[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WN/LN thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 35

File: so much wasted potential.png (345KB, 908x391px) Image search: [Google]
so much wasted potential.png
345KB, 908x391px
Why can't the nips just play a good story straight? Why must they always fuck it up in some way?

>Reading Dragon Life
>oh neat, reincarnated into a dragon, but sharing the dragon's sensibilities, that's different
>has to eat humans to live, that's pretty brutal
>jokingly predict she'll turn into a human and fall in love with royalty or something despite eating humans alive to live
>that's exactly what fucking happens
Why even bother with the dragon plot to begin with, just make your generic shoujo to start with you fucking yellow monkey.

>start A Realist's Kingdom Reforms
>oh this is different, the hero becomes the king and a glorified manager to fix the previous fuckups
>kinda stupid how an AVERAGE nip loser knows all this economics, political, and biological shit needed for the reforms, but whatever, it's interesting
>it quickly devolves into "muh nippon grorious" wanking and SOL bullshit
>wasted hours of my life on this shit

>start Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken
>oh cool he's resurrected as a slime, that's neat
>oh cool he's only meeting other monsters, I wonder what'll happen?
>jokingly predict he's gonna end up transforming into a human soon
>that's exactly what happens
>MC spends virtually all of the story after that as a little girl and not a slime

Why can't we just have a good fucking straightforward story? Why waste good concepts if the author is just going to regurgitate the same tired bullshit cliches and recycled stories after a few chapters? All it does is get my fucking hopes up each and every time.
>>
Because the idea is to milk it for as long as possible to get more money.
>>
>>139649500
But you could have done that just fine by playing any of the concepts straight.

For Dragon Life, it could be her going to kingdom to kingdom, insinuating herself into their society, then eating the people she deemed the tastiest. Or she could have stayed where she was and demanded the kingdom give her tributes of meals in exchange for being their sacred animal and helping them in the war. So many possibilities that weren't a generic shoujo.

For Realist's Kingdom Reforms, I think even a monkey could have thought of ways to keep a good story going without resorting to nip wanking and pointless SOL filler.

For Slime, you could have just had the same general story without the guy being such a jap beta loser who spent his time as a little girl. He's supposed to be a monster for fuck's sake, why do they have to bait and switch every concept?

And that's not even touching on other shit like Dragon's Bloodline, Kansutoppou, or Kumo that manage to ruin their initial neat concepts with cliched shit.
>>
Tensei shitara slime ni datta ken was literally waste of my fucking life. Let's build an army of legendary monsters and live the life of a king only to become human again. Are you fuckin shitting me
>>
File: displeased4.jpg (28KB, 317x233px) Image search: [Google]
displeased4.jpg
28KB, 317x233px
>>139649828
Right? A whole lot of buildup for fucking nothing.
>>
>>139649698
"Good stories" dont make as much money.
>>
>>139649441
They all like money.
They all realize they have no idea where to take the story next and give up

Take your pick.
>>
>>139649966
>>139650018
Don't Western serializations and novels make pretty decent money without the same asspulls and cliches crammed into otherwise good stories? Does Japan just have a fundamentally different publication format or something?

I also thought most WNs were published as a labor of love by the author, rather than a money making venture.
>>
>>139650286
>labor of love
Maybe not as much anymore. From what you're saying it sounds like they really want it to get picked up.

Regardless, when was the last time you read or even heard of a western fantasy that aren't already known by everyone? I mean I've read only a few that aren't known by literally everybody.

Can you recommend any other LN/WN that don't do this and become trash?
>>
>>139650528
I'm liking spirit migration but I can't fucking read japanese

I'm still studying N3 for jlpt
>>
>>139650528
Huh, I thought that WNs would basically be the equivalent of Western web comics, in that they do it because they like it, and it's just a happy accident if they every make money off of it. I guess it makes sense why they would often choose to pander to the lowest common denominator if they just want to make some cash off of it.

>Can you recommend any other LN/WN that don't do this and become trash?

Normally I hate spoonfeeding, but you have to sift through so much shit to find some decent stuff that I'll hook you up out of pity. Despite my bitching, there are a few good ones I've found so far:

Girl Who Ate A Death God is a solid, if predictable publication. Girl is cool, and it's interesting seeing the subconcious effects she has on those around her without her noticing.

So far Goblin Kingdom has stayed solid. Even the "SOL" segments have import on the story (i.e. figuring out how to preserve food, making armor, hunting up some food so they don't starvve etc.) and the story looks like it's going to blow up with this next conquering arc.

Skeleton Knight, In Another World, seems on the surface like it would kinda suck (oh wow another stuck in MMO series, how new), but it's one of the only adventuring stories I've ever seen that are literally just the dude going where the winds take him and traveling around. That may change with this slave arc coming up, or it might go back to how it was, but it's damned comfy so far.

It's not Japanese (actually Russian, surprisingly), but Paladin of Avalon is a pretty good fantasy story. You have monster girls with just a little bit of kawaii uguu~ influence, cool battles, demons, fallen paladins, the whole nine. Probably one of my favorites on here.
>>
>>139649698
You can easily lose your readerbase if you aren't shitting out new chapters at least once a week

>Expecting edgy cannibalism shit from something with an obviously Shoujo premise and tagged Romance
You're looking for 転生したらドラゴンの卵だった
>I think even a monkey could have thought of ways to keep a good story going without resorting to nip wanking and pointless SOL filler.
Don't even remember what nip wanking there was.
Didn't really mind the SoL filler too much, personally felt it was a nice change of pace
>He's supposed to be a monster for fuck's sake, why do they have to bait and switch every concept?
Humans being at the top of the evolutionary chain is pretty damn standard and done in 90% of monster reincarnation stories, but yeah it's annoying
>>
>>139650528
Honzuki
>>
>>139650930
I feel like you would lose your readerbase just as well if you shit out terrible chapters, but I guess not.

>Expecting edgy cannibalism shit from something with an obviously Shoujo premise and tagged Romance

It's not edgy cannibalism if she's a dragon and did it to not die. I must have not noticed it was tagged romance, shit sucks.

>Don't even remember what nip wanking there was.

Muh nip cuisine, muh peaceful nip country ideal, muh nip media influence, muh nip culture. Just in the first few chapters even.

>Didn't really mind the SoL filler too much, personally felt it was a nice change of pace

Really? Maybe it got better later, but I dropped it by the end of that horrid fucking cooking show segment. I could just imagine the mediocre "comfy" music playing while they joke around with MC as the generic jap everyman that the girls gush over. Made me gag.

>Humans being at the top of the evolutionary chain is pretty damn standard and done in 90% of monster reincarnation stories

That's not even canonically the case in Slime though. Humans are middle to low tier in just about every category, to the point that even one of the largest human churches is just a front for vampires to easily control and feed on humans. The only reason the demon lords haven't just exterminated or dominated humanity is because for reasons unknown they just don't feel like it. There's not reason to have the slime become a cute little girl who goes to live in a human city for a few chapters aside from just cliche pandering bullshit.
>>
>>139650851
>>139651003
Thanks. I do know what it's like to troll through hundreds of bad fanfictions to find the good ones anyway. I've just never done it with webnovels.
>>
>>139649441
I wish someone would translate 幻想再帰のアリュージョニスト and その無限の先へ already.
These are the only 2 WN untranslated in the top 6 rankings of "This Web Novel is Amazing!" 2015 Rankings.
Only 幻想再帰のアリュージョニスト hasn't received a LN adaption yet.
>>
>>139649441
>Reading WN/LN
>Expecting things that good
It's like eating a bag of chips expecting fucking truffles
>>
>>139651288
It sucks probably as bad as reading through fanfictions half the time to be honest. Be wary of even recommended series in these threads in your future lurking, because a lot of them are still really bad.

>>139651374
Not enough TLers to go around I guess.

>>139651375
I don't expect truffles, I just expect my bag of chips to have chips in it, not rat shit cleverly pressed and salted to resemble chips.
>>
File: west-coast-truffle-fries[1].png (2MB, 1193x1666px) Image search: [Google]
west-coast-truffle-fries[1].png
2MB, 1193x1666px
>>139651375
>>
>>139650286
>a labor of love
Or maybe they just want the e-peen.
>>
>>139651457
I'm currently reading Shield Hero. Where I'm at right now it's still teetering on the edge of drop it or not drop it. He needs to hatch more monster eggs and form a large group but the story just keeps going off on tangents and focuses too much on "muh betrayal" and reparations bullshit.
>>
>>139651675
Shield Hero goes in my "not bad enough to bitch about, but not good enough to recommend" pile. I keep reading each release because it's enjoyable enough, but I fully agree that they need to get on with the main story already and stop going off on side stories and anguish and shit. I still enjoy it right now though.
>>
>>139650286
You are forgetting who is the target audience for this "otaku writing"
Its a particular niche, going after the bigger audience wouldnt help them at all
>>
>>139650286
And most WNs are made to be noticed and eventually go make LNs or something else, its never love but business and to be noticed you need those cliches and that kind of writing
>>
>>139649441

What do you think about kumo desu ga, where the spider turns into an humanoid god with many of her spider abilities intact??
>>
>>139649441
Japs are honestly just shit writers. It says a lot when the average American Hollywood hack writer is on the same level as Japan's best.
>>
>>139651868
I'm not advocating a different kind of pandering to widen the reader base, but rather just taking the interesting concept they start with and playing it straight for once. If that concept got the audience hooked to begin with then I feel like it wouldn't hurt to just run with it.

>>139651936
Yeah, I'm starting to get that, what a bummer.

>>139651970
I'm a little mixed on it. On one hand, the majority of the story with kumo barely talking to any people and just fighting, eating, and clawing her way to the top of the food chain was some of the most fun I've had reading in a very long time. She was cute and sympathetic, and I really felt inexplicable vicarious joy at her successes and happy meals after beating a particularly dangerous enemy. However, I didn't really care for the ending part where her wish after becoming a god is to just go back to Japan like nothing happened. What was the point of all that struggle, all that success and pain and accomplishment, if she's just going to go back to Japan and return to being a hikki loser who accomplishes and does nothing? It feels like a complete fucking waste of an experience. I still need to catch up on the chapters so hopefully she'll change her mind, but that was a huge disappointment from an otherwise very fun series.

I also really hated the S series and other side stories. They weren't necessarily bad, but they were just so mediocre, generic, and predictable that I didn't care about anything that happened and stopped reading them around chapter 190 or so (before the elf Village mini arc). The only interesting parts were the ones with Maou due to wondering which of the people in the room that Kumo was. Who would have thought she'd be two of them?
>>
>>139652215
>her wish after becoming a god is to just go back to Japan like nothing happened. What was the point of all that struggle, all that success and pain and accomplishment, if she's just going to go back to Japan and return to being a hikki loser who accomplishes and does nothing?

I'm guessing you haven't read the TWIST yet?
>>
>>139652215

I still like Kumo and I had nothing against most side stories, but i wish the arachne-part had been longer or her god-form would still be an arachne
>>
>>139651375
>Reading an OP with that pic
>Expecting someone with taste or a brain
>>
>>139652092
That's also something I'm starting to realize. A lot of the time even just shit short stories I wrote in high school and college for assignments had better writing and storytelling than some of the best Japanese WNs and LNs, which is really saying something since I am not a writer by any means.

>>139652310
Apparently not. I took a break from the series right after the big reveal (about chapter 204 I think) and haven't got back into it yet. I was just really disappointed and couldn't keep reading. Does that change?

>>139652330
Yeah that was a big disappointment for me as well. I thought the arachne was a really neat compromise between "terrifying bear sized spider that can't speak" and "ending up like every other monster story where the end goal is just becoming human again", but they ended up just playing it straight and making her basically human again anyways. I came to know and love Kumo for being a giant terrifying spider, so seeing that go so quickly was another big disappointment for me, especially since I have a feeling that she'll probably rarely adopt her spider form much anymore. In a dozen chapters they removed a lot of what made the series different and interesting to me.
>>
>>139652437
>implying recognizing wasted potential in bad series means you have no tastes

I think what makes you have no taste is unironically consuming shit when you know it's shit. Have some standards.
>>
>>139649441
Well, there is a reason why the majority of light novels and web novels are regarded as crap.

A large majority of them are. And of the ones that manage to somehow not be outright garbage, more than half of those turn into generic-anime-trope writing #239264876.

I've tried and burned out on a lot of Japanese writing, both translated and native and it really is true, the Japanese simply can't write. And the only ever argument I get otherwise is 'MURAKAMI THO!!11'
>>
File: 1459057890882.png (249KB, 967x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1459057890882.png
249KB, 967x1400px
>>139649441
I liked the slime story. But then the MC who pretty much just focuses on his subordinates got the power to resurrect his subordinates when they die after one of them did it even makes them fucking stronger when it happens too. Bringing shit back to life without consequences is probably one of the worst things you can do in fiction since it destroys any sense of suspense the reader might have.
>>
>>139652505
She was never a hikki loser". She was just a spider that got caught up in the explosion and had D's memories transferred to her.
>>
>>139652505
Reading the later chapters makes everything better
Shame about the hiatus
>>
File: ainz.jpg (145KB, 557x385px) Image search: [Google]
ainz.jpg
145KB, 557x385px
Will Ainz turn into a human at some point?
>>
>>139652215
Sounds like you didn't understand anything about Kumo if you're surprised by her end goal.

She's always, always been seeking a way to continue her cozy NEET life. She just couldn't do it in fantasy world because too weak and then as she got stronger she learned the world's about to end which meant she needed a way to get the hell out of there which led to seeking Godhood.
>>
File: img000010.png (511KB, 1129x1600px) Image search: [Google]
img000010.png
511KB, 1129x1600px
>>139652730
Oh fug, that is a twist. Thanks, gonna start reading again.
>>
>>139649441
LN/WN has always been shit. Manga is no different either
>>
>>139652616
>The Namek dragon balls can revive people more than once
>The Namekians relocate so there is no possibility of ever not having the Namekian dragon balls
>also they can be used twice a year
>and have 3 wishes
>>
File: disgusted anime girl.jpg (239KB, 1044x770px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted anime girl.jpg
239KB, 1044x770px
>every fantasy story
>hurr it's like a video game
>>
File: 1360122286623.jpg (887KB, 4871x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1360122286623.jpg
887KB, 4871x5000px
>>139652812
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE PANDERING ANON! IT SHALL CONSUME YOU AND YOUR SKELLINGTON GOD TOO SOMEDAY!
>>
>>139651200
The stuff about realist kingdom reform is pretty wrong. He's not after a peaceful country, he's after a strong country with a strong military that doesn't bow to its neighbors, he says as much multiple times. The cuisine bit is a joke too, of course after weeks / months in fantasy world he wants some cuisine like his home cuisine and is ecstatic when he realizes similar stuff exists in this world.
>>
File: You look tasty.jpg (2MB, 2418x1399px) Image search: [Google]
You look tasty.jpg
2MB, 2418x1399px
>>139649441
Have you read Shinigami wo tabeta shoujo?
>>
>>139652812
Almost definitely, judging by the trend every other "revived as a monster" story has followed.

>>139652834
I'm not surprised, just disappointed because I find it really fucking stupid after everything that happened. You can dislike the direction a story chose while still understanding why it went that way, not sure why you think otherwise.
>>
>>139652890
While I never liked the while aspect of bringing people back to life with the dragonballs in dbz they at least had some limitations with only being able to resurrect people a certain number of times. Unlike this one where it's just unlimited revives if you die.
>>
>>139652998
>>139652934

What if he doesn't turn into a human but the novels go fulltime Momon?
>>
File: 167ee4a9521c13716ffa4bf906694407.jpg (589KB, 1100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
167ee4a9521c13716ffa4bf906694407.jpg
589KB, 1100x1500px
Evil God Average
>choosing being human rather than staying as a god plus being with her friends forever
Seriously?
>>
>>139653111
She's going to be with her friends forever regardless. Once her human self dies, she's going to combine with her god self and continue on anyway.

>>139652998
Why though? Shiro made it pretty plain countless times that her personality or goal hadn't changed even with the events she went through. She wanted nothing more than a peaceful place where she could eat and sleep the days away.
>>
>>139652949
>He's not after a peaceful country, he's after a strong country with a strong military that doesn't bow to its neighbors, he says as much multiple times

While also talking about how much he desires a peaceful country like Japan again. The ends is what annoys me, not the means.

>The cuisine bit is a joke too, of course after weeks / months in fantasy world he wants some cuisine like his home cuisine and is ecstatic when he realizes similar stuff exists in this world.

If literally every other "revived transported to another world" series didn't do this then you might have a point, but it's so ran into the ground that it's just infuriating at this point. All it needed was him espousing the superiority of KATANAS to really drive home the nip wankery. Plus it's not much of a "joke" if three long ass chapters are devoted to it, plus half of one preceding to set it up.
>>
>>139652974
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Pretty neat, like it a lot, and I'm especially curious to see what happenes with Schera's weird Death God influence she has on those under her command. Can't wait for more chapters to be TLed.
>>
File: 1423775085158.png (128KB, 542x248px) Image search: [Google]
1423775085158.png
128KB, 542x248px
>>139653111
>>
>>139652998
You realize she became a God in only like a year and a half or so right? Her cozy peaceful life in Japan where she could play games all day with no worries was still extremely fresh in her mind. She's not like the other idiots that got reincarnated as humans and got years of family life and stuff.
>>
>>139653208
Nip food is pretty shit, honestly.
>>
>>139653208
Judge a series by itself, not just by other series doing it. Realist Kingdom Reform chronicles was absolutely fine for bringing up some Japanese cuisine, hell there wasn't even that much of it other than the shouyu and miso bit. The octopus and stuff were things that were already eaten in this world.
>>
>>139649441
You can't SI into a dragon or slime. LN where you can't SI are very rare and sells pretty poorly.
>>
>>139653196
Really? I fell asleep after reading the part where she decided.
>>
>>139653196
>>139653296

>Shiro made it pretty plain countless times that her personality or goal hadn't changed even with the events she went through. She wanted nothing more than a peaceful place where she could eat and sleep the days away.

Yeah, I know that, but that's exactly why it bothered me. Despite all the struggles, accomplishments, and becoming the baddest of the bad, she just wants the generic "tranquil NEET/hikki/normal life" like every other fucking reincarnation MC wants. Despite it being hinted at multiple times that she had changed at a fundamental level mentally due to her experiences and absorbing her split personalities, in the end there was no character development as a result. It's just a fucking waste of all that writing and experience if literally nothing changes even after 200+ chapters.
>>
>>139653429
Hinted at where? All it said was that her soul was going to be put back together instead of the fragmented mess she had let it become. There was no where where it said who she was was going to change.
>>
>>139653376
Isn't this whole thread about shitty tropes in WN/LN's? I get that you're an apologist but come on.
>>
>>139649441
Silly OP the premise is nothing but the hook to try and get suckers into the story so they have to continue reading to see the ending.
No matter how "interesting" your hook or premise is if you cant write you wont be able to maintain an interesting narrative going for long that is why the stories quickly devolve into anime tropes

Its also what the audience is expecting
>>
>>139653429

I hope we get past the different viewpoint of past sidestory chapters soon. at the moment it's more comedy SOL, which it is okay at, but i want to see Kumo use at least some of her powers in a non-slapstick way again
>>
File: roxy by mizukami.jpg (86KB, 472x699px) Image search: [Google]
roxy by mizukami.jpg
86KB, 472x699px
>>139653208
If you're not brought up eating Asian food (rice and stuff) you wouldn't understand the craving.

>>139653289
Goddammit Marche, you don't need to remind me.
>>
>>139652563
He's saying that someone posting an elfen lied pic talking about standards is laughable, dumdum.
>>
>>139653111

Her maid headscarf looks like teeth in the thumbnail
>>
>>139653553
Except he's bitching about stupid shit that doesn't exist. Soma in Kingdom Reform, brings up Machiavelli and Chinese stuff like Sun Tzu and almost never mentions JP shit. There's pretty much no JP wanking like he said at all except for Soma getting legitimately happy when he after months finds stuff similar to the foods he ate back in Japan. That was the only fucking time.
>>
>>139653596
Why are nips so obsessed with food? I swear no other culture brings up food in their entertainment as much as nips do. I really hate the sound of eating but it's in virtually every anime. Do nips even close their mouths when they eat? I swear it's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>139653376
But you can't judge things in a vacuum independent of other series you've read. If a series is just a ripoff or rehash on one or more other series, why would there be any merit in ignoring that and seeing how exactly it changed minute details in its cliched delivery? Maybe if that was the first "reincarnation/transported to another world" story I'd read I would be less critical, but after you've seen the same thing repeated ad nauseam a dozen or more times, you're far less forgiving on it.

>>139653544
I felt that it was hinted pretty heavily considering how the parallel Kumos had drifted substantially from her base personality. I had figured there would be a fairly significant change in her personality beyond just what her own experiences would lead to, but in the end literally nothing happened after the absorption. Her parallel selves weren't absorbed so much as just annihilated with no effect, to the point that they might as well not have bothered with explaining the ways in which they had changed from the main mind.

>>139653617
It's just a reaction image I saved off of /a/ you fucking autists.
>>
>>139653760
Their television is 80% food programs.
Not cooking programs, food programs. They have random tarentos eating random food and saying oishii.
For hours
>>
>>139653558
What a bummer. I guess my standards are just too high.

>>139653596
I was brought up eating other foods and I never had this obsession that nips seem to have with shit like rice and soy sauce. Soy sauce is pretty delicious, but they act like it's goddamn crack and they're going through withdrawals without it, it's ridiculous. Also what >>139653760 said.

>>139653739
I thought I mentioned I dropped the series after the cooking show arc? Maybe it gets better, but I'll be damned if I'm giving that shit hours more of my time after that.
>>
>>139652730
Christ that sounds retarded. Oh well, a super talent can make even the most retarded script play out entertainingly...>>139652589 >>139652092 >>139651375 ...welp.
>>
File: 1459794113356.jpg (20KB, 310x156px) Image search: [Google]
1459794113356.jpg
20KB, 310x156px
The Japanese are excellent at making creative, unique and original premises.

But once it comes into turning those premises into a full fledged story they fumble and panic and more often then not just resort to the same ol same ol and depending on how long said thing lasts the premise could be long since shoved to the side.

It's the reason I don't do the three episode rule or whatever the equivalent would be for manga. Time and time again have I seen the well run dry as fast as the 30th chapter or the 10th episode of a 24 episode show. What was once "A story about a killer whale with the ability to travel through time" becomes "But the killer whale has to go to school to learn how to control his time powers and he has to obtain a human form and so and so has a crush on him" and it all just crumbles apart.
>>
>>139649441
a story about guy being an evil demon king
>play straight
people bitch about rape and ntr
>do the usually thing
people bitch about the demon king not doing anything evil/just selling burgers.
>>
>>139653876
Kumo Desu Ga is an excellent story, how the twists and foreshadowing and things were handled were all around amazing.
>>
>>139654027
I laughed
>>
why is nip wanking always about comparison to old civilizations? do they think its subtle or do they feel it will look crazy if they take on the space age?I mean in space age they always have the yamato spirit and shit but what about the other stuff?
>>
>>139653869
You said the story devolved into "muh nippon grorious" wanking when that's blatantly false. Like I've said countless times already, there was absolutely no problem with Soma as a character getting happy about finding food similar to what he ate in Japan. It would be like any other person stranded away from home finding something similar. That in no way is Japan wanking.
>>
>>139653944
Anyone can come up with all sorts of crazy and unique premises.
Thats the easiest shit ever, its like being an idea guy
>>
>>139654099
I laughed as well at how stupid you are though I've realized already this thread is just about people bitching about stupid shit.
>>
>>139654157
Keep it up, your shit taste is amusing.
>>
>>139650286
Western serializations of eastern works? not really, as for their own works they are more often even more generic.
>>
>>139654197
You're probably one of those people that skipped the side stories huh?
>>
File: dont worry its high in protein.jpg (168KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dont worry its high in protein.jpg
168KB, 800x600px
>>139653826
Sometimes I can't tell if we nuked the japs too many times, or if we didn't nuke them enough.

>>139653944
>What was once "A story about a killer whale with the ability to travel through time" becomes "But the killer whale has to go to school to learn how to control his time powers and he has to obtain a human form and so and so has a crush on him" and it all just crumbles apart.

I'm laughing, but it's also painful how completely accurate that is. How many dozens of series have I seen crash and burn partway through despite starting absolutely incredibly? Maybe this emerging future of Japanese anime (and maybe even manga soon) writers teaming up with Western companies might combine the good writing of America with the good concepts of Japan for a glorious mongrel hybrid.

>>139654004
>people bitch about rape and ntr

Are you referring to Maou no Hajimekata? My personal problem with that wasn't so much the rape and NTR, but rather how unnecessary it was, to the point that it was just an h-manga. I want evil guys doing evil things for his own purposes, not a dude building his harem of fallen heroes and brainwashed adventurers.
>>
>>139654027

It's pretty high tier in the reincarnation genre, but that doesn't say too much as the competition is mostly shit
>>
I dont see a lot of people discuss rokujouma. It was kind of generic in a way, but i enjoyed reading it
>>
>>139654198
Nah, I mean Western writing, comics, etc, especially the smaller time stuff that isn't just capes or sci-fi/fantasy trash novels. America doesn't have LNs/WNs, but we have web comics, novels, short stories, etc. that all seem to be varying levels of successful without always falling into the same cliches time and time again.
>>
>>139654157
>I don't know how to deal with different opinions so I call anyone who has a different opinion than me stupid.
>>
Which LN started the "reborn in fantasy world" trend?
>>
>>139654330
>Now that he has started his high school career, Satomi Koutarou begins his life living alone in an apartment that only costs him 5000 yen per month, an extremely cheap deal. There's a catch, though: the apartment, Room 106 of the Corona House, is haunted by a ghost that has driven the all apartment's prior occupants away. In addition to having to compete with the ghost over the ownership of the apartment, Koutarou must deal with various other troublesome characters who appear in Room 106.
>high school
>living alone conveniently
>All cute girls judging by the covers

Sounds like a terrible harem if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>139654345

>webcomics and normal
>not falling into the same cliches time and time again
>>
>>139653944
>The Japanese are excellent at making creative, unique and original premises.
Not really. They're great at making indcredulous premises or bizarre plots, which can go either way and isn't necessarily original either.

Its part of the appeal to Japanese stuff to begin with, it really feels like a lot their industry runs on the idea of 'throw ideas at a wall and see what sticks'.

Another testament is that 'Oh those crazy Japanese!' is a worldwide meme.
>>
>>139654345
Western writing just uses different cliches than eastern writing. Plus I've absolutely run into sci fi western stories about people visiting worlds with low tech and then introducing tech all the while wanking their original culture and turning that world into a copy of it. It's not only some JP story plot.
>>
File: spice.jpg (23KB, 230x337px) Image search: [Google]
spice.jpg
23KB, 230x337px
Why are westaboo settings so good?
>>
>>139654456
Not nearly as much as nips do.
>>
>>139654374
Familiar of Zero

The answer to any 'What LN started the X trend' question is always either ZnT, Raildex, or IS
>>
>>139654448
N-no, i was skeptical also at first, but it turned out to be very comfy. no accidental boob grab or forced ecchi scenes
>>
>>139653760
Making eating noises is for them a must, it is a praise to the cook.
>>
>>139654688
That's fucking retarded and disgusting.
>>
>>139654683
It's also made the MC a literal Mary Sue retroactively. I mean, how many magic system did his past life invent again?
>>
File: 1436595993445.png (39KB, 625x549px) Image search: [Google]
1436595993445.png
39KB, 625x549px
>>139652812
He already wiped about 250000 off the map 2bh, I hope not.

Unless the author wants write a few chapters of "muh guilt boohooo".
>>
File: 385a07ab6c41cb54103c58e2fcf02c5c.jpg (984KB, 1516x2205px) Image search: [Google]
385a07ab6c41cb54103c58e2fcf02c5c.jpg
984KB, 1516x2205px
>>139654766
That's how culture works.
>>
>>139654610

Wasn't he transported to one?
>>
>>139654808
Anon, MC started the universe itself and has the Goddess of beginning lusting after his dick so much that she separated her soul in many bodies to cater to every fetish.
>>
>>139654345
>Western writing
kek. capes are just same stories often decompressed to insanity, one could write a book on how fucked they are and thats the whole industry. the whole Indy stuff is barely enough to keep one company going and most of their stories are one shots,there big things are walking dead and other stuff like that + bit edge market with irredeemable and crossed type stuff. non of them reach jap numbers especially given how many more people they can reach. books are also shit, one in 20 is good and every 99% of book series are shit that have like 3-10+ books (mostly because they are structured to set each other up and recap every other book in every new book) same genre shit there too, not just YA but survivalist shit and basically anything that can have no risk market.
>>
>ITT: reading trashes, complaining they are trashes.
>>
>>139654456
I'm not saying they don't but it's a lot less common than with the japanese.

>>139654535
They tend to be different and have some honest effort and love put into them.

>>139654529
Of course they have cliches, but in my experience the cliches A) have much more variety so they become less tired despite their use (instead of WNs/LNs having the same six cliches that keep getting recycled along with other anime cliches), B) are often given at least a minor twist to try to keep things fresh and interesting and less of the same old, same old, and C) often use the cliches as a backdrop through which to push character development or raise some philosophical questions on life or the morality of the cliched act itself, rather than having the cliche be the story. I'm not saying every Western work is superior and original at all times, but they are used in a way that the cliche is almost a benefit to the story, rather than a painful tacked on addition used to buffer the story.

I'm mainly referring to books here, since I am most familiar with them.
>>
>>139654529
most recently "Koban Series by Stephen W. Bennett" the longer it went on the harder it was to read
>>
>>139654890
That's kinda my point, anon.
>>
>>139654345
>>139654541
>web comics
>sell
>not delusional self wank with poor structure
kek.
>>
>>139654808
>>139654890
These make it sound even worse than I initially feared.

>>139654827
In Slime the MC instakills 15000 people without batting an eyelid, yet still chooses to walk around as a human and loves humans somehow, and humans have no problem visiting his city despite the remorseless torture and murder he subjected people to. Don't put it past jap authors to make a completely nonsensical story decision if they think it'll increase sales.

>>139654893
Methinks you don't actually read books that much.
>>
>>139654483
still its more than what the west does. japs push the envelop while west is disgusted by Illya or even the more regular anime.then they go to the movies and are amazed by the level of destruction anime fan sees weekly and think "inside out" is deep
>>
>>139655061
Greentext is not a counterargument, anon.
>>
>>139655162
No one was going to tell a Demon Lord what he could or couldn't do, plus with how he had other countries on his side, it basically was waved away as justified. I mean he wasn't the aggressor after all, it was the other country that sent the army at his city.
>>
>>139655162
>Methinks you don't actually read books that much.
500 and counting and I read LN western equivalents, kind of shit that makes into new york times bestseller and not just the same 100 books /lit/ brings out anytime someone questions the state of literature. anime too has its masterworks but if we are talking about daily shit than its no worse(and sometimes better) than the west.
>>
>>139655166
You really need to consume more media if you actually think that.
>>
>>139655258
show me a webcomic thats better than an LN.when gunnerkrigg court is your high point then there is not much to talk about.
>>
If you mention WN, you just know you'll have coreaboo scum all over your thread.
>>
>>139655360
I consume more than enough media.name some names if you feel different
>>
File: shrug2.png (78KB, 442x353px) Image search: [Google]
shrug2.png
78KB, 442x353px
>>139655344
>if we are talking about daily shit than its no worse(and sometimes better) than the west.

Guess we're going to just have to straight up disagree in that case.
>>
>>139654808
>his past life
I dont remember MC inventing anything, or even having a "past life".
Or are you talking about when he traveled back in time?
>>
>>139655418
Helck, one punch men, magi (sinbad spin off).
>>
>>139655418
>he doesn't know Dan Kim
Come on anon we used to have threads about him. Try NNN by Dan Kim.
>>
>>139655509
Those aren't western though
>>
>>139655166
Pushing the envelope? It's not a phrase I would use to describe their stuff.

Japanese media is so far away from pushing the envelope its unreal, as this entire thread attests to. Japanese anime/manga/light-novels/web-novels are so afraid of trying new things and making real commentary that they repeatedly fall back on the same-old tropes and cliches.

Throwing shit at a wall and writing about what sticks isn't creativity, its the absence of it.
Writing a story about a loli being half-naked and fighting bad guys isn't anything special in Japan, on top of being pure degeneracy.

I guess I'm projecting a bit here but this is my entire problem with ln/wn/anime at the moment. If I see another 'starts a new life in another world' series I think I'll puke.
>>
>>139655663
yet its more than what anyone else is doing
>>
>>139655663
thats like me saying "western media is doomed, if I read another book about girl discovering her whole life is a lie and she is the only special snowflake that can save the world + all guys want to fuck her to a point they are willing to die for her. I think I'll puke" both are inaccurate
>>
Is this another "people who have never written a thing in their lives bitch about other peoples stuff" thread?

I don't think any of this material is world-changing, worth of inclusion in a canon type of stuff, and I don't think anybody is acting like it is either. It's not serious fucking literature, nobody is trying to create Ulysses here. But, for the most part, it's pretty entertaining, and that's what it's meant to be, at least for its fans. If you seem to dislike every thing you read in terms of a story from an ln/wn/anime, whatever, maybe you just aren't who its written for?
>>
>>139656134
>Is this another "people who have never written a thing in their lives bitch about other peoples stuff" thread?
whats wrong with that?I agree that sometimes such people say dumb shit like "how hard would it be to change that?just do it" but since majority of consumers never worked on the products they consume I think there is some value in their criticism.problems start when people present their half baked criticism as fact
>>
>>139655741
Except it's not. Even big American blockbuster films try more new concepts and push the envelope more than virtually anything that comes out of Japan. When is the last time somebody actually took a risk there? Shinsekai Yori, maybe? While in American there are a dozen series and movies doing the same.

>>139656134
Literally every thread on any media board on 4chan is that. You don't have to have personally created a masterwork to be able to recognize and criticize a shitty creation. That's just a crappy defense for bad creations.
>>
>>139656134
This mentality is toxic. "I've never made a movie so I can't criticize a movie" "I've never been a german in the 1930's and 40's so I can't criticize the nazi's."
>>
>>139656234
>Even big American blockbuster films try more new concepts
Can you name a few? I think indie films do this but I can't think of any really big blockbusters unless you're counting like Tarantino or something.
>>
>>139656134
>it's pretty entertaining
And this is why LN fans are plebs.

LN writing makes Twilight look like Ulysses by comparison.
>>
>>139656234
>Even big American blockbuster films try more new concepts and push the envelope more than virtually anything that comes out of Japan
kek name one. pacific rim?
>While in American there are a dozen series and movies doing the same.
outside limitless and izombie I can't think of any (and even those are mostly procedural shows with a twist/shortcut)are you going to bring up banshee or some other show no one watches?maybe one about muh slavery
>>
>>139656249
shit analogy since people tend to criticize 30s/40s' Germans based on truths written on winner's history book
>>
>>139656134
All the replies bitching about the first line and not responding to the rest make me laugh.
>>
>>139656249
>"I've never been a german in the 1930's and 40's so I can't criticize the nazi's."
but you should take into account that they grew up in a different time and had different needs
>>
>>139656354
Inside Out
Zootopia
Recent Tarantino shit
Historical dramas like Twelve Years a Slav and that shit about the White House Servant Guy
Pacific Rim
Limitless
Inception
Zombieland

The list goes on, that's just fairly recent shit off the top of my head. If I took five minutes to google I am sure I could find a couple dozen more.
>>
File: 1455299020112.jpg (868KB, 1038x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1455299020112.jpg
868KB, 1038x1600px
>>139656484
The strong are justice and the weak are injustice, m8.
>>
I dropped A Realist's Kingdom Reforms around the part where he took the sea dragon too see that female duchess/admiral. Does it get better?
>>
>>139656354
>>139656450
Well the most recent example would be Batman vs Superman, a superb showing of capekino
>>
>>139656558
>Twelve Years a Slav
That sounds like a much better movie.
>>
>>139656211
>>139656234
>>139656249

I admit I phrased that first statement poorly. Sure, nothing is above criticism, and yes, you don't have to have created something in the medium to have an opinion on other works in it. But most of these threads descend into shitting on xyz, but nobody can really offer a constructive way to "fix" what they think is wrong. Of course, that's the hard part, and should be something that the author would do, since they're writing the story. But still, the way people talk, you would think we've got dozens of Nobel prize winners in literature here, when it really just boils down to "I don't like most of the stories, so the writing must be bad".

>>139656416
Again, it's not really whether you can objectively call the writing "good". It's entertaining for the people it was written for, and that's not something you can deny.
>>
>>139656558
Pacific Rim was from three years ago, how is that recent?
>>
>>139656558
>Inside Out
>>139655166
called it
>>139656354
Limitless
>Zombieland
that was 7 years ago anon,I know you are baiting but come on.next you will jump to hot fuzz or filth and say it still counts as the west.
>Inception
the one where people would not shut up about paprika?
>>
>>139656631
ah, now I see the light, carry on.
>>
>>139656650
Why should I try to fix everything that I don't like? But that's not to say others don't offer those idea's even the OP just says to play the stories straight. No one is going to re-write the stories though.
>>
>>139656650
There's an easy fix, which is what the entire thread was about. "Stop devolving into a crappy cliched mess and stick with the more interesting and slightly-original plot that the story started with."

Unfortunately most light-novel writers just get very lucky with their ideas and completely buckle under the weight of the plot when it comes to moving past chapter 10, instead reverting to a simpler plot; which is the sign of both a bad writer and bad writing.

A good writer is like a good actor and will make even a mundane story about taking out the trash something to enjoy. While hacks will simply choose some asburd plot for shock factor and fail to deliver on all fronts.

And you can't even say "well most LNs are aimed at teenagers so they don't need to be well written" there is a large amount of YA fiction in the west and not all of it is purile garbage like 90% of LN/WN are.
>>
>>139656650
>constructive way to "fix" what they think is wrong.
because in most cases nothing is wrong and it just does not fit ones taste, reworking it would ultimately change everything about it all kill its spirit (I was once told kill la kill could have been done with everyone dressed more sensibly) + whats the point of working out a fix, its not like anyone of note will read it and fix anything. you would need to have no life to make imaginary fixes on an imageboard(even less life than people who makes fake casting lists) in most cases people have consepts and not full ideas, untimely they brush it off with "well I aint getting paid for it so people who are should do better" most can't even tell the difference between a character they don't like and a bad character.
>>
>>139656974
>Unfortunately most light-novel writers just get very lucky with their ideas and completely buckle under the weight of the plot when it comes to moving past chapter 10, instead reverting to a simpler plot; which is the sign of both a bad writer and bad writing.
attack on titan as prime example
>>
>>139656974
>there is a large amount of YA fiction in the west and not all of it is purile garbage like 90%
lying on the internet again? only 10% of it is not pure garbage, go on goodreads for more proof.
>>
>>139655741
No it fucking isnt
Educate yourself
>>
>>139657230
>Educate yourself
>>/tumblr/
>>
File: wobbuwub.jpg (242KB, 1599x899px) Image search: [Google]
wobbuwub.jpg
242KB, 1599x899px
>>139655663
I keep reading reincarnation stories just hoping that one will be good. Alas no hope
>>
>>139657882
Why dont you try writing your own?
Ive been entertaining the idea of writing something
>>
File: cry.png (528KB, 1001x673px) Image search: [Google]
cry.png
528KB, 1001x673px
>>139657914
It would just turn out to be some edgy piece of shit that makes no sense
>>
>>139657882
A story about some neet piece of shit that gets interrupted while hanging himself and reincarnated into another world.

Where he is in an even worse situation (debt, missing arm, homeless, poor magic skill) and has to use his knowledge of finance, technology and latent talent for magic to crawl up the ranks. Alternatively, make the main character female so it can't end up the harem route either and completely forgo battles for political intrigue and underdog story.
>>
Ah a LN shitposting thread

Well I don't know how many LN's start out as this

>I HATE PEOPLE, GUYS
>I WORKED THIS CRAPPY JOB
>I GOT KILLED BY A TRUCK/RANDOM SERIAL KILLER/CHILDHOOD FRIEND,COLD
>TRANSPORTED INTO MAGICAL WORLD
>ACQUIRE CURRENCY
>BUY A CHEAP SLAVE/SERVANT GIRL WHO IS MOST LIKELY A DOG/BEAST/FOX etc

You know the rest...
>>
File: destruction.jpg (26KB, 247x350px) Image search: [Google]
destruction.jpg
26KB, 247x350px
>>139657882

I enjoyed Overlord, Kumo and Destruction Flag Otome so far.
>>
>>139652215
>I also really hated the S series and other side stories. They weren't necessarily bad, but they were just so mediocre, generic, and predictable that I didn't care about anything that happened and stopped reading them around chapter 190 or so (before the elf Village mini arc).
So you completely, utterly missed the point of that series, you insurmountable faggot.
>>
>>139656867
>>139656974
And I was saying that that's his opinion on what would make it better, what "good" writing is, but that it's not the end all be all, and that the current state of writing is fine as well.

>>139656975
That's what I was trying to say, it's all just opinions, of course it is, what isn't in the world. Just because a person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's "bad". There are a lot of things hat have massive fan bases that I can't understand for the life of me, but I can accept that they just weren't something I would ever enjoy.
>>
/a/ should write a reincarnation webnovel
>>
>>139654276
>Sometimes I can't tell if we nuked the japs too many times, or if we didn't nuke them enough.
Both are acceptable answers.
>fewer nukes and they wouldn't be so goddamn insane
>more nukes and they wouldn't exist anymore
>>
>>139658515
>/a/non kills himself
>reincarnates into another /a/non
there's no escape
>>
File: FKBmfgM.png (343KB, 412x652px) Image search: [Google]
FKBmfgM.png
343KB, 412x652px
>>139658515
>be 34 year old NEET wizard
>anime all day
>die choking on potato chips (not to be confused with other potato chips)
>reincarnate as loli
>you are now can now show your intellignence, nihilism and wicked sense of humor to all
>>
>>139658515
There were three friends from childhood. A boy always liked his childhood friend. But she always liked the other and so did the other childhood friend. The mc's two childhood friends end up confessing to each other and end up dating. The mc gives up and is happy with the fact that two of the most important people in the world to him are being together. But tragedy struck as truck kun decides to try to take the couple's life. The mc pushes them out of the way at the cost of his own life. At his last words, he confessed but was happy anyways with the two being together. He is reincarnated into a fantasy world where he lives in the slums and with the same face he had. He has to struggle living all alone and was about to die until he meets the demon king. The demon king saves his life falling in love with him. He falls in love with her knowing she is the only one to treat him kind than the rest of the world. Demons were believed to be the enemy but the kingdom was evil. A summoning ritual occurs where his old childhood friends are to defeat the demon king.

Well, I made and posted this way back in winter.
>>
>>139658813
>The demon king saves his life falling in love with him. He falls in love with her knowing she is the only one to treat him kind than the rest of the world.
Demon king is a guy or a gal?
>Demons were believed to be the enemy but the kingdom was evil. A summoning ritual occurs where his old childhood friends are to defeat the demon king.
I've read this kind of development a couple times already
>>
>>139658515

A hero in a fantasy world dies of sudden horse carriage and gets reborn as a smelly otaku neet
>>
File: 1439423081989.png (291KB, 466x411px) Image search: [Google]
1439423081989.png
291KB, 466x411px
>>139649441
>reincarnated into a dragon
I once wrote a story about a guy that got reincarnated as a dragon, hatched in a warehouse that specialized in gathering eggs and breeding dragons to be sold to nobles and dragon rider outfits.
He was sold to an academy and made to be bonded to a very unsure and clumsy girl not really cut out for it. It was supposed to be an underdog/Jrpg inspired adventure with implied beastiality from certain Dragon knights taking their bond a bit too far from the point of view of a snarky mascot character that helped the girl out while adjusting to life as a dragon pup.
Then my pc died and I lost all progress along with my drive to rewrite it ;_;
Just saying this because I forgot about it until now OP, maybe on day...
>>
Some web novels where they stick to their concept all the way to the end. No translations.

>俺は畑で無双する
>"Unbeatable as a field"
>The protagonist is reborn on fantasy world as a farming field and stays that way the entire story. He spends his time growing crops on himself. A nearby village gets attacked and he ends up gaining the ability to fight by manipulating all his dirt and squishing people underneath his giant block of farm land.

>自動販売機に生まれ変わった俺は迷宮を彷徨う
>"Reincarnated as a vending machine to wander the labyrinth"
>The protagonist sacrifices his life to protect a vending machine and gets reborn as one in a fantasy world. He meets a girl but he can only say generic phrases that were programmed into him as a vending machine like "Welcome" and "Insert coins".

>童貞オークの冒険譚
>"The virgin orc's adventure"
>The protagonist is an orc. He is shunned from his tribe because he can't fuck females like normal orcs do. He goes out on an adventure while meeting girls but he never fucks them. Instead, he always digs holes into the ground and masturbates into it while fantasizing about fucking them.
>>
>>139659098
Do you know of any good senki type web novels?
kinda like the one in Ochitekita Naga to Horobiyuku Majo no Kuni.
>>
>>139658813
meh. I like this story more
http://exhentai.org/g/919419/232b801612/
>>
>>139658383
There are accepted markers of good storytelling, eg. relatable characters, believable dialogue, and good pacing. Arguing from the position of "nothing is good or bad, it's just taste" contributes nothing to any discussion.
>>
>>139659098
So why can't the orc guy fuck girls?
>>
>>139659075
I had a fan fiction based on fate prototype that has the girl summon unknown warrior who turns out to be Lucifer + it also turns out he was the man/dragon behind merlin and had a raging boner for stay night saber.its practically the same story.
>>
File: 1456728831897.jpg (131KB, 869x1231px) Image search: [Google]
1456728831897.jpg
131KB, 869x1231px
>>139659007
Demon king can just be a title. Like this.
>>
>>139658813
>>139659007
isnt that like a whole arc of eien of estella
>>
>>139659394
>relatable characters
the key is likable, there are characters that you can't relate to (like murderers) but you can still like them.
>believable dialogue
hard to pin down since unless its very bad than its hard to spot.it also hard to say why its bad like I hate whedon dialogue but can't put it inot words as to why I hate it.
>good pacing
unless its very bad than its also subjective. did log horizon have good pacing?
>good storytelling
emotion based. I have given bad stories high marks because the story took me in.
>>
>>139658515
>be delinquent
>drinking alcohol on top of high building with lads
>fall
>die
>reincarnate
>have to rely on only thing he knows: fighting with his fists
>become demon lord, ruler of all
>>
>>139659701
>be a martial arts master
>die a hero
>get reincarnated as a jet pilot in a space age.
>can't really do shit with your old life skills but try to put it into everything (like a newly graduated lawyer commenting on legal accuracy of ace attorney)
>>
>>139659394
Sure, and those aspects of a story can certainly be discussed, critiqued, disected, whatever. I certainly wasn't implying otherwise. What I was saying was that most postsin threads like these are more concerned with the direction the story goes, and more specifically, that they don't like the direction the story goes. Or they don't like how a certain characters acts, etc. That is an opinion. And it's one thing if it's universal. Ifeverybody disliked it, then perhaps you could say that yeah, maybe that wasn't written well. But it's obvious most of these stories have lots of fans, I like a fair share myself, for what they are.
>>
>>139658813
I read it then and I've read it now, it's shit
>>
>>139658515
Robot dies and is reborn as a loli/shota mage
>>
>>139658515
Do you guys think westaboo nips scour writing sites and read or translate english web novels like we do with their shit?
>>
>>139660191
Not enough waifus for them.
>>
>>139658515
Heroes are summoned to defeat the maou. Brought from modern day japan, they are gifted with magic and skills. But our protagonist is not one of them. He is nothing more than a simple, happy-go-lucky thief that is good hearted. A stroke of fate where the heroes are summoned. He would save a life that could not be saved due to their sheer incompetency. And the cycle of heroes will change forever.
>>
>>139660338
This is not a reincarnation story.
>>
>>139660437
And I'm sure there is a story like this already. I don't know it, but it must exist.
>>
>>139660191
>read or translate english web novels
Are there that many English web novels of decent quality to even get their attention? I don't even mean good, just a barely acceptable level of story. Most I've seen have horrible grammar, even in at least two cases grammar rules that were invented just for that story and have no connection to English grammar. Or the story is just horrible in execution with cardboard cutouts devoid of any personality except for usually being complete psychopaths. And that's not mentioning all the times I've ran across the rape or death of close characters to the MC that happened for no purpose except to make the story edgier and lead the MC to be more of a psychopath.

If there are goods ones, do you mind spoonfeeding me? I know the big one is Worm, but you never hear about any other English web novels. There's gotta be at least one other good one, right?
>>
>>139654975
Damn, does this have much SOL or is it all "reinvention", economics, and war type stuff?
>>
>>139658515
NEET dies, reincarnates into a fantasy world as the only son of a noble, but he continues his NEET life and in the end dies as the kingdom loses a war to demons.
>>
>>139660714
>If there are goods ones, do you mind spoonfeeding me? I know the big one is Worm, but you never hear about any other English web novels. There's gotta be at least one other good one, right?
Mother of learning
A hero's war
You will not like them if you like shounen-like stories tough.
>>
>>139660694
I think it is similar to a premise but not the same.
>>
>>139660798
I wouldn't call Mother of Learning all that shounen-like.
He goes around mind raping people of any useful information until they're completely broken and will suicide at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>139658515
If one could choose whatever life they chose, life would not be as difficult as it is... or experience what life has to offer. If only his life could have given him more time than he had, to live, to laugh, to love, and to fight. How unfortunate... Unless...
>>
File: Isuzu-chan.jpg (184KB, 1500x1303px) Image search: [Google]
Isuzu-chan.jpg
184KB, 1500x1303px
>>139658515
Truck Driver-san, doing his daily deliveries, was about to be in an accident, or more like he got transported to another world before it happened. But that's not all, he's still in his truck. It didn't take him long to realize that his cheat ability is his truck with unlimited gas and enchanted parts. Every enemy he encounters, he just runs them over. The Japanese truck was invincible. Even the demon king was run over to bring forth world peace.

This is a story about the Legendary Truck Driver and his truck Isuzu™.
>>
>>139660960
>You will not like them if you like shounen-like stories
Meant to imply they are not shounen stories , so are not for everyone.
>>
>>139658041
>>139657914
It's true. This is what happens when I try to write something.

It comes out bad, edgy and the sex scenes are bland as fuck. Pacing is also horrible.
>>
>>139658515
>MC is from a well-off family. Good grades, good looks, popular guy
>Marries the perfect girl and impregnates her
>He's suddenly diagnosed with a brain tumor
>Dies due to a medical malpractice and didn't manage to see his son being born

>He is reincarnated in a medieval fantasy europe (this is a must for reincarnation novels)

>Mother is a prostitute, father is unknown.
>Mother dies from unknown illness
>The assassin guild recruits him.
>He becomes an assassin. Learns how to disguise himself, create poisons, infiltrate and make it look as if it were an accident
>Every part of the story shows the relationship between his employer and the victim (nobles, royalty, hero party members, merchants, priests and nuns, children), his struggles when trying to assassinate, his success and failures, etc
>>
I`m reading "My cute girlfriend is also my cousin, but it's okay because we're not blood related!!". It's been really fun so far.
>>
>>139661329
Why it is always assassins?
>>
>>139653429
That's exactly the perfect goddamn motivation to want to become a NEET. Do you think she ENJOYED living in terror for almost every second of her life?
>>
>>139658515
First off, it couldn't be a NEET character, since they're always going to be useless no matter what world they get sent to.

Unless you think we should write a series of BAD END stories about NEETs that went to other worlds and died in various ways.

In that case I 100% approve and will even write some of it.
>>
>>139661397
>not blood related
Dropped before picking up.
>>
>>139661561
Because killing people and the motivations behind every assassination are interesting
>>
>>139651457
>Not enough TLers to go around
These jap WN/LNs take a week to pump out one chapter then you take a look at the chink scene and see one chapter a day

What the fuck.
>>
>>139659098
So I assume none of these are translated at all?

Also that orc guy has some real funny psychology. Some kind of sexual trauma.
>>
File: uBnRGbJ.jpg (96KB, 931x673px) Image search: [Google]
uBnRGbJ.jpg
96KB, 931x673px
>>139659098
>you will never read about the wacky adventures of a vending machine in a labyrinth
>>
File: b23a0d09d13593b1d1dfe8d1fac0d218.jpg (317KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
b23a0d09d13593b1d1dfe8d1fac0d218.jpg
317KB, 743x1000px
>>139658515
I will try Anon.

>MC is just a normal guy.
>While driving home from work he gets into a car accident and dies.
>Wakes up as an infantry man in a high fantasy world that resembles the 18th Century for Not a fantasy version of Prussia.
>He begins to enjoy his military life and learns about the world with his new friends, and the fantasy elements in it. Becomes a officer several years later. Not fantasy version of the Franco-Prussian War pops off. War is hell happens.
>Gets the attention of a sadistic noble girl serving as an officer in the war. War comes to an end with Not Prussia victory, MC gets to celebrate the victory of the war with his friends and feels supportive about his new home country.
>Marries best girl years later and just continues his life as a soldier. Years later he ponders whether his life in our world was simply a dream, but moves on from it.
>He's still alive when Fantasy Not World War I breaks out and the despair to follows.
>>
I like Tsuki ga Michibiku so far. It's a little weak in some areas but the character feels like he has some genuine struggles despite being a massive powerhouse.

He's got some infuriating blind spots though.
>>
File: 1452892127179.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1452892127179.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>>139658515
>Guy gets reincarnated.
>Finds out his unlimited potential.
>Spends childhood going full turbo autist with his training.
>Gets the attention of the cute tomboy that wants to be heroic adventurer.
>He beats the crap outta her in single combat, she says she'll one day beat him and then he'll have to marry her and be an adventuring couple.
>Disregard bitches must become more powerful.
>He sets out for adventure during his teens.
>Goes full murderhobo.
>Gets reputation.
>Nobody can defeat him.
>Gets harem of bitches.
>Disregards them immediately when he hears talk of dragons.
>Sets out, faces a dragon, beats it, it turns into a dragon loli and says that by dragon traditions she's now his bride.
>MC doesn't care, dragons go extinct, he comes back, wants to get more power.
>People fear him.
>Nothing can even make him break a sweat.
>Almost goes mad with boredom.
>Hears talk of second coming of all mighty god.
>He challenges this God.
>Get's ass beat to an inch of his life.
>God gives him magical item to get more power before ascending to heaven with MCs unappreciated harem.
>He doesn't care though, he needs more power.
>Spends most of his life in the mountains training with the aid of magical item.
>One day MC gets message from a courier that somehow knew where he was.
>It tells him God is back.
>He goes for a rematch, now more powerful than before.
>They meet, God tells him his harem is well taken care of.
>Like MC cares.
>Cue fight.
>MC goes all out, manages to land a hit, gets beaten.
>"Use the amulet MC-kun."
>He did.
>"No, unlock its power."
>He does so, goes super saiyan.
>Fight goes toe to toe, world gets destroyed, everyone dies.
>This is the fight of MCs life.
>Gets defeated.
>Gets told his whole reason for existing was to entertain God.
>God is actually him, he got so powerful that the only way to feel alive is instilling part of his soul into a child so he can later have a death battle
I call it "The Power of Power"
>>
File: 1406950428758.png (556KB, 763x992px) Image search: [Google]
1406950428758.png
556KB, 763x992px
>>139649441
And you wonder why people doesn't like LN even with "BUT THIS MC IS DIFFERENT" seasoning shit?
BECAUSE THAT'S FUCKING WHY FAGGOT. Congrats for only noticing now.
>>
>>139661918
That's some chink shit.
>>
>>139658515
I liked that one time we joked about an association of truck drivers who deliberately ran over people to maintain balance on parallel words or something like that.
>>
>>139661610
NEET protagonists can make interesting stories too.

>10年ごしの引きニートを辞めて外出したら自宅ごと異世界に転移してた
>Protagonist, age 30, unemployed, and hikikomori. One day he makes up the courage to walk out of his house and discovers he's in a different world. His entire house had been teleported an unknown forest but his utilities (water, electricity, internet, etc.) still work. He relies on internet BBS (obviously 2ch, although they never name it) for wisdom while he looks for food and other people. Eventually he finds a village where he gets called a wizard because of his amazing "magic" (just modern technology) stuff in his house.
>>
>>139658515

>siscon brother gets jealousy of his sisters boyfriend
>he murders him and then commits suicide
>gets reborn as his sisters boyfriend
>knows what will happen but can't do anything to stop it so he might as well fuck his ister as much as he can
>>
File: 1433727405641.gif (675KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1433727405641.gif
675KB, 480x270px
>>139662090
Are you saying there's actually a chink that wrote this or that it's very chink-like, because I just wrote this crap right now.
>>
>>139662262
>gets reborn as his sisters boyfriend
How? The age difference would make her at least past 30
>>
>>139662262
>knows what will happen but can't do anything to stop it
How about not dating the sister?
>>
File: 1454312895336.jpg (647KB, 900x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1454312895336.jpg
647KB, 900x1284px
>>139662348
Maybe you're a chink WN writer who got hit by a truck, and got reincarnated as a western weeb.
>>
>>139658515
I would like to see something really original, not just the classic tropes done right.
E.g. a hikki NEET dies and is reincarnated in 1970 NORILSK, CENTER OF SOVIET NICKEL PRODUCTION, where he has to learn how to be a good communist to avoid the gulags while preparing for the eventual collapse.
Too bad that this will never be written.
>>
>>139662348
It's very chink like from ehat heard of them. Only chink MC would have fucked childhood friend and her mother and killed her brother for whatever reason.
>>
>>139662262
Why doesn't he talk to himself and prove he is him reincarnated then they double team the sister?
>>
>>139662368

Who says you can't get reborn in the past?
>>
>>139662150
I seriously read a fanfic exactly like that once. Where the house was transported. No it was at least two fanfics where that happened.
>>
>>139662400
Impossible.
>>139662368
Read Spirit Circle.
>>
>>139662400

That wouldn't make for an interesting plot though and you underestimate his lust for his sister
>>
>>139662348
Its also typical of chink MCs to obtain a harem and literally forget about them and only mentioned in passing as the MC cares more about power
>>
>>139662434
Nobody is going to write about you, Sasha.
>>
>>139658515
/tg/ did it, it turned into wankery good enough to make a japanes hang its head in shame.
>>
File: 1441853410190.png (51KB, 537x537px) Image search: [Google]
1441853410190.png
51KB, 537x537px
>>139662426
What a twist.
>>139662446
>Only chink MC would have fucked childhood friend and her mother and killed her brother for whatever reason.
kek
>>139662551
I just wanted to play it as a gag, a parody of the harem genre, the gag being the girls would fall for him for whatever reason and try to get his attention but MC never responded and kept training instead of going on wacky adventures with a reasonable powerlevel.
The moral of the story would be divine retribution, reaping what one sows; he got so powerful he becomes a God with a lust for battle that can't be fulfilled by nobody but himself for eternity,
>>
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/harry-potter-and-the-rise-of-the-ordinary-person/
Is this shit serious?
>>
>>139661907
So literally a story about high-fantasy 19th Century Prussia with a qt waifu?
>>
>>139663076
Can't be worse than twilight can't be as entertaining as My Immortal
>>
>>139663076
The comments thought it was an April Fool's joke. They were wrong.
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 240x189px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 240x189px
>>139663076
Wow, those ratings.
>>
>>139663445
What the fuck am I looking at?
>>
>>139663556
Looks like an information picture for five point ratings. That one has a divided rating.
>>
>>139658515
>MC has a very overprotective nee-san
>get hit by a truck
>dies
>nee-san commits sudoku
>both reincarnate together into a wizard family
>MC is the destined hero
>comes with a fragment of God's soul that gives him OP magic talent and spells
>insert rpg mechanics unique to him because of the soul fragment
>collect the other fragments of souls from the evil demons that stole it to prevent the end of the world
>nee-chan reincarnates earlier than him
>trains so hard to protect MC she becomes bald
>becomes muscle wizard
>lots of exposition about how OP MC's spell repertoire is in every conflict as he is about to cast and the expected aftermath
>nee-chan comes in just before he is about to attack and finishes the fight in one punch
>MC can't level up
>>
>>139649441
Wait he gets the body of a little girl?

Fuck that's lame as hell.
>>
>>139663662
Technically genderless but looks feminine because the human he consumed to get the skill was a girl
>>
>>139663600
No I mean, how can people give a positive rating for that shit? and a 5 of all things?
>>
>>139663775
Irony or dick sucking, whatever float your boat.
>>
>>139656650
But I gave constructive criticism in the OP. I said to stop using a bunch of tired cliches that have been done a hundred times and just play the cool concepts introduced in the beginning straight. All three of the stories I listed would have been infinitely better if they just had a story based off the original concept rather than it being a hook for the same generic shit we always get. That's it. I am not calling for an end to cliches, but don't let me waste hours of my life if the author had no intention of actually using their cool concepts past getting it to their generic shoujo romance selling point.

There's no point of any originality if the whole end point of the hook is just another bland, indistinguishable series.

>>139659098
>>139662150

Those sound unique at the very least, wish somebody would TL them.

>>139661581
You know, I think that's the only reasonable counterargument I've heard on Kumo so far. I can't say I like it still because I think it hurts the story, but from a character perspective I think you are totally right that Kumo just wants to fucking stop after rising from one of the weakest possible monsters. I guess I was too focused on "what would be best for a good story" rather than "does this necessarily fit with character motivations". But on the flip side, she doesn't need to be scared anymore. She's a god, and is virtually immortal. She doesn't need to go back to being a hikki just to be comfy and safe anymore, she's always going to be like that through her own earned power.
>>
>>139661708
This is why all these motherfuckers are dying of rickets and shit. They never stand up or go outside.

>>139663662
No genitals, but everybody thinks it's a qt 3.14 loli. Also for some reason our slime MC opts to walk around like this literally all the time after obtaining the form, to the point that there was really no reason to make him a slime to begin with. Wasted hopes once more.
>>
>>139660960
>>139660798
Anything else? Something like Mother of Learning would be cool to read.
>>
>>139661907
Where is the demon lord anon, the demon lord!
>>
>>139665997
Honestly you're going to have way more luck with actually published novels than you will with any sort of web based novel. It's pretty damn easy for even below average novels to be published, so just head into a book store or library and pick something that has an interesting synopsis. Or go on Amazon or ebay and do the same thing.
>>
>>139661913
>Tsuki ga Michibiku

Speaking of this. Someone should tell the translator to stop using the Wayback machine version because there are inconsistencies with the current revised version.
Thread posts: 249
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.