[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sidonia thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 16

Since Sidonia has left so many questions unanswered, can we have a theory/headcanon thread of sorts?

For instance, here is my theory about the origin of the gauna:

>both placenta and true bodies are in there own way reactive only with Hyggs particles and kabi
>gauna and placenta itself are very attracted to these
>humanity has encountered gauna just about everywhere in the universe since they started using Hyggs particles for energy
>gauna don't seem to have any inherent intelligence, but can make use of many of the traits of things they copy including, to some degree, the intelligence of the human brain, possibly in a way similar to natural selection favouring advantageous traits
So my theory is that Hyggs particles may be kind of a seed of gauna matter. Perhaps placenta and true cores consist of a type of matter different from ordinary matter, Hyggs particles being their version of ordinary electromagnetic energy.

Maybe Hyggs particles just kind of supercharged simple self-replicating organisms to grow and adapt much faster, who knows? But essentially the Hyggs energy would essentially seed gauna wherever they are used for energy.

Also trying to think of some possible explanation for the strange kabi-structure, as well as a theory about Hoshijiro's backstory.

Anyway, this is probably pure autistic speculation and Nihei probably never thought about it all that deeply.
>>
Why do you retards don't understand that not everything has to be explained. Bet you cried like a bitch for a week because he never explained cheese either.
>>
>>133943893
I'm not saying that all these things necessarily should be explained in the story. I would have liked some things to have been explored a little further and I think that the story ended up quite shallow and straight forward considering the quite elaborate setup and world building, but that doesn't have much to do with this.

I pretty much just want to hear other peoples theories about things they might have wondered about in the story.
>>
bump?
>>
>>133943893
>autism
>>
>>133943893
man fuck off
>>
File: izana swimsuit.jpg (143KB, 557x1132px) Image search: [Google]
izana swimsuit.jpg
143KB, 557x1132px
I'd spitroast Izana together with Yuhata.

Yuhata. ;_;
>>
Guess I'll just throw out one more, maybe that'll get others going.

Here's one about Hoshijiro.
>she generally has a gentle and kind demeanor with a hint of sadness
>she is very diligent and serious when it comes to training and piloting
>she seems to hesitantly agree to probably fuck Kunato to help her career (can't remember if this was in the manga)
>she doesn't want people to die for her
>she isn't sure why she became a cadet
>she would wants UNDERSTANDING
>the checkup after their rescue shows that her health has gotten worse to some degree
My theory is that she might have come of one of the poorest parts of Sidonia, often having to take care of people close to her and seeing many or perhaps all of them end up in the biothermal reactor due to health issues. As such, she might feel disdain for the leaderships militaristic and authoritarian mindset in a situation, that may not necessarily require it (it is mentioned early on that they had a good chance of avoided in the LMUS alltogether and gauna don't give a shit about humans unless they're using Hyggs particles and kabi). This also fits with her possibly having had to whore herself out because she wanted to climb the ranks and attempt to change something herself, but being unable to due to her social position. Another hint of this may be Benisuzume's constant laughing during battle, possibly the gauna making use of her hatred of Sidonia's regime.

That she isn't sure why she became a pilot might show how she ended up aimless after she wasn't ever able to really change anything and the fact that all the people close to here might have been dead already. Her strong infatuation with Nagate as well as BeniJiro's lust might stem from how she finally was able to find love again and saw Nagate as a person who could create the change she was seeking, perhaps shown in how much she is willing to risk in order to save him as well as how she chose not to say she was alright when she drifted away from Sidonia.
>>
>hoshijiro's backstory
what?
There is no backstory. Why would she even need one?

This next one is objective fact:
The Gauna that terraformed LEM-VII is the same Gauna that gave Earth a big hug.

>supercharged simple self-replicating organisms
That's just life. If it were life, then there's no way Nihei wouldn't have mentioned it. Instead they're just mystery particles, which should be obviated by the name Hyggs.
>>
>>133946120
Come on, anon. I know there doesn't need to be an explanation for everything, but that doesn't mean you can't theorize about it. Besides, Hoshijiro/her clones are pretty damn important for the first half of the story. A bit more depth than just a few hints would make her a more interesting and tragic character.
>>
>>133946120
>The Gauna that terraformed LEM-VII is the same Gauna that gave Earth a big hug.
Forgot to ask about this. Was this actually spelled out in some way or is that just your (possibly very right) theory?
>>
>>133946710
No. Nihei never explicitly spelled it out. It's just obvious.
Early on it was declared that humanity never found another Earth, no matter how much they looked, until the point that Sidonia was the only seed ship left standing.
After the Benisuzume and giant grill arcs it was declared that Gauna can only copy things that they have absorbed.

LEM-VII was terraformed by the Gauna. There are no Earth or Earth-like planets in existence. Gauna can only copy things that they have absorbed.

So the logical conclusion by deduction is that the Gauna copied Earth onto LEM-VII.

Of course, there's also the idea that the Gauna would have eaten any other Earth-like planets, but there's no evidence to support this.
>>
>>133947232
That's definitely a compelling theory. Although I wouldn't necessarily say that it's an absolute fact. But yeah, this is the kind of shit I was hoping for in this thread.
>>
>>133947232
Pretty much how we resolved our understanding in the 2nd Sidonia thread, after the btfo Izana + Yuhata ending. That was a fun day.
>>
File: honoka hoodie.jpg (457KB, 690x1417px) Image search: [Google]
honoka hoodie.jpg
457KB, 690x1417px
So what's the situation with Samari, big nose and Sei?

Who's with who, and whose children are those?

I want a Honoka girlfriend.
>>
Why did this end so shit. I liked it for a while. I wanted it to be good, i really did.
>>
>>133947997
It's sad. It did a great setup and some very interesting world building and it put hints of possible plot threads all over the place, but in the end it kind of just went with a rather shallow "kill all gauna and that's that" story with some interesting stuff being touched upon but never really going anywhere substantial.
>>
File: 53698991.jpg (382KB, 800x1129px) Image search: [Google]
53698991.jpg
382KB, 800x1129px
At least she's happy
>>
>>133948148
>>133947997
That ending was probably more like Nihei going "I'm tired of this story, there's no more science fiction left to be had, let's just end it"
And then the shipper-fags got what they wanted and he was done.
>>
my favorite part about sidonia was that everyone came on for a good ol' sci fi human extinction epic, and really it was just a genderbending harem romance where the space monster penis wins. It's pretty much a stealth propaganda piece targeted at this site's userbase
>>
>>133948277
Thing is, there were tons of sci-fi topics that were briefly played with, there were so many possible ways the story could have gone and he chose to pursue probably the most straightforward and uninspired one.

But yeah, I do get the impression that he got tired of it and stopped trying.
>>
>>133948365
Ironically this is the only story of that sort that Nihei has ever written and probably will ever write.
>>
>>133947232
>Sidonia was the only seed ship left standing
Wrong. Sidonia lost contacts with other ships because long distance and the different courses.
>>
File: Benisuzume .webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Benisuzume .webm
3MB, 640x360px
>benis
>>
>>133948365
Now that I think about it, that kind of makes me wanna try to filter out the harem-shit in the anime for a pure sci-fi experience.
>>
>>133948531
>he didn't do that the first time
Most things are a more enjoyable experience when you ignore the tripe that the plebeians enjoy.

>google making me solve turkeys
Niggers are going to be in for a big surprise once Google's object recognition algorithms detect nigger hands as turkeys.
>>
Will there be a third season?
>>
>>133948618
depends on if netflix funds it
>>
>>133948618
I fucking hope for an anime original ending if it happens.
>>
>>133948680
It's not my favorite, and the CG was just way too choppy a lot of the time (See >>133948498, although the slo mo looks phenomenal). I didn't have the "uncanny valley" complaint either, it's mostly just the chop that bothered me.
Haremshit aside, I really liked the world that they created and it'd be nice to spend more time in it.
>>
File: 906890890.png (4KB, 222x211px) Image search: [Google]
906890890.png
4KB, 222x211px
Sidonia is Nihei's worst.
>>
>>133948590
>>133948531
there hasn't been a good sci fi 'remnants of humanity vs overwhelming monsters' anime in a while, but there really isn't ever going to be another sci fi transhuman harem show. No harem fans are expecting a penis monster or an unfistable android, so I liked this manga just for being that weird in its own right.

Has there actually been a decent anime of this kind of story without something dumb bogging it down? Things like muvluv, freezing, eva, and blue gender all got tripped up by the non-sci fi (well, except blue gender, but the ending really sucked)
>>
>>133948953
>there hasn't been a good sci fi 'remnants of humanity vs overwhelming monsters'
There's one airing right now.
>>
>>133948953
I don't inherently mind the harem-shit. And yeah, such a varied harem was kind of fun. But I still expected more of the story and didn't want the harem-shit to actually take the spotlight.

Besides, what good is a harem if best girl dies? And then her clones are stuffed away and forgotten? So yeah, for me it didn't do the harem very well either.

>>133949042
Which one?
>>
>>133949042
are you talking about fafner? That and gunparade march are probably the only ones I havent checked out yet
>>
File: Fafner Guide.png (4MB, 949x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Fafner Guide.png
4MB, 949x1072px
>>133949108
>>133949119
I am talking about Fafner, yeah.

It's got a fairly large investment to get into, and it's fairly light on the sci-fi honestly, but Goddamn is it satisfying.
It's also absurdly internally consistent.

Here's /m/'s graphic if you wanna check it out.
>>
>>133949108
I could have gone with more stupid freakshow harme antics, or more focus on the main plot. Nihei clearly just gave up writing in the last arc, so I would'v'e been happier if he ended it later in a way where he gave a shit.

>what good is a harem if best girl dies
izana never died. But harems aren't supposed to be good, that's why best girl never wins
>>
>>133949432
>izana
>girl
Kill you're self transhumanist shitlord.
>>
>>133948862
BLAME! is second worst.
>>
>>133949267
it's xebec? sold
>>
File: 1424454845165.png (109KB, 163x480px) Image search: [Google]
1424454845165.png
109KB, 163x480px
my waifu for laifu
>>
>>133949554
why'd you cut her arm off like that?
>>
>>133949267
I'll have to check it out, thanks.

>>133949432
>best girl
>anyone other than Hoshijiro
Although I get why many find her boring, especially if they started with the manga. She never got the development I was hoping for. But yeah, that's one of the reasons I started this thread in the first place, because I wanted to throw out a theory about it.

I find it all the more sad that Sidonia ended up the way it did, because I thought I had found a series that satisfied my inner waifufag and my love for sci-fi epics, intricate stories and great world building. Too bad it was not meant to be.
>>
>>133949647
Yeah, I'm a bitter Hoshijirofag too. That bit at the end where Nihei revealed that Tsumugi is literally being Ochiai and not letting her be free really pissed me off. It was like, one last kick in the ribs after getting dragged through the mud.

So for me, Sidonia was a colossal failure on every single level. The harem was awful and NTR-filled, the scifi was half-baked, and not even the mystery was good enough.
>>
>>133949513
The movie is Xebec collaborating with Orange. Exodus is Xebec Zwei with Orange.
More or less the same staff all the way through, save the writer thing.
It's not quite as dingy feeling as Sidonia.
>>133949647
No problem.

Also, you my man. Hoshijiro was tops.

Also, fwiw Fafner has an amazingly likeable cast, and some incredible girls.
>>133949610
True to life depiction? :_:
>>
>>133949795
It really does fall flat in the end. I wouldn't really blame Tsumugi for it, although I find it strange how literally no one objects to it when it seems quite a lot like putting someone's brain into the body of a coma patient. And just from a writing perspective it feels really dismissive of Hoshijiro and her clones as characters and what was one of the most central and most interesting plot lines.
>>
File: 537027588.jpg (129KB, 689x600px) Image search: [Google]
537027588.jpg
129KB, 689x600px
>>
File: 122116.jpg (409KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
122116.jpg
409KB, 1600x1200px
>>133949647
so you haven't watched crest of the stars yet?
>>
>>133950077
Nope. And it might be great, but I really don't like that art style. Unfortunately that tends to mean a lot for me. I might give it a chance though. Fafner's first, though.
>>
>>133950077
Well, I have seen Fafner. Sell me on it cause I've been having trouble getting into my current backlog.
>>
>>133949937
it does kind of fit how utilitarian that society is, though. If you wanna get analytical about it, in order to fight the gauna, humanity stopped valuing an individual's life or even connection to their original bodies. Also, it just shows how sidonia bends over backwards for nagate. Like, you think they'd transplant any of the crippled en sisters into a hoshijiro suit unless nagate was dating them?
>>
>>133950489
Well, that is a pretty good explanation although it does nothing to make me feel better about it.

Well what probably annoys me the most is how Nagate doesn't seem to give a single fuck. With how longingly he thought about her when BeniJiro was shipped away would make you think that he would be entirely alright with how they did this.
>>
>>133950275
it's a love story between a military officer of a space elf (human subspecies altered for living in space) empire and the hostage prince of a human planet they conquered, set behind the war between the two species. Lots of battles involving drones and mines.
You see things mostly thru the wacko space elf nobles' eyes, so it gets a bit like following a roman military campaign
>>
>>133950661
*he wouldn't

Though, thinking back, I guess you could argue that he didn't want to bring it up because it would seem a bit dickish toward Smoogy and the longingly looking out the window and narration about Hoshijiro could be interpreted as him caring.

Though in the end, it still pisses me of from a writing perspective, because Nihei just kind of used her as a convenient way to bring his penis waifu back after forgetting about BeniJiro for the last 40-something chapters.
>>
>>133950741
Picked up. Many thanks.
>>
>>133950661
I'm pretty sure if you keep thinking on any of the character aspects of this series, you won't feel better. Nagate might be a parody of shounen/harem mc; all he really thinks about is fighting and food. I really did read most of sidonia as a dark comedy, tho
>>133950822
I think he just brought her back as a human because he knew the world wasn't ready for the first man/40ft penis marriage. He couldn't do that and pull off the izana/yuhata twist at the same time, even in japan
>>
>>133950945
He could have thought up some shit like creating a new body for her or something else that doesn't involve desecrating another character, especially one that was pretty damn important. But yeah, whining about it won't change it.

Considering how the anime put more focus on Hoshijiro and how she was considered the main heroine (though I guess that might have changed with the second season), it seems there might at least be a decent chance that they do an anime original that gives her a more dignified ending.
>>
>>133947877
>Kids said "Uncle Tsuruuji"
They likely have their own families
>>
File: iceman and nate are not amused.png (723KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
iceman and nate are not amused.png
723KB, 853x480px
Bought nine volumes.

Can't be arsed to buy the rest. Who else is in the same boat?
>>
>>133951273
I still wanna get my hands on the ones I'm missing up until the end of the last Benisuzume fight. It went to shit after that in my opinion.
>>
>>133951098
Yea as an izanafag I came to the conclusion that nagate's just kind of an asshole, and that's the point of his character. tho it'd be great if they decide to do another season, giving enough time for nihei to give a shit again and maybe push for a different ending.

The one thing the anime missed was all the technology & arms race stuff in the manga,so if they cover even half that stuff from the last arc it'll make my STEM happy
>>
>>133951273
Ah, just saw that that is actually volume 9, so yeah.
>>
>>133950945
>tho
>>
>>133943597
I will be forever mad. Fuck you Nihei. Hoshijiro and her spawns are the best.
>>
File: 14427574666.png (1MB, 2230x590px) Image search: [Google]
14427574666.png
1MB, 2230x590px
>>133943597
>>
>>133950945
>He couldn't do that and pull off the izana/yuhata twist at the same time, even in japan

Could he have done it without the Izana/Yuhata twist, then? I think it would have been enough of a twist for the third gender character we've been following, who became a girl, to end up falling for a girl. It would go again the whole idea of what third genders were engineered for.

Really, there were hints of Yuhata's interest in Izana, and Yuhata often referred to and treated Izana as a man. There were no hints of Yuhata wanting to be trans. It was bull. I don't think Nihei was willing to add a gay relationship even if it would have been a really unusual gay relationship.

It really just throws the character Yuhata as we knew her in the garbage, having such a sudden and dramatic change like that.
>>
>>133952746
That and ch63 were good days.
>>
>>133948241
Is she, though?
>>
>>133953179
There was also absolutely nothing to suggest that Izana had any interest in Yuhata. Every scene that now suggests Yuhata was interested also included Izana going 'what the fuck are you doing?'.
>>
>>133947877
Samari is an immortal, and I'd assume she was made so because of her and THI's enduring contributions to Sidonia. Not so huge a mystery there, but I would have loved to learn more.
>>
>>133947877
Sei already had a wife, he wasn't sticking it in Samari.
>>133955804
Samari is the pilot, not the mechanic.
>>
>>133955844
oh whoops my bad

Didn't she have fucking kids with Sei? With Tsuruichi getting sidelined? That killed me inside.
>>
File: sasaki.jpg (272KB, 1132x746px) Image search: [Google]
sasaki.jpg
272KB, 1132x746px
Do you think Kobayashi, Yure and Sasaki go prowling for younger men on Lem now?

>>133955804
I think you mixed up Samara and Sasaki.
>>
If you ask me, Tsumugi didn't really survive. The being that lives with Tanikaze is an amalgamation of human, gauna, and chimera, without truly being any of former. The fragments of Hoshijiro's personality and memories had melded into what was left of Tsumugi's mind.

I find that incredibly sad, for whatever reason.
>>
>>133955872
Like I just said, Sei was established ages ago as having a wife. They might be his kids, but they aren't Samari's.
>>
File: knightsofsidonia2_1[1].jpg (452KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
knightsofsidonia2_1[1].jpg
452KB, 849x1200px
Polygon just keeps getting better and better at their style.
I wonder if they'll ever release any media on how their graphics pipeline works, or develop their own algorithm for a future anime and present them to a conference like SIGGRAPH
>>
I like to think that Sidnoia is the sequel to Abara and in the space of the time machine warp humanity sent out seed ships.
>>
>>133955882
>Two left hands

Kobayashi si the mother of Tanikaze's child, Tsumugi's the stepmother.
Girl never calls Tsumugi mom, and while standing right there next to Tanikaze, he asks his daughter if she'll come with him to spologize to her mother later.
>>
>>133955973
That makes me a lot happier, then. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
>>
It'd be really nice if the anime wasn't shitty CG.
>>
>>133943893
Anon, some of us like to understand stuff to better our graps of the universe and develop ourselves while others like to stay ignorent for the rest of their lives and believe in god.
>>
>>133949795
>That bit at the end where Nihei revealed that Tsumugi is literally being Ochiai

But that's not the same at all. Ochiai took over the body of someone who was still alive. What Tsumugi took over was just a placenta. It is not Hoshijiro. It copied her because that's what gauna do, but Hoshijiro is dead. She is not being hurt by Tsumugi taking over the placenta because it is not her.
>>
>>133943597
Wait for Sidonia no kishi :TNG for your answers
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.