[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime dubs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14

File: Revy 4.jpg (412KB, 850x540px) Image search: [Google]
Revy 4.jpg
412KB, 850x540px
How come in western animation voice acting comes out fine, but when they dub anime besides a few exceptions (Baccano, Bebop, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Stand Alone Complex, xxxHolic) it usually turns out to be shit.
>>
>>134541287

Well it doesn't always come out fine in the original language either. Some seiyuu are just plain bad at acting, even by jap standards. Although I would say dub actors aren't all great as well.
>>
Because no budget and lines are obviously going to be better in their original language
>>
One of the reasons is that you have more breathing room in western animation. The animators mostly have to adapt to the voice files they get instead of vice versa
>>
>>134541287
Dubs are coming faster now (apparently the nip pushed them), so every process they have to do will be rushed and thus the quality deteriorates
>>
>>134541287
In addition to all of these factors here, with Western animation the creative staff actually gets a chance to direct the voice acting and get exactly what they want out of them before the final product is shipped. Dub directors are mostly concerned with efficiency and don't really give a shit what the final product is like.
>>
File: 1435019423884.jpg (80KB, 506x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435019423884.jpg
80KB, 506x720px
>>134541352
There's also different guilds to work with in western animation and anime dubbing

Also, latin american dubs for anime at least try to be decent since they have more experienced VAs to work with that don't limit themselves to anime.
>>
>>134541715
If that's the case why bothered dubbing at all?
>>
>>134541834
$$$$$$
>>
>>134541349
True, I've started realizing it myself. Rewatching Lain I realized how weak the japanese original is (not saying the dub was great either). Though this might have been a result of just plain hard material. It's not a typical show, so seiyuu might not have been accustomed to it.
>>134541352
>>134541440
This does seem to make sense, but then why are there dubs that come out as well as these: >>134541287

>>134541715
Wasn't the biggest dubbing company made by a bunch of anime fans?
>>
>>134541834

The logic is that they can reach a wider audience. The reality is that very few do. Though this could be said of any product.
>>
>>134541287
Smaller talent pool and bad direction. Mind you after watching a fair few anime I hate how most Japanese directors ask for the same voices and intonations for most fucking archetypes.

Nasally person is inevitably a bad guy and traitor, deep voiced old man authoritarian etc.

Shit is as shit does.
>>
>>134541867
Did they get a lot tho?
>>
>>134541910

Depends on the anime. With streaming sites being a big deal, you can keep making money off a dub for years after it came out.
>>
Don't Japanese VAs do like live radio shows and stuff to practice their delivery, instead of just doing studio recordings? I imagine that kind of work gives them a certain quality compared to other voice actors.
>>
>>134541910
Probably. You probably don't need to pull that many viewers for a net gain.
>>
terrible Voice Directors. even good dub VA's like Crispin Freeman or Monica Rial can be horrible if paired with a bad Voice Director.
>>
>>134541875

>plain hard material

This is also a big reason why I make this statement over and over again. Japanese VA's, like any actor, don't all thrive in every condition. Couple that with the overall lack of variety in modern anime, and you get stagnation. I'd say the voice acting quality has gone down significantly across the board since around 2007.
>>
Watch the first episode of Kodocha (jap title: kodomo no omocha)

I can tell you right now that the english dub is far superior to the jap voices talent wise. Best way to find a weeaboo is to see if anyone likes the jap voices better in this anime.
>>
Another objectively superior dub:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yxv55
>>
>>134541988
>spoiler
She somehow makes the most bland character lively and likable
>>
>>134541287
I don't know about the rest, but I'd hazard a guess that in Black Lagoon's case, the English is an improvement over the atrocious instances of Engrish and Japanese writing dialogue "the way foreigners speak".
>>
>>134542127

Can't wait for the Psychopass movie to be dubbed for this reason
>>
>>134542205
K movie dub fucking when
>>
>>134541287
even original english dubs sucks, anon
just some rare cases they are ok
>>
>>134542229
The K-on Movie's English sounds fucking amazing by anime standards, and replacing the VA's of the Keion's is fucking sacrelige. They all do such a good job.
>>
>>134542284
The only good from the K-ON movie's dub is LK playing the store owner.
The rest of the K-On dub is horrible. The VAs are also real bitches and act like they're more important than normal TV stars. A real hassle to manage at conventions.
>>
>>134541287
Scenes with big emotions always fuck up some VAs, it somehow seems that english ones fail really hard at this, maybe due to lack of time and no effort, I dunno. Crying, yelling, and jabbering comes to my mind especially.
Excel Saga is a VA killer thats for sure but I actually like both dubs, they could keep up.

Also puns and wordplays, where the whole scene must be somehow rewritten to something completely new.
>>
>>134543082
>spoiler
what happened?
>>
>>134543082
>The VAs are also real bitches and act like they're more important than normal TV stars. A real hassle to manage at conventions.
sauce
>>
>>134542033
I would agree that the overall quality of English dubs also peaked at around 2007-ish. That was around the time of Red Garden and Le Chevalier D'Eon (ADV) and Ergo Proxy (Funimation) and even The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and the movie (Bandai), all of which had fantastic dubs; I'd even go as far as saying that Ergo Proxy has one of the best dubs ever.

ADV started out really rough because they were owned and operated by fans; a love of anime and any slightest bit of experience with protools and you're in. It wasn't until Macek came in and showed them how dubs are really supposed to be done that the quality of their dubs went way up.

Overall, considering the entire span of the companies, I'd say that Bandai had the overall highest quality dubs.

The stuff that Funimation is doing now is okay-ish, the problem is that they have to push them out way too fast and they keep using the same VAs WAY too frequently.
>>
>>134543727
A long process over a couple years that ended up with having to have more than one area in the green room. Basically they expected to be treated better than TV actors, started to charge for their signatures and photos, which led to the other VAs doing it and created a whole big drama were they don't want to be near VAs that aren't affiliated with them, etc. They also treat their PAs and the rest of the staff like they're worthless when away from the public.
>>134543936
Me, a person who volunteers as a PA for a convention. Come for the free food, stay for the juicy stories that could get me blacklisted if my name was revealed. I'm also not saying any more for fear of blacklisting. I like the free pizza and sandwiches as payment for a weekend of sitting on my ass and listening to isiot fans ask the same questions over and over again.
>>
>>134544010
Funimation did that because they have to compete with Sentai
>>
>>134544119
>charge for their signatures and photos
fuck, i read that on Comic-con website
yea its fucking bullshit
>>
>>134544119
Don't tell me Laura Baily is in the same bitch boat as the others.
>>
>>134544140
I think that the Japanese are stingy and don't like sharing, because it seems to me that Funimation can't actually get their hands on the animation and dub it until it's already aired in Japan, and that's why I think the "simucasts" for the dubs on their streaming service comes out a few weeks after the subs. That's my theory at least. I don't know why the Japs don't give them the episodes earlier so they'd have a bit more time to dub it properly, and then be under a legal agreement to release it at the same time the episode airs in Japan. That would be much easier I would think.
>>
>>134544119
have had a fan who is a feminist/mangina who ask female VA about inequality of payment in the work?
>>
>>134542205

Psychopass movie doesn't need a dub.flv

Also have they ever stated why the fuck they had most of the dialogue be in English
>>
>>134544492
like it or not its coming
>>
>>134541814
And ending up with the same people for everyone.
>>
>>134544119
>caring about what you say on an anonymous imageboard
>>
>>134544308
They did that with Space Dandy and the nip audience had a fucking fit.
>>
File: gohanissickofthisshit.png (267KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
gohanissickofthisshit.png
267KB, 704x396px
>>134544929
When will the Japs remove the gigantic stick from their ass?
>>
>>134545030

Around the same time we do
>>
>>134544929
>nip audience had a fucking fit
why? im kinda sheltered when comes to animu news
>>
>>134541287
Because you have a sub in a language you can't discern actual voiceacting quality in that you're used to so in comparison the english seems like shit. Most shows i've watched the dub first for i had no problem with - there are some that are still utter shit like anything sentai dubs, but most modern funimation and aniplex dubs are fine or even really good in some cases
>>
File: 1442946460103.gif (275KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1442946460103.gif
275KB, 500x375px
>>134541287

1. Being a voice actor in Japan is considered a legitimate career choice, so they have higher standards (notice how most Japanese VAs can sing?)
2. You don't get much money out of it in the states. I remember I was at a VA panel at a convention once, and the lady there (I think it was Colleen Clinkenbeard) said she'd get more money for a 30 second commercial than for a whole season of Kiddy Grade.
3. Anime isn't a big thing in the states, no not much point in putting a ton of effort in something that barely let them break even.
4. They don't have the VAs record together in a room like they do in Japan, so conversations often sound stilted.
>>
>>134541834

Because people in the general population aren't fucking weeaboos like you.

Anything they show on TV has to be dubbed.
>>
>>134545368

Many western VA's sing as well. Although I will conceive that in Japan it is more respected as a career.
>>
>>134541834
Gotta enjoy those donuts anon.
>>
>>134545563

Ironically, for all the shit people gave them, 4kids paid their VAs quite handsomely.
>>
>>134541988
>Monica Rial
>MIchiko Malandro
>then Kuroki Tomoko
This VA's good.
>>
Lack of unique voices. Idk what it is with Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star's cast. Barring the two that did Gene and Jim I've never heard the others in anything. Then Mark Gatha just up and quit.
>>
File: 1448177272702.jpg (13KB, 184x193px) Image search: [Google]
1448177272702.jpg
13KB, 184x193px
>>134541287
Ever considered that for most animation, the voices are recorded first and the animation adapted later?

In any language on the fucking planet, the original generally defeats the dub. People ridicule English dubs of Nip stuff, but the Nip dubs of American stuff is just as bad if not worse.
>>
File: colleen-clinkenbeard-698442l.jpg (970KB, 1111x1600px) Image search: [Google]
colleen-clinkenbeard-698442l.jpg
970KB, 1111x1600px
>>134545368
Reminder that Colleen Clinkenbeard loves your hate mail.
>>
>>134545948

Dubs are generally pretty good about lipflap. Anime rarely goes with how the mouth is supposed to moves when they say things.
>>
Carrie Savage needs more dun time. That energetic raspiness just gets me.
>>
>>134546160
>energetic raspiness
Then you must also like Hilary Haag and Allsion Keith too.
>>
>>134545948
Were you on that jap dub thread? Shit was insane, KND, EEnE dubs were god tier (aside from 5's manly voice) and you need to keep in mind that anime seiyuus don't do the work
>>
>>134546331

Are there any streaming sites with the Japanese dubs of those?
>>
>>134546231
I do like Alison Keith. Unfortunately I have not watched enough anime with her in it. Only Eva and Full Metal Panic.
>>
>>134546434
Will we ever get more Full Metal Panic? There's still manga material. It's been just over a decade now since Second Raid.
>>
>>134546369
Search the archives if you want the youtube links, I don't know an specific place though.
>>
>>134541287
Because no one gives a fuck about japaneses pedophiles cartoons anymore, so they get voice actors from the goddamn devianart and pay them really really low, DBZ is an exception because you know how popular was in the 90's, plus toriyama wanted the kid goku VA to voice the adult one because "muh immersion"
>>
>>134544492
Because english ism't the international language?
>>
File: 1404701551140.jpg (17KB, 291x400px) Image search: [Google]
1404701551140.jpg
17KB, 291x400px
Any time I watch foreign movies/anime with my normal-ish friends I'm always shocked at how ubiquitous dubbing is here in the states. The other day I watched the 1956 american version of godzilla on one of those classic film shows, and they were talking about it as if it WAS the original japanese movie. Fucking wild to me
>>
>>134541287
Not technically an anime (though it's pretty much the closest thing to a playable one), but Asura's Wrath is an example of a Japanese work where the dub is much, much better than the sub.

I don't think I've ever heard a Japanese voice actor scream like Liam O'Brien, and I stopped watching dubs a long time ago. Episode 12 gave me chills that no anime has ever done. The only time I've heard anguish like that in an anime was Homura having to shoot Madoka in PMMM ep10.
>>
>>134546563
>Because no one gives a fuck about japaneses pedophiles cartoons anymore
Wait. As someone who don't live in the US, I thought anime was more popular than ever there
>>
>>134546944
Certainly not more than ever, but it is pretty damn popular. A surprising amount of people have watched at least one /a/-core show at some point in their life and even the most normal of normalfags has watched SnK or SAO or something like that.
>>
>>134546944
it is, especially with massive, entry-level shonenshit (SAO, SnK) giving a new generation of weebs something to latch onto.
On top of that it is more socially acceptable now, as most of the people in our demographic grew up watching dubs of the big 90s shows.
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 777x1100px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 777x1100px
Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Fumoffu (FMP isn't terrible but yes I am one of these fags), Space Dandy, Fullmetal, Bebop, are all shows I greatly prefer the English for. By large I like the nip subs though. But the good series are usually really good
>>
just throwing it out there but Michiko & Hatchin has a really good dub that's under looked for some reason.
>>
>>134546944

>more popular than ever there

You weren't around to see how popular Pokemon and Yugioh were here.

>>134547087

>SAO
>SnK

Neither of those are things kids would see while watching their Saturday morning cartoons.
>>
>>134547198
No, but it's stuff that people watch now. SnK in particular is ridiculously popular.
>>
>>134546944
>Wait. As someone who don't live in the US, I thought anime was more popular than ever there
if it's anything like Aus, it's more of an aftershock of the popularity explosion of that shit during the 90's. Everyone I know my age grew up loving SOMETHING anime. Everyone.

Even bar sluts I know still have fond memories of Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura or something similar, and a large amount will still, as adults, watch something if it catches their eye and gains enough traction, or at the very least not look down on those that will.

Buuuut it's a far cry from the 90's. I'm not sure what most kids are into these days but it's not Japanese.
>>
>>134545700
wait, when did WataMote get dubbed.
>>
>>134547647
>I'm not sure what most kids are into these days but it's not Japanese.
Kids play a lot of vidya now, stuff like shitty mobile games and Minecraft. I'm not sure what kind of TV they watch now, but they watch a lot less than we did.
Note that this info is just me watching my younger cousins, I might be completely wrong.
>>
>>134546944
The entry-level casuals that only ever watched Toonami and stuff definitely are not as popular. However, the next level: casuals who browse MAL and watch shit on Crunchyroll, and read scanlations, is pretty damn huge right now.

We're seeing the rise of causal fans who aren't in anime for the shounen fightan' series anymore, but harem and ecchi stuff, especially light-novel-derived series. That shit is pretty much mainstream by this point.
>>
>>134547955
>Note that this info is just me watching my younger cousins, I might be completely wrong.
na, that's pretty much exactly the same as my experiences. It's pretty drastically different to growing up only a decade ago
>>
File: 1428460181290.jpg (144KB, 471x538px) Image search: [Google]
1428460181290.jpg
144KB, 471x538px
>dubs thread
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 640x436px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 640x436px
Anime dialogue and lip flaps make things more difficult, I presume.
>>
>>134548232
Fuckin Kaiji Tang man. Cool last name, cool dude.
>>
>>134541875

It was very strange rewatching Key the Metal Idol after learning some Japanese and realizing just how shitty and wooden some of the acting was. It was lousy even when compared to fucking late-nineties VIZ dub.
>>
>>134545279
pretty much
>>
>>134542043

Truth. Some of their casting choices were baffling (why does Akito sound like he's 40?) but the comic timing is absolutely perfect.

>I thought I could jump down without screaming. ...I should have practiced.
>>
>>134544929

So basically nip weebs are just as petty and bitchy as we are?
>>
File: HowAbouIt.gif (96KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
HowAbouIt.gif
96KB, 480x480px
>>134548754
Be even cooler if he changed his first name to Pootie. Wa-dah-ta my damie.
>>
>>134545368

>They don't have the VAs record together in a room like they do in Japan, so conversations often sound stilted.

I thought VAs record separate tracks in western animation in general and that Japan's "everyone in one room" thing was kind of an anomaly. I've only voice acted in a few commercials but I never met the other VAs for the ones with dialogue.
>>
>>134545948

Some of the best dubs I've ever seen took great liberties with the original screenplay and pacing. Golden Boy and FLCL come to mind.
>>
>>134549190

Also Ghost Stories.
>>
>>134547973

>casuals
>into harem and ecchi

wut? I'm an anime oldfag and hesitate to recommend KLK to newbies because despite my love for the show it's a fanservice-fest, you're telling me casual fans would dive right into Oops I Fell And Put Your Head in My Tits manga?
>>
>>134545368
I can rally dig into the VA stuff because I sound like a shitty villain of the week. I enjoy playing with my voice, too bad I don't have a mic.
>>
>>134544140
>have to compete with Sentai
This is something that still boggles my mind.

When ADV came back as Sentai they started off slow. But in the past two years it seems like Sentai has been pulling money out of nowhere and grabbing up titles like crazy. Especially series that would look like they would be under Funimation's name.

The kicker is that most of Sentai's titles aren't even dubbed. Are people really willing to fork over cash for a product they can get free online?
>>
>>134548232

Wait, I thought we already had the ability to change lip flap on the fly. I remember Viz had some kind of trademarked technology that showed up in the end credits on their Ranma tapes.
>>
>>134542043
I always liked the sub voices but I just finished watching ep1 with dubs

and in the first 5 mins i could tell a big difference. The mom and daughter were great
>>
>>134549388

If the rest of the frame beyond the mouth is still and it's the normal "blah blah blah :U" type talk, it really wouldn't be hard to change the lip flap.
>>
>Sentai keeps all of it's ADV VA's who have years of experience
>It's 2015 and most of them are still shit
>>
>>134541349
Well said. A most recent example would be Jitsu wa's voice acting.
>>
>>134549301
The casuals you're talking about are the absolute newbies. I'm talking about the next level: the guys who use places like MAL or Crunchyroll, who actually keep up at least moderately with anime, and who have at least a surface knowledge of the industry (knowing who the big names and all the studios are etc., knowing basic anime fan slang). The kind of people who go to anime clubs.

My college's anime club recently watched fucking Ben-To to completion. I only went like twice, but people were laughing at all the ecchi and harem antics, including the girls in the club.

Harems and ecchi are super entry-level dude. Most straight dudes like fantasizing about having a harem of cute girls and seeing tits and ass. A lot of girls think that stuff is funny, or they watch for the random fujo-pandering that a lot of series have. I've seen just as many girls into SAO as I have guys, and that show is harem to the fucking max.
>>
>>134542043
>>134548901
>>134549401

It sounds so fucking horrible. Of course you dub fags would think it sounds good.
>>
>>134549806
I'm sure they knew some random asshat would come here and whine at them as well.
>>
>>134549913
Where do you think are?
>>
>>134548031

> still no dub with a proper ahnuld impersonator
>>
File: wtf the fucl.jpg (62KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
wtf the fucl.jpg
62KB, 354x367px
>>134548987
>nip weebs
>>
>>134550114
/a/ likes certain dubs

youd know this if youve been here for more than a week
>>
>>134549301
>revealing your power level
>recommending anime ever
>not knowing KlK was the closest thing to SnK that year
>recommending KlK
>loving it
>calling others casuals at this point
Holy shit you're a fag.
>>
>>134550705
>/a/ likes certain dubs
You can count them with your hands though, people should avoid dubs like the plague.
>>
>>134549190

>>134549237
also Cyber City Oedo 808
>>
>>134541287
Dubs tend to be better when the setting of the anime is Western, what a surprise. When that American/Euro character is speaking English it feels more acceptable and you don't really question the quality of dubs. That's why every English dub of a japanese high school anime will give you cancer.
>>
>>>/reddit/
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.