[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want someone to seriously explain to me why Madoka Magica is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

File: 141082257173.png (116KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
141082257173.png
116KB, 360x480px
I want someone to seriously explain to me why Madoka Magica is so popular
And yes I have watched it
>>
Because it contains the best girl.
Madoka
>>
Same reason KyoAni shows are popular.
>>
>>133976347
Cute and dark. People dig that shit.
>>
>>133976347
It's well written in the sense that it has a compact plot that advances quickly and builds upon it's premise naturally.
>>
In Madoka's case you had to be there back when it was airing to understand why it was a big deal. Otherwise it's hopeless.
>>
File: critic.jpg (99KB, 560x683px) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
99KB, 560x683px
You ask why it was so great? Well, let me provide some perspective for you:

What made madoka outstanding instead of just good was not any single aspect but the combination of many different things playing together. It's basically more than the sum of its parts:
- all star staff (gen, shinbo, kajiura&pets, ume)
- inu curry's designs fitting the witch realms instead of just coming off as "oh, shaft being shaft again"
- well-executed setup: bait and switch, completed by withholding the grim ED until the pivotal episode
- character interactions driving the plot and vice versa. a virtous circle
- good pacing, no filler, practically no plotline left untied
- motivation of each girl was quite clear
- good division of arcs between the characters. each of them served their purpose
- multi-faceted, foreshadowed ending
- good voice acting
- fan-fodder to analyze (faust, runes, symbolism)
- while all the suffering made the show a good contrast to the genre conventions it didn't go overboard with that. It didn't veer into grimdark "let's torture them so more for no purpose at all" territory
- all that practically without T&A fanservice
- genre-unconventional storytelling. the titular character becoming the magical girl not as opening move but as grand finale
>>
File: critic2.jpg (104KB, 554x737px) Image search: [Google]
critic2.jpg
104KB, 554x737px
>>133979329
(cont.)

They also didn't fall into any of the genre-typical tropes.
- Attempt to revive sayaka with the power of friendship/appealing to willpower? Failed.
- Homura becoming a battle-hardend terminator and saving the day? No.
- Sayaka becoming a hero of justice? No.
- Mami being the team-mom and building a magical girl squad? No.
- Madoka saving everyone in the end? No.
- QB being either evil or the ever-helpful critter? Neither.
- Timetravel as plot-reset or making past choices undoable? No

Of course no work is every purely original, some aspects will always have been done before or are inspired by a predecessor, but bringing it all together and making them work as a whole is what makes madoka a masterpiece.

Even the side characters were great for the little screen time they got. Madoka's mom and teacher having that conversation felt... like actually having a concerned parent not being sure what to do about her child.
>>
File: critic3.jpg (66KB, 710x1124px) Image search: [Google]
critic3.jpg
66KB, 710x1124px
>>133979355
And that was just the internal evidence. Now to external evidence of its greatness:

- *gatari-level sales. that is practically unheard of for an anime-original, non-franchised show in its first season
- the only show that could stay on top of the earthquake discussions on 2chan
- international theatrical movie release within a year of its airing. i don't think any other show can claim that
- plus another movie to expand the story, in such a short time frame, which also sold well
- it got its own fucking art exhibition
- widespread appeal despite airing at otaku-a-clock
- many awards
- was even submitted to the oscars
- praised by many bigwigs in the anime industry
>>
>>133979329
>>133979355
>>133979393
>>
>>133976347
It was millennials' first anime.
>>
>>133978795
basically this
>>
File: 1367172189965.jpg (36KB, 448x253px) Image search: [Google]
1367172189965.jpg
36KB, 448x253px
Because at the time, hearing SHAFT making a magical girl show directed by Shinbo, characters designed by Ume and written by Urobutcher was like the second coming of christ.
>>
>>133980308
let's not forget miss self-plagiarizing composer
>>
All of this made Madoka great!

But the threads always devolve into tripfag shitposting and being accused if being a tripfag. Everything to discuss has been discussed.

We need a new something now, I just feel like those April Fools things have more to them and are not just >hey were still here!
>>
File: madokaisgud.png (93KB, 1211x695px) Image search: [Google]
madokaisgud.png
93KB, 1211x695px
>>133979329
>>133979355
>>133979393
>>
>>133980935
i'll start. Become meguca
>>
>>133981366
No.
>>
>>133979393
- made Aoi Yuuki won the 6th Seiyuu Award for best lead actress and partially responsible of her becoming the sought after voice actress she is today.
>>
File: 1441038394434.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1441038394434.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
Cute girls
lesbians
cute enemies
lesbians
cute aesthetics
lesbians
magical girl
lesbians
cute, meek protag
lesbians
"deconstruction of magical girl anime"
lesbians
"superflat"
lesbians
intense character drama
lesbians

That's just the tip.
>>
Don't get it either, it's fedora tier garbage.
>>
>>133981366
Go ahead and sacrifice your self, anon. I hope your ass is fucked hard in April.
I'm going to wait like a normal person
>>
>>133979393
You are the true hero Madoka Magica threads need.
>>
>>133982657
But aren't you anon?
>>
>>133982881
No, sorry, anon. I'm anon. You seem to be confused.
>>
>>133976347
Did you watch it?
>>
I need to get banned for a certain reason, so I'll just say this real quick. It is really unfair how they banned people who are against crack under the premise that they derail threads, but in actuality it was the crack shippers themselves actively trying to derail threads by baiting. It is also unfair how crack shippers get to attack and harass people with no consequences at all.
>>
>>133983083
All of you guys look the same

>>133984001
Why?
>>
File: tips fedora.png (174KB, 267x260px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.png
174KB, 267x260px
>>133984001
Crack ship poster here

The main reason I was baiting was because of how ridiculously obsessed one of the posters was to the show. I'm pretty sure he was a troll, but for fucks sake, that was some next level autism in that last thread.

That said, you're right. The end result is a derailed thread with more shitposting than actual content. Because of that, I'll stop the crackposting on my end from now on, hopefully that'll stop a bit of the derailing. I can't say about the others, since there was probably one or two more crackposters, but the majority was from me, so my stopping should put a brake on things.

Sorry, Anons. Anti-cracker's butthurt got to my head a little. Will cut the shitposting from now on.
>>
>>133984055
JUSTFUCKINGLEAVE
>>
>>133984463
Nah. Just kidding. Bed time.
>>
>>133984318
It won't stop anything he'll shitpost when he feels like it.

>>133984463
Apple isn't the problem here.

>>133984644
Night. Going to have a nice Thanksgiving tomorrow?
>>
File: portrait of elegance.png (234KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
portrait of elegance.png
234KB, 600x677px
>>133984001
If you knowing take bait that is obviously bait then you are just as much as the person doing the baiting.

For fuck's sake, /v/ is more capable of ignoring bait than most /a/nons in this thread.

Also, ACK gets banned for ban evasion and breaking the flaming rules

>>133984318
>I'll stop the crackposting on my end from now on

The hero /a/ deserves.
>>
File: kyubey's wild ride.png (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
kyubey's wild ride.png
38KB, 250x250px
>>133985498
>knowing take bait
>you are just as much as the person

I cannot into syntax right now.
>>
>>133984318
You're talking to a person who often tells you off for god awful bad posting. Thank you proving you can recognize "styping styles" in the least.

And I was never "butthurt", literally ever.

>>133985498
You are replying to yourself. Stop doing this. And no. It is not about evasion, because I personally know multiple people who have been banned for just telling you off.

You are not at fault for telling someone off for baiting. Mods used to encourage this
>>
>>133986884
>You are replying to yourself. Stop doing this. And no. It is not about evasion, because I personally know multiple people who have been banned for just telling you off.

Just how delusional are you? >>133985498 and >>133985676 are both me and no one gets banned just for "telling me off". Get a life and stop playing QC patrol in anime threads.
>>
>>133987734
Yes, people do get banned just for telling you off, and you can test it yourself. Because all you have to do is pose as two sides of an argument with proxies and see how only one proxy gets banned. The one who tells off crack posters. And your behavior is bad no matter what, as well is the people you defend.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.