[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are selfinsert reincarnation stories so popular in japan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 505
Thread images: 72

File: img000006.png (187KB, 748x1064px) Image search: [Google]
img000006.png
187KB, 748x1064px
Why are selfinsert reincarnation stories so popular in japan? Especially LN's seem to suffer from a ton of those.
>>
they are only popular in japanese webnovels

it's Japan's buddhist roots that made he concept of reincarnation popular, but the genre is only exclusive to webnovels and LNs and manga based on said webnovels

konosuba is the only anime with a reincarnation premise (and even then it's mostly a transport to another world type of story).
>>
>>138952932
>they are only popular in japanese webnovels
I can assure you, they exist and thrive in some niches in the west too.
>>
A couple of them were successful and as any other fad, that led to lots of other stories of the same ilk. They're also an easy way to create a fantasy setting while having some connections to the modern era, and they also give plenty of opportunity for wish fulfillment. It's a genre with a pretty broad net that can snag people of various interests. It's basically a variant of trapped in a game with some other nuance. I'm sure in a few years it will die down once the next exploitable thing comes along.
>>
>>138952932
so yeah no wonder they read like fanfiction, they come from the same source (the internet)

though if you want a country where selfinsert reincarnation is actually I thing, look no further than China

>average Chinese person goes to other world
>other world is completely survival of the fittest and everyone is a martial arts warrior or demigod
>MC begins cultivating and slaughtering his enemies as if he was a native there

pretty much the opposite extreme from your Japanese "just want to be normu!" protag
>>
There's a website called "let's become a novelist" or something in Japan which is essentially like deviantart but for lightnovels. And in that website pretty much every popular series is a reincarnation thing, because teenagers like it I guess.
>>
>>138953177
I mean think about it. If you had a chance to relive your life, with all of your previous memories, in a world filled with magic and monster girls, would you?
>>
>>138953174
you know now I want a series where Jackie Chan is reincarnated into a Xianxia world.
>>
File: 6nRvUds.jpg (132KB, 1497x1000px) Image search: [Google]
6nRvUds.jpg
132KB, 1497x1000px
Which stories from that genre did you like?

I personally enjoyed Overlord and Kumo Desu Ga.

Re:Monster is like a less well written version of Kumo Desu Ga, it's rather boring.
>>
to Japan Re:monster is probably just an amateur webnovel that got published by a small webmanga publisher and equally small LN publisher

but to /a/ it's the first of it's genre we read so it has more of an impact on /a/ than Japan.
>>
>>138953459

It get's overly descriptive, it feels like i'm truly reading a novel in image from
>>
>>138953538
for me it was a good gateway to reading LNs

manga read like a novel
novel read like an RPG log

only thing that got me to drop it was when MC's OP bullshit got bland and tiring.
>>
I think it's because it's convenient. They can create and develop their fantasy world from scratch and they don't have to rely too much on the cliche of the protag being born a genius since he has his past life experience. It's becoming overused though and the beginning is repetitive, most of them are shit, stuff like Re Monster especially. So far, the only really good one is Mushoku Tensei. I heard good things about Kumo whatever but I am not interested right now, Re Monster had hype and yet it's shitty.
>>
It's not the concept that's the problem it's the fact that all of them was written on the web, and as you know any internet made content has little to no quality control. Hell looking at Deviantart and fanfiction it's a wonder it didn't turn out worse.

but if there was more reincarnation series with writing like Mushoku Tensei and Spirit Circle you wouldn't find people complaining as much.
>>
>>138953646
>the only really good one is Mushoku Tensei

Hardly. It's merely decent.
>>
>>138953901
I don't know I think it's quite above decent

but even decent is star quality among its peers
>>
>>138952709
I thinks it's the same reason why Zombie Apocalypse are so popular in the West. It's sort of Escapism where the current rule and structure are gone.

Merrika just like their new world with more gun and chaotic. While Jap likes their world with harem and vidya system.
>>
>>138953326
Is she going to become a sexy Arachne at max level?
>>
>>138954031
yes

for like 5 chapters then she ascends to godhood
>>
>>138953248
Sure. Heck, I would do that even as an adult, which I physically am.
>>
>>138953972
I'd take fighting different varieties of creatures with OP powers and a group of girls wanting my penis to a being cooped up in an old broken down building with a bunch of asshats surrounded by the same generic monsters and most of civilization gone.

seriously I still don't understand the point of zombie apocalypse
>>
>>138954095
Goody!
>>
>>138953646

Is the Mushoku Tensei manga any good or should i go straight for the WN?

Is it translated too?
>>
>>138954474

Even in god form there are still people above her in power level. Another thing that makes it better than Re:Monster is that it focuses on more than just her and is decent at character building.
>>
>>138954530
Sounds like Overlord with the Overlord starting at lvl 1 instead of starting out maxed
>>
>>138954650

The one downside is that the early chapters are machine translated, so it depends on if you can put up with that
>>
>>138954879
I'm rather enjoying it right now. The context makes it fun to read despite the horribad translation!
>>
>>138953901
Which ones do you find good?
>>138954497
I decided not to read the manga because I hate the art. The novel is translated, it's better to read it.
>>
>>138952709
Because otaku are even bigger losers than us. They love to self insert and are way more sensitive about their waifus.
>>
>>138955163
>than us
Don't put me in the basket as you, loser.
>>
>>138955146

Downloaded the first few volumes as epub for now, time to charge my kindle again.
>>
Okay let's highjack this and make it a LN/WN thread.
>tfw you'll never be a weapons shop uncle
>>
>>138953326
The one where the company middle manager gets reincarnated as a slime and the first "person" he encounters is a legendary dragon sealed by a hero.
>>
>>138955307

That's a cute oni
>>
>>138953174
I hate when the character has never even fought before and everybody fails to kill him for whatever reason.
>>
Again!! and Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite are fairly good
a lot of the rest are shit
>>
File: kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka.jpg (75KB, 350x517px) Image search: [Google]
kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka.jpg
75KB, 350x517px
>drawing her in pink just to make her look cute
>barely even looks like a spider, her aditional eyes look like a nose thanks to the shitty art
>>
>>138955490
>high school drama shit
>good

Saike Mata Shite mo blows them both out of the water.
>>
File: 1 (1).jpg (561KB, 728x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1 (1).jpg
561KB, 728x1760px
>>138953326
Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo Dorei Majutsu is my guilty pleasure. I know it's trash but it's pretty funny too.

Basically this NEET guy is summoned as his MMO character yadda yadda yadda you know the drill. But the kicker is that he's forgotten how to talk to girls so the only option he can see is to roleplay as his demon lord persona from the game. It results in some pretty hilarious misunderstandings.
>>
Reminder that New Gate has mediocre art.
>>
>>138955491
at first I thought it wasn't possible to make the MC cute while still maintaining her monstrous qualities

then the manga came out
>>
File: 10 (2).jpg (126KB, 728x1051px) Image search: [Google]
10 (2).jpg
126KB, 728x1051px
How fare do you think the Nejimaki anime will go? I really enjoy the series because the protagonist is a manslut but it isn't wholly integral to the story or glorified in any way.
>>
>>138955650
Don't start this again.
>>
>>138952709
I really liked re:moster. I read the light novel because I couldn't wait for the manga scans. When the nightly orgies and elf sex slaves started happening I was genuinely mad. I think it might have been the most disappointed i've ever been in a book or possibly in general.
>>
>>138955650
it has mediocre everything
>>
>>138952709
It only recently exploded in popularity so this is just the beginning, since 2012 I think.
Overlord, re monster, mushoku tensei, shield hero.

I guess the authors didn't want to do "trapped in a game" thing like SAO so they just said fuck it, reincarnation it is.
>>
>>138952709
Because wish fulfillment, people that have wasted their lives and feel no sense of accomplishment are attracted to these kinds of stories, they think deep down that maybe in the next life they'll be genuinely happy or badass when the truth is that there's probably nothing after death. They'd be happy if they could discard that yearning for accomplishments and simply accept an hedonistic lifestyle.
>>
http://krytykal.org/daybreak/
They should drop the reincarnation bullshit and go back to summoning people from other worlds as familiars
>>
>>138955794
Shield Hero isn't even a reincarnation story. It's just a parallel world slip.
>>
>read Kumo
>character reincarnates into goblin
>gets OP power
>has katana
>becomes respected in the village
>humans slaughter his entire family
>has the MC eat his sister
>becomes the dual-wielding hulk and start slaughtering innocent people

it's like this series is trying to make fun of genre's like these
>>
>>138955794
Overlord isn't really reincarnation since he dosen't die to get to the new world.
>>
they're all webcomics so

(a. there is no cost in originally making them
(b. companies (LN, manga, anime, etc.) don't need to spend that much to acquire the rights
(c. all these stories, every last one of them, are on one site so it's easy to find them.
>>
>>138955621
not read these things in over a year
your series didn't even exist when I cared about this stuff
>>
>>138955976
Overlord is more trapped in a video game that became a fantasy world
>>
>>138956001
webnovels*

might as well be webcomics though you are basically reading the japanese equivalent to megatokyo.
>>
>>138955758
re:monster reads like a first-person wikipedia synopsis.
>>
File: img000015.jpg (737KB, 1688x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000015.jpg
737KB, 1688x1200px
>>138955783
The New Gate is one of the best. Your waifu didn't even wait 15 years this perfect goddess waited FIVE FUCKING HUNDRED.
>>
>>138956020
He is trapped in no video game though. It's simply a transportation into a totally new world.
>>
>>138955976
You don't really have to die to qualify. You just have to be an ordinary joe who suddenly finds himself fantasy land.
>>
>>138956020
No, the game didn't become a world, he was transported to world that other players were transported to before him and they changed the world to have certain elements from the game (pretty much the only elements that came from Yggdrasil is ranked magic and some equipment left by previous palyers). And the NW is very much it's own world with it's own unique things, namely wild magic and martial arts.
>>
>>138956180
then just call it "transported to another world" series
>>
>>138956180
>You don't really have to die to qualify.
I thought that was the whole point of reincarnation, otherwise you were just transported to another world.
>>
>>138956199
>>138956215
Well since you no longer exist in the original world (presumably), you're technically dead... right?

Or classed as a "missing person" assumed to be dead.

Come to think of it, I want to watch an anime where a dumbass gets himself transported into a video game world and his friends have to play the game to try to get him out.
>>
>>138956278
>his friends have to play the game to try to get him out.

And if they turn off the console/PC/server he dies.
And the MMO company that owns the servers is running out of money and has to shut it down, so it's a race against time.

Hang on... I'm actually going to write this shit.
>>
File: 1362862898307.jpg (44KB, 487x556px) Image search: [Google]
1362862898307.jpg
44KB, 487x556px
>author and readers are ugly, fat, hikki/NEET otaku
>they're lonely and suicidally depressed, but too cowardly to kill themselves or make any change
>the story involves MC-kun dying (usually in his one selfless act ever) and being reborn as a tall, handsome, muscular, OP hero
>delicious virgin women throw themselves at MC-kun vagina first with no effort on his part
>MC now has the good life without ever having to put an ounce of effort into improving himself or his situation

Why wouldn't it be popular? Although Re: Monster doesn't match that archetype at all since MC was an alpha pussy slayer in his previous life as well, that's why most of them are popular.
>>
>>138956278
>His friends don't realize it and are making him teabag corpses
>When they turn the game off he's branded a necrophiliac and arrested
>>
>>138956278
MIA != DIA

just say they transferred it's more accurate especially since they transferred body and all

reincarnation means they are dead, not "sort of dead"
>>
>>138954222
>seriously I still don't understand the point of zombie apocalypse
It's """"""realistic"""""" escapist fantasy. Because, like, zombies totally could happen, man. And then it's cool to be a survivor and stuff. Never mind the fact that most of the fags that consume this stuff would be the first to be zombies.
>>
>>138956325

What if they actually control his character and he complains every time they force him to do some action
>>
>>138956278
>Well since you no longer exist in the original world (presumably), you're technically dead... right?
No you aren't dead you were transported.
>Or classed as a "missing person" assumed to be dead.
What does that matter?
>Come to think of it, I want to watch an anime where a dumbass gets himself transported into a video game world and his friends have to play the game to try to get him out.
That would be pretty interesting.
>>
File: truck.png (984KB, 704x1024px) Image search: [Google]
truck.png
984KB, 704x1024px
It's our old friend, the murder truck
>>
>>138956335

Don't forget he was also a cannibal esper
>>
File: img000003 (2).png (2MB, 1104x784px) Image search: [Google]
img000003 (2).png
2MB, 1104x784px
>>138956335
>People call Mushoku Tensei "A story of REDEMPTION"
>More like the story of a guy getting enough pussy in his genetically superior body that he doesn't need to be a pedophile anymore

The manga art is so good too. I'd love it if he was just some prodigy and not a fat pedo loser.
>>
>>138956354
Zombie shit is awful because the survivors have to fuck up in order for the drama to happen. Watching a bunch of people fail at surviving the zombie apocalypse isn't entertaining. But watching them take proper precautions and do everything correctly wouldn't attract the drooling masses. The genre falls flat on its face.
>>
funny thing NEET MCs are actually a minority in the reincarnation genre

usually it's salarymen, high schoolers, or already OP characters (like in Re:monster)

of them NEET MCs are probably the only ones of those with a flaw (usually tailored to how much they sucked in their last life)

OP muscular MC that women fawn over tends to be the life of the guy who was OP or a salaryman in his last life.
>>
>>138956453
If someone writes a "takes proper precautions" manga about surviving a zombie apocalypse, it would become the required reading textbook at surviving zombie apocalypses.
>>
File: zonbi_img.png (587KB, 640x880px) Image search: [Google]
zonbi_img.png
587KB, 640x880px
Zombie imoutou or vampire onee-san?
>>
File: 1454308261041.png (286KB, 910x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1454308261041.png
286KB, 910x1300px
>>138956399
I don't really understand how that saves anyone. To pull someone out of the way and then do a full forward dive to push 2 other people out of the way would require such lightning fast speed. If the truck was any slower you could just shout to the people to get out of the way. And if the people still didn't get out of the way natural selection has determined they aren't fit to survive.

I blame the electric truck engine most of all though. Environmentalists are doing god's work killing all these sociological parasites.
>>
>>138956477
want to reply to >>138956335
>>
Reminder that funi will sub naii wa as now ay.
>>
File: 1458240416832.png (22KB, 1848x115px) Image search: [Google]
1458240416832.png
22KB, 1848x115px
>>138956098
Triggered
>>
>>138956477
Because becoming a soulless salaryman in japan is just an inevitability of life. Like dying or getting wrinkles, to the point everyone can relate to it.
>>
>>138956335
>author and readers are ugly, fat, hikki/NEET otaku
But /a/ read them too, and we are all little girls here.
>>
>>138956434

Yeah, he was some next dimensional alpha shit. Literally ate his enemies for breakfast, that's hard to beat.

>>138956443

Mushoku Tensei did start off as a pathetic pustule of a man improving himself through hard work and discipline, but at some point he was just handed fucking everything. I think giving him borderline infinite magic power and a harem killed any motivation that he might have had to improve, and by the end literally everything he does is out of some misplaced sense of obligation and to protect his vagina. And he never stopped being a pedophile to begin with, Roxy is his permaloli waifu that will look like a prepubescent girl for the rest of his life.

I like the manga, but it would be nice if they didn't shove his fat, greasy, otaku visage in there every chapter.
>>
>>138955899
>>138955794
Isn't stuff like shield bro called Sword & Game?
>>
>>138956477
I won't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but most of the ones I've seen has involved the MC being a loser in their past life.

Also, I think depressed, lonely, soulless businessmen in a thankless dead end job fall under the same loser umbrella that lonely, depressed otaku would, even if some details change. In the end they're all wish fulfillment with zero risk or effort on the part of the MC to improve their situation.

>>138956354
>>138956453
Shit man, I love zombie movies, I didn't realize they were hated by people.
>>
>>138952932
>konosuba is the only anime with a reincarnation premise
I think OP meant the isekai genre in general, rather than specifically reincarnation which includes shit like SAO, Log Horizon and Overlord, just to mention a few recent series for example.
>>
>>138953326

Kumo Desu Ga is pretty great. Some of the early translations are honestly borderline unreadable, but it's such an interesting concept and a cute MC that I can't help buy keep reading. I tried getting into Overlord, but going from the anime to the LN was too hard for me so I stopped; maybe if I give it time I can get into it.

Mushoku Tensei's first half was pretty great, but it got really bloated the longer it went on due to all the half finished plotlines. I still haven't got around to reading the last volume, I have no interest left.

Most others, like Shield Hero, aren't very good. I still have a dozen of this genre in my WN/LN backlog though, so I hope I find more good ones.
>>
>>138956762

Most people are bored by zombie stories by now.
>>
>>138956762
SAO is reincarnation? i thought that was trapped in a game setting.
>>
>>138956762
I used to love Zombie movies, but then when I actually got into hardcore zombie survival shit, I realized just how utterly retarded the things people in Zombie movies do are. It's hard for me to look at them the same way any more, you just sit there and watch them act like complete morons and think about how much of a better job you'd be doing.
>>
>>138956629
do you wish the series would've went the path of the diary chapters where though the same flaw he had that ruined his first life completely destroyed his second?
>>
>>138955758
You're a retard and should've seen that coming.
>>
File: 1458516292677.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458516292677.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>138956399
Any series where the truck is the main villain?
>>
>>138956845

There are some pretty decent zombie comedies though, like Wasting Away where the main characters turn into zombies but don't realize they did.
>>
File: 13 (1).jpg (188KB, 703x1024px) Image search: [Google]
13 (1).jpg
188KB, 703x1024px
>>138956629
>Mushoku Tensei did start off as a pathetic pustule of a man improving himself through hard work and discipline, but at some point he was just handed fucking everything.

Yeah, being the child of famous adventurers/nobles will do that to you. I can't imagine his parents would've been psyched about some 40 year old pedophile stranger stealing their stillborn baby's body and pretending to be a prodigy.

If he really didn't want to be a scumbag this time around he'd pop outta that vagina and say "Mother, Father, I am 40 year old virgin shut-in from another world, I would humbly request for you to allow me refuge until I reach adulthood in this body."
>>
>>138956870
Fuuka.
>>
>>138956858
Yes. It's not even that the volumes after 16 were terrible, it was just anti climactic. There was so much potential to the hitogami apostles arc and it fell flat. Fucking Gisu is not a good villain.
>>
>>138956917
Yeah but that's comedy. Zombieland was hilarious too, they go out of their way to make fun of a lot of zombie movie tropes. I was referring to actual zombie survival shit like Walking Dead and such. It's just terrible.
>>
>>138956927
Regardless of the intention, he was a net positive on their lives, minus the mana catastrophe.
>>
>>138956831
really the only arcs I didn't like of MT was the Pax and Milis arcs

otherwise I view the second part the same as the second part of Kumo, where the world's politics took over instead of the MC's personal dilemmas.
>>
>>138957009
>>138956927
Well, the mana catastrophe was caused by the time-rewinder princess and anyway, the baby was supposed to be dead already.
>>
>>138956927
He was given a fresh start and decided to do it properly and love/respect his parents like he was supposed to. And he did a decent job of it.
>>
>>138956832
I've seen some good ones recently, though they were just random shit I saw on Netflix. I think the thing people are bored with are the ways zombies are used, rather than the idea itself.

>>138956845
Well, that's true with most stories in my opinion. The majority of the time, the story would conclude without an interesting conflict if the main characters applied common sense and logic to their scenario. This is especially true for drama, horror, and action stories, since they usually revolve around the characters being functional retards.

Besides, if you can have enough suspension of disbelief for the initial infections, I find the fast zombies/infected humans type of zombie to be pretty interesting and hard to deal with. If zombies are weak, slow, and stupid like your traditional ones then the story is pretty fucking stupid regardless of how it's done. But if they're fast, or worse, smart, then I think there are still a lot of potential interesting stories to be told. Plus there's the relatively recent idea of "special" mutated zombies like in Left For Dead and Dying Light that revives a tired concept.
>>
>>138956343
Thanks anon, needed the laugh someone please write this
>>
>>138957015
I liked the Pax arc. The suicide scene was great. Milis arc was objectively the worst arc, minus the templar fight.

How does the fujoshi spider novel compare to MT in terms of writing quality?
>>
File: Heroesjourney.png (87KB, 1019x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Heroesjourney.png
87KB, 1019x1024px
Because it's the easiest way to do the Hero's Journey.

You can simply skip the boring part and go straight to the adventure
>>
File: 56456.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
56456.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>138957009
That's such sophistry. Seek out the genuine. You would've failed 3rd impact too you Seele shill.
>>
>>138957072
>the baby was supposed to be dead already.
Having a new baby that whose body isn't inhabited by a creepy old man isn't a difficult thing.
>>
>>138957096
>fujoshi

I'm on chapter 123 and it's not fujo in the slightest so far. People throw that word around way too much.

The chapters I've read so far are machine translated, so the writing quality can be pretty fucking bad at times even if I don't know how the original writing was. Additionally, there are cutaways to Generic Hero-Sama occasionally that are annoying since the most enjoyable part is Kumo herself. That being said, it's still interesting and unique, so I'd recommend trying it out.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 532x2352px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 532x2352px
>>138957097
I've always wanted a SOL series about a hero that "finally returns" to the real world and he's unable to find good work so he's just a middle-class salaryman with all these weird lightning reflexes and useless skills.
>>
>>138957114
It's not fallacious in the least. If you're genuine and have good intentions but fuck everyone over, you're on the road to hell.

That's like saying everyone's effort matters regardless of the result, SJW philosophy, the reason our schools are fucked up and a much higher than expected proportion of gifted students get fucked.
>>
File: img000008 (5).png (382KB, 855x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000008 (5).png
382KB, 855x1200px
>>138957268
That oneshot by the Hinamatsuri guy was also very good/similar.
>>
>>138952709
Why is it that every time somebody reincarnates into a fantasy world it turns out that world functions on the same principles as a Korean grindfest MMO that never made it past playtesting?
>>
>>138957284
Deceiving people = wrong
Even though you say "everything worked out all right" there is absolutely no way to know that it would. And of course the author wouldn't go down that path in the first place.

Hindsight is 20/20
>>
>>138957096
MT seems like it wants to make fun of the reincarnation cliches most of the time >MC is mistaken for a demon at the beginning
>father catches on to genji plan and beats him
>Eris wants to be an adventurer but Rudi questions why
>cunning plan leaves kids dead
>school thinks he's a delinquent
>hypes japanese food throughout the series only for friends to think "meh it's ok"

Kumo seems to fucking hate those cliches
>righteous high school MC is HxH level detached
>Vampire girl gets reverse harem, turns out they are all mind controlled
>the church is actually reasonable in their bullshit
>goblin reincarnated character is used as a tool
>cute loli demon lord is actually as monstrous as they say
>>
>>138957268
The funny thing is finding a job would be another Hero's Journey, a mildly boring one.
>>
>>138957353
I don't even think you're addressing my argument at this point. You have the logic of a chuuni.
>>
>>138956927
The fact of the matter is, he was their son. Paul and Zenith fucked, and he is what came out. He had a responsibility to be their son. Ignorance is bliss, anon. Deception is sometimes the best course of action. His parents were happier just thinking their son was a prodigy. Paul died happy, knowing he protected his son, and Rudy properly grieved for his father.
>>
>>138957376
>righteous high school MC is HxH level detached
What do you mean?
>>
>>138956927
>Yeah, being the child of famous adventurers/nobles will do that to you

I realize why it happened. I mean his family is wealthy and famous, he worked for royalty, he had cheat powers and plot armor, and he inherited his mother and father's ridiculously good looks so women threw themselves at him from a young age. Just because I know why it happened doesn't make it any less disappointing that the theme of "I will use my will and discipline to improve as a human" petered out due to Rudi being handed everything. Even his trip through the Demon Continent was a cakewalk because Rujeird babysat him the whole time.

The story started out as one that was a second chance for a parasite to redeem himself into a human through hardwork, but at some point it just became more lazy wish fulfillment in which MC is handed everything in the company of beautiful women. I wish the author had been more up front with the direction he wanted to take the story so I didn't sink so much time into the story. It ended up being remarkably drab and anticlimactic after he changed the focus.
>>
>>138956831
>it's such an interesting concept
It's the exact same as any other "reincarnated into an MMO" shit except with a twist that instead of the MC being the hero, the demon lord, or some random villager who becomes the hero, she's a random mob monster who becomes pretty much just the demon lord.
>>
File: 10 (3).jpg (217KB, 728x1054px) Image search: [Google]
10 (3).jpg
217KB, 728x1054px
>>138957376
MT perpetuated a lot of those cliches in the first place. You guys really need to stop thinking that shit is deeper than it actually is.
>>
>>138954222

Survival, in the past our ancestors had to fight for every grain of food, but today you can go from your safe job to your safe house, order food and eat well, the danger of starving is so small it might as well not exist.

In a zombie apocalypse trough, it would be you against the world, no bullshit powers to help you, just you doing the best you can to stay alive.

For some people its a fantasy "I am man enough to keep myself and my loved ones alive in a brutal world like that?", the same way some people seek easy pleasure and endless sex in some fantasies, zombie lovers dream of testing themselves against an unfair world, to be warriors again, to be respected by the community for doing what man always did best, hunting, fighting, killing, and not just being another mindless drone working a factory job 7 to 5 every day.

Oh and lots of guns, zombies are not alive, its not a sin to pump them full of lead even if doing that is just the greater sin of wasting ammunition.
>>
>>138957420
I'm sure plenty of people have happy marriages where their wife is sleeping around behind their back too, it doesn't make it right even if they never found out.
>>
because reincarnation makes Japanese sociopaths in another world?
>>
>>138957430
that outside he seems like a cool guy but inside he has no problems with killing and has socially distant narrations most of the time

basically justifying the "dense harem lead" cliche by making him a sociopath (due to the taboo skill).
>>
>>138957459
I don't think you remember all the internal monologue that happened. At the beginning of the story, things really were heavier and using a picture of the manga doesn't do that justice. It's just that not many people expected average novel level writing from a light novel.
>>
>>138957509
You make it sound like it's his fault. He had no control over the fact he was reincarnated.
>>
>>138957345
It kind of reminds me of the real world, so I wonder if this is some sort of subtle jab at their readers on the part of the author.

>wow, if you train a certain thing six times a week for an hour, your skill will incrementally increase!
>In only a few decades, you can become a master at that skill just by routinely training!
>If you dedicate yourself with discipline and resolve, your hard work can achieve most goals over time!

It's literally real life, just with number values and official names assigned to everything. Anybody can become really fucking good at something if they dedicate a lot of time and effort to it, and they can be successful through the same thing, but for some reason it only "matters" if it's with a video game flavor to it.
>>
>author wants to write a fantasy story
>editor says what's popular is making the MC a self-insert
>so they add a first chapter about how the MC is actually from Japan and died or something before coming to the new world
>occasionally mention that while writing a straight fantasy novel
>>
>>138957298
Can I be reborn as a QT blonde
>>
>>138952709
because the nips hyped themselves up on vr-hyper realistic fantasy mmos in the 2000s, and when the industry failed to deliver, they said 'fuck it, we will just write books about it instead'.
>>
File: question.jpg (180KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
180KB, 945x945px
>>138957445
>it's just like all these other stories except huge parts of the story are totally different

Yes, all stories are identical, they just have different characters, plots, settings, and times changed out.
>>
>>138957459
>MT perpetuated a lot of those cliches in the first place.

doubt it, it's one of the first of it's genre /a/ read but I doubt it's the first of it's genre or the first to use any cliches it's fucking with

Like you got Orsted who is pretty much the MC of any other series of its type but is mostly just regulated to the "2good2use" character.
>>
>>138957459
>character plans to tame a girl by false kidnapping
>ends up getting the girl beaten within an inch of her life and almost getting killed in the process
>>
>>138952960
>>138952932
>they are only popular in japanese webnovels

Chinese webnovel literature is actually a lot heavier on this trope than the Nips are.

Look up any translated xianxia and practically half of them incorporate it.
>>
>>138954879
oh god, i thought they were legit translations and that the author was going for a kind of ditsy semi-retarded writing style on purpose.

arigato identification-sama.
>>
File: kaQCGuD.gif (2MB, 619x350px) Image search: [Google]
kaQCGuD.gif
2MB, 619x350px
>>138957268
>SOL series about a hero that "finally returns" to the real world and he's unable to find good work
>I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.

There was also a Korean comic I think about a hero who defeats the Demon Lord and plans to marry the kidnapped princess, but turns out it wasn't the princess who was kidnapped, it was prince shota. He basically gives up and becomes an otaku NEET.
>>
>>138957636
It's success helped popularize the genre. Stuff like Rain helped too but the reincarnation fad really took off when people saw how well the MT was doing commercially. It become a very well received business model for LN publishers because it's so much easier to just adapt a handful of chuuni wank WN then to meet with real authors
>>
>>138957673
>"He's well intentioned!"
>>
>>138957268
You could read Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban, it's a SOL series about all kinds of heroes being born, reincarnated, summoned etc. into various worlds, and what happens during and after their voyages, and their different points of view on the other's struggles (and sometimes helping each other). Some of them have several problems readjusting to their life after their adventure, to say the least. And one of them gets summoned all the time.
>>
>>138957718
it's only been published as a LN a few years ago, before that it's a free webcomic there was neither cost to make it nor profit that they got from it.

I mean it's big on /a/ but is there really sells chart that says it's actually big in moonland?
>>
>>138957564
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of these "reincarnation" stories really have no need to involve reincarnation since it has zero bearing on the story. Couldn't they just have MC be a slightly more special character or something? Like the goblin, instead of having a human soul in it, is just a really smart goblin. Or the giant spider with a human soul in it just happens to be the first spider to evolve sapience for some reason. Honestly I would find the lonely struggle of being truly unique in your species on the way to whatever goal the story has to be more interesting than the "lol hax I have all my memories" shit.

>>138957691
I forgot the name, but that was a fun read. Bonus points for the Demon Lords also being washed up has-beens with zero applicable skills outside of being warriors.
>>
>>138956530
zombies are shit, too undead, vampire anything honestly
>>
File: img000001 (6).png (359KB, 1020x1500px) Image search: [Google]
img000001 (6).png
359KB, 1020x1500px
>>138957578
I want a genderbender series where the guy stays hetero in the female body and is visibly disgusted by the men trying to court them (and can see through their intentions easily)
>>
>>138957749
In other WNs his plan would work without a hitch because the MC is a flawless child prodigy that can do no wrong

this one he's an idiot, who's plans often have problems or fail because he doesn't think things through
>>
Anyone read slime tensei?
>>
>>138957854
this, there was one story 'I refuse to be conquered' looked like it was going in that direction, he would visibly show disgust towards men and only hang with girls, but then he had a dream where the past him tells him the reincarnated him is different and to forget about him and the past life. Shit was stupid. Reincarnation was played way too straight. Fuck it.
>>
>>138957800
The reincarnation light novel/web novel boom is fairly recent dude. It's light novel adaptation (and manga adaptation) really became the beacon of light for all those WN writers who want to be adapted. MT was successful enough for other publishers to adopt this, and that's why you have so many of them these days (even if the WN is older).

Shield hero helped too.
>>
>>138957677
>oh god, i thought they were legit translations and that the author was going for a kind of ditsy semi-retarded writing style on purpose.

I have to say that the translations do add a fun, slightly retarded feel to Kumo's thoughts and actions, especially once she gets multiple personalities and starts talking to her split personalities. Her commentary and excitement with hunting and eating is especially adorable, though I wonder how much of that is intended in the original writing and how much is just unintentional from the machine translation. It becomes pretty painful when it gets to the offshoot S stories with Generic Hero-sama though.
>>
>>138957854
I don't really remember this part, was this an extension or what?
>>
>>138957854
there's tons of series like that (Dragon bloodline, Tilea's worries, HTG, Alice, etc.)

one where the MC becomes a girl and wants to fuck guys are pretty rare (just Vampire girl and Katia from Kumo is all I can think of).
>>
>>138957923
Reminds me of the shitty blazblue manga where the guy decides being a girl and falling in love with a man is more fun.
>>
>>138957268
Source, please.
>>
>>138957623
The premise is pretty much the same even if the execution varies.
>>
>>138957948
Are those manga though?
>>
>>138957875
His plan did work and he got both the girl and the total admiration of her family for successfully thwarting an actual kidnapping.
>>
>>138957924
I just don't see MT as popular in Japan

I mean it doesn't have an anime, barely any fanart of it, manga is purely a webmanga, when it got popular on /a/ there was only three volumes out of the LN, no figurines, no one referencing it (except Bocchi Tensei).

can you show me the sells numbers
>>
File: I'm here for the job interview.png (904KB, 918x889px) Image search: [Google]
I'm here for the job interview.png
904KB, 918x889px
>>138957824
4 Cut Hero, hasn't seen an update in over 3 months now.
>>
You know what I hate most in reincarnation stories, be LN or fanfics?

There is always a point where the faggot mc will say something like "I never wanted this, this power, I all wanted was to be a normal human bean waaahh!".

Really faggot, you have godlike powers, powers that will allow you to experience things most people only dream off, and the first thing you do is bitch and whine about you want to go back to a weak little human existence? Get real.
>>
>>138958020
I think it had similar sales as Overlord?
>>
>>138957854
In that hero forum series that gender bender thing is actually brought up one chapter. In the world one of them gets summoned to its only the spirit that gets summoned and inhabits the body of a chosen priestess. He spends a couple of pages bitching about exactly what you describe and how he can't even enjoy the body because he's never alone.
>>
File: no result.png (145KB, 764x785px) Image search: [Google]
no result.png
145KB, 764x785px
>>138957854
Source? Google gives moonrunes.

>>138957982
That's what a fucking genre is. I can't tell if you're an idiot or trolling.

>sci-fi
>Oh wow, futuristic technologies that often involve space, how original!

>military
>Oh wow, fighting and killing, it's just like the news!

>drama
>Oh wow, people are autistic and can't express their emotions and desires well enough! Good job!

>Tragedy
>Waaaah people die and I may or may not have been NTR'd!

>SOL
>Literally nothing happens so you can fill the hole in your heart with fake socialization and happiness.

I could go on and on.
>>
>>138958041
>There is always a point where the faggot mc will say something like "I never wanted this, this power, I all wanted was to be a normal human bean waaahh!"
I've only seen this happen once in Konosuba and that series plays the whole concept for laughs. Can you give me one other example?
>>
>>138958041
kinda why I read Xianxia novels more often

MC doesn't just want his power, he wants more powe
>>
>>138958069
That's what I was thinking about as a I wrote that post. That chapter was funny as fuck.
>>138958028
It got an official english translation (that's behind the fan one too and behind a coin-based paywall).
>>
>>138957990
that wasn't part of the deal
>>
>>138958020
None of them have gotten very popular yet. Gate, Overlord, and Konosuba are just starting to trickle into the anime territory, and those are all because they're so adaptable. MT would be very hard to adapt if you aren't in it for the long haul.
>>
>>138958028
>4 Cut Hero

Thanks man. Too bad about the updates, it was surprisingly funny.

>>138958041
Fuck dude, every god damn time. Even worse, it almost always ties in with the MC being a loser in their previous life, which makes them not wanting to be literal gods even more perplexing. Such a stupid cliche.

>>138958101
How do you even find out which Xianxia novels are worth checking out? I've noticed I need to sink hours into most novels/WNs/LNs before I can really tell if they are good or not, and it's really time consuming to try every single one without an idea if it's decent first.
>>
>>138958155
>MT would be very hard to adapt if you aren't in it for the long haul.

Then we'd just end up with another blueball like Guin Saga that drops out after barely adapting anything. Hopefully the manga does it all at least, it's pretty fun to read a truncated MT with pretty pictures.
>>
>>138957924
Yet there's no anime for either.
>>
File: 21 (2).jpg (231KB, 715x1021px) Image search: [Google]
21 (2).jpg
231KB, 715x1021px
>>138957854
Seems like Only Sense Online will end up like that, since the guy's virtual avatar is only a girl. Obviously a shameless SAO clone but who cares.
>>
>>138958210
That's why I like shield hero they could have decided to forsake their godly powers and live as humans; instead they just leave behind mortal copies of themselves to absorb memories from on the worlds they visit during their godslaying escapades.
>>
>>138958115
I still like the ones with the Sage where he's actively supplying both sides of the Demon lord vs Heroes fight in his world because he doesn't want people to figure out he's actually the former hero and make him fight again.
>>
>>138957924
really I think me saying that MT taking some cliches and laughing at them is let overestimating it than you saying it outright created/popularized those cliches.

like it's still using the cliches it's just more self-conscious about it, but just because it's the first of the genre we read doesn't mean it' was one of the pioneers of it (it just means that the series are so blended together they often tread the same ground).

SAO and Mahouka are popular there's sells and an anime to prove it, MT was just a good series the guys at baka tsuki found.
>>
>>138958294
Here's the flowchart
>SH and MT WN becomes popular
>Publisher tries to adapt them commercially into LNs
>It works pretty well
>WN authors catch wind of thise
>Start shilling out shitty reincarnation/other world plots because they don't want to work
>Publishers adopt the MT/SH model and start selling these WN as LN
>It seems to work out well
>Couple years go by
>Anime industry begins to see the increasing popularity of this genre and decides to capitalize
>picks a handful of the most popular/easiest ones to adapt
>2016 now
>???
>3rd Impact makes us all reincarnate into over-powered bodies in fantasy worlds

Do you see how time around =/= inherent popularity now?
>>
>>138958390
SAO and Mahouka are precursors though. I'm just explaining the recent rise of popularity of reincarnated isekai stuff. Honestly I completely forgot the original conversation though orz.
>>
>>138958210
I dunno I just read a premise or recommendation that appeals to me.

though some of those series are pretty "ghetto" in nature. Like I'm reading MGA and most of the time finding myself reading it in ebonics

>translates "your courting death!" to "whatcha say nigga?"
>>
>>138958020
It sells about 10-15K per vol, pretty good considering it has no anime or live action film.
>>
>>138958308
I don't know anon, Yun was pretty much a girl in almost everything, that and the ton of scenes he has with his best friend.
>>
>>138957936
>It becomes pretty painful when it gets to the offshoot S stories with Generic Hero-sama though.

coincidentally i skipped the side stories because i did not give a single fuck about non-spider problems.
>>
alright, posting 5 decent reincarnation/sent to another world stories.
Death March (WN)
Jikuu Mahou
Isekei Meikyuu
The Man Picked up by the gods
No Fatigue

I'm reading over 80 series at once and I've probably dropped or finished that much as well.
I've read more in the last 4 months than most people read in years
>>
>>138958082
I literally can see the source in that image.
>>
>>138958308
yun is a god damn lady boy irl and the only reason the author made him a girl avatar online was specifically to cockblock/prevent romantic entanglments in his wishfullfillment waifu mmo adventure.
>>
>>138958720
I've wanted to, but they've had some interesting foreshadowing for spider-chan so I've trudged through them. They really are incredibly uninteresting though.

>>138958750
Thanks mane. Was going to start the Man Picked Up by the Gods after I catch up on Kumo, but I'll check out the others too.
>>
>>138958750
Well it's easy to do that when you're a NEET. Can you rank those in order of priority?
>>
>>138958927
Those 5?
Death March
Isekei Meikyuu
Man Picked Up by the Gods
Jikuu Mahou
No Fatigue

I'm not a NEET, I just spend all my free time reading
>>
>>138958836
Honestly I believe the only reason he's a boy irl is because of an editor's intervention.
>>
>>138957824
The spider was really just a reincarnated spider
>>
File: 005.png (387KB, 855x1200px) Image search: [Google]
005.png
387KB, 855x1200px
Gah. Why couldn't this series just have been about Sakurako?
>>
>>138959067
If you can't self-insert via the penis what's the point? That's why Kumo is useless.
>>
>>138959262
Are you implying you don't want to self insert as a girl?

Faggot
>>
>>138959262

I'd insert my penis into Kumo
>>
File: 1444071083496.jpg (61KB, 676x174px) Image search: [Google]
1444071083496.jpg
61KB, 676x174px
>>138958429
One would think it's not like that but it do.
>>
>>138955624
I know I'm gonna regret it, but picked up.
>>
>>138955624
This is like "my death flags show no sign of ending" but the MC in death flag says everythign he means like if he had tourrettes
>>
>>138959430
If you like it, read commushou. While it was dropped by the translators, what was there is great.

>>138959493
He says things normally but the body of the character he is in filters it to how the character spoke when it was a game.
>>
You guys should give Terror Infinity a try, the author is a obvious westaboo and weeaboo who shamelessly rips off everything.

It's pretty much Gantz but MC has to survice in movie settings (Resident Evil, Alien, The Mummy, Starship Troopers, Jojo just to name a few) and the MC is a xianxia character. All the power ups and weapons are usually taken from something, he mentions Doraemon and One Piece at one point.

I actually think it's a lot better then Gantz and more well thought out. Also one of the side characters is in love with his trap imouto
>>
>>138958750
>Isekei Meikyuu
Literally just grinding in a labyrinth plus some kinky stuff. Also the 'game mechanics' are super boring.
I dropped it after 100 something chapters because I started feeling sleepy when reading chapters of it.
>>
>>138957674
I haven't read too many xianxia but only 2 of them that I can think of didn't have reincarnation.
>>
>>138959797
It gets better. The current arc has him being inducted into a secret society of labyrinth explorers.
The slow pace and lack of any danger is nice. I mean, the first chapter had him choose a world with minimum danger so it isn't like you didn't know what you were getting in to.
>>
>>138952709
Because we've already wasted our lives.
>>
>>138952709
Anyone here keep an eye out for Reincarnation no Kaben? What was the talent of John Wayne Gacy and the rest of the good guys? I had to ask here since tranlation is never ever
>>
>>138959857
>The slow pace and lack of any danger is nice.
My complains are the boring 'game mechanics' and narration of the battles. I'm okay with everything else. I might try reading it in the nights so I can sleep earlier.
>>
>>138957959
It's one of Mizukami Satoshi's one shots
>>
>>138953326
I loved Mushoku Tensei but I got sick of it around when it became a full harem. I haven't kept up with it too much but I loved the worldbuilding and character interactions until it went full pandering mode.
>>
File: 20.jpg (207KB, 728x1045px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
207KB, 728x1045px
>>138959540
Well he's doing the filtering mentally because he can't talk to girls.
>>
>>138960184
read who I was quoting, we were talking about another series.

Also, update for volume 2 when? The translator loves to do batches rather than releasing them when they're done being translated.
>>
File: SE-1.jpg (113KB, 276x390px) Image search: [Google]
SE-1.jpg
113KB, 276x390px
That femMC are the best anon here. Reporting a list of what I've read that's for the most part good. Top 4 I recommend highly but the rest are still good

>Kumo Desu Ga
>Destruction Flag Otome
>Tensei Oujo
>The Girl Who Ate a Death God
Katahane no Riku
Kenkyo
Kuma Kuma KUMA KUMA KUMA
Jyashin Average
Bathroom Goddess
The Guild Cheat Receptionist (tl never ever)
Tilea's Worries
Yandere Otome
Stunning Edge
>>
>>138960398

here's from another thread
>>138955309
>>
>>138959628
yeah but I'm not a westaboo my motto for /a/ is "if you like the west so much why are you reading/watching a foreign medium?"

I like my Xianxia like I like my Chinese history in the Han Dynasty
>>
>>138960398
Manowa is another one. It got a new translator so it is getting semi-regular updates again.
>>
>>138960398
am I the only one that like Burriko

>tfw even the translator doesn't like it anymore
>>
Are there any fun, clever subversions of this sort of genre?
>>
Reincarnation is the same as "x'd by a exotic material" scene in the western comic book franchise.

More accurately similar to the WWII shooter crazy of the 2000s. Its a phase. At least in Japanese media, the phase changes every so often.
>>
>>138960545
The story itself is not westaboo. Shame though if that keeps you from it. I think the action and how the MC levels up is a lot more exciting then pretty much every other CN novel.
>>
>>138952709
ah yes, the non-stop market saturation of stories involving heroes that have reincarnated from a previous existence into a new vassel while still retaining memories from their previous form, how I tire of it.
>>
>>138960610
Katahane no Riku is basically fantasy school days

except replace Sekai with Guts
>>
>>138952709
Everyone has regrets in life, so it's an easy wish fulfillment. Or if it isn't, then it's a lesson about how even with the knowledge of a past life you still have the same hardship and trouble, that regrets are the price of life.

Reincarnation not being a thing in the West we have different tropes that cover the same ground.

Seriously, though, doesn't everyone wish they could do over parts of their life? If not, they are probably pretty young.
>>
>>138957784
>Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban
Just started it. Surprisingly funny. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>138960658
I hate the reincarnation thing but love that industry is returning to it's overpowered take-no-shit roots.
>>
>>138960607
I really liked Burriko when the MC gave no fucks, but then she became a lot more conscious about Jack or whatever his name is became really dominantly annoying and hes just hampering the MC most of the time

I actually hate Shoujo as a genre ironically enough, but fem MC usually don't fall into a lot of the pitfalls in other transported to another world series.
>>
>>138960801
I want the WNs to be translated already
>>
>>138960842
Aren't Raising the Dead doing a poll about translating? Why not submit it to that?
>>
>>138960811
but I liked the Jack of Hearts

all he wants to do is fuck his OP waifu
he's completely relatable

In fact I love all the characters even heroine Guevara
>>
外人様日本憂我喜嗚呼外人様速日本滅
>>
File: 1453944770094.jpg (229KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453944770094.jpg
229KB, 1600x1200px
>>138960743
>tfw the timeline got utterly fucked because rook either forgot or didn't want to save riku.
>>
>>138960955
pic related it's Riku
>>
外人様輪BD御川内癖似堂出藻井伊事御議論剃留。
>>
>>138960955
And to think this all happened since chapter fucking one.
>>
>>138957564
I wish this was the case but many of them have game mechanics or many allusions to the origin world. It's more like they wrote the plot for a jRPG and added that little bit at the beginning about them being from Japan.

>>138957824
>Yeah, I've noticed a lot of these "reincarnation" stories really have no need to involve reincarnation since it has zero bearing on the story
It's not uncommon for Western fiction to do the same thing (usually young adult stuff). They basically have barely any connection to the modern world and take place in a fantasy world, but starting the story off in some random American city makes it easier for kids to relate to the characters, even if ultimately the "real world" is barely relevant. This was super common with fantasy in the 80s, it's still around now.
>>
>>138960955
usual VN protag
usual LN protag
usual harem protag
usual female protag
usual Chinese protag

all of them would've saved Riku, "rescuing a maiden just because" is like rule #1 of being a hero. Especially ones with perverted intentions
>>
>>138960801
To be honest it's one of the series that I enjoy reading the most, because the recurring characters are great, but the new ones that get introduced never fail to deliver either. Plus it manages to be surprisingly deep at times.
>>
>>138960610
I'm not sure what you mean by subversions?

>>138960955
He's a casual faggot, totally deserves it, not just because he's a cunt or anything. But because he fucked up the timeline right in the beginning, and is surprised that things went off the tracks.
>>
外人様あぁぁぁあぁあぁあああぁぁぁ

あああああああああああ
どうかこの腐った国日本にもう一度原爆を
あああああああああああ
>>
>>138960743
If we also replace Makoto with Griffith, don't we basically get Berserk?
>>
>>138960743
That sounds fun as fuck.
>>
File: 41328727_p0.png (653KB, 640x904px) Image search: [Google]
41328727_p0.png
653KB, 640x904px
>>138960743
If you liked Riku, read the Girl Who Ate Death.

It's basically Beserk's Golden Days but with a death scythe wielding loli
>>
>>138961385
An "eternally hungry deathgod jeanne d' arc" as one anon put it. But she's not a loli, she's about 17.
>>
What's with Nips and their incomprehensible hatred of hats? I find their lack of hats in their shitty works disturbing.
>>
File: girlatedeathgod.jpg (94KB, 450x661px) Image search: [Google]
girlatedeathgod.jpg
94KB, 450x661px
>>138961479
She's described as really small, plus the official cover of her she looks like a loli (well we can't tell her actual height). Loli a bodytype, otherwise is Shinobu not a loli?
>>
>>138960071
>Mizukami Satoshi'
Thank, based anon.
>>
>>138961517
昨日初めてnipsが日本人を指す差別用語だって知りました。有難うございます。今度使ってみます。
>>
>>138961143
>>138960955
>>138960743
>Well, she didn't do much in the original story, and she isn't that pretty, so I guess there's no problem if I just let her die here
>OH NO WHAT THE FUCK THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WHY ARE THEY ALL DYING OH SHIT
The guy deserves every bad thing that happens to him
>>
>>138956870
oh shi- I stopped watching after awhile, but they had a rematch?!
>>
What are some examples of this genre done in a way that's not shit?
>>
>>138952709
They're literally the same shit as /gaia/ teir fanfiction.

I find it funny that /a/ gets such a boner for these and shits on korean webcomics for being "deviantart shit" when they're the same goddamn thing
>>
>>138961643
I still keep MT as a good series even though some will disagree

but if you are talking about reincarnation in general and not "reborn in a magical world" series then I guess Apollo Song and Spirit Circle are safe bets.
>>
>>138961643
If you didn't like Shield Hero and Mushoku Tensei, then I just guess this genre not for you. (Unless you liked them and are just looking for the nongeneric ones, I can probably draw up a short list)

You can perhaps give Tensei Oujo or My Deathflags show no sign of ending a try. If you like grinding or more action ala DBZ style, Xianxia a way to go. Otherwise I'd move on.
>>
ああああたあ

アメリカ人よ

日本を占領していろいろしてくださったのは感謝しているけどさぁ…

なんで英語を公用語にしなかったの?

これだけは無能ここに極まれりって感じですよ

(´Д`)ハァ…マイナークソ言語しか扱えない劣等感半端ないっすわ…
>>
>>138961719
Light novels are the same as /gaia/ tier fanfiction
Anime adapts light novels
Anime is ???

A lot of WN use Japanese tropes which is something that 99% of /a/ enjoys, so why are you surprised?
>>
>>138961820
Not enough OPM and manly goys like GTO.
>>
>>138953304
There was a movie where he's the reincarnation of Corean general who worked for Emperor of Qin, and he does some Indiana Jones shit to find the immortality pills or some shit.
>>
>>138952709
It's just a fad, just like selfinsert tsundere romucom stories were popular 10 years ago.
>>
File: 1435890504656.jpg (44KB, 313x328px) Image search: [Google]
1435890504656.jpg
44KB, 313x328px
>>138956934

ICE FUCKING COLD
>>
>>138955621
Ok I read your shitty manga
I stand by my earlier point Again!! and ore ga doutei are better than that chuuni manga
>>
>>138952709
Because Japan really likes that selfinsert shit, so it's easier to insert in a character with your same life that gets transported into an alternative world instead of a character with a totally different life from yours that lived in a different world or culture.
Also LN's are the preferred media for chuunies
>>
>>138962211
>OPMCs
>implying WNs aren't full of them
>>
>>138962541
I disagree

a good action manga will always be better than your teen angst shit
>>
>>138959797
>Isekei Meikyuu
>kissing girls, taking baths and eating fish in another world .

i feel like he should have dropped the harem bullshit and just stuck with the first 2 girls. maybe manned the fuck up with his dungeon grinding or been forced to stick with one build rather than magically reallocating all his points on the fly. It just gets really monotonous before any plot actually happens.
>>
>>138961751
>Shield Hero
Yes

>Mushoku

Eh.
>>
File: 1412718338953.png (10KB, 139x188px) Image search: [Google]
1412718338953.png
10KB, 139x188px
>>138953304

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_%28film%29

Here ya go friendo.
>>
>>138962674
I don't give a damn about the teen angst crap, how is he that different he's a middle schooler
I'm more interested in how things can be changed and how chaos affects everything
but for a start they are different beasts using different devices and construed within different worlds set to achieve different outcomes
both are naive in their own way
we could bring in different time travel constructs to really round out the discussion.
>>
>>138955397
Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken
>>
>>138962491
>Seo's next story
>Fuuka's reincarnation into a fantasy world
>>
>>138957096
>How does the fujoshi spider novel compare to MT in terms of writing quality?

shit gets real. people die. spider might as well be a honeybadger because she doesnt give a single fuck.
>>
File: 1447876277801.png (68KB, 226x247px) Image search: [Google]
1447876277801.png
68KB, 226x247px
>>138963054
>Please delete everything in my PC's hard drive

every time
>>
So many Lazy Dungeon Master updates today.
>>
>>138961643
It's barely a genre since half the time it has no impact on the story at all and the other half is just an excuse to have an overpowered MC appear in the middle of nowhere and crush everything in his path.
>>
>>138959540
>commushou
Is it in manga format?
I dislike reading the "incarnated into another world" stories as novels. I've done slime, overlord, MT, or maybe more, and they all get really hard to parse out pretty quickly.

If it not, but also not annoying to read can you give a link to where you read it?
>>
>>138960398
Eh...Tilea's Worries is largely trash. It's like C-grade 80's comedy anime in print form. It's cute here and there but relies entirely on MISUNDERSTANDINGs.
>>
>>138963942
https://watdameow.wordpress.com/project-1/
When in doubt, use novelupdates.
>>
>>138956870
it's a fairly prevalent enemy in Saike Mata Shite, at least the first part.
>>
>>138964089
>novelupdates
I don't think i've ever used that.
>>
>>138964229
I only discovered it recently. It's surprisingly useful for finding new series. Everything else is crap but you can rely on it always getting new series' info up.
>>
>>138960398
Which one is the most fun one?
>>
>>138955266

>got an update after charging it
>new homescreen only works if you turn on recommendations

They really try hard to get you to turn ads back on
>>
Is there a term for those scenes in LN/manga/any medium really where shit goes down without relying on action? Like those high stakes conferences that happened in Log Horizon and Overlord.
>>
>>138964458
I don't think they're prevalent enough to have their own name but that shit is my jam

Are there any series that do those particularly well?
>>
File: kumo.png (154KB, 417x375px) Image search: [Google]
kumo.png
154KB, 417x375px
>>138955656
>>
>>138957268
There's a webnovel that only got a few chapters translated where MC saved the day in fantasy world and then when getting sent back the goddess had to make a new body for him because his original body back in Japan would never be able to contain his basically demigod level hero powers.

The goddess was a ditz though and got distracted and ended up making a perfect looking female body for him instead. The caveat being that even though he looks like a girl and everyone think he's a girl, he's not and still has a dick and is flat chested otherwise. He has to make sure no one finds out he's a guy because apparently the world will then fix reality to really make him a girl with no memory of being his past self.

Also the Demon Queen he fought and killed reincarnated on Earth to seek him out and get in a relationship with him.

Too bad the translations only translated basically the first few chapters.
>>
File: 1384803664238.png (63KB, 830x900px) Image search: [Google]
1384803664238.png
63KB, 830x900px
>>138952709
>>138955758
>>138956860

The premise is interesting, the manga is actually pretty good and overall the story tricks you into thinking it's building up to something. Particularly after the fight with the King of the Mountain, when he loses an arm.

But no, Goburou will never actually be challenged and it's just a one-sided rapefest. Even when he loses an arm, he just gets a super-powered bionic arm two chapters later that's a million times better.

And while I'm no moralfag, there's something about the writing that makes me queasy. At first Goburou acts like he has a scrap of morals, mercy-killing the sex slaves and refusing to rape the captured girls...and less than a month later, he's raping women and turning them into sex slaves. What? It feels like the author was initially lying to himself about what sort of story he really wanted. I don't even mind a rapey protagonist--I like Rance to death--but if you really want us to like and sympathize with the crazed cannibal rapist, you need to actually put the work in.
>>
>>138961143
>>138961637
Yeah, the most stupid part about him is that he doesn't even think of letting Riku "die" as being at all to blame for any of his current problems.

Also does anyone think that Raku is up to something? I don't think she cares about Rook at all and just doesn't want him to die because she has plans involving using him.
>>
>>138964540
Way to be grateful to a guy saving the world, eh?
>>
>He has to make sure no one finds out he's a guy because apparently the world will then fix reality to really make him a girl with no memory of being his past self.

What a kick in the balls.
>>
>No reincarnation stories where the MC is actually reincarnated in the same world that he died

I would love to see a series where a NEET is reincarnated as a girl or something, just so he can see life in a different perspective.
>>
File: 1456813739998.jpg (612KB, 1500x900px) Image search: [Google]
1456813739998.jpg
612KB, 1500x900px
>>138964650
It is quite hard to write morally questionable characters with justifications. That's personally why I enjoy Kumo Desu ga so much. Hopefully Okina gets out of her slump soon.
>>
>>138959824
>I haven't read too many xianxia but only 2 of them that I can think of didn't have reincarnation.
Douluo Dalu, Against the Heavens, Tales of Demons and Gods; thats three xianxia novels out of the 4 (the non-reincarnation one of the best of the 4 though, that one is I shall seal the heavens) I'm reading right now that are reincarnation stories.
>>
>>138956453
You hit it on the head.

Let me go one step further and explain my dislike of AoT and Terraformars and other "survival" manga - they have retarded humans fucking up, but even when they don't, they create drama by introducing new arbitrary powers for the "zombies". You can almost see the back-and-forth as the Editor tries to poke holes in the setting

>why don't they just build walls?
>BECUZ A BIG TITAN COMES AND KICKS IT DOWN
>why don't they just shoot them? they're big targets.
>BECUZ ONLY DA NECK IS WEAK POINT
>blowing up the entire upper body would destroy the neck too
>NO IT HAS TO BE DA MAGICK SWORDZ
>but that just puts them in stupid amounts of danger, throwing away their only advantage
>ya humanity is fucked ;) pretty clever huh??
>>
File: img_0184.png (847KB, 1456x2046px) Image search: [Google]
img_0184.png
847KB, 1456x2046px
>>138964872
There are though? There's the elf martial artist reincarnation one where MC died and was reincarnated 30 years after his death but this time as an elf. He finds out after his death his daughter went on to become some hero.

There's the Goodbye Dragon Life one too. There's others as well but I'm forgetting the names.
>>
>>138964059
tilea was good until the misunderstandings stopped being misunderstandings and it became clear that the mc was actually suffering from severe brain damage. No you dumb bitch, throwing garlic doesnt instagib vampires, not in any fantasy setting.
>>
>>138964946
but that's a fantasy character reincarnating in a fantasy setting

What about just reincarnating in our normal world?
>>
>>138964872

Wasn't there some story with loli panties that was like that?
>>
>>138964976
mm there is this one story where the mc is from fantasy land, dies, reincarnates into regular world, then gets summoned back to fantasy land.... but thats just the premise, the story doesnt spend any time at all explaining her life in regular world.

I think the main problem with lns and wn is that these authors are mainly young kids/adults. They get a good idea here and there, and then they run it down into the ground because their real lives as hikki neets prevents them from having the real life experience an actual author might draw from to branch out and expand their stories.
>>
>>138964976
Well you didn't put that qualification in your first post. Also there are some of those too. I refuse to be conquered is Japanese guy dying and reincarnating as a Japanese girl and then making herself into basically her past self's ideal girl.
>>
>>138964899

It would be easy for Goburou to justify it as "This is what goblins do", or "strong make the rules" or...anything, really. He's the narrator. Instead he's just like...well, here's a quote.

>We drugged the captured women and put them in jail while the men will be put to work as slaves immediately.

>After that, I reported to Father Elf-san.

>If they could no longer restrain themselves and sought after the captured women, at that time I shall give them as a reward to individuals that had performed well.

>I replied when I was asked what will become of them. Father Elf-san said ‘not to force them against their will’, but to have your way without drugging them, what are you talking about?

>Since they are enemies, we should at least be allowed to drug them.

Mind you, he went out and ambushed these guys. They had no quarrel with him.

He also let his monstrous ogre bro practice sex via raping male elves, so that he wouldn't accidentally break his goblin waifu with his two-foot dick when he finally confessed.
>>
>>138965087
not finding anything called "I Refuse to be Conquered"
>>
>>138957564
That's how I felt while reading The Lazy King. Like, there's was never a real reason to make it into a reincarnation story or even use the skill mechanics shit as they had no real baring and the whole things could've just been pure high fantasy if you just ran the whole thing through the Word find/replace function to change the skill/reincarnation/etc. with standard fantasy terminology,
>>
>>138964944

Uh, they're not "arbitrary" powers if they're introduced in chapter 1. They're necessary elements for the story.

If things have to be a certain way in order for you to tell the story that you want, that's how it's gotta be. Don't let logic stop you. After all, if fiction was true to life, it would be non-fiction.
>>
>>138961479
She was severely malnourished throughout most of her life, so she pretty much looks like a loli.
>>
>>138965151
Oh it's Like Hell I'm going to get Captured, my mistake. I have no idea why the synopsis says it's a dating game when it's not one.
>>
>>138964995
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Joshi-Shougakusei-Hajimemashita/Ch-001-Read-Online?id=158188

Found it, but seems more like body switch or possession
>>
>>138965304
It's possession. The fairy thing found a soul to stick in the loli's body because the loli was going to die otherwise or something.
>>
>>138965232
He wrote an unwinnable situation, and then acts smug when his characters aren't able to win. Oh wow you're so good at coming up with DESPAIR mr. author-sensei, please invent a new tweest that will undermine everything the characters have accomplished!

It's insulting.
>>
>>138955146
how can you hate the art? I really like it.
>>
>>138965349

Guess I remembered wrong
>>
File: DRRRRR.png (313KB, 800x1174px) Image search: [Google]
DRRRRR.png
313KB, 800x1174px
>>138964944

Are you the kind of guy who reads "the Enigma of Amigara Fault" and goes "UGHH, what are the odds that there was a hole that perfectly fit him? And why would a guy turn into a monster just from walking through a hole? 0/10"

...Ignoring that if there was no hole, there would be no story. It'd be about a guy hiking through the woods, not a metaphor for people becoming monsters to escape their fear of monsters.
>>
>>138964506
I wouldn't say particularly well but I liked Konosuba's gatherings because the MC actually gained fame
>>
>>138957097
The Monomyth is a discredited piece of shit, no philologist today takes it seriously.
>>
>>138965351

>and then acts smug when his characters aren't able to win.

What?

>Oh wow you're so good at coming up with DESPAIR mr. author-sensei, please invent a new tweest that will undermine everything the characters have accomplished!

The whole story is about the essential question of whether or not you should stand and fight a hopeless battle. Or give up, and just try to live as long as you can. If there position wasn't so utterly hopeless, it would be an easy choice.

If the characters weren't so totally behind the 8-ball, so likely to get fucking eaten, the essential question the story is asking would lose its weight.
>>
File: 1441606549170.png (19KB, 344x135px) Image search: [Google]
1441606549170.png
19KB, 344x135px
>reading Death March
>MC loves big tits, but is cursed to be only liked by lolis
>Hero guy loves lolis, but is cursed to be only liked by useless meat

hehe
>>
>>138956870
LOL
>>
>>138957509
Did you even read the series? Their son was originally stillborn. That's like saying anyone who was ever adopted isn't allowed to be loved.

You're just being retarded at this point.
>>
>>138955917
Every one of the viewpoint reincarnation characters is a parody of the genre in some way, I think.
>>
File: 1432603429936.png (77KB, 468x198px) Image search: [Google]
1432603429936.png
77KB, 468x198px
>all these anons who bitch about MT but never bothered to read all of it.

You poor tortured souls.
>>
>>138965695
So their son would be stillborn, but since rudy's soul came through the baby survived?
>>
>>138965695
>raising an adopted child = unknowingly raising 40 year old fat virgin pedophile living inside your stillborn child's corpse

Are you for real though? Well I suppose you are the targeted audience.
>>
File: 1458644160985.jpg (360KB, 864x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1458644160985.jpg
360KB, 864x1600px
>>138955307
I feel ya.
>>
File: 1411683334610.jpg (268KB, 720x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1411683334610.jpg
268KB, 720x1024px
>>138965786
Read the fucking story.
>>
>>138955491
Manga kumo is great, LN Kumo is just too goofy.
>>
File: 1458599063856.jpg (1MB, 1480x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458599063856.jpg
1MB, 1480x1200px
>>138965713
Shun is a pathetic shit that doesn't deserve his harem.
>>
>>138958020
It's the #1 web novel by a wide margin. Unlike most other web novels, there aren't drastic changes like adding characters or changing entire arcs. Coupled with how it literally finished, there's nowhere near as much incentive to buy the LN version which has inferior art to the manga.

This is completely opposite of Overlord, which had drastic changes adding characters, revising the arcs, having a stand-out artist with a unique style, and the story wasn't even close to being finished in the web novel as far as we know.

If MT was as mediocre as you said, it wouldn't dominate web novel charts like it still does. It's like a mini One Piece.
>>
>>138965910
Is this guy how I can self insert into Kumo? His harem all look like drug addicts like the Dagashi girl. Not that I'm complaining because it's a nice look.
>>
>>138965953
How's shieldbro in popularity?
>>
>>138965994
Why the fuck would you want to self insert into any character in Kumo?
>>
>>138965953
MT is mediocre but it's popular mediocrity like most things.
>>
>>138966021
What's the point of reading reincarnation fantasy if you can't?
>>
I never got the whole "self-insert" meme. Nobody actively tries to self insert when they're reading a story right?
>>
>>138965953
Except it is not. Other web novels were #1 even when MT was still being serialized but popular Web Novels keep getting taken down once they get picked up by official publishers like AlphaPolis who pretty much shut down a web novel once they pick up the author.
>>
>>138965814
Considering your parents raised you with no complaints I don't see why you're being such a hypocrite.
>>
>>138966104
One Piece didn't stay #1 on rankings either, but it still managed in the long run, and not every publisher is like AlphaPolis being giant jews.
>>
>>138964953
I kinda stopped liking Tilea the moment the vampire invasion started, there's only so much I can take before getting out.
>>
>>138965814

You don't seem to understand the point of reincarnation. Like you are fundamentally broken in the head and can't accept a foreign concept. I can already see how hard it was to teach you something like calculus.
>>
>>138966111
I'm 99% they'd have aborted me if they could see me now.
>>
>>138966162
Most publishers are. MT was just one of the few web novels that weren't forced to take their page down.

And your One Piece comparison is fucking horrible. Popular manga can stay active for years.

Popular web novels on the other hand can get 404ed one day once a publisher picks them up.
>>
>>138966037

Yes because select anons on a hungarian picture board have the qualifications to objectify which series are mediocre.
>>
Why are voyeur lesbian-filled slice of life for people who are too insecure to see male characters so popular in Japan? All of them have the same basic jokes and plots.
>>
File: 81n-Fmokb1L.jpg (421KB, 2560x1399px) Image search: [Google]
81n-Fmokb1L.jpg
421KB, 2560x1399px
>>138961479
She's skinny as shit because she was a sickly thing from a poor farming village where if you don't work you don't get to eat, and I'd really compare her more to Big Boss from MSG what with the effect she has on her troops and people that fight in general.
>>
>>138966272
>Yes because select anons on a hungarian picture board have the qualifications to objectify which series are mediocre.
Yes? Do you not know what personal opinion is.
>>
>>138966214
All reincarnation where your memories remain is inherently shitty you imbecile.

Christ, these threads get out of hand when they attract people who unironically like the genre.
>>
>>138966220
Only if they are as big a failure as human beings as you are, but I'm optimistic that isn't the case and they would just realize they had to do better. Kinda like how reincarnation works.
>>
>>138956399
>anime where truck goes around granting everyone's inner most desires by running them over.
>>
>>138966328
I doubt any person would go to an orphanage after their baby died and pick out the 40 year old achondroplastic dwarf janitor because he's a "fix er' upper"
>>
>>138965994
He's a useless piece of shit that does nothing worth the attention he's getting from his harem.
>>
>>138966302
A personal opinion that's a blanket statement without any sort of supporting statements is usually interpreted as ignorant and narrow minded, kinda like this guy here >>138966314

Or do you want people to post one liners like "This sucks" or "This is awesome"? The difference between such lines and the ones given here is like the difference between an 7 year old and a 12 year old. Still under age.

We have images and memes for that kind of thing if you want to actually discuss.
>>
File: 1456813632069.jpg (39KB, 548x580px) Image search: [Google]
1456813632069.jpg
39KB, 548x580px
>>138966069
Because the plot is well created and the characters are interesting?

>>138965910
Shun is forcibly made into a pathetic shit. There really isn't a riencarnator who hasn't been fucked with in Kumo Desu ga.
>>
>>138966467
Isn't it about time for your LARPing meetup?
>>
File: cat suprised.png (216KB, 729x571px) Image search: [Google]
cat suprised.png
216KB, 729x571px
>>138966473
>reincarnation fantasy
>plot is well created and the characters are interesting
>>
>>138966473
I think the adventurer couple is pretty good aren't they? I mean other than getting moved to the elf village relatively recently they got reincarnated and got to grow up together and even got to adventure together. D was pretty nice to them.
>>
>>138966422
They would if the dwarf had the exact same body as their baby.

Are you seriously fucking retarded and still trying to argue? Have you never read history before? There was literally an emperor who accidentally killed a concubine, then later on found a boy, and the only thing in common was they had a birth mark behind their ear.

That emperor raised the boy lovingly and spoiled his ass because he believed in reincarnation. This is real fucking history, not your retarded straw man logic.

Arguing that it can't happen in a fucking fantasy world with much more convenient circumstances is just proof you're practically nazi/puritan/isis tier with how narrow minded you are.
>>
>>138966548
I know, Kumo desu ga was surprising. If if the series had originally been proofread, it would probably be a lot more popular than it is.
>>
>>138966493
You're trying too hard to cover your gaping asshole.
>>
What reincarnation/transportation stories are there where the main character is actually a fish out of water in his/her new world and has to struggle to learn how to survive in their new situation?
>>
>>138966467
>personal opinion that's a blanket statement without any sort of supporting statements is usually interpreted as ignorant and narrow minded
It not being explained doesn't make it any less valid of a personal opinion. Whether it's a blanket statement or not is irrelevant, because bitching at someone for not writing an essay on the reasons behind his opinion when he is pretty obviously not interested in discussing anything in the first place is even less productive to holding a proper discussion than making ignorant blanket statements.
>>
>>138966586
I'm really disturbed by the lengths you're going to defend this drivel. How can you compare raising a child because he looks similar to some girl, to raising a child whose body is secretly inhabited by a degenerate loser older than both you and your wife?

You're using historical happenings as a source to defend a Japanese fantasy web novel about some fatass living it up in a stillborn baby's body. Do you even know how to use the phrase "straw man"?
You even called me a nazi because I think masquerading as someone's child that died during birth is a pretty uncool thing. This is really surreal dude.
>>
>>138966702
Muv-Luv Alternative
>>
>>138966577
As long as elf hitler doesn't decide to do some more stupid shit.
>>
>>138966702
Grimgar
>>
>>138965910
Any other illustrations of the characters, and names? Red hair is probably the gender bender, and the blue hair is imouto.

Not sure who the other guy is, and I'm guessing the loli is sensei. Although I didn't know she was that smug.
>>
File: 1354927457999.jpg (334KB, 1098x765px) Image search: [Google]
1354927457999.jpg
334KB, 1098x765px
>>138966786
I'm seconding this.

MLA is probably the best transported to another world series. Although you have to go through Extra, which some people find a chore (I personally didn't mind it as much.)
>>
File: Mad Dog a cute.jpg (553KB, 721x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Dog a cute.jpg
553KB, 721x1024px
>>138965953
>has inferior art to the manga.
Man, you have some shit taste.
>>
File: 01.jpg (569KB, 872x1400px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
569KB, 872x1400px
>>138966851
The guy on the left is probably the ded big bro, and sadly this is about all I have. We should get more once the next volume comes out.
>>
>>138966577
True, they did get to live a life (although the elves were still bastards to them). I'd put them in the same place as Sophia, who after some initial trauma got a good life.
>>
File: 5 (2).jpg (226KB, 1456x1056px) Image search: [Google]
5 (2).jpg
226KB, 1456x1056px
>>138966962
I want a collector's edition where he keeps the gross body in all the pictures.

It'll be like a game to see how far you can suspend your disbelief.
>>
File: nisemonogatari3.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nisemonogatari3.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>138966782
>>
>>138966851
>>138966964
Left is Julius, he has the white spider scarf. Loli elf is of course Oka, did you guys forget how she acted when she noticed Katia crushing on Shun? Red is Katia and Blue is Sue. And of course the retard in the middle is Shun.
>>
>>138952709
I like these types of stories. I like to watch the overpowered MC crush enemies with overwhelming power, or toy with his opponents by always plotting 10 steps ahead of their opponent. And going by it's popularity, I am not alone.
>>
>>138967142
Is it me or does Tsukihi's hairstyle here make her way hotter?
>>
>>138966702
Aselia the Eternal.
Admittedly, most of the "struggle to learn how to survive" comes not from him being in an unfamiliar situation and more because he was summoned to be the kingdom's war slave.
>>
>>138966958

I swear, one day I will push through Extra.

It starts out so generic dogshit though. I want to die every time I boot it up.
>>
>>138966702
Kumo Desu Ga.
>>
>>138967295

I like watching MC's kick ass too. But how is satisfying to see the heroes win when they're 10x as strong as the villains and they're never in any danger? It's fine in, say, One Punch-Man, where the focus of the story isn't on the hero overcoming his enemies.

Cheating up a level 99 character on your first runthrough of a game is way less interesting than playing it through as a level 1. I don't understand people who think otherwise.
>>
>>138966786
>>138966958
Apparently the manga translation isn't complete and the anime are just spinoffs? What's the estimated release date for the games in English?

>>138967405
Is the gameplay good?

>>138966847
I actually hadn't been paying attention to that, guess I'll have to catch up with the anime.

>>138967610
nai wa
>>
>>138967405
Well plus his sword wants to consume him.
>>
>>138967405
>>138967838
>Is the gameplay good?

It's OK, but it's no Sengoku Rance. It also has a really tedious boss fight/final level.

I completed it once but didn't feel like playing it again.
>>
>>138967833
The satisfaction of watching the villain shit his pants in horror and go 'ba-baka na! ' as he realises how fucked he is? It is hard to describe, but it is what makes stuff like Overlord so satisfying.
>>
>>138967610
Kumo is boring shit.
>>
Probable because life after school in japan is suicide-tier.
>>
>>138965910
Should i care that Katia is a guy in her past life?
>>
>>138968605
No.
>>
>>138965597
the underlying theme of death march is that the gods and goddesses summon japanese people to their world specifically to fuck with them. all the demon lords use to be regular japanese kids. the super powers they get are some how used against them in monkey-claw style false wishfullfillment
>>
File: 333-keyboard-break.png (121KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
333-keyboard-break.png
121KB, 500x500px
>>138958115
>It got an official english translation (that's behind the fan one too and behind a coin-based paywall).
Is that why they haven't updated in forever? I miss that series so much.
>>
>>138956098
Only so bad that the LN writing is like a nice Christmas sock filled with shit.
>>
>>138966389
So paranoia agent?
>>
File: P194.png (2MB, 1485x2151px) Image search: [Google]
P194.png
2MB, 1485x2151px
>>138969949
>Reading a light novel

I found your problem.
>>
>>138970130
I read everything.
I'm actually hard to displease.
I read stuff on RoyalRoad, for fuck's sake.

But The New Gate is goddamn horrible. The battle description are like reading a DragonBall Z fight.
Then I got stronger, then HE got stronger! Then I released the first of my 238 limiters... and so on. It's actually impressive in its own right.
>>
File: 13 (2).jpg (145KB, 728x1031px) Image search: [Google]
13 (2).jpg
145KB, 728x1031px
>>138970417
The manga probably fixes a lot of the, however he still spouts one liners during the fights. I'll admit the limiter bullshit is argrivating.
>you think he actually meets an enemy that's a match for him
>nah bro he was using noob equipment remember?
>>
Speaking of Reincarnation Stories,
The one that I find enjoyable is
My Disiciple died yet again

MC keeps dying and getting reborn as random stuff. a baby, a man, a dragon, a rock.

His teacher is a 10000 year old virgin which makes him what? a supreme wizard?
>>
>>138971163
By the time you're 10,000 isn't it a statistical anomaly to be a virgin? I mean at some point you've lived enough years where the chances of a girl tripping into a Rube Goldberg sequence where she lands atop your erect penis would reach 99.999%.
>>
>>138952709
Its an easy way to abandon your neet life for greatness without any kind of negative repercussions.
>>
>>138971163
That sounds hilarious. Let me guess, the last reincarnation he turns into a hot chick and fucks the super virgin sensei.
>>
Besides directly going to syosetsu, is there any way to filter chinese web novels from Novelupdates? I already filtered xianxia and wuxia, but still lots of chinese stuff are getting through.
>>
>>138971590
Tick the japanese option, it filters the rest.
>>
>>138971549
Nah, MC started as girl,
2nd time she reincarnated into handsome guy.
Tells everyone her name is master Soi Sauze
goes to mess with childhood friend who promised to marry her.
Guy is shocked, but after a week, he says yes
>>
>>138952709
Wish someone would translate Gensousaiki Allusionist/Sono Mugen no Saki e.
Esp Gensousaiki,it deserves a better translation than some MTL crap.
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n9073ca/
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n6811ck/
>>
For the reincarnated as the villainess are their any more stories where the bad end happens at the start of the game?

Like in Common Sense of the Duke's Daughter.

I like it where she gives up on the Prince and works hard and doesn't need the Prince.
Plus the reactions of people who fucked her over in the past
>>
>>138972248
>Otome gamer girl
>Reincarnates
>Doesn't acquire dozens of dicks
Like, why bother?
>>
>Complaining about reincarnation / other word stories
>Not complaining about RPG Hero / Demon Lord settings

I'm really fucking tired of that shit. Actually, fuck video game inspired settings completely.
>>
>>138971726
Can't find this option, Capt'n.
>>
>>138962389
Was that the one where the main chick leaves him in the end and dies in some zero gravity cave
>>
>>138965513
People in academia these days all think they wuz kangs.
I'd take their assessment with a bag of salt.
>>
>>138953177

What's this place you speak of?
>>
>>138956399
mushoku tensei?

>>138959235
>>138957854
I'm retarded and don't know how to use the google image search properly
>>
>>138973181
Yes
>>
>>138966964
Is this Ronant?
>>
File: 1408891100164.jpg (135KB, 736x550px) Image search: [Google]
1408891100164.jpg
135KB, 736x550px
>>138957854
>>138958775
I can't anon, could you maybe point it out? Transfer station 7 only returns french
>>
>>138974075
https://www.yandex.com/images/search?rpt=imageview&img_url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.4cdn.org%2Fa%2F1458667952383.png
>>
>>138974075
Click the fucking korean link and check for a page with the name of the series you dumb nigger.
>>
File: 1408876753127.jpg (310KB, 823x656px) Image search: [Google]
1408876753127.jpg
310KB, 823x656px
>>138974527
What korean link?
>>
File: 1444413044996.jpg (323KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1444413044996.jpg
323KB, 1000x700px
>>138973917
No that's from old badass mage becomes a loli series.
>>
>>138974614
>search image on google
>korean results
>click on every one of them until you find pages of the manga
>search for the pages containing the title of the series (generally written in kana and kanji)
>you can even search the diferent pages you find to get different results

Holy fucking shit how do you even find anything if you can't even think of something as simple as this.
>>
File: 43729608_p1.jpg (426KB, 1185x987px) Image search: [Google]
43729608_p1.jpg
426KB, 1185x987px
>>138972499
>>
>>138974810
I want to commit a crime
>>
File: 1434271759821.jpg (382KB, 2036x900px) Image search: [Google]
1434271759821.jpg
382KB, 2036x900px
>>138974983
Summoner Mage main character is pretty rare.
>>
>>138975047
I know what it is. I'm all caught up. I still want to violate those armpits.
>>
File: 1449955867397.jpg (1MB, 1548x665px) Image search: [Google]
1449955867397.jpg
1MB, 1548x665px
>>138975086
Oh I thought you were complaining about a badass old mage getting replaced with a loli.
>>
>>138966702
Transportation stories have more struggle.

Reincarnation stories barely have any struggle.

Kuro no Maou is a transportation story.

Ochitekita Ryuuou to Horobiyuku Majo no Kuni is another.

I would have stated Seiun wo Kakeru but the author ended up making the MC in Kakeru too much of a Gary Stu.

It isn't even a blacksmith story anymore.

Might as well have made the MC a Civil Works Engineer or an Army Corps Engineer in the first place when a mere blacksmith shouldn't be suddenly providing the instructions for boat making and irrigation shit.
>>
>>138974925
Reminder that she's going to get killed
>>
File: granblue.jpg (807KB, 1028x1500px) Image search: [Google]
granblue.jpg
807KB, 1028x1500px
>>138975179

Sounds like that mobile game loli alchemist
>>
Is there a story where MC is transported into a futuristic/cyberpunk world instead of the usual fantasy? Maybe even cyberpunk fantasy like Shadowrun?
>>
>>138975179
>>138975047
If only the story tried to explore (his) her sexuality or something.
>>
>>138964337
Destruction flag Otome is pretty fun. I devoured the first volume in one night.
>>
>>138955656
You have a source for reading any of the manga?
All i can find is Mangafox shit.
>>
Looking at reading girl who ate a death god, should I be reading the WN or LN?
is there a major difference?
>>
>>138975819
Cyberpunk genre revival when? Do we need a meteor to come close to hitting Earth for media to go full apocalypto like in the late 90s?
>>
File: dead.jpg (415KB, 517x600px) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
415KB, 517x600px
>>138975308
Why didn't you save her anon?
>>
>>138976514

Pretty sure batoto has it
>>
>>138976908

There are a few decent cyberpunk anime, it seems like the genre is more alive in japan than the west
>>
>>138977089
Sweet, thanks.
>>
I don't how you guys even manage to stomach LN trash.

I gave up on them ages ago.
>>
>>138977640

I only recently started to read a few so I'm not tired of it yet, however I can already see some trends going on.
>>
>>138953646
People like Mushoku Tensei? All I remember is people making fun of it as the prime example of wish fulfillment and power creep.
>>
File: 1458651481148.png (1MB, 1600x864px) Image search: [Google]
1458651481148.png
1MB, 1600x864px
>>138977640
You should lurk more anon. Try this.
>>
>>138977934
I mean, there's probably something good that I'd like, but it is like diving in a pool of piss to find that small shining gold.
>>
>>138977640
Especially those that read MTs.

I'm mainly sticking around to help practice my Japanese.

But for those who like MTs just read VNs or some shit
>>
>>138952709
Are there any stories where the other reincarnated world is just a dream mumbojumbo thing?
Previously pathetic MCs discovered that they're not quite dead, got back to their previous lives and prevailed with their newfound resolve and experience from the other world?

I would love to read a story where MC got their shit together, fix whatever they left behind, and becomes a better person overall instead of relying in OP superpowers in some fantasy world
>>
>>138977934
is that the one where the MC's entire family is poisoned?
>>
File: The Girl Who Ate Death.png (2MB, 1254x1771px) Image search: [Google]
The Girl Who Ate Death.png
2MB, 1254x1771px
>>138976738
Isn't the only version being translated the WN?
>>
>>138978008
Are you seriously going to act like that's not how every type of media is? Everything is a ton of mediocre or average stories at best with only a few stand outs.
>>
>>138978278
Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting, the LN link was actually to purchase the original version
My bad.
>>
>>138978278

Looks like noone bothered to make an ebook yet, is it worth the effort to make one myself?
>>
>>138978371
You mean with the translated chapters? I wouldn't waste the time I mean there's only 37 chapters and we have 21 I think now translated. Might as well wait for it to be complete.
>>
>>138977913
>do people like something that had a billion generals
Are you for real?
>>
>>138978541

Gonna read the others first then, that destruction flag one at least has a full volume
>>
>>138977913
But it makes fun of wish fulfillment and power creep. Also /a/ was translating it and drumming up interest in translating it for 2-3 volumes.
>>
>>138977913
/a/ for some reason likes it more than Rance
>>
>At the very least, it would have been a better choice to become a mangaka and started publishing terrible web comics, or to become a web novelist and started posting novels.
>Many people who shared similar circumstances did something like that.
>I made fun of and slighted those people.
>Mocking their creations, thinking myself as a critic, saying things like "It's worse than shit", criticizing them.
>Even though I did nothing at all......

Not very subtle
>>
>>138978855
It doesn't at all. Konosuba does that, and even that's a loving parody.
MT is pure wish-fulfillment no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>138977640
Well there are quite a few good anime who's source material are LN

>Kino
>Baccano
>KKN
>Jinrui
>Spice and Wolf

but you're probably talking about WNs. For those I've long since stopped reading ones with male MCs
>>
>>138979209
I guess some people just can't see it without a crying statue of liberty.

>>138979606
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
>>
>>138977913
MC isn't even close to the strongest character in the series

without his power armor he's just a squishy wizard. Any of the seven powers can easily kick his ass as well as anyone of the immortal race

he reminds me of one quote Snape said about Harry Potter

>He relies on pure luck and more talented friends
>>
>>138979151
It also makes no logical sense that you must be a creator to critique a creation. It's not as if every product reviewer who has ever existed must also at one point have been deeply involved in the industry that they are critics of.

That's like saying that you yourself must have cooked that specific food dish in order to say if it's good or bad.
>>
>>138979811

Many artists seem to be unable to take any critique for some reason
>>
>>138979963
Sometimes it's lack of confidence. Other times it's shitposting just weighing them down.

I mean you gotta understand that "kill yourself" is probably not a constructive criticism.
>>
>>138979719
Wish fulfillment crap =/= being the strongest
>>
>>138980086

I wouldn't classify "kill yourself" comments as critique
>>
>>138980158
but most people on the internet do
so you get why people are so jaded
>>
>>138966702
Almost all transportation stories have that.
>>
File: 14 (4).jpg (178KB, 728x1053px) Image search: [Google]
14 (4).jpg
178KB, 728x1053px
Honestly. If a NEET/loser/salaryman gets transported to a fantasy world it's automatically wish fulfillment self-insert. The only thing that could negate that shit is a completely horrible existence that await them (as one would realistically expect)

I would never want to be in the Re:Zero guy's shoes no matter how many elves I got to romance.
>>
>>138980138
yeah but you also talked about power creep. His power armor is OP but he needs prep time to prepare it so if you put anti-magic shit around him you easily render him useless.
>>
>>138979606
I tend to hate on LNs a lot because there's so many aspects to them that I dislike, but even I can admit that it's silly to hate on an entire medium.

Though the one thing that really annoys me is how they all seem to be written in first person. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but the voice tends to be really irritating in that style. I loved the Jinrui anime and the mediator character, but she comes off so much whinier in the book.
>>
>>138980286
They are light novels, meaning they won't have too complex vocabulary/descriptions/kanji

so writing in first person is easier since normal people won't usually talk in complex vocabulary.
>>
>>138965597
>liking death march
Sure, the start was good, but it became trash when the MC could literally solve everything with ease.
>>
File: 24 (1).jpg (161KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
24 (1).jpg
161KB, 702x1024px
>>138980280
I'm not the same guy but the MT guy is powerful from birth/body theft.
>>
>>138980436
That's all of them.
>>
>>138980467
>has loads of magic power
>can't use it due to anti-magic hax

it's like Miroku or Robin
powerful but
>>
>>138980611
The deciding factor is the ability to asspull stuff when their waifu is 3 millimeters away to losing their hymen to a dragon.
>>
>>138980674
but it was Eris that saved Rudi from getting his hymen torn by a dragon

I mean Rudi never actually saved any of his wives, hell he almost let one of his wives die. Twice
>>
>>138978855
MT is pure wish fulfillment.

The author even got burthurt when no one else liked him writing how a 10 year old impregnated his 30 plus year old aunt.

He even made up a poor excuse how the site deleted his entry when that never happened to anyone on the web novel site before and when the comments asked for proof, he refused to show the email or screencap.

MT's author is a shameless hack. It is time for you to stop denying it.
>>
>>138980895
Yeah I'm pretty sure they give a warning first before they delete anything. Commushou(I think I spelled that wrong) author had to change the whole tit sucking thing in the webnovel and to remove some of the other more extreme stuff since he didn't want to move the series to nocturne.
>>
>>138980436
Satou was always able to solve everything with ease though so I have no idea what you mean?
>>
>>138981063
I still find it funny that Highschool DxD's editor cut boob-sucking powerups but greenlit a series where the MC's explicit dream is to lose his virginity.

Like this is fucking commercial blueballing.
>>
>>138981118
Well for Commushou, the author said nothing would be changing for the LN version, only the WN will be toned down and there's some damn extreme stuff that happens later. Like his mom and little sister are part of his harem extreme. Or having sex with a granny who took a potion to reduce her age back to teens. Well he's had sex with quite a few people from what I read anyway there's lots of risky stuff there. He really should have just moved it to nocturne.
>>
>>138981198
That's a shame. Greatest tragedy of MT is that catgirls aren't fucked.
>>
File: atelier-tanaka.jpg (80KB, 350x498px) Image search: [Google]
atelier-tanaka.jpg
80KB, 350x498px
I'm surprise no one has mentioned Tanaka the Wizard
>>
>>138981324
Because no TLs for weeks now.
>>
MT is wish fulfillment insofar that he has a harem, wealth, and status

but compared to other OPMCs like Rou, Tatsuya, Kirito, Ainz, etc. Rudi is kinda a jobber.

hell even compared to other characters in the series like Orsted and Eris
>>
>>138981198
That's extreme?

I thought that kind of stuff was pretty standard in web novels.
>>
>>138981476
The story was pretty explicit with the text too. It didn't just skip over it. Also people don't always mention if the series is from the main listing or from nocturne or moonlight which are the r18+ sites.
>>
>>138981434
There must be some group who would pick this up
>>
There's actually a few gems out there.
One would be this elf with the ability to summon any of his past lives. Originally a magician who wanted to research magic beyond death, he reincarnated so many times that he lost his will to live.
Interesting premise, but it could go to shit any moment.
>>
>>138981438
The author focuses too much on incest in MT, though.

He has an obsession with making Rudi's children fuck their relatives.
>>
>>138981796
Shame Rudi didn't even fuck his half-sister.
>>
>>138958750
>Man picked up by the gods
I enjoy him being misinterpreted by everyone way too much

also I am in the same boat my friend, I've been using Aho-updates to keep track of a good amount and been picking through RRL for good reads.
>>
>>138981796
Is Rudi getting NTR'd by his kids?

I stopped reading somewhere shortly before Rudi went off to go rescue his mom.
>>
>>138958750

Having a Kindle helped me get back into reading thanks to how easy it is to take it with me at all times.
>>
>>138956335
Rustle draws girls with boobs?
>>
File: twain.jpg (129KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
twain.jpg
129KB, 260x400px
Lots of these feel like modern versions of pic related
>>
>>138981796
It's only Aisha to his son. Totally no birth defects even if they have kids.
>>
>>138956335
It hurts how accurate you are.
Except I only read girl dies and ends up in a girls body and romances some handsome guy.

kenyo kenjitsu
Katahane no Riku
An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku

are the best ones, that last one especially, made me cry several times. Not worth reading after the wedding though.
>>
>>138956530
Sauce.
>>
>>138964871
That's a villainous origin story if I've ever heard one

>"Why are you trying to destroy the world?!"
>"I can't tell you, but it's a pretty good reason."
>>
>>138983111
>An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku
>Not worth reading after the wedding though.
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking of this.
>>
>>138957691
I know that series, 4 cut hero.

I loved it but unfortunately it was dropped because the original korean site decided to "translate" it themselves. They charge like 5 dollars a chapter or something too I think.
>>
>>138972248
Haunted Duke’s Daughter is kind of like that.
>>
>>138983717
Except the lady herself isn't reincarnated or anything but hears a voice in her head.
>>
>>138959989
New chapter came out today.
>>
>>138963102
It's not just one Fuuka. Both the current Fuuka and all those who will appear after her will be hit by truck-kun and make an army of Fuukas in other world.
>>
>>138979719
>He relies on pure luck and more talented friends
That's exactly the problem. His armor is literally the plot armor which pisses people off because everything always go his way and there're always OP people who protect his ass for apparently no reason at all. When a MC's life is completely easy due to sheer plot armor, we call it a wish fulfillment series.
>>
>>138983100
>Totally no birth defects even if they have kids
That's not what people have problem with.
>>
>>138983100
His daughter got paired up with her elf manlet cousin and both share the same grandmother.
>>
>>138986192
Cousins are pretty safe marriage partners. Second or third cousin is better, but just a cousin is still acceptable if it doesn't repeat over generations. Heck, even direct sibling incest doesn't carry much more danger of genetic defects than normal for the first two generations.
>>
>>138986192
You're wrong. his daughter got paired up with his wive's step-Uncle.
>>
>>138985172
Friendship power(in this case) is not plot armor.He is not awakening a power hidden in his right arm or some shit when his friends are in dangers, his friendship power is way more realistic than any shounen like Bleach or Fairy tail.
Thread posts: 505
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.