[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When A Thriller Is Thrilling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

File: Gaku_Yashiro.png (415KB, 1110x816px) Image search: [Google]
Gaku_Yashiro.png
415KB, 1110x816px
I keep finding people who defend Erased as a great thriller instead of a mystery story and that it is great for what it’s trying to achieve. My question to these people is what makes a thriller thrilling?

If we stick to presentation, it’s a combination of eerie music, dark colors, and worried characters. Yet, saying it gave you feels is not enough by itself. There needs to be well handled tension within the actual story.

What counts as well handled? Anything that doesn’t involve any of these plot devises.
TIME SKIP / TRAVEL / RESET
AMNESIA – BRAIN WASHING
FAKE DEATHS – RESSURECTIONS
HIDDEN ABILITIES – SUDDEN POWER UPS
PLOT ARMOR – OVERPOWERED
DESTINY – PROGRAMING
Many say that you shouldn’t pay attention to them and just focus on the characters, which is bullshit because they are killing tension by destroying consistency, continuity, and reasoning.

Most will say that simply not knowing what will happen next is enough to make something thrilling. But if that is all it takes, then any random ideas mashed together is enough. No effort is required.

So, what is a good thriller? It’s pretty much like a good mystery. It needs foreshadowing, misdirection, tension, to look eerie, and above all to make sense when the answers are finally given.
>>
wew lad
>>
dial back the autism a little bit, champ
>>
>>138937789
>>138937858
Samefag
>>
>Copying and pasting what TAS said word for word.
>>
>>138937928
>Samefag
>2 new ips showed up with those posts
fuck off OP you autistic faggot.
your bait is shit
>>
File: wowow.png (138KB, 924x323px) Image search: [Google]
wowow.png
138KB, 924x323px
why can't we discuss anime on /a/ anymore?
>>
File: Ito - human drama.png (585KB, 1194x326px) Image search: [Google]
Ito - human drama.png
585KB, 1194x326px
>>138937686
I don't think it's a particularly great story overall; it drops the ball pretty hard in the final act, with none of the villains actions or this coma thing making sense. Where it succeeded is in building a really great relationship between Kayo and Satoru, making you really care when Kayo is in danger. This is where the tension has to come from; you really start to worry when the cute girl is in peril. That's what I'll really remember this story for; not for the serial killing time traveling shenanigans, but for it's treatment of this relationship.

So, it's not the most well-written thing in it's genre. But I think it has plenty of great moments that make it worth the watch.
>>
>>138938147
Waifus are more important.
>>
>>138939178
Huh, thanks anon, that was rather helpful.
>>
i knew this guy was the killer the exact moment he appeared in the intro for episode 2. great fucking thriller japan
>>
How many threads do people need...
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-10+at+11.55.57).jpg (100KB, 1313x783px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-10+at+11.55.57).jpg
100KB, 1313x783px
>>138937686
how is it a mystery? you know it's the teacher from the start.
>>
>>138937686
I agree. This show was pretty bad.
>>
>>138941132
I laughed out loud when he made this face

>hahaa I am evil now!

This is show started out good but it has developed into a comedy now.
>>
>>138939178
>Where it succeeded is in building a really great relationship between Kayo and Satoru, making you really care when Kayo is in danger. This is where the tension has to come from; you really start to worry when the cute girl is in peril.

But Kayo's a complete shallow character whose actions contradict each other to suit the plot when needed like when she hides in that bus with little convincing, and the supposed sympathy is completely gained through victimization of the character rather than choices and actions that demonstrate characterization.
>>
>>138941132
the red eye flashes work much better in the black and white medium of the manga dont they
in the show it just flat out spoils the whole thing
>>
>>138941469

No, it doesn't work because there's only one viable suspect, meaning it's a problem in the writing. Basic knowledge of the rules of mystery should've prevented that.
>>
>>138941559
with B&W you can just drop it and pretend its an inking/drawing mistake something you wouldn't notice till a more careful reading of the books, in the show however, its crimson red and it stands out
they tried to make it look like its just killing intention with satoru showing it when he wanted kayo's mom out, but with just the killer and the MC having it, its really hard to mask it out when you show the fucking teacher having them during a "normal" scene
>>
>>138941728
>with just the killer and the MC having it

Other characters also had it to serve as red herrings, but they fell completely flat. No one would put that hack, Tomohiko, in charge of subtlety.
>>
File: 1418358679648.png (893KB, 753x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1418358679648.png
893KB, 753x1080px
>>138941817
>okay maybe we made the killer too obvious
>let's give everyone red eyes

kill me
>>
>>138941947
What do you do when you make your killer too obvious anyway?
Change killers?
Make the MC the killer all along?
Make the love interest the killer?
Do a Shamadingadong and make the trees the killers?
>>
>>138942127
>Do a Shamadingadong and make the trees the killers?
>Not making the killer right all along, and making the victims actually evil aliens. Satoru was actually aliens all along too, but had memory loss
>>
>>138942270
what a twist
>>
>>138937686
>Memento
>not a great thriller because Amnesia
>>
>>138942330

That was central part of its narrative and actually explored. It's not a cheap tool like in Erased.
>>
>>138942127
Don't fuck up by droping incredibly obvious hints and try to create other suspects in the mind of the reader.
But that implies being a good writer.
>>
>>138942330
>comparing this to the masterpiece that is Memento
Kill yourself.
>>
>>138942457
You already fucked up early by making the killer obvious, but how do you save it?
>>
>>138942531

By making him as generic a psychopath as you can.
>>
>google a couple lines from OP assuming it's some shitty reddit copy/paste like 90% of Boku Dake threads
>it isn't
Wow I'm impressed you actually typed this troll post up just for us, OP. You don't see this kind of dedication very much anymore.
>>
>>138942531
Then it's too late, you wrote yourself in a corner.
And no, pretending you were writing a thriller instead of a mystery doesn't work.
>>
>>138942531
It's aggravating when it's super easy for the audience to figure something out and we have to watch the characters plod along completely oblivious. It makes them seem stupid. I practically wanted sensei to drown Satoru because of how sick I was of his stupid ass not being able to put 2 and 2 together.

The worst part is how the author tried to explain it as "muh biases," but it just makes Satoru look like the most gullible idiot ever.
>>
>>138942750
Doesn't help than Satoru is supposed to have the mind of a 29 years old, yet a 10 years old like Kenya seems smarter than him.
>>
>>138942629
It's from a shit reviewer, sorry.
>>
>>138942127
>>138942531
Try to draw suspicion to another character/s. I guess you could switch killers entirely, but you need to make sure the original killer's alibi is sound and the new killer fits into the story in a logical manner. If shit comes out of left field with no foreshadowing it's just as bad. Might make for a more entertaining first experience, but the rewatch value would still be garbage.

>>138942750
Satoru has been a pretty illogical, idiotic MC from episode 1. He deserved to drown to death. Dude sat in the passenger seat for so long and didn't even think of just wiggling out of a fucking seatbelt, let alone trying to unbuckle it until death was breathing down his neck.
>>
>>138942750
>Satoru look like the most gullible idiot ever.

He was literally watching the door Misato went in and never saw her go out, but believed she left the area and possibly got herself kidnapped in the span of a minute or so.
>>
>>138942836
>Satoru is supposed to have the mind of a 29 years old, yet a 10 years old like Kenya seems smarter than him.
He has the mind of a 29 year old pizza delivery driver. Not too difficult for a reasonably bright 10 year old to appear smarter.
>>
>>138941132
I feel ashamed, I thought he was a good man. Even husbando material.
>>
>>138942999
Satoru has the brain of a child. His brain has the logical capacity and development of a 10 year old. Why do people keep forgetting this? Yes he has the memories of his 29 year old self but he has the mental capacity of a 10 year old. He was also an average kid for his age. Kenya is smarter.
>>
File: 1458452499519.jpg (293KB, 883x883px) Image search: [Google]
1458452499519.jpg
293KB, 883x883px
>>138942999
>Trying this hard to defend shitty writing

Please continue.
>>
>>138943124

It's not emphasized enough and otherwise done in a repetitive way. "You're 29 years old, man!"

Actually having him impaired by his child body, being enveloped by nostalgia and youth before his life took a turn in the wrong turn and emphasize it more than the show would've made him seem less stupid and a stronger character. Failed mangaka and the problems surrounding it was just window dressing.
>>
>>138943166
>Trying this hard to defend the intellect of pizza delivery drivers over the age of 20

Please continue
>>
>>138943285
>implying delivering pizza kills your brain cells
>>
>>138942914
>Dude sat in the passenger seat for so long and didn't even think of just wiggling out of a fucking seatbelt, let alone trying to unbuckle it until death was breathing down his neck.
Or I don't know, just pull the belt till it gets loose and then get the fuck out there?
Or since it was an auto, just grab the shifter and set to R instead of D

Combo both and you can also floor it on R and since its a AWD if will probably craw up the slope and the fuck out of there

Fuck satoru was stupid during the whole thing, he could just popped sensei's belts then pull the E brake hard when they were driving fast and the car would lose control hopefully fucking up beltless sensei
There were so many possible solutions to get out of the car and he did none of them
>>
>>138943325
>implying people with functioning brains need to resort to working jobs made for high school students
>>
>>138943362
apologize to the people delivering delicious pizza, right now.
>>
>>138942999
>>138943285
He's a failed mangaka, that's why he has to take a a shitty job to make ends meet.
What the fuck is your obsession with pizza delivery guys anyway? Transporting italian food doesn't give you brain damages.
By the way, even the more dense 29 years old should appear as a genius compared to a 10 years old. Kids are fucking dumb.
>>
>>138943414
>Kids are fucking dumb.
Most are, yes. So are most adults.
>>
>>138943414
Are you kidding? children's logic is not as advanced as adult's because they are limited by their brain. They are easy to fool with things that we think is obvious. There is plenty of research on that topic.

>perhaps most impressive findings concern the protracted maturation of the prefrontal cortex (PFC) and parietal regions. It appears that around age 11, the PFC and parietal lobes begin a period of prolonged pruning of neuronal axons resulting in thinning of cortical grey matter. At the same time, there appears to be an increase in neuronal myelination. The significance of these maturational changes has yet to be established. However, many researchers have argued that the protracted pruning of the PFC represents growing frontal control over behavior, the absence of which is associated with impulsivity and poor decision-making. Indeed, adolescents have long been described as excessively prone to risk taking and impulsivity as exemplified by drug use, unintentional injuries (especially car accidents), and unprotected sexual activity (Arnett, 1992)
>>
File: 1430798870567.jpg (30KB, 296x261px) Image search: [Google]
1430798870567.jpg
30KB, 296x261px
So I finally got around to watching this and while I'll admit as a whole it was good enough for me to want to watch it in one go, the writing is fucking terrible. I had actually convinced myself that the killer can't be sensei, because they had made it so obvious that it must be him. At least I understand the cuck memes now, I guess.

When episode one aired everybody was going on about how the manga is better and the anime is going to ruin everything. Is this true or is it just as bad? Unless several characters are characterized differently and different information is provided to the reader I can't see how it could be much better.
>>
>>138943633
meant to reply to >>138943181
>>
>>138943660

That has so little to do with what I actually said.
>>
>>138943656
A lot of manga readers got buttmad about the ending. Think about reading the same shitty story except you've got to wait at least a month each chapter.
And then you get this.
>>
>>138943656
No. The manga is just as shit and I dare say even worse. Manga has terrible arts and the story is just as bad, maybe even slightly even worse since they have 2 unimportant mini arc and sensei flashback that the anime gloss over.
The anime actually has a high production value, good direction and camera work and OST that really bring out the atmosphere. Too bad at the end of the day, it couldn't save the shit writing.
It is this year Thankyou no Terrorists
>>
Rorico, what are you doing in 4chan?
>>
>>138943181
>Actually having him impaired by his child body, being enveloped by nostalgia and youth before his life took a turn in the wrong turn and emphasize it more than the show would've made him seem less stupid and a stronger character.
This is what I wanted from this series. I thought it would be primarily about nostalgia and the way it fucks with our memories, and the first parts made it seem that way. In fact, if they had played it that way and focused more on depicting that perspective, and not just shat out "oh shit, I never would have suspected sensei" they might have actually pulled off making the reveal of whodunnit shocking.
>>
>>138941042

I wished people would fuck off about this show before episode 11 hit, now I do even more for opposite reasons. I know Winter is usually bad and only a handful of shows tend to float to the top of the public consciousness but I wish people would shut the fuck up about it already and figure this shit will be going on for months after Thursday now. Fucking A-1/Sony Music shit, every time man. They could really stand to have so much less publicity and fixation surrounding their output. It's actually getting worse than Kyoani levels now.
>>
>>138943790
>good direction and camera work

Brah, the direction isn't good. It's overall barely competent.
>>
Anime snob. Get out of 4chan.
>>
>>138943521
Kids have less intellectual capacities than adults, they obviously don't get the same education, and they lack the "common sense" you gain with years of experiences.

Kids are horribly dumb. That's why they can be endearing, but you can compare them to adults.
>>
>>138943790
I like the manga art, it doesn't translate well in animation.
Too bad about the rest.
>>
>>138943700
How so? People are complaining about his lack of putting two and two together. My point is children's brain are a lot less developed than an adult's. Specially in terms of "poor decision making", Satoru is not even 11 when the brain start to change radically. So technically, him not realizing sensei was a bad man is not stupid. He was limited by the development of his brain. This is one reason why is easy for rapists to kidnap kids.
>>
>>138941319
People who get beaten by their parents are shallow characters. They are depressed and feel empty inside and never talk exept for their few standard words.
>>
>>138943866
I'd say it's mediocre, even possibly slightly sub-par, since they make the killer clear as day and don't really characterize anybody all that well. Actually, as for the latter it seems they couldn't decide whether it should be depicted from the protagonist's perspective or from a third-person omniscient perspective, and just kept switching between the two. They kept showing characters doing things in a way that the viewer couldn't tell what they were thinking and focused on what the protagonist sees, but then at the same time foreshadowed things that never happened and arbitrarily switched to the unstintingly personal perspective of other characters. It's as if they knew what story they wanted to tell and that it was a pretty good story, but had no idea how they wanted to tell it, or even how to tell a story from a perspective at all. Of course, I haven't read the manga so I don't know if this is something to blame the director for.
>>
>>138943998
>So technically, him not realizing sensei was a bad man is not stupid

He literally said he was blinded by his impression of him and threw him out as possibility despite being on the list because of his mother also being on it. He says it was obvious immediately after being confronted with it. This has nothing to do with getting blatantly tricked like >>138942928

Plus, Satoru shows a mental capacity beyond a 10-11 year old on multiple occasions, which is why Kenya gets suspicious.

> My point is children's brain are a lot less developed than an adult's.

Something I never contested, and actually agreed with in the post you replied to.
>>
>>138943998
>He was limited by the development of his brain.
The problem is that this isn't actually shown to be the case, or if it is, it isn't made clear. The only evidence of it is when he keeps chiding himself for being smitten with Kayo. In fact, they make it seem as if he has retained much of his cognitive ability with his memories, as he does not act all that much like a child and is described as having suddenly become more mature, not to mention the fact that he thinks in his adult voice. Perhaps you could chock it up to the wisdom that comes with an adult's memories, but if he had really reverted to his ten-year-old's mental capacity and only retained the memories we should have seen him fighting his childish thoughts and actions much more than we did. The voice thing can be forgiven since it was juxtaposed against childlike internal voice after the coma, but his thought process in general is not at all similar to that of a child, especially the kind of child he seems to have been.
>>
You know what was thrilling? the first few chapters of death note.

That shit was just so good. We had a character who could kill anyone at any moment with his bullshit item, but immediately then he gets a mysterious rival who is possibly even smarter then him. It's then a game of cat and mouse to see who will stumble first

If death note had someone remained that way it would have been great, but then it turned into cakes, gothic lolis, and slowly got worse and worse
>>
>>138944055
Most of those problems came from the manga. Hell, the manga is way less focused than the anime.
>>
>>138944233
He didn't fight his childish thoughts much more than he did because he didn't need to. If you went back to your 10 year old self and hang out with a bunch of 10 years old, it would be torture. I would be bored out of my mind. There is nothing to talk about. Instead he genuinely enjoys being with them because his brain is enjoying his childlike activities because he is a child. He is only resisting his feelings towards Kayo because he saw himself as a 29 year old, but he isn't because his mind is that of a 10 year old. His 29 year old self falling in love with Kayo would have make him a pedophile. But it felt right, he felt right because he was 10 in mind and body. If you went back to your 10 year old body would you fall in love with a little girl? Assuming you are not a pedophile, you wouldn't. It would be unnatural.
>>
>>138944271
Everything went downhill after episode 25.
>>
>>138943790
The manga has better writing than the anime(not good but a lot of things make more sense) and a lot of scenes were handled better. Also, the direction of the anime was terrible.
>>
File: 3.jpg (166KB, 728x1095px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
166KB, 728x1095px
>>138944233
>The problem is that this isn't actually shown to be the case, or if it is, it isn't made clear.
Blame the anime and the director.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.