[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Death Note >Naruto >Fullmetal Alchemist >DBZ >Attack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

File: 1430993365115.png (178KB, 557x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1430993365115.png
178KB, 557x1066px
>Death Note
>Naruto
>Fullmetal Alchemist
>DBZ
>Attack on Titan
>Sword Art Online

What particular set of traits makes these gateway anime? Why do they appeal to gaijin normies more than other anime?
>>
They're action-focused shows, light in the drama department.
>>
>>133960207
>Attack on Titan
>Light in Drama

>Death Note
>Action Focused

Close but no shekel
>>
>>133960089
>normies
Fuck off.
>>
>>133960089
Not as reliant on the pervy shit that's over-abundant in other anime so they don't have to feel embarrassed when showing other people.
>>
>>133960089
The only gateway anime is NGE
>>
>>133960089
They all aired on adult swim
>>
>>133960089
They are well-known and have dubs.
>>
File: m12.png (637KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
m12.png
637KB, 1280x720px
>>133960089
They're good.
>>
Mediocre and accessible. Lots of "epic" moments. Basically closer to western cartoons
>>
>>133960248
I think he is correct, the Drama is often forced, or just not that good.

Death note is definitely action-oriented, the action is just not overblown like the other series in question, the story is actually weak and lacking, which is why it falls short during the last 10-15 episodes.

Another thing is the lack of traits generally associated with Japanese animation, these shows usually have a high male:female ratio, only having like 2-3 girls at most. The girls are not sexualized and the shows don't try to appeal to Otakus that much.

In short, they're normalfag shit that you should generally avoid
>>
They are the most easily accessible

As in they were on television in prime slots unlike the vast majority of anime and subsequently easily found online when people wanted more than that.

I saw Dragon Ball at a young age like everyone. I even watched Naruto early on because it was one of the only damn animation related things, not just cartoons, anyone would talk about. I didn't even know anything about manga besides relegated sections in book stores (which they are still in, albeit somewhat larger).
>>
They're not as anime-y

It's kind of like putting milk in your coffee, it makes it more familiar and easier to tolerate
>>
>>133960861
Some people drink coffe without milk?
>>
>>133960891
Yes, because some people enjoy the taste of coffee rather than the taste of milk.
>>
>>133960861
A better way to put it is, entry level shows are not full of the tropes and character archetypes that are almost exclusive to anime. A regular person has no idea what a "Sunder" is, just that she is a bitch and needs to fuck off. This MC guy needs to man the fuck up and bang one of these chicks already. Also what is with these tones of homosexuality and incest? Fuck that.
>>
>>133961021
Well yeah but that's less fun than an over-simplified analogy
>>
One punch man

feels bad man
>>
>>133960920
But coffee is like bread and butter
You cant enjoy the butter without the bread
>>
File: welltipped.jpg (44KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
welltipped.jpg
44KB, 500x281px
>>133960861
>Black Coffee
>>
>>133960089
fights, edge, blood, bitches, MC who is the choosen one and is the one of strongest shit in his world, etc
>>
>>133960089
Each has their own reason, but the popularity in western audiences is pretty huge, and that comes from having solid dubs, normies find subs awkward at first. An exception to that being SAO which imo has a shit dub, but its popularity among the gamer crowd, especially people who were mmo fans over the past 2 decades, can't be ignored.

Another thing anons have pointed out is a lack of more common tropes, moe-shit is only funny to people who get the parodies and know 2d>3d

The last nail in the coffin being availability, I've seen many of these broadcast on various tv channels over the years, I first saw death note on tv on a trip to Italy, it was just on one of the cable channels.
>>
>>133960089
>pic related

sakura's so lovable that's why naruto is a good gateway anime. trust me. she's top tier waifu material
>>
Most start with dbz mainly because they grew up with it, a lot of my peers growing up thought naruto was stupid, recently i was assisting a friend at a summer school program and the kids there seemed to like sword art.

attack on titan was like a no brainer though with toonami airing that shit
>>
Try showing normies jojo. they like the 1st and 2nd season, but holy shit when 3 comes in they either really get into it or are horrified. Fuck can't wait for part 4 to be animated just to see how new people adjust to that.
>>
>>133961130
I find this photo disgusting. Maybe it's the fact that he's so fat the mask can't cover the entirety of his face.
>>
AoT hooks people by showing really brutal gorey stuff from episode 1, on top of that you gotta admit the titans do look positively disturbing in a manner you don't see in mainstream media most of the time.

Death Note's art is pretty superb, the concept is very appealing since it's simple to explain and plays into some fantasies people might have. Also the L/Light relation is pretty dang amusing.

FMA is just all around solid, it doesn't really excel at anything once you're past the tragic stuff in the first half but it has a consistent quality and doesn't really require too much thought to enjoy.

DBZ is about as straightforward as you can get with shonen action, goofy protags, punches, beams and no bullshit and for its time the animation was p on point and exotic to Westerners.

Naruto is kinda similar to DBZ in that aspect, Naruto being a victim of prejudice who tries to remain ambitious also appeals to A LOT of people (bullying victims, discriminated minorities).

No idea about SAO, never watched it, IIRC it invokes that power fantasy escapism pretty heavily so maybe that.
>>
>>133961428
I think the people watching part 4's anime are the ones who embraced the Stand concept entirely. The watchers obsessed with the Hamon already dropped it.
>>
>>133961753
Good, I don't use Tumblr, but has the "so fabulous lol" meme died off at this point?

Jojo is a good series, but god does the community make me want to kill myself
>>
>>133961021
>>133960551
I'd go with these. Then again, it's not like any of the anime OP listed aren't popular in Japan as well.
>>
>>133960089
Bebop. Those anime you've listed sucks in people who want to get into anime but Bebop sucks in people who have no interest in kawaii shit,
>>
>>133960286
Go back to 9gag or /b/ normie
>>
>>133960574
NEG is the normie filter, it leaves 2 tastes in different people's mouths. Either "I'm never watching anime again" or "I need more of this shit"
>>
>Melodramma
>Lots of actions
>Dubs are accessible in many countries
>Always on tv
>Easy characters
>Start watching those shows when you're a teen or kid so lower standards and nostalgia when you're older
>Not perverted
>Not moéblob
>>
>>133960861
They are anime-ish but you don't need to know a whole lot about other cultures to get into them since they exist in their own world, non of this "It's the Summer festival and I've no date for the fire works" stuff that makes no sense to us ghost face killahs
>>
>>133961428
Jojofags are like that one person who always fucking brings up their BF or GF at every possible situation
>>
>>133961809
I got sucked in by Bebop, yet I watch all the haremshit and CGDCT shows each season
>>
>>133961791
>allowing other people to influence your enjoyment of something
Anon, please.

On the other hand, animeonlyfags are in for a treat. Soon they will realize how The World is one of the less strange stands.
>>
>>133961428
I don't know why people think Jojo is so outlandish. If it ever airs in America people will enjoy it like every other shonen. I mean if anything Part 3 is the generic adventure plot with a new type of power which isn't that hard to understand or adapt to.
>>
>>133961937
Well ya, same here, mind you it took a LONG TIME! Bebop was the only anime liked for years when I was a young teen. Then my friend got me to watch some Shonen and /v/ tier shite. Ever since 2 years only I've gone off the rails and dwelled into moé and try to keep up as many shows as I can per season.
To put that in perspective I've watched 40 anime, have 60+ plus in my backlog and she's seen like 15 and is currently watching Tumbler Who and GOT. Soz for the blog post but my point is ya, Bebop can be just as a dangerous gateway drug as K on or Lucky Star
>>
>>133961963
I figured that by now you don't have to preface every mention of fangroup with how "the fanbase does not affect my opinion of the series".

It's like how LOGH is one of my favorite anime(OVA), but the fanbase who constantly try to appear high and mighty are a huge annoyance.
In other words, I was merely adressing the issue of the annoying fanbase.
>>
>>133962030
As a Steven Universe fan I totally get never wanting to be associated with the fan base of something
>>
>>133962029
>she
You seem to have a case of normalfag, coupled with the fact that you have only watched 40 shows I think makes it far, far too early for you to judge other's anime taste.

Lurk more, watch more, then you get my permission to post
>>
>>133962080
>she
Have no idea why I typed that, he's a he
>>
>>133962015
its because of how feminine some of the most masculine characters are portrayed, had an acquaintance tell me he thought part 2 and 3 was "homo" due to the designs.
>>
I think it's great when anime appeals to not anime fans; that shows how fun and sonehow diverse the thing is.
What I don't find great is when said not anime fans want the entre medium to change and fit their personal tastes, everyone else be damned.
>>
>>133961839
This
>>
>>133960800
>The girls are not sexualized and the shows don't try to appeal to Otakus that much.

i dont think that was such a bad thing anon..
>>
>>133961827
>posts on bangladeshi imageboard
>calls others normies
>>
Normie here. These shows aren't full of gay shit that you faggot weebs are into.

/thread
>>
>>133961428
JoJo is terrible though.
>>
>>133960089
That they're good but you're jealous because your garbage moe manga is not popular.
>>
>>133963489
Depends on the show, some shows benefit from fanservice, while others get worse by it.
>>
>Death Note
It's dark, suspenseful, and much more mature than most shonen. It's one hell of an anime thriller.

>Naruto
It's diverse in it's environments and plot settings.

>Fullmetal Alchemist
Haven't watched a lot of it so no comment...

>DBZ
It embodies everything great about Shonen... particularly early on.

>Attack on Titan
It embodies modern day and post-apocalyptic hopelessness. Also like Death Note, it's darker and much more mature than most shonen.

>Sword Art Online
It's wish-fullfillment popcorn flick.
>>
>>133965337
>It embodies everything great about Shonen... particularly early on.

I think you meant to say parodies. DBZ is parody of Shonen and martial arts anime in general.

Problem is, us americlaps got DBZ before we got the material it was parodying. So we didn't get it.
>>
>>133960089
>Fullmetal Alchemist
This is the only decent series out of the bunch.
>>
>>133960600
But they only aired because of the huge normie following.
>>
Can you all fuck off with "normie" and just use "normalfag" instead of acting like newfag autists? Piss off.
>>
File: 1438201991533.jpg (44KB, 500x642px) Image search: [Google]
1438201991533.jpg
44KB, 500x642px
>ctrl+f "normie"
>9 results
>Using normie unironically

r9k-tier meme. Even Reddit would use 'normie' these days.
>>
>>133965337
>It's dark, suspenseful, and much more mature than most shonen. It's one hell of an anime thriller.

Fuck that. It's literally Yugioh just without card games.
>>
>>133960089
Because Shounen is the japanese equivalent of Hollywood.
>>
>>133960089
The fact that people who were already watching anime are spamming the whole internet with it, making it obvious choices to start with people who are thinking about getting into anime.
>>
>>133965337
>and much more mature than most shonen
>mature
Death Note is just Bakuman with heart attacks. The structure is the same. It's far from "mature".
>>
>>133961130
>>133960891
>>133961125

I find it absolutely astonishing that so many people think black coffee is "strange"
Where the fuck do you cunts even live? It's relatively commonplace in the Netherlands.
>>
>>133960089

They're the best of the best, so they get translated to like 30 languages and air on tv in many counties. You can cry all you want about 'muh gateway animu' and 'entry level', but you know full well that [anything in that list] > [your favorite anime] both in quality and sales.
>>
>>133960821
>>133960861

Yeah. Everyone, think about what drew you to anime in the first place. In my case, it was because American kids cartoons just weren't cutting it anymore. Remember Nickelodeon before Spongebob? There was shit like Rocket Power, about skateboard kids, and any time I watched stuff like that I was bored out of my skull.

Then comes these other shows. Slightly more mature. Dragon Ball Z, at the time portrayed as an "action cartoon", filled with people actually dying, and villains who would kill, and heroes bleeding. Bleeding! In a cartoon! ::shock::

And you'd get crap like Gundam Wing and whatever else was on at the time. You get these shows that appeal to TEENAGERS, as opposed to little kids. And lo and behold, what's the biggest audience for anime?

It's still teenagers.

Now years later, the big shows that draw kids like my young teenage cousin are things like Naruto and Bleach... or Rosario + Vampire, for the tits. (he'd love this place, if I introduced him to it.)

Really, these shows appeal to teens. Something like Death Note appeals to just a slightly older teen than Naruto, maybe, but nonetheless it's the difference between a 14 year old who thinks ninjas are cool, and an edgelord 16 year old who'd otherwise drift into some bullshit goth subculture.

Also, what this guy says:

>>133961899

They aren't washed in tons and tons of Japanese culture, so they're still accessible.

And as others have said too, they ARE accessible thanks to being on tv.
>>
>>133960089
I don't know how it works in the USA, but in my country no "normie" would ever have the slightest interest in most of those except DBZ and Death Note. What DBZ has is that it's the one they watched when they were kids and Death Note is a mistery/suspense show with detectives, police and the kind of stuff that's so common in western shows.
>>
>>133961963
>Soon they will realize how The World is one of the less strange stands.
It wasn't strange at all.
In fact, along with Magician's Red and Star Platinum, it's one of the few stands whose powers can be straight up compared to capeshit.
>>
>>133960089
if they werent on toonami they wouldnt be seen its not a normie trait to have to look up any of these anime its given to them in a way they can digest with weak non anime filled stomachs also sao is like tokyo ghoul it attracts a certain kind of autism crowd
>>
>>133960089
There's no moe and there's no sexualized loli. Nothing wrong about that desu. Hating on gateway anime is just a meme at this point since it's actually what got majority of /a/ into anime in the first place. With the exception of narushit, their fanbase is cancerous.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.