[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Rebuild of Evangelion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 18

File: killme.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
killme.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I finished the TV series for the first time 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it.

This week, I started watching Rebuild of Evangelion
I really enjoyed 1.11 and 2.22, but holy shit, what happened in 3.33?

It's not that I thought 3.33 is trash, but there was so much questionable shit.
What's the point of Asuka not aging? Actually, what's the point of a 14 year time skip?
Why does nobody realize that Shinji has no idea what he did?
How many people did the partial third impact take out? It seems like almost everyone, but how do they support the evas and the flying ship?
Why does Asuka forgive Shinji at the end after irrationally hating him for so long?


I still had a good time with 3.33 despite the flaws, because it radically changed itself from a remake to something else entirely.
I still think 4.0 can make up for 3.33's flaws if done correctly, but it can also be a disaster.
>>
>>134052881
You're a faggot for not realizing how trash 3.33 is.

Your questions alone show how little you understand about it.
>>
>>134053288
It seems like it really upset purists of the series, but what did you want? The exact same anime with a reskin?
>>
>>134052881
You see your first problem is liking the rebuilds.

But in all seriousness, the only idea I've seen tossed about that I think could be cool for this was that 2.22 was like an eva fanboy power trip and then 3.33 was taking all of that away leaving shinji and by proxy the audience lost and confused. Shinji is often used as a foil for the audience in Eva.

That being said, for some of your questions there is no answer because all 3.33 did was raise questions and bring no answers. All we can do is pray that Anno has something good in store for 4.0 or 3.0 + 1.0 or whatever and makes the entire rebuild worth it.
>>
>>134052881
> What's the point of Asuka not aging? Actually, what's the point of a 14 year time skip?

To sell merchandise of everyone and everything "new". Everyone is young so otaku and fujo are still interested.

>Why does nobody realize that Shinji has no idea what he did?

So they can have faux drama. Even though he was unconscious for 14 years. It's a miracle he didn't faint.

>How many people did the partial third impact take out? It seems like almost everyone, but how do they support the evas and the flying ship?

Fanwank something.

>Why does Asuka forgive Shinji at the end after irrationally hating him for so long?

Pity? Inconsistent characterization? Who knows, really. Shikinami has barely been on screen to know what and how she thinks.
>>
>>134053371
It upset anyone who wasn't retarded anon.

Because anyone not retarded would be able to answer those questions of yours and correctly conclude that the movie is a pile of expensive shit.

Purists? What a lame strawman. Forget what I or you want for a moment and just look at the movie, the plot is whack, the characters are only pandering devices, and the story is at best one giant hypocrisy trying to sell itself as genuine.

"Purists being the only ones upset" my ass, Rebuild only started gaining traction once things started changing. Purists are a small, small minority and they were already "out" by the end of 1.0 since it changed something too.
>>
>>134052881
The 14 years timeskip was there to give the rebuild a different story from the tv series.

Asuka says something about "The Curse of the Evas", so we can theorize all eva pilots are stuck with the bodies they had when they first started piloting the evas. Could be related to the fact that angels and evangelions have the Fruit of Life opposed to humans' Fruit of Knowledge... Fruit of Life is supposed to give immortality, and maybe connecting with an eva transfers it to some degree.

Nobody realizes Shinji had no idea what they did simply for drama, or maybe they're just really upset about the fact he still, albeit unwillingly, caused Third Impact. 14 years of despair are a long time, anon...

Third Impact probably took out 80% of the world population or something like that, I didn't rememeber where I read it... still, 14 years have passed, so they had plenty of time to find people to work for Wille... probaly was hard at the start but eventually they found a way.

Asuka forgives Shinji to some degree because Asuka has contrasted feelings for him... hatred because of third impact, yes, but deep down she's glad to see him again and she still has feelings for him, as hinted by Mari before she goes to punch the glass.
>>
>>134053483
>the only idea I've seen tossed about that I think could be cool for this was that 2.22 was like an eva fanboy power trip and then 3.33 was taking all of that away
An idea that objectively doesn't work since 3.0 is itself the only real otaku power trip of the three rebuilds. Otaku are selfish and often sadistic creatures that care only about being pandered to, and that's what 3.0 does.
>>
You forgot to watch EoE
>>
>>134053534
>Third Impact probably took out 80% of the world population or something like that, I didn't rememeber where I read it... still, 14 years have passed, so they had plenty of time to find people to work for Wille

14 years is hardly enough time for that.
>>
>>134053534
The 14 year time skip literally just exists so it's not illegal to fap to asuka
>>
>>134053600
It wasn't illegal before.
>>
>>134053586
Well, it's not THAT important anyways, it seems like most of NERV made it out alive from Third Impact (possibly because they were in the... uh... eye of the cyclone?) so it was simply a matter of finding new people to fill the positions left vacant.
>>
>>134053534
>The 14 years timeskip was there to give the rebuild a different story from the tv series.
Bullshit. The story was already different and you don't even need a timeskip to do that, something previous movies or virtually any other remake proves.

>Asuka says something about "The Curse of the Evas", so we can theorize
Stop. There's one and only one answer here, and that is that they don't have the balls to age their own waifu-characters because it'd work against their goal of popularizing them and selling them.

There is no explanation in the movie and in ANY interview post 3.0 after three years. The effect 3.0 could have had has already been had.

>Nobody realizes Shinji had no idea what they did simply for drama, or maybe they're just really upset about the fact he still, albeit unwillingly, caused Third Impact. 14 years of despair are a long time, anon...
Everyone that has more than three lines of dialogue at the Wunder knows everything and has no reason to act like they do whatsoever. Not even 14 years of your own fanwank goes against the fact that they are figuratively shooting themselves in the foot in full and complete clarity that they are doing so.

>Third Impact probably took out 80% of the world population or something like that
You cannot say the third impact at all happened much less had any concrete effect. There is nothing in the movie that corroborates any number of deaths in specific.

>Asuka forgives Shinji to some degree because Asuka has contrasted feelings for him... hatred because of third impact, yes, but deep down she's glad to see him again and she still has feelings for him, as hinted by Mari before she goes to punch the glass.
Which is nothing more than ridiculous Asuka otaku pandering.

It's a poor movie, nothing else.
>>
>>134053600
Fapping to a 14 y.o. fictional girl isn't a crime, anon. They could have said she was 18 and nothing would have changed... age in an anime is a meaningless thing.
>>
>>134053483
>But in all seriousness, the only idea I've seen tossed about that I think could be cool for this was that 2.22 was like an eva fanboy power trip and then 3.33 was taking all of that away leaving shinji and by proxy the audience lost and confused. Shinji is often used as a foil for the audience in Eva.
I like that idea, but I still think the execution cost was too high to get the result.

Although, it may be the ultimate Evangelion mind fuck if 4.0 is fantastic despite 3.33
>>
>>134053707
It is important since it's more or less the backbone of the movie.

In other words, the movie has no backbone. I'm sorry about you watching the Rebuilds anon but let me give it to you straight:

The plot and story doesn't add up because they were never meant to. The only thing 3.0 and likely, Rebuild onwards exists for is the superficial values it presents, it forces a conclusion rather than elaborating on the reasoning. That's why they do a timeskip, not so that they can make up the story inbetween but because then they don't have to. Any change can be attributed to "well it happened in the timespan of 14 years", and so they can focus on just bringing forth moe characters and unsubtle biased portrays of most elements you know for the original.

This is true because Rebuild 3.0's characters alone do not have the depth or characterization to support themselves, and the audience will therefore without any question project their image of the characters from other works onto Rebuild. Which is what Rebuild relies entirely on with 3.0.

It all comes down to which characters the production team at Khara favors, and literally nothing else. They're avid Asuka and Kaworu fans for the most part, and have during their entire career never spoken a good word about Rei.

Rebuild is what it is, the timeskip, the curse of EVA, the difference in treatment for the characters,it's choice of direciton, it's all there because the production team doesn't like Rei being more popular than the rest, and that people think less of other characters that they favor. That's the entire secret.

This is what's most likely is true because there is not a single element of all Rebuild that can be said to contradict it.
>>
>>134053888
see >>134053565
The idea doesn't work and bringing it up is little more than self-delusion.
>>
>>134053714
> Bullshit. The story was already different...
They wanted the timeskip for the new story, they put the timeskip in the new story. It's a NEW story, they can do whatever they want.

> Stop. There's one and only one answer here, and that is that they don't have the balls to age their own waifu-characters...
True, but Asuka DOES say that and what she is implying, for the plot's sake, is obvious. The economic shallow reasons they implemented it is a different question, and OP is asking about the plot.

> Everyone that has more than three lines of dialogue at the Wunder knows everything and has no reason to act like they do whatsoever.
We know almost nothing about them, you're the one fanwanking over stuff without data.

> You cannot say the third impact at all happened much less had any concrete effect. There is nothing in the movie...
The movie clearly shows the aftermath of Third Impact. I don't recall where, but I did read it caused 80% of the population to die... whatever, it's not important.

> Which is nothing more than ridiculous Asuka otaku pandering.
Then again, probably true, but unimportant for the sake of this discussion.

You seem pretty bitter, anon. Calm down, you can ignore the Rebuild movies if you feel they ruined Eva.

The tv series is obviously superior and far more original and inspired, but that doesn't mean you should be this salty.
>>
Shitty movie aside, what the hell happened to Kowaru's EVA at the end of 2.22? Why is it down in Dogma?
>>
>>134053983
I agree on the fact that the Rebuild movies are rather underwhelming on the plot department, but you're clearly a butthurt reifag.
>>
>>134054094
I'm not interested in what you think I am or what I'm not. I totally agree that it's easy to make that conclusion based on what I wrote and I don't even deny it.
But, is there any point here that can be said to be wrong? Because that's what matters. Nothing else.
>>
>>134052881
>>134053573
No I didn't?

>>134053600
>so it's not illegal to fap to asuka
lmao the most plausible reason.

The fruit of life thing makes sense, but feels really contrived....

>>134054049
>Shitty movie aside, what the hell happened to Kowaru's EVA at the end of 2.22? Why is it down in Dogma?

So that the final angel could not easily get to it I think, but that get fucked when he became the final angel is my understanding.
>>
2.0 was shit and 3.0 was even shittier. The character building moments that come from being episodic/monster of the week are lost and traded for overblown and overdrawn angel fights (compare the sahaquiel fight in the series to 2.0 or the Ramiel fight).

The only thing better about the Rebuilds is more consistent animation.
>>
File: LIVIN' THE DREAM.gif (143KB, 500x402px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
LIVIN' THE DREAM.gif
143KB, 500x402px
>>134054151
I said I totally agree on what you think. The movie does feel uninspired and all that jazz, but the first thing that comes out from your post is "tfw studio khara doesn't like teh rei".
>>
>>134054044
a>>134054044
>They wanted the timeskip for the new story, they put the timeskip in the new story. It's a NEW story, they can do whatever they want.
What's your point? That they can do anything they want? Well no shit sherlock. No shit.

>True, but Asuka DOES say that and what she is implying, for the plot's sake, is obvious. The economic shallow reasons they implemented it is a different question, and OP is asking about the plot.
The "implication" or the "plot" here doesn't exist. There is nothing obvious hence why 100% of audience members leave the room without knowing anything about the plot-related reasons.

>We know almost nothing about them, you're the one fanwanking over stuff without data.
I (and you) know enough to make the conclusion I just made. It's not fanwank, but a legitimate fact what I just said. Let me prove it:
Misato and Ritsuko both adopt the same hostile and careless position that screws them over despite:
- Being at the scene 14 years ago
- Fully knowing well that Shinji is mentally unstable (mentioned by Ritsuko in 1.0)
- Quite clearly stating that the reason behind the awakening 14 years ago was Shinji's emotional and unstable state

Then we add the fact that they really, really don't like awakenings and are so afraid of it that they'll put a bomb on his neck. These are facts. They are canonically provable in every possible way.

See what doesn't make sense her then? They know messing with Shinji's mind and upsetting him causes impacts (something they don't want), and they still do it. For literally no reason.

>I don't recall where, but I did read it
You didn't read it. You fanwanked or read someone's else fanwank, end of story.

>Then again, probably true, but unimportant for the sake of this discussion.
It's the truth as you say, and that makes it relevant. It's the reason behind it, and nothing else is.

Yeah I'm bitter about you dancing around the facts.
>>
>>134054280
Shouldn't that be: "The first thing that comes from 3.0 or understanding 3.0 is that "tfw studio khara doesn't like teh rei". " ?
If we nail down 3.0 as accurately as can be for what it does, and the conclusion leans in that direction, then aren't we good?

If that's how it seems, then it's unsurprising because it's exactly what it is.
>>
>>134054274
>2.0 was shit
>>
>What's the point of Asuka not aging? Actually, what's the point of a 14 year time skip?

There is a reason why she can crack glass with a punch and use a certain word that only Kaworu uses.

What made eva good was the characters and the plot was kept aside. One thing people often ask is the meaning behind Asuka's word at the end of EoE, not the plot.

3.33 threw everything away and just concentrate on the retarded lore of eva.
>>
Theory: 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 are not one continuous timeline, but in fact a mix of two alternate universes.

3.33 had a mysteriously blue title, when the prior two movies had red titles.

In 3.33 everyone is extremely cold to Shinji and acts as if he went and caused third impact all on his own, including Misato. But if you remember at the end of 2.22, Misato was the one that told Shinji to go for it meaning she should be feeling quite a tinge in her heart, but she is rarely shown showing such compassion for him in this movie. Also, similarly at the end of 2.22 it looks as though Shinji stopped third impact just in time, and it shouldn't have lead to the desolate landscape of 3.33.
>>
>>134054274
2.0 was great, and Rebuild would have been a really good EVA movie adaptation if not for 3.0.
There's just no way 3.0 can be justified.
>>
>>134054484
>There is a reason why she can crack glass with a punch and use a certain word that only Kaworu uses.
Yeah. The reason is that Anno and Tsurumaki are butthurt that those characters don't reach up to Rei's acclaim and recognition, so they try to compensate in new works by dumbing down Rei and giving Asuka and Kaworu all sorts of superpowers and tighter relations to the plot along with higher amounts of knowledge.

3.33 didn't concentrate on lore at all, it just uses lore-specific elements and assigns them to the characters they want the audience to latch on to.
>>
So it's either
>a.) Rebuild doesn't make sense
>b.) Rebuild does make sense
>c.) Rebuild will make sense (4.0)

I only watched 1.11 out of the Rebuilds, but anyone else instantly feel like it lacked that magic? There was just something in the timing or even the grainy 4:3 style to NGE that was completely lost. Even though the same scenes were muh HD. That was the first thing that hit me.
>>
>>134054691
It's a), that much has already been decided.
>>
>>134054492
That actually would be awesome if 4.0 somehow follows up on that theory. It would make a decent amount of sense actually.
>>
>>134054691

It is the same damn thing with the TV series. Not a lot happen in the TV series until Asuka shows up. You probably just don't like the visuals, try to tweaking the brightness, contrast and gamma of your media player.
>>
>>134054755
>>134054492
It wouldn't make sense. Timeloops/timeline nonsense never adds up. Ever.

The fact that people need to jump to absolutely insane and hacky theories is in itself proof that 3.0 doesn't make sense. Even a theory like that doesn't make the characters not shit.
>>
>>134054691
I though 1.11 and TV series was about the same quality and 2.22 was significantly better than the TV series even.
3.33 just kind threw that all away though.
>>
>>134054498
>>134054453
2.0 is generic shounen action with overblown fights capped with Shinji having Eva 01 going beserk through his power of his burning desire. Asuka is turned into a generic tsundere with out any of the depth that defined her in the series. Mari is a pointless addition. The only thing that Rebuild does better is the animation, and that's not even as good as EoE.
>>
>>134055052
>2.0 is generic shounen action with overblown fights capped with Shinji having Eva 01 going beserk through his power of his burning desire. Asuka is turned into a generic tsundere with out any of the depth that defined her in the series.

Literally no difference than how the first episodes after Ramiel plays out, or how Asuka is portrayed during that time. Asuka has no depth initially.
>>
>>134055052
>Mari is a pointless addition
Only point I wholly disagree with.

And I don't think Asuka was made a generic tsundere, but she was characterized less.
Most likely a result of accelerated character development.
>>
>>134055137
Yes she does, it's just not apparent during the first watch. Her constant desire to be viewed as an adult, her hinting to Misato about what happened to her mother, her desire to constantly be validated, etc. All these are presented in the early episodes with her (8-12), but don't start becoming apparent until the fight with Leliel (episode 16). Asuka's whole mother ordeal, and thus all her depth as a character are dropped for the generic tsundere, "I find it hard to make friends" mantra.
>>
File: eoe1.jpg (83KB, 823x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
eoe1.jpg
83KB, 823x480px
>>134052881
Did you watch End of Evangelion?
>>
>>134055348
>Only point I wholly disagree with

How so? 2.0 alone, I always thought there was something mysterious about her being. Come 3.0, she really is pretty pointless.
>>
>>134055389
>Yes she does, it's just not apparent during the first watch. Her constant desire to be viewed as an adult, her hinting to Misato about what happened to her mother, her desire to constantly be validated, etc. All these are presented in the early episodes with her (8-12), but don't start becoming apparent

In other words, you're wrong. Acyka hints just as much in Rebuild and it actually goes deeper into her character by throwing in some development. That desire is there and the hints are there as well.

It's just not apparent if you are a retarded Asukafag or a dumb tripfag like yourself who can't view anything objectively.
>>
>>134055416
Yes I did, and really enjoyed it too.
>>
>>134055389
>>134055348
Asuka in the first part of NGE is just a generic tsundere, with arguably LESS characterization and development than Asuka in 2.0. She's more or less a static comic gag character who in a fairly "bad" scene has the only hint at something else by stating it OUTRIGHT in a scene where Shinji gets a boner at the hot springs.

"You know about my dark past, right?" is what she said, literally, and that's not anything good or at all deep.

In the meantime, Rebuild gives her more attention than NGE did by having her face her own issues (herself) and reaching a point where she can discuss them on a mature level. In addition to having the obvious tsundere attitude the original also had, being viewed as an adult etc....

Facts are that Asuka only gets to be a somewhat respectable character near the end of the series. Up until that point, there's nothing remarkable about it whatsoever, and even then some would argue that she's still unremarkable because all Anno did was copy Nausicaa's kushana with her background.
>>
>>134055498
No she doesn't. The entire playing with a sock puppet is completely different than her characterization in the series (her hatred for dolls). Her psychological desire to be treated and seen as an adult is thrown out. She cooks for Shinji, and she's able to quickly warm up to Shinji and Rei. If you think her character has any of the depth of the series, then that's hilarious.
>>
>>134054831
I'm not much for tweaking though. But you didn't feel it? When Shinji pries open Rei's entry plug and tells her to smile felt completely different to me, even though it was the same scene.

>>134054894
So I guess I should stop at 2.22 until 4.0 reaches a verdict since I'm not the type to beta-test.

>>134054720
So none of the same faculties of reasoning that one would use to understand NGE applies to Rebuild?
>>
>>134055734
>The entire playing with a sock puppet is completely different than her characterization in the series (her hatred for dolls).
Asuka has no hatred for dolls in NGE in the first few episodes, and merely being different is no crime. It's even a misconstruction of the real issue, her fear of being a doll herself.

>Her psychological desire to be treated and seen as an adult is thrown out.
Still there through her desire to succeed and how she reject childish things at her school.

>She cooks for Shinji, and she's able to quickly warm up to Shinji and Rei. If you think her character has any of the depth of the series, then that's hilarious.
Yes, and? None of this is contrary to having depth. Not warming up isn't the same as having depth.

>>134055778
>So none of the same faculties of reasoning that one would use to understand NGE applies to Rebuild?
They all apply and that's why we can say a) is the right conclusion already now.
>>
>>134055778
>So I guess I should stop at 2.22

Most definitely.
>>
>>134055734
2.0 Rebuild's Asuka has more depth than early NGE Asuka and that's a fact. In NGE she was just comedy gag fanservice but 2.0 actually gave her some development unlike NGE.

Stop being a dumb hypocrite. Asuka is all fan-made hype and idiots like yourself telling yourselves lies about the character until you believe it.
>>
>>134055687
So you're just going to ignore her constant desire to be treated as an adult, her criticising Rei for being a doll, the scene when she says "Mama" when she's sleeping? On the other hand, Rebuild has her "face her issues" in the generic 5 minute talk out that would never fix a person with deep-seated psychological issues.
>>
>>134055778
No, watch 3.33 and form your own conclusions.
Not everyone disliked it.
>>
>>134055901
>So you're just going to ignore her constant desire to be treated as an adult, her criticising Rei for being a doll, the scene when she says "Mama" when she's sleeping?
I'm going to wake you up to the facts that the first two are for one apparent in the Rebuilds already, and the second is in Rebuild while it WASNT in NGE's first intro of the character.
The latter is replaced by a character-scene with Shinji that at that point fits more due to their development.

Not only is it all there, but there is even including that talk with Misato as a result of her character development, something NGE never did. Not only that, it set up the character perfectly for regression after the Bardiel incident.

Face it. You're wrong. The facts are as clear as day, NGE's Asuka during her first epiodes are just as shallow if not even more shallow than what you criticize 2.0's Asuka for being.
>>
>>134055734
>>134055824
I will take the middle ground here and say that she was on track to be characterized better, but she suddenly warmed up because the movie was ending soon and shit needed to conclude before 3.33/phase 2 of the Rebuild series started.
>>
>>134053565
I'd agree about you saying thats how Otakus are, however, I don't think most would see themselves that way so if thats your view of a power trip then its very different than what I'm talking about. The point was that 2.22 was Eva going full anime shonen boring stereotypes, at least from my perspective. Then 3.33 takes this away leaving the audience who loved 2.22 complaining about how it wasn't what they wanted (which would fit into what you were saying about Otakus).

I'll be the first to say that I haven't put too much deep thought into this idea, likely because I don't care for the rebuilds, but unless you can give me an actual reason not to at least think about it as a prospective idea until 4.0 gets released in god knows how many years I'll continue to ponder on it, albeit very little.
>>
>>134056070
She was characterized in excess considering time, and didn't suddenly warm up. It's all done through natural character development after interacting and self-introspecting, something NGE didn't.

Asuka is presented as a better and more stable person in the Rebuilds though, that's true. You can thank Asuka fans for that.
>>
>>134056016
>>134056070
You're missing the part where Asuka really has her bitch mask in the originals.

Shikanami looks like a relatively normal girl compared to Soryu. How bland and fanservicey.
>>
>>134056252
Asuka also has a bitch mask in Rebuild, but they removed it to cater to Asuka fans and make the character more popular.
But as a character there's nothing wrong here.

Tsunderes with bitch masks are bland and fanservicey too.
>>
>>134055778
>So I guess I should stop at 2.22
3.33 is not a bad anime, just bad compared to the rest of Evangelion.

Watch it at least for the visuals an to understand people issues with it.
You may actually enjoy it.
>>
>>134056294
There's nothing wrong, it just isn't Asuka.
Good thing they changed the last name.
>>
>>134056120
>The point was that 2.22 was Eva going full anime shonen boring stereotypes, at least from my perspective.
Your perspective is wrong for the simple reason that NGE in it's first half also conforms perfectly to those standards. You've got the monster-of-the-week format nailed down and there's all kinds of ridiculous nonsense like making up a DANCE ROUTINE to defeat the invading monster of the week. There's all sort of lame stuff like jumping into volcanoes and saving Japan from yet another nuclear disaster.

3.33 doesn't take anything away except for the continuation NGE gave it's first half. 3.33 didn't do Rebuild the same service as episodes post-13 did for NGE, by maturing what it had built. It is still as over-the-top as ever, starting with a space battle where the hero saves the day laden with fanservice-y shots (shonen stereotypes anyone?), goes on to feature giant battleships and spends the rest on Kaworu's piano time.

>but unless you can give me an actual reason not to at least think about it as a prospective idea until 4.0
The reason is that 3.0 provides pound for pound more otaku pandering than 2.0 or 1.0 does. I describe "otaku pandering" as the ratio of substance versus superficial elements that attract otaku.

1.0 and 2.0, as well as NGE is thorough with it's characters and makes a concrete, developing characters.
3.0 on the other hand, keeps it's characters intentionally shallow and relies entirely on otaku involvement to at all have anything resembling a plot.

3.0 on a much greater scale than anything else before it, invites otaku delusion and self-insertion since it actively avoids committing to a character.

4.0 can't possibly change what 3.0 was, and is now three years after. We can't turn back time.

>>134056298
3.33 is a bad anime period.
>>
>>134056016
>>134055879
Only if you take Asuka's character from episodes 8-12. 2.0 stretches all the way to episode 18, and in that span (8-18), Asuka's character lacks the depth shown in the series. By the time we get to episode 16, Asuka's mental instabilities are becoming more apparent with Shinji surpassing her, Kaji ignoring her and everyone focusing on Shinji when he gets absorbed. This is pushed further with her cold demeanour towards him during 17 and 18, and her disdain to the fact that there was going to be another Eva pilot.

>>134056016
Asuka's desire to be treated as an adult is greatly played down compared to the series, Asuka doesn't just think "things are childish", but she wants to be treated as a woman (in terms of respect and sexuality, i.e. daddy issues). The entire Freudian aspect of the parent (especially the mother's) roll in the mental development of the children and how they'll behave in adolescents and into adulthood is heavily downplayed. Compare Eva 01 in 2.0 during the Zeruel fight to the tv series. In 2.0 it's Shinji, in the series it's Yui.

The mother aspect and how the mother affects the mental progression of a child is dropped heavily in favour of more drawn out fights. So Asuka's psychological issues from being neglected by both her mom and her step-mom are pushed to the side so we can get Shinji saying, "Give me back my Rei".
>>
>>134056367
>There's nothing wrong, it just isn't Asuka.
Precisely. Which is why idiots like Solidus here are completely off the mark when they criticize it for not being shallow.

The difference between NGE Asuka and Rebuild Asuka, is that Rebuild's Asuka is a white-washing of Asuka's image. By turning her into a nicer, more capable and stronger character, they're essentially attempting to just make it more popular.

Like you said, it "just isn't Asuka", but that didn't stop it from being the most popular Asuka variant out there, even among Asuka fans.
>>
>>134056448
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>134056448
>Only if you take Asuka's character from episodes 8-12.
Try 6-13, since that makes up for the "2 out 4" segment of NGE reflected in Rebuild. This is the characters "intro" and it is objectively speaking, the ONLY comparison you can actually do if you want to make a conclusion concerning it's quality.

Asuka's character in Rebuild 2.0 does not lack the depth in the series, but has that depth and even more in it's corresponding timeframe.

Everything you describe took place in the latter half of Evangelion, which would be 3.0 and 4.0. Guess what, 3.0 dropped the ball on that one.
>>
>butthurt Reifags
>>
>>134056548
>>134056652
But she is even more shallow. That's part of becoming more popular as well.

3.0 Asuka on the other hand, is nigh undecifrable.
>>
>>134056448
see >>134056548
>Asuka doesn't just think "things are childish", but she wants to be treated as a woman (in terms of respect and sexuality, i.e. daddy issues).
It's the same fucking thing. Asuka is a child, and that is a fundamentally childish thing to do. The fact that she wants to be adult is in itself undeniable proof that she isn't.

It's not played down either, it's still there in the same way it was during Asuka's first few episodes. It only became a thing during EVA's later episodes, which is too early for Rebuild to include both considering character and the story.

Asuka's issues are neglected or softened, that's true, but as far as 2.0 is concerned that doesn't make for a worse character. Good characters aren't good because they regress, they're good because of the way they progress or regress. 2.0 made no mistake here, but it presented a different Asuka.

You have no logical or sound reason that actually defends your criticism here. You're either making up shit or completely mixing up the episodes. That you do that alone proves you're wrong.

Again, see >>134056548
If Asuka was no better in NGE, you have literally no reason whatsoever to complain it wasn't different in Rebuild. All in all the reasons you bitch are just dumb butthurt.
>>
>>134056775
Popular != Shallow

If we compare Asuka in 2.0 to Asuka's first few episodes, which run for about the same time, then Asuka is probably more shallow in NGE than in Rebuild.

3.0 Asuka is the most shallow variant to date save for fanart representations, obviously.
>>
File: 1408946640944.jpg (1MB, 1500x984px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408946640944.jpg
1MB, 1500x984px
>>134056691
No kidding there.
>>
>>134056691
>>134056871
>butthurt Asukafags
>>
>>134056851
3.0 Asuka isn't shallow just because you take what she does at face value.

There's obviously a lot of unsaid stuff going through her mind - we are just in Shinji's perspective the whole movie and never get to see exposition.
>>
>>134056448
You can only compare the equivalent amount of time and placement in the story if you want to figure out which is better. It doesn't make sense to compare one movie that runs for barely two hours to an entire series that lasts for eight hours. 2.0 introduces Asuka and sets it up, and so does NGE, those are the only two things you can compare if you want to stick to 2.0's timeframe.
>>
>>134054484
This.

Eva's Lore and world building is actually retarded. The Characters are the only thing worthwhile, and they are jettisoned in the rebuilds for cardboard cutouts to make way for more drawn out fights.
>>
>>134056987
She is shallow because the character has no substance. There's obviously a lot of unsaid stuff going through ANY character's minds.

"We never get to see it" means that it literally isn't there in the movie. If we cut away all of Asuka's screentime in NGE, and left her in for EoE, she'd be an unimaginably shallow character. Depth is built, formed, elaborated and created.

2.0 started something. 3.0 didn't end it nor continue it, it presented something different and out of touch instead, something that was pure fanservice. There's more fighting action with the character than there is dialogue, forget introspection because there is literally none.

There's nothing going through Asuka's mind, only yours - you're projecting onto the 3.0 fanservice asuka doll.
>>
>>134056851
I think that NGE character development was good just because it happened over a long period of time.

Taking into account that the time frame of rebuild is shorter I agree that Asuka is way more characterized
>>
>>134056785
What episodes am I mixing up? Even if you ignore that 2.0 stretches to episode 18 of the series, Asuka is shown having a sexual desire for Kaji that gets dropped completely in 2.0. This desire to do adult things with Kaji is fundamental in defining Asuka's psychosis.

And 2.0 is a worse character because comparing how she's presented in 2.0 to how she's presented in episodes 8-18, there isn't much going for her in 2.0

>>134056652
But that's not how it's working. The breakdown in comparison to the tv series is

Rebuild 1 - episodes 1-6
Rebuild 2 - episodes 8-18
Rebuild 3 - episodes 19-24 (really it's own thing)
Rebuild 4 - EoE
>>
>>134057017
I'm comparing the 2 hour film to 4 hours of a tv series, at the end of the day, the films will have a shorter time frame than the series. Going by your logic, should we not compare the films to the tv series at all? Also, length doesn't necessarily mean something will have more depth.
>>
>>134057107
>But that's not how it's working. The breakdown in comparison to the tv series is
You're wrong. Mathematically AND conceptually.

It'd make 1.0 25%, suddenly make 2.0 50%, and 3.0 12.5% and 4.0 12.5%. This doesn't add up, because each Rebuild is one fourth of the entire story running at approximately the same length more or less.

Rebuild 2 does not "stretch" to episode 18, it at most features a scene from episode 18. Really it is just the first part of the series in both tone and execution, albeit slightly darker.
You literally can't be correct on this one because 1.0 features both Kaworu AND Lilith, meaning we'd be at episode 24 in just the first movie, making the distribution like this:

Rebuild 1 - episodes 1-24
Rebuild 2 - episodes 24.25
Rebuild 3 - episodes 25-26
Rebuild 4 - EoE

Which is flat down retarded.
>>
>>134057231
>I'm comparing the 2 hour film to 4 hours of a tv series
And you don't see a problem with that?

Facts are that 2.0 has four more hours to go idealistically, making it close to the TV-series. If Asuka is only as developed as Asuka was by the first half of NGE, then there's literally no problem here whatsoever.

You're inventing problems where none exist, and you should really, really if you have any self-respect, dignity or reason whatseover, give up on your retarded argumentation. Might as well argue the earth is flat or something.
>>
>>134057260
Never once did I say that rebuilds are a 1:1 presentation of the series, but if you're going to compare Asuka's development in the series with how she's developed in rebuild then you have to look at all what rebuild is covering, and that's the events from episodes 8-18, and reordering some events (like when Shinji visits his mother's grave). Because 2.0 covers this period, we can assess how Asuka's character is portrayed and developed over that period in comparison to how the tv series portrays her character.
>>
>>134057102
>I think that NGE character development was good just because it happened over a long period of time.
It's good also because it's realistic and doesn't do inane things like have a 14-year timeskip lodged in the middle. It goes into the characters and does good with them.

>Taking into account that the time frame of rebuild is shorter I agree that Asuka is way more characterized
Definitely in the beginning, but due to 3.0 that's no longer true. 3.0 wasted it's time.

>>134057107
>What episodes am I mixing up?
You're mixing in and out episodes to fit your argument. You can't logically or reasonably have things at the end of the characters arc at the beginning.

You're complaining that Asuka lacks the depth of the original in 2.0 because she lacks things that wouldn't and shouldn't be present in 2.0 to begin with. If she has no backstory-segment in 2.0, then that's not only fine, it's great because you'd spoil the character and it's development.

2.0 does not stretch to episode 18 any more than 1.0 stretches to episode 24 because they lodged a scene with Kaworu in it. They may switch the scenes around, but they make up a continuous whole which is only representative of the time elapsed and time spent. Including a character or scene from episode 24 in the beginning doesn't turbo-accelarate anyone's development.

>And 2.0 is a worse character because comparing how she's presented in 2.0 to how she's presented in episodes 8-18, there isn't much going for her in 2.0
There isn't much going for Asuka in NGE's first half for Asuka either besides being a pandering character. You can't complain at all.
If you want to complain, complain about 3.0, because that's where the depth should have been.
>>
whens the final movie coming out?

i just wanna be done with this shit
>>
>>134057099
But you can see through her actions and expressions that it isn't quite that simple.

She has matured into a veteran pilot that's very objective focused. But there's still some confliction about Shinji. The same can be said about Misato.

Sure it's not a lot of development, but I'm not sure it's fanservice either.

2.0 was fanservicey, 3.0 was exactly the opposite.
>>
>>134057331
If you go by that logic, then by halfway through NGE (episode 13), Asuka would have been in the show for >88 minutes, which is less than than 2.0. In that case, I could just use your argument, "she's had less time to develop".
>>
>>134057406
>Never once did I say that rebuilds are a 1:1 presentation of the series, but if you're going to compare Asuka's development in the series with how she's developed in rebuild then you have to look at all what rebuild is covering
Which is even due to your own account, clearly and obviously wrong. You say yourself things are missing. It does not cover events from 1-18, and that is obvious for ANYONE to see. So not only is it mathematically wrong, conceptually wrong, it's also clear you're lying about everything now.

It does not cover everything or events from 1-18, and claiming that they do is wrong because the same amount of time has not passed and it does not cover, even thematically, the same things.

The only thing that 2.0 covers is the characters introduction and setup. Nothing more. 3.0 and 4.0 carry the touch onwards with their own story, but they shat that up.

If you don't accept that, then maybe it's time to accept that you don't actually like asuka.
>>
File: 4C5sQim.png (283KB, 896x2600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
4C5sQim.png
283KB, 896x2600px
>>
>>134057462
>But you can see through her actions and expressions that it isn't quite that simple.
>She has matured into a veteran pilot that's very objective focused. B
There is nothing objective here, it is pure fanwank. It is also not developed or matured, it's just presented at best.

Asuka is a hollow doll for fans to project their fanwank onto. The "confliction" is just whatever you want it to be, be it romance or anger.

It is fanservice, and moreso than 2.0 ever was. A character with genuine development and characterization you can concretely refer to (not something you fanwank yourself) in a existing, factual scene or line of dialogue is always less fanservicey than a character without that which is also presented favorably.

2.0 has that sort of substance, regardless of how softly they represent the character and how nicely, 3.0 doesn't and that makes it fanservice.
>>
>>134057439
Shinji's character arc in 2.0 covers the same 10 episode stretch of episodes 8-18 in the series. This is completely different than throwing in a character for 1 scene earlier than before, and you know it. Rei's character in 2.0 is also opening up and becoming more independent as she was up until episode 18/19 of the series.

The events covers these character's arcs, and looking at the preview for 3.0, it looks like it was going to cover events that would be similar to 19-24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGy4RimdR9o
>>
>>134057462
>But there's still some confliction about Shinji.
Why is this anyhow? She's 28(?) now, he's 14(?), it has been 14 years since she believes he destroyed the world

How can she even be conflicted about him at this point?
>>
>>134057491
>If you go by that logic, then by halfway through NGE (episode 13), Asuka would have been in the show for >88 minutes, which is less than than 2.0.
No, because we're not saying she's there for literally that amount of time.

Stop being a fucking disgusting and retarded asukafag. NGE or Rebuild isn't about Asuka, she's just a side-character among many. It runs for ~88 minutes or whatever amount of time, and in that timeframe, it develops the character as it's necessary and as best as it can.

Either way you have no argument that works. Asuka was only a shallow as the original Asuka was.
>>
>>134057627
>Shinji's character arc in 2.0 covers the same 10 episode stretch of episodes 8-18 in the series. This is completely different than throwing in a character for 1 scene earlier than before, and you know it. Rei's character in 2.0 is also opening up and becoming more independent as she was up until episode 18/19 of the series.
Again that's wrong and is based on your fanboyish deluded interpretation of both.

Shinji's character develops in tact with the rest and by the end of the movie, has progressed a great deal that also separates itself from NGE. Hence they are incomparable, much like Asuka's character is also in reality incomparable. The difference is that Rebuild 2.0 for Shinji is more traumatic and there's less time for niceties or regular "safe" action.
Rei's character isn't any more independent than it was by the end of the first half either, and like the other two she's also changed compared to the original.

These events do not cover these characters arcs nor could they ever be expected to. The impossibility of compressing them into that timeframe speaks for itself. What it did do on an objective level was to develop and set up these characters in a new direction. The level of substance for these characters are then, unsurprisingly, not unlike the level the characters had by the end of the first half.

It would then, as one would actually expect, continued in 3.0 and 4.0 in a new direction that also, hopefully, keeps up the standard.

Again:
>There isn't much going for Asuka in NGE's first half for Asuka either besides being a pandering character. You can't complain at all.
>If you want to complain, complain about 3.0, because that's where the depth should have been.

So stop lying to yourself and everyone else. If there's a problem here, it's not with 2.0.
>>
>>134057540
So running through Asuka's arrival, the Sahaquiel, Bardiel, and Zeruel fights while focusing on Shinji becoming more open and assured with himself and Rei becoming more independent isn't covering the same period of events? The only thing 2.0 did was remove/condense the events entailing 9-11, and 13-16 (and 13,14 and 15 were episodes that gave background to Nerv and how Geofront was set up more than anything else. Hell 14 is a recap episode). So really, it's covering episodes 8-18, sans 13, 14 and 15. To equate the events to 2.0 as being nothing more than throwing Kaworu at the end of 1.0 is just dishonesty on your part.
>>
>>134057835
I never said that Shinji's character ends up at the same point, just that in 2.0 he's going through the same character arc that he does from episode 8-18 (growing in confidence, becoming more accepting of his father, and then being able to eventual confront his father and gets in Eva 1.0 because he wants to, not because he's being told to).

Rei also starts to become more independent and open in 2.0 following a similar character path that we see by the end of episode 18 (this is shown in Rebuild by her having Gendou invite Shinji).

Watch episode 8-18 and watch 2.0, and you'll see these two arcs developing on the same trajectory by the time of the Zeruel fight. You can't say that 2.0 only covers up to halfway through NGE, when by episode 13, Shinji isn't close to being at the point to confront Gendou the way he does after the Bardiel fight.

You can bring up the Kaworu scene or Lilith scene from 1.0 all you want, but it's intellectually dishonest.
>>
>>134057847
>So running through Asuka's arrival, the Sahaquiel, Bardiel, and Zeruel fights while focusing on Shinji becoming more open and assured with himself and Rei becoming more independent isn't covering the same period of events?
No. Like you yourself point out in your own post, it does not cover those events. You mention removal or condensation, and you should be able to tell that new things are being added as well. The subject matter of these episodes is what it covers, you are making a terrible and stupid mistake by pretending it follows the same course when it literally veered off it before 1.0 even ended.

Shoving Kaworu and Lilith into 1.0 changes more or less everything about say, Misato's arc and her relation to NERV, now that they're openly housing literal Angels.

>To equate the events to 2.0 as being nothing more than throwing Kaworu at the end of 1.0 is just dishonesty on your part.
Dishonesty is you still not being able to accept you're wrong, when you even point out why you're wrong in your own posts. That's your own fanboy delusion, and you should grow up and abandon it.

At the end of the day, we consider the product of 2.0 compared to the product of the continuation after Ramiel.
Asuka was, given the allotted time, a shallow character that served only to fight.
In Rebuild, Asuka is still similarly shallow but actually has some more hints at a deeper character.

It is a different character, because as I said, things have changed. The problem is that you don't want to accept HOW it's different, because the truth will make Asuka look bad.
That's why you pretend early NGE asuka was a deep character when she was not.
>>
>>134058068
Again you have no point being made here. The character arcs and the story is by your own admission, not covered (because things are missing and whatnot). This glaring contradiction in your own argumentation makes your entire time spent in this thread completely wasted except as a sad demonstration of how deluded some Asuka "fans" really are.

It's not intellectually dishonest to point out the fact that Kaworu or Lilith is included in 1.0, because it has the exact same implications for both Kaworu's and Misato's character, as well as huge implications for Shinji.

Rebuild is telling a story by crafting characters, and Shinji's, Asukas or Rei's develop differently than they did in NGE. This is not up for debate, because they do to the point that it's arguably said so in ways that nearly breaks the fourth wall in 2.0. We all agree it's different.

But when it comes to depth and quality, comparing a character that's been present in the story for more than twice the time doesn't make sense and is an invalid argument in itself.
Complaining that Asuka lacks elements that not only comes later in the original story in the early part of the new story, but also would make no sense storywise to include, is also utterly ridiculous.

You're being dishonest, intellectually and respectully here by pretending that the only reason you aren't complaining or pretending to have any valid argument at all isn't because you're a butthurt Asukafag angry that Shinji saved Rei or something.

You can't spend as much time as you have on something, and then be THIS brutally wrong about something.
>>
These are 90s-esque moeshitlike.
>>
>>134058485
>>
File: kawaiii uguu.jpg (84KB, 600x599px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kawaiii uguu.jpg
84KB, 600x599px
>>134058599
>>
>>134058485
Why is Shinji so cute?
>>
>>134054484
I don't mind the lore in eva much, it's pretty basic sci fi. But 3.33 shat the bed with raising too many questions when it should be answering the ones it already had from the first two movies and fleshing out the characters.
>>
>>134058485
>>134058633
>>134058599

It annoys me they try to make Kaworu a girl more. What's with the female angel atop his head?
>>
>>134058485
>>134058599
>>134058633
>>134058703
>>>/cm/
>>
>>134058599
>>134058485

Rei looks cute.
>>
>>134057662
Bad writing. To add to this she knew him for what, 2 weeks?
>>
>>134058318
I'm not even an Asuka shipper, so you're entire argument is invalid. I could talk about Misato, because quite frankly, she's even more shallow in the rebuild films compared to any other character. My dislike for Shinji pulling Rei has nothing to do with Asuka, but has to do with the fact one of the best aspects of Eva was showing that breaking out of the depression cycle isn't something that's easy to do. It added weight to every character when they would try to improve, but keep failing. Even in episode 18, when Shinji started using boku and began the fight with Zeruel, there is still this sense that even at his "manliest", he'll need need a lot of work to break out of the rut.

And yes, it is dishonest to bring up Kaworu and Lilith, especially Kaworu. Kaworu A) doesn't interact with Shinji in anyway in 1.0, and B) Kaworu appearing does nothing in comparing how the characters are developed during 1.0 and the corresponding episodes of NGE.
>comparing a character that's been present in the story for more than twice the time doesn't make sense and is an invalid argument in itself.
Again character depth is not dependent on the amount of time that is spent on a character. Hal9000 has more character depth that Touma in Raildex even though the latter has hours of story time content. There's more depth to Shinji than there is to InuYasha. You can compare depth by looking at how characters interact, what their needs and wants are, how they go about facing those needs and wants, and if in the time frame of the story those characters are presented as feeling real. And honestly, I don't get that from Rebuild.

>>134058089
Your entire argument presupposes that I'm an Asukafag. The rebuild films also gimp Ritsuko, Kaji and Misato then add Mari who serves no purposes to the story in terms of character.
>>
>>134058664
It did just that for a reason. 3.0 is made by and for people who were dissatisfied with NGE. It's their rebranding of the original characters to better suit them now and in the future.
Of course it would have to abandon the old and ignore every continuation of it.

>>134058763
>>134057662
It's bad writing, but she's portrayed like this since it panders.
>>
>>134058781
>Your entire argument presupposes that I'm an Asukafag.
It does not do that in the slightest. The entire post only mentions asukafaggotry at the end, when all the arguments are laid forth and done.

If you actually had a problem with say, Ritsuko being mostly removed from the stage, you'd have a problem with that since that's an actual fact unlike the nonsense you made up about Asuka.
>>
>>134058781
>I'm not even an Asuka shipper, so you're entire argument is invalid.
Considering my argument in no way relies on that, I'm still good, and FYI you're a tripfag and I already known you're full of shit when you say that.
It's your argument that's invalid and hopping over to another discussion now isn't going to help you.

>And yes, it is dishonest to bring up Kaworu and Lilith, especially Kaworu.
Failed to mention Lilith or counter the Misato argument there I see. Nice try but your point is invalid, especially since all you prerequisites for Asuka earlier was mere mentions or inclusions in the story, which validates the Kaworu example.

My argument did concern Misato anyway.

>Again character depth is not dependent on the amount of time that is spent on a character.
It is, but it is not the only a factor and I would never claim that either. A character with zero screentime has less depth than any character with screentime for the obvious extreme. Screentime helps build depth. Screentime is necessary to make characters with depth, because development and characterization can ONLY happen over time.

You can mismanage said time, but as shown earlier that isn't the case here for Asuka in 2.0 alone. Time spent is a relevant factor here because this is the same character, not two different characters in two different stories.


Please accept that you're wrong please. A reasonable man would concede his point by now.
>>
>>134058834
My entire post mentions Asuka, because you've been bringing up Asuka. If I were an Asukafag, wouldn't I supposedly love 3.0 because it gives her character focus and gives Rei a bit part?
>>
>>134059018
>My entire post mentions Asuka, because you've been bringing up Asuka.
No, you brought up Asuka in the very beginning of this thread. Here: >>134055052

You bitch solely about Asuka for NO good reason at all, using made up points and lies that's been easily proven wrong in this thread and countless before it no doubt.
You're not going to be able to sell to me that you're not biased.

>If I were an Asukafag, wouldn't I supposedly love 3.0 because it gives her character focus and gives Rei a bit part?
Considering the fact that you've completely left out any criticism for it when it is logically the only part you can criticize for Asuka's failed character as per today, then it's likely that you are.

I'm not saying you are, but if you wanted to actually criticize choices 2.0 made, then picking some actual choices it made would be a great start. Because making Asuka a "generic tsundere" as if she wasn't by the start of her intro in NGE ain't one of them.
>>
>>134058992
I didn't fail to mention Lilith. It falls on the same argument as Kaworu. The only thing that showing Lilith changes is that now Misato knows in advance that Lilith is there. This does nothing for how her character develops (i.e her psychological issues). On the other hand, the events of 2.0 contain the same character trajectory that Shinji follows from episodes 8-18.
>Screentime is necessary to make characters with depth
Hal9000 has little screen time, Hannibel Lector has little screentime. Writing, acting (in this case character animation and expression), how they react to x,y,z all matter more for depth than time.

Asuka in 2.0 goes through an arc similar to that of what you'll find in any Saturday night cartoon in terms of her "learning" to understand other people. It's a simple and shallow character arc that's capped with the 5 minute speech of how she's grown has a person. If they wanted her to have more in-depth characterization, then why not save it for 3.0? Why give her an arc and finish it in 1 film if time is an issue?
>>
>>134059148
>Considering the fact that you've completely left out any criticism for it
Maybe, just maybe the reason that I left out criticism for it is because the replies to my first post were these:
>>134054453
>>134054498
Why argue against 3.0 when no one is saying that it's good?
>Because making Asuka a "generic tsundere" as if she wasn't by the start of her intro in NGE ain't one of them.
Again, I've already made the argument that since 2.0 goes through a similar character trajectory that Shinji goes through from episodes 8-18, then Asuka's character should be looked at from that stretch as well.
>>
>>134059283
>I didn't fail to mention Lilith. It falls on the same argument as Kaworu. The only thing that showing Lilith changes is that now Misato knows in advance that Lilith is there. This does nothing for how her character develops (i.e her psychological issues).
Now THAT'S intellectually dishonest.

Misato's psychology, concerning her hatred for the angels, concerning the clandestine nature of NERV keeping Lilith down there, coupled with Misato's shock at what was going on, is now replaced by a smile and hand-holding.

Quit being a filthy liar. This has had a huge effect. It's shocking, forbidden knowledge tossed around casually that in NGE, made Misato distrustful of NERV.

>Hal9000 has little screen time, Hannibel Lector has little screentime.
They all have some screentime, which was necessary to make them what they are. Neither are particularly fleshed out or deep in their respective movies.

>Asuka in 2.0 goes through an arc similar to that of what you'll find in any Saturday night cartoon in terms of her "learning" to understand other people.
Which is better than what Asuka has in NGE, where the one instance where she does that early on was even worse.

Asuka is a simple and shallow character early on. Own up to it. It's not capped, it's not ended, it's in fact set up for a greatest continuation, the betrayal of said "friendship" lecture with the Bardiel incident.

Your lack of knowledge and ability in analyzing characters doesn't apply here anon. Her arc was as a character not finished, and it's your extremely shortsighted and narrowsighted mentality that makes you even suggest it, that "making progress of any kind means the end of the character".

In NGE, Shinji learns that lesson and unlearns it a few episode later. This make Shinji a dynamic, good character that Asuka never was or never will be. 2.0 set Asuka up for the same type of greatness.
>>
>>134059435
>Maybe, just maybe the reason that I left out criticism for it is because the replies to my first post were these:
You made the first criticism anon, therefore you left it out unaffected. You talk about Rebuild but only mention 2.0, your bias is obvious. Give up and accept that you're wrong.

>Why argue against 3.0 when no one is saying that it's good?
Because we aren't trying to say things everyone is saying or no one is saying, we're trying to determine something or discuss something. You leaving it out is again, just bias and an outright refusal to accept reality and much less understanding it.

Because 3.0 being such a central point in ruining Asuka's rebuild character, you leaving it out makes no sense if you're going to understand what makes asuka a bad character.

>Again, I've already made the argument that since 2.0 goes through a similar character trajectory that Shinji goes through from episodes 8-18, then Asuka's character should be looked at from that stretch as well.
Your argument has been made invalid by earlier post, including your own where you admit that it does not cover that stretch. It should not, and can not, be looked from that stretch. It will never make sense to do so. Accept it and move on.

The facts are, the indisputable and most centrally undeniable things we can assert is that Rebuild's intro of Asuka is no more shallow than the original's Rebuild. That's it. That ends your entire argument. You choosing any arbitrary point of view that inherently invalidates your comparison doesn't change anything.
>>
>>134059561
>Misato's psychology, concerning her hatred for the angels, concerning the clandestine nature of NERV keeping Lilith down there, coupled with Misato's shock at what was going on, is now replaced by a smile and hand-holding
But it does nothing for her character, when you consider that I've already mentioned that her, Ritsuko and Kaji have been gimped in the rebuild films.You can say that it's further proof of them gimping her character, but since she hasn't shown any character arc, her showing Shinji Lilith does nothing to her. She's a 1D character in Rebuild.
>>134059688
My first post mentions both 2.0 and 3.0, stating that 3.0 is even shittier than 2.0. I don't continue with 3.0, because no one in this thread (at least the posts replied to me) have defended 3.0. I stated initially that 2.0 and 3.0 were shit, and the replies to my post were a rebuttal to my 2.0 statement, not my 3.0 statement, thus talk about 3.0 from that point on would be moot.
>>
File: 30+10.png (362KB, 500x708px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
30+10.png
362KB, 500x708px
>Two people arguing over waifus
Let me try to save this.

>>134052881
I heard that 4.0 is now going to be called 3.0 + 1.0.
One idea I had was that this is done to show 3.0+1.0 will contain all the crap that 3.0 left unanswered.
Or it can be related to the sequel theory. With 3.0 + 1.0 being the true sequel to 1.0 and 2.0?

Interesting food for thought IMO.
>>
>>134052881
>11/27/15
>I finished the TV series for the first time 2 weeks ago

Holy fuck stop posting and kill yourself.
>>
>>134060007
>But it does nothing for her character,
It establishes her as not having any problems with Angels in the basement, as well as not being at all interested in why NERV houses one, it also makes her privvy to extremely hard-to-accept knowledge like the definite origins of mankind.

It has an effect, and it has an effect that only shows itself in the later portion of NGE, and therefore your argument that bases itself on how the story should "stretch" towards a certain episode because it includes something from that episodes, is wrong.

Your argument concerning Asuka and everything else this thread has been wrong. It's been proven objectively and clearly, not accepting it means you're crazy and deluded at this point.
>>
File: 1438568066778.jpg (126KB, 328x351px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1438568066778.jpg
126KB, 328x351px
>>134060036
>Two people arguing over waifus
When will Reifags stop pretending they're above everyone when all they care about is they're waifu.
>>
>>134060036
>Interesting food for thought IMO.
If you're brainless and don't actually like to think. Everything you said was meaningless.
>>
>>134060078
Dude, I have posted, like, maybe 5-6 times in this thread?

Whats your issue?
>>
>>134060036
That was completely uninteresting
>>
>>134060158
>>134060348
I just wanted to get the 2 people arguing about Asuka to stop.

Obviously not very well.
>>
>>134060387
There's no arguing, Asuka is a shitty shallow character in the start, only the tripfag doesn't want to face that fact.
>>
>>134060415
I feel that you are both being unreasonable but whatever
>>
>>134060415
>Reifags are still this mad
>>
File: 1389758314944.jpg (76KB, 432x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1389758314944.jpg
76KB, 432x600px
>>134060415
May the master destroy Rei for good and free eva threads from obnoxious Reifags.
>>
>>134060545
>>134060585
>butthurt asukafags
>>
File: 1388442629921.jpg (1MB, 2000x3500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1388442629921.jpg
1MB, 2000x3500px
>>134060824
No one can top Reifags when it comes to butthurt.
>>
>>134060876
Except butthurt asukafags.
>>
File: 1353073938296.png (180KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1353073938296.png
180KB, 800x1200px
>>134060928
Asukafags have no reason to be butthurt.
>>
File: asuka loves kaji.png (1MB, 1452x1050px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
asuka loves kaji.png
1MB, 1452x1050px
>>134061010
They were pretty butthurt about the manga making Asuka in love with Kaji for some reason
>>
File: 1403812373198.jpg (2MB, 1292x1939px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403812373198.jpg
2MB, 1292x1939px
>>134061186
It will never match Reifags butthurt over the manga and Rebuild.
>>
ONE QUESTION:
>Is Rebuild's story GENUINELY beyond the point of saving?
>>
>>134061224
When you count how butthurt they were about Kaworu winning the shinjibowl in the 90's to this day it seems even to me to be quite honest
>>
File: 1403560169461.jpg (1MB, 1647x2306px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403560169461.jpg
1MB, 1647x2306px
>>134061492
>implying Reifag are not as butthurt over that
>>
>>134060415
Yummy yummy.

Butthurt Reifag tears in my tummy!
>>
File: Anno success.png (83KB, 256x197px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Anno success.png
83KB, 256x197px
Rebuild is a just a medium for Anno's real end, financing his own projects and getting the trust of the big shots of the industry. All this shit started when Anno demanded to have the rights of Eva back to 2006. Until that point the ownership was a mess between Gainax, Tatsunoko and others. On 2009 I think, Anno got the rights so every Eva-related merchandise has the Khara logo, not Gainax. The point is that Anno is the sole owner of the franchise now so he can do whatever he wants, what mean Animator Expo and his toku stuff. Also, Anno is in charge now of the upcoming Godzilla reboot. For more than a decade Godzilla has been absented from Japanese theaters for lack of interest and he was forced to work on Hollywood. Anno is obviously butthurt, both as a toku aficionado and as a nostalgic for the Japanese empire. Rebuild bring Anno mainstream attention so the investors can trust on him now. His pasts movies were low budget projects but now he has a Japanese icon under his shoulders.
>>
>>134061492
Asukafag here.

Not butthurt at all. As long as Asuka is alive and has a chance of happiness, I don't care about who gets Shinji. Not all of us are shipperfags.
>>
File: The OTP.jpg (84KB, 463x617px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
The OTP.jpg
84KB, 463x617px
>>134058703
Kaworu is now presented as either a girl or straight.
>>
>>134063993
>literally dating female shinji
>>
>>134052881

I haven't watched this in a long time, nor do I really care that much about evangelion, but I'll bite.

>What's the point of Asuka not aging? Actually, what's the point of a 14 year time skip?

Asuka doesn't age because that's apparently a side-effect of piloting the EVAs for as long as she did. There ought to be side effects to something like an EVA literally interfacing with your body. The time skip seems like a plot buffer.

>Why does nobody realize that Shinji has no idea what he did?

They can't risk emotional instability, their ship is built around/from his EVA.

>How many people did the partial third impact take out? It seems like almost everyone, but how do they support the evas and the flying ship?

I don't know, that's one thing I was never able to wrap my head around. Where did they get the resources or funding for all of this shit? How does either side sustain any of this?

It seems like the remaining personnel of NERV consists of Dr. Ikari, Rei, and Kaworu.

How were any of these EVAs maintained?

>Why does Asuka forgive Shinji at the end after irrationally hating him for so long?

14 years is long enough to harden anyone's heart. She's probably just tired of his shit, even after 14 years apart.
>>
>>134064296

>What's the point of Asuka not aging?

Stick around your mother for long enough and you'll never grow up
>>
>>134063993
>not!Kaworu dating girl!Shinji

Well, at least we know Shinji's the woman of the relationship.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 18


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.