[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CLASSIC ANIME FANS! I found an anime I'm certain I would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

File: maruko.png (1MB, 1000x741px) Image search: [Google]
maruko.png
1MB, 1000x741px
CLASSIC ANIME FANS! I found an anime I'm certain I would love: Chibi Maruko-Chan. Despite being from the 90s and extremely popular in Japan, there is no English subbed version of the 142 episode series. One of the movies got subbed and that's how I came across it. So I'm here for recommendations from others who enjoy classic anime! I really like the art style of this show. One of my favorite series of all time is Urusei Yatsura. Maison Ikkoku was good too, but not as eccentric or slice of life as I would have liked. School life is a must. No recommendation is too obvious since there's a whole lot I haven't seen or heard of.

Also general classic anime thread!
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
I have the gameboy game of this
>>
File: gameboy game.jpg (89KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
gameboy game.jpg
89KB, 1080x720px
found it
>>
>>134923859
Maybe try watching some of the World Masterpiece Theatre shows like Anne of Green Gables? It was directed by Isao Takahata and Miyazaki worked on it too before they went on to found Ghibli.
>>
>>134924213
This is a spot-on recommendation! Akage no An is also one of my all-time favorites. I've tried other World Masterpiece Theater animes but never really got into them, besides 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother. I liked that one enough. I'll research them some more.
>>
chibi maruko chan actually has way more episodes than 142, like a thousand, and is still airing in japan
>>
>>134924377
I really liked Akage no Anne and 3000 Leagues too. I have seen quite a few of the others as well. Princess Sara is good if a bit overly depressing sometimes, A Dog of Flanders was decent and is considered a huge classic in Japan everybody knows about, My Daddy Long Legs was good, interesting to see an anime set in NYC. Other similair things that aren't WMT that might be worth trying like Nobody's Boy Remi or Dezaki's Treasure Island.
>>
>>134924843
You are thinking of Sazae-san.
>>
When modern anime starts drawing on cell, anime will be good again. It's a crying shame that it's more convenient for it to be animated digitally these days.
>>
>>134925016
Did traditional animation ever get more expensive than it originally was, or was computer animation just so much cheaper that they couldn't compete in terms of profits?
>>
>>134925131
You don't have to worry about running out of ink for starters.
>>
>>134925016
But hardly any anime is digitally animated, it's mostly all still hand drawn. Do you even know anything about the industry?
>>
>>134925131
Little bit of both. Unless you put selling the cells into the equation but then you also have to put cell thieves into account.
>>
>>134925212
People are stupid and like to express opinions on subjects they are completely ignorant of when anonymous. What can you expect.
>>
>>134925212
>hardly any anime is digitally animated
It's not CGI, but it isn't truly non-digital traditional animation. It's a heavy hybrid. That poster is dumb for sure, but he isn't technically wrong, since they don't have animation cells anymore.
>>
>>134923859
I really want to watch Chibi Maruko.
>>
>>134925308
>he
>>
>>134925131
That guy is full of shit. Most anime is still hand drawn and animated. It's just digitally colored and rendered now, so it has a more sterile and clean feeling in the lines and colors, without any of the grain or imperfections you saw in older productions.

The cost is about weighing short term vs long term benefits. Short term, full digital production will cost them more because they will have to pay for new computers, new tablets, new software, and likely training for old employees or just new employees to replace them. But long term it will save them money because it dramatically reduces the cost of labor, since you will need fewer animators working fewer hours to do the same amount of work. Also it reduces overhead since you won't consume nearly as much paper, penciles, or ink during production.
>>
>>134925315
But not more than you want to shitpost on /a/?
>>
>>134925308
Almost all animation for anime is done by hand with pencil and paper and then scanned in. The painting and such may be digital but not the animation, animation being digital is exceptional not standard.
>>
>>134925308
No, he's totally wrong. Anime is still drawn and animated painstakingly by hand. It's scanned using a digital scanner and then colored and rendered with software, but the actual drawings and animation is done the same as always.

The only thing you're complaining about is that modern coloring and scanning eliminates imperfections.
>>
>>134924856
The opening theme to 3000 Leagues is one of my favorite songs ever. Princess Sara actually captures my interest the most out of everything you mentioned. I've been pretty set on slice of traditional Japanese home/school life since seeing the Maruko-Chan movie, (it also seems to have its own eccentric "spice" like Urusei Yatsura, which might be an ineffable magical ingredient I'm searching for) but I do very much enjoy anime that takes place in "olden times" like Anne and most of your recommendations do.
>>
>>134925358
That's what I said, It isn't CGI, but it isn't non-digital traditional animation. It's traditional animation using digital tools.

>>134925397
>The only thing you're complaining about is that modern coloring and scanning eliminates imperfections.
I wasn't complaining. I just said he wasn't wrong that they don't use cels anymore. That really doesn't have any effect on the quality unless you use the "if it costs more they'll put more effort into it" argument which is bullshit anyways because they make what they think will sell regardless.
>>
>>134925468
>Princess Sara
Be prepared to watch a young girl suffer unfair cruelty, the show honestly can be somewhat relentless and made me feel like total shit some times such that I found it hard to keep watching. Marco had some parts like that though.
>>
>>134925531
>it isn't non-digital traditional animation
Yes it is. Do you even read?
>It's traditional animation using digital tools
It's not animated digitally. Literally 3 different people have told you this yet you still keep saying blatantly wrong things.
>I just said he wasn't wrong that they don't use cels anymore
Yes he was wrong, and so are you because as you have been told already cels are still used in anime production.
>>
>>134925531
No you are getting confused and thinking of the whole production process as "animation". When I and other people here talk about animation we are talking about the drawings that move when placed sequentially. The animation is all done with pencil and paper. Anime is almost entirely made up of traditional hand drawn animation. Some minority of animators and shows use digital animation where animators use tablets to draw directly onto computers and cut out the paper and scanning. The clean-up, coloring process, post-production and photography are now digital though.
>>
>>134925531
Coloring on computers =/= digital animation. The actual drawings and animations are all done by hand, on paper. And yes, they use cels for this, but the advantage of modern technology is that cels can be saved digitally and reused easily for later episodes, removing the need for redundant work in a production.
>>
>>134925016 here
sorry for derailing the thread OP
>>
>>134925468
I like Porphy's Journey, even if it's from the late 2000s. As for older shows, I really liked Little Women and Pollyanna as a child. Also, Trapp Family (same story as The Sound of Music).
The one I haven't seen yet is The Bush Baby, but I can't seem to find the subs for it.
Oh and Romeo's Blue Skies, along with Nobody's Girl Remy (Remi-boy is great too, but man was it a bit depressing for a 6 y.o, and the original novel is a good read!)

>>134923859
City Hunter and Lupin III. Maison Ikkoku. Ulysses 31 (not even kidding, even my mom liked it), along with Yamato and Galaxy Express (I don't now why I always lump them together).
Wasn't there also a Robin Hood anime? And one of Vicky the Viking.
>>
>>134925468
By the way I wasn't trying to put you off here >>134925604
It was ultimately a rewarding watch, if difficult at times.
>>
>>134925604
She was best girl, but I really hated it when they treated her like shit and she didn't even fight back.
Also, those bullies, man were they jealous of Sarah.
>>
>>134925468
Oh another more modern show you might want to try that has the same kind of World Masterpiece Theatre orphan girl going on an adventure theme is Ashita no Nadja. She goes all over Europe which is rather interesting kind of like Marco in a way in that she is searching for mother also. It also has some great directors working on it with Mamoru Hosoda doing stand out episodes.
>>
>>134926035
I understand and appreciate it! I think I will be watching this. I actually like a lot of dark heavy stuff too, so depressing isn't an issue for me.
>>
In response to the talk about animation methods/quality over the years: I don't actually know anything about the technical aspects of creating the drawings behind anime, but I do know that a lot of "newer" stuff looks unappealingly "lazy" to me, though with many exceptions. I will say that however Angel's Egg from 1985 (another favorite of mine of a totally different category than what I created the thread for) was created is my ideal way to do it, but really that could be due to any number of factors.
>>
>>134926012
You're a goldmine of olden time child against all odds adventure animes. Given my love for Anne and Marco, I should probably just dive into all this stuff. You're lucky to have seen so much interesting anime as a child. Lupin III is something I've always meant to watch as I'm sure I would love it. I tend to shy away from space/action shows, as my tastes are a little girly, but really it depends on the specific show.

Muh slice of traditional Japanese home/school life comedy.
>>
>>134924164
the pool mini game was the funnest of them all.
>>
>>134926012
Hi, France.
>>
>>134924377
Is that you Achromatopsia?
Why won't you accept my friend requests?
>>
>>134926814
Just got lucky because French tv channels used to air a lot of dubbed old animes. World Masterpiece Theater series, as well as Lupin III for example (he was called Edgar though). Apart from space/action shows (Cobra, Harlock, and so on), there were also slice-of-life romcom old animus: Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura obviously, but also Maison Ikkoku and Haisukūru! Kimengumi (this one is hilarious).
However, MSG was never dubbed, so there was never this huge hype over Gundam Wing, as happened in the us.

But French dubs weren't the best, so I've been rewatching these old shows with subs.
For instance, there was this one anime, called Aishite Night (Lucile, Amour et Rock'n'roll), that took place in Japan, but in the French dub they decided to move the story to France (don't try to ask why there was an okonomiyaki shop in Paris). But when finally one important character came back from France, they changed completely the plot so that suddenly they were back in Japan.
Also, the bad guys sounded like pussies in the french dubs.
>>
File: 1447781382036.jpg (52KB, 540x581px) Image search: [Google]
1447781382036.jpg
52KB, 540x581px
>>134928211
>France
How did you guess it right. >>134928544
>>
>>134923859
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JX0TSaTpXA

You will never get to eat the limited edition Maruko-chan donuts in Japan.
>>
>>134923859
okay OP, your post is cringy as fuck, but I like Maruko and watch her most nights on Animax.
Best episode: the one where she has to hold her pee in all day at school.
In a theory I might be willing to participate in a small subbing project.

Also, Kochikame needs more love. Easily the best anime comedy I've seen (i.e. it has actual jokes).
>>
>>134928659
Not him but if you're talking about your parents liking a show and you're mentioning WMT, you're probably a frog
>>
>>134928659
>>134928761
Especially if that show is Ulysses 31.
>>
>>134923859
Wow this brings back memories

I grew up watching this along with doraemon and some old anime involving a tanuki
>>
>>134928544
Ah, so it's a France thing. Interesting. Urusei Yatsura used to air on KTEH (a local channel in California) every other Sunday night when I was a kid, and it taught me to prefer subbed over dubbed, mainly because of Lum's voice in Japanese. Speaking of which, if you haven't seen the Chibi Maruko-Chan movie (I don't know how many there are but it's the one with the school events, and I think the only Maruko-Chan sub in existence anyway) I suggest you do. Maruko's voice is really cute and hilarious.

Oh, Haisukuru Kimengumi looks very promising! Thank you! I'm going to download it.
>>
>>134928938

doraemon sure was a good anime, along with shin chan

i need to find the old video tapes, mom recorded several animes when she was in japan
>>
>>134928707
If you are a person who has the ability to sub the show please do it. Start with episode 1. I don't understand how this show hasn't been subbed even a little bit.
>>
>>134928792
>Ulysse 31 is a French-Japanese animated television series (1981) - Taken from Wikipedia
Ooh now it makes sense.

>>134928761
Well anon-kun, both my mom and my aunt were die-hard fans of Grendizer (Goldorak) when they were in uni. They still remember the opening's lyrics by heart.
>>
File: MahoujinGuruGuru.jpg (292KB, 743x800px) Image search: [Google]
MahoujinGuruGuru.jpg
292KB, 743x800px
Watched a lot of cantonese dubbed classics as a kid, including maruko-chan.

Highly recommend mahoujin guru guru. Not sure if it's because of nostalgia, but I found the dub better than the original voices.
>>
>>134930433
This reminds me of Akazukin Chacha.
>>
>>134929279
French dubs were really hilarious. I recently rewatched the first dubbed episodes of Dragon Ball, and realized something: Instead of cutting off completely the pervy scenes (mainly between Bulma and Kame-Sennin, but also when Goku found out for the first time that Bulma didn't have a dick), they decided to leave those scenes with the original jap audio. So, sometimes, it'd suddenly change from French to Japanese, with a lot of "pantsu misete" and "hentai" left untranslated.
I'm definitely going to watch it, OP-kun! Just have to get through finals, before treating myself to some Maruko-chan.

Kimengumi kinds of reminds of Osomatsu-san (at least, the current remake). It's got some good gags.
>>
File: dukefleedkouji.png (149KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
dukefleedkouji.png
149KB, 500x375px
>>134930323
>two women are diehard fans of the first tv anime with fujoshi appeal
>>
File: 1448799353523.png (160KB, 359x464px) Image search: [Google]
1448799353523.png
160KB, 359x464px
>>134930679
As a kid I wasn't much self-aware of the fujo-bait (thankfully?).
But man I'd pay to see them fangirling over shirtless Fleed.
>>
File: cj525_Goldfish_Warning.jpg (66KB, 300x432px) Image search: [Google]
cj525_Goldfish_Warning.jpg
66KB, 300x432px
>>134930433
>cantonese dubbed classic

You too?
I still have the DVD set for pic related in Canto.
Real nostalgic.
>>
File: sweater baby.jpg (36KB, 169x377px) Image search: [Google]
sweater baby.jpg
36KB, 169x377px
>>134930980
I'd like to see them shirtless
>>
>>134931071
Goldfish Warning is great, I think you and me might be the only ones to have ever seen it on /a/. I wish the whole series was completely subbed in English. It had pretty much the exact creative team that went on to make Sailor Moon immediately afterwards.
>>
File: 1450488110210.jpg (16KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1450488110210.jpg
16KB, 360x240px
>>134931158
Come on now, anon. You were doing great before falling into your delusions.
>>
Is there a place to get this old shit at all? Would like to chill with some maruko, osomatsu and kocchikame but there's nowhere online actually offering them up
>>
>>134932862
There are episodes here and there subbed about on nyaa and such. There is also https://skarohuntingsociety.wordpress.com/ you won't find any series completely subbed from before the 1970s though. There are some dubbed ones about though..
>>
Who Chink here?
>>
>>134933039
Link appreciated, dude over there is doing god's work. Most of it is a little too old for my tastes though... Not really looking for subtitled content, but even then it's hard to find 90s and earlier content that wasn't brought over to America back in the day. Have considered subtitling some of my favorites if I could find them. Might have to try looking on share and perfect dark again in case some japs decided sharing
>>
>>134923859
maruko a shit
>>
>>134930433
Can you actually find them on the net? I need crap to watch in Cantonese, but I'm getting sick of the same old dramas.
>>
>>134923859
This got an Animax dub though. Maybe someone could try looking for those.
>>
>>134934991
I can't read Chinese, so I haven't been able to find it. Sucks cause I felt like Cantonese really brought out the humor better.
>>
>>134923859
maruko-san when??
>>
>>134925016
drawing Glasslip and Pupa on cel, will not make it good you fucking shit head.

Boku no Pico is drawn on cel, was it good? fuck off
>>
>>134936958
Cantonese is a stupid, dirty language, but damn, if it isn't funny.
>>
File: what're you, a faggot.png (52KB, 560x404px) Image search: [Google]
what're you, a faggot.png
52KB, 560x404px
>>134937867
Yes it was.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.