[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Does Everyone Praise Akira So Much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: ZZ16828CD3.jpg (2MB, 3360x2100px) Image search: [Google]
ZZ16828CD3.jpg
2MB, 3360x2100px
I sat down and actually watched it yesterday and it was c+ or b at best some of the scenes (like the bike fight scene) were really fucking cool but the glue that held them together was boring but everyone praises it as one of the greatest anime movies of all time. I don't get it. It wasn't nearly as good as Redline or Ghost in the Shell
>>
>>135287608
Because it looks better than basically anything else, especially in fucking 1986.
>>
Because people don't watch a lot of anime. Some of the animation is pretty decent. But as a whole, the story is pretty fucking retarded and anybody that says the manga is better is a retard. This is easily Otomo's most juvenile work and his comedy is actually a lot better.
>>
>>135287608
It's animation is exceptional, it's got good cinematography and it's not completely incomprehensible. the story kind of works.
It was also the first anime with a decent English language release that was definable as originating in Japan and therefore sparked the availability of anime in the English language, it wasn't 'that' obscure compared to other titles, Ebert talked about it for example. It was the flagship for the scene for years so it gets heaps of praise for being the first.
>>
>>135287608
because all the critical reviews are from the late 80s and 90s that are just regurgitated?
>>
pretty animations & neo steamfag shit
>>
>>135289424
>Ebert talked about it for example

Why does everyone stroke Ebert's dick? He was a cuck. Go watch his review of the south park movie. He completely miss the point of the entire movie.
>>
>>135289542
>neo steamfag shit

What does this mean?
>>
>>135290124
it means the poster you quote is unable to differentiate between cyber punk, which Akira qualifies as, and steampunk.
>>
>>135287699
>especially in fucking 1986.

This. Animation was extremely limited in the 80s.

The 1970s had a bit of a push for "mature" cartoons but they did not age well. After heavy metal movie there was not a lot out there.

Pre-Akira "mature" cartoons for people such as myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnQ7Dlk_Ks

Suddenly akira appeared at the local video store and people were blown away. Normalfags rallied around it. You would go to a house part and someone would throw on akira for background noise. It was different enough and violent enough to keep peoples attention even though most of the casuals had no idea what it was even about.

It is also the reason every video store in north America set up an entire rack or section dedicated to "japanimation".

It changed the entire industry overnight. It moved anime out of the LD specialty shops and mail order catalogs and into blockbuster video.
>>
CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>135287608
It is a really good looking 80s anime film.
>>
>>135287608

Animation and OST. It's better than Redline in both aspects, particularly the second one.
>>
>>135291788
I guess that's more subjective. I personally thought Redline was a better looking and sounding movie but that's just a matter of opinion.
>>
>>135291922

Akira may have the best OST out of any anime, and Redline isn't even a contender. The ambiance, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5r8ONtacw
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.