[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't mean this as shitposting, I don't browse /a/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

File: 00006.m2ts.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
00006.m2ts.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I don't mean this as shitposting, I don't browse /a/ that often and this is a sincere question

Is there a reason that a lot of anime views Americans as the enemy, bungling blowhards, or a big brother (1984) type entity? I would guess it can be traced back to the ending of WWII but I'm sure you guys know more than me.

Pic somewhat related.
>>
>>135254246
>I don't browse /a/ that often
Fuck off.
>>
>>135254388
Thanks for the input
>>
I've seen much more comedic gaijins than asshole gaijins in anime

what shows are you talking about?
>>
>>135254586
Comedic would fall under "bungling blowhards"
>>
>>135254246
>Is there a reason that a lot of anime views Americans as the enemy, bungling blowhards, or a big brother (1984) type entity?
That's just how the rest of the world sees America. Its not just Japan.
>>
Probably a combination of Japan's long history of xenophobia and hatred towards foreigners, stereotypes, and just having characters that are silly foreigners who don't know what they're doing for comic relief. Every country does it, it's not just Japan. And I don't necessarily think it's just America, either.
>>
>>135254654
I could see that. America has made some really awful international moves since the 90s.

>>135254832
That's true, I never thought about it that way. About respective countries and attitudes towards others I mean.
>>
>>135254654
>That's just how the rest of the world sees America. Its not just Japan.
Yep.
America had been doing a lot of shady things in the last few generations that were under-reported at home but well publicised abroad. Non-Americans know exactly why Americans are hated, but Americans have no clue because they were not told what was done in their name.
>>
>>135254892
>>NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fuck off.
>>
>>135254957
I don't think many Americans are happy with some decisions that were made within the last few decades, either. Exactly what haven't Americans heard about that makes them hated?
>>
>>135255027
Make me fagotron.
>>
>>135255065
I would also like to know this considering I am American.

I know the stereotypes are true enough sometimes. There are plenty of fat, obnoxiously loud, and disgusting people. But there's also the opposite.
>>
>>135255065
>I don't think many Americans are happy with some decisions that were made within the last few decades, either. Exactly what haven't Americans heard about that makes them hated?
Quite simply, Americans are not taught in school what their government is up to. The "greatness of America" is basically what is taught, much like the dictatorships in Asia. Pledge of Allegiance? That shit is frightening to see and hear from the foreign perspective.

Further, what makes it worse is actually because America is a democracy. By its very nature, everything the government has done is the American population's fault. It doesn't matter if you didn't vote, or didn't think it matters who you vote for. Either way you still take the blame for the actions of your government because you STILL voted, even not voting counts. And it doesn't matter if it was all done in secret because it is STILL your government.
>>
>>135255300
>Exactly what haven't Americans heard about that makes them hated?
>>
>>135255300
That's not really what's taught in schools. It's a blend of "America is really great, but we fuck up a lot too". The daily Pledge is a patriotic holdover from the Cold War.

America is a representative democracy with a heavy bureaucracy. Decisions made by appointed bureaucrats are out of the hands of the people.

Congress on the other hand is the opposite story. It's almost funny. Congress has a 14% approval rating but over 80% incumbency.

In other words it's more complicated than it looks. There's a lot of factors at play.
>>
>>135255300
>Quite simply, Americans are not taught in school what their government is up to. The "greatness of America" is basically what is taught
Are you American?
Have you been in school in the last 10 years?
>>
>>135255367
>>Exactly what haven't Americans heard about that makes them hated?
Americans hear but not believe. Trumps "Make America Great Again" is basically "make America throw its way around ruling over other nations and making them subservient, like how we used to do."

Many Americans WANT to make America Great. They just don't achnoledge that it involves making foreigners suffer.
>>
>>135255425
>In other words it's more complicated than it looks. There's a lot of factors at play.
In other words American citizens continue to benefit from the nation's foreign policies while complaining about it once in a while. Because voters don't actually mind evil if it means it benefits them in some way. The second the perks are gone the government would be replaced. Verbal complaints are just that, it doesn't change governments.
>>
Do you know the amount of democracy America bombed between 1950 and 1990, and the amount of dictatorship it instated? Sometimes in the same move?

That's why. You are probably hugely ignorant of the history of your country, and the amount of people killed because an American president decided that a democracy was less predictable than a dictatorship (this is strictly true, btw). South America and Middle East remember, amongst other random countries like Greece.
>>
>>135255489
Americans have not benefitted from American foreign policy in over a century, anon.
>>
File: Arnold-map-Japan-firebombing[1].jpg (578KB, 2443x846px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold-map-Japan-firebombing[1].jpg
578KB, 2443x846px
>>135254246
yeah gee i wonder why
>>
>>135255566
Do not start wars you cannot win
>>
>>135255300
>America is a democracy
lol
>>
>>135255137
Americans are famous for being die-hard puritans in just about any facet of their culture. There is no culture of moderation in America, that's why American food is twice the size of anywhere else, your brand of politics is scary to behold, an American SJW or Bible Beater outdoes almost any other kind.
America is the only Western country I can think of that initiated a prohibition on alcohol, and still has an age limit of 21 for drinking. Stubborn puritanism is so central to American thinking that a civil war had to be fought before you'd join the rest of the developed world and give up slavery.
Generally, this means that America is viewed as a volatile bunch of opinionated radicals with more influence over the world stage than they should be trusted with. America hasn't been afraid to push it's agenda in the past, and the effects of this have caused havoc for a lot of people. Most weaker countries simply have to hope that they aren't next.
>>
>>135255625
There's so much /int/-tier knowledge in this post I don't even know where to begin to start correcting you

Or if that's even worth my time
>>
>>135255589
Yet america keeps making that mistake
>war of 1812
>Korea
>Vietnam
>Afghanistan
>Iraq war
>war on drugs
>>
>>135254246
American politics involves "spreading freedom on other countries."

Like what the fuck?
>>
>>135255675
I don't know, man. Can you even compare those "defeats" to Japan and Germany losing WW2?
>>
File: Detroit-Hiroshima[1].png (1MB, 880x608px) Image search: [Google]
Detroit-Hiroshima[1].png
1MB, 880x608px
>>135255738
>>
>>135255773
Japan doesn't have a large nigger population. Also that doesn't answer my question.

If it wasn't abundantly clear, I'll ask you again.

Do you think the U.S. has suffered an amount structural and economic damage equal or greater to that of Germany and Japan at the end of World War 2?
>>
File: 1449885397670.jpg (117KB, 2100x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1449885397670.jpg
117KB, 2100x1320px
Obligatory make America great again.
>>
File: KayAmerihat.jpg (138KB, 683x800px) Image search: [Google]
KayAmerihat.jpg
138KB, 683x800px
Define a lot, OP.
I can think of twice as many heroic examples of heroic/cute Americans.
>>
>>135255865
>Didn't believe in Eugenics and racial purity
>Kept its nigger population around

Reap what you sow.
>>
>>135255893
What about her subordinate that cheats to win?
>>
>>135255970
And then Kay halved her odds to be fair. I don't think it was even cheating, since spying and the like is also allowed.
>>
>>135255773
Nice cherrypicking, Double-Dubs.
>>
take this to >>>/pol/
>>
File: oh no!.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
oh no!.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>135255367
well, keeping operation ajax as a point of reference as simply the tip of the iceberg, we were the ones that put saddam hussein in power. we armed and trained the taliban. the "arab spring" -that was us, too. and look what it got us. Muammar Gaddafi was the only guy keeping ISIS from running amok. we went out of our way to remove him from power, and the vaccuum destabilized the region all over again. and what's really crazy is that while isis is based in syria, they're funded by the saudis. and we pay the saudis to pretend to be our friends -we're actually supplying isis.

have you noticed that we have bases in just about every strategic position on the globe? we have several air and naval bases in japan and italy, air and army in germany -but we'd be foaming at the mouth in sick rage is another country built a base on our soil.

and that's to say nothing of the way some of our tourists/servicemembers have represented our country. i'm pretty sure the japanese word for "US Marine" in okinawa is "rapist."

it's not a republican/democrat thing. i love the shit out of my country, but i'm not going to pretend it's government isn't a monster.
>>
>>135256259
regarding image, it's an E2-C Hawkeye. Featured in Jungle De Ikou, the emblem on the right is of VAW-115. They're based out of Atsugi, but operated from the USS Kitty Hawk when it was berthed in Yokosuka. Kitty Hawk moved back to the west coast and got itself decommed and mothballed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAW-115
featured in an anime. kind of cool.
>>
>>135255893
I can only think of a few.

Good:
Lelouch for example.
Asuka is 1/4 American technically.
Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate is kinda American.

Yet nearly anytime there is an unnamed American he is a massive tool + the government is nearly always antagonizing Japan.
>>
File: 1433625818980.jpg (814KB, 1800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1433625818980.jpg
814KB, 1800x1000px
Me on the top right
>>
>>135256259
We have been pretty bad too much of the world, but America has largely been really strong allies to the Japanese and Europeans since after World War II ended.
>>
>>135256531
Doesn't cover the fact that you're still doing shit to other countries just because they don't agree with your country's interest.
>>
File: KanukaClancy.png (710KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
KanukaClancy.png
710KB, 960x720px
>>135256490
Can't really think of any specific examples of bad guys actually.
>>
File: 1421343889182.png (2MB, 1088x768px) Image search: [Google]
1421343889182.png
2MB, 1088x768px
>>
>>135254246
>Is there a reason that a lot of anime views Americans as the enemy
Jesus Christ before you make thread, at least learn to lurk more. This apply to any board.
>>
>>135255954
Hitler got inspired by America's eugenics program. Plenty of retards were sterilized against their will and Planned Parenthood was created to kill as many blacks in the womb as possible.
>>
File: beerhead.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
beerhead.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>135256531
While that is true, politics are a murky thing overall. Without getting too far into it, i can tell you with absolute certainty that they'd like us a lot more if they didn't have to look at us every day. While I was stationed over there, a sailor robbed a pachinko parlor with an airsoft gun, another sailor stole a taxi, yet another somehow climbed or rappelled into a second story apartment of an old japanese national for the sake of burglary and ended up getting an assault charge thrown in there on top of it when the old dude inside didn't have cash. This all happened within the span of a month while i was there. This on top of my fellow servicemen generally being a nuisance by mistaking PET bottle recycle bins as regular trash, getting too rowdy and trashing bars, etc. Different society, different cultural norms. You and I would try to be unobtrusive and respectful. Most of the good ol' boy normies we serve with simply forget the world is much bigger in scope than the tip of their own nose. Combine that with alchohol and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The JNs were pretty good about it, though. They schedule their protests in advance, chant their slogans peacefully, then leave when their alloted time is up. Weekly, like clockwork. I rather liked that they can voice their opinion without throwing bricks and looting convenience stores.
>>
File: 1443505074278.jpg (835KB, 986x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443505074278.jpg
835KB, 986x1000px
>>135256853
>Most of the good ol' boy normies we serve with simply forget the world is much bigger in scope than the tip of their own nose

I think most don't forget, just a few. Unfortunately, America is huge, so I guess it's expected that the bad ones will stand out strongly to the Japanese. Although I went to a private school in a rich area, and go to a good engineering school so maybe it's not the best sampling.

I just want to be loved by the Japanese anon :'(
>>
File: 1449528568600.png (1MB, 2037x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1449528568600.png
1MB, 2037x1440px
>>135256657
RIP ;_;
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.