[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revolutionary Girl Utena is the greatest anime of all time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: Utena.jpg (109KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Utena.jpg
109KB, 768x1024px
Revolutionary Girl Utena is the greatest anime of all time.
>>
9/10
it's ok
>>
But anime shouldn't be good so Utena is shit
>>
>>137135816
Too many faggots in it.
>>
>lesbian interracial relationship that isn't about providing boner material

Before Tumblr too. This anime was ahead of its time.
>>
It's my favorite anime for making extremely good use of its medium. Really liked how into 70s avant garde theater Ikuni was, I've rarely seen a show work with its budget so well. The final episode and Utenas Mishima-esque nihilistic choice was really great, I had just read Runaway Horses and it reminded me of it in a symbolic way.

It's also pretty confrontational towards Japanese society, but Penguindrum topped it there really hard.
>>
File: touga.png (209KB, 590x408px) Image search: [Google]
touga.png
209KB, 590x408px
Touga should've won the Dios Bowl
>>
>>137135816
No, its not. Sailor Moon is.
>>
The greatest anime at being shit
>>
>>137136297
You could say it was... revolutionary
>>
>>137136760
fuck off carlos

>>137136320
2deep4me
>>
The subtext flew over my head, someone spoon feed me.
>>
TFW this is on my backlog, I'll probably watch it after CCS
>>
Was the Onion Prince rejected by Mikage because he was too pure or because he was a weak-willed dweeb?
>>
do i have to rewatch this or something
i feel like i get it but i don't get it
>>
I kinda struggled to stay engaged with it until it hit the final arc, but it did always feel like there was a lot of care and effort put into it. It's hard to care about these characters since I think the commentary surrounding them is a lot more interesting than just watching them on screen.
>>
File: 1452553673178.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1452553673178.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
Every anime with cute indian girl is a good anime
>>
>>137136918
It was just about identity and personal truths and delusions and how the line between the latter two can be blurry. Utena was lead to believe she was delusional, but in spite of that stuck to her ideals and was able to escape Akios manipulative grasp.

The academy wasnt purgatory per se, moee like an adolescent hellscape constructed by Akio, who had no real idea what it meant to be an adult. Thats what "graduating" is. I.e. the boy utena dude from black rose arc and utena/anthy themselves.

Its a more universal message about conviction and self, and can be construed as corny in a certain light, but the context of its execution makes it more remarkable, and in a place as conformist as Japan it was really harsh.

Watch Penguindrum next. But first read After the Quake (about the 1995 subway gas attacks), Superfrog Saves Tokyo and Night On the Galactic Railroad if you want it to be cooler.
>>
>>137136297

It was Revolutionary!
>>
>>137138447
Holy shit you're an idiot.

It's about attaining enlightenment and surpassing maya. That's what being an 'adult' means in that context.
>>
File: despair itself.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
despair itself.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>137136297
>You will never be held by a pink-haired blue-eyed angel
>She will never hold you firmly
>You will NEVER be this revolutionary

Just korose the universe already.
>>
File: UtenaHeadstand.jpg (49KB, 540x412px) Image search: [Google]
UtenaHeadstand.jpg
49KB, 540x412px
>>137137518
You don't always need a reason to reject a person.
The heart wants (or doesn't want) what it wants.
>>
File: Utena.jpg (84KB, 460x425px) Image search: [Google]
Utena.jpg
84KB, 460x425px
>>137136918
I'd say the main message of Utena is "You can rescue someone but you can't save them". What this means is that while you can destroy the physical chanes that bind a slave there is still the mentality of a slave that binds him and that isn't something anyone can destroy accept for that person themselves. That's how Anthy is. Utena constantly fights for her and tells her she wants her to be free acting like a prince. But for Anthy by saving her she just becomes that person's property, she doesn't became free because she doesn't know how.

In the end Utena realizes this, it's not that she can't be a prince because she's too weak or because she's a girl. It's because princes don't exist, it's idealism. She does the only thing she can, she decides to not just phisically rescue Anthy. She decides to inspire her and show her one can be free and leaves the academy. But since it's up to Anthy to become free, she has to make the steps herself.
>>
>>137139567
I mostly agree, but

>princes don't exist

Nah.

Utena initially strive to be like "the prince in her heart" (Dios). She eventually becomes disillusioned with that prince, and almost discards him.

Ultimately, Utena's perfect storybook prince didn't exist, but the idea of him guided her into becoming a fantastically capable and compassionate person. A practical prince.
>>
Too bad the action is fucking awful.

If you're gonna have five minutes of stock footage per episode to conserve budget you can at least be polite enough to give me a decent fight.
>>
>>137137518
He saw himself in the onion prince.
>>
>>137139816
It's not about the action, the fights are character resolution.
>>
>>137135816
No, Rose of Versailles is.
>>
File: 1452539842111.gif (189KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
1452539842111.gif
189KB, 500x347px
>>137140439
Yeah, but that's no excuse for shit choreography.
>>
>>137136918
It's about truth and lies/illusions. Every character was pretty much lying to themselves the entire show.
The whole student council would be happier if they knew or could be honest about what they really wanted.
The people in the Black Rose arc couldn't find a true path to their goals and got misled.
Hell Anthy knowing lies to herself about her brother the whole time because she's noe dependent on him.
Utena had in a sense been living a lie because she originally was only a prince because that's what she felt it would take to meet her prince, not out of nobility like a true prince should be.

It's also about ideals and reality. Broadly it's about how there's no perfect prince, but there's always a true prinxe inside.

Also guys what the hell did Akio even plan to do after getting his powers back?
>>
>>137140603
Have sex with even more highschoolers.
>>
>>137140635
Why high schoolers and not more lonely housewives
>>
>>137140635
Probably this, I don't think getting his powers back would change him. He's different from Anthy. Akio relishes in his role and enjoys abusing others.
>>
>>137139772
Princes aren't that great though. They're fairy tales, existing in a world where girls have to be princesses otherwise they become witches. The whole problem arose in the first place because Dios got everyone used to him solving their problems for them until he collapsed.

Princes are a false ideal in the end. Utena didn't succeeed because she became an ideal prince, there were other who played the game before her and failed too. She got through because she reached out to Anthy as a person but it was Anthy who had to get herself up in the end. Gotta leave that mindset behind to grow up.
>>
>>137139772
You're wrong, what you're speaking of is not a prince. At least not a prince in the way the show presents, the type of prince Utena thinks she wants to be. She realizes this is a false ideal hence her line: "I guess, in the end, I couldn't be a prince. Forgive me, Anthy, for pretending to be a prince."

In Utena the fall of idealism is an important theme, but doesn't decent into nihilism.
>>
>>137138279
Anthy is a nigga. Utena's nigga.
>>
File: 1440901280140.gif (25KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
1440901280140.gif
25KB, 352x352px
>>137138279
>>
>>137142096
Aw, shit. Why not Sayla?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.