[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Tencent bought the rights to more than 300 Japanese anim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

File: Alfred Chen - Comicloft Studio.jpg (524KB, 1650x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred Chen - Comicloft Studio.jpg
524KB, 1650x2200px
>Tencent bought the rights to more than 300 Japanese anime franchises and cultivated others at home with a plan to parlay them into multimedia juggernauts. The creator of WeChat and QQ intends to generate revenue in several ways: by putting some comics behind a paywall, and by licensing the characters for movies, games, toys and clothes. Regardless of the approach, Tencent is chasing a domestic market expected to double in value to $31 billion by 2020.
>Modeling its entertainment business after a Marvel Studios-style conglomerate pits Tencent against Japanese titans Toei Animation Co. Ltd. and Studio Ghibli Inc., and domestic rivals Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. and Baidu Inc.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-15/ninja-naruto-leads-tencent-s-march-into-china-s-31-billion-anime-market

>Tencent Holdings Limited is a Chinese investment holding company whose subsidiaries provide media, entertainment, internet and mobile phone value-added services, and operate online advertising services in China.

Things are about to become very interesting.
>>
People actually buy Microsoft Surfaces?
>>
>>138682401
go charge your upside down mouse, applefag
>>
>>138682401
only basement dwelling fat, disgusting, otaku like alfred chen
>>
>>138682401
They're pretty good now. They were always good, but it was ahead of its time back then.

The article misses some things that were in the live report. Tencent's plan is to buy as much as they can to make a Marvel-like multiverse that they can lock down and license the hell out of.
They're also buying up small companies and shutting them down. Meaning Japanese studios will have to pay more for the same labor. Meaning all but the most rich will get wiped out, and the rich will have be as safe and mainstream as possible to keep making profit.
>>
>>138682401
It's more logical than buying overpriced Apple stuff that can't do shit before jailbreak.
>>
>>138682401
Surface Book is actually bretty gud.
>>
>>138682889
>They're also buying up small companies and shutting them down. Meaning Japanese studios will have to pay more for the same labor
Wouldn't that drive down costs?
>>
Bought the rights as in publishing rights? Not the IP themselves, right?
>>
Buying a publishing right in country with the most copyright violation and piracy ?
>>
China scares me. Seems like they're buying up everything these days.
>>
As long as they don't try to fuck with Aniplex they are fine. The second they do they are going to try and crush them as that is fucking with Sony's money.
>>
>>138683283
No, once they band together they'll want more.
>>
I hope they succeed. Communist China is a cultural wasteland, it's about time they started contributing.
>>
>>138683283
If they have monopoly, they don't need to lower cost.
>>
>>138683569
PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>138684028
Hello.
>>
>>138683283
Say 10 studios get their animation done from 5 companies. China shuts down 4. The last company can't do five times the workload, so they charge more to meet the demand.

Small studios can't afford it and shut down. Niche and experimental studios can't make profit and shut down. Larger studios can't afford to take risks anymore and are stuck rehashing working formulas. Which the Chinese can buy the rights to and say fuck you it's ours now. And that's if they're playing nice.

Large studios will have to combine and have mass layoffs to stay relevant. If anyone tries to use alternative, digital distribution methods, Tencent can stop that by forcing them to use Chinese services, cutting them out of their own market.
>>
File: Z999.jpg (204KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
Z999.jpg
204KB, 1200x808px
>>138682401
>People actually buy Microsoft Surfaces?

The current models are actually pretty good and highly portable. Our local library has a bunch of them and loans them out for 2 hours at a time to use with the library's free wifi. Some people type pretty fast on them.
>>
big business trying to fuck with niches even more
greed is shitty
>>
File: Anal Sex.png (234KB, 1217x900px) Image search: [Google]
Anal Sex.png
234KB, 1217x900px
>>138683283
>Wouldn't that drive down costs?

You missed the point. Tencent is doing that as a "DOS" (aka denial of service on the internet) approach to reduce competition from other IP. By DOS'ing the ability of the japanese companies to find cheap chinese labor, their costs of producing anime will go up. Because of that, if they license to any of Tencent's competitors, the licensing fee will be higher and thus less able to compete against Tencent's own offerings in the market. Meanwhile, Tencent will be able to provide similar services and sell them to the japanese anime studios in return for an exclusive IP lockdown deal for the chinese market.

DOS approaches are used in many markets. For example, in my area, Comcast insisted various cities pass certain ordinances and thus increased Verizon's entry costs for FiOS. As a result, Verison didn't make FiOS available in many neighborhoods in my city. DOS does work.
>>
I will just say dont expect anything good to come out of this (even shitter inbetween frames incoming).
I'm being bias here but whenever tencent is involved they are just there to make money disregarding the damage to the industry.
>>
Too bad the West still isn't interested in this kind of thing. They're too happy making Ziobucks with all of the cheap tricks they have at their disposal.
>>
File: 1438000994894.png (418KB, 760x675px) Image search: [Google]
1438000994894.png
418KB, 760x675px
>China
Objection! Relevance.
>>
File: 1452023544792.jpg (112KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1452023544792.jpg
112KB, 1024x1365px
>>138682352
not anime. reported!
leave faggot
>>
>Things are about to become very interesting.
Yeah the rest of the world isn't exactly great with long term planning and foresight but China is easily the DSP of life.

"WOOOOOOOOW WHAT U MEAN STOCK MARKET DO NOT ONRY GO UP? PEAK AND CRASH NO IN MANURAR!"

not anime
>>
>China
Call me back when their stocks stop becoming as unstable as the transuranium elements.
>>
>>138682352
I wish the chinese market would crash already. Not sure how they even got so rich. Probably because they steal shit like crazy
>>
>>138682352
That cover look fucking stupid on the Surface.
>>
>>138687582
Nerd.
>>
>>138682352
>this guy buys fuckton of licenses
>someone else buys this guy
>>
>>138682401
The Surface 3 and onward is dope. My girlfriend has one. Pretty comfy to use.
>>
>>138688053

very little regulation and tons of human rights violations
>>
>>138688053
>Not sure how they even got so rich.
Money laundering.
>>
>>138682352

>chinese girl cartoons

the memes
>>
>>138682352
what did they but exactly?
>>
China can't make animu so they are hella jelly about JAPANIMATION so they do this.
>>
someone post about the LN Tencent incident
>>
>>138689415
>China can't make animu
Yeah, about that...
>>
File: 1458021900530.jpg (52KB, 399x464px) Image search: [Google]
1458021900530.jpg
52KB, 399x464px
>>
Which franchises have they bought?
>>
>>138689248
Tencent HUEG
Tencent send money
Money makes little waves
>>
File: 1451192457493.jpg (128KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
1451192457493.jpg
128KB, 640x364px
>>138685768
fuck guys I think I learned something
quick post anime girls before I invest in Tencent to satisfy my inner jew
>>
File: China.png (3KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
China.png
3KB, 470x313px
What does this mean for us?
>>
>>138689867
>investing money in china

wrap some $20 bills around m80s, you'll get the same effect just in a shorter timeframe.
>>
>>138689737

They banned foreign movies and anime about a decade ago because they wanted to start their own domestic animation program.

A decade later and they still haven't made much of an impact.. ALTHOUGH now the they have hundreds of thousands of animators. (Most of which are now being used as cheap outsourced labor by anime studios).

Problem is they don't have much original content to go by. And only now they are realizing if they can't make it, they can just buy it and resell it.
>>
>>138689899
bloody oath shitcunt
>>
>>138689773
For the chinese scans, oh wait...
>>
>>138689944
they are building a base of talent.
You can't just into cartoons like everyone else. They've done plenty of titles already, just nothing we here on /a/ care about YET.
Half the reason most of us are here is watching dubs as kids like dragonball etc.
Wait until kids grow up on literal chinese cartoons and go crazy for the VAs and shit. Its already happened with Korean media.
Its all a matter of time..
>>
>>138689880
Less
>raws
>>
>>138690048
keep dreaming chink
>>
>>138682889
>They're also buying up small companies and shutting them down
That doesn't work. If you shut down the company, the employees will just go elsewhere, or maybe setup another company, and nothing changes except that Tencent wastes money. Maybe they could bribe companies not to take up work, but that sounds unrealistically anti-competitive even for China. Realistically, the only way is to provide those small companies with more, better paying work.

Who actually outsources animation work to China anyway? I thought it was all Korea and Vietnam, plus Toei Philippines.
>>
>>138682352
Well this doesn't surprise me at all.

Anyway I think china's next move to buy out or buy into some of the smaller studios "2nd key animation" in japan for the purpose of a partnership or just getting the tech & talent to put it bluntly.

>>138689880
Either we're gonna start watching Chinese cartoons in the future part-time or nothing much will change. Japan's anime industry will continue to move ahead with the help of online stream, Eg "amazon prime,CR,funi, netflixs etc"

>>138690048
This is kind of true, though china is still about 5-8 years behind of japan on its animation prowess, Korea will move likely have a presences on us if Naver makes their move.
>>
>>138690048

Well yeah part of what you say is true and that's what I meant.
But is it gonna be the same?
Can you still call it "anime"?

Cartoons have been around for decades ever since they invented animation techniques (think Disney for example).

But there is a line between Anime and Cartoons (Western Animation) styles.

China, although it has the talent pool, doesn't seem to know what it wants to do so they are trying to artistically and culturally appropriate different things while trying to build an identity.
Remember in the past, ever since China turned Communist, most of their animation was reserved for propaganda rather than amusement.

I'm not saying Chinese animation is a bad thing though. The problem is when they see something good they like, for example a Gucci bag, or the iPhone - they think "oh we can do something like that!" But instead they just copy it most of the time... No innovation or progress until the next big thing shows up that they can copy.

I don't want to watch shows like that..
>>
China has danced around the idea of making their own chinese cartoons instead of relying on japan to make chinese cartoons for them.

I think the main problem is fear of being hauled off to an undisclosed prison cell by the Party for triggering some crooked government fuckstick in Beijing. Even Jackie Chan began putting out fucking propaganda for the State, and he was a Hong Kong bigshot filmmaker before they handed the city back over to the commies.
>>
>>138690430
I bet most of their shit would be martial arts crap
>>
>>138690343
anime is the Japanese word for cartoons why we separate it is ridicules to begin with
>>
>>138689880
I guess nothing unless they also buy the International or English rights.

They already have their own simulcast sites like Bilibili. That's why all CR series which have worldwide availability are always excluding Japan and China.
>>
>>138690343
>I don't want to watch shows like that..

And you don't have too, consumer choice.

>>138690463
Maybe, see what's on http://ac.qq.com/

I know the Chinese audience have been quite interested on Cupid's Chocolate, terrible series imo.

>>138690505
Culture divide, association to the region style and stigma to it's relation to american cartoons. I dunno.

Thing are going to change anyways.
>>
>>138690505
Japanese Anime from the 50s, up to the 80s tended to emulate western cartoons.

But they have since split and the art styles have become different. It might just be a word, but implications can be different. Same with manga, manhwa, and manhua.
>>
>>138690343
>No innovation or progress until the next big thing shows up that they can copy.
Japan already does that with their own shows. It's just that China is way more crass about their imitations.
>>
>>138689880
>>138690582
Some here have raised the issue that it could affect studios themselves by raising labor costs.

Also they don't have to buy international rights.
If the studio (that they now own) who originally owned the rights to a series decides to stop marketing things related to that... then we don't get anything anymore, period.
>>
I'm a little scared this'll influence some of the existing talent pool to pander heavily to China's tastes now.
>>
>>138682401
Yeah I see a few at the uni

Rare compared to MacBook by long shot
>>
>>138690707
Japan does it because they have a huge pool of series they can pick and choose from.

China doesn't have that luxury (hence why they are buying more readily available titles).

Unless they want to start animating Chinese "classics".

Who wants Romance of the Three Kingdoms Chinese animation?

...wait... actually there's tons of that already...
>>
Rip anime

At least this is just in time for Japan's rebuild of their armies.
>>
>>138690827
>Unless they want to start animating Chinese "classics".
Read the article.
>>
>>138690770
The good news is, most Chinese watchers actually don't mind regular shows and series we already are used to. So no need to worry about that.

The problem is Chinese censors don't like what you like.
>>
>>138690886
Yes, what of it?
>>
File: join the dark side anon.jpg (142KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
join the dark side anon.jpg
142KB, 600x500px
>>138682352
>chinese has strict censorship
>no more ecchi or lewd stuff
>no more reancarnation plotline
>no more gay

are you ready for new era of anime?
>>
>>138690930
Oh don't worry.
TPP or even Tokyo Olympics will probably kill the lewd before China does.
>>
>>138690770
China's taste in anime is pretty similar to japan's. You can check out what the highest rated show on their version of mal or just browse their streaming sites.

>>138690827
ac.qq.com

Not saying they're good but there are many titles.
>>
>>138690930
Japan is becoming a nationalist hellhole and Otaku are becoming increasingly insular and out-of-touch with the rest of the population.

So yes. I am ready for anime to get even worse.
>>
File: 1457792668344.gif (152KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
1457792668344.gif
152KB, 500x516px
>Anime is dying

I'm hearing this since 2006.
>>
>>138691001
Funny you should mention that because if they get Nationalist enough... they might just pass a law that will force Otaku to procreate rather than NEETing around to boost birthrates - thereby saving Japan once and for all!
>>
>>138691063
I think a part of it is wishful thinking for anime to crash and burn back to the kind of obscurity it had in the early 1980s.

Many think the money really corrupted the industry as it usually does.
>>
>>138691102
Personally I blame the Moe~ Moe~
>>
>>138690930
If we're tired of how much the West and Japan bleed shows dry, then we are not prepared for China.
>>
>>138690930
It's not like Japan is going away anytime soon.
>>
Ah fuck it. Before I go to bed, I just have to say I am still utterly thankful for our chinky bros who provide raws and shit. After all is said and done, you guys can be magnificent bastards sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osX19NSvZUc
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.