[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "forced drama" merely a buzzword /a/ came up with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: W0iP8fD.jpg (249KB, 1800x1121px) Image search: [Google]
W0iP8fD.jpg
249KB, 1800x1121px
Is "forced drama" merely a buzzword /a/ came up with?

If not, what qualifies as "forced drama"?
>>
I remember I used to have a good definition for forced drama and people agreed that it made sense not only to understand the term that way but also to have a term like that.
But with people spamming forced drama all over the place with no real meaning behind it I don't care to repeat my definition any more. It's not a buzzword though. It's just spam.
>>
"forced drama" means "melodrama" in memespeak. And melodrama isn't just a buzzword.
>>
>>139708551
It isn't, but then what makes a sad anime a 'forced drama', as opposed to a 'natural' drama?
>>
>>139708329
>what qualifies as "forced drama"?
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Also this >>139708551
>>
>I don't like thing
>it's forced
>>
>>139708640
It's forced if the events and dialogue aren't realistic, and seem like they're there solely for drama rather than something people would actually say in reality.
>>
>>139708640
>>139708551
>>139708928

>Melodrama
>a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions.
>taking precedence over detailed characteristics
>Characters often appear stereotyped.

memespeak/buzzwords/spam aside, I think that describes it
>>
>>139708928
See the point is, I learned what forced drama was when I watched Ano Hana.

But the dialogues sounded kinda normal to me. It was the setting that was brought to the extreme that made it look forced to me.
Childhood friend dies, everyone loses his shit. That's kinda unrealistic.

So are you sure this has to do with dialogues only? Can't there be something in the setting too?
>>
It used to be used in place of melodrama but now it's just spammed everywhere. I thought /a/ was getting slower but I guess not, it's just getting more newfags who shitpost.
>>
>>139708551
I think it's evolved into an umbrella term for really horribly contrived or executed melodrama.
>>
>>139708329
Black Rock Shooter
>>
Its when characters are treated as means to move the plot regardless of what their personality or earlier characterization is.
>>
>>139708551
This guy gets it
>>
>>139708551
Basically this. Some people enjoy that shit.
>>
>>139708551
/thread
>>
>>139708329
>Is "forced drama" merely a buzzword /a/ came up with?
Basically, yes. Only a few years ago you could Google "forced drama" and the vast majority of hits would be from 4chan. But then of course the meme leaked into the real world, probably through the sheer ignorance of American so-called academia.
>>
>>139708329
I liked this show.
Why is it "forced drama"?
I mean, the drama is the whole point of the show, how can it be forced?
>>
>>139708329
I would say " forced drama" is when the drama doesn't actually add anything to story or drive the plot in anyway. It's just drama for the sake of drama.

Sasuke almost killing Karin is a perfect example. It was supposed to big this big dark moment for the character. Oh my god! Sasuke's gone to the even darker side, he can't come back from this!

...then everybody, including the person he fucking stabbed, completely forgets abut it. You can remove that entire event and it makes no difference to the story or characters. Either of them. Betrayal and almost murder should probably have some pretty dire consequences in a story. Instead, it was just done for shock and drama and no other reason. Karin almost thought about being mad for a few days, then was like, whatever, I got penetrated. Good enough!

A perfect non anime example: everything that happens between Oliver and Felicity on Arrow seasons 3 and 4.
>>
Oh man, i recently finished the mango and while it was a good read, i could see the ending from miles away.
The only thing i think was forced was the card at the end. You can say that the inner monologues are "forced" since they are summaries of the feelings that the character felt before coming in a full package of graphic imaginery and metaphores. I have yet to see an sports manga or anime that dont do that so more than forced is an story telling device. Shigatsu was gud and at least didnt drag the plot too much.
>>
its when you watch a show about cute girls doing cute stuff and then suddenly they all get in a fight or theres some beef between them for 3 episodes and it goes back to normal
k-on had a bit, hibike had some too. know theres more but ive forgotten
>>
>>139710037
the childhood friend getting jealous was a tad forced, suddenly showed up and later disappeared
>>
>>139708329
Your mom's a buzzword.
>>
>>139710394
I think it made sense, it's obvious she was in love with him by how close they were, and it's not like it goes nowhere, she ends up going to a highschool close to his, so they probably end up dating at some point.
>>
>>139710037
It's forced because the drama and emotions they try to make you feel fall flat on their face. Only sad part is when she's on the bike with him and the final episode. Everything else is just melodrama.
>>
>>139710933
>It's forced because the drama and emotions they try to make you feel fall flat on their face.
So it's forced just because they didn't make you feel anything?
I actually enjoyed the characters on this show, I think that's an excessively subjective definition.
>>
>>139708928
Isn't that the very purpose of melodrama?
>>
>shigatsu wa kimi no uso
It was all pretty good aside from the repeating "oh shit I can't hear the piano sounds when I press the keys", until the last episode when it was revealed that KAORI LIED ABOUT DATING RYOUTA AND LOVED KOUSEI ALL ALONG . Like honestly, that shit ruined it and was forced drama 100%.
>>
>>139711085
If one anime makes me feel but another doesn't, what does that say about the anime that doesn't? The common factor here is you, remember.
>>
>>139708329
The problem I had with this show is that all the girls' skirts were so fucking short but never really showed any panties. Made me want to fap while watching several times. Especially weird considering the characters are only 14 and 14 year olds are NOT that attractive in real life.
>>
>>139711371
>what does that say about the anime that doesn't?

Something very subjective.
>>
>>139711371
>If one anime makes me feel but another doesn't
But this is perfectly normal, not every work of fiction ressonates with the same intensity to everyone, if you didn't like the drama of this show that doesn't mean it's forced, it can't be forced because the drama is the show, there's nothing more to it, you just didn't like it and that's it.

The common factor here is the anime, everyone will react differently to it and that's to be expected.
>>
>>139711529
No. Some anime are objectively better than others.
>>
>>139708640
Generally it means the the critic feels that the drama was not "earned". Rather than flowing out as a natural consequence of prior plot points and characterization it is merely happens, seemingly by author fiat. This is similar to criticism of "Deus ex machina" where conflict is resolved through a completely contrived plot device.

Both of these things can break willing suspension of disbelief and tend to diminish the audience's investment in the story.
>>
>>139711573
To objectively compare things you need quantifiable magnitudes.

Feelings are not quantifiable.
>>
>>139708329
In regards to shigatsu, it was a complete mess. I feel like the author had no idea where to go and just put several plot points that ended up unfinished.
>>
>>139709756
The concept is old, it just didn't use such a short blunt term.
>>
>>139711679
b-but muh feels...
>>
I suppose it's the opposite of drama that arises naturally and meaningfully.
>>
>>139708329
Well, in 'forced drama' the whole point of story is to make you sad because of muh suffering and stuff. The problem is that other parts of the show, like characters, dialogue and story itself is shit.

Shigatsu is a fucking garbage with a douchebag mc, boring never ending reflections, stupid comedy moments that completly ruined all atmosphere and retarded plot twist. Why would girl whos knew she wouldn't live long to mess arount with boy she loved and admired for so long and then after her death tell him the truth throu the letter? Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
Anime is complete shit for drama.

Law and Order is drama
Bones is drama
Any hospital/doctor series that isn't Dr Who or Scrubs is drama

If you speak Spanish, then you have the plethora of novelas which completely destroy anything glorious Nippon can come up with.

The stories in drama anime are complete garbage compared to live action which is the absolute KING of the drama genre.

Japan's culture and standards leads to extremely shitty romance drama. Their people are trained to hate fast relationships. These "romance" drama series end up never going past first date or holding hands or kissing, yet they still try to depict cheating (because that's the easiest way to get free drama) and the only way they can do it in these circumstances is by having MC's girl get friendzoned into another boy. They can't get past the friendzone, yet still want the element of cheating. It's fucking stupid. A fine example of this shit is Pet Girl of Sakurasou episodes 3 and 4 (and it goes full circle too, fuck you Okada).
>>
>>139713544
>If you speak Spanish, then you have the plethora of novelas which completely destroy anything glorious Nippon can come up with.
Telenovelas are retarded anon what the fuck.
>>
>>139713041
... because shes gonna die
>>
>>139708329
SAO is forced drama
>>
>>139713544
I knew a retard like you would eventually appear and sperg your stupid bullshit.
>telenovelas
As someone who's had to endure that garbage for his whole youth I can say with certitude that it's the same trite garbage as anime.
>>
>>139709118
>>139711189
It isn´t just the dialogue. It is the way the story is built. Cheap manipulation of feelings. Make someone likeable just to kill him/her.
>>
>>139711189
Yeah, and that's why melodrama is bullshit.
>>
>>139708329
Drama that didn't impact you the way the author probably intended and instead turned you away from the series
>>
>Ctrl F
>A Town Where You Live
>Zero results
>>
File: theendofshigatsu.jpg (152KB, 528x1804px) Image search: [Google]
theendofshigatsu.jpg
152KB, 528x1804px
>>139713041
>>139713747
What really annoys me about Shigatsu is that if you removed that element of her being sick, the story would have been improved. She didn´t need to be a kid who knows she is about to die so she lives her life to the fullest. She could have easily been just a genki kid. It could have been a story about how tough the music world is. The thing about her being sick just felt like a cheap and quite ridiculous way of trying to make the audience care more about her. Didn´t work for me.
>>
>>139711679

Does MAL like it?
->Yes -> It's shit
->No -> Run another check, it's probably still shit
>>
>>139711573
Correct, Kyoani's works are objectively better than 99% of anime. This isn't arguable.
>>
File: 1453149276924.jpg (6KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
1453149276924.jpg
6KB, 266x190px
>>139717498
>>
>>139708329
Synonymous with melodrama, basically.

>>139708551
this person is retarded
>>
File: mako bleh.jpg (29KB, 430x453px) Image search: [Google]
mako bleh.jpg
29KB, 430x453px
>>139717972
>>this person is retarded
But I am MORE retarded

Disregard that, I suck cocks.

Totally fucking misread.
>>
>>139708551
>>139708329
Yes and no. "Forced Drama" used correctly means melodrama, however retards will use it incorrectly as a buzzword regardless.
>>
>>139708329
Kokoro Connect
>>
>>139713544
Kek
>>
>Drama you hate
Forced drama
>Drama you like
AOTY
>>
>>139713544
>Their people are trained to hate fast relationships

Looking at how fucking slow Ippo relationship with Kumi is going I can definitely believe that, they have know each other for like 5 years, they know their love is not one-sided and the further they have gone is grabing hands and never repeat it again
>>
>>139713637
>he didn't watch Cuna de Lobos
Fucking pleb!
>>
>>139711367
The fact that you didn't pick up on the fact that she was lying from the start just means you're dense as a brick.
>>
>>139708329
half the shit that happened in hanamayata. especially the contrived "wah i'm moving to america" bullshit in the last 2 episodes.
>>
>>139713544
>telenovela
>good
What.
>>
>>139708329
OP, skip the whole thread and only keep this
>>139711662
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.