[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I've seen the "it's unnatural for teens to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 209756765245cae41d3721f.jpg (2KB, 77x59px) Image search: [Google]
209756765245cae41d3721f.jpg
2KB, 77x59px
>I've seen the "it's unnatural for teens to call each other Mr./Miss all the time" as a criticism of localized/no-honorifics subs before. But really, if people don't like schoolkids being too formal, imo they should blame the Japanese scriptwriters for having the characters use the exact same suffixes that adults in a workplace might use. Localized subs are merely a reflection of that level of formality.
>>
File: 1437039247341.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
1437039247341.png
38KB, 499x338px
>>
>>134057348
Which strip is the actual panel from? I don't think I've seen that one.
>>
>>134057300
Just use the japanese suffixes and be done with it.

I mean -sensei works in English, so why wouldn't the other suffixes.
>>
>>134058915
This. Everyone watching/reading your translation presumably knows their basic honorifics, anyway.
>>
>>134057348
Some fag on ANN.
>>
>>134057300
>for having the characters use the exact same suffixes that adults in a workplace might use
Which still don't equate to Mr/Miss in those cases, no one in the west calls their workmate Bob, Mr. Bob you retard. If you're gonna be a faggot and localize then don't use any except in cases where it's clear Mr/Miss would be expected in the west.
>>
>>134059520
They probably would if Bob was older or in a higher position in the company.
>>
>>134057300
>it's the Japanese writers' fault for making the characters talk like nips actually do
>don't blame the translators for translating it in a retarded way, nip is too strange a language to be translated properly
>>
>>134059400
Why do you do this to yourself?
>>
>>134059689
I was under the impression that it is actually strange to use that kind of formality when addressing someone of the same age and social standing.
>>
>>134059671

Maybe the CEO or some shit, you don't call your direct manager Mr. usually these days.
>>
do kids in japan use -kun and -san for each other (when theyre talking to someone who's not their friend)?
>>
sometimes you have delinquents in anime use -san for their leader. I don't know enough about Japan and obviosuly there's a big difference between anime and japan but you wouldnt have them call their leader 'mr' in anything else. -san shows respect but i can be used more loosely than 'mr' i assume. they both show respect though
>>
>>134060020
Calling someone in your class classmate-san is polite, but not strange. If you did that with every person in your class, regardless of your actual closeness to them, you would give off the impression that you're purposely distancing yourself from everyone else, though.

>>134061410
With young kids you would expect -kun, especially between boys or a girl talking to a boy, and girls would use -chan.
>>
>>134061681
Boys will use -chan too though, should have said that. Shortened version of first name+chan is pretty common.
>>
Ehh, blame English for not having enough honorifics. So often you see delinquents(and lesbians) call each other bigbro-name, bigsis-name. English doesn't have specific terms to differentiate siblings by age.
>>
File: vomit-chan jojoified.jpg (151KB, 671x680px) Image search: [Google]
vomit-chan jojoified.jpg
151KB, 671x680px
>mfw public school plebs who were never called by their surname are breathing my air
>>
>>134064339
What kind of elite wanker school did you go to? Last names were for teachers at mine.
>>
>>134057300
But they really do say honorifics, why pretend they don't?
>>
File: 1445463153542.jpg (3KB, 70x70px) Image search: [Google]
1445463153542.jpg
3KB, 70x70px
>>134057300
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.