coud write essays about, but who says it has to be that? At the very least it brings up some themes and executes/explores them pretty well.

And really what the fuck even is "deepness", how far does something have to go to be deep and what metric do you use to quantify it? I feel like deepness is some constant changing goal post because I could create a masterpiece with subtle themes and imagry that all intertwine and reinforce eachother and someone wont find it deep enough because they've seen something they interperated as deeper for legitimate or completely arbitrary reasons. NGE deals with the inherent problems/risks with human interaction, if that's kiddie pool stuff what's deep?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.