[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on the current state of the anime industry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

File: Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg (51KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hayao_Miyazaki.jpg
51KB, 356x500px
What are your thoughts on the current state of the anime industry?
>>
It's not as bad as people make it out to be, I only wish less adaptation more originals.
>>
It needs more Ghibli
>>
the fanbase is cancer but they have to keep appeasing cancer to stay alive
>>
Its great, they've churned out quite a lot of shows that i've enjoyed
>>
>>134941684
>perfect facial hair
>dimples
>black eyebrows white everything else

Miyazaki is aesthetic as fuck for an old nip.
>>
It's too perverted. Apparently nothing sells without lewd.
>>
>>134941684
I simultaneously want it to make more things that normalfags would like but I don't want more normalfags to like anime.
>>
>>134941684
I wish we had more 2 cour seasons and quality anime-original projects. I'm also worried about more and more implication of full CG anime.
>>
This board is pretty much everything wrong with the anime industry

>weeaboos/neets/otakus are too emotionally immature to understand the human condition
>they fixate on moeshit/waifushit/lolishit due to their autism/antisocial disorder/virginity
>but they are also the main demographic and the industry must cater to them because their disposable neetbucks is what's funding them in the first place
>anime can never evolve as an artform because of this

it's a vicious circle
>>
>>134941684
We would be better off if threads about it were banned on the grounds that they're shitposting hellholes.
>>
>>134945014
Fuck off normie
>>
Needs more samurai shows but it probably star all girls wearing very little. Anime industry and japan need a shot of testosterone.
>>
>>134941684
doing better than the gaming industry,

if that's even a good thing
>>
It's pretty good, could use more SoL/comedy and less LN battle acamdey harems though.
>>
Miyazaki perfectly called it, and we won't understand that until we see the fruits that the anime industry will yield later on.

>>134945133
Is it too much to ask for both?
>>
too much pandering to man and women children. I understand your life sucks, but that doesn't mean you have to ruin everyone else's life too.
>>
I enjoyed ongoing anime this season.
Some anime are really short though (only 4 minutes), like Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan.
Fix that to 30 minutes episode and that will be great.
>>
>>134945076

you sound like some wide eyed kid from reddit who's just discovered anime and joined his high school's anime club

It's so easy to tell how much of a naive underage newfag you are.

By the time you've spent 10 years on this board you'll be just as jaded.
>>
>>134941753
>It's not as bad as people make it out to be
heh
>>
>>134945014
>muh art
Eat rocks you pretentious loser.
>>
It was a mistake.
>>
>>134945260
They aren't ruining anything, you need to buy more BDs fag
>>
>>134941684
That they'll grow out of being cheap-ass tightwads and start making more beautifully creative anime like they used to back in the 90's instead of most of the trashy harem or LN shit we got now.
>>
>>134945014
yeah i know right when are they gonna start making good anime again

t. every generation of anime "fan" since the 70s
>>
File: 1423878967878.gif (164KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1423878967878.gif
164KB, 320x240px
Cool bait thread OP I see you already got a bunch of fedora tipping apes to bite

>>134945694
>>134945382
>>134945260
>>134945203
>>134945014
>>134944780
>>134942112
>>134942085
>>
There's too much anime being produced right now, so naturally the quality of it declines overall. It's not like 80's anime were much better, but because there was less being made, more people were given good opportunities to hone their skills, and that lead to more talented individuals getting recognized and trained.

Now, it isn't even about talent anymore so much as whose name (i.e. Urobuchi) Aniplex can slap on a PV to sell to some Otaku.
>>
>>134941684
fanbase becoming cancerous as we speak

shameless pandering

too much adaptations of low quality works

so pretty much a shadow of it's former self
>>
>>134945767
>because there was less being made, more people were given good opportunities to hone their skills
You lost me.
>>
File: 1450383065496.jpg (29KB, 283x357px) Image search: [Google]
1450383065496.jpg
29KB, 283x357px
>Bad manga adaptions
>LNs getting adaptions period
>>
An animation industry incapable of producing a work of the same caliber as Cowboy Bebop can just burn to the ground for all I care.

Seriously, anime is dead.
>>
Too many works looking to Evangelion for inspiration when it's trash. Directors need to let go of the past and move forward with more original creative works. The industry is headed for death at this point. Film and video games will follow suit soon in the impending crash.
>>
>>134945014

Real talk. This anon knows what's up.
>>
>>134946192
Most anime these days is outsourced to other Asian countries, so there's very few Japanese animators getting proper industry experience and being trained from the remaining number of veterans. And if you are talented enough to jump into animating, don't expect to make a living out of it.

The Koreans are Chinks are outright destroying Japan when it comes to skilled animators right now.
>>
>>134946387
>anime

animation, I mean
>>
>>134946387
That's in-betweens, anon, and almost none of the outsourced animators doing that stuff are any good or have any hope or plans of ever becoming more than that. And underpay has literally been a thing for decades.
>>
I want less battle academy harems.
>>
>>134946387
>The Koreans are Chinks are outright destroying Japan when it comes to skilled animators right now.
Give me names of young, new-to-the-industry Koreans, Chinks, and Japs that show this.
>>
>>134941684
Japs seems to be trying to limit the exposure of it outside Japan. Sending takedowns a lot and capturing "pirates" this year would probably hamper the growth of the market outside Japan in the coming year because no one knows what animes are about. No one is willing to buy an untested product. Specially in this economy.

It seems they are trying to force it to be something like video games: you won't know if you like it unless you buy it, which is similar to wasting money. Jewery seems to be the top concern of the anime producers. But this will probably hurt them more.

They should at least let piracy thrive to some degree where it would equate to free advertising.
>>
>>134946516
> It seems they are trying to force it to be something like video games: you won't know if you like it unless you buy it
But there are suboptimal free versions of most of the legal streaming sources, aren't there?
>>
>>134946432
>That's in-betweens, anon

Not anymore. A lot of key animations nowadays are done out of Japan. Of course, you're not going to notice it unless you look at the credits of every episode in an anime. Underpay has indeed always been a thing, but there was also a chance for promotion back then, because animators kept coming in. Now, a key animator is going to get stuck as being a key animator for the rest of their career (due to their skill and the necessity for it to be used at that level) and not become a director or AD unless they are exceptionally talented or have god connections.
>>
>>134946512
I don't need to, you can check the end credits of any episode of anime nowadays to see them all listed.
>>
i like moeshit, harem, and all the shitshows. but what i like the most is how the characters are drawn compared to the past and animated
>>
>>134946595

a simple well done walk cycle is rare to find these days.
>>
>>134946562
> a key animator is going to get stuck as being a key animator for the rest of their career
This seems a little difficult, considering the veterans currently doing AD will start aging out at some point.

>>134946579
I'm not about to go and check through the credits of various anime to find animators of different nationalities and then look up various cuts from each of them and compare them to see who the best ones are and how they compare between nationalities, just to tell whether what you're saying is true, when you've already got that information for me and could tell me. This isn't me asking to be spoonfed some obvious thing, this is fairly specialized and in-depth information that would take a stupid amount of time to get on my own.
>>
>>134946557
Sorry, I should have made it clear I included manga and light novels.

But yes, you are right, at least for anime and manga.

I wish there's something like Crynchuroll Light Novels. With the recent debacle with BT I'm sad I won't be able to read DAL anymore.
>>
File: 5c4.gif (128KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
5c4.gif
128KB, 600x337px
>>134941684

otaku will be the death of anime
>>
If we purge all otakus then anime can be saved.
>>
>>134946648
If anime is to be believed Japanese store owners don't seem to mind people just loitering around their shop for hours with their noses in books they haven't purchased yet.
>>
There's no passion, no one's out to make a good show just a quick cash grab for the season.
>>
File: 1442330638903.jpg (51KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
1442330638903.jpg
51KB, 500x668px
Series need more emotion and more grit. Dont get me wrong, i like me some tiddies. But i want some story with dem tiddies
>>
>>134941684

This man is completely right about everything about the industry. Him and Anno and Oshii. Even if the industry survives financially the industry will lose all sense of creativity and soul in order to compete in the otaku market. If you think he's wrong you're part of the problem that's killing anime.
>>
>>134945014
This tbqph senpai
>>
>>134946641
>This seems a little difficult, considering the veterans currently doing AD will start aging out at some point.

If they do, it's not going to be until another 10 or 20 years, because people don't age that quickly. Nips are workaholics who will slave away at their job until they're at least 60. Most ADs in the anime industry right now are only in their 30's and 40's. A lot of shit can change within the next 20 or 30 years, but as it is now, promotions are far less common for animators than what it used to be. And who knows if hand-drawn anime will even be a thing anymore by then.

>>134946641
>This isn't me asking to be spoonfed some obvious thing

Yes it is. If you can't even take the time to notice people like Jae Myung Yoo or Clover Xie, then it's not my problem. If you can't take the time to look over the credits of an anime, then don't bother at all.
>>
>>134947116
Miyazaki does the same shit for every movie and Anno has rehashed one franchise for twenty years, and they're talking about "creativity," really?
>>
>52 replies
>33 posters
kill yourself samefagging OP
>>
It's actually funny cause a lot of nostalgia hipsters reckon that anime should be made like back in "much 70s" or 80s or 90s, and Anno reckons it was dead even back then
>>
>>134947160
I don't know who Clover Xie is, but Jae Myung Yoo isn't up-and-coming. If we're talking forty-to-fifty-year-olds, anime has plenty of people who run circles around him, even when he's doing American shit with retardedly huge budgets.
>>
A creatively bankrupt medium used to promote other more successful mediums.
>>
File: 1450280003956.jpg (55KB, 647x620px) Image search: [Google]
1450280003956.jpg
55KB, 647x620px
Don't pander to fantasy harem loving assholes

this decision would change anime so much it's not even funny
>>
>>134945767
Actually the number of series per season has actually been on the decline. There was some blog post or chart looking at it awhile back.
>>
>>134947312
>retardedly huge budgets.

The last season of TLoK had almost no budget and was forced to be streamed online, and it still looks better than most super high-budget anime nowadays like Attack on Titan.

Those two names were just the first examples that popped up in my head, if you want to look for other people to analyze, look at some ending credits for yourself and do your own research.
>>
>>134947382
Yeah it would go bankrupt
>>
>>134947401
Maybe compared to the last couple of years, but it's still way more than your average season from the 80's to early 2000's.
>>
>>134947451
I'll probably forget about this conversation when I wake up, honestly, but whatever. It just seems hyperbolic to say that Korea and China are destroying Japan's young animators when your first example is a middle-aged guy who's not on par with the top Japanese middle aged guys (at least, I assume you'd concede he's below people like Okiura and Honda).
>>
>>134945014
good post
>>
>>134947688
You can stop replying to yourself now
>>
>>134947451
> The last season of TLoK had almost no budget and was forced to be streamed online
That was because they cut the budget unexpectedly, but I'm almost sure it still cost more than SnK, because the industries have vastly different cost standards.
>>
File: no (1).jpg (64KB, 508x378px) Image search: [Google]
no (1).jpg
64KB, 508x378px
>>134947721
>everybody who disagrees with my opinion is the same person
that's just silly
>>
Moe Shit.
>>
>>134945014
>tumblr wanting anime to "evolve" into an artform like video games and create their own SWJ platform like they did Undertale

No. Get out.
>>
>>134947830
>the IP count is staying the same by magic
(You)
>>
>>134947900
Stop talking about Undertale, holy shit. If you think it shouldn't be popular then don't bring it up whenever you see the slightest chance.
>>
>>134947952
Then please, for the love of god, don't EVER mention anime evolving into an art form. It's good as it is.
>>
>>134941684
It's pretty great. Plenty of original series, more well animated TV series than ever before, shit tons of adaptations, a good number of decent movies, ovas & other one shot series are being released, and CGI is starting to not look like utter shit.

But I'm sure neo-/a/ will say all anime is dead because there are also a number of generic harems getting adapted.
>>
>>134947987
you're delusional if you think generic harem/moeshit #1552 makes the industry "good as it is"
>>
File: 1450166290363.jpg (413KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450166290363.jpg
413KB, 1280x720px
Art is just a shitty buzzword
>>
>>134948104
You are delusional if you think it's bad.
Pandering to people is natural for anime. If you don't like it, fuck off.
>>
File: 1442386252567.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1442386252567.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>134948104
>implying
>>
>>134941684
Anime was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Those who identify as 'otaku', they sicken me deeply.
>>
>>134947998
>Plenty of original series

Not by any means. Adaptations vastly outnumber the original series.
>>
>>134945739
Go back to your moeshit faggot
>>
>>134941684
At least it hasn't been cucked by libruls and SJWs yet like video games and movies
>>
>>134948424
But with the Olympics on the way, who knows.
I just hope the Japs have the gall to say "FUCK OFF GAIJIN PIGGU" when the time comes.
>>
Instead of reading books or studying real art people flock towards entertainment mediums with a smaller barrier of entry to stroke their pseudo-intellectual egos. This ruined videogames. All the things you might dislike about otaku and their preferences were considered creative and original at one point.
>>
>>134948368
What's up /v/? Play any good games lately?
>>
File: 1394614939068.jpg (52KB, 472x530px) Image search: [Google]
1394614939068.jpg
52KB, 472x530px
Japan still lacks the brains to do good originals and leave behind really old cliches.
>>
>>134948564
>implying /v/ plays games
>>
People actually ruining anime:
>miserable old fucks like Miyazaki who refuse to try and fix it or nurture new talent
>moepigs and fujoshi who buy anything just because it's got cute girls/guys in it
>MAL /v/edditors who think they're better than the moepigs because their favorite anime is "mature" (i.e. just as badly written as moeshit but edgy instead of cute)
>people who don't support good anime they like (I'm guilty of this too)
>>
>>134948765
People actually ruining anime:
>Everyone

ftfy
Good anime fanbase is an oxymoron
>>
>>134941753
I wish for more originals that don't have shitty writers.
>>
>>134948765
Define ruin.
>>
They're pandering to the wrong people. all of this otaku shit is sickening
>>
>>134945014

>anime
>artform

Mah sides.
>>
>>134946387
>The Koreans are Chinks are outright destroying Japan when it comes to skilled animators right now.
Haven't really noticed any of them 'animating' but I have been checking out a lot of those kids coming out of the Korean animation schools and holy shit can they draw. They seem to get really drilled in the basics.
>>
Probably too many shows are competing for shrinking audience $$$. With streaming becoming bigger in Japan more shows will be created, while sales from physical media will likely shrink.
>>
>>134949555
Doesn't matter really. Most money nowadays comes from merchandise. Blu-Ray/DVD sales are likely to become a thing of the past soon given the rise of streaming. Japan just needs a netflix service to capitalise on potential profits.
>>
File: consider.jpg (28KB, 382x333px) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
28KB, 382x333px
>>134941684
I think there are general narrative tendencies I am not very fond of that are being used too much:
Most series take place in a highschool, most protagonists are adolescents.
Most shows use a variance of two or three pre established settings. You know, the way mecha shows most of the time are either about beta-kun or about space politics(or both). The way so many stories end up falling on a harem structure.
I think romance suffers a lot because, in 99% of the cases, they are not stories about real relationships, they are stories about how two people get to kiss each other. I'm cool with a show like that once in a while(for example, Spice and Wolf is pretty great), but come on, it is pathetic that, out of all romance focused anime that come out, the one that has managed a real relationship best is freaking monogatari. I mean, if, with two scenes every twenty episodes, they embarass shows that devote to that, then something isn't working.
I think action series, a lot of the time, are forced. You don't need to have all of this epic music and sequences if your show is about something completely different(see. the Parasyte adaptation, the FMA reboot, the Berserk movies). The way LN-tier stuff force super powers onto the protagonist is also lame.
And I think full on melodrama writing in anime is fucking stupid. The Mari Okada-Jun Maeda-VN shit. You have like one good melodrama(WA2) and I think that's it. The rest overplay and force the sad moments, focusing on overblown tragedy and people crying.

That said, there is variety and anime as an audiovisual medium is still VERY interesting. Even though 2015 kinda sucked, we still get great proyects every year. Mushishi, Space Dandy, Barakamon, Shirobako,Shinsekai Yori, Psycho Pass, Uchouten Kazoku, there are plenty. We could have more. I think that one positive thing would be to have more adaptations of actual novels, written outside of the otaku bubble. Animation is perfect for doing that kind of stuff.
>>
>>134950137
If you have less people and more choices the money in all merch they buy will be split between more shows. So except for a huge hit like a One Piece smaller total sales in everything. Streaming networks will start creating shows to attract customers. Japan has at least eight starting or already operating including netflix.
>>
File: 1447225373685.gif (1MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1447225373685.gif
1MB, 540x304px
I wish Keit-Ai would find a way.
>>
>>134941684
A stagnating unimaginative shit.
>>
It's definitely getting worse over time. Not sure why people cling to the "it's not as bad as they say it is!" excuse as if that somehow changes things.
>>
>>134951867
Me too.

Just imagine the shitstorm.
>>
>>134941684
Its god awful.
In the passed ten years I've only watched one anime that turned out to be good and it was based on a mobile card game.
>>
>>134941684
Stagnatic shit. In 10 years we will have Hollywood 2.0
>>
>>134948765
You just listed everyone including yourself and /a/
>>
Anime industry is absolute dogshit it has been for decades. It will never change and anime will always be shit.
Next question.
>>
>>134950271
Wow, that's frighteningly accurate.

how do you think action series can stray away from that god awful 1 dimensional direction though? Fuck, even 3dpd action movies are subject to the same fucking problem.
>>
>>134945014
There's no need for anime to "evolve".
The tools that are needed to make interesting content are there no matter for what the majority of creators use them.
>>
>>134952667
Anime has evolved though.
>>
>>134951867
It did. In my heart.
>>
Moe and CGDCT is the pinnacle of entertainment and thus the industry is doing very well.
>>
>>134952696
You're missing the point senpai.
>>
>>134951867
>another introspective Shinkai long distance romance between high schoolers borefest

Keit-Ai is part of the problem, not the solution.
>>
>>134941684
large amounts of repetitive garbage designed to serve purely as fanservice and then if you put in a little effort and dig there's still good things going on outside of that like there always has been and will be

pretty similar to any entertainment industry anywhere at any time, television, music, literature, anything really
>>
>>134952622
The issue, imo, is the prevalence of 'edgyness' and pretentious-technical dialogue over having honest stories about people. I also think there are too many masturbatory self insert shows, that will probably never change(because people really like them), but it could, at least, slow down a bit.
>>
>>134951867
Threadly reminder that you should stop posting that because it's a thing.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 827x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 827x1050px
>>134952828
>moe
>pinnacle of entertainment

Honestly, you CANNOT be fucking serious
>>
I want more ballin movies and OVAs, this seasonal crap is not interesting at all.
>>
It's mostly shit.
>>
File: 019.gif (353KB, 345x337px) Image search: [Google]
019.gif
353KB, 345x337px
Its all the same shit. Trends come and go.
>>
>>134950271
This I'm so jaded if the prognostic is young 12 to 17 is or it takes place in any sort of school setting I don't even give it a chance at this point
>>
>>134951867
>>134953927

Like clockwork.
>>
>>134947987
>It's good as it is.
>generic harem/moeshit

Fuck off, weeaboo.
>>
>>134955241
What are you gonna do about it /v/?
>>
>>134947987
>le only pretentious close minded critics can decide what is and what isn't art meme
Come on m8, wisen up.
>>
>>134955241
>willing watching anime for things that other mediums do better
You are the weeb here senpai
>>
File: awaken my masters.jpg (190KB, 825x886px) Image search: [Google]
awaken my masters.jpg
190KB, 825x886px
JoJo spin off based on the adventures of the Pillarmen when? They were my favorite part of the series.
>>
It's great. I have so many cartoons to watch that I will never run out until I die.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.