[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you put up with this shit? I recently watched through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

How do you put up with this shit?
I recently watched through the american dub version of Dragon Ball Z, and what the fuck is up with the names and some voices?
Here are some examples that made me particularly annoyed:

1. The voices of certain characters, especially Vegeta and Piccolo are completely off the original version. They sound like middle-aged choke fetishists. I do however thinn that Goku's voice is very good, at least in comparison to most characters. I get that it'd be hard to make him sound like a hick so they made him dimwitted and happy instead.

2. What's with the fucked up translations of names? Flying Nimbus, King Kai, Supreme Kai, Kamaya-maya, Destructo-Disc, Dr. "Jerome", fucking Special Beam Cannon? Hercule? SHENRON? These are beyond retarded.

How do you put up with these shitty versions of names. I've seen the Japanese and American versions of the shows, and I've read the swedish and japanese versions of the manga and the american dub is so fucking bad it's insane.
>>
>How do you put up with this shit?

easy, i'm not a virgin
>>
>2026 - 10
>Watching DBZ
>>
>>138787029
What makes you think anyone here is putting up with it?

There's very few shows that /a/ considers acceptable to watch the dub in and dragon ball is not one of them.
>>
>>138787441
Excuse me... I'm latino and I fucking disagree.
>>
English DBZ is by far the worst international version.

French, Italian, Spanish (and all varaints of Catalan, Latin, Portuguese etc.), German are all better.
>>
>>138787555
Disagree with what?
That /a/ doesn't like dubs? Then you must be new to /a/.
>>
>>138787691
I disagree with
> dragon ball is not one of them

90s latin Spanish dub is the best.. overall.
>>
>>138787774
Is that the concensus on /a/? If not then you're point is irrelevant because I didn't say shit about the quality of dubs did I? I only talked about what /a/ thinks.
I'll forgive you though since english is probably not your first language.
>>
Shenron is the original name.
>>
>>138787828
no, it's not and I'm glad since my childhood was better.

>>138787859
lel. it's shen long.
>>
>>138787899
Shen Long is Chinese for God dragon, but in the manga it's written Shenron.
>>
>>138788156
>in manga it's written Shenron.

in moonrunes....mai furendo.
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V22C319 - Page 09.png (425KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V22C319 - Page 09.png
425KB, 1024x1536px
>>138787029
They got better with DBZ Kai, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. Ignore the orginal DBZ dub
>>
File: 022.jpg (341KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
022.jpg
341KB, 1024x1536px
>>138788236
It's still Shenron. There is no g sound.
>>
>Dubs
>Not preferred by each viewer's regional tastes

It's mostly by how much work is put into translating everything correctly and having the least censorship where you can determine which is best dub/local. The ones that do it the most faithfully is best dub, but that might not mean the voice work being of the best quality though or if they even fit the characters. Shit happens.

And everyone knows best Goku voice is Henrique Feist. But I may be biased. I've grown too used to how silly the entire dub came out and I kinda admire the effort they went through even though they were limited on voice actors. Vegeta's voice actor hijinks always take a laugh out of me.
>>
>>138787899
>third world country
>better childhood

kek
>>
>>138788416
it's kanji. also..
>wanting accuracy in japanese pronunciation though katakana
>>
If only there was a release of DBZ with each language dub
>>
The English dub uses the Hawaiian pronunciation of Kamehameha when they're referring to it and the Japenese pronunciation when they use it.
>>
>>138788524
ok... dude.

keep enjoying your freedom.
>>
DB's sub voices are terrible too. Kai is better in every way and actually has a good/accurate Dub, so you only have yourself to blame if you watch the original DBZ in the year 2016. Especially with that terrible Faulconer music.
>>
>>138787668
>French

Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egl8byQpMag
>>
i'm going to leave this here. just as reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvSlEFGKQ8
>>
>>138787029
Hercule is because a kids program can't have a guy literally called "Satan". Other anime series have been edited or effected due to this as well. Off the top of my head I can remember parents being in an uproar over gundam because of "deathscythe hell", "god", and "devil" gundams. Yugioh also got some heavy edits to card names and pictures to remove modern religious imagery and names.
>>
>>138788540
If you asked Toriyama what the Dragon is called he would say Shenron. It's ok to think that the English dub should have used the Chinese pronunciation, but the original name is still Shenron.
>>
>>138787029
Simple: watch Kai. It's a million times better than the original FuniDub.
>>
>>138787029
All of this is really old news, anon

Just watch Kai and laugh at the fact it took 4 attempts for murricans to get a good dub for DBZ
>>
>>138788846
>implying toriyama can pronounce "Shenlong"
>>
>>138788540
>it's kanji.
The furigana is right there.
シエンロン
>>
>>138788957
Do you also call Goku Wukong?
>>
>>138789063

>katakana
>accurate
>>
>>138789120
no, because his name it's not kanji
>>
>>138788678
>Portugal just had to use this version too

Eugh, we could have gotten either Portuguese PT or undubbed Chala Head Chala since we used to let some Jap. openings slip by.
>>
>>138789128
But that's how they pronounce it in Japanese.
>>
>>138787029
>Kamaya-maya
It's pronounced how it should when it's being charged up, but the wrong syllables are stressed when it's referenced elsewhere.

> Dr. "Jerome"
That is either a lie or you have bad hearing because it's only Gero in the English dub.
>>
File: 006.jpg (254KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
254KB, 1024x1536px
>>138789170
His name is written in kanji, it's literally in the title of the first fucking chapter.
>>
>>138789275

>doragon boru

>>138789385
its not even goku
>>
>>138789376
Kamehameha was the name of a Hawaiian king. The English dub uses the real pronunciation of his name when characters name the technique and the Japanese pronunciation when they use it.

In Japan Gero is said with a hard g sound, the English dub changed it.
>>
File: 1396011958112.jpg (61KB, 374x430px) Image search: [Google]
1396011958112.jpg
61KB, 374x430px
>>138789455
>its not even goku
>>
>>138789455
Do you not see "Son Gokuu" written with three kanji in the chapter title?
>>
fuck dbs or dbz. even if they make the animation good, dragon ball still has a lot plotholes and shitty storyline. i used to think dragonball is the best anime ever until i tried watching other anime made me realize im wasting my life watching this dbs shit
>>
>>138788756

Americans are fucking insane.
>>
File: 166.jpg (326KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
166.jpg
326KB, 1024x1536px
>>138789919
A lot of censorship is stupid, but surely you realize that including this scene in a children's cartoon in a western country would have caused a huge shitstorm.
>>
>>138790034
...What? That wasn't cut out at all.
>>
>>138790034
You mean anglosphere. Is Religion context in England and Australia okay?
>>
>>138787029
>realizing just now how shitty a dub can be.
>>
>>138790155
There is religious content, and then there is including a scene where the entire planet literally praises Satan.
>>
It's weird. The new version keeps Hercule, but you still get to see Goku's kid penis.
>>
>>138787029
Because Super has taught me how much I could hate Goku if I watch DBZ with the japense dub. Fuck that woman. But I dislike the heroics traits the dub gave Goku when he isn't a hero, but a fucking moronic fighting lover.
>>
>>138790155
As an American, it never really made that much sense to me. A few characters having religiously themed names is in no way worse than some of the shit taught in Sunday school.
>>
>>138787029
>Jindujun (Kintoun)
>Yamchu
>Pool (Puar)
>Tao Baibai
>Master Quince (Karin)
>Neiru (Nail)
>Badaku (Bardock)
>Zuusu (Jeice)
The Swedish version did lots of retarded name translations too.
>>
If there's one thing in particular that makes the American dub shit, it's how the characters just have to be groaning, gasping or making some other retarded noise every single moment they're on screen.
Seriously, try to count every time they go "Uhhh... ", "Aaahhh" or laugh nervously to themselves. It sounds cringeworthy as fuck.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.