[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much value do you put into sound direction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: parasyte-16.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
parasyte-16.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
How much value do you put into sound direction?
>>
It's not something I'm usually listening critically for but when it's done really well I appreciate it.
>>
>>134844757
That is also a sentiment I share.
>>
Someone post the Yozakura Quartet sound direction video.
>>
That one generic explosion sound has been getting on my nerves.
>>
I've only ever picked up on it when watching Ghost Hound/Boogiepop/Lain where Tsuruoka Yota is credited as Sound Design on all of them.
So I guess he must be doing a good job.
>>
I'll only pay attention if it is strikingly good or bad. Otherwise it just blends to the background.
Reused or common sound effects get me every time.
>>
A lot.

Nanoha's soundtrack is shitty videogame music-tier but the direction is always spot on.

Re: hospital room scene
>>
There's always that anime that uses that really loud explosion sound effect for everything from gunshots, walls breaking, crashing into stuff; everything except for an actual explosion.
>>
You know, say what you want but UBW had some god tier sound design
>>
>>134845965
Another instance where they use the same sound effect over and over again with the swords. Got really annoying real fast.
>>
>>134845998

Go back and listen to Archer and Lancer's final fight though
>>
>>134846046
Yeah that was was pretty cool, but it still had those samey sound effects. I understand that making new ones each time is really inefficient and not realistic do expect, I just wish they did though.
>>
If you want to know why sound direction is truly important, watch the last episode of the original OVA of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

https://kissanime.to/Anime/JoJo-s-Bizarre-Adventure/Episode-006?id=40770

Admittingly it might not be like this in every source but the statement is still important
>>
>>134844535
The same amount as any normal person: none.

If your sound direction is good people won't really notice it, unless it's a song that can be used for promoting, aka radio, itunes, spotify, or similar shit.
>>
File: 1428246588444.png (2MB, 1053x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1428246588444.png
2MB, 1053x1070px
>>134846353
>streaming
>>
>>134847403
>>>/out/
>>
>>134845965
I really loved that "ping" sound that Gae Bolg made after Lancer used it.
>>
I don't really mind shows that have mediocre or even terrible sound mixing, but when a show has fantastic sound mixing it really stands out to me and I like it despite all its other flaws.

Recent examples of this are Tonari no Seki-kun and Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge. Both have fantastic sound effects, and Crime Edge especially does everything right in the sound department.

Like this part: https://u.pomf.io/adjrip.webm

That sound of him touching her hair. So many anime barely bother with that kind of detail.
>>
>>134847779
u.pomf.io/ozvqqd.webm

This one? I liked it too.
>>
>>134845965
UBW's biggest triumph in terms of sound was its music, which was groundbreaking in the way it was handled.

With most anime, a composer writes a set of music and creates a "library". Pieces like "Action Cue A", "Comedy Cue G", etc, and then a music director inserts what's needed into the appropriate scene. In technical terms, it's called "tracking". UBW completely skipped over this though, and had original music for just about every scene.

>The contributions of Mr. Hideyuki Fukasawa, who did the music, were large, even in terms of calories. For the first time in TV Anime history (I believe), he made 400 compositions for the entire score of the film while referencing the drawings. And he was even present for the dubbing. I requested music at the end of the provisional cuts (shooting the drawings, and setting the timings in order). The voice actors' voices are also added at this stage. But drawings keep being added afterwards, and the cutting process is repeated in accordance with those additions, until I finally have them do the FX. The music is written and recorded live in between that provisional cutting and the actual cutting, so when we alter a place where music was added, the music has to be adjusted once more. Fukasawa does that adjusting, and also handles orders for the the final adjustments during dubbing. That is how much he has done for us. I am grateful.

The biggest foible though was that the broadcast mix of the music was quieter than the BD release, so some people didn't even notice this.
>>
>>134845111
The dragon spear scene or the director punching in tsuki no naku?

only got the dragon spear on hand though the other one is even better.

https://a.pomf.cat/vwivnr.webm
>>134847779
funny, I found that to be godawful and one of the weakest points of the show.
>>
>>134847425
>expecting people to download the entire episode just to listen to a minute of sound design
>>
>>134844757
/thread
But I place it below everything else, so even if the music is GOAT, if the show is shit then it's shit.
>>
Not enough money goes into sound direction, sometimes Anime has some bomb ass dank ass sound tracks but they don't know how to use them. Like Code Geass had a good track but they used it so ineffectually.

Honestly a good score and good timing is what many other popular things get remembered for, like LOTR or Star Wars.
>>
>>134845111
This is the only show I actually noticed good sound direction from.

Otherwise it isn't really a big deal and I almost never pay attention to it. Music being good doesn't make a show good.
I fucking loved Guilty Crown, but it's considered shit even though it has good music.
>>
>>134845859
Most of the time vidya has some really good music
>>
>>134848092
>>134848092
Strongly disagreed. I thought Code Geass used its soundtrack very, very well and the sound director was quite experienced too
>>
>>134847667
Can't handle the truth nerd?
>>
>>134844757
I should also add, I do care quite a bit about soundtrack, but this comment was more about effects.
>>
One of the reasons why I like the Yozakura Quartet remake was because of the sound design.
>>
>>134848300
Why did it get a remake?
>>
>>134848545
Because the 2008 series was bad and the hoshi no umi OVA the new studio made was good.

Too bad nobody talked about it because it was a remake so nobody watched it.
>>
>>134848582
It had such good animation, sound direction, and the fan service was tasteful. Also the girls were well drawn with delicious thighs and body parts.

remake was great
>>
File: lila.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lila.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>134848705
NO DOUJINS
>>
>>134844535
yes
>>
>>134844535
Enough that I couldn't watch more than two episodes of Akatsuki no Yona. It just sounded badly.
>>
Almost none. I usually watch animu while working out, so I don't listen much.
>>
>>134844535
It's pretty important. Music does a lot to set the scene and add dramatic tension, and good use of sound effects can take otherwise mediocre scenes and make them a lot better.

It's nowhere close to being the most important factor, though.
>>
Music+Sound Design = Visuals in importance.
>>
Pretty much I only way I can tolerate a whole show is its sound direction and OST
>>
>>134844535
I don't really care in general but at the same time in a lot of cases it really can make the difference between a good series and a masterpiece for me.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.