[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /a/'s thoughts on Welcome to the NHK?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

File: 52675.jpg (44KB, 225x318px) Image search: [Google]
52675.jpg
44KB, 225x318px
What are /a/'s thoughts on Welcome to the NHK?
>>
File: 1252080173698.jpg (77KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1252080173698.jpg
77KB, 750x600px
/a/ in a nutshell
>>
It's /a/'s deniable ego.
>>
>>135583466
>>135583404

He isn't even wrong.

When I first watched it, it was like someone had been stalking me and decided to make my life into an anime.

It's fucking saddening, but it's a great anime.

The creator is actually a really cool guy, too.
>>
I liked it
>>
satou is the most relatable character of all time
>>
It was a bit to slice of life for my taste but its message was very solid
>>
i flat out hated it...
>>
>>135583688
For what reason out of curiosity
>>
Yamazaki was based, what a good guy
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0wTDhWxpHxh

HITORI BOCHHHIIIIII
>>
>>135583849
Total agreence everyone gushes over the theme, and im n.just here strumming away
>>
Reading the books now, though I've been having issues finding 2+ in Epub and the conversion leaves it into an ugly, ugly mess. I'm kinda sad they removed the drug use from the anime, but I get it.
>>
>>135583965
I enjoy the entire OST, Hitori Bocchi is just one of my favourites to play on my guitar. I think my second favourite is Hitori no Tame no Lullaby.

>>135584015
I really wanted (and still want to) purchase the books but holy shit, new copies are impossible to find.
>>
>>135584079
My library has the first two issues suprisingly, that how i was introduced to the series
>>
>>135584161
All I've found is copies in other languages or incredibly expensive English ones, which I can't afford.
>>
>Satou is in his late 30s now

Do you think he properly made it? Do you think Satou was able to find true happiness and a job that didn't drain him of his energy?
>>
would have been better if it was just about sato slowly going crazy, without yamazaki or misaki or that other girl in the show at all.
>>
>>135583767
i hated the ending, it was so wrong and full of forced drama. Satou is all better now, because he has to get a job? thats bullshit! Had he actually found a job that he liked and gotten some therapy then it would have been alright. The ending was so depressing and bad that it really pissed me off. Its the exact opposite of the ending of neon genesis evangelion, a show that dealed with similar problems but had an hopeful and uplifting ending, not ''life is shit and we will do our best, not to kill ourselves'' kinda ending. And i really hated the main girl. She is one of the most unlikeable anime characters ever.

i could bring up more points, but my memory is extremely fuzzy over all the little details, since i saw it way back when...

basically, i hate it because of personal reasons. Its hard to put it into words.
>>
>>135583404
It was great despite the quality drop.
>>
>>135584459
Understandable. But the story was more about how different people accept reality.

>>135584493
>i hated the ending, it was so wrong and full of forced drama. Satou is all better now, because he has to get a job? thats bullshit! Had he actually found a job that he liked and gotten some therapy then it would have been alright. The ending was so depressing and bad that it really pissed me off.

That's how it was supposed to be. There is no true happiness in life. Satou had to either escape being a hikikomori by finding some shit job just to live, or slowly waste away until he becomes homeless and starves. As a hikikomori myself, it showed how we live so perfectly. There's no escape if someone keeps feeding you the necessities in life.
>>
>>135583404
It's a good manga/lightnovel
it's an alright anime.
it has best girl in it so meh
>>
>>135584750
>it has best girl in it so meh
Senpai, right?
>>
>>135584493
And here we have a fucking idiot who completely missed the point of the ending. It was a fucking fantastic conclusion. The only reason you actually dislike it is because you relate to Satou so much and you're terrified of the inevitability of the same thing happening to you.
>>
>>135585524
Anon pls, he's going to have a mental breakdown...
>>
>>135584493
That's kind of shit interpretation. Satou is not happy at all and he is stuck in a circle of self-loathing with a girl that trusts in him only because he is a bigger loser than her. The main message of NHK seems to be to "save yourself" rather than "let this super cute girl save you". It's not forced or preaching about "getting a job is fulfilling", just a slope downwards. I understand if you dislike downer endings, but comparing it to eva is a strange choice as the ending is mc just strangling a bitch for self-centered reasons.
>>
File: 1337226587572.jpg (237KB, 1200x1221px) Image search: [Google]
1337226587572.jpg
237KB, 1200x1221px
Watch it as a student or a working man, and you'll find it a bitter sweet but fun anime.

Watch it as a neet, and you'll find yourself in despair and suicidal.

You were like Yamazaki, but now you have become like Satou with no one to save you.
>>
>>135586521
that was the end of evangelion movie, im talking about the tv shows ending.
>>
>>135584616
>>135585524
>>135585581

right now im kinda hikikomori and im well aware that i cant live my whole life in my parents house. But that does not worry me, i have kinda normal people skills, im smart, i look kinda nice, im great at manipulating people and i make 300 a month (i fake aspergers/agorofobia so they give me money, cuz those idiots think i cant work.). Once i finish my 12 grade, im going to the film school (that means i can live another 5 years at home). then after that, i will become the greatest film director that the world has ever seen!!!
>>
File: 1422774868458.jpg (165KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1422774868458.jpg
165KB, 600x600px
I want Satou in this picture.
>>
File: 1440970900923.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440970900923.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>135585524
Have you not seen any Welcome to the NHK thread ever?

Even the simplest shit can fly over some people's heads. You should always expect to see some dumbfuck interpretation of NHK's events.
>>
>>135584493
I also hated the ending for the same reason. The MC eventually surrendered to what society expected from him, but didn't resolve the problems that led him to become an hikikomori in the first place.

They could have found any other way like, dunno, Satou deciding to change his life and going on a road trip to find his way, or acquiring a goal, or even something stupid like "the power of love". They could have gone the opposite way and let the MC descend to madness or becoming a tramp.

But no. The message here is "surrender". Pretty shit.

>>135584616
>There is no true happiness in life.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
File: escapism arisu.png (88KB, 431x280px) Image search: [Google]
escapism arisu.png
88KB, 431x280px
>>135588023
>>
>>135587528
Can confirm. For a year after i dropped from uni i couldn't find any but minimal wage jobs and started watching anime regularly to keep myself afloat. Stumbled on this show and have watched up until that pyramid scheme episode. It was so spot on back then that i never touched that anime again.
But you know what? I moved up since then, so i'm gonna watch it tonight all the way through.
Have a good one p/a/ls.
>>
>>135588701
What are u implying?
>>
>>135583404
It was pretty good, although I thought it handled itself much better as a dark comedy than it did as a drama. The MLM arc was just awful and the ending felt like a bit of a cop out with Satou resolving all of his problems a bit too easily in the end.
>>
>>135588023

damn dude. we are so similar. it just sounds so stupid when you when you say it out loud.

I was going to film school before but now I'm studying animation. Props man I hope you can make it.
>>
>>135583404

I just wanted him to bang that cute 17-18 year old. I mean thats all I think it really needed.

I also wish it included more scenes with drugs. Then I really think I could have REALLY related to it.
>>
>>135591486
You should read the novel.
>>
>>135591420
Ikr, everyone thinks that im a loon, because instead if doing some normal work like being a janitor or a builder, i want to do something really creative. But being a film director has been my dream for 11 years now. I will become one, and even if i wont be successful or relevant, i will still be doing stuff i love instead of stuff the society wants me to do.
>>
>>135591812
You'll have to learn to type first.
>>
>>135591998
I know how to type. The problem here is that English aint my first language, its like 01:35 right now (way the fuck past bed-time) and im staring at a bright phone screen. And my phone has really small buttons. So ofc i make mistakes.
>>
File: NHK06_zpsa0e1c1b9.jpg (35KB, 365x205px) Image search: [Google]
NHK06_zpsa0e1c1b9.jpg
35KB, 365x205px
>>135584493
But he already got a therapist.
>>
>>135589047
>Pyramid scheme episode was so spot on

What happened, anon?
>>
>>135593143
Making excuses will not help you to become a film director
>>
>>135593143
>>135591812
>>135588023

starting making movies and short films now. or at least storyboard/write a lot of stuff. Find actors and producers.

You need money to be a film director. And you need to have a lot of connections to do so. You need someone to actually give you thousands/millions of dollars to make a film. Which means you NEED experience.

A degree will not be close to enough experience. You have to start doing this shit now.
>>
puru-puru-pururin
>>
>>135593307
It wasn't pyramid scheme in that ep that cracked me.
It was that former class rep saying something like "i'm tired of the world constantly shitting on me" that broke me. At the time i was fresh dropout fearing that i'm gonna do shit jobs for rest of my life. Hence spot on.
Sry for shitty blog, it 1:20 AM.
>>
>>135593803
That anon wasn't serious. He was testing you. You failed.
>>
>>135593803
It's okay. Thought you got caught in a scheme or something.
>>135593865
No i didn't.
>>
I love it. Scares me since I'm scared of one day ending up like that one day, but it's a beautiful cautionary tale and social commentary that made me want to be a better person.
>>
File: hwdt.jpg (4KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
hwdt.jpg
4KB, 100x100px
>>135593865
Testing me? On the internet? Who would do such a thing Anon?
>>
>>135593591
Right now i write novels, short stories and scripts. Once i assemble my crew and get better equipment, im gonna start making short films for film festivals and competitions. In my country, we have a lot of those. Its the perfect way for young filmmakers to get recognition from the professionals. As for connections, i got some thanks to my parents. They were film/theater critics back in the day, so they know a lot of actors and directors. Some of my countries top tier actors are my friends and one of my family friends is a really famous musician (arvo pärt),
Granted, my small country doesnt have a large film industry, but that makes it easier to get into it. So i think i might be able to make it.
>>
It's what convinced me that it's possible to write a good story about anything so long as you're being honest.

I mean, on paper a story about a NEET shouldn't excite anyone.
>>
File: snapshot20100125144135.jpg (48KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20100125144135.jpg
48KB, 853x480px
would you accept her contract /a/?
>>
>>135593656
That's been my ringtone for about 5 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRpSRP0l4bo
>>
>>135595634
ofcourse
she's happy and I get to talk to a girl
>>
>>135595634
No
>>
>>135595634
Probably yes, but I wouldn't take anything she talks seriously. I know what the series is trying to say, but she's still a cute girl.
>>
>>135595634
Realistically speaking if I was Sato and I had her come over to my house every now and then, one of these days I wouldn't be able resist would just rape her.
>>
>>135593951
>but it's a beautiful cautionary tale

Wasn't there some irony with the ending of the novel where the author says 'Do your best!' and then in a later edition he's still basically NEET but living off the royalties of his book?

It is otherwise a very good short novel which ends on a hopeful note.
>>
File: vlcsnap-1493726.jpg (17KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-1493726.jpg
17KB, 704x400px
KEKED
>>
This would have better impact if it were released nowadays.
I only read the manga, but since theres not much difference with the show.
>>
>>135595926
It felt like he was trying to cheer himself on as well. It fucking hurts when I think about how he must have felt.
>>
I liked it, but the ending felt a little rushed
>>
>>135593338
Not the guy. But you're just nitpicking at this point
>>
>>135583404
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TGCnvAHMo
thought I'd just post this
>>
How come this series isn't popular in Japan when they have so many more NEETs than the West?
>>
>>135583404
I really just got it a day or two ago. I used to relate to it as thinking I was like Satou (it was just me being a faggot). But I came to realize I was an outsider looking into the mind of the faggots that I most hate on this planet.
>>
File: 1435172112681.jpg (12KB, 400x233px) Image search: [Google]
1435172112681.jpg
12KB, 400x233px
Would you have chosen Misaki or Hitomi if you were forced to choose?
>>
>>135596210
How would you know if you didn't watch the anime? At least the ending is totally different.
>>135596857
Because it doesn't glorify neets. If you were treated as the trash of society, would you spend your shekels on a work that makes you feel bad and question yourself, or a show that has cute girls swarming around self-insert main characters dick?
>>
>>135588023
Faito director kun! But start making them now. Start to teach yourself. You can't become strong without training. You can't be enlightened without education.
>>
>>135583404
My personal favorite. Realistic and relatable in every way.
>>
>>135597040
The one who would never leave me.
>>
>>135597040
Misaki ofcourse
Hitomi's a crazy bitch who was about to kill herse-
oh wait, nevermind
>>
I read the novel at least once a year. I've read over 400 "literary" works in my life time (i.e., proper literature) and it's still in my top 5. I even scanned it some years ago when it wasn't easily available online and uploaded it as .doc and .pdfs. Maybe those are still around somewhere.

The funny thing is, back when I originally read it, my power level was pretty high but in truth I was much closer to being a normie. This past year has seen me diving fully into the NEET life and it's simply amazing how much of Satou's mental process matched my own depressive state. For that alone it's a great piece of literature.

Manga and anime were OK, You could say they are more fulfilling due to length and exposure, some of the spins on the novel's plot are pretty cool, but the simplicity of the novel makes it better imo. The going to church while high on drugs chapter is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read and no comedic part on the series ever matched that.

>>135584408
The epilogue on the novel is most of the soul crushing things ever, though, as Satou is heavily inspired on the author's life. So my guess is that he either killed himself or he went back into his ways.
>>
>>135597342
You probably haven't read much good literature then.
>>
>>135597446
BTFO
>>
>>135583404
Pretty fucking depressing, because even at the end, it leave you the message that life is just not worth living, but having someone by your side make it somewhat tolerable, is very different "live" that "survive".
>>
>>135597446
Well, to be brief, I've read 60-70% of the Western canon (http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html) and pretty much every piece of Japanese literature translated into English, so I'm guessing you assumed wrongly.

Top X's are purely personal and arbitrary, so who the fuck cares how I place them in an imaginary ranking, you illiterate cunt.
>>
>>135598027
That's pretty impressive. Not sure why anyone would actually try to read all the historically relevant books and be pretentious enough to count a percentage, but impressive either way.
>>
My thoughts are that I really want to read that damn manga, but I have trouble reading stuff on my computer (because distractions) or my phone(because small screen).
Along with that, I doubt I'll find a single volume in this entire country and shit's expensive on ebay since I need it translated.

Life is suffering, someone please end it
>>
>>135598027
How is NHK top 5 among that list, by what criteria, enjoyment?
>>
>>135598172
>and be pretentious enough to count a percentage
Goodreads does the counting for me; the % was anecdotic, a means to illustrate how well read I supposedly am.
>>
IN FACT YOU COULD SAY I"M A HIKKIMORI MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
had an interesting premise
Anime turned out to be just another dude meets a bunch of girls with problems HAREMSHIT
>>
>>135598526
That and relatability.

There's not much logic, really. I read it back when I was much younger and had gotten my mind blown out by my first Dostoevsky or when Nabokov would give me a hard-on by a simple turn of phrase. Back to the days I could enjoy things more easily.

On a more rational note, the fact that Welcome to the NHK is rather more modern, than say, The Anatomy of Melancholy or the Underground man, along with its simple depiction of depression and its cycles make it a very very interesting book.
>>
I thought it was really dull. I feel like its one of those shows that you have to find really relatable to really enjoy. I couldn't care less about the MC being a lazy faggot.
>>
one of the best anime of the 2000s
>>
File: camus_toc.png (76KB, 451x609px) Image search: [Google]
camus_toc.png
76KB, 451x609px
Btw, if you're going through some kind of existential crisis and don't want to end up like Satou, I highly suggest Camus' Myth of Sisyphus, particularly if you're not a lot into philosophy or literature as it's a rather simple text.

It deals with that "life will always be shit" premise of the ending in a slightly more positive note. Some may claim it's naive in its outlook on life, but I've spoken with some very smart people* who had their views on life changed by that book.

* usually old easy-going "wise" guys, as absurdism was very hype in the 50s.
>>
Does this show get any better? I'm 5 episodes and Shinpachi from Gintama is already ruining it for me. I can only take him is small doses.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.