[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>nobody wants to translate the manga >official translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: crest of the stars.jpg (173KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
crest of the stars.jpg
173KB, 848x1200px
>nobody wants to translate the manga
>official translation of the LN was dropped after volume 3

Why is there no interest in abh pussy?
>>
>>139030862
How can she be so perfect?
>>
>>139031268
abh are mary sues
>>
File: 1440762344307.webm (3MB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
1440762344307.webm
3MB, 400x272px
Who are the Abh?
They are parts to a machine.
To them, children are nothing more than replacement parts.
Their children are mere objects to which they are able to pass on their abilities before they perish.

Then what is this machine?
The machine is the monstrous, evil Humankind Empire of Abh.
Healthy human societies were constantly under threat of this evil machine.
Should humanity continue to allow this machine to exist,
human society would surely be swallowed up.

This machine must be destroyed.
>>
>>139031309
A good Abh is a dead Abh. Freedom for the humans!
>>
First season is okay. After that, when does it stop being about ships shooting ships? I am not going to watch another season of Abh politics.
>>
>>139031481
>ships shooting ships is abh politics

what?
>>
>>139031481
The story is more about the relation between Lafel and Jinto.
>>
>>139031499
>implying Abh politics is anything else besides shooting enemy ships and conquering innocent worlds
I was really disappointed in the MC when he didn't try to get revenge for having his homeworld subdued by Abhs.
>>
>>139031680
the only thing really unjust that i saw was that they limited space travel and instead of allowing everyone to have abh kids (which were genetically superior to humans) or at least gave humans the means to genetically improve themselves, they insisted on keeping humans as an inferior, mortal, second class with the abh ontop.

Otherwise it was a pretty cool deal.
>>
why is there no translation interest in this
>>
>>139032118
Technobabble and generally more difficult Japanese. Same thing holding back Moyashimon and the like
>>
>>139032397
seriously? that sounds like a really lame reason.
>>
>>139031734
Better die free than live kneeling. Including the freedom to wage war as we see fit.
>>
>>139032466
you are not free now anon. notice how you have to pay taxes or get thrown into jail?
>>
>>139031680
Yeah. Drop this because the MC is too much a milquetoast.
>>
>>139032444
Most fan translators can't read at a proper level for the work. And the ones that do are usually either busy with shit they want to work on or getting paid work.
>>
>>139032507
Let's not delve into politics here. But it is clear there is a definite difference in legitimacy between the two cases. Would you open your arms to an alien overlord that claimed himself superior and imposed rules on you just because?
>>
>>139032730
it would depend entirely on the benefits. if i could become an immortal loli, yes.
>>
>>139032568
so why dont some decent translator want to work on what is probably the most famous non-mecha space opera in anime/manga?
>>
>>139031481

Everything after the first season is drab garbage.
>>
>>139032466
Says a shitposter on a american imageboard.
>>
I can't help but feel that the abh are simply "too perfect".

They have the highest level of technology, OK. That kind of makes sense given that they are immortal and a 200+ year old scientist would know more shit than a 50 year old.

They genetically engineered themselves to be as perfect as possible, well ok. That makes sense.

Then they go into detail about how humans are second class citizens and that they aren't allowed to become abh or even get immortality like the abh have. And apparently the humans being ruled over by the abh are totally fine with this.

Realistically speaking there would probably be a lot of resentment at the abh for that, imagine if the president was immortal but you weren't allowed to be, that would be the kind of situation the abh should have.

And the first space battle has a single abh cruiser take out an entire squadron of elite human ships simply because the abh are so much better. Its completley one sided until the cruiser is overwhelmed with numbers.

And most of the space battles just have the abh achieve amazing kill ratios and all the descriptions of the battles are basically : abh ships fire, human ships blow up while returning fire ineffectively.

I feel like the author lost a great opportunity to potray the abh as a "perfect on the surface, but less perfect when you look deeper" race.
>>
>>139030862
what a waste of time watching this series.
>>
what would you do if you were an abh princess
>>
>>139030862
where to find the raws?
>>
>>139034645
of what? the manga?
>>
File: Consider_the_following.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Consider_the_following.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>139033325
decent translator -> making money
decent sci-fi fan -> can't suffer the boredom of learning the language
hardcore senki fan -> rough it with adhoc google translate
>>
>>139034645
http://bato.to/reader#48270d82b9b96f04

raws link is in that image
>>
>>139035094
there are plenty of decent translators who are working on other series though
>>
>>139031481
>>139032517
There are people that seriously didn't like this? It's one of my favorite anime of all time, I figured that even people who didn't enjoy it would at least recognize that the series is above average.

>>139032118
Because the language is actually difficult to translate, so the TL can't just be cleaned up machine translations by somebody that can half read Japanese and barely knows kanji. It's much easier to translate something written plain as hell with stock Jap phrases that they've seen in a dozen other LNs.

Think of it like the difference between translating a dense sci-fi classic and a YA novel with sci-fi elements. The former is going to be a much tougher job than the latter, because the latter is written in a much simpler and more approachable format.
>>
>>139035316
how is the language difficult to translate
>>
>>139035404
In everyday language, the Japanese have pretty simple word choice and sentence structure. Most writing uses that everyday language, even in settings that it doesn't really fit (fantasy, sci-fi, historical) because it's what is most commonly used, and is usually about young people that aren't going to be using more complex or formal language. This is also the type of language that a foreigner (i.e. literally every translator) will be learning, as learning other types of speaking and writing in Japanese has very little practical application.

While Crest/Banner of the Stars is about young people as well, it doesn't use that simplistic language nearly as much. It's a political drama, so much of the speech is unfamiliar and formal from the perspective of a TL, and it's filled with a lot of scientific terms and straight up technobabble that the TL will have difficulty figuring out. When learning Japanese, you aren't going to need to be familiar with political or scientific language, so when you come to a series like Crest/Banner of the Stars, you're probably not going to have any idea what the fuck to do.

Also, from what I understand, this type of language uses a lot more kanji, and I know kanji is a bitch for most novice Japanese readers.
>>
>>139035296
see >>139035636
you need more than just decent translators. you need a combination of what i listed above. which makes it very difficult to find qualified people.
>>
>>139035636
so how do the japanese read it if they dont study the scientific terms and technobabble?

I mean if you look at other media, like, iron man for example, you don't have any trouble translating technobabble like "repulsor fields", you just translate it literally, there's no equivalent word in any other language because it's made up term for a made up technology.
>>
>>139035868
>so how do the japanese read it if they dont study the scientific terms and technobabble

They're much more familiar with the language that the TLs are. After all, they were born and raised in the language, rather than having a year or two of (often self taught) education in it, and the Japanese will have heard and used many of those terms or speaking styles in school. Even if you took the average American teen and had them try to get through a dense sci-fi, they could probably puzzle their way through based off of past experiences and schooling in the language. However, if you took a foreigner that could read everyday English just fine and handed them the same book, they would probably only be able to figure out a third of what was going on due to lacking context and experience in the language. Those things can be learned, but they really just require time and real world experience that most TLs are going to be lacking. There's a reason that good translators for anything are hard to come by. It requires extensive experience and understanding in both languages.

Iron Man almost exclusively uses everyday, informal language, even if they throw in some sciencey terms occasionally. The level of difficulty isn't comparable.
>>
>>139033519
Quality post right there.
>>
>>139035316
I didn't hate it and I like Latifael (sp?) but most of the focus of story is about her relationship with Jinto and I found him to be rather lacking in personality, just float along the flow of event.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.