[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Yen Press a welcome existence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 8

File: muhedgelord.png (63KB, 1280x865px) Image search: [Google]
muhedgelord.png
63KB, 1280x865px
Is Yen Press a welcome existence?
>>
They hoard licenses to popular series to shit out their garbage translations.
>>
>>138982793
They published my favorite english translation of yotsuba, they're fine.
Much better than del ray manga anyway.
>>
File: 1152893.jpg (72KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
1152893.jpg
72KB, 600x911px
I don't even like Spice & Wolf but this kind of shit is unforgivable.
>>
>>138982793
They're hoarding licenses to more series than they can actually sell and localization is fucking garbage. Whoever thought localizing every little shit would be a good idea?
>>
>>138982793
dunno.
for something like danmachi which had a shit japanese to chinese to english translation with a non english native speaker for a fantranslation it's fine.
>>
>>138982793
Go away yen press nobody likes you.
>>
>>138982866
It was a gamble to get it into the young adult section in bookstores and libraries.
>>
>>138983494
what the fuck?
Do teenage girls want to read light novels about medieval economics?
>>
>>138982793
all of the titles i own so far were published by them so yes i suppose
>>
>>138983665
The LN medium was pretty dead in 2009 in the US, so they tried to attract people with those covers. They quickly learned that they fucked up.
>>
>>138982793
I would say they are a welcome existence since they publish he Drrr LN's and the Baccano ones.
>>
If they were better then sure. As is no.
>>
just dmca and kill my fan translations familia
also super slow releases and sometimes even drop the series after a few volumes but by then fan translations stay dead and they still fuck with the rights
>>
>>138983796
Now LNs are strangely being revived in the US once again.
>>
>>138983997
Yeah, it's probably because of the rise of popular anime based off of LN's.
>>
>>138982793
No. They usually pick up stuff already being fan translated then we have to wait years for them to catch up.
>>
>>138983373
No, it's not.
>>
>>138983997
To a certain extent US publishers have gotten better at coordinating manga/LN releases with anime.

The only real problem is the extremely long pipeline to get things printed and put on store shelves. They have to schedule every release a year in advance, and sometimes guess when a manga/LN is ready for licensing.
>>
>>138984466
True. I was super impressed by Yen Press' Another LN release though.

That hardcover book is beautiful.
>>
Anyone here getting their Baccano hardcovers? I know I will.
>>
File: 1446434999273.jpg (115KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1446434999273.jpg
115KB, 500x375px
>>138985108
>August

SLOOOOOOOOOW PRESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>138985252
They'll catch up eventually, right?

(5 years later) ;_;[\]
>>
>>138985252
>August

I thought it's May release ;_;
>>
Yes, but I'm biased.

The localization could stand to be better but ultimately it's not nearly so bad as to be a dealbreaker. Beggars can't be choosers.

>next volume Oct 25, 2016
10 months later than the Japanese release is still way faster than the nonexistent fantranslators put it out.
>>
They licensed konosuba that already had decent translations up to vol5, dmcad the fan translations and are going to retranslate 5 volumes with their shitty localisations (you can bet theyll fuck up the jokes, maybe put "sexism" in there like they didin the past) which will maybe (if popularity lasts, nothing stops them from running off with the license if they dont like their revenue) be caught up with fan translation in 2 or 3 years

Wouldnt mind if they licensed grimgar, since that one has pretty wonky translations of only 2 and a half volumes tho
>>
I honestly don't consider any publisher a welcome existence.

They complicate matters and are mostly slow as fuck. The quality between releases is also dodgy which is unacceptable for something I'm paying for.
>>
>>138988000
>(you can bet theyll fuck up the jokes, maybe put "sexism" in there like they didin the past
What did they do?
>>
>>138988000
What are you talking about? They never announced licensing konosuba. That dmca wasn't from them.
>>
>>138982866

Holy shit, they didn't...
>>
>>138982793

I'm ok with them, just wish they were faster.

Not gonna complain about their translations. It's better to have average translations for everything than a few very well done tomes and them having everything machine translated, (I'm looking at you log horizon)
>>
>>138982866
Did they bother to re-release it with the original cover?
>>
>>138989285
those were the first prints.

Nowadays all come with the original covers and art
>>
>>138989285
The original image was on the other side of the dust cover.

You only had to turn it inside-out.
>>
Someone pls translate Danmachi.
>>
Most LN TLs are borderline readable, poorly edited trash, so their releases are preferable most of the time. The problem is the slow releases that can be dozens behind the current JP, or the neutering of the very few good TLs we get.
>>
>>138989969
http://www.bookdepository.com/search/advanced?searchSeries=539738
>>
I know a lot of people aren't fans of Danmachi but I love it. It's been a pain in the ass having to wait for the novels to catch up with the anime adaptation. We wont continue where the show left off until September of this year with the release of volume six. Currently, there are four volumes of the main series which have been translated and zero of the spin-off. In Japan, the main series is on volume nine with the spin-off on volume five. Yen Press is so outrageously fucking slow. A volume every four months is grueling.
>>
>>138990451
I'm of the same mindset. Most TLs are seriously fucking garbage but I can't stand how slow their releases are.
>>
File: 1456074944028.png (194KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1456074944028.png
194KB, 500x500px
>>138982793
If I understand this correctly:
Fans decide to translate a LN, and they keep translating it for a while. Then, Yen Press or whoever else decides to pick up the series, they buy the rights to it, and DMCA fan translators. And fan translators immediately give in, stop translating, stop hosting all their already done translations and now everyone has to wait until the official translation catches up.
What the heck?

Why don't the fan translators just keep doing it illegally, like people who fansub anime do? Why not just upload translations to a torrent site?
>>
Maybe if they licensed the goddamn SAO 4koma.
>>
>>138990977
Every 4koma is an uphill battle.

It's too hard to market.
>>
>>138991004
They licensed the shitty SAO manga adaptations, fuck, I'm sure it would sell.
>>
>>138990762
Most fan translators live in the US and can actually be nailed by its laws.

Not me, though.
>>
>>138991079
someone post the Tencent killings of fanytranslation in PRC
>>
>>138988000
Unless something has happened in the past week actually, I now notice I'm getting an error when I try to go on his site but I'm sure that's unrelated nothing is happening to Konosuba. The translator just made a new website and is continuing the translation at a fast pace of one chapter a week.

Stop fearmongering you faggot.
>>
>>138991128
It's probably because there's a lot more people interested in reading the fanfic so now we've pretty much ddos'd his server. Give it time and I'm sure it'll be fine.
>>
File: mahouka 2.jpg (229KB, 850x531px) Image search: [Google]
mahouka 2.jpg
229KB, 850x531px
Eh, I'm getting a legal release of The Irregular At Magic High School so I'm happy that Yen is, at least, trying to make Light Novels a presence although some of their past choices for licences have been questionable (SUZUNARI!). I know just because I don't want to read something doesn't mean other people don't want to. But come on how much of screaming need was there for that
>>
>>138990490
Fuck you.
>>
>>138991313
RM50
kill me
will voucher work?
>>
>>138982793
All this company does is pick up garbage light novels that had an anime recently.

Besides that it's humorous to see LNfags get mad when their machine translated shit gets ripped off the Internet because of them.

Wish they'd pick up the few gems they are in nipland but shame they only pick up whackshit and thus this is why i just stick to manga.
>>
>>138991392
You know what, Baccano! and Durarara are not garbage, also they won't pick up stuff that won't sell, deal with it or import from Japan.
>>
Vertical are doing a much better job at ushering in the new golden age of localization, they usually have much nicer presentation and paper quality than Yen Press which feels rather cheap.
>>
>>138991128
Never liked konosuba but that dmcad was weird. Any news about where the hell did it come from?
>>
>>138982793
no. they snipe popular series and then drag their feet translating them. Their own sells figured prove that translating ORIGINAL series (ie series that dont already have a scanslation community) gives them 10x more sales.

they are literally cancer and a blight on our hobby.
>>
>>138990603
Then do something on translating today novels instead of being upheld by DMCA'ed from Kadokawa

C'mon anon you have to be smarter than this shit.
>>
>>138991773
their biggest selling ln with 20,000 units was some sao side story literally no fan community was bothering with so fuck you and your bullshit kike logic. All their other series which they had recently sniped was only selling at 2000-3000 units.

The market is clearly there for original stories, and faggots like you pushing the meme that 'LOL MAYBE RANDOM POPULAR SERIES IN JAPAN WON'T SELL IN AMERICA IF THE FAN COMMUNITY DOESNT DO THE GROUND WORK FOR THEM' is demonstrably false.
>>
Why dont u guys just like

Learn japanese
>>
>>138992600
A lot of people on /a/ are anti Japan and hate "weebs".
>>
>>138992600
It takes A LOT of time.
>>
>>138992529
>only selling at 2000-3000 units.
is that print only or does that factor in epub sales?
>>
>>138991988
It was a kadokawa general purpose DMCA which effected any of their works with anime adaptations and/or planned adaptations for said animated chapters

AKA, mondaiji got smashed until after the vampire dragon castle arc and after that its fine. Konosuba is the same until the current volumes.
>>
>>138993018
Don't we have a YA novel industry? Why would teens go out of their way to buy light novels?
>>
>>138991053
That reminds me, i have to order the progressive volumes
>>
>>138992039
>Their own sells figured prove

Gonna need a source on that(and a spellcheck)

> They snipe popular series

Well no shit those are the series they can make the most money on.

> drag their feet translating them

Can't really comment on the 3-4 month delay between volumes(I vaguely remember one of the publishers explaining the reason for that at a panel a while ago but I don't remember it clear enough to pass it off as fact) but at least according to Seven Seas, the reason why there's such a big gap(sometimes almost a year) between when they announce the license to a series and when the first volume hits shelves is that the printers require that print runs be scheduled at least a year in advance.

Also for all those in the thread talking about Konosuba, while nobody's licensed it YET I pretty much guarantee that someone's going to pick it up(or at least the manga adaption) this weekend, its gotten to big to avoid.

With Sakura-Con, Anime Boston and AnimeJapan all happening this weekend the next couple of days should be fucking insane in regards to new show announcements and English licenses.
>>
>>138993239

>With Sakura-Con, Anime Boston and AnimeJapan all happening this weekend the next couple of days should be fucking insane in regards to new show announcements and English licenses.

I hope Touch and Ashita no Joe get released in hardcover or omnibus format, would really love to see that happen.
>>
Niggas are slow as fuck.
>>
>>138992529
Spot the retard.
>>
They trigger LN autists so they're good in my book.

Niggas shouldn't be pissed they can't read babbys literature for free.
>>
File: 20160323_125214-1.jpg (4MB, 1858x2691px) Image search: [Google]
20160323_125214-1.jpg
4MB, 1858x2691px
>>138982866
Mine looked fine
>>
>>138982793
5%
>>
>>138990603
>A volume every four months is grueling

That's the standard and you know, you can read other shit in the mean time. Don't get people who bitch like this as if they only follow one series they like. Time moves fast these days so 4 months is nothing.
>>
>>138982866
Breasts are too big.
>>
>>138982793
You could learn japanese before they release anything.
>>
Yen Press Keit-Ai when?
>>
>>138994698
It will find a way soon.
>>
>>138991973
Kizu was a very high quality print, but it's not like Vertical is licensing a lot of stuff and their pace is even slower than yen press since they're splitting bake into several novels instead of releasing it as one tome. I understand why it's being done like that, but it's not helping get speedy releases of this stuff.
However, if all their stuff is of the quality of Kizu I think I'll buy it just to shelf it. I buy the Log Horizon LNs just because I love the covers so much.
>>
File: 1457998839234.png (260KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1457998839234.png
260KB, 1920x1080px
I was really enjoying reading Overlord until they licensed it. Wouldn't even be mad if they wouldn't be taking until FUCKING 2021 TO CATCH UP TO VOLUME 10.

Yen Press can fuck off.
>>
If niggas can get away translating licenced manga then LN fags are just pussies.
>>
>>138995120
LNs are even easier to release because you can just throw a PDF on nyaa and be done with it. They'll never be able to shut that shit down once a torrent is out, and if you just release full volumes you can't get DMCA'd either.
People are just pussies, or know they'll lose their e-fame as soon as something gets licensed, since interest in the fan TL will wane as higher quality, official translations become available.
>>
>>138993005
Pathetic
>>
>>138982793
Depends. Is their Prison School release uncensored?
>>
>>138995195
I am trying but it's something I have to do daily and college takes my time. I can't try something like that again until holidays.
>>
>>138995416
Of course it's uncensored, it wouldn't make sense if it were censored.
>>
>>138995019
At least Overlord translators will continue.
>>
>>138993239
>Also for all those in the thread talking about Konosuba, while nobody's licensed it YET I pretty much guarantee that someone's going to pick it up(or at least the manga adaption) this weekend, its gotten to big to avoid.
looking forward to the massive butthurt when vol5 is released and they murder tranny demon
>>
>>138994698
Wait for April.
>>
>>138995773
April is Devil is a part-timer and/or log horizon I can remember which
>>
Well shit translations or not, I'm still buying them so show that there is a market here and hoping that well get Monogatari, other than Kizu translated. I just wanna own the physical books that aren't in moonrunes.
>>
>>138995120
>>138995172
Fucking this.

Most ''''''translation''''' are just machine translation crap, of course they are afraid their retarded fanbase will call them out on their bullshit.

>implying their fanbase care in the first place
How can machine translation shit is tolerated in the first place?
>>
>>138982793
There paper has a higher acid content then most other English released manga and when I called them on it they resorted to personal attacks.

Fuck those guys.
>>
>>138995019
Fucking this, those niggas slow as fuck.
>>
>>138996580
What? Please explain, this sounds interesting.
>>
>>138982793
They rarely publish anything I'm interested in so I don't really care.
I do wish they'd put up kindle versions of Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan though
>>
>>138996678
>What? Please explain, this sounds interesting.
They used to have a guy that would start thread in different places, including /a/ to try and gauge interest in different series they might pick up and to shill their brand.

I pointed out that all of my recent purchases from Yen Press have already yellowed beyond manga that I had purchased in the 90's despite being in the same dry shaded room.

The guy basically called me a liar and jumped down my throat. Then he was posted 'Yen Press talks to 4chan' shit on Facebook and other shit places.

I just really can't stand those fuckers. They are worse then 90's Tokyopop.
>>
>>138997169
>I just really can't stand those fuckers. They are worse then 90's Tokyopop.
That is literally a lie. No publisher today is that bad.
Was the yellowing thing about seven seas? I remember them doing one or two Q&A's on /a/ before the mods clamped down on them.
>>
>>138997169
Well that sounds like fun.
>>
>>138997302
Oh, fuck, you are right. I got them confused. I'm sorry.
>>
>>138995018
>High Quality
>No artwork other than the 1-2 pages in the front.
Shit is shameful.
>>
>>138985490
You should have learned Japanese in that time.
>>
>>138982793
/a/ blindly took their word for Horo/Korbo being Holo, so I guess they have followers here.
>>
>>138982850
This. I'll always be happy for their release of Yotsuba&! after ADV Manga crashed and burned.
>>
At least they're getting better about securing digital licenses. Index is on the Kindle store now and I think Maou-sama goes on next month?
>>
>>138982793
it is slow and shit
>>
>>138997910
>Oh, fuck, you are right. I got them confused. I'm sorry.
Thought so. I like the series Seven Seas releases but their print quality is generally quite poor with things like covers that don't completely go to the edges of the inner pages.
>>
I know I enjoy reading light novels 10 years after they finished their run.
Better to space out releases over years for jewbucks rather than provide good service to your customers.
>>
Licensed LN localization is one of those things that I will never understand. Anime is already niche as fuck, but now they're trying to find a niche audience within a niche audience since the only reason why any LN gets printed in the west is due to the success of the adaption, and then they forever to release volumes that have been out in Japan for over half a decade, sometimes going at a pace slower than it takes for brand new volumes to come out in Japan.

While it's probably not terribly expensive to license any LN, it's still a bad horse to bet on if you're hoping to actually make a profit off of it.
>>
>>138999066
It probably costs them next to nothing.

The only costs are the license, translation, and printing.
They're already established localization companies, so they have the first 3 covered.

And since they do next to ZERO marketing, they're not bleeding money with every release.
All their sales result from word of mouth, showing up at conventions and viral marketing on anime forums.
>>
>>138999397
pretty clever
>>
when we get moar Kakegurui chapters? I still believe to the anon who said that.
>>
>>139000804
you just have to believe
>>
>>138982866
Mine is like that but its a dust cover, can easily remove it for the original one, I dont really see a problem
>>
>>138982793
Are there good translation publishers that keep the spoken text translated but leave the sound effect kanji untranslated?
I hated when Viz translates the Japanese sounds emitted from actions with "whooosh" and ect.
I think Dark Horse keeps the sound effects in Japanese in Berserk.
Viz ruined Tokyo Ghoul for me by editing them
>>
>>139002174
I believe the very first edition only had the 3DPD cover and the backlash made them switch to the dust cover method.
>>
>>139003635
It can get annoying.
>>
Somebody go bug them to pick up Antimagic Academy.
>>
>>139003635
Yen Press seems to keep the effects, with a translated description. Some may be replaced, but I couldn't immediately tell by batting through some random volumes.

Seven Seas replaces most of theirs, I can't see an exact pattern of what gets replaced. The ones kept get a translation.
>>
>>138982793
They kill fanbases like the Strike the Blood fanbase by just hoarding the shit out of it and not even doing anything with Strike the Blood.
>>
They now publish light novels (text, no manga), but western people only read books when are source of blockbusters hollywood movies, no chinese cartoons
>>
>>138982793
They kill fanbases like the Strike the Blood fanbase by just hoarding the shit out of it and not even doing anything with Strike the Blood.
>>
New releases takes forever. Otherwise there isn't much to complain about.
>>
>>138991275
Nigga we in vol 19 now. You know how many years thatll take? They fucking delayed vol1 from oct to apr already.
>>
even annoying companies that sometimes mess with releases like seven seas are better because so far haven't seen seven seas killing fan translations. both companies have their shills here
>>
File: 1423531801159.jpg (888KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1423531801159.jpg
888KB, 2000x1250px
>>138999397
>and viral marketing on anime forums
subtle.
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.